New
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 7, 2015 3:14 AM

Dec 2012
kawaii-despair said:
good taste doesn't exist

Good taste exist's!!!!!!!

Warning
Do not recomended to watch those pictures for: people who never watch etti or are underage to watch etti or hate etti also not recomended for yaoi fans!!!

If you click the licks bellow you agree that you readed the warning.
NSFM:

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please tag NSFM links and put them in a spoiler.
_Ghost_Jun 10, 2015 12:20 PM
^^
Jun 7, 2015 3:21 AM

Mar 2015
ghoullovesharem said:
taste is subjective
but my opinion are objective
/Humans.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 7, 2015 3:26 AM

Sep 2014
How to get good taste:

1) Choose 5 of these as your favorites: Legend of the Galactic Heroes, The Tatami Glaxy, End of Evangelion, Mushishi, Aria the Origination, Monster, GitS: SAC, Texhonolyze, Welcome to the NHK.

2) Shit on everything Urobuchi does, every KyoAni show or just any otherwise popular anime like SnK, Elfen Lied, Code:Geass...etc.

3) Be an edgelord with your ratings. Your mean score should be lower than 5.

4) Go to ThatAnimeSnob's YouTube channel and join his mindless worshipers.
Jun 7, 2015 3:27 AM

Aug 2014
Otaku-Slayer said:
How to get good taste:

1) Choose 5 of these as your favorites: Legend of the Galactic Heroes, The Tatami Glaxy, End of Evangelion, Mushishi, Aria the Origination, Monster, GitS: SAC, Texhonolyze, Welcome to the NHK.

2) Shit on everything Urobuchi does, every KyoAni show or just any otherwise popular anime like SnK, Elfen Lied, Code:Geass...etc.

Nice recipe for causing maximum butthurt, bro.
Jun 7, 2015 3:29 AM

Jul 2013
Otaku-Slayer said:

People do that? Urobutcher is so well loved that he's becoming overrated.
Jun 7, 2015 3:35 AM

Sep 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
Otaku-Slayer said:

Most elitists and wanna-be critics hate him.
Jun 7, 2015 3:36 AM

Mar 2015
Otaku-Slayer said:
but your madoka magica?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 7, 2015 3:38 AM

Aug 2014
Otaku-Slayer said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

You still got to agree that he is getting overblown with people hyping works that he barely worked on. He isn't bad, tho.
Jun 7, 2015 3:40 AM

Jun 2014
Otaku-Slayer said:
How to get good taste:

I love Urobuchi and KyoAni backgrounds though :p
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 7, 2015 3:49 AM

Sep 2014
Unyilkdr said:
Otaku-Slayer said:
but your madoka magica?

I have shit taste

Poltergeist18 said:
Otaku-Slayer said:

You still got to agree that he is getting overblown with people hyping works that he barely worked on. He isn't bad, tho.

Well yeah but that's not his fault. And it's not like I'm the biggest fan of Urobuchi, I just think he's a good writer.
Jun 7, 2015 3:56 AM

Jul 2013
Otaku-Slayer said:
Unyilkdr said:
but your madoka magica?

I have shit taste

Poltergeist18 said:

Well yeah but that's not his fault. And it's not like I'm the biggest fan of Urobuchi, I just think he's a good writer.

I think he's a good writer too. But his characters are so boring.
Jun 7, 2015 4:00 AM

Aug 2014
^His characters are boring because his stories are more plot-driven, I guess. At least the ones I know of.
Jun 7, 2015 4:21 AM

Sep 2012
Otaku-Slayer said:
How to get good taste:

I always find it funny that everytime I encounter a CRITIC on MAL, he/she always has top 5 shows from a subset of like 20 anime, like seriously there is no good anime outside of those shows?
Jun 7, 2015 6:14 AM

Nov 2012
Good taste is what I have. Anything else is terrible taste.
Jun 7, 2015 6:22 AM
Nov 2013
Good taste that people can properly explain why or why not they agree or disagree with something, too bad most of this forum is full of cretins who can't properly explain their thoughts and just label things as overrated or bad taste lmao, it's grasping narutard levels.
Jun 7, 2015 2:18 PM

Jan 2015
Otaku-Slayer said:
How to get good taste:

u forgot about shoujo utena, ping pong and berserk. i liek berserk but i dont midlesly worship those shows like many ppl who cant form there own opinions.
Jun 7, 2015 6:21 PM

May 2011
When you are consistent with what you like, then you have good taste

Otaku-Slayer said:

At least the guy said one thing pretty true. If you like everything then you have no tastes
Jun 7, 2015 6:39 PM

Nov 2014
Favorite =/= Good Taste?
Anime = Good Taste

You'll never know what are good anime unless you try. Good Taste aside.
Beware here goes the criticisms of popular anime.
Jun 7, 2015 7:24 PM

Sep 2013
Lain is too deep and has old animation which people hate.
I'm surprised it hasn't been bashed on yet :(
Jun 7, 2015 7:32 PM

Oct 2012
ichii_1 said:
Lain is too deep and has old animation which people hate.
I'm surprised it hasn't been bashed on yet :(
I actually thought the art and animation in Lain held up remarkably well and I'm impressed by it every time I watch the Blu-Ray.
ShrabsterJun 7, 2015 8:03 PM

Jun 7, 2015 8:13 PM

Nov 2014
Good taste is liking a cute emotionless loli. Lol

In all seriousness, good taste is knowing why you find certain anime good with solid reason. And know the difference between something objectively good and something that just happens to appeal to you.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jun 7, 2015 9:08 PM

Nov 2011
Have NGE, SAO, K-On, LoGH, and SnK in your favs.

Such excellency. No mere mortal could comprehend a mind as refined as this.

I'll be amused if this actually exists.
Jun 7, 2015 9:16 PM
Feb 2014
TripleSRank said:
Have NGE, SAO, K-On, LoGH, and SnK in your favs.

Such excellency. No mere mortal could comprehend a mind as refined as this.

I'll be amused if this actually exists.

theyd most likely not have to know about the cancerous anime community if so lol
Jun 7, 2015 9:26 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
Lain doesn't get that much reception as the others he listed. Lain isn't really that love by the elitist group tbh.

I think Lain too well known at this point. Hipsters are notorious for liking things until they become popular. Having watched both Lain and Texhnolyze, I don't understand why today's elitists prefer the latter. At some points it seems like it goes full edgecore like a second-rate Hellsing Ultimate. It was also so busy hanging over the edge that it failed to capture the essence of human nature. People hate on the SnK character cast but at least they have personality traits other than edge.
Jun 7, 2015 9:29 PM
Feb 2014
Hipsters pretty much make their favorite anime popular within their own circlejerk.

So much that unpopular series become popular and vice versa.

When you're on AD, that's the reality.
Jun 7, 2015 9:52 PM

Jan 2015
Zergneedsfood said:
Also, see, this is why I don't like talking Texhnolyze with people. Everyone just says shit like "oh it's edgy" and "oh it's just edgecore/nihilism" but Texhnolyze captures a lot of enlightening and optimistic elements of human nature and its ending is more often than not, rightfully interpreted as something that potentially ends on an uplifting tone despite its crushing implications.
that's why Skyz once said that
Skyzblue said:
zombie_pegasus said:
You can't make fun of my favorite anime if you haven't even seen it!

Yes we can!
You think people who bash others' 'taste' in the forums have actually seen those anime?

Bah!
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 7, 2015 10:16 PM

Sep 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
Inferno_Cop said:
I always find it funny that everytime I encounter a CRITIC on MAL, he/she always has top 5 shows from a subset of like 20 anime, like seriously there is no good anime outside of those shows?
Obviously not. :P

Shoo, shoo, you are ruining my story.
Singolo said:
Like Angel Blade = Good Taste

Is this mongrel serious?
Like Angel blade = Bad taste in hentai, go clean your soul by watching Kuroinu or Euphoria.
Jun 7, 2015 10:18 PM

Aug 2014
Something I wish I had
Jun 7, 2015 10:49 PM

Apr 2009
Anything that isn't new, new anime sucks
Jun 7, 2015 11:45 PM

Mar 2015
Also, see, this is why I don't like talking Texhnolyze with people. Everyone just says shit like "oh it's edgy" and "oh it's just edgecore/nihilism" but Texhnolyze captures a lot of enlightening and optimistic elements of human nature and its ending is more often than not, rightfully interpreted as something that potentially ends on an uplifting tone despite its crushing implications.

People who just dismiss Texhnolyze as trying too hard to be edgy largely don't seem to have made any effort into understanding that (or simply don't), not to mention that the whole "oh but the characters lack personality" is half the point to begin with. Having a "personality" doesn't constitute as being a good character anyway.

I liked the show. I just think it was a little rough around the edges as a final production. My feelings of art works are generally very personal, so I can see how different people can feel differently and frankly, there were just things that personally bothered me. It certainly was very ambitious. Some of the efforts connected with me and some didn’t. As far as being “deep” or whatever, plot obscureness was turned up to 11, as was the despair. I had extremely high hopes up until episode 7, with the atmosphere reminding me of one of my favorite movies which in the end, managed to be more impactful in 1/3 of the time. I even made a thread asking for recommendations for more animes which had that same kind of atmosphere. I was expecting an obscured plot to slowly reveal an enthralling dystopia as the fog was lifted, but instead it took the path of edge. Episode 8 was a disaster. That was where the superhuman plot-armored guy with the sword rushed into gunfire in the conflict orchestrated by a mysterious man from outside the city. At this point, the mysterious man had my interest (should’ve spent my interest points on something else). The scene was a clumsy mess. From this point forward the plot became more linear and I guess you can say the fog was lifted, but what was there was hugely disappointing compared to what could have been. This “gang war” phase dragged on for so long before taking an abrupt detour down spiritual lane, and then it was over. There didn’t seem to be much to read into what was there, and what wasn’t there became less interesting. The whole production from episode 8 on just had a very clumsy feeling to me, unified by yes, nihilism, until the train ride, which ended in the “ghost world” which itself was anticlimactic and frustrating to me. You can think about it all you want because unlike Lain, a lot of things are left unclear, and thus analysis of it can serve as a sort of Rorschach test – trying to decode any hidden meaning and often finding meaning where there is none. It was a unique experience, sure, but and I think people should watch it cause the production is flat out amazing, but really just not impactful like it could’ve been. Again this is all personal. You can take whatever you want out of it I guess but in the end, it’ll go down differently for me. I also see a prevalent pattern in art which relies on the apophenia of the critic community to project their own reactions onto empty slates under the pretense of “getting it”, which leads to a lot of works which are not so much abstract as empty. Now a lot of high ego elitist types will tell me I’m being dense or whatever but that’s just how I see it.

Warning: before making a long response, I must warn you that I probably won't put much effort into adding anything more cause I said what I have to say, despite being a sloppy, rough, verbal approximation, it took a lot of effort.
Jun 7, 2015 11:58 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I don't understand why MAL is so obsessed with this question... users know there's no definitive answer, but despite that, this thread keeps being made. Even if we asked Deep Thought what good taste is, and it said good taste is liking ecchi and harem only, fans would be like 'no'; so what's the point in even asking the question?
Jun 8, 2015 12:06 AM

Mar 2015
cybershrimp said:
but why?
Jun 8, 2015 12:10 AM
Jan 2015
Unyilkdr said:
cybershrimp said:
but why?
cuz new anime sucks get with the times
Jun 8, 2015 1:18 AM

Sep 2014
cybershrimp said:

a very stupid generalization
Jun 8, 2015 3:03 AM

Oct 2012
AttackOnTetris said:
I think Lain too well known at this point. Hipsters are notorious for liking things until they become popular.
If that's the case why would Legend of Galactic Heroes and all the other series mentioned still be popular? I actually find this amusing because I don't subscribe to the idea of "elitist anime" or that there is a significant number of people that like certain series to be "cool". In fact from what I can tell Lain is still popular, even more so than some of the other series that were listed. I guess I just like to entertain my own shit posting.
ShrabsterJun 8, 2015 3:10 AM

Jun 8, 2015 3:18 AM
May 2014
cybershrimp said:

you can stop watching anime because there is no more shitty old animes :)
tragedyloverJun 8, 2015 3:22 AM
Sturgeon's law : 90% of Everything is Crap
Jun 8, 2015 3:24 AM

Mar 2015
Shrabster said:
AttackOnTetris said:
I think Lain too well known at this point. Hipsters are notorious for liking things until they become popular.
If that's the case why would Legend of Galactic Heroes and all the other series mentioned still be popular? I actually find this amusing because I don't subscribe to the idea of "elitist anime" or that there is a significant number of people that like certain series to be "cool". In fact from what I can tell Lain is still popular, even more so than some of the other series that were listed. I guess I just like to entertain my own shit posting.

Look at the amount of people who have watched LOGH on MAL versus Lain. LOGH is still a cult thing - these forums just happen to be sort of at the epicenter of it. The elitists would rather circle jerk over the animes which they feel are more exclusive to their community without the widespread popularity.
Jun 8, 2015 4:29 AM

Sep 2014
BatoKusanagi said:
I don't understand why MAL is so obsessed with this question... users know there's no definitive answer, but despite that, this thread keeps being made. Even if we asked Deep Thought what good taste is, and it said good taste is liking ecchi and harem only, fans would be like 'no'; so what's the point in even asking the question?

Exactly, I feel that a lot of people are insecure about their own taste. People give too much attention to others' opinions and ratings. And it's not like taste is a reflection of a person's character...
Jun 8, 2015 8:55 AM

May 2015
BurningSpirit said:

In all seriousness, good taste is knowing why you find certain anime good with solid reason. And know the difference between something objectively good and something that just happens to appeal to you.

I don't think there's a difference between 'what appeals to you' and 'objectively good'. Being a good critic is understanding why something appeals to you. In a way, being a critic is more of an analysis of yourself than anything.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 8, 2015 10:07 AM

Jan 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
BurningSpirit said:

I don't think there's a difference between 'what appeals to you' and 'objectively good'. Being a good critic is understanding why something appeals to you. In a way, being a critic is more of an analysis of yourself than anything.
very insightful. one of bes t posts so far thank you
Jun 8, 2015 12:39 PM

Jun 2014
in my opinion good taste is being able to appreciate many different kinds and genres of anime its more about having a wide appreciation of the medium, rather than having some kind of specific "right" appreciation
Jun 8, 2015 1:00 PM

Jun 2014
Inferno_Cop said:
Otaku-Slayer said:
How to get good taste:

http://myanimelist.net/profile/literaturenerd
Judging by the number of reviews he's made and the way he reviews as well as his mean score, I guess this^ guy fits mal's community made up definition of "elitist." Yet as you can see his favourite anime is Elfen lied.

You guys are really trying way too hard to make these "elitists" look bad.
Jun 8, 2015 1:15 PM

Mar 2015
Agafin said:
Judging by the number of reviews he's made and the way he reviews as well as his mean score, I guess this^ guy fits mal's community made up definition of "elitist." Yet as you can see his favourite anime is Elfen lied.

He's definitely an elitist but not a community elitist. He has his own opinions and doesn't expect others to reciprocate his views. That is a lot more worthy of respect than trend-following.
Jun 8, 2015 1:42 PM

Jun 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
Agafin said:

He's definitely an elitist but not a community elitist. He has his own opinions and doesn't expect others to reciprocate his views. That is a lot more worthy of respect than trend-following.

umm what is a "community elitist"?
Jun 8, 2015 1:46 PM

Jan 2015
Agafin said:
AttackOnTetris said:

umm what is a "community elitist"?
member of the 'elitist' community. so like the logh and monster nge bandwagoners.
Jun 8, 2015 1:49 PM

May 2015
What is an elitist, anyway?

I think I might be a stereotypical elitist because of how I analyze stuff and discuss themes and such. I don't follow the typical story/character/animation format but try to think how the anime fits in the bigger picture of storytelling. Yet I don't consider myself above a fun anime like Date A Live or Medabots - sometimes they're the best out there

So what's an elitist?

RE: 'variety'

I don't think variety is necessary for a 'good taste'. It's perfectly reasonable to dislike a whole genre. I'd expect that person to make a serious case why writes off Romance or Action completely.
Jun 8, 2015 1:58 PM

May 2015
Good taste is when two people can share a bag of popcorn without any complaints. The taste becomes bad if one person happens to put too much salt on the popcorn.
Jun 8, 2015 2:04 PM

Jun 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:

I think I might be a stereotypical elitist because of how I analyze stuff and discuss themes and such. I don't follow the typical story/character/animation format but try to think how the anime fits in the bigger picture of storytelling. Yet I don't consider myself above a fun anime like Date A Live or Medabots - sometimes they're the best out there

So what's an elitist?

I don't think variety is necessary for a 'good taste'. It's perfectly reasonable to dislike a whole genre. I'd expect that person to make a serious case why writes off Romance or Action completely.

What's an elitist? Well, contrary to MAL's popular belief it's not what anime you like - just because you have NGE, Mushishi, LoGH etc in your favorites doesn't make you an elitist. It's just a mindset, a mindset that comes from an overly inflated ego or just putting on a brave face behind anonymity where you think your opinion is truth, and holds more value than the typical user.
Jun 8, 2015 2:08 PM

Jul 2013
A good taste is having Shirobako on their favorites.
Jun 8, 2015 2:48 PM

May 2015
FloatsBoats said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

So what's an elitist?

What's an elitist? Well, contrary to MAL's popular belief it's not what anime you like - just because you have NGE, Mushishi, LoGH etc in your favorites doesn't make you an elitist. It's just a mindset, a mindset that comes from an overly inflated ego or just putting on a brave face behind anonymity where you think your opinion is truth, and holds more value than the typical user.

I do think my opinion holds more value than a person who has no ability to explain why he likes something. Maybe it sounds elitist, but there isn't much to discuss with people who can't explain their opinions.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Birthday gifts!!!

Yonahim_Zz - 8 hours ago

21 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you guys pretend to hate anime?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

14 by HigherLvLThinker »»
4 minutes ago

» which anime character resonates with you the most? to be specific, who's your "literally me" anime character?

FruitPunchBaka - May 8

27 by DefeatingMe »»
5 minutes ago

» Are you involved in any fandom activity?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

31 by Coaghim »»
7 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - May 9

80 by Piromysl »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.