Forum Settings
Forums

Are you studying Chinese? (Mandarin, Fukien, Cantonese)

New
Jun 4, 2015 10:05 PM

Jan 2015

Do you study that language? If yes, how are you fluent on it? Can you also read Chinese characters?

Well, I can only read a few Characters and speak few sentences like "wo shi lao shi" which means "I'm a teacher"
How bout u?
DiginarcissaJun 5, 2015 12:22 AM
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 4, 2015 10:07 PM
Apr 2014
No, but I have a lot of friends at my school who take Chinese for the easy A because they already speak it fluently.
Jun 4, 2015 10:07 PM

Apr 2015
I dont study chinese , cuz im not a weaboo

Hi
Jun 4, 2015 10:09 PM

Oct 2012
No, but I plan on taking Mandarin classes later this summer.
Jun 4, 2015 10:33 PM

Feb 2015
No point. They write their menus in English.
Jun 4, 2015 10:37 PM

Dec 2014
That is a gross sounding language.
Jun 4, 2015 11:04 PM

Oct 2012
I'm Chinese and I grew up speaking Cantonese and English. I did Chinese school to learn mandarin for a few years but I didn't learn a thing because I was young, didn't pay attention or give two shits. I kind of regret it now.

Jun 4, 2015 11:28 PM
Jul 2018
ya i can speak like a gweilo
Jun 4, 2015 11:30 PM

May 2011
My family is from Hong Kong so I can speak Cantonese fairly well for an American-born Chinese. Learning Mandarin in college right now (going to be in the advanced level this fall semester). The class only teaches us simplified characters though so unfortunately I can't read traditional with the exception of a couple ones :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2015 11:37 PM

Dec 2014
No, I'm not learning Chinese because I'm not going into the international business field where it would actually be useful.

However, I'll have plenty of opportunities to learn Chinese when China takes over the U.S. and the world.
Jun 4, 2015 11:43 PM

May 2010
I was studying Mandarin from home two years ago and took two semesters of classes of it last year, but I haven't done anything with it recently. Sad, as I made a ton of friends during that time and even dated someone because of the circumstances it allowed me.
Jun 4, 2015 11:53 PM

Sep 2012
MidnightLPA said:
oh there's worse
Jun 5, 2015 12:49 AM

Jul 2012
I would like to learn how to read it, that's all. I speak Mando already.
Jun 5, 2015 1:03 AM

Apr 2012
Wish i learned how to read my language. I can speak Cantonese, but not currently studying it :/

Jun 5, 2015 2:10 AM
May 2009
I prefer the traditional symbols rather than simplified, mainly cause the simplified versions are usually uglier and their original symbol was already simple enough, so it seemed pointless to simplify it.

I can speak cantonese fairly fluently. And i can read manga fine. so I guess its fine.
Though Manga has context due to pictures.
Jun 5, 2015 2:27 AM

Feb 2012
I wish I could but I only know "ne-how-ma" and "wa-honey."

Jun 5, 2015 2:27 AM

Oct 2012
I learned mandarin for about a year.
i think it sounds incredibly beautiful.
but i lost track of it somehow, had too much other stuff going on.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Jun 5, 2015 2:31 AM

May 2015
No point of studying a language from a country that I shall destroy in the future.
Jun 5, 2015 3:03 AM

Mar 2008
What the heck is Fukien? I did not even heear of that one before. I thought there was only two Chinese languages.
Jun 5, 2015 3:08 AM

Oct 2012
traed said:
What the heck is Fukien? I did not even heear of that one before. I thought there was only two Chinese languages.
What the heck are all of these?

Jun 5, 2015 3:13 AM

Jun 2014
Aeldrian said:
I dont study chinese , cuz im not a weaboo

I don't even...
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 5, 2015 3:17 AM
Apr 2013
Listening to people speaking Mandarin is like hearing chipmunks trying to imitate human speech. So, no. I don't like the language and also being the only guy in my Chinese/Mandarin class back in High school that failed the written exams consistently over two years. I couldn't be bothered.
Jun 5, 2015 3:23 AM
Oct 2014
LemonCup said:
I'm Chinese and I grew up speaking Cantonese and English. I did Chinese school to learn mandarin for a few years but I didn't learn a thing because I was young, didn't pay attention or give two shits. I kind of regret it now.

Isn't chinese languages as similar to each other like the germanic languages? Wouldn't it be rather 'easy' to learn mandarin if you're cantonese native speaker? Just curious~

Jun 5, 2015 3:33 AM

Oct 2012
Rarusu_ said:
LemonCup said:

Isn't chinese languages as similar to each other like the germanic languages? Wouldn't it be rather 'easy' to learn mandarin if you're cantonese native speaker? Just curious~
I guess I had an advantage that I didn't take. I was a typical bratty 8 year old who much preferred art than the language my mum was forcing down my throat.

Jun 5, 2015 3:33 AM
May 2009
Rarusu_ said:
LemonCup said:

Yes and no.

Mainly due to Dialect differences.
Cantonese is more in my view evolved. some words that exist in spoken cantonese do not exist in mandarin. Mandarin is more traditional text.
Jun 5, 2015 3:48 AM
Oct 2014
LemonCup said:
I guess I had an advantage that I didn't take. I was a typical bratty 8 year old who much preferred art than the language my mum was forcing down my throat.

ah I see, 8 years old is very young, so it's not strange if you thought it was boring.

shintai88 said:

Yes and no.

Cantonese is more in my view evolved. some words that exist in spoken cantonese do not exist in mandarin. Mandarin is more traditional text.

I guess then that mandarin is a conservative language, and cantonese is a more analytical language? Maybe it has more influences from english than mandarin has I presume.

Jun 5, 2015 3:51 AM

Jan 2013
Casually.

I think Chinese is 10x easier than Japanese. Although Chinese's spellings are somewhat hard but you can get used to it. However Japanese's two or three reading kanjis are definitely confusing and hard to remember
Jun 5, 2015 3:54 AM

Jan 2009
TheGoldenLion said:
No point of studying a language from a country that I shall destroy in the future.

too bad sooner or later asian neighbors of china will be force to learn it because china's invasion will happen from recent developments
Jun 5, 2015 4:02 AM

Jan 2015
j0x said:
TheGoldenLion said:

too bad sooner or later asian neighbors of china will be force to learn it because china's invasion will happen from recent developments
i hope not
I hate submitting myself to communism
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 5, 2015 4:19 AM
May 2009
Rarusu_ said:

shintai88 said:

Yes and no.

I guess then that mandarin is a conservative language, and cantonese is a more analytical language? Maybe it has more influences from english than mandarin has I presume.

Cantonese again has its own varied dialects. Mainly as you have pointed out due to different influences. Hong Kong has its own compared to Canton.
Jun 5, 2015 7:30 AM

Apr 2007
I 'studied' Mandarin in elementary school but it was a really low-standard class that no one - not even the teacher - took seriously, a class that only existed so the school could brag that its students were taught foreign languages on their promotional material. (I also did the same with French in high school.)

So... ni hao, xie xie ni, I literally don't remember anything else.
Jun 5, 2015 8:02 AM

Mar 2014
MidnightLPA said:
Just wait until you hear Luxembourgish
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 5, 2015 8:14 AM

Jan 2009
I'm not studying it right now, but I consider to do so some Day™ (at least Mandarin).

Comic_Sans said:
MidnightLPA said:
Just wait until you hear Luxembourgish West Central German
agreed nah, it's not that bad.
Jun 23, 2015 8:03 PM
Jun 2015
I started 2 weeks ago to learn mandarin with Hanbridge Mandarin ( http://www.hanbridgemandarin.com ) And I got a lot of fun learning Chinese.
Jun 23, 2015 8:08 PM
Jul 2018
I studied when I was in highschool (Japanese, Mandarin, etc.). Seriously, I already forget but Japanese.
Jun 23, 2015 8:09 PM
Jul 2018
Nice necro
Jun 24, 2015 11:00 PM
Mar 2015
No.

But I have a friend that studies korean,so she might help me?
Jun 25, 2015 9:08 AM

Jun 2015
I am chinese, so yes I do study chinese,
Chinese is my mother language, too.
English is another language which i use as frequency as Chinese.
Jun 26, 2015 2:57 AM
Jan 2014
I'm Chinese so Chinese is my mother tongue but English is my first language and the language I'm most fluent in. Embarrassingly, I have difficulty expressing myself in Chinese and struggle to read the more complex Chinese characters whereas I have no problem when it comes to English. I'm a disgrace to the Chinese race.
Jun 26, 2015 4:49 AM

May 2015
I've picked up studying Mandarin as a hobby but eventually fell out of love with it. I'm sure I will go back to it one day, though.
“Happiness is the abscence of the striving for happiness.”
- Zhuangzi
Mar 16, 2017 9:24 PM
Mar 2017
Rarusu_ said:
LemonCup said:

Yes, from Cantonese to Mandarin or from Mandarin to Cantonese, either way will be ""not too difficult" I believe.

These are two SPOKEN styles/dialects of Chinese language. As an official spoken “dialect”, Mandarin is widely used in Mainland China, Taiwan area and Singapore. Cantonese is specifically for Hong Kong and some overseas Chinese communities. One of the most important questions that many new potential Chinese learners may ask themselves is: Should I learn Mandarin or Cantonese?
If your goal is to be widely understood, you should learn Mandarin because Mandarin can be understood even in Hong Kong, Macau and Canton (the main regions who still speak Cantonese), and more and more Cantonese speakers are learning Mandarin nowadays. If you really want to be able to connect with people from Hong Kong, Macau, and Canton, you can still consider learning Cantonese. But you should still know that Cantonese is often seen as more difficult. Its use of “tones” can be even more challenging to western speakers than Mandarin.
It’s easier to find people to teach you Mandarin, including some of your Chinese friends who have learned “proper Mandarin”, and who may be able to teach you the language step-by-step; More Mandarin learning materials are available from all sorts of sources and at a variety of levels; With the current economic growth of China, it’s likely that Mandarin will be a key language of the future.
Mar 17, 2017 8:55 AM

Feb 2015
I am not studying it. A pain in the ass since I wouldn't use it in my daily life anyway. Just a waste of time. I can watch anime in sub and will do it.
Mar 18, 2017 11:54 AM

Dec 2014
Yeah, sort of yeah. I started it a few months ago, and it was kinda straight forward, but I'm little bored now.
The tones are a struggle and the confusing grammar kinda make me lose motivation :/
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Mar 18, 2017 12:58 PM

Dec 2009
I may learn Taishanese (to speak with Tarzan) and Fuzhounese depending on time and materials I have
Mar 18, 2017 4:46 PM

Feb 2017
I studied Mandarin as an extra module at uni for 2 years. I'd say I'm probably around A-level standard. I recognise around 700 characters, and can hold a basic conversation. I find understanding spoken mandarin the hardest part!
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Mar 20, 2017 11:34 AM

Mar 2017
my mother tongue is cantonese, but i also can speak mandarin.

my proud card collection here

in love with a ghost - flowers feat. nori ♪

More topics from this board

» Friends are Important in Our Life ?

Agent39 - Feb 29

38 by rohan121 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » doing things you shouldnt do vs saying things you shouldnt say

56709 - Dec 17, 2022

18 by traed »»
41 minutes ago

» About Sawano Hiroyuki

RudeRedis - 3 hours ago

2 by Theo1899 »»
2 hours ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 18

54 by lio34 »»
2 hours ago

» Is MAL dead? ( 1 2 3 )

-Mayhem- - Nov 30, 2022

110 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.