Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Feb 25, 2016 12:22 AM

Sep 2015
Decided to pick up a new anime so here I am with GATE. First episode was good. Liked the concept, it had some funny parts as well. The best was when the prime minister said well it's in Japan so It's Japan's lol. Liked the main Character and the OP and ED songs where meh. 4/5
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
May 17, 2016 3:38 PM

Dec 2012
Holy smokes, what a start that was! I didn't think it would get so serious right off the bat. And for a fresh change of pace, the military is actually going to be a viable force instead of the punching bag to make the enemy look strong.

I'm all in.
May 18, 2016 6:23 PM

Mar 2015
Ratohnhaketon said:
Holy smokes, what a start that was! I didn't think it would get so serious right off the bat. And for a fresh change of pace, the military is actually going to be a viable force instead of the punching bag to make the enemy look strong.

I'm all in.

It is a really good ride. Itami's soldiers really act like actual soldiers. Enjoy!
The sword that takes life gives life
Jul 11, 2016 6:03 PM

Apr 2009
He repeatedly said his hobby comes first but I can't believe he's not a bit excited to see to the other world, it's his entire fantasy world brought to life! There's probably horrible and painful deaths waiting on the other side but hey it's the price to pay for a medieval, magical fantasy world. LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 15, 2016 2:58 AM

Jul 2013
wow what are those medieval people thinking? They just barged in and killed every person they saw lol fucking barbarians. SDF will own them.
Sep 25, 2016 4:21 AM

Jan 2013
Well that felt very random.

The military knew very quickly what to do with the GATE just appearing out of nowhere.
Itami suddenly gets a rank of First Lieutenant because he helped a few civilians during the "attack".
I don't feel like the MC had to be an otaku persé but whatever, I'll roll with it.
Nov 9, 2016 1:27 PM

Jul 2013
Friendly reminder that Gate predicted the future:

Dec 19, 2016 11:21 PM

Dec 2012
33 year old otaku MC who only works to support his hobby gets involved in a dimensional war against his will. I like because its a WTF.

LMAO at Youji hoping the event wasn't cancelled.

I like how Youji ran to that woman and reached out his hand to her while sounding like a cliche hero. I'm disappointed because her cute self didn't fall for it. Could of had himself a girl.

Good song as expected by KK&TAR. Reminding me of HoTD again. Good ED song.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 5, 2017 3:53 PM

Feb 2014
So, hundreds of people are being slaughtered by an army of barbarians that spilled out of an inter-dimensional portal in the middle of Tokyo, and all this otaku trash of a protagonist cares about is whether this little commotion will cause his doujin event to get cancelled.
I hope this gets better and the MC becomes less obnoxious. The only thing I like so far is the decent production value.
Jan 12, 2017 4:13 PM

Mar 2010
Not bad The way things have started is making me think some type of god just wanted to see what world is the best, and created this gate.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 4, 2018 10:38 PM

Feb 2010
This is nothing like I thought it would be. So I'm excited to see how it will be like.
I like how he was so upset about the exhibit being cancelled when they were being attached haha.
I thought it was all going to be in a fantasy world. It's interesting to see Japan as wel.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Feb 22, 2018 4:02 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I like the premise so far, kinda funny no one ever thought about doing this.
But I m here for the supposed best girl, so I cant wait to see her later on!
Feb 27, 2018 6:11 PM
Nov 2017
I couldn’t get through a quarter of the first episode from how fucking ugly the mc was. He looks like a fucking background character! If you’re going to make an anime about such an interesting topic, at least make a young mc. I was excited up until I saw the mc’s face. I started cringing so hard my face is permanently stuck in a sneer.
Mar 28, 2018 11:53 AM

Mar 2016
The opening is amazing! And the ending is fine... The action was good and hopefully, more of the violence will be shown fully...

Personally, I think GATE will be epic. There are a ton of isekai and reverse isekai show out there, but this is something else. Not 1 person went to another world on a 1-way trip but instead armies that can go to each other's world whenever they like it using the gate.

Did GATE just predict the future? The president of America looked very similar to Trump. (This show was aired in 2015, before Trump become a president)
ShadowkillZMar 28, 2018 2:44 PM
Mar 29, 2018 7:41 PM

Mar 2015
Yato_Deku said:
I couldn’t get through a quarter of the first episode from how fucking ugly the mc was. He looks like a fucking background character! If you’re going to make an anime about such an interesting topic, at least make a young mc. I was excited up until I saw the mc’s face. I started cringing so hard my face is permanently stuck in a sneer.

I like it because he does look older: the man is an Infantry Officer, and he's been through both Ranger School and Special Forces school. That would make him mid-twenties at the youngest possible. Being 33 is not an issue, and I think his life experience allows him to make better decisions.
Apr 17, 2018 6:55 PM

Jul 2016
I am pretty interested so far, gonna watch a few more epiodes and see how it goes
Nov 13, 2018 11:17 PM

Mar 2012
Only wants to work to support his hobbies -> Is in JSDF

Logic
Mar 30, 2019 5:23 AM

Apr 2014
This was so Earth Defense Force At the Beginning. Even The Names Are so Similar.
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Apr 21, 2019 3:59 PM

Nov 2010
I find the premise of this anime very interesting so far. Also, plus points for making the MC 30+ yrs old. Not some random teenager like usual.

I wish there was more explanation on why the gate appeared out of nowhere and why the imperial army suddenly invaded the modern world.
Jun 26, 2019 4:45 PM

Jun 2015
No fam, I can't let slide how an otaku nobody is somehow able to disarm a fucking soldier and make his way into the military. That's some hogwash and clear wish-fulfillment that's a bad omen for things to come in this show.
Jun 26, 2019 7:03 PM

Mar 2015
AltoRoark said:
No fam, I can't let slide how an otaku nobody is somehow able to disarm a fucking soldier and make his way into the military. That's some hogwash and clear wish-fulfillment that's a bad omen for things to come in this show.

Who? Itami?

He is a regular JSDF Soldier who was off duty to attend the convention. Soldiers do not wear uniforms every minute of every day ;)
Jun 26, 2019 9:09 PM

Jun 2015
Top_Sergeant said:
AltoRoark said:

Who? Itami?

He is a regular JSDF Soldier who was off duty to attend the convention. Soldiers do not wear uniforms every minute of every day ;)

Oh really? I must've missed that somewhere. Thanks for the correction.
Jun 27, 2019 4:12 AM

Mar 2015
AltoRoark said:

No worries! It was implied, rather than stated. At the end of episode 1 we see him as a JSDF Officer and you cannot just become a military officer overnight, therefore he must have been a Soldier the entire time. Later episodes clarify everything, including his experience and training.
Top_SergeantJun 27, 2019 4:16 AM
Nov 27, 2019 6:06 AM

Sep 2012
the other side is FKed if they don't bend the knee :D

they had no idea with who they are messing with huge mistake before u take action u must know ur opponent that's rule number1

AltoRoark said:
Top_Sergeant said:

Who? Itami?

Top_Sergeant said:
AltoRoark said:

No worries! It was implied, rather than stated. At the end of episode 1 we see him as a JSDF Officer and you cannot just become a military officer overnight, therefore he must have been a Soldier the entire time. Later episodes clarify everything, including his experience and training.

yup he was the way he acted went straight to action it made it clear he was in the army before that hes some1 that has at-least 1covert or other military mission under hes belt
Sugram22Nov 27, 2019 6:10 AM
Mar 4, 2020 5:39 PM

Nov 2019
Alright episode, nothing special.
Mar 9, 2020 4:42 PM

Sep 2019
What the fuck was that? Another shitty show. :/
Jul 1, 2020 10:42 PM
Oct 2019
Ok-but-not-great first episode. Not sold on the MC yet, if I'll like the character or not.

I wonder if that little girl that got separated from her family, and seemingly lost a parent, will play a role later on.
HagePotPotatoJul 1, 2020 11:48 PM
Jul 25, 2020 12:42 PM

Jul 2008
I thought at first he was dreaming all this up. He was a civilian and all of the sudden the police are following his orders?

I thought that was weird, but he was military. I also don't see why he was getting all that recognition. Maybe it was deserved but wasn't shown well. He saved 1 police officer and went with the crowd to the castle.

Anyway though, modern military vs medieval/fantasy forces? Yes please.
Dec 27, 2020 10:17 PM

Dec 2018
A normal first episode, It's cool that the main male protagonist is an adult rather than lot of another anime protagonists is just a teen boy.

It's weird that police just listen and freely giving Itami information about the surrounding... everyone would not know that he is a soldier with his casual outfit. And do military training life that easy going??? feel so unreal about that part xD

Apr 1, 2021 5:03 AM

Sep 2012
Nikmomo93 said:
A normal first episode, It's cool that the main male protagonist is an adult rather than lot of another anime protagonists is just a teen boy.

It's weird that police just listen and freely giving Itami information about the surrounding... everyone would not know that he is a soldier with his casual outfit. And do military training life that easy going??? feel so unreal about that part xD

well they started to listen to Itami after the phone call they probably mentioned Itami being in the army
Apr 1, 2021 4:07 PM

Mar 2015
Sugram22 said:
Nikmomo93 said:

well they started to listen to Itami after the phone call they probably mentioned Itami being in the army

From the reaction of the Police Officers, and being that they were right at the gate to the palace, I think it might have been the Emperor who gave the order to let the civilians inside the Palace grounds.
Jan 21, 2022 4:25 AM
Mar 2020
Cant belive the concept somehow is more whacky than I expected.
Plot's a bit unbelivable so far, murderous hordes with no care or strategy and no disorientation in new lands? Plus being crowned a hero for not really doing all that much, exept a single act of murder with no emotional reponse, wich... YIKES.
Mar 15, 2022 11:12 AM

May 2008
This appears to be an interesting anime, good looking art, interesting protagonist and it answers the age old question - what happens when a medieval force meets an armored division?

Some private has to spend the weekend washing the gore out of the tank treads.
Aug 27, 2022 2:23 PM
Dec 2021
bnwadfhabwjkdfwad
Dec 8, 2022 4:24 AM

Dec 2022
A very very interesting setting. We've seen fantasy creatures attack the human world all the time. In this case, the humans go to the realm of fantasy.

The OP really made me happy and gave this anime a definite push by showing us how the army helps in the fantasy world. I really liked that.

Jan 9, 2023 7:45 AM
Nov 2022
Trump was in it so at the very least it gets a 3/5
Mar 5, 2023 2:15 PM
Mar 2023
The first episode was an interesting watch, though I'm curious to see what direction it will go in.
Apr 1, 2023 9:23 AM
Mar 2015
What a yawn fest

Did they seriously think once they make the protag an otaku and he's instantly relatable? Everything abt this show feels so soulless
Jun 20, 2023 9:27 PM
Jul 2018
Holy cow, what a very interesting anime! I am invested to watch more and more and more! All of it! RIP to the Japanese people who lost their loved ones and their own lives. May they rest in peace in another world. Interesting how the defensive army force became the offensive one lol
Jul 21, 2023 11:16 AM
Jul 2023
Gate is my top favorite anime i ever watched! it is sad that it still has no 3rd season though because my friends and i cannot wait to watch it! we fell in love with it so pls make 3rd season... we guys are from Europe. specific countries: Austria, Estonia and Belgium. 1 friend from Texas and another 1 from the Philippines. we all hope for it and we all hope you guys will do it!!! our hopes are high and will remain high even if it never happens!
Dec 4, 2023 6:42 AM

Nov 2023
Damn, very interesting topic ngl. Modern world vs Medieval but with magic world
Dec 5, 2023 5:12 PM

Dec 2022
This protagonist is going to take some getting used to. Everything from his bumbling mannerisms to his strangely elongated face is unpalatable to me. Also have to question if he really did enough during that invasion to warrant national hero status.

All of the invading armies seem to be pre-industrial and/or based on folklore and legends, but they're all very violent. Their first reaction to being transported to a different world is indiscriminate slaughter, universally?

Shaded Horizon

Jan 7, 3:35 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Seems okay. But are we really going to settle for just "okay", especially when the first season of 2024 has just started and there's like 30 new anime I want to try out? Yeah, nah. I'll give it at least a couple more episodes before most likely dropping it though. Only picked it up in the first place because Gigguk called it underrated, and we don't even really have the same tastes.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 19, 7:01 PM
Jan 2024
It's just JSDF propaganda
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2015

207 by GooseHybrid »»
Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

186 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

291 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2015

283 by Myetx »»
Mar 30, 1:27 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2015

188 by Strahan »»
Mar 24, 6:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.