New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 1, 2015 7:02 AM

Sep 2013
thereisonlyone said:
Immahnoob watch this
Put it in me
Put it in they
^ y'see how that doesn't work - for that very reason (in which) was chosen to show that arguments are nothing more than individuals self-serving themselves

I'm not trying to serve a point - I'm teaching you that definitions weren't chosen at random (every word was chosen & placed in order to set a specific meaning
If the dictionary you use isn't providing information suitable for helping you understand (you may want to switch)
Certainly, synonyms are the same but they all have minor differences. It's like calling the balcony at cheap hotel, a mezzanine.

Your, Welcome

The dictionary is racist and so is using dictionary definitions to support your argument. Please abstain from racism and become a better human being.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
May 1, 2015 7:11 AM

Dec 2013
Some people do it for fun while others want to see other peoples perspective on things.
May 1, 2015 7:22 AM

Jun 2014
yaiba064 said:
Immahnoob said:
You'd provide a better argument if you'd fucking make sense.

It doesn't need to if it's magic.

Such is the path for a hero of justice.
May 1, 2015 7:26 AM

Feb 2015
damastah said:
yaiba064 said:

It doesn't need to if it's magic.

you are still trying to derail it into FSN thread.Don't lose hope one day you will succeed.
May 1, 2015 7:26 AM

Nov 2014
Imma use magic as an excuse from now on if people don't get my point.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

May 1, 2015 7:27 AM

Jun 2014
chat77 said:
damastah said:

you are still trying to derail it into FSN thread.Don't lose hope one day you will succeed.

My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works. :P
May 1, 2015 10:18 AM

Apr 2015
Immahnoob said:
Just take the merriam definition and you're done.
Debate:
": a discussion between people in which they express different opinions about something"

Argument:
": a discussion in which people express different opinions about something"

I think the difference lies not in the technical definition, but how people use the words. Yes, an argument and a debate can be the same thing, and arguments are used in debates, but people often use the words differently.

For example, if two people are screaming at each other over some sort of disagreement, people would be more likely to say they are arguing about something rather than debating.
May 1, 2015 10:23 AM

Oct 2014
There's a lot of things you can learn online if you talk to the right people. If you talk with a bunch of people who don't really know much or haven't devoted themselves to learning about the topic, then yeah it's probably not going to be fruitful.

On the other hand, there are a variety of informed users on every community and if you find the right group of people for you, you're bound to learn something.
May 1, 2015 11:13 AM

Apr 2012
highspot said:
Immahnoob said:
Just take the merriam definition and you're done.
Debate:
": a discussion between people in which they express different opinions about something"

Argument:
": a discussion in which people express different opinions about something"

I think the difference lies not in the technical definition, but how people use the words. Yes, an argument and a debate can be the same thing, and arguments are used in debates, but people often use the words differently.

For example, if two people are screaming at each other over some sort of disagreement, people would be more likely to say they are arguing about something rather than debating.
That's not my issue.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
May 1, 2015 11:36 AM

Nov 2014
masterofgo said:
There's a lot of things you can learn online if you talk to the right people. If you talk with a bunch of people who don't really know much or haven't devoted themselves to learning about the topic, then yeah it's probably not going to be fruitful.

On the other hand, there are a variety of informed users on every community and if you find the right group of people for you, you're bound to learn something.

Learning by arguing? What kind of sorcery is this?

It can happen, but the chance is small. Once you're actively engaged in arguing, your mind shuts to any reasoning that doesn't form part of or flow well with your own, if a sensible persons was doing the arguing, he would realise, not at that moment, but only later, when he re read all what had been said, that he might actually had some flaws.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

May 1, 2015 11:57 AM

Apr 2008
So they know they're wrong and why they are wrong. Also, it's a chance to educate an idiot.
May 1, 2015 11:59 AM

Oct 2014
yaiba064 said:

It can happen, but the chance is small. Once you're actively engaged in arguing, your mind shuts to any reasoning that doesn't form part of or flow well with your own, if a sensible persons was doing the arguing, he would realise, not at that moment, but only later, when he re read all what had been said, that he might actually had some flaws.
I disagree. I think as long as you keep an open mind you stand to learn a lot of different things. They may not be super substantive or deep or life changing, but I don't think anyone expects that almost anywhere save for the most prestigious of universities, intellectual circles, and parties for the intelligentsia.

Standard discourse can be revealing in more ways than one. I don't actively participate/engage in it, but I think there's more value than people give it credit for.
May 1, 2015 12:05 PM

Nov 2014
masterofgo said:
yaiba064 said:

I disagree. I think as long as you keep an open mind you stand to learn a lot of different things. They may not be super substantive or deep or life changing, but I don't think anyone expects that almost anywhere save for the most prestigious of universities, intellectual circles, and parties for the intelligentsia.

Standard discourse can be revealing in more ways than one. I don't actively participate/engage in it, but I think there's more value than people give it credit for.

What you said is true. But discourse is not the same as argument. It has the meaning in Latin but the way the persons wrote discourses suggested more like a lecture, or a teaching. Foucault presents possibly the best definition of discourse. He says, “Systems of thoughts composed of ideas, attitudes, and courses of action, beliefs and practices that systematically construct the subjects and the worlds of which they speak.” I have read several discourses, and this is true.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

May 1, 2015 12:05 PM

Oct 2014
Such Foucault. Is that from his "What is an Author" essay?
May 1, 2015 12:11 PM

Nov 2014
Michel Foucault, The Discourse on Language, 1972, appendix to Archaeology of Knowledge.
HomepageMay 1, 2015 12:15 PM
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

May 1, 2015 12:12 PM

Oct 2014
yaiba064 said:
Michel Foucault, The Discourse on Language, 1972, appendix to Archaeology to Knowledge.
Gotcha. I haven't read much of Foucault, but that line sounded so familiar so I assumed it was from one of the essays I had read from him. @_@

Anyway, thx, maybe I'll look into it.
May 1, 2015 12:17 PM

Apr 2012
Argument can do that as well though.

Autocrat said:
May 1, 2015 12:17 PM

Nov 2014
masterofgo said:
yaiba064 said:

Michel Foucault, The Discourse on Language, 1972, appendix to Archaeology to Knowledge.Gotcha. I haven't read much of Foucault, but that line sounded so familiar so I assumed it was from one of the essays I had read from him. @_@

Anyway, thx, maybe I'll look into it.

I am in no better position than you. I've only read History of Madness from him, so, yeah. xD
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

May 1, 2015 12:21 PM

Oct 2014
Immahnoob said:
A lot of my political opinions and thoughts on anime and manga and other things have been tested and changed and shaped by the arguments I have with other people. I certainly think you're right.
May 1, 2015 1:48 PM

Apr 2012
masterofgo said:
Immahnoob said:
A lot of my political opinions and thoughts on anime and manga and other things have been tested and changed and shaped by the arguments I have with other people. I certainly think you're right.
I'm pretty sure that most people are not stubborn. And even if they are, if they engage in debate, they can change their stance if you provide reasons and sources.

I'm pretty optimistic about it though, it's not like I have a source for this.

Autocrat said:
May 1, 2015 2:10 PM

Aug 2009
Properly relaying your opinion and trying to show people different perspectives.

Or trolling, that works too.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 1, 2015 4:19 PM

Nov 2014
Wyzdm said:
yaiba064 said:
Even in real life, there is little chance one can persuade others that their view is more rooted in logic, has more legitimacy than others'.

Only if you're arguing with a fucking retard or you don't know how to make a convincing argument

You can look at any legal arguments between positivism and realism. There is my proof. It is hard to change one's opinion, that's all there is.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

May 1, 2015 4:28 PM

Apr 2012
yaiba064 said:
Wyzdm said:

Only if you're arguing with a fucking retard or you don't know how to make a convincing argument

You can look at any legal arguments between positivism and realism. There is my proof. It is hard to change one's opinion, that's all there is.

Autocrat said:
May 1, 2015 5:50 PM

Apr 2015
Immahnoob said:
[That's not my issue.

Then what is your issue? You said the words are synonyms, I gave explanations why they are used differently. How have I missed the issue?
May 1, 2015 8:16 PM

Nov 2010
There is no point at all.
May 1, 2015 8:21 PM

Mar 2014
No point, really. Lol.
May 1, 2015 8:48 PM

Mar 2012
To learn and, hopefully, to help others learn. Online debates have caused me to reconsider my positions countless times. Yes, people are stubborn; yes, sometimes I concede less than I should — but, ultimately, I do make concessions and change/tweak my positions accordingly.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 1, 2015 9:40 PM

Feb 2015
1unarsage said:
"What is the point of debate/arguing online?"
Nobody listens so.
To waste time and laugh at the idiots.

I've received occasional supportive PM's from different people about some of the arguments I've had on this site who clearly cared enough to read them. That's makes it feel worthwhile for me. Sometimes online communities lack an opposing voice on certain issues, so I'm happy to step in and fill that void if I feel strongly about it.

I mainly argue for fun though (like most other people). It's a bit like a game of chess, except the moves are phrases and the pieces are arguments (which you have 'positions' on) . . and you're often playing against an opponent that doesn't know how to read more than one move ahead. Actually not because they're stupid; the nature of the game is simply more unpredictable.
Also you can't see half the pieces on the board until you scout them out.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
May 1, 2015 11:29 PM

Apr 2014
YorKeY said:
MOST of the time, you don't learn ANYTHING in arguments, ESPECIALLY on the internet, so fuck everyone saying that "it will broaden their horizons" no, just no.

It depends on your personality and more so on that of your opponent, really. Most of the time though all you learn from the whole process is that the other side is an utter idiot. Especially on the internet. Learning the fact that there’re even more idiots than you initially thought broadens your horizons, right? Right? Well, maybe not, ugh, maybe not that much. However, if your opponent succeeds in proving the fact that you’re the one who is wrong through convincing argumentation, you either may consider it a great chance to learn something new or just flip the table and commit seppuku.
Immahnoob said:
Nothing in life has a point.

So claiming that debating has no point is a moot point.

That statement of yours definitely has a point I dare say. Now I have a complicated feeling.
May 1, 2015 11:33 PM

Jun 2014
7starkiller99 said:
Sureeee.

Check the previous page, it was YorKey who actually said the original quote pffft.
May 1, 2015 11:33 PM

Apr 2012
highspot said:
Immahnoob said:
[That's not my issue.

Then what is your issue? You said the words are synonyms, I gave explanations why they are used differently. How have I missed the issue?
Because the OP stated he uses them the same way?
Kyonin said:
That statement of yours definitely has a point I dare say. Now I have a complicated feeling.
Well, I can always help you with the equivocations.

Autocrat said:
May 1, 2015 11:47 PM

Oct 2012
thereisonlyone said:
Immahnoob watch this
Put it in me
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 1, 2015 11:56 PM

Apr 2015
no other reason except for the glory of satan.

Hi
May 1, 2015 11:57 PM

Jun 2014
Aeldrian said:
no other reason except for the glory of yuetsu because f*** satan and the others.

FTFY~
May 1, 2015 11:57 PM

Apr 2012
katsucats said:
thereisonlyone said:
Immahnoob watch this
Put it in me
I never knew this would be relevant.

Autocrat said:
May 2, 2015 12:00 AM

Jun 2014
Immahnoob said:
katsucats said:

I'm gonna hafta tell Steve and Worm to patent our images soon lol
May 2, 2015 12:00 AM

Apr 2012
damastah said:
Immahnoob said:

I'm gonna hafta tell Steve and Worm to patent our images soon lol
His face, man. His face is priceless.

Autocrat said:
May 2, 2015 12:03 AM

Jun 2014
Immahnoob said:
His face, man. His face is priceless.

Yes Tokiomi Tohsaka is one heck of a man.
May 2, 2015 1:01 AM

Jun 2012
just wow that IMG is perfect (you people are good for some laughs now and then)
-much appreciated-
How long will it last
May 2, 2015 1:07 AM

Jun 2014
thereisonlyone said:
-much appreciated-

Join Type-YUETSU and rejoice.

Aug 2013
Immahnoob said:
highspot said:

That's not my issue.

It's just a matter of having different connotations. They denote the same thing but connote different things. An argument connotes conflict whilst a debate connotes respectable discussions. Thus the point in there being two different words that denote the same thing lies there.

Mar 2014
Aggravating other people.
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
May 2, 2015 1:11 AM

Apr 2012
Autocrat said:
Immahnoob said:
That's not my issue.

It's just a matter of having different connotations. They denote the same thing but connote different things. An argument connotes conflict whilst a debate connotes respectable discussions. Thus the point in there being two different words that denote the same thing lies there.
But you seem to not have noticed my latest reply.

What you mentioned are part of the definitions, but they're not necessary and are not the only adjectives.

Autocrat said:
May 2, 2015 1:22 AM

Apr 2014
Immahnoob said:
Kyonin said:
Well, I can always help you with the equivocations.

Why, thank you. I'll probably take you up on that offer some time later then.
May 3, 2015 5:36 PM

Apr 2015
Immahnoob said:
Because the OP stated he uses them the same way?

But the point was brought up about tiptoeing around "argue" and using "debate" instead (which the OP commented on), you gave technical definitions and said that's the end, I explained that people use them differently regardless of what one dictionary says. I guess I just don't understand why you're debating (or arguing) the point. It seems like you're just doing it for the sake of it.
May 3, 2015 5:38 PM

Apr 2012
highspot said:
But the point was brought up about tiptoeing around "argue" and using "debate" instead (which the OP commented on), you gave technical definitions and said that's the end, I explained that people use them differently regardless of what one dictionary says.
Woah, people use terms with different definitions by using other definitions, mothafuckas!

No, that's not always true, and I said that it is the case of OP, which is why it is the end.

Autocrat said:
May 3, 2015 5:39 PM

Aug 2012
Because it's fun, why else?
May 3, 2015 5:42 PM

Oct 2013
There isn't a point. It's just the thought that counts.
May 3, 2015 6:07 PM

Jun 2014
damastah said:
thereisonlyone said:
-much appreciated-

Join Type-YUETSU and rejoice.

Lol;

Damastah are you ever on your forummmm?/???
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

74 by Zefyris »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

22 by UncreatedSong »»
56 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

27 by Astachanna »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 9 hours ago

15 by RyuRabbit »»
2 hours ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

19 by Deyuko »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.