Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 24, 2015 8:05 AM

Jul 2008
Awesome episode leading to the finale, they gotta have a second cour surely...rushing all the way to the competition and squeezing everything into the last episode is unwise especially if there is no second season :S
Jun 24, 2015 8:38 AM

Jul 2010
GANBARE KUMIKO!!!
Jun 24, 2015 9:32 AM

Jun 2013
vodall said:
I agree that the animation is good, but I think the art style is pretty garbage. Way too glossy. Looks like everything's bathed in some sort of oil.

Yeah, I can see your point regarding the glossy-ness, lol. I'd have to disagree with you on the art style, but that's just a matter of personal taste I guess. Regardless, I still think KyoAni does what (almost) no other studio can do when it comes to the detail and quality of their TV series.
Jun 24, 2015 10:04 AM

Apr 2015
I am honestly starting to feel not worthy to rate this kind of beauty.
Jun 24, 2015 12:56 PM

Jun 2014
she got eupho-kun, end the series now
Jun 24, 2015 3:39 PM
Jan 2012
Genix said:

A really good scene. It's one of the top ones of the entire anime too. It highlights really well how she went from an uncaring nobody to somebody that actually wants to succeed.

It's a good scene. There is nothing more dramatic in this world than a teen girl running with tears in her eyes.
Jun 24, 2015 4:16 PM

May 2012
another great episode lol, i know that getting cut feel, though i would always play anyways lol, fuck the po-leese
Jun 24, 2015 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
Stark700 said:
I'm pretty damn proud of how far Reina came tbh.

I'm pretty damn proud of how far Kumiko has come. Her development from episode 1 is HUGE. She's such a good character.

I f*cking love this show.
Jun 24, 2015 6:16 PM

Nov 2007
Does anyone know that Kumiko shares her bathtub with Eupho-kun? So does Asuka-senpai with hers? :D

Kumiko x Eupho-kun!

Reina x Trumpet-Taki!

Asuka-senpai x Silver Eupho!

Shocking right?

Sapphire and Kumiko are so mean. :D
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 24, 2015 6:23 PM

Mar 2013
that thing is filled with spit I wouldn't put it in my bathtub
Jun 24, 2015 6:45 PM

Apr 2015
fst said:

...And you rather blow at it everyday..makes sense......
#CHEXIT
Jun 24, 2015 6:50 PM

Mar 2013
Imeon said:
fst said:

Well you have your own mouthpiece and you blow into it, as opposed to sucking on it, so it's fine.
Jun 24, 2015 7:01 PM

Apr 2015
fst said:
Imeon said:

Well you have your own mouthpiece and you blow into it, as opposed to sucking on it, so it's fine.

Bacteria is there, whether you suck or blow at it. The fact you kiss it everyday.....
#CHEXIT
Jun 24, 2015 7:26 PM

Apr 2014
This ep was too real. I've been in Kumiko's place re: all her band issues.

So, so happy we got some focus on Shuuichi. It would have been a real shame if his and Kumiko's friendship would have been flushed into the gutter just because of the awkwardness stemming from a one-sided crush that Kumiko neither expected nor knew how to handle.

Don't flush good friendships down the drain, man. ♡
currycurryJun 24, 2015 7:51 PM
Jun 24, 2015 8:37 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Oh look, an episode not dedicated to shipping, but instead to the actual story of a band. And hey, it turned out decently! Maybe KyoAni should've focused on that the whole time instead...

The comedic part with Natsuki was actually pretty funny. It goes to show this series would've been much better off if it were a comedy than a bad high school melodrama.

So we get a yuri filled 3-5 minutes in the last episode, then in this one, Kumiko mentions being alone with Taki-Sensei and for the first time we actually see Reina give a fuck about something. This just shows how terribly handled the relationships are in this show. It just flip flops back and forth to a point where it's just plain offensive. Make up your minds KyoAni, everyone has stopped caring at this point.

Gorgeous animation and art, as usual.

Probably the best episode in weeks.

currycurry said:
So, so happy we got some focus on Shuuichi. It would have been a real shame if his and Kumiko's friendship would have been flushed into the gutter just because of the awkwardness stemming from a one-sided crush that Kumiko neither expected nor knew how to handle.

Hit the nail on the head.
Jun 24, 2015 10:48 PM

Jun 2015
Everything that needed to be said, has already been said. I'll add only these:

I enjoyed the visual humor at 3'21”. When Kuniko thanks Asuka for demonstrating the part, they don't show Asuka getting out up from the chair to step forward. Instead, Asuka is instantly playing with Kuniko's face.

Aoi's appearance was necessary. It was a resolution for one of the conflicts in the story, and placed here as a contrast to Kuniko's naiveté. Aoi was the one of only three people who understood the commitment level the the class had voted for, and the effort necessary to realize that commitment. Aoi innately understood she was not prepared to go there, and that wasn't her priority. In comparison, Kuniko's desire to improve grows during the episode, but it only now does it dawn on her the massive effort it will take to achieve her desire.

Reina's advanced skills are partly because she gets encouragement at home. Kuniko is getting pushback, in her home, from her sister about playing / practicing too much, and how band should not be a priority, best school should be. Sister is challenging Kuniko's priorities. This is a very real problem among band members, and an impediment to improvement.

Reina apologizes for being smug, Kaori returns the gesture, apologizing for dragging her into it.
Endearing for both, but it feels as if things are being quickly and neatly wrapped up for an end.

But everyone must comment on the last scene between Kuniko and Reina,
- I shall paraphrase:

Kuniko: I was alone with Taki-sensei until now . . .
Reina: 0.0
Kuniko: . . . . Taki-sensei said . . .
Reina: *o*
Kuniko: . . ooohh shiny! (eupho-kun)
Reina: T.T
Jun 24, 2015 11:11 PM
Jul 2018
Scarm said:
[...]Reina's advanced skills are partly because she gets encouragement at home. Kuniko is getting pushback, in her home, from her sister about playing / practicing too much, and how band should not be a priority, best school should be. Sister is challenging Kuniko's priorities. This is a very real problem among band members, and an impediment to improvement.[...]
Good point.
Kumiko playing her euphonium at home was one of the things I was hoping for - although I expected it to happen more as a real practice session, this was great as well. I wonder if Mamiko knows that Kumiko won't aim for higher education in music or a career in music as a performer because Kumiko has told her so in the past or if that was just said by her sister as an assumption, as no more than speculation to question her motives for persisting with the band - not accepting that doing so for its own sake would be valid as well even if Kumiko has no intention to seek a career in music after high school graduation.
I've been wondering if Kumiko would better off as a performer - at some point switching instruments for better job opportunities - or as a music educator of some form. The latter would allow her to stick with the euphonium as a semi-pro/amateur/personal hobby type musician. Maybe her talk with Taki sets her on a similar course...

If her infatuation with the euphonium is just a teenage crush, expected to be abandoned in the process of growing up... wink wink
removed-userJun 25, 2015 12:11 AM
Jun 25, 2015 1:59 AM

Jun 2013
That scene where Reina was jealous was hilarious
Jun 25, 2015 2:28 AM

Dec 2012
I still prefer Tuba-kun.
Jun 25, 2015 2:52 AM

Apr 2015
jlvyn14 said:

Reina going yandere is scary... she could have strangled Kumiko for trying to "steal" Sensei.
#CHEXIT
Jun 25, 2015 3:03 AM
Jul 2018
Kumiko really changed...their relationship (Kumiko and Reina's) is wonderful to see (even if it's a shoujo ai bait, I don't care).
I can't stop but wonder why is Kumiko's family dynamics so weird...that relationship between the two sisters is extremely awkward and upsets me a bit. xD
Is the last episode going to be the competition? I wouldn't mind a second season.
Jun 25, 2015 6:44 AM
Jun 2015
Imeon said:
jlvyn14 said:

Reina going yandere is scary... she could have strangled Kumiko for trying to "steal" Sensei.

I had chills this episode Reina thought was going to kill Kumiko When she mentioned Were you with your loved Taki-Sensei
Reina - 2.0 Yunno
or was it the result of the sum of these personangens between Yunno + + Sousuke Sagara Inaho + beautiful girl effect moeshit = Reina
Inaho - look static
Sousuke Sagara, Anti-Social, and not know how to act normally in front of others, has no spatial awareness.
Yunno - Look and Yandere way, when someone mentions her beloved, Taki-Sensei
Effect pretty girl Moeshit with yuris baits to favor thee the yuri fans and especially the otaku and masturbators, who can not stand the fact that his beloved goddess moeshit have interrese a man and lose its purity, when they discover such a relationship they break Dvds, burning poster and become depressed

Juhnny said:
Kumiko really changed...their relationship (Kumiko and Reina's) is wonderful to see (even if it's a shoujo ai bait, I don't care).
I can't stop but wonder why is Kumiko's family dynamics so weird...that relationship between the two sisters is extremely awkward and upsets me a bit. xD
Is the last episode going to be the competition? I wouldn't mind a second season.

yuri bait, not Shujo-ai, because they only act so only in those scenes, in other parts of the anime act normally, as if those events never existed.
So much so that out of yuri baits, has never been shown flashbacks, or that both were thinking the questioning your relationship, or even remembering those special moments.
Moments are plans that do not have any significago.

When it comes to Owari Personals Serafim of 1000x0 in Hibike the Yuu ratio and Mika is much deeper and true, flashbacks are shown of their happy moments, both think each other through their thoughts, which are shown in the anime not only in specific baits scenes.
Even today not having physical contact, Yuu and Mika relationship is much deeper, true and well portrayed, than a relationship comes down to three minutes in episode 8, 30 seconds in episode 9, and 1 minute in episode 12, and the rest of the anime, they usually act as if nothing had happened, as good friends, no flashbacks, thoughts recalling scenes or questions about times and the ratio are shown in the rest of the anime.

It is regrettable as fan of yuri content with bait scenes yuri to fanservice of otaku who do not want to see his beloved girl lost her purity for a man, and less physical contact signal or display of affection and friendship, as they create a relationship serious and loving.
The characters as if by magic, no one saw two lesbian from nowhere as if by magic.

For the love of God that bunch of fanatics duente, they will watch the anime normally and stop these delusions and hallucinations anime is about music, friendship and bands, not on novels and lesbian girls turning the NDA.

Contrast perfect tuned gestures, connected by the music even from a distance
Androide18Jun 25, 2015 8:04 AM
Jun 25, 2015 1:44 PM
Oct 2012
>People rooting for shuichi

WHY!? He is literally the worst, and most bland character in the entire show.

At this point I think all the anti-yuri people are rooting for it on principle. Reina and Kumiko makes for a way better pairing than shitichi.
Jun 25, 2015 2:54 PM

Apr 2015
CRUZINFORIT said:
>People rooting for shuichi

WHY!? He is literally the worst, and most bland character in the entire show.

At this point I think all the anti-yuri people are rooting for it on principle. Reina and Kumiko makes for a way better pairing than shitichi.

What did Shuichi do to you huh? He has small screen time to show "development and you judged him by that? LOL.

Be angry with Reina coz she declared it and said it.... "She loves Sensei." Deal with it.
#CHEXIT
Jun 25, 2015 2:58 PM
Mar 2013
Eps11, Kumiko said...

Reina: Will you stay with me?
Kumiko: Yeah.
Riena: You won't abandon me?
kumiko: If I do, you can kill me.
Reina: I'll actually kill you.
kimiko: You probably would, Reina. I'm prepared for that.

And the just few days later in the next Eps12., however, Kumiko said...

Kumiko: Actually, I was alone with Taki-Sensei until just now...

And she completely ignored Reina's repeated question.
Consequently...

Androide18 said:

Having listened to these conversations, I have to say the last panel of this picture is not just predictable but rather unavoidable. :-)
htsujiJun 29, 2015 4:02 AM
Jun 25, 2015 3:09 PM
Jan 2015
But really, let's say this scene[picture above] it looked like for instance if there was Gotou practicing instead there would be no change in Kumikos behavior she would have done same gesture for fellow player, no deeper meaning then let's say when a fellow truck driver honks another and he returns the gesture.

But when they do get to the scene that matters, when Shuchi stands behind Kumiko they made her thinking of Reina for her reason to go further and be better... which is kinda ironic(for Shuchi's stand point of view). And I was thinking it would be a good opportunity to settle it once and for all. They could ad at least add some Shuichi glimpses in there, but no, not single frame, as it stands only reason Shuichi has now is there that he exists, and nowadays thats all it takes, MC that is there and girls that surrounds them, romance in this one is no better then in those harem/ecchi shows, it will probably take one line for Kumiko to realize how she was madly in love for Shuichi and there you have it, extra materials to keep the show going.
Jun 25, 2015 3:38 PM

Jun 2008
fst said:
You should, but take your instrument apart first.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jun 25, 2015 7:46 PM

Jun 2015
Ode to a thread's lost sanity:

We morn today, Sanity,
and it's siblings Reason and Forbearance.

Presented to the thread is a music piece
a story's complexity full of promise.

It's beautiful, but mixed with
with many difficult phrases,
this, Everyone agrees.

Each and all write into the ethernet's air
a wishful interpenetration,
soon discord rules.

Reason, 'The score, the score!
We may find the truth if we could
but only play the score!'

One side screams, 'we will play as we like,
the way it should have been.'

Sanity, 'Please, play the score and nothing more,
the intent of the composer is there.'

'No', cry the other side, 'We play
what we think should be here!'

Forbearance, 'Certainly there is room for interpenetration,
but only for that which is not clearly written here.'

This is not about what one side likes,
or what the other side needs,
but only about the score.

Reason falls under the knife of photoshop.

Forbearance withers under discord's neglect

Sanity malnourished for want of purpose.

All that's left is this,

a single sound,

but not the euph's warm voice,

but the sound of a muted trumpet

playing some mournful strains

. . . . 'taps'

as we morn the passing of Sanity

[Note] this is presented to you all in good humor.
MelatoninJun 25, 2015 7:51 PM
Jun 26, 2015 12:07 AM

Dec 2013
The animation quality felt a bit loose compared to other episodes, I think I noticed a few skipped frames around the 2nd half of the episode.

Visual quality aside, it was a brilliant episode. Kumiko crying out of frustration really got to me near the end, that bridge seen with her and Shuuichi was pretty powerful as well.

4.5/5
Jun 26, 2015 7:31 AM

Jan 2013
There were some memorable scenes on this episode.
But the animation was... when you look at the characters running...
Jun 26, 2015 10:27 AM

Nov 2011
There better be a 2nd season Goddamnit!!

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jun 26, 2015 2:11 PM

Jul 2010
Bakken said:
WaterQueenKonoka said:
its over guys shuuichi wins LOL kumiko realized her love for the eupho because of him

I feel like you're reading a little too much into that scene.

Really liked this episode, good buildup to the final episode! It's kinda fun how this show have gone from a "ok", but slightly disappointing Kyoani production, too one of the highlights of the week for me ^^

I agree, especially since almost every moment of personal growth for Kumiko has been directly related to Reina and her relationship with her. In this case, she recognized her anguish over her failure to master the new music and being told to sit it out as the same pain Reina was feeling when she, in her "I have no filter on my mouth" way, trivialized Reina's pain back in middle school. Realizing that she loves playing the Euphonium, and being able to shove it in her sister's face, was masterfully accentuated by the parallels between her and Taki-sensei, who gave the same answer for why following in his famous father's footsteps doesn't bother him: He loves what he is doing! (It didn't hurt that he gave her some validation and encouragement as well. He is a GREAT teacher... or at least a well written one...)

The scene where Reina brings her water so she doesn't dehydrate herself again, and the final scene with Reina, were both cute. Eupho-Kun FTW! (or was it Eupho-chan?)
zensunniJun 26, 2015 2:19 PM
Jun 26, 2015 2:22 PM

Apr 2015
Neh, Reina loves Taki sensei and has gone yandere just for him. There are lots or more. Hahahahaha
#CHEXIT
Jun 27, 2015 2:04 AM

Dec 2012
Another great episode. The animation was really amasing. Everyone wants to improve his skills, especially Kumiko. Their relation with Reina is essential to her development.
Good luck Kumiko ! Next time it's the concert
Jun 27, 2015 6:15 AM

May 2010
It was so perfect the way they wrapped up the "Kumiko and sensei talked while Reina got flustered" For once, characters didn't go like "I am sorry." and "Nah, you don't need to be" I love how much everyone has, it makes me wanna cry *sniffs* I love Hibike so much... Don't want it to end...
Jun 27, 2015 7:52 PM

Apr 2014
such an intense episode..
I want to watch much more of this, I really do T^T
Jun 29, 2015 12:49 AM

Jun 2015
[B]Heterofag Winners.[B]
yuri fans another defeat
[B]Shuuichi OTP
fans of yuri is left crying

Here's the previous episode 13

Jun 29, 2015 2:43 AM
Jun 2011
it seems some Japanese pro animators were surprised by episode 12

Atsushi Saito, Sakuga-director of Sword Art Online, DanMachi etc. tweeted
"I took a glance at Euphonium ep.12. I can't understand how they achieved this quality. impossible"

https://twitter.com/kamatamanankotu/status/615294473266827264

Masayoshi Tanaka, character designer/key animator of Anohana, Toradora, Reborn replied to it
"I’ll say. I want to know it!"
"I wonder how many powerful production lines like this they have..."

https://twitter.com/tanamasa0119/status/615306397207519232
https://twitter.com/tanamasa0119/status/615308635367829504
Jun 29, 2015 3:37 AM

Nov 2007

"Such a fun time is about to end you know. It would have been nice if this continued forever. Don't worry. It will be better. This time let's do our best. I will spoil myself enjoying it. It will be okay, after all that we went through for this. Were you able to prepare yourselves to embrace this hall? We are definitely going to the Nationals. Fight, Kitauji! YEAH!"

The above translation from me could be a bit off, because the wordings can be a bit different based on the actual context, but that's the overall gist of it.

I am ready for the finale. :)

Edit:

sixa said:
"I took a glance at Euphonium ep.12. I can't understand how they achieved this quality. impossible"

Masayoshi Tanaka, character designer/key animator of Anohana, Toradora, Reborn replied to it

I know, I know! I haven't seen such beautiful animation in a TV anime for quite a while.
shanimebibJun 29, 2015 3:49 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 29, 2015 4:40 AM

Apr 2015
I'm so excited! I can't sleep tonight! >_<
#CHEXIT
Jun 29, 2015 5:16 AM

Jun 2015
shanimebib said:

"Such a fun time is about to end you know. It would have been nice if this continued forever. Don't worry. It will be better. This time let's do our best. I will spoil myself enjoying it. It will be okay, after all that we went through for this. Were you able to prepare yourselves to embrace this hall? We are definitely going to the Nationals. Fight, Kitauji! YEAH!"

The above translation from me could be a bit off, because the wordings can be a bit different based on the actual context, but that's the overall gist of it.

I am ready for the finale. :)

Edit:

sixa said:

I know, I know! I haven't seen such beautiful animation in a TV anime for quite a while.

>Asuka: Such a fun time is going to end. If only summer could continue on like this forever
>Goto: Don't worry, it'll be fine
>Reina: Good luck on the performance
>Midori: I'm so excited!
>[B]Shuuichi: I said it'll be fine, we've practiced so hard[B]
>Taki sensei: are the preparations for the performance done?
>Kumiko: We'll definitely go to Nationals
>Haruka: KITACHUIII, FWAITOOO

[B]Shuuichi: I said it'll be fine, we've practiced so hard
Shoe stepping confirmed.
dialogue que Shuuichi end uses in one volume light novel.

Kumiko stomping Shu1's feet confirmed for episode 13 which in turn confirms hetero end. How are yurifriends reacting to this?

[B]
macumba6666Jun 29, 2015 7:03 AM
Jun 29, 2015 8:15 AM

Jul 2008
I guess they forgot to place this (internal) conflict much earlier, considering that the conflicts among members already serve as the pre-competition, er, conflicts.
Jun 29, 2015 8:23 AM

Nov 2013
entropy13 said:
I guess they forgot to place this (internal) conflict much earlier, considering that the conflicts among members already serve as the pre-competition, er, conflicts.

Kumiko has been going through this conflict since episode 1, and this was just the breaking point. Basically, most of the previous episodes served as stepping stones to slowly restore her passion for music, and in this one she has to face the pain that comes with her passion.
Jun 29, 2015 2:43 PM

Oct 2013
Ooooh, character development! Nice work, Kumiko!

The scene when Sensei announces that Asuka would play solo...kind of disappointing. There was no impact. :/

Oh, God, Kumiko running, crying, and yelling out loud that she wants to improve! That scene was so beautifully done!

I still ship Shuichi and Kumiko. ♡
Jun 30, 2015 3:10 AM

Aug 2013
Yet again, Kyoto Animation honours their tradition of only leaving a single episode for the finale involving a major competition. Though in this situation, it is technically more of a showcase.
Jul 1, 2015 1:34 PM

Jul 2009
All those cute moments between Reina and Kumiko kill me! She was kinda jealous coz Kumiko was alone with sensei, why they had to make Reina having a crush on him?!...
Jul 1, 2015 7:58 PM

May 2012
Complete open ending? Second season? Well let's see how it ends next.
Jul 3, 2015 5:32 AM

Nov 2010
I couldn't stop watching Kumiko dashing that elegantly along the stream, it was so beautiful
The rest was great as well espeicially the Kumiko and Reina scenes
Jul 5, 2015 9:41 AM

Oct 2008
slow [FFF].
This episode, seems like Kumiko is now the one that's having trouble with their role as euph same with Shuuichi role as trombone.
We have again sweet yuri like moments with Kumiko and Reina supporting each other.
Kumiko nose bleed dehydration urgent clinic! haha
oh look at that Natsuki is having fun teasing Yuuko!
That animation wherein Kumiko was running and saying she wants to improve was executed very detailed. in that prospect...it is same with Shuuichi who also wants to improve more.
With that realization of wanting to improve, Kumiko now understands how much Reina felt and how it hurts so much! (that was back then when Reina was seen so upset)
Kumiko had a great time having a conversation with Taki-sensei while she gets her phone that she forgot at school. And after that she immediately calls and meet-up with Reina and told her about Taki-sensei then Reina was totally curious on what they talked about hahah!
5/5.

Jul 6, 2015 12:55 PM

Jul 2013
Really love this episode! I can really relate to Kumiko on how I want to improve and work hard as well.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

453 by Hearn »»
Apr 24, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

394 by shichirouji »»
Apr 22, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.