Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 10, 2016 6:29 PM

Jul 2011
Talk about destroying the internal consistency. Frieza talked about achieving 1.3 million battle power and then he turns into a lazy looking golden shitform and it's supposedly stronger than SSJGSSJ (What a dumb name). SSJ3 is like 8 million, right? This is fucking dumb. How did Goku attain the new powers? How did Vegeta? How the fuck does the fights look like pre dbz speed? What a disappointing mess. This isn't canon no matter what Akira says. He's clearly lost it.
Jan 17, 2016 12:31 PM

Dec 2013
So, Sorbet's laser ring is stronger than Gold Frieza then?
Cause it managed to severely injure Goku when Frieza couldn't in their entire fight.

And don't give me any "it caught him off guard" dogshit, a ring laser that barely manages to disarm Pilafs minions shouldn't even remotely be capable of penetrating Goku's aura, especially when he's in the strongest form he's ever been in.

Internal consistency where?

just one of the numerous problems of this movie.
Jan 27, 2016 10:10 AM

Sep 2015
I was enjoying this up until the point where Goku got shot.
I mean, despite most of the characters being completely nerfed, I was overlooking it because you knew everything pre-Goku showing up was basically filled anyway.

But Goku being taken out by a random common energy gun? For Christ's sake, when he was a child he got shot by a gun in the very first episode of Dragon Ball. He wasn't expecting it then and he had a power level of like 50 or something. How the fuck does a Saiyan God get taken out in 1 shot by a common gun?
Then we had loltimetravel.

Meh. 5/10 overall. Would've given it a 7/10 if not for the last 10minutes.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 4, 2016 11:16 PM

Jul 2013
You know you fucked up when even dragon ball z fans are calling your shit stupid.
Feb 9, 2016 8:50 PM

May 2015
j0x said:
Bulma is one hot MILF in this movie too

the only good part of the movie
Feb 18, 2016 2:18 PM

Feb 2015
Vegeta got screwed.

4/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2016 11:34 AM

Jul 2013
What's with all the constant comic relief ? Totally takes away from the seriousness of the situation.
Fuck these movies.

Also, Gohan is pathetic.
Jul 29, 2016 9:45 AM

Jul 2016
Only now i have watched that movie because i waited for my country's dub.

This movie was simply the best dragon ball z movie so far. The animation was great, comedy moments were great too, Tien and the others fighting, golden Frieza... everything was so exciting! It's was 8/10 for general animes and 10/10 for a dragon ball movie.
Aug 8, 2016 8:44 AM
Jun 2013
WOW....That was truly terrible. Just wow...between the complete omission of all of the power levels, Gohan getting punched and knocked unconscious, Piccolo has to try against a guy around frickin Zarbon level, the crap cg, same old repetitive fighting sequences, forced and lackluster comedy, no sense of real danger, Gohan being a wimp, and Vegeta not getting HIS revenge, this movie was trash.

And they also didn't mention how Frieza, AND CELL, made tried to get revenge on Goku after escaping from HFIL. I don't like how Toriyama has decided to omit certain parts of the story out of convenience.

And where TF was Majin Buu. Like really? Buu, Gohan, and Piccolo could have EASILY blasted away all the soldiers in an instant. But no...there's this long ass, repetitive hand to hand fight scene with fodder lasting who knows how long. And Goku gets beat by a soldier's gun...ARE YOU KIDDDDING ME?! WTF WOW....JUST WOW.
The power of all of the characters is waaaay beyond what they were showing. In the Cell Saga, on his second form, Cell was destroying islands (to find android 18) like it was nothing. These guys are on a supposed "God level" shooting attacks and it has less destructive power than the cell saga.

It's funny that the only redeeming quality about this movie was actually seeing Frieza again, who I have always liked as a villain. Otherwise, absolutely horrible movie.
Aug 6, 2017 10:48 PM

Dec 2008
SPoiler alerts....oh fudge it....=_=

PRetty pathetic film. There are so many things that have gotten out of control for this franchise. IT all reeks of inspiration from fan written fluff from the 90s onward. I had to give it a 6/10 at most because if all the nonsense. I mean hell, Roshi is fighting when he is the weakest legitimate fighter, but chaoszu and yamacha are left behind? Krillin goes off to fight with Tien, yet android 18 is left behind to "tend house" and we know android 17 is still alive and kicking somewhere on earth. Oh and then there is the discrepency with Frieza's form: hes a cyborg in hell, yet during the majin buu saga, Frieza was in his whole final form watching the fight alongside other dead villains in the afterlife. THEN theres also the fact that with just a half year of training, Frieza is somhow all gold, and Goku, now all fan fictiony blue cannot even keep up with frieza, when Super Saiyan 2 grade 2 should have been more than enough, and then Goku is taken down with a little laser beam from Sorbet's ring.... This...Was. TRASH! *sighs* The whole super franchise will likely not make much more sense, making me actually pine for a legitimate GT "Kai" show . OH well, here goes nothing. Onto Super...=_= Terrible what they done to Dragonball. Tisk tisk.
May 14, 2018 5:21 AM

Dec 2015
Well-made dynamic action piece (notably thanks to computers) for Frieza fanatics celebrating its eponymous character. A drawback of the computers heavy usage: a few sequences where the 3D skeletons of the fighters are too conspicuous.
The melee fight is a good way to give the spotlights to secondary characters progressively made invisible and features numerous nice moves.
The essential touch of humour is still present but not as well integrated (and effective) as in Kami to kami.

Score: 7/10 An enjoyable fan-like movie betting more on action than its predecessor but not totally forgetting its comedic roots.
Enjoyment: 5/5 I lost it the moment Maximum the Hormon started yelling their F song. (Good laugh.)

============

Also, what's this aura thing supposed to block shots people are talking about? o_O

UltHamBro said:

*Whis's ability was only mentioned vaguely in a line of dialogue early in the movie, yet it's the key to a happy ending.

This is a narrative technique. It even has a name (I forgot, sorry).

AnchientProphet2 said:
the discrepency with Frieza's form: he's a cyborg in hell, yet during the majin buu saga, Frieza was in his whole final form watching the fight alongside other dead villains in the afterlife.

This was only born from some of DBZ's countless air time-filling scenes, the last two movies were supposed to serve as manga's side stories.
What is even this so called SSJ2 grade 2 thing??

December 1, 2020
@3rgo I love the Cell idea and design. Hell, I 'm in love with all of Toriyama's "cool" designs of the Androids chapter (robots, insects, machines, clothes, warrior from the future and Gohan, everything) despite it lacking "personality" compared to what Toriyama drew before and after. But the part was far from good in term of story and content, even though it was entertaining at times and I like it for being a "love letter" to Terminator. It took many low points / bad aspects from earlier chapters (especially Frieza's) and amplified them.

As for Super: it can be fully ignored, as well as this "fan-service" film. So nothing undermines Dragon Ball as it was initially completed : it is our sole responsibility to watch or not something when we perfectly know that what we had until now is well rounded and closed. (To exploit Frieza again after the guy got a full movie "just for fun" is, of course, totally devoid of interest or ambition and stupid.)
Additionally, Super is nothing more than side story after side story since the manga and its adaptations already had an epilogue.

3rgo said:
@Rei_III He is back again, is this some kind of a joke.....

No... t at all. I 'm sorry but I kinda tried to advise you to stop before.
And yes, this is stupid, especially since they could have gone with Bû as teased in earlier episodes. But it can't damage what is already a very bad series with not the slightest (non commercial) reason to exist. Sorry to repeat myself, but I invite you to ignore all this "revival" of the brand and focus your attention on what is Dragon Ball : Toriyama's (already stretched in parts) manga. Maybe the animated adaptation DB and DBZ too, although I don't see any merit in it (some sequences have very nice animation tricks and drawings after all, and some of the jap.actors and music pieces are pretty good).
Rei_IIIMar 25, 2021 10:36 AM
Jan 1, 2019 10:30 PM

May 2014
Since I watched Super before this, I knew the plot which is meh. Some explanation about their Super Saiyan Blue, which was very abrupt. The sound when they moved when they power-up was really annoying for the ears. Had to adjust the volume all the time.

What I liked more was the Z fighters vs. Freezer's forces. Nothing special about the animation, OSTs. Just the usual DBZ setup. xD A solid 5/9.

PS: That Freeza resurrection song was annoying and didn't fit imo. How can metal rock fit that moment. A more epic music would suit it so much better. Now that I think about it, they may have done that it Super.
Mar 15, 2019 11:55 AM

Jun 2012
Late comment on this but I thought it was pretty trash. Apart from some cool animation, it basically comes down to nothing but fanservice. No progression to the blue form and the only reason to bring Frieza back is for nostalgia purposes. and they do it in a pretty dumb way. I still like that he claims he's never trained a day in his life, but in the fight with Goku in the Namek saga he says he hadn't had to brush dust off of himself since he was training with his father. That's a nitpick but the whole movie just feels like that - retcons, ridiculous power scaling and no reason for its existence.

Dragon Ball Super's Frieza arc was total trash as well, but even it did a better job of re-introducing Frieza and justifying his power gain, even if it's still dumb. At least I can take solace in the third coming of Frieza later in Super being well done.
May 19, 2019 3:13 AM

Dec 2012
Freeza in a pod?
Freeza is coming back to life?
Piccolo taking care of his grandkid.
Mai says Trunks is her boyfriend.
Shen Long is back.
Freeza! Freeza! Freeza! Freeza!!!
Freeza is going to train.
Bulma has a sister named Tights?
lol Freeza is coming in an hour.
Kuririn.
Dat OP song.
18 is stronger than Kuririn.
Bald Kuririn is back.
lol at 18 saying Kuririn is cool.
lol at Vegeta getting judo chopped.
Beers is awake.
Tenshinhan.
Gohan is pathetic.
LMAO at Freeza knocking Gohan out.
Goku and Vegeta are back.
LMAO Goku owning final form Freeza in base form.
Supaa Saiya-jin Goddo Supaa Saiya-jin.
Golden Freeza.
Freeza fucking Goku up now.
lol at everyone moving next to Beers.
Goku got shot. So blood still exists in this series.
Beers ordered the destruction of plant Vegeta.
Vegeta can go SSGSS.
Freeza blew up the planet.
A do over.
Freeza is dead.
Goku and Vegeta agree to not team up. smh
Freeza back in hell.

Waste of time when it could have been a new enemy.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jul 28, 2019 7:40 AM
Jan 2017
gotta admit the soundtracks of the most recent DBZ movies have been awesome. and the movie was as hyped and the trailer made it out to be.

I'd give this a 9/10 solely cause I spoiled it for myself by watching Super 1st and knowing alll about Goku and Frieza's new forms.
Jul 1, 2020 3:45 AM

Jul 2013
I didn't really plan to watch this, I wanted my memories of Dragon Ball Z to be from my little kid self and nothing from these new stuff. But hell, I was bored browsing Netflix and they have this so.

Anyway, I wouldn't have had any idea who Beerus is or any of these new characters if I didn't see some video clips on Youtube so at least I'm not completely clueless here. But damn I am still not comfortable hearing Luffy in Krillin's body and Goku's voice is really something in Japanese lol. But still that was fun, mostly because of nostalgia but fun nonetheless.

Nov 30, 2020 3:31 PM

Sep 2014
God, why is everything past Cell games such a f*** dog***. I am trying so hard to watch Super and undermining one of the greatest DB sagas with brining Frieza back for 123129321931283821382183 times sure is not helping. He was an amazing villain in his time, but ffs just let him rip...
Dec 9, 2020 12:26 PM

Sep 2014
@Rei_III just reached to Tournament of Power arc...
Apr 8, 2021 4:28 AM

Jan 2013
The Future trunks recap of the Frieza battle on Namek was pretty good, sadly it didn't get a dub so I had to watch that bit in Japanese.
The animation was great during that bit though, the short fight between Goku and Frieza looked so good.

The fighting against Frieza's forces was really good, not just punches but actual choreography.
I thought the distress call in Super with Gohan powering up to max and passing out was done better, especially seeing how weak Gohan has gotten, them just powering up together didn't have the same impact.
Fight against Frieza was so good too.

Did we need Frieza back again? - Probably not but it make Goku learn a valuable lesson after losing the Earth to Frieza.

Honestly this entire movie (aside from the distress call which was done better in Super) did the entire Frieza Resurrection arc a lot more justice.
9/10

*Interesting to see Goku in Future Trunks' timeline seeing as he died, unless this is a different Goku from another timeline, I'm sure Super will explain it. (fun teaser though)
PrOxAntoApr 8, 2021 4:37 AM
Jan 7, 2023 6:18 AM
Jan 2023
The animation style + lame fight
Sep 9, 2023 1:29 AM
May 2017
I remember I was in 10th grade. My friend was such a crazy DBZ fan he downloaded Raw version and talked my ear off about it. Wanted me to watch raw version too
Mar 25, 2:51 AM

May 2015
First time watching this movie, it's quite different from what I remember how this arc went down in the series. Very enjoyable though, fun seeing Krillin do his cop thing and how close him and 18 have grown. Frieza was pretty silly even when he was menacing his own force, I guess his fear factor never recovered after trunks diced him into pieces. Terrible showing of Gohan, I hope this is his lowest point as a fighter for the future of DBZ media and a nice introduction to Jaco. Great movie overall! 8/10 in my book. Frieza got owned.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Have one year limit of Dragon ball been removed?

Nagato-Uzumaki13 - Nov 11, 2016

3 by Rei_III »»
May 14, 2018 4:56 AM

» Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' Disgussion.

NHRoccodog - Nov 21, 2015

4 by AnchientProphet2 »»
Aug 6, 2017 10:42 PM

» Why they did not call this "Resurrection of Frieza"?

NostalgiaDrive94 - Sep 14, 2015

6 by AnchientProphet2 »»
Aug 6, 2017 10:40 PM

» Wrong duration given on MAL?

karlstein12 - Jan 15, 2017

2 by AnchientProphet2 »»
Aug 6, 2017 10:37 PM

» Dragon Ball Z [Q&A]

waalex11 - Aug 10, 2015

14 by Nagato-Uzumaki13 »»
Nov 11, 2016 12:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.