Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 20, 2015 9:37 AM
Jan 2012
The "tragedy" of Aoi lies in the fact that she was one of those who were really committed to the club but couldn't stop those equally eager from quitting because of the last year's sabotage incident by those who weren't committed. If they had a good teacher like Taki Sensei last year, Aoi may have won to the nationals and perhaps would have continued the club. The more the non-committed (mainly the gone past 3rd graders but also the current 2nd graders [the leftovers like Natsuki] and 3rd graders) become committed by guidance of Taki-sensei, she regrets and feels guilt for those who had to quit because of her weakness and others' bad behavior. Asuka avoids to take sides for some reason (perhaps because she is a lone genius and can't care less about others- she should have a reason for this coldness), and Kaori is a universal flirt. Natsuki saw the wrongdoings against the eager ones but remained a bystander, perhaps even became a perpetrator in some circumstances.

Which is a bit complex and not easy to understand. They all have their good qualities as well as bad ones.
GohanwaOkazuMay 21, 2015 9:45 AM
May 20, 2015 1:04 PM
Apr 2014
lol that end. Kumikos reaction was great :D Perfectly ended the episode!

I'm really wondering why all the members of the club were shocked that Aoi quit. It made perfect sense. She couldn't focus on concert band because she wanted to get in a certain college. She just would have dragged everybody else down. Right decision to quit even if the timing might have been a bit awkward. If she didn't quit the other members would have complained why she didn't take it as serious as the rest was.
Really confusing behavior of the members in this episode.

Well. let's see what happens next.
May 20, 2015 1:16 PM

Jan 2015
The second- and third-years are a lot more interesting than I thought at first!

I like the dynamics between them, and their contrasting but occasionally overlapping personalities. Haruka is obviously insecure and can't say no. Strong sense of responsibility and eager to please, but desperately wondering if what she is doing is right. Doesn't believe in herself much. I get the feeling that Kaori is quite similar, but her projected personality is up-to-par with the fake-it-till-you-make-it that she circumvents the issues that Haruka projects outrightly. It's nice to see that she is incredibly kind and a little self-conscious, even with her (supposedly) stunning good looks. Aoi is... complicated? I think she's pressured but also pressuring herself. Good to stand up for what you want, though.

In all of this, Asuka is giving me whiplash. She doesn't fit any stereotypical Japanese character profiles (although that seems to be the prevailing idea in Hibike! Euphonium), but I think a little more character background would help resolve that issue. All in all I think it was an interesting approach to delve back into drama with a different set of characters this time around. Hoping for a little more Reina screentime next week, though. And maybe a better idea of who Kumiko's secondary traumatic event instigator is.

I'm really starting to believe this will be 2-cour. Strange how they haven't announced the number of episodes yet.

May 20, 2015 2:28 PM

Apr 2014
Aww, Aoi quit the band.
Kumiko still have something in her past that wasn't told yet...interesting.
I know it, Hazuki have feeling for Shuuichi.
Hazuki asking Kumiko at the end lol hahaha
Looking forward to more music.
May 20, 2015 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
A lot of drama this episode, I thought she wouldn't quit tbh and I was kind of disappointed that she did but it's better now then a day before the competition or something.

I'm not a shipper of any kind but Please please don't turn into a love triangle!!! I don't want to see stupid jealousy! o(>< )o
removed-userMay 20, 2015 8:46 PM
May 20, 2015 3:07 PM

Oct 2013
The romance slid in decently. I liked the major character developments, and the incident between the band kids was interesting.
May 20, 2015 4:02 PM

Apr 2015
Even if it's a cliche, it's a pairing that's favored by normal viewers.

Kumiko X Shuichi is fate.
#CHEXIT
May 20, 2015 6:12 PM

Jul 2011
Eh. The romance will be drama too I feel... at this point I cannot see him reciprocating her feelings. The drama is stuffy and heavy (but realistic). Especially since the romance has suddenly popped up, adding to the heavy sentiment. It better not turn into a love triangle...

I can't wait for nationals; they better not crash and burn. >__<
MirorinMay 20, 2015 7:23 PM
May 20, 2015 9:42 PM

Jan 2008
Imeon said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying Shuuichi/Kumiko is fate but the chances of it happening is pretty high. On the other hand, there's a chance of Shuuichi/Hazuki happening. Saying that, I ship Shuuichi/Kumiko.
May 20, 2015 9:55 PM

Apr 2015
HatsumiShinogu said:
Imeon said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying Shuuichi/Kumiko is fate but the chances of it happening is pretty high. On the other hand, there's a chance of Shuuichi/Hazuki happening. Saying that, I ship Shuuichi/Kumiko.

I also guess that it maybe start as ShuuichiXHazuki but later ends in ShuushiXKumiko. Sometimes it takes a third person to make them realize their feelings.
#CHEXIT
May 20, 2015 11:12 PM
Sep 2014
niwasatou said:
L-Ryoshi said:
Another great episode. This time around the mood was decidedly darker than previously. We get to see them finally address the issue from last year, and we even had a flashback (for a second consecutive week) of Himeko

Her name is Kumiko. It grates a bit when reading your rather long post.

And lots of people previously thought her name was Hibiki. This might just become a meme.

destructo22 said:
Wait, in the flashback that Natsuki was talking about, aren't she and Riko supposed to be first years? Why are they wearing the blue bows, then? It doesn't seem to be a mistake, so I don't understand.

The colours probably rotate, as in you keep whatever colour you got for the entire three years you're there. Saves you the trouble of having to get three different ribbons/shoes. For example, say the girls in my grade received a blue ribbon when they came in. Second years have green, and third years have red. When the next batch of students come in, the third years would've graduated so the new students get red ribbons. The ex-second years would still have green and the girls in my grade would still have blue.

My secondary school did something similar with the colour of our PE/PT tops.
May 21, 2015 12:25 AM

May 2010
Wow this was pretty damn good. I am totally loving how realistic it is, like how Aoi quit for real. There was no, "I realized I was wrong." No, she was headstrong and she told everyone that she wants to quit. Applause.

Need I say Natsuki is perfection? She reminds me of Iwasawa from Angel Beats.

Exactly. I thought there was something off with Asuka from the first episode (as a result I thought she was a bit overrated here on MAL) She's definitely putting up a front, and faking some of it. So glad it was really like that, now she will have some good character development, and deserve the popularity she has.

And I am hoping for Kumiko and Shuichi. Their moments are great and I love the chemistry between them. Think they could end up a good couple. . And please, there's a fine line between refreshing, good cliche, bad cliche and plain horrible, this pairing is a mixture of the first two. Hazuki's love seems more like a first crush type, something which will help her grow into a better person. Plus I'm not really feeling her moments with Shuichi. Of-course that's just my opinion.

One of the best episodes of this anime for sure.
May 21, 2015 2:30 AM

Jun 2013
And in comes the love triangle
May 21, 2015 6:42 AM

Oct 2013
Lol'd at Kumiko going dumbfounded at the end with Hazuki's question. XD
Imeon said:

I feel like Shuichi x Hazuki has more chances to happen.
May 21, 2015 8:23 AM

Apr 2015
I have to say that this is massively underrated here. 7.48 is a horrible score, it should be at least touching 8. I look at this and I look at this season's Nisekoi score and I despair.

Maybe that cements the scores are not that reliable but still.
May 21, 2015 10:04 AM

Dec 2013
Nuvi said:
Imeon said:

For those who think that viewer opinions and ship popularity have anything to do with a studio's decision, please allow me to refer you all to the Disasterpiece known as Aldnoah.Zero......

If there's one thing I learned from Shirobako, it's that the direction that our esteemed director has decided on was probably decided at least three months ago. I highly doubt there's going to be any major changes due to "popular viewer demand"... Maybe in the BDs, but defiitely not for this show. If speculation is correct and this is a 2 cour show, then most likely they're already working on the last 25% of the show by now.

And seriously, why not just leave romance out of shows like these? It's been driven by the story and the characters well enough thus far, and needless to say it's been plenty strong even discounting the romantic undertones for the first 6 episodes. The band growth and the individual character interactions, and the yet untold "back-stories" have been what's kept me here in the first place. No need for overly cliche romance triangle drama here.

My OTP of MidorixTuba-Kun will never sink anyway :P

Tuba is Love. Tuba is Life!

L-RyoshiMay 21, 2015 10:13 AM
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 21, 2015 12:49 PM

May 2014
I liked how they focused on Aoi-chan in this ep. Usually the focus is on Kumiko and the other two girls she is hanging around with. I think it's good that the other girl also get some screentime.

And that ending, though. LOL, hahah. Kumiko were just wtf?? haah xD
May 21, 2015 2:52 PM
Apr 2015
I hope the Club President gets more screen time.
May 21, 2015 2:54 PM

Aug 2009
I like Euphonium but another drama episode, really ?
I really didn't care about Aoi sadly, I didn't even remember it was her when I read her name, so this episode was a bit "so much for that ?".

Really hope the pace goes faster next episode.

L-Ryoshi said:

And seriously, why not just leave romance out of shows like these?

Hmm no, romance is part of relationships, and in this kind of show, how people behave with each other is really important. I think a bit of romance just feels more natural, of course if not taking all the place.
ZiassanMay 21, 2015 2:58 PM
May 21, 2015 5:20 PM
Jan 2015
no romance in its genre so I thought this is just some filler to make this story more exciting, I dont think Kumiko like Shuichi because they are just childhood friend and looks like no hin of romance at all but we dont know Shuichi's feeling and we cant guess what will Kumiko say later.
May 21, 2015 6:03 PM

Dec 2013
Ziassan said:

L-Ryoshi said:

And seriously, why not just leave romance out of shows like these?

Hmm no, romance is part of relationships, and in this kind of show, how people behave with each other is really important. I think a bit of romance just feels more natural, of course if not taking all the place.

Ah, but can you really deny that the first six episodes have been perfectly fine without any (okay, maybe a very very slight hint of) romance drama?

The struggles to adapt to a new teacher, the improvement of the band as a group, the different changes in the attitudes of senior and sophomore band members, the beautiful band music, the continuous discovery of one another, and all the hilarity that ensues because the four main girls. Those are the elements that have been pushing this show forward, not some sappy romance stuff.
K-On did it, Love Live did it, Wake Up Girls did it, many other shows have as well (specifically those with more female main cast than male ones that seem to deal with music......... exactly like this show), and they have all prospered without it.

Sure we can have romance in the background of the show, I'm just saying that it really isn't necessary for all shows to drag out some romance triangle drama out of nowhere just to push sales, especially not for shows as strong as this one.
The show was doing fine on its own. As the old saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 21, 2015 7:28 PM
Apr 2013
Excellent episode. I like Asuka even more and as usual when you are strong above the others, people becomes wary of you even IRL. And Hazuki never stops entertaining me each episode. She is truly the best girl.
May 21, 2015 9:39 PM

Aug 2011
I usually never marathon anything - but I just had this urge that I needed to watch this show. And boy was it right. I swear the episodes end after a few minutes.

Great character relationships and the OST is superb.

I get that Aoi had her own things to resolve, and I only expected her to quit for the competition and then come back. Not the entire band completely! Hopefully she comes back.

Eh, while I'm on the Hazuki/Shuichi road, I'm hoping it doesn't go into some love triangle thing with Kumiko. I feel like shoving romance into the story would just make things awkward like it did with Aoi's resignation. Then again I'm also hoping for Kumiko/Reina lol

Can't wait for next episode.

May 22, 2015 9:10 AM

Oct 2014
L-Ryoshi said:
Ziassan said:

Ah, but can you really deny that the first six episodes have been perfectly fine without any (okay, maybe a very very slight hint of) romance drama?

The struggles to adapt to a new teacher, the improvement of the band as a group, the different changes in the attitudes of senior and sophomore band members, the beautiful band music, the continuous discovery of one another, and all the hilarity that ensues because the four main girls. Those are the elements that have been pushing this show forward, not some sappy romance stuff.
K-On did it, Love Live did it, Wake Up Girls did it, many other shows have as well (specifically those with more female main cast than male ones that seem to deal with music......... exactly like this show), and they have all prospered without it.

Sure we can have romance in the background of the show, I'm just saying that it really isn't necessary for all shows to drag out some romance triangle drama out of nowhere just to push sales, especially not for shows as strong as this one.
The show was doing fine on its own. As the old saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

However the main theme of this show is "adolescence" so wouldn't it be accurate to also throw in romance too. Personally I just want to get rid of Hazuki from this love triangle bullshit and just have Kumiko and Shuuichi hook up instead. Well we will see some interesting drama ahead. My romantist side is tingling.
My life is boring cause I'm boring
If you're not at school what can you do, you stare at a screen of bright pixels
May 22, 2015 3:43 PM
Jan 2012
I think the whole point of producing Hibike Euphonium is in trying new ways, particularly departing from how things were done in K-On!. They would just make the 3rd season of K-On! if they were not challenging new horizons; maybe they would have even done a new series of Haruhi or Free if they wanted to keep old ways (but that would bore them).

Director Ishihara actually told in an interview that the story is good in that it's not cute and fluffy at all (he didn't mention K-On! but everyone knows what he's trying to say; that this is not a K-On Season 3).

Apparently the producer introduced KyoAni side about the new novel taking scenery from Uji (KyoAni's home turf), and after reading the book, they requested producing it. Initially both Ishihara and Yamada were approached to direct it as an animation series (Yamada probably declined as she would be seen as betraying K-On!). At least that is what is disclosed in the interview.

Romance is a favored theme of directors Ishihara and Yamada who are both deeply involved in K-On! and Eupho (remember Ishihara's Kannon, Clannad, and Chunibyo; Yamada is doing this as her major involvement after her gaining success with Tamako Love Story). Also, the author of the original novel (university student) first published her works in the romantic comedy genre; Hibike Euphonium is sold as a part of love story novel series !

Obviously the girls gain life when they have guys to admire. Whether that develops into a relationship is maybe not that important in teen days. I can easily see Hazuki being disappointed to see Shuuichi in love with Kumiko, and Kumiko torn in the changing relationship with Hazuki and Shuichi, but that sort of bitter-sweetness is probably what I am looking forward to in this series. Although I would madly reject the idea of Yui or Mio falling in love with a new guy out of the gutter. Mochizo was a good guy from the beginning so it was natural to see him with Tamako.

Btw, no one mentions the funny relationship between Yuko (trumpet girl with ribbon) and Natsuki (the non-energetic ponytail). They obviously don't get well together, but actually they look like close friends (and perhaps they will become close friends).
GohanwaOkazuMay 22, 2015 4:27 PM
May 22, 2015 4:35 PM

Dec 2014
So there goes one interesting part of the whole story. Ever since it aired I've got pretty frustrated by its narrative, firstly the characters are always know more than you do and the way they retain the information is so artificial and when the exposition drops the drama that follows got resolved so fast that it doesn't have enough time to leave any emotional impact. If it is just a SoL it is excusable but when the show is clearly made to have a plot, to create drama, also not a mystery, if I can't following the path pf thoughts these characters have because I don't have a clear picture of the whole situation, I can't put myself on their positions, thus emotionally separates me from them.

Secondly and I think it's self-explainable, it's Kyoto Ani. after all, why do we have to following Kumiko as the main prospective of the narrative, when most of the time she is just a boring, passive character, which again, they decided to not show all elements necessary to understand her, also a pretty common and cheap trick to keep viewers interested in now come to think of it, even Tari Tari does that with the whole backstory of the teacher, but that got revealed early and what happened next related to the backstory lasted for a couple more episodes and we see how some of the characters affected by it, when Reina, or even Ogasawara is a more interesting character than those other two girls that are so bland if not because of their moe traits I've already forgotten them. I understand they are probably trying do a new take on the school drama or something like that but I've got to say Tari Tari already does that and right now it's much better than this anime, except the quality of the visuals of course. And the plot-line-hopping is also killing the show for me, again Tari Tari does that, but I'm sure in the same episode I understand those characters more than that of this show.

And if you say they have given enough foreshadowing before they decide to reveal the information I would like to say that is not foreshadowing, that's just teasing. Foreshadowing is to give hints on what would possibly happen next in the story, not what have already happened in the story but you are not allowed to know.

And lastly, the romance is not gonna be interesting because the characters are so boring at this point, I wish they should just go full retard to make a yuri out of that.

Art imitating life I guess, but life is boring, and it's not marketable, sometimes.
raveninthemuddleMay 22, 2015 4:41 PM
May 22, 2015 4:41 PM

Apr 2015
Nuvi said:
Imeon said:

I don't think Shuuichi will fall easily for Hazuki. Shuuichi and Kumiko has more potential chemistry than Hazuki x Shuuichi. They may not be close but they have a strong bond.

L-Ryoshi said:
Nuvi said:

For those who think that viewer opinions and ship popularity have anything to do with a studio's decision, please allow me to refer you all to the Disasterpiece known as Aldnoah.Zero......

If there's one thing I learned from Shirobako, it's that the direction that our esteemed director has decided on was probably decided at least three months ago. I highly doubt there's going to be any major changes due to "popular viewer demand"... Maybe in the BDs, but defiitely not for this show. If speculation is correct and this is a 2 cour show, then most likely they're already working on the last 25% of the show by now.

And seriously, why not just leave romance out of shows like these? It's been driven by the story and the characters well enough thus far, and needless to say it's been plenty strong even discounting the romantic undertones for the first 6 episodes. The band growth and the individual character interactions, and the yet untold "back-stories" have been what's kept me here in the first place. No need for overly cliche romance triangle drama here.

My OTP of MidorixTuba-Kun will never sink anyway :P

It falls down "IF" the director's thought is not the same as the viewers. Directors think of what they think can be a popular pairing but YOU CAN'T FULLY SAY that what they think is ALWAYS the OPPOSITE of what the viewers think.
RPSB9May 22, 2015 4:45 PM
#CHEXIT
May 22, 2015 5:48 PM
Jan 2012
AaaaaaKun said:
So there goes one interesting part of the whole story. Ever since it aired I've got pretty frustrated by its narrative, firstly the characters are always know more than you do and the way they retain the information is so artificial and when the exposition drops the drama that follows got resolved so fast that it doesn't have enough time to leave any emotional impact. If it is just a SoL it is excusable but when the show is clearly made to have a plot, to create drama, also not a mystery, if I can't following the path pf thoughts these characters have because I don't have a clear picture of the whole situation, I can't put myself on their positions, thus emotionally separates me from them.

Secondly and I think it's self-explainable, it's Kyoto Ani. after all, why do we have to following Kumiko as the main prospective of the narrative, when most of the time she is just a boring, passive character, which again, they decided to not show all elements necessary to understand her, also a pretty common and cheap trick to keep viewers interested in now come to think of it, even Tari Tari does that with the whole backstory of the teacher, but that got revealed early and what happened next related to the backstory lasted for a couple more episodes and we see how some of the characters affected by it, when Reina, or even Ogasawara is a more interesting character than those other two girls that are so bland if not because of their moe traits I've already forgotten them. I understand they are probably trying do a new take on the school drama or something like that but I've got to say Tari Tari already does that and right now it's much better than this anime, except the quality of the visuals of course. And the plot-line-hopping is also killing the show for me, again Tari Tari does that, but I'm sure in the same episode I understand those characters more than that of this show.

And if you say they have given enough foreshadowing before they decide to reveal the information I would like to say that is not foreshadowing, that's just teasing. Foreshadowing is to give hints on what would possibly happen next in the story, not what have already happened in the story but you are not allowed to know.

And lastly, the romance is not gonna be interesting because the characters are so boring at this point, I wish they should just go full retard to make a yuri out of that.

Art imitating life I guess, but life is boring, and it's not marketable, sometimes.

I understand what you are saying, and agree with you partly, but if you are more attentive you might see things differently (excuse me, but I feel that some people aren't thinking enough to understand this anime). Perhaps you have missed some of the details to understand what was foreshadowed, in the relationship between Asuka, Haruka, Kaori, Aoi, and second graders like Natsuki and Yuko (because it's boring to you; you want something more clear-cut and easy to understand). Perhaps you don't understand the nature of relationship between Reina and Kumiko because you've got a bad understanding of it as if it's just Yuri stuff. When it's about a contrast of personalities (highly motivated and lone Reina don't minding having conflicts to achieve higher target; yet-to-be-motivated but sociable Kumiko worrying too much about conflicts), and friendship based on understanding of other's different personality.

Perhaps you just don't like the series and want to dump it- which is fine, go ahead. But sometimes you need patience to acquire a certain taste (like for black coffee without milk or sugar).
GohanwaOkazuMay 22, 2015 6:33 PM
May 22, 2015 6:47 PM

Aug 2009
L-Ryoshi said:

[...]

I just meant romance can happen or not and that's not a problem for it to happen, it's like, part of a story, like any other event.
Of course it's not gonna be the main thing of the story, but avoiding the subject just for the sake or avoiding it or that it's not "original enough" would be silly.
The anime topic is mostly "relationships between people in a group" together with "moving as a group toward an objective", the group being the band, and romance is just one part of relationships.

For example I didn't find this episode topic really interesting in itself, the drama of a girl we didn't know about and people over caring about it... well, even a romance driven episode showing how it can be complexe within the band's small world, would be better.
May 22, 2015 6:58 PM

Dec 2014
GohanwaOkazu said:

I understand what you are saying, and agree with you partly, but if you are more attentive you might see things differently (excuse me, but I feel that some people aren't thinking enough to understand it). Perhaps you have missed some of the details to understand what was foreshadowed, in the relationship between Asuka, Haruka, Kaori, Aoi, and second graders like Natsuki and Yuko. Perhaps you don't understand the nature of relationship between Reina and Kumiko because you've got a bad understanding of it as if it's just Yuri stuff. When it's about a contrast of personalities (highly motivated and lone Reina don't minding having conflicts to achieve higher target; yet-to-be-motivated but sociable Kumiko worrying too much about conflicts), and friendship based on understanding of other's different personalities which are both pros and cons.

Perhaps you just don't like the series and want to dump it- which is fine, go ahead. But sometimes you need patience to acquire a certain taste (like black coffee).

The relationship between Asuka and others is great stuff, I like the way they are handling it, and I never said it's bad or uninteresting. I implied it has more potential than the three main cast we are currently following but the plot line went by so fast that I can follow the logic but I barely have any emotional response other than "Yes, I get it." rather than "Oh, I know how it's feel Haruka". And now you are just putting words in my mouth, saying I misinterpret or just being plain ignorance to the relationship between Reina and Kumiko as yuri, I don't even mention their relationship once, I was just saying Kumiko is too indecisive and inactive to follow which sure she has her own personality and character but if the anime do intended this to be a drama, following Asuka or Reina is a better choice.

I dislike any discussion when one of the participator just assume other's agenda without actually focus on what kind of idea they are presenting, how funny is that you start with a polite introduction and then go full prejudice on me. Okay I got one: Really? Black coffee? I guess you are that kind of person who enjoys the cliché "Youngsters buy black coffee from vending machine to show they are emotionally troubled, therefore becoming mature?" (there's one in Nagi no Asukara FYI), you probably think it is so sophisticated and mature when it's no lazier than "character playing chess to show his is smart" IMO, maybe you are a two-dimensional anime character so you can relate to that infinitely but I'm an actual human being, I have my own thoughts.

See how it's annoying? If just to annoy me is what you intended in the first place than I think it make sense, except the first few sentences.
raveninthemuddleMay 22, 2015 7:48 PM
May 23, 2015 2:43 AM
Jan 2012
AaaaaaKun said:
The relationship between Asuka and others is great stuff, I like the way they are handling it, and I never said it's bad or uninteresting. I implied it has more potential than the three main cast we are currently following but the plot line went by so fast that I can follow the logic but I barely have any emotional response other than "Yes, I get it." rather than "Oh, I know how it's feel Haruka". And now you are just putting words in my mouth, saying I misinterpret or just being plain ignorance to the relationship between Reina and Kumiko as yuri, I don't even mention their relationship once, I was just saying Kumiko is too indecisive and inactive to follow which sure she has her own personality and character but if the anime do intended this to be a drama, following Asuka or Reina is a better choice.

I dislike any discussion when one of the participator just assume other's agenda without actually focus on what kind of idea they are presenting, how funny is that you start with a polite introduction and then go full prejudice on me. Okay I got one: Really? Black coffee? I guess you are that kind of person who enjoys the cliché "Youngsters buy black coffee from vending machine to show they are emotionally troubled, therefore becoming mature?" (there's one in Nagi no Asukara FYI), you probably think it is so sophisticated and mature when it's no lazier than "character playing chess to show his is smart" IMO, maybe you are a two-dimensional anime character so you can relate to that infinitely but I'm an actual human being, I have my own thoughts.

See how it's annoying? If just to annoy me is what you intended in the first place than I think it make sense, except the first few sentences.

It's more to do with what you've written originally than your actual personality or understanding which you have elaborated here in the new post but perhaps went short of doing so in the previous one (at least it seemed so to me). Excuse me if you really felt that it was a personal attack; no, I'm not a jerk interested in annoying you on a nice Saturday at all, and I don't pretend that I am any clever or worthy than you.

If black coffee isn't a good allegory, please ignore it.

But yes this anime is a bit slow (perhaps because it needs time to introduce and develop many characters) and sorts of beats around the bush in describing the situation, so as I've mentioned, I agree with you partly. However, I guess it's this style that they (KyoAni and Hanada [not exactly my most favorite scriptwriter; Yoshida is better]) are challenging at. Which is better than having another K-On! or Tari Tari (which were enjoyable in different ways).

So perhaps Hibike Euphonium does choose watchers- it's not for everyone. People may drop this (but come on, what is there otherwise to watch this season? Danmachi? Panchira? Nisekoi 2? Etotama? Show By Rock? Oregairu?) Personally I am more interested in how this turns out.
GohanwaOkazuMay 23, 2015 3:07 AM
May 23, 2015 8:34 AM
Jul 2018
I smell trouble between Kumiko and Hazuki. Kumiko's just too weird when she's in front of Suichi but she likes him. Hazuki's gonna mi things up.
May 23, 2015 10:44 AM

Mar 2013
I really loved this episode mainly because I've been waiting long for a romance development. I feel like the dream ship of most of us here is SS Kumiko x Reina which we must accept to be just teasing or taking a little while. With that said, I will always have the Ship B - Kumiko x Shuuichi.

I'm really not a big fan of poorly-written love triangles. You know, those love triangles that don't give a fair chance to both competitors but for this incoming love triangle, i think both ships have a fair chance because of two reasons: 1) As much as I want to be wrong, although Kumiko and Shuuichi are close and are osananajimis, I feel like they only see each other as friends (FOR NOW) 2) It's obvious that Hazuki likes him and that's a plus.

I implusively ship, it's my thing. I ship quickly, predicting as fast I can, I did that for Kumiko x Shuuichi since episode one. I can't let go of a ship like that. Soooo, I'm hoping the writers of this series would be able to pull off a very good scenario that will make Kumiko x Shuuichi happen while not sucking/being cliched. Lol, pretty hard to do, but fuck it!
Roronoa Zoro is love. Roronoa Zoro is life.
May 23, 2015 2:51 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Love triangle here we come.
May 24, 2015 11:15 AM

Jun 2014
This show has gotten pretty real, I thought it would just be a moe band class
May 24, 2015 7:26 PM

Jun 2008
I keep enjoying each of the new episodes every week. Rarely are the slow. They are at a slice-of-life pace. The idea that any episode is slow is a ludicrous idea. If you find it slow, then you must be living one very exciting life that is never mundane. This is what life is about. The interaction between people.

Anyways, in this kind of situation romance should be happening. The kids are not automatons nor is this a single sex school so no romance needs to be written in. I'm all my years of band, members have gotten together and dated. It's not an usual occurrence, especially in a co-ed club.

Now, as for people saying Taki-sensei is harsh. Excepting for the fly being open (I'm hoping it was a joke), he's doing the same thing that other band instructors have done. They would work individual sections and/or individual. They would comment on the playing. Some of the conversation with Aoi should have been in private (like why she wasn't practicing/cram school). He should have just asked to see her after class.

I'm glad we got more into what happened last year with the second years.

All said, this is still, IMO, the series of the season.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

May 25, 2015 8:41 AM

Apr 2013
This anime keeps getting better and better

ReinaxKumiko when
May 25, 2015 9:48 AM

Jun 2008
Todd_ said:
Love triangle here we come.
It will be that triangle we've seen where the MC and childhood friend (chf) don't get along, then a third person comes in and wants to date the chf. This makes the MC rethink the idea of dating the chf. Aka, you want what someone else has.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

May 25, 2015 12:23 PM

Jan 2015
gsninja said:

ReinaxKumiko when

I agree. WHEN?????

May 25, 2015 9:34 PM

Jan 2008
I just saw the extended promo for tomorrow's episode and it seems Hazuki will confess to Shuuichi in this episode? It's not really clear but I could see that he was kind of blushing. I really hope there's a chance for Shuuichi/Kumiko to happen. -_-
May 26, 2015 11:09 AM

Oct 2006
gsninja said:

ReinaxKumiko when

Never. Don't take the bait.
May 26, 2015 4:33 PM

Jul 2008
I would have quit too. Not worth all that drama.

sbyrstall said:

Now, as for people saying Taki-sensei is harsh. Excepting for the fly being open (I'm hoping it was a joke), he's doing the same thing that other band instructors have done. They would work individual sections and/or individual. They would comment on the playing. Some of the conversation with Aoi should have been in private (like why she wasn't practicing/cram school). He should have just asked to see her after class.

To me, he comes across as smug. His expression seems so condescending. Even if his teaching styles are great, just the way he carries himself annoys me. lol.
May 27, 2015 9:41 AM

Dec 2012
One member left the group, interesting episode about the president. I laughed at the end.
May 27, 2015 10:41 AM

Oct 2008
Aoi quitting from the wind ensemble was unavoidable.
Club pres Ogasawara was absent after the day Aoi quits because she feels down because she thinks she isn't capable of leading the club.
Asuka is too perfect and a perfect spot on being a club pres but nobody knows whats going on her mind and also she really doesn't want to be a leader. And she also advised Ogasawara that she should have declined also being the club pres.
Hazuki is now starting her moves with regards to Shuuichi and is now asking if he and Kumiko are going out. I wonder what would be the reaction of Kumiko once she finds out that Hazuki is interested with Shuuichi...
4/5.

May 29, 2015 9:21 AM

Sep 2014
They are hinting that Asuka is not as kind as she appears.
Based on the train conversation and also that look she gave to Haruka:

I wonder what her deal is...

That was hilarious when Reina randomly appeared next to them!

Nice love triangle too, though Kumiko is seemingly oblivious, as you'd expect from her personality.
Mirai, zura~!
May 30, 2015 8:21 PM

Jul 2008
Lovely episode, can't get enough of it :D like the fact that there's romance in it as well.
Jun 5, 2015 5:28 AM
Mar 2012
Sad but Aoi's alibi got realized.
Haruka's development is nice to see, an insecure yes-girl, how she became prez because Asuka couldn't be one, and basically no one else took the post last year, so to save the broken club she took charge. It's that courage in a way.
Asuka sounded correct but insensitive that that time toward Haruka. Shuuichi's insight seems to hit the mark.
Kaori's hidden message: went to Haruka's place to tell her she's baka & emo ~ imo ~ sweet potato.
Overall the 3rd years are getting interesting with the politics.
gophercgJun 5, 2015 5:41 AM
Jun 5, 2015 5:41 PM

Jul 2014
Eugh, Kumiko/Shuuichi is a complete nOTP for me. I'm so totally down for Kumiko/Reina even if it doesn't happen, though; their interactions seem more electric. Hazuki can take Shuuichi for all I care, I just want my kumireis +w+. But Kumiko really doesn't seem all that interested in Suuichi to me; she's either just kind of indifferent towards him or just "ugh whatever," and if she randomly catches feelings just because Hazuki brings up the possibility then that's not really good writing to me. But I just don't really see any chemistry between them, and Suuichi is such a minor character in the grand scheme of things and hasn't really been fleshed out at all.

Of course I'm a gay-ass hardcore yuri fan too so obviously I'm just not going to like it in general. =/ Oh, well.

I really like this show so far, though; the pacing feels nice to me and the art and voice acting are superb. I find the major characters interesting personally, and I've always liked slower stories so it doesn't feel dragged. Although I don't find Aoi or Haruka as interesting so this episode was just kind of okay. Although I'm still drowsy from being sedated for my wisdom surgery surgery so I struggled to stay awake during the second half.

Anyway, overall, I like where this show is going. Looking forward to more =)
Jun 20, 2015 8:25 AM

Nov 2010
It's sad to see the concert band has gone through such sad conflict
Asuka is probably the most realistic member by not investing time into any of the drama

The middle persons/mediators all got burned up as a result
Jul 1, 2015 3:16 PM

May 2012
A bit of a sad episode, I do wonder if she will come back but I highly doubt it and lol that ending, I smell love :p
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

453 by Hearn »»
Apr 24, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

394 by shichirouji »»
Apr 22, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.