Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 27, 2015 1:43 PM

Oct 2013
2 main reasons:

1. Mainstream anime is generally not targeted at me (or my demographic) so its generally miss over hit.
2. A lot of people who watch only mainstream stream anime feel like they can make bold, uneducated comments about other shows, or anime in general. (ie. this copied Naruto, Naruto is the best show ever, anime always have characters with blonde hair as the protagonist). So this generates a lot of hate towards the mainstream show these people watch
Mar 27, 2015 1:45 PM

Feb 2015
Because they are pretentious hipsters that ruin the spirit of watching anime.
Mar 27, 2015 1:54 PM

Dec 2012
because i'm a hipster who hates people and all popular stuff duh
Mar 27, 2015 2:36 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
They're usually hypocrites. 'I hate mainstream anime', but then they have One Piece in theur favs.
Mar 27, 2015 3:03 PM

Nov 2014
I don't think people merely hate things just because they're mainstream. I think most of the time some people just genuinely can't get into the hype of a certain show and sometimes it's just the way they project themselves that rubs people the wrong way. Can't blame them for not being able to get into a show. But I see where you're coming from OP. I have a feeling the hate they give off sometimes though is a little misplaced. Again, I don't think it's merely just because something is mainstream. Now me, I like to give a fair chance to the shows I watch. There are times when I genuinely could not really enjoy a few popular shows. (Sword Art Online, Future Diary) And there are times when I've really enjoyed them. (Attack on Titan, Code Geass)
TheDerpManMar 27, 2015 3:09 PM
Mar 27, 2015 3:08 PM

Jan 2013
Us guys, amirite?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Mar 27, 2015 3:11 PM

Dec 2012
This is too much of a blanket statement. Sometimes mainstream anime is good, meaning a good show gets good attention.
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?

Dec 2012
ichii_1 said:
tsudecimo said:
Toriko is not popular by normal standards, let alone mainstream, outside of Japan.

You say mainstream but it's not like fairy tail and the like is that high selling either in the west or been on toonami.
And toriko shouldn't be too far off from it, based on common sense and word of mouth (yes that counts since bigger fanbase online correlates to sales)

Yes they are. Fairy Tail is the 3rd most popular manga in France, after One Piece and Naruto.

It has 339,436 members on MAL, compared to Toriko's 34,124 members. It's a very popular shounen.

No, that's not common sense, all of your 'prove' or anything that leads you to conclusion is baseless. If we are going by word of mouth and random observation, then Toriko doesn't seem popular based on those either, be it on shounentard sites, with casuals, etc. One thing I noticed is that, it's fans are delusional and hungry for it to be recognized, by saying it's better than the big 3 and the likes.

Online fanbases have no relevance at all for actual sales. Most people online, only bitch and fanboy, they do not buy anything. Manga that doesn't seem have that a big online fanbase like Nanatsu no Taizai, sell very good on France, or AssClass in NY Times.

This really isn't opinion based, Toriko is not popular outside of Japan, and for obvious reasons.

Jan 2015
I love a lot of them :)
Mar 27, 2015 3:13 PM

Nov 2014
I don't hate the Anime, I hate the toxic fanbase.
Mar 27, 2015 3:16 PM
Aug 2010
I think a fair number of people are just tired of the constant praise of certain shows that they don't particularly like and are maybe more vocal about their distaste for the to be heard over the loud fanbases. I still can't understand why anyone would dislike an anime solely because it is popular.
まぁ、全部嘘だけどね。
Mar 27, 2015 3:18 PM

Nov 2014
because potatoes can fly
Mar 27, 2015 3:20 PM

May 2012
Fanbases for mainstream anime are usually cancerous in my experience.
Mar 27, 2015 3:27 PM

Aug 2014
AOT was pretty good TBH. SAO on the other hand

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 27, 2015 3:33 PM

Dec 2012
black1blade said:

And it's good TBH
Mar 27, 2015 3:35 PM

Aug 2014
What's wrong with the mainstream animes?
It's too chuuni? Cliche? Over the top? I don't see anything wrong with those at all..

Some of them are really good though, and some are.. well.. decent? Bad?

Owh btw, I didn't even know SAO considered as a mainstream anime lol
Mar 27, 2015 3:35 PM

May 2012
tsudecimo said:
black1blade said:

And it's good TBH

Explain.
Mar 27, 2015 3:36 PM

Dec 2012
PoeticJustice said:
tsudecimo said:

And it's good TBH

Explain.

I don't think it's worth it.
Mar 27, 2015 3:38 PM

Aug 2014
i kinda started to dislike snk because i got sick of hearing how people thought it was the best thing ever and kids at school wearing attack on titan bags and it just was in my face wherever i went.
Mar 27, 2015 3:42 PM

Dec 2012
Greedling123 said:
i kinda started to dislike snk because i got sick of hearing how people thought it was the best thing ever and kids at school wearing attack on titan bags and it just was in my face wherever i went.

Feels like I've read something similar with Naruto, just replace bags with headbands :o
Mar 27, 2015 3:48 PM

Apr 2013
They usually have super terrible fan bases and are aimed to get as many people to watch it as possible, so they're full of cliche's and lack of character depth or any real development (You can't jam all your character development into one episode SNK cough cough)
Mar 27, 2015 3:52 PM

Mar 2015
I don't hate mainstream shows(I tend to like most of them),but what I really hate is when people assume I do,because I like other shows more and don't care much about the latest shit or don't rate it 10/10.
Last year was especially painful when some friends started talking about what a masterpiece AkG is.
Mar 27, 2015 3:53 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
This probably is bad generalization here, but any anime list that I see where someone rate lowly of all the mainstream/popular anime, and I'm not talking about fmab or cowboy bebop, which are one of the few mainstream anime that if you score highly wont damage your elitist image. I'm talking about the naruto, snk, sao, code geass ect. I'm going to think of that user as a pretender, faker ect. even if you genuinely for some reason don't like any popular anime. I'm going to put you all in one category.

if you see someone rate for eg. naruto a high score, but also watches shows like legend of the galactic heroes or some other series people call elitist shows, I will more believe this list is legit, and not some list made to look cool. why? because by giving naruto a high score would damage his elitist image, which most of the fakes/ pretenders wouldn't dare to do.

Yes, this is bad generalization, but that's how I look at it, I just find it hard to believe that people can't even like even 1 mainstream series. oh, most of the list I saw that are like that feels like some copy paste of all the pretenders. Those list are pretty generic and easy to make.

+1
Mar 27, 2015 4:25 PM

Mar 2014
Well I don't. There are still some good shows that are 'mainstream'.
Mar 27, 2015 6:15 PM

Mar 2015
Depends on a number of factors. I was watching Naruto around episode 130-ish (save Sasuke arc) when my friends started watching the english dub which was at the time in the first season somewheres. They were talking about how bad the anime was because of the voices, and I had been telling them for a while the series was great. They refuse to read subtitles though, so they wouldn't even give it a chance.

I also hate extremely over-hyped anime. I saw Kill La Kill before my friends had ever heard of it, and of course they heard of it through Adult Swim. Since they're watching it, they claim it's the savior of anime. It was average. Same thing happened with Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online. They were good, but they really weren't all that great. I wouldn't say they were staples in anime like Fist of the North Star was during it's time, or Code Geass, which people are STILL talking about. Attack on Titan would be a lot better if there was a foreseeable ending coming. With the manga only progressing by one chapter a month, a second season is so far off.

Outside of that, I really don't hate mainstream anime. There's tons of good anime out there, and I feel like sometimes people don't want to try new anime, and stay with the safe stuff that gets good ratings. How do you know if you'll like something else if you don't try it. I've seen a lot of terrible anime, but with all the terrible ones, every so often I find a rare gem to show some of my more open minded friends, that they love immensely.

TL;DR? A bad dub, or over-hyping will make me hate an anime. ANY anime. Be more open-minded and break out of the mainstream box though, because there's some really good anime out there that gets no attention.

Mar 27, 2015 6:18 PM

Dec 2014
I dont really hate mainstream anime, just its too long and that discourages me

Mar 27, 2015 7:36 PM

Apr 2013
I hate all kinds of anime regardless of popularity
Mar 27, 2015 8:13 PM

Mar 2013
Some mainstream anime are good like death note (par the ending). Some are overrated pile of crap though like tokyo ghoul/sword art online.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (with 438,965 members on MAL alone) is #1 for example.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Mar 27, 2015 8:19 PM
Mar 2011
EvenJellyOn said:
Some mainstream anime are good like death note (par the ending). Some are overrated pile of crap though like tokyo ghoul/sword art online.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (with 438,965 members on MAL alone) is #1 for example.

SAO mainstream no just no
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 27, 2015 8:24 PM

Jul 2011
It's more popular that my favourite obscure cartoon, so it must be shit.
Mar 27, 2015 8:26 PM

Sep 2012
Nothing can be mainstream if the majority of people aren't fans of it.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about OP.
Mar 27, 2015 8:26 PM
Dec 2014
Praland said:

Hey, you wanna go, bro?!!
Mar 27, 2015 8:29 PM

Jul 2011
Vitruvius said:
Praland said:

Hey, you wanna go, bro?!!

Sure, why not
Mar 27, 2015 8:52 PM

Feb 2015
I like mainstream anime, but love finding obsure and ancient anime to watch too. If I avoided mainstream anime completely I would have a hard time connecting with the broader anime community.
Mar 27, 2015 9:04 PM

Aug 2013
That's called caring too much about other people's taste in cartoons. Not healthy imo.

Not only that, but you're making the assumption that everyone cares about their 'image' on some cancerous anime website. Could it also be possible that their taste/scores don't magically align with your made up credentials of legitimacy, because that's how they actually feel? Idk it just seems like flawed logic. If you're gonna go out of your way to critique, at least do it correctly.

I dunno..that post just baffled me. And I believe it's 100% not even a troll.
Mar 27, 2015 9:06 PM
Apr 2010
Why do guys even give a fuck about what other guys like and dislike?
Mar 27, 2015 9:08 PM
Apr 2014
I think most of the hate for mainstream anime comes from hype backlash, not just the anime itself, although that's often a factor as well. Why else do you think the anime with the most backlash these days are stuff like AOT, SAO, NGNL, and not obscure shorts like Human Zoo, Shitcom, or Utsu Musume Sayuri?
Mar 27, 2015 9:38 PM

Sep 2014
Because they're hipsters.

Seriously though, I think anyone who goes out of their way to express their hatred for an anime simply because it's "mainstream", is someone who doesn't exist. Or at least, I thankfully haven't come across anyone like that. Yet.
Mar 27, 2015 9:39 PM

Jul 2014
I don't hate mainstream anime.
Mar 27, 2015 9:57 PM

Oct 2013
Fo-Fai said:
That's called caring too much about other people's taste in cartoons. Not healthy imo.

Not only that, but you're making the assumption that everyone cares about their 'image' on some cancerous anime website. Could it also be possible that their taste/scores don't magically align with your made up credentials of legitimacy, because that's how they actually feel? Idk it just seems like flawed logic. If you're gonna go out of your way to critique, at least do it correctly.

I'm pretty sure I made it very clear that this generalization is bad/flawed. Of course I know that not everyone is like that, I thought I made that perfectly clear so I wouldn't get replies like yours.

but as I said before, I can't tell who are the pretenders from who aren't, just from looking at their list, therefore I simple think of them all as being pretenders. until further notice. Although the ones that love to use these words like, "shit taste" "casual fags" "mainstream fags" ect are the most obvious ones of them all. note. I'm not talking about the peeps that say it just for the shits and gags.

You yourself can't deny that there aren't pretenders here on mal, that make a elitist list just to fit in the "Good taste" club as they called it. lol

so yea, this logic maybe is flawed. but this is just how I see it from experience and paying attention to a lot of stuff at mal.

Oh, and don't get me wrong. I really don't care if peeps like my series or not. It just confuses me how far some people will go with these taste in anime bullcrap.
keragammingMar 27, 2015 10:05 PM
Mar 27, 2015 9:59 PM

Feb 2015
I can enjoy them.
Mar 27, 2015 10:42 PM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
One thing I noticed is that, it's fans are delusional and hungry for it to be recognized, by saying it's better than the big 3 and the likes.

France
This really isn't opinion based, Toriko is not popular outside of Japan, and for obvious reasons

It is better than the big 3, except bleach.
The other series fanbase is the problem they can't stand some newcomer coming for their throats so they bash it, the only hate I hear for toriko is sheep talk, "cooking is lame, muscle men ewww, I hate adventure and no deep plot (even thou they watch one piece and the like)"

Lmfao XD I just went to the France site and there's a big toriko advertisement/promotion XD
I told you, toriko = marathon runner, it's sales are goooood
And toriko is way behind in volumes release in france, looks like I'll have to personally educate these fools :( time for some reviews, google translate should suffice.
Mar 27, 2015 10:43 PM

Aug 2013
keragamming said:
Fo-Fai said:

I'm pretty sure I made it very clear that this generalization is bad/flawed. Of course I know that not everyone is like that, I thought I made that perfectly clear so I wouldn't get replies like yours.

but as I said before, I can't tell who are the pretenders from who aren't, just from looking at their list, therefore I simple think of them all as being pretenders. until further notice. Although the ones that love to use these words like, "shit taste" "casual fags" "mainstream fags" ect are the most obvious ones of them all. note. I'm not talking about the peeps that say it just for the shits and gags.

You yourself can't deny that there aren't pretenders here on mal, that make a elitist list just to fit in the "Good taste" club as they called it. lol

so yea, this logic maybe is flawed. but this is just how I see it from experience and paying attention to a lot of stuff at mal.

Oh, and don't get me wrong. I really don't care if peeps like my series or not. It just confuses me how far some people will go with these taste in anime bullcrap.
No it's fine. As I said you've convinced me fully of your genuineness.

I find it easier to just use my instincts and figure out if someone is an asshole or not. Sounds a lot less convoluted. To each their own, though.
Mar 27, 2015 10:48 PM

Dec 2012
What's ironic is how most people pulling the individualism hipster routine don't even realize they're doing it. It astonishes me how people can say something like "I don't like Naruto because the fans are so annoying" with a straight face.
Mar 27, 2015 10:49 PM

Jul 2012
Is Death Note shit?
Mar 27, 2015 10:52 PM

Aug 2009
I can understand it. They dislike the hype surrounding things, and it kind of spoils it. So much for 'finding a diamond in the rough'. I kind of avoided a lot of stuff when I was younger because it was 'overrated'. (I'm a girl but I can understand their point of view).
Mar 27, 2015 10:59 PM

Feb 2010
Probably because they dislike them. I see lot of people watch stuff just because they are talked about a lot so they can also have an opinion on them, even if they aren't appealing to them. On the other hand obscure shows never get watched just so people can have an opinion on them since they aren't talked about anyway.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 27, 2015 11:48 PM

Dec 2012
ichii_1 said:
tsudecimo said:
One thing I noticed is that, it's fans are delusional and hungry for it to be recognized, by saying it's better than the big 3 and the likes.

France
This really isn't opinion based, Toriko is not popular outside of Japan, and for obvious reasons

It is better than the big 3, except bleach.
The other series fanbase is the problem they can't stand some newcomer coming for their throats so they bash it, the only hate I hear for toriko is sheep talk, "cooking is lame, muscle men ewww, I hate adventure and no deep plot (even thou they watch one piece and the like)"

Lmfao XD I just went to the France site and there's a big toriko advertisement/promotion XD
I told you, toriko = marathon runner, it's sales are goooood
And toriko is way behind in volumes release in france, looks like I'll have to personally educate these fools :( time for some reviews, google translate should suffice.

Still not relevant, no matter how true you think that is.

Link to the site? prove there is a delay in France release? can you give me any monthly ranking where any Toriko volume showed up?
Mar 28, 2015 12:30 AM

Jan 2015
Because Naruto fangays are the worst shit ever
Mar 28, 2015 12:31 AM

Apr 2013
Naruto will never reach the height of One Piece
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

122 by AndoCommando »»
8 minutes ago

» Why was Magic Knight Rayearth overshadowed by Cardcaptor Sakura in terms of popularity?

funtime43_tr - 3 hours ago

6 by animegamer245 »»
11 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

65 by AndoCommando »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you guys pretend to hate anime? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Today

50 by AndoCommando »»
17 minutes ago

» Any idea for my 2000th anime?

BenjaminJunior - Yesterday

8 by pludel2 »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.