Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (29) « First ... « 27 28 [29]
Mar 27, 2017 11:07 AM

Apr 2013
Damn Lancer resurrected twice before he finally died. Didn't expect him to kill Kirei at all. MVP right there :3
That Shirou/Archer fight was pretty boring with too much talking imo. That fight overall seems pretty pointless to me so meh.
May 15, 2017 3:36 PM

Aug 2013
One again RIP lancer.

Shinji's running away and being humiliated by lancer was 10/10.

Jun 2, 2017 11:20 PM

Jul 2009
The fight was great, and it's good to see Shirou's past with Archer.

Lancer died honorably. At least it wasn't like the other Lancer from Fate Zero who died being betrayed by everyone.

So Kirei is finally dead/ Doubt it tbh.

Can't wait for the next episode!
Jun 16, 2017 3:11 AM
Dec 2012
Damn Shinji running away after being stabbed was hilarious!
& yeaah more Aimer <3

"Hey, that's Hell you are walking into."
Jul 10, 2017 7:44 PM

Oct 2014
Lancer, you are the best. RIP for real this time. Wish he killed Shinji though, but at least Kirei is gone.

All the talk and fighting between Archer and Shirou was good too. Loved the scene where Avalon was activated with the flashback of Shirou and Saber
Aug 14, 2017 9:09 AM

Aug 2017
RIP Lancer. So... here I am watching this... thing, without a single interesting character anymore...
Sep 25, 2017 12:31 AM

Mar 2014
RIP Kirei and Lancer

I hate how shounen this is getting, why should I care about Shirou and his ideals? He has had no actual monologues besides the typical bs of every shounen MC. He just seems like a naive boy who is refusing to accept the reality of what he's going to become because of his stubborness. Idk if this is a bad adaptation of the VN, but I am actually rooting for Archer. And that Avalon asspull was really something else. And how the hell did Archer cast UBW again if he had no mana?
Oct 14, 2017 4:16 AM

May 2016
That was so epic especially when he said I'm the bone of my sword.
Oct 20, 2017 1:24 PM

Jan 2016
Danae said:
RIP Kirei and Lancer

I hate how shounen this is getting, why should I care about Shirou and his ideals? He has had no actual monologues besides the typical bs of every shounen MC. He just seems like a naive boy who is refusing to accept the reality of what he's going to become because of his stubborness. Idk if this is a bad adaptation of the VN, but I am actually rooting for Archer. And that Avalon asspull was really something else. And how the hell did Archer cast UBW again if he had no mana?

Totally agree with this, I never liked Shirou too much but with all this I'm really rooting for Archer. Does the VN contain other stuff that makes one not hate Shirou?
Oct 20, 2017 2:51 PM

Mar 2014
Naranja128 said:
Danae said:
RIP Kirei and Lancer

Totally agree with this, I never liked Shirou too much but with all this I'm really rooting for Archer. Does the VN contain other stuff that makes one not hate Shirou?

No idea man, unfortunately I haven't read the VN yet :/
Oct 21, 2017 8:25 AM
May 2015
Danae said:
RIP Kirei and Lancer

I've read the VN, Archer casting UBW was an anime-original addition.
This episode was actually a pretty great adaptation of the VN, but the anime as a whole doesn't compare to the VN route at all. I'd give the anime a 7.5/10, while I'd give the VN route a 9.5/10.

And either the anime didn't address this clearly enough, or you didn't pay attention enough (I haven't watched the episode in a long time, but I do remember this.) He's not refusing to accept the reality of what he's going to become. He's not anything like the typical shounen MC. He knows that the path that he's going down is absurd and possibly contradictory. He's not just disregarding anything Archer says, stubbornly saying that he is going to become a superhero. He literally monologues after being beat up mentally and physically by Archer, "Most of what he said was right." He's even scared to go down this path. However, this is the only path for Shirou to go down, and the following is where the anime messed up in portraying Shirou's character.

Shirou is a deconstruction of the generic shonen hero, in that he is essentially an empty husk of a person who only derives happiness from helping others. Most of his smiles are feigned. He's closer to a machine than anything, and this is addressed in great depth in the novel. In the Fuyuki Fire, whoever Shirou was before that fire resolved himself to die, realizing that no one would come to rescue him, and became empty at that moment (the literal meaning of "dying inside. There was nothing left of the trace of the person that he used to be.) When Shirou saw Kiritsugu overjoyed that he had found a survivor in the fire, that was the only emotion "Shirou" knew of, as he was empty prior to that. The emotion of joy at saving others. In the Fate series (and other series written by the Fate series creator,) there exists a concept called an "origin." Shirou's origin is sword," something meant to protect others.

Regarding the Avalon "asspull," I can understand why it seems like one, since it wasn't addressed in the UBW anime beforehand. It was explained in the Fate (first route) route of the VN, but the anime should have found a way to mention it so it wouldn't seem like it came out of left field.
Oct 22, 2017 2:44 AM
Jun 2015
Tylaen said:
Alter_A said:

Ah, opinions. Wonderful opinions.
They're like assholes. Everybody has them.
And like assholes, sometimes they can be full of shit.

That'd be yours, then.

And yours, as well. But thank for the reminder, Captain Obvious.
Oct 22, 2017 10:33 AM

Apr 2015
Alter_A said:
Tylaen said:

That'd be yours, then.

Someone is flaming red in their hole, quoting me two years after the relevancy of my post.
Oct 28, 2017 10:04 PM
Jun 2015
Tylaen said:
Alter_A said:

Someone is flaming red in their hole, quoting me two years after the relevancy of my post.

Nah. I just don't go on this site frequently.
But sure, I'm "flaming red" right now. Nice assumption.
Feb 20, 2018 11:39 PM

Mar 2016
Lol when Shinji escape. And "Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right", so inspiring. This is the best episode, 10/10 for me.
Sep 17, 2018 2:54 AM

Sep 2014
Dat build up for the last moments though. Basically, that was the whole EP lol

Conclusion next?
Dec 10, 2018 2:48 AM
Jan 2017
no i see,, the one who responsibility for the ancident 10 years ago, is saber who cut the holy grail and gilgamesh manage to survive and can keep exist until now,,
Dec 10, 2018 3:05 AM
Jan 2017
holy grail is the gate to open hell huh,, its intersting and suprised fact i have here,, its can danger the world its seem like time machine in steins gate,, that thing unable to exist in the world
Feb 2, 2019 4:23 PM
Sep 2009
I just don't get the point of Shirou's arc. He clearly sees that his believes are wrong and don't lead anywhere good and yet he still dumbly follows them without even attempting to change anything... idiocy at its max.

Saber really needs to tell Shirou that Kiritsugu is responsible for that explosion. Two clear examples of how "having best intentions" is not always great and he needs to re-think his actions.
Mar 24, 2019 9:59 AM
Aug 2018
What was that about the heart and the vessel? I can't recall that they properly explained that so far.

Gilgamesh also plucked Illyasviels heart out, saying something about that this was the grail? Was that the lesser grail that Caster was looking for in the church?

They said that the holy grail was something spiritual, so he needs a vessel to create that thing or something?

And now the priest is dead and we never learned about his true motivations..
tr25a3Mar 24, 2019 10:43 AM
Mar 24, 2019 1:07 PM

Oct 2014
tr25a3 said:
What was that about the heart and the vessel? I can't recall that they properly explained that so far.
Gilgamesh also plucked Illyasviels heart out, saying something about that this was the grail?

there's a "Lesser Grail" and a "Greater Grail" in the fuyuki grail wars. illya's heart is the Lesser Grail, and it's a vessel that connects to the Greater Grail.

revealing any more than that could involve spoilers for the HF route of the VN, so I'll stop there.
tr25a3 said:
Was that the lesser grail that Caster was looking for in the church?

yes, she thought that the Church would have the lesser grail in their possession.
tr25a3 said:
And now the priest is dead and we never learned about his true motivations..

each FSN route focuses on different characters, a character without much screen time in one route might have a bigger role in a different route. take Sakura for example, she's irrelevant in UBW, but the main heroine of HF route.
May 8, 2019 3:54 PM

Sep 2014
I have to say I liked it so far but Archers constant monologuing is getting very cringy right now.
His entire point seems to be saving others is useless because you cant save everyone. How is that something worth going on and on about?

Oh and Kirei is apparently dead for real this time. He continues to be a bland and boring antagonist.

I noticed this in Zero as well, but giving a satisfying conclusion isnt really a key strength of fate
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 17, 2019 8:10 AM

Dec 2018
Archer: If clinging to that dream is all you live for, let it drag you down and drown you!
Me: Then, why TF you interfere with his life ?

"Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right!" Quote of the day. I guess the translator kept the tradition.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Jun 19, 2019 3:30 AM

Mar 2018
Comander-07 said:
Oh and Kirei is apparently dead for real this time. He continues to be a bland and boring antagonist.

But at least he has the cool voice of Nakata Jouji. So he has that going for him, which is nice.
Jun 19, 2019 9:17 AM

Sep 2014
SpectrumDT said:
Comander-07 said:

But at least he has the cool voice of Nakata Jouji. So he has that going for him, which is nice.
having a badass voice and doing nothing makes it worse for me.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 11, 2019 9:23 AM

Aug 2017
Lancer killed Kirei and beat Shinji like a boss lol.

It seems that Archer vs Shirou ends in the next episode, I guess.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 29, 2019 3:14 AM

Dec 2014
ok like wow hmm... the fights and the story keeps raging on... I kinda like archer now.... but it seems he will die too
Mar 24, 2020 3:46 AM

Nov 2018
really enjoyed this episode, probably one of the better ones of this season of UBW

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
May 19, 2020 11:51 PM

Apr 2020
I'm really glad that I watched F/Z first. Kirei is really annoying, irritating me. I keep muttering while watching him discussing with Rin. I'm so glad that he was killed. I literally laughed! 5/5! Go to hell, Kirei!
Dec 19, 2020 7:27 PM

Apr 2018
The Shirou vs Archer fight was good I can see what Archer means but Shirou is determined to change that.

I wish Lancer lived instead of dying to Kirei. It was good to see Lancer back for one last time before he fades away...
Dec 22, 2020 12:23 PM

Jul 2019
Yeah that was a great episode. Archer forgot one thing. He actually succedeed.
Dec 25, 2020 4:41 PM
Apr 2019
What a brilliant adaptation, the performances are incredible, and as someone who read the VN to completion, my experience knowing what happens and seeing it unfold in beautiful budget works is great! I think Ufotable did an absolutely brilliant job with this adaptation working alongside Type-Moon and pulling off the story that is Fate Stay/Night with the short 22 minute episodes that they’re allowed. Just a great experience overall.
Aug 1, 2021 6:56 AM
Jul 2021
Damn that was a good episode. Great fight scenes as usual, Lancer saving Rin was awesome and I hate how he died. Cu Cullain 4ever :(

I like Emiya's character that he knows he's wrong, but he has to continue along his path. He's both flawed and principled at the same time.
Aug 23, 2021 2:37 PM

Jan 2015
Lancer's so cool.
Did yell "NO!" when I saw Kirei get killed, haha. Shinji's such a piece of shit person but it's always funny watching him pathetically run away.
Really cool fight, last episode had nice music but the music here was incredible. Feels like the episode they were saving the budget for, enjoyed it a lot, especially the Shirou vs. Archer parts.
Sep 3, 2021 1:52 AM

Apr 2020
god, anime fans are to stupid for fate UBW, they need EVERYTHING explained and spoonfed to them, its like critical thinking doesnt matter anymore because "oH iM to StUpId tO uNdErStAnD anyTHiNg".
Oct 23, 2021 2:02 PM
Aug 2017
Lancer is really a good guy. He disobeyed Kirei's orders to kill Rin and he stopped Shinji (why tf did he not kill him though). Lancer then killed Kirei to save Rin just as he said he would. I wish Lancer became Rin's servant, he's my favourite servant.

Before Lancer dies he takes Kirei with him in a fire. Rin says she wishes she got to know Lancer more. Lancer - "silly girl come find me again when you're older"

OST crazy good.

But fucks sake Shirou really wants to become Archer and the shitty hero of justice even after seeing what fate awaits him. Fucking hell can someone just kill Shirou already FFS.
Oct 23, 2021 10:41 PM

Sep 2018
DeltaF-x said:
god, anime fans are to stupid for fate UBW, they need EVERYTHING explained and spoonfed to them, its like critical thinking doesnt matter anymore because "oH iM to StUpId tO uNdErStAnD anyTHiNg".

You don't even want to know how bad it was in 2014-2015 for the community. Zero opening the floodgates for secondaries and the average normalf@ggot in '11 marked the beginning of the end for the western type-moon fanbase as fans of a niche, comfy, and self-contained ip.
westrayfurtherOct 23, 2021 10:44 PM
Oct 24, 2021 5:37 PM

Apr 2020
We should
westrayfurther said:
DeltaF-x said:

You don't even want to know how bad it was in 2014-2015 for the community. Zero opening the floodgates for secondaries and the average normalf@ggot in '11 marked the beginning of the end for the western type-moon fanbase as fans of a niche, comfy, and self-contained ip.

finally, someone gets it. my discord is DeltaF(x)#9273
If you have time, I'd like to discuss this more with you. Clearly the mods on MAL hate it when you praise FSN but trash on Zero, I got warnings for counter arguing people civilly. This silly charade by the zero secondaries give me headaches. pre-2011 was type-moon's best years.
Jan 7, 2022 9:02 PM
Aug 2021
to be honest, i didnt know the vn readers at first, so i will speak using my opinion, this episode is absolute good, the song, the emotion is completely marked, i teared a bit, for emiya backstory, but after playing fgo i realized 2 things, why emiya used ubw since its drained his mana and servant is supposedly more powerful, basically ufotable didnt count them, but wise i like this, here a tips for me, dont see people opinion, its a free state, this episode is absolutely best for me
May 24, 2022 9:54 PM
Apr 2020
UfoGOAT
AimerGOAT
VN purist trash
Thats all
Jun 19, 2022 3:08 PM
Nov 2020
"Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right"- Shirou.
Bro wut?
Aug 11, 2022 11:39 AM

Aug 2018
All this talking only reinforces the fact that nobody has anything interesting to say.
Mar 4, 2023 12:58 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Hey, that's hell you're walking into.

You know what, well done ufotable. This actually hit hard. Did it do the visual novel justice, did it change it up entirely? I have no idea. I can only see what we got here, and what we got, I think was pretty damn good. The reveal of the scabbard that linked Shirou with Saber this entire time was awesome. Don't ask me what the technicalities are, but I'd like to think that it activated within him as a vows to become this champion of justice, no matter what, which is what Saber has always strived to be all this time as well.

And just when I thought when fate stay night Lancer has tied the same tragic death as fate zero Lancer, turns out he's still alive and kicking with just enough juice in him to save Rin TWICE, before finally giving it his all. Heck yeah. That's a way better way to go.

I know that the focus is on on Archer and Shirou, but I just have a small complaint about these side-character deaths. Ilyasviel and Berserker? Great episode. My 2nd favourite after this one probably. But what did they do exactly, other than having two fights and dying? What do they add to the story? They're not even the real issue for me: for that lies with our friend Kirei Kotomine here. I think anyone who watches fate zero will find Kirei to be a well established character, still alive by the end of it, and probably will be an integral character in the routes that come after it. Now I wish that were the case, but other than being the overseer and coming up with some mischief himself like joining the holy grail war with Lancer, what does HE do in this story? What impact does he have? I thought he was going to try and manifest the grail this time around? But no, he was kind of just, there, this whole time, before just dying out of nowhere. Do they just want him out of the way for this route because again, the focus is on Archer and Shirou? I just wanted more. No matter who they are, I would've like every master and servant to have impacted the story in a significant way, and should they die, be given a proper send-off, even for the dick characters. 

Anyway, best episode yet. Idc what visual novel readers think. This episode has actually made me appreciate UBW when most of the time I was close to disliking it. It is now carrying weight of similar level to that of fate zero.
BetaMaleUltraMar 4, 2023 1:13 AM

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 2, 2023 12:13 PM

Dec 2018
i still can't tell if archer is trying to mentor him or seriously trying to kill him. maybe both? anyways he found his resolve oh and rip in pepperoni my dude lancer. such a cool guy.
May 2, 2023 3:06 PM
May 2020
Masterclass, amazing reveal of the idedntity of Archer!
Aug 14, 2023 8:51 PM
Jul 2023
It has its problems, but this is my favourite so far.
- Wow Kerei I loved you but why the hell would you touch Rin like that? Frickin gross just as bad as Shinji
- LETS GO LANCER YOU CHAD
- Goodbye to Kerei for this series I guess
- Shinji tries again…
- Lmao it was so funny when he stabbed Shinji and he pissed off
- Archer casted UBW? Why lol all they did was talk for most of it what a waste of mana
- Why wouldn’t they kill Shinji…. He has the most powerful servant…. Stupid
- Rin should have made a pact with Lancer, Kerei was dead
- Shirou decides he doesn’t care if he becomes Archer. Nice!
- I loved that imagery of him and Archer watching Kerei save him
- “I saw hell I saw hell I saw hell” gave me chills
- He realised Kiritsugu put Avalon in him! This will be neat
- WHATEVER THAT ENDING FIGHT OST WAS WAS SICK OMG
- This is about to be the coolest fight ever
Jan 31, 4:14 AM
Mar 2023
-"¿Continuarás aunque tu vida sea mecánica, aunque sea una vida llena de hipocresía?"

+"Sí"
Feb 2, 5:19 AM

Dec 2022
Lmao Kirei get rekt by Lancer's final chad move before dusting away and Shinji being a lovable coward.
UBW Archer was very epic though + Shirou rlly showed he's one of the mcs of all time.

Mar 29, 9:40 AM

Jun 2011
Only 2 minutes into the episode, I gotta be here to celebrate this huge Lancer W.

Just finished the episode, this isn't just a Lancer W but also huge W for Emiya Shirou's character. Best episode so far from Deen's FSN to UBW. PEAK. This is what I've always wanted from Shirou's character since the Deen's route adaptation. Easily a 5/5 episode.
ToG25thBaamMar 29, 10:03 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (29) « First ... « 27 28 [29]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1557 by Swatheesh123 »»
Apr 9, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 13, 2015

1574 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 9, 2015

1316 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:35 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1282 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 16, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 20, 2015

1400 by yashoshi69 »»
Feb 7, 6:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.