Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 27, 2015 9:47 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting finale. Mendoza looks like a freak of nature to me now lol

Really liked how they used the OST and found time to give almost every major character some sort of spotlight; although Leon is still kinda of the main event against Mendoza's sick ambitions. Some decent action for the finale episode with a bit of emotions as well when Leon saw a glance of her mother.

Overall, pretty damn interesting show. 8/10. Can't wait for sequel and movie.
Mar 27, 2015 10:53 AM

Jul 2010
This was more graphical with Mendoza being like that. Glad that his immortality comes from regeneration powers and not one like an impenetrable force field.

Bringing Mendoza to the Makai and willing to trap him there. I really enjoyed the idea of how immortality of the old council and how Leon said that there would always be a knight that would rise up.

The flames to protect Leon, the way Mendoza is forever being burned, lacking pain would be great for Mendoza and there wouldn't be any permanent damage done to him.

Really going to miss Herman, especially when the new season comes. That guy was just such an enjoyable person to have around. Leon's different form and the Makai world filled with flames looked pretty amazing and quite fitting for finale.

Leon having a younger sibling! The amount of growth for Leon fro being a person that tends to whine and being unable to protect anything to this point. Alfonso from being a person that didn't know anything. Have to say that I really enjoyed this. An high 8/10 would be just about right.

Seeing Lara's grave again,it really brings me to think if Leon can really handle losing all the people who he holds dear... not that great of a thought to end things.
Mar 27, 2015 10:54 AM

Apr 2014
Thoughts for the Final Episode:

Damn it!!! So Herman (and Lara) was really dead!!! Fuck it!!!!
Well anyway he got a child from Ximena who will inherit the "Makai Night Zoro" Garo/Gear!
But it's still better having the cool dad Herman alive!!!
Wait a minute just as Leon said he will pass down his armor, is there a possible he also had on Emma? I hope he had it with Lara though.
And Alfonso had a quite possibility of having his partner in the OVA or in the Second, Season who knows?
Well It's time to rate this awesome series. I'll give it an 8 score over all.
I can't wait for the OVA and of course the Second Season of Garo The Animation!
RayzerMar 27, 2015 12:18 PM
Haters always gonna hate.
Mar 27, 2015 11:04 AM

Jun 2012
Another solid action series in the books(Until S2). It didn't make the best use of its time but there is a lot to like about the show if it's your thing.
Mar 27, 2015 11:07 AM

Jun 2011
So there might be a time-skip and the baby will be the main char?
Mar 27, 2015 11:12 AM

Nov 2012
What a great ending and so we might get Léon teaching his brother that's nice.
Mar 27, 2015 11:14 AM

Sep 2013
After Mendoza absorbed the giant Horror, he became hilarious. The way he moved and talked was so fruity. lol Seeing Leon get smacked as he raised his sword was hilarious too, like slapstick stuff.

The action itself though was fucking amazing. The fluidity, colors and cinematography were all awesome. That's sort of where my praise ends though.

First off... the asspull power up of fusing with the Zoro armor, allowing him to go 1-on-1 with Mendoza. I'll admit that it didn't bother me too much because the action that came out of it was awesome but...

Then the actual climax happened... Leon grabs Mendoza, brings him down to Makai, willing to sacrifice himself for the good of mankind! And.... his mother... summons flames... and traps Mendoza in them... allowing Leon to escape... *facepalm*

Having Leon sacrifice himself to stop Mendoza not only would have made for a more tragic and better ending but also would have fit his character arc very well. He learned what it means to fight to protect people, he learned about sacrifice and responsibility of using the Garo armor. It would make sense that it would build up to him giving his life to save humanity.

Now, I am not against him surviving and beating Mendoza... but the way they did it was so stupid... They pulled the whole, "His mom protected him with flames" thing right out of their asses...

Meh, Overall 6/10. I liked the series but it had the occasional boring or filler episode, the action was hit or miss and the dialogue and characters were rather cliche. The plot was somewhat predictable too and I am still not sure what the setting is supposed to be. It's an okay series though.
Mar 27, 2015 11:28 AM

Jun 2013
No emma x leon :( actually no one got whit anyone
Mar 27, 2015 11:41 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
That finale was epic as fuck O_O

Mendoza went full on God-Mode.....He looked badass and I loved his attitude after he transformed, I seriously did not expect him to absorb that Ultimate Horror thing lol

Animation was stunning in this episode and teh fight scenes were so amazing, especially during the part where Leon combined the Garo and Zoro armors.....THAT WAS SO FUCKING COOL

I really liked the role that Alphonso and Ema played (Kinda weird how she lived but whatever) and it was great seeing the original owner of Gaia again....The emotions during that scene was great

I had a hunch that Ximena would have ended up pregnant with German's child...That scene with her Leon and the Zaruba made me smile and then the Lara grave scene made me smile even more :'')

8/10 Overall, I am HYPED for S2 and the film
Mar 27, 2015 11:42 AM

Aug 2012
Keten said:

Having Leon sacrifice himself to stop Mendoza not only would have made for a more tragic and better ending but also would have fit his character arc very well. He learned what it means to fight to protect people, he learned about sacrifice and responsibility of using the Garo armor. It would make sense that it would build up to him giving his life to save humanity.

Now, I am not against him surviving and beating Mendoza... but the way they did it was so stupid... They pulled the whole, "His mom protected him with flames" thing right out of their asses...
Yeah it feels weird that she'd be able to pull something like that off in her consumed state, but in terms of Leon's character I think it fits perfect. His journey was finally rounded out by realizing that the symbol he'd fixated on as his bitter revenge should be his acceptance of his mother's protection. I think it was important that he'd had the resolve the sacrifice himself, but his mother's appearance and words made him realize he isn't yet at the point where he doesn't have any need for his mother's protection.
Mar 27, 2015 11:54 AM

Jun 2014
The second half of this anime was actually very good. The OSTs were fucking amazing overall.
Mar 27, 2015 11:56 AM

Jan 2013
I really liked this anime...
Mar 27, 2015 11:58 AM

Nov 2012
Nice ending,
Too bad Herman is dead, but lol at him asking Leon to visit Ximena.
Anyway, I am still angry that they killed Lara, why???????????????
At least his armor looked great on this episode.....
Mar 27, 2015 12:10 PM

Sep 2013
AlexTheRiot said:
Yeah it feels weird that she'd be able to pull something like that off in her consumed state, but in terms of Leon's character I think it fits perfect. His journey was finally rounded out by realizing that the symbol he'd fixated on as his bitter revenge should be his acceptance of his mother's protection. I think it was important that he'd had the resolve the sacrifice himself, but his mother's appearance and words made him realize he isn't yet at the point where he doesn't have any need for his mother's protection.

I understand what they were going for but it had no foreshadowing and came out of no where. It's also incredibly cheesy too which doesn't fit the tone of the series. Garo was always a depressing dark fantasy action series so having an ending like this doesn't really sit well with me. If they were going to have Leon survive and beat Mendoza with no sacrifice, they could have done it a lot better.
Mar 27, 2015 12:31 PM

Feb 2014
Wow this ending was quite something. It delivered on every front and I loved every moment. It sets up the second season nicely. I hope we learn more about their version of the underworld/afterlife and about origins of horrors in general.

One thing MAPPA excels in truly is animation, they really create some beautiful unique scenes.

Overall 8/10
Mar 27, 2015 12:38 PM

Jul 2009
I was worried the ending would be super corny ...wait it was...BUT I DON'T CARE it was good corny. I liked it :)

But this dumbbitch Ximena. I KNEW she was pregnant and yet her dumbass was running towards danger like her ass could have done anything against Horrors, Mendoza or the Anima. Good thing she got sidetracked.

Zaruba and Jiruba are awesome as usual doh :)
Mar 27, 2015 12:52 PM

Feb 2013
Keten said:
After Mendoza absorbed the giant Horror, he became hilarious. The way he moved and talked was so fruity. lol Seeing Leon get smacked as he raised his sword was hilarious too, like slapstick stuff.

The action itself though was fucking amazing. The fluidity, colors and cinematography were all awesome. That's sort of where my praise ends though.

First off... the asspull power up of fusing with the Zoro armor, allowing him to go 1-on-1 with Mendoza.

As far as asspulls go, this one isn't really all that hard to buy considering these suits of armor have their own will. It made sense for Zoro to assist the kin of his late master to save the world. The actual idea of fusing armor is new and all but I don't think it's bad. The mom inferno threw me off a bit more.

Keten said:
I understand what they were going for but it had no foreshadowing and came out of no where. It's also incredibly cheesy too which doesn't fit the tone of the series. Garo was always a depressing dark fantasy action series so having an ending like this doesn't really sit well with me. If they were going to have Leon survive and beat Mendoza with no sacrifice, they could have done it a lot better.

What you never considered Garo cheesy up till now?
Mar 27, 2015 12:54 PM

Sep 2013
gedata said:
As far as asspulls go, this one isn't really all that hard to buy considering these suits of armor have their own will. It made sense for Zoro to assist the kin of his late master to save the world. The actual idea of fusing armor is new and all but I don't think it's bad. The mom inferno threw me off a bit more.

Yeah, like I said, the asspull didn't bother me too much because it leads to an awesome action sequence. It did come out of no where though, they never gave any indication that fusing the suits was possible.

gedata said:

What you never considered Garo cheesy up till now?

Fair point. I still didn't like it though. Lol
Mar 27, 2015 12:56 PM

Aug 2010
Really good ep and conclusion for S1. Really loved it :3

EPIC animation strikes once again! Dat Mappa budget XD

Mendoza looked awesome in his final form. Dem dimensional punches!

Friggin loved the part Leon just slashed his face off :O

Dat Matrix dodge!! Followed by a double transformation Flipping mid air!! Awesome shit!!

Dat burning Mendoza animation was insane :O So good >.<! Mama to the rescue!

The epilogue was nice. So Xemina really will bear Herman's child and he'll be Zoro's inheritor? XD Well I guess Leon has a job for now. Ximena is pretty much considered his step mom now Inb4 incest with daddy's woman :P Too much Hentai XD

The scene when he was thinking about Lara was nice too. And Alphonso sure has his eyes on one friggin Hot/cute girl *A*
Mar 27, 2015 12:58 PM

Feb 2012
Keten said:

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that the show is also about the new generation of Garo knights taking over for the old generation, and Leon still has more protecting to do before he kicks the bucket. Mendoza might be defeated, but there are still other Horrors and such out there, and Leon dying would just leave Alfonso and Ema alone to deal with them. You can argue that's enough, but I think his dad dying (as well as Herman's final words) are enough to keep Leon alive for now.

Keten said:

If they were going to have Leon survive and beat Mendoza with no sacrifice, they could have done it a lot better.

Again, his dad is dead. I think that's sacrifice enough.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Mar 27, 2015 1:04 PM

Apr 2013
8/10 second half of this anime = godly
Mar 27, 2015 1:05 PM

Sep 2013
Flawfinder said:

Again, his dad is dead. I think that's sacrifice enough.

By no sacrifice, I meant his life. Herman dying is enough of a loss but I was saying they could have handled Mendoza's defeat a lot better rather than relying on asspulls. I also understand that the series was about new generations but if anything, Leon dying also supports that because he stated himself, "Even if I die, another Garo will take my place and then another and another and eventually we will find a way to stop you for good".

Edit: Even if I say I don't like the ending and even give the series a 6/10 though, I'd still be up for a second season.
KetenMar 27, 2015 2:30 PM
Mar 27, 2015 1:14 PM

Oct 2009
I will gladly watch the second season ^^
Mar 27, 2015 1:39 PM

Jun 2014
9.5/10
Mar 27, 2015 1:51 PM

Jan 2008
I like the prospect of Leon being mentor to his half-bro next season.
Mar 27, 2015 2:03 PM

Sep 2011
that was a perfect conclusion, from the intensity of the mendoza fight to leons almost heroic sacrifice as well as that tearjerker farewell to his parents, it was all just striking the right cords in every way and the episode blew by in no time at all, im so satisfied and saddened at the same time its over

im definitely giving the show a 9/10 i absolutely adored it even if i will admit to just how niche a story it is as well as some needs improvement in getting its plot going, but for the past 6 months this show has provided me some of the biggest thrills and enjoyment, it had incredible character development, top notch action and ost, benefited from catching me off guard on many occassions, and was just a treat start to finish but mainly in its 3rd act. Im not sure how season 2 will work out but i have a feeling it will be

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 27, 2015 2:30 PM

Aug 2014
The sole fact of Leon surviving the ending makes it so much less predictable in a certain point of view '^'
Mar 27, 2015 2:39 PM

Sep 2011
NocheTriste said:
The sole fact of Leon surviving the ending makes it so much less predictable in a certain point of view '^'
plus him dying would completly back-peddle what they established with herman, leon is to carry on his duty in herman's palce, herman sacrificed himself BECAUSE he wanted leon to live and carry on, him dying even in a heroic fashion would of really caused a giant inconsistency of writing

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 27, 2015 3:39 PM

Apr 2009
8/10, best show in that season after Mushishi - which is saying a lot.
Straightforward, predictable at times, but still full of awesome sequences and well-established characters. A classic action that actually had action, a nice plot and some romance thrown in it hat was not cringeworthy.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 27, 2015 3:45 PM

Jul 2010
WOOOOOOO dual armor. Better than dual blade.
Mar 27, 2015 3:59 PM

Mar 2010
wow. herman u sly dawg. LOL when anna founds out.. enjoyable series.
Mar 27, 2015 5:58 PM

Jun 2013
really enjoyed the series. Am glad that he didn't take his dads sword and then all of a sudden he could slice Mendoza to death. Can't believe there will be a season 2
Mar 27, 2015 6:05 PM
Jun 2014
Wow. Just wow. I have no words to describe this ending.
Everything played out so beautifully. The fight was amazing! Especially the scene with Leon's new armor. *^*
Anna and Herman <3 Their sacrifices.
And awwwhh Alfonso found a girl. I'm happy for him!
Has to be the best episode of the series imo. Really enjoyed every second. 2nd season please!
Mar 27, 2015 7:05 PM
Dec 2010
Karmic retribution Mendoza
leon let the flames get him once, he repented
you let the flames get you when you made the ring and then went on to burn hundreds of people, now you can burn for all eternity
Mar 27, 2015 7:40 PM

Jul 2011
Burn like Roy Mustang style baby ~
Mar 27, 2015 8:13 PM

Oct 2012
The fusing of the armor thing was actually a good idea, made a lot more sense than some of the other Garo power-ups i've seen. The thing with his mother provided some good closure for their relationship, it was nice even though it's questionable where did she get the power to burn Mendoza for eternity.

Also kind of surprised Emma survived a shotgun blow to the abdomen.

Léon now received the duty of passing down his own armor, so i'm guessing next season we are getting a brand new Garo? Can't wait to see it.

Good series. The most enjoyable thing i've seen from Mappa so far, it gets an 8/10 from me.
Mar 27, 2015 8:21 PM
Nov 2013
What a great finale! I didn't expect it to be as satisfying as it was. Leon became a worthy protector, Alfonso a great prince, and Ema an even more bad ass woman! We also have the next Zoro as well (R.I.P German)

8/10 from me. This is an extremely underrated series, I thought it was very unique. MAPPA has been on a roll and are truly excelling at animation right now. Very excitedor season 2 and the movie, although they will probably have new characters (although I'm hoping it's about the next Zoro)
Mar 27, 2015 9:53 PM

Jan 2011
Not enough people watch this which is a damn shame. Seriously good series. Didn't peg it to be this engaging from the start but wow what a surprise. Good story, good characters, great art.

Underviewed and underrated.

Very glad there is a sequel.
Mar 27, 2015 9:53 PM

Feb 2015
Pretty cool.
Mendoza is still ew even after absorbing that Horror.
The part Leon combined the Garo and Zoro armors is so damn cool I could cry.
Was hoping Herman still alive but duh.
Can't wait to see the next season. 9/10
Mar 27, 2015 10:13 PM

Jan 2011
Whoa that was metal as fuck.
Mar 27, 2015 11:41 PM
Jul 2018
Mendoza absorbed that horror. His form looks great.

Leon's mom came to the rescue. I really like that burning scene.
Mar 27, 2015 11:44 PM

Mar 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
Whoa that was metal as fuck.

This.

Lmao that was great. >///< Ximena is having a baby!! yay. Was a really fun, kinda stupid ending but I enjoyed it.

Also, I like the idea that Mendoza is gonna burn from the flames of revenge forever, but it was really just wedged in and was random. Also its straight out of kenshin, shishio did it first!!

Probably 7.5 for me
Mar 28, 2015 12:48 AM

May 2013
Mendoza absorbing Anima and gained immortality. His form looks badass with those tattoos and an indestructible body.
I like that combined armor of Leon and Herman. It gives off an awesome aura of gold and silver.
Ximena is pregnant. The Zoro armor is awaiting it's next wielder. I'm guessing Leon will teach that boy someday how to be a Makai Knight just like Herman taught Leon.

Overall, that was so intense and all the characters were badass. Awaiting the next season.
8/10
Mar 28, 2015 1:14 AM

Oct 2013
Unfortunately, I voted 3.
Something's missing, not sure what but I have a feeling that it has to do with Herman
Mar 28, 2015 2:20 AM

Feb 2014
Solid ending I suppose. RIP all ships, except for maybe Leon girl version x Prince Alfonso.
Mar 28, 2015 7:47 AM

May 2014

TBH I thought this finale wasn't as interesting as episode 12.

Keten said:

First off... the asspull power up of fusing with the Zoro armor, allowing him to go 1-on-1 with Mendoza. I'll admit that it didn't bother me too much because the action that came out of it was awesome but...

Then the actual climax happened... Leon grabs Mendoza, brings him down to Makai, willing to sacrifice himself for the good of mankind! And.... his mother... summons flames... and traps Mendoza in them... allowing Leon to escape... *facepalm*

Meh, Overall 6/10. I liked the series but it had the occasional boring or filler episode, the action was hit or miss and the dialogue and characters were rather cliche. The plot was somewhat predictable too and I am still not sure what the setting is supposed to be. It's an okay series though.

Yeah - the mom thing killed the excitement IMO.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Mar 28, 2015 7:49 AM

May 2014
Brxck said:
Solid ending I suppose. RIP all ships, except for maybe Leon girl version x Prince Alfonso.

Meh, go yaoi. Leon x Alfonso.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Mar 28, 2015 8:48 AM

May 2014
So Leon's piece of shit died after all. LOL, I thought that he would be revived after Mendoza were defeated, but oh well. That's suprized me.

The ep. were ok. Actually the whole series were meh. I mean the plot were a little boring and same from what I have seen. But what this animation had were action and good animation. Overall I think it doesn't deserve anymore than 6/10. ^^
Mar 28, 2015 9:15 AM

Mar 2014
The conclusion left me a bit disappointed because there is something missing
Mar 28, 2015 9:57 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode, I quite liked the end, the fight of Leon against Mendoza also involved sentimentality and had a very convenient outcome for the protagonist

The end left me looking forward to the second season, for sure I will accompany ..

And once again did not want Lara had died =/
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

65 by macabongx »»
Nov 8, 2023 4:02 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2015

204 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 4, 2022 3:50 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2014

169 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 3, 2022 3:40 PM

» 2nd half is a lot better than first

Barry_Allen_14 - Aug 16, 2021

2 by Scythe97 »»
Sep 30, 2022 3:52 AM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

89 by Creepyarea »»
Sep 17, 2022 1:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.