Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which sequel insulted what came before the most?
Jun 21, 2015 6:30 PM

Jun 2007

Some ground rules:

-- Please DON'T just post "I voted for *insert anime here*". You can use the poll for that, unless the anime isn't listed. Give some form of reasoning via a sentence or two, at least. Otherwise, a mod will eventually close the thread.
-- I am only listing one anime per franchise. Code Geass and GitS have some less-than-good OVAs but they are more in prequel / remake territory anyway.
-- Let me know about any sequels that should be added to the poll.
-- I tried to keep the poll in alphabetical order but got LOTS of suggestions. I thought I'd be able to delete them later to tidy the poll but it seems I can't. Sorry for how long/messy it is.

-----

Anime sequels have increasingly become the bane of my existence. Darker than BLACK S2's complete abandonment of what made S1 work prompted me to make the thread.

There is another thread for worst sequel in existence, but that thread had no poll and hasn't been posted in for a month. I want a more focused discussion made interesting by the poll stats. I don't think I have missed any of the obvious sequels but let me know if I have. Also: Advent Children doesn't have an anime prequel, but given it's the continuation of one of the most loved JRPGs of all-time, I added it.

Just in case anyone becomes e-enraged over seeing a series they like listed, most titles are here because the rating averages are considerably lower than the original. Or, in other words, are listed using objective reasoning rather than my own subjectivity. Some listed I haven't even watched but know about because of their infamy. It's VERY unusual on MAL for a sequel to be rated lower given most that dislike a series quit before the sequel--leaving only those that are going to rate high. So, at worst, the rating is usually the same as the prequel. Gintama's rankings in the top anime list highlight this the best. Basically, the animation studios / writers have to outright betray their established fanbase.

Code Geass R2 is the most obvious exception here, but I felt I had to list it given it's the anime sequel that disappointed me the most, personally. I think its MAL average is more due to it ending strongly and offering a conclusion than anything else, where as S1 ended on a cliffhanger. If it was rated based solely on the first 3/4's alone, I can't see how it could possibly be regarded above what came before. It just rebooted everything, repeated what came before with added absurdity, fanservice overload and was basically a cash-in until it actually continued from where S1 left off properly.

I think Naruto is another one with a higher average, but again, it disappointed me so much I had to list it. I waited years for it, only to get 0.5-1 chapter per ep pacing and an artlol budget. Yahari's inclusion might also raise an eyebrow but the studio/direction/everything changed and I view that as a betrayal given it was the less melodramatic drama-heavy prequel that sold me on the series.

FYI, the lowest rated sequel with the biggest point difference is Nadia's movie. Something like a two point gap. It had none of the original staff work on it (iirc) and is considered so bad most pretend it doesn't even exist. It had nothing to do with the TV series bar the characters and was an outright insult to anyone that liked Nadia.

Most newer anime fans will know all about Aldnoah S2 trying to go political and becoming a trainwreck; Psycho Pass 2 having a new writer and the series only going over old ground in the most painfully stupid manner and, ofc, Darker than BLACK turning into Pinker than PINK. In recent years in particular, anime has gone to great lengths to convince me original anime should never be continued. Eden of the East's random-nothing-pointless movies are another example.

Some people might be unaware of other, old titles: the Galaxy Express 999 sequel that is actually a farcical remake dressed up as a sequel, with a Darth Vadar twist. Gantz's second season going completely anime-only and having the cast kill each other rather than aliens / not showing some of the best parts of the manga. Irresponsible Captain Tylor getting the Yahari treatment with the staff changing along with the tone and it just being a worse, less entertaining show that conflicted with the characterisation in the prequel; ending unfinished as a final insult. Gunbuster 2 earned Gainax a considerable amount of hatred from some for going more otaku-moe and abandoning their roots. Ghost in the Shell 2 is best described as philosophical quote exchanging than an actual movie.

As for my vote, I'm torn: Nadia is objectively the worst but Code Geass R2 the most disappointing given I went into one with expectations and not the other. Nadia is a whole 'nother level of disappointing, though, so that gets my vote.
AironicallyHumanJun 25, 2015 3:04 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 21, 2015 6:35 PM

Sep 2013
Tokyo ghoul √A
Do I even need to say it?

The completely shtted on the centipede, my man Shachi and the solo master Arima.
99% of the fights and development was thrown out to fit everything in and leave room for season 3 if they want to, fml :(
Jun 21, 2015 6:37 PM

May 2013
Chuunibyou S2, no kiss, sasuga KyoAni. But on a serious note, underwhelming season.

Also, im wondering why Steins;Gate movie is on the poll?
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jun 21, 2015 6:37 PM

Feb 2013
I'll say Haruhi 2009. Endless 8 sucked balls, and The Sigh five parter was pretty boring too.

The Nadia movie was at least watchable, unlike the Endless 8.
Jun 21, 2015 6:38 PM

Nov 2014
(vote) Sword Art Online II and Aldnoah.Zero 2

Jun 21, 2015 6:39 PM

Jun 2007
SweetCoconut said:
Also, im wondering why Steins;Gate movie is on the poll?

Rated something like .50-60 below TV series, and - personally - I thought it was an awful attempt at copying the Haruhi movie. It kinda defeated the point of how the TV series ended since time travel came back after the TV end prevented time travel.
Jun 21, 2015 6:53 PM

Feb 2013
what's up with Advent Children on the poll? it barely counts as a sequel

The Spirits Within should be there instead.. you could still say it's technically a sequel to the '94 OVA (which has a lower rating lol o0)

another suggestion: Futari wa Milky Holmes
i haven't watched it, but it's a full 1.5 points below the 2nd season
romagiaJun 21, 2015 6:56 PM
Jun 21, 2015 6:56 PM

Apr 2014
lol from that list, easily DTB season 2.
Like, there wasn't even a point to it besides milk the franchise then suddenly give up half way leaving the story in a huge mess.
Though Haruhi season 2 was pretty shit too with Endless Eight.
Jun 21, 2015 7:00 PM

Jun 2015
for me it was Dragonball GT, I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it, but I didn't get the same level of enjoyment as I got from Dragonball and Dragonball Z
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mistress0fyaoi&sclick=1]
Jun 21, 2015 7:01 PM

Jul 2010
A big "fuck you" vote for Psycho-Pass 2.
Jun 21, 2015 7:02 PM

Jul 2011
DTB2 by far.
Jun 21, 2015 7:02 PM

Jun 2007
romagia said:
what's up with Advent Children on the poll? it barely counts as a sequel

The Spirits Within should be there instead.. you could still say it's technically a sequel to the '94 OVA (which has a lower rating lol o0)

"Also: Advent Children doesn't have an anime prequel, but given it's the continuation of one of the most loved JRPGs of all-time, I added it."

I wasn't sure whether to add it but it's most certainly disappointing and it isn't as if it would come under 'the most disappointing game sequels'. It was one of my more subjective additions and I can easy remove it; I doubt anyone will vote for it given other choices, anyway.

Added your Futari wa Milky Holmes suggestion. Its rating is nearly as low as Nadia's movie. 'Tis surely horrifying.

Edit: Please, guys: either post more than 'i vote for dis, yo' or don't post at all. No discussion >>> thread will be closed by mods.

Edit 2: Added Dragonball GT. Annoyingly I can't re-order 'Other' so it goes last without removing the votes for it.
AironicallyHumanJun 21, 2015 7:17 PM
Jun 21, 2015 7:24 PM

Sep 2014
Steins;Gate movie by far
Jun 21, 2015 7:29 PM

Feb 2013
Add Eureka Seven Ao I guess. It did everything a sequel shouldn't do (unnecessary in nature, plot-holes, contradicting what we might have thought about their predecessors, replacing the entirety of the cast).
Jun 21, 2015 7:32 PM

Nov 2014
Tokyo Ghoul √A, and The Garden of Sinners: Epilogue should be switched with Kara no Kyoukai 6. It was the worst one out of them all.
Jun 21, 2015 7:39 PM

Jun 2007
Added Eureka Seven Ao. Totally forgot about that: still haven't even finished S1 given I'm averse to air surfing and Bones original series NEVER make sense.

About Garden of Sinners, I know the 'moe' 6th movie is liked the least out of 1-7, but in terms of averages the epilogue is around .50 lower at 7.33. If others feel the same I'll switch them, though.
Jun 21, 2015 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
Infinite Stratos 2. Shitty plot ruined my daily dose of haremshit.
Jun 21, 2015 7:47 PM

Jan 2015
Im sure you would think I would say Aldnoah Zero S2. But hands down Eureka 7 AO.

Because unlike Aldnoah Zero, I love Eureka 7 and was craving for more. Eureka 7 AO was a huge disapointment to me that easily overshadowded the disparity between the two seasons of Aldnoah Zero.
Jun 21, 2015 7:50 PM

Feb 2013
AironicallyHuman said:
Added Eureka Seven Ao. Totally forgot about that: still haven't even finished S1 given I'm averse to air surfing and Bones original series NEVER make sense.

Bones original scripts always tend to be rather shitty. What I've seen of DtB seems legit to me right now because it's storyline where I'm at is mostly episodic with some sprinkles of the bigger picture. According to y'all though it all goes south in the 2nd season.
Jun 21, 2015 7:52 PM

May 2015
Add Fate stay night unlimited blade works tv anime
Jun 21, 2015 7:52 PM
Jul 2018
Praland said:
DTB2 by far.

id rather watch sao2 and chuunibyou s2 than waste mein tym to watch dat
Jun 21, 2015 7:56 PM

Nov 2014
I haven't watched much of those, but chuu2 was deffo disappointing.
Shit taest or not, I enjoyed the first chuuni. Chuuni2 was so very meh

Jun 21, 2015 7:56 PM
Sep 2013
noLoserguy said:
Add Fate stay night unlimited blade works tv 2 anime
Jun 21, 2015 8:01 PM

Oct 2014
I haven't seen many of these. Usually if a sequel to an anime I enjoyed is known for being bad, I'll avoid it. I watched Chuunibyou 2 because my cousin recommended it to me. It wasn't as good as the first season, but it wasn't as much of a train wreck as people make it out to be.
Jun 21, 2015 8:04 PM
Jul 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
I haven't seen many of these. Usually if a sequel to an anime I enjoyed is known for being bad, I'll avoid it. I watched Chuunibyou 2 because my cousin recommended it to me. It wasn't as good as the first season, but it wasn't as much of a train wreck as people make it out to be.

My condolences.
Your cousin has a bad taste.
Jun 21, 2015 8:04 PM

Jun 2007
noLoserguy said:
Add Fate stay night unlimited blade works tv anime
Enmity_ said:
noLoserguy said:
Add Fate stay night unlimited blade works tv 2 anime

UBW TV just about fits the 'rated lower than prequel' bill given that Zero S2 rated higher and, technically, UBW is a direct sequel... at least as an anime. But the movie version of UBW is even worse afaik, so I might have to switch the TV ver out later if other people disagree. So, added for now.

gedata said:
Bones original scripts always tend to be rather shitty. What I've seen of DtB seems legit to me right now because it's storyline where I'm at is mostly episodic with some sprinkles of the bigger picture. According to y'all though it all goes south in the 2nd season.

Bones original scripts are so vague on story/setting details that the ends are always a trainwreck of nooooo. DtB is in its element when it's doing its episodic dark-cool thing. S2? Hei becomes a drunk, doesn't wear his mask/costume and a little girl is the main character. No episodicness to distract. And most WTF ending of all time, ignoring Evangelion. In a bad way. Just FYI. Still next to no story details; that wasn't problem. Problem was it became a different show altogether; green-purple colours, music and all.

LionCake said:
Because unlike Aldnoah Zero, I love Eureka 7 and was craving for more. Eureka 7 AO was a huge disapointment to me that easily overshadowded the disparity between the two seasons of Aldnoah Zero.

I'm the same with Aldnoah: I didn't care for original much anyway, so it wasn't a shock or a disappointment for me. Plus, I enjoyed seeing what lulzy cliffhanger/twist would come next.
AironicallyHumanJun 21, 2015 8:08 PM
Jun 21, 2015 8:07 PM

Nov 2008
I was SO psyched for new material of the Tenchi Muyo OVA and............I hated the sequel. But what killed it for me was new VA for Ryouko in the dub.

After they replaced Petrea, I was just "NOPE."

Jun 21, 2015 8:07 PM

Dec 2013
DTB... Dear Yisus.
Jun 21, 2015 8:11 PM

Feb 2013
Lots of mediocre sequels but I had to go with Tokyo Ghoul Root A caus I'm still bitter about the shitty adaptation.
Jun 21, 2015 8:13 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Psycho Pass 2. I was expecting good things and 11 episodes wasn't enough to have a good plot. Also out of curiosity, why is SNAFU season 2 on the list? I could've sworn many people like it more than the first.
Jun 21, 2015 8:14 PM

Dec 2013
Psycho Pass 2

Surprised TG 2 is so popular considering that the anime was never any good in the first place.
Jun 21, 2015 8:16 PM

Jun 2012
I'm torn between the second Eden of the East movie and Eureka Seven AO. I guess ultimately I consider AO the worst offender though, simply because I was a bigger fan of Eureka 7 then Eden in the first place. I still think those movies (especially the second one) made for a really anticlimactic ending to a really intriguing plot though.
help
Jun 21, 2015 8:18 PM

Feb 2013
the thing that really brought Aldnoah.Zero 2 down on top of all the problems from s1 that weren't fixed was that plot points and character arcs were tossed into the wind. Also all the fun
gedataJun 21, 2015 8:21 PM
Jun 21, 2015 8:18 PM

Apr 2011
Shippuden

The Pain arc was... holy shit. Maybe Studio Pierrot are actually geniouses and made it PAINful to watch on purpose, I don't know. I was disappointed overall with Shippuden considering the original is one of my favorite of all times.
Jun 21, 2015 8:19 PM

Nov 2014
Darker Than Black... The protagonist's appearance on season 2 occasionally emerge on the story. And the story from the last season is different, or I must say that it was a new arc. Hei's coolness somewhat decrease in the season 2.
Jun 21, 2015 8:24 PM

Feb 2012
Some of these sequels were disappointing or bad, but Psycho-Pass 2 was on a whole other level.

Not only was it bad PERIOD, it was simply insulting to the first season and broke so many rules previously established for the sake of uninteresting villains, no character development, forced plot twists and... Mika man... just... Mika... why.

The fact that this utter piece of trash was a sequel to a legitimately good show simply added insult to injury.
Jun 21, 2015 8:27 PM

Mar 2015
G_Spark233 said:
Psycho Pass 2

Surprised TG 2 is so popular considering that the anime was never any good in the first place.

But Psycho Pass S1 was good?
kek

Ot:voted for Code Geass R2,while the first season was also way below average the disaster that is r2 can't be left unvoted.Sorry to be so harsh but this sequel managed to insult an already garbage first season,an accomplishment on its own.
_HeroKenzan_Jun 21, 2015 8:32 PM
Jun 21, 2015 8:27 PM

Apr 2013
Eureka Seven AO only show I've every given a 1 too other sequels I've been disappointed in but that was awful.
Jun 21, 2015 8:29 PM

May 2015
Tokyo ghoul RA

Didn't like the ending, wasn't nearly as "into" the anime as I was in season 1. Didn't like the new Kaneki either
Jun 21, 2015 8:31 PM

Apr 2015
Soul Eater Not!

It's stupid. It's pure fan service! All moe and yuri subtext.
#CHEXIT
Jun 21, 2015 8:34 PM
Jul 2018
Imeon said:
Soul Eater Not!

it's not a sequel m8
Jun 21, 2015 8:49 PM

Feb 2015
DragonBall GT was really bad overall...
Jun 21, 2015 8:53 PM

Nov 2012
Definitely Sword Art Online. The first season of SAO was not perfect but it was really good but the sequel took every you loved about the first season and removed it. Watching SAO2 felt like doing work, I had to skim some episodes.
Jun 21, 2015 9:04 PM

Nov 2014
I like how people vote for Tokyo Ghoul 2 when first season was just as shit.

Jun 21, 2015 9:07 PM

Jan 2014
Psycho-Pass 2 gets my vote.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 21, 2015 10:00 PM

Aug 2009
Freezing Vibration. When I first heard that they were making a sequel I was exited. But then it came out.It wasn't mostly about the original characters.
ezikialrageJun 22, 2015 5:55 PM
Jun 21, 2015 10:02 PM

Oct 2014
Haruhi Suzumiya (2009) no-brainer.

Contains the infamous Endless Eight arc.

What is the Endless Eight arc? An episode that is repeated 7 more times with extremely minor changes. Like, as if repeating it maybe 2 or 3 more times (max) wasn't enough. Oh no -- let's do it 7 times. I mean, seriously, Kyoani must have thought they could get away with anything.
8oomerJun 22, 2015 4:57 AM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Jun 21, 2015 10:34 PM

Jan 2013
AironicallyHuman said:
Ghost in the Shell 2 is best described as philosophical quote exchanging than an actual movie.
Please define "actual movie" and explain why Ghost in the Shell 2 isn't one.

While you're at it,

LEAVE

LEAVE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW
Jun 21, 2015 11:12 PM

Apr 2015
_Charl said:
Imeon said:
Soul Eater Not!

it's not a sequel m8

Ok. But it's still shit.

Ok, hmmmmm... Maybe Milky Holmes, not changed.. it's still moe.....
#CHEXIT
Jun 21, 2015 11:16 PM

Oct 2008
I think you actually need to really like the first season in order to say that the second is a big disappointment.Like genuinely need to have some sort of connection to it and not just be a decent to good series that you wont remember later on.So already Aldnoah,Psycho Pass,Code Geass,Chuunibyou,Seed... are already off the table for me.

That being said Darker Than Black S2 is easily one of the worst sequels ever,like talk about being completely clueless about what made the original great in the first place and just do a piss-poor job at trying to recreate it...
amateurJun 21, 2015 11:19 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 15 minutes ago

4 by Pokitaru »»
1 minute ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Apr 26

74 by TheFlyingSoda »»
7 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

26 by L0STIK »»
15 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 6 hours ago

15 by stellariscxy »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

120 by TransferUser »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.