Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Apr 29, 2015 9:16 AM
Nov 2013
Air violin at its best. Stupid question: Is Kaori into Watari or Kosei?

Beautiful episode
Apr 30, 2015 1:29 PM
Feb 2015
RavenWish said:
Air violin at its best. Stupid question: Is Kaori into Watari or Kosei?

Beautiful episode

should be obvious a few episodes before this one
Jul 19, 2015 5:25 PM

Apr 2013
Forgetfulness said:
Episode was actually really good. Glad the show culminated towards history not repeating itself and Arima finding his reason to play despite the shit he has to go through like people dying

I guess a final duet is too much to ask for at this point. Maybe a little unofficial one at the hospital as she dies, but I'm almost certain not a concert.

Just a few episodes ago, I had the same hope that they could do a final performance together...why is this show so sorrowful.
Oct 26, 2015 5:37 PM
Feb 2015
Oh god if Kaori dies in the last episode I might just kill myself
Dec 17, 2015 3:54 AM

Apr 2014
I was able to rediscover a lot of excellent music thanks to this anime and so on to the finale with thanks and regrets
Dec 18, 2015 4:44 AM

Jul 2014
Okay, I can not take this anymore. I cried and cried and I can't even see the screen anymore 'cause my glasses are so hazy. I can not take this.
I'll be crushed after the last episode, na? I'll be crushed and shredded into pieces, na?
I don't want that.
PLEASE, DON'T TURN OUTTA BE LIKE THIS, PLEASE!
Dec 30, 2015 2:40 AM

Jun 2009
sad episode, the next episode will probably be sadder.
Apr 24, 2016 11:36 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
This is getting really emotive right now, inspiring.
I love music. And this is such a beautiful anime, resonances soo much with the beauty of the music. Damm the feels.
Well, forwards to the end.
Jul 12, 2016 2:53 AM

Dec 2013
Happy that Arima got his shit together.

Only one more episode!
Jul 17, 2016 12:28 AM
Jul 2016
This was an absolutely magical scene. My favorite in the entire series. For me, the entire season (which had a lot of moving scenes) led up to this single moment:

Jul 28, 2016 9:12 PM

Jan 2013
Glad Tsubaki made Kousei wake up and realize he still has people that he can reach.
Kaori ... has to die, otherwise this entire show feels a bit meaningless at this point.

Amazing episode though, probably one of my favourites.
Aug 2, 2016 9:29 PM

Aug 2013
Still haven't cried!

I think I'm doing pretty well, actually. Better than I thought I would.
Aug 20, 2016 4:21 PM
Aug 2016
The end was kinda disapointing to me. I thought about someting like *brutal piano solo* for Kaori Miyazono
Aug 27, 2016 6:26 AM

Jun 2016
I hope Kaori's surgery goes well, this series is full of emotions and bursting feels...
Oh and look, here we are now, to the last episode of this thrilling series..
Sep 9, 2016 11:30 PM

Jan 2010
I like Your Lie in April. Because of that, I feel it's necessary to be critical of it.

Music-based shows have a innate advantage to their setups. They have a large catalogue of musical pieces to work off of, of which are tied directly to the show's own story. They typically boast well-made visuals to compliment their focus on directly stimulating the senses. By virtue of existing, they also have free tickets to make statements regarding the arts, emotions, the human condition, beauty and passion. However, the two greatest advantages they have involve silence - the absense of dialogue and the absense of music.

It feels like Your Lie in April is fighting with itself. One part struggles to be seen and heard, blaring its soundtrack whenever it can, both in the calm everyday interactions an in the sakuga-soaked concert scenes. The other wants to be understood, desparately explaining every minute detail of every single character in every single scene. I've seen extremely brief moments of where those parts stood alone, and those moments were breathtaking. Yet, the next immediate moment would suck me back out.

When I want to get into the concert scenes, they keep getting interrupted by constant cuts to reaction faces upon reaction faces. I mentioned this before, how this show, which claims music is capable of speaking more than words, ironically narrates exposition and poetics over its own music. Conversely, when characters are speaking heavy lines, the soundtrack and visuals seem obsessed in making sure we fully understand what's going on. I enjoy theatrics where the audiovisuals compliment the plot at hand, but something's off in this case. Perhaps it's the dialogue and music fighting to both be heard. Perhaps it's the characters and the set both fighting to be seen.

As an example, this episode was a very opportune episode to not have an opening. It could have continued straight into the main episode's body without disrupting its established tone. The various characters could have doing their silly jokes to soften the mood. I'm fine with that, as it reflects the heavy tone of the scenario where the characters desparately try to keep their spirits up. Though, that would just be a supposition. You could take away the monologues and inner thoughts, replacing them with moments of silence. That'll give us, the audience, a chance to interpret individual scenes. Imagine if Kousei was nearly muted out, leaving us to guess at whether he's falling back into depression or trying to psyche himself into performing. What if Hiroko held onto her own thoughts, leaving us with the visual of her just looking over Kousei as she did two years ago? And thoughout all this, if Kousei really did feel like he lost his music, what if the show managed to go silent with its soundtrack, reflecting how Kousei's world was going dull again, if even for just a moment?That's not what happens though.

I hate the idea that art is subjective. It denies the ability to argue and shoots down any attempt to discuss any piece of work. There doesn't need to be one true meaning to anything, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a chance to at least understand the material we're consuming. In the case of Your Lie in April, it constantly gives the audience these answers, leaving little to discuss or think about. Everything is as they are, and there's no wiggle room for interpretation.

The one fear Kaori has is being forgotten, which is the reason why she tried to hard to be heard. Almost ironically, I fear that this anime will be forgotten, as thus far, there's nothing to remember this anime by other than moments. Just...vignettes of disconnected moments, passing jokes and a buttload of tears. I remember hearing so much praise two years ago. It was quite decisive actually, with the show being regarded as either a brilliant tear factory or utter crap. Since then, other shows have entered the spotlight and just as quickly left. And now, here I am, one episode from the end fearing that it won't be as impactful as it makes itself out to be.

Was it because I set my expectations to high? Was it because I was spoiled a while back, thereby allowing me to observe the show's overall workings as opposed to becoming invested in its story? Is it because I've watched a number of other dramatic shows, in some ways numbing me to any emotional investment? Maybe it's because I like shows that are more atmospheric and quiet as opposed to loud and obvious. Thinking back, at least for me, the greatest shows I've watched in the realm of dramas have me thinking years down the line "I wonder what happened there" or "I wonder what they were thinking here." These are shows with a richness to themselves, providing just as much explanations as unexplained mysteries that can slowly be uncovered upon each successive rewatch. Moments are great, but they shouldn't define a show. They're great in creating memorable scenes as momuments to the show's whole, but it doesn't make a show rewatchable by itself.

Perhaps the greatest tragedy is for a show to be watched once, then be left to gather dust. I don't want this to happen to Your Lie in April, as it deserves much more than that. I want to see this show reach even greater heights, though I'm sure that Your Lie in April is set on its course to the end. I wish the show was slower, taking its time to let us observe and listen to what it was trying to do. I wanted it to take its time, easing us into its characters and story. I'm not giving up yet, as in this show still lies great potential to prove to me it deserves the rank it has on this site, as well as the praise I've heard it receive two years ago. I want this show to prove me wrong.
Oct 7, 2016 1:14 PM

Aug 2015
I am already dead. Oh gosh! All over this episode I was crying! Everythink is soooo sad! I think that my mental health is compromised... I'm afraid to watch the last episode. The truth can be too overwhelming.

That scene expresses more than 1000 words. And there is nothing more I wanna add.
Oct 11, 2016 2:44 PM

Nov 2015

Let's just say I don't want to watch the next episode...
I don't want to see the goodbye...
Feb 26, 2017 3:20 AM
Dec 2009
Beautiful episode. Hearing more about Kaori's dreams and uncertainties I'm finally starting to get really emotional about the non-happy ending that seems to be coming :(
Mar 6, 2017 3:59 PM

Nov 2016
Drowning in tears.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2017 3:58 AM

Apr 2015
"We all need someone to kiss us goodbye."

Decent episode.

Welp time for the last one

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Jun 14, 2017 8:56 AM
Jun 2016
Glad to see that the show is finally back on track, even if some minor things can be an annoyance. Really cool episode, I'm glad that Kousei finally realized that even if he lost is mother and will probably lose Kaori, Watari and Tsubaki were always there for him, his teacher is still there to support him, his rivals can be a source of motivation, and they all help him grow as a person, so he's not alone and didn't lose everyone he cared for.

Kousei's performance is great so far, sent shivers down my spine. Well, I think I know where this is going, and I think the ending is gonna destroy me...

(BTW, seriously, is there something that doesn't triggers flashback in this show ? haha)
Jul 30, 2017 5:36 AM

Dec 2015
I wish he play his best in the next episode
Feb 5, 2018 12:15 AM

Jul 2013
I thought Kosei's gonna fuck it up again because something always happens when he performs but it seems he's doing it perfectly but I wouldn't know for sure all classical music sound the same to me.
Apr 15, 2018 6:54 PM

Dec 2016
Oh God :'c
Kousei </3 I'd really wish his future with Kaori could be, they deserve it ;A;
Jan 1, 2019 11:27 AM

Apr 2013
The pacing of this episode was so slow again, felt like they put an unnecessary amount of scenes in it just to draw it out. I feel like they should have used that time better to prepare for the last episode, wonder how they cannot overlord episode 22 to end it right.
Mar 8, 2019 11:28 PM

Mar 2016
For Kouei, the people he cares about are taken away from him by music, that's the same thing that happens to Tsubaki, but in Kousei's case... They die.

I really love the moments when Kousei and Kaori are just together by themselves having fun and joking around. Such lovely moments, but nothing is all sunshine, especially when Kaori said "I want to know so many things about you." That hits me hard, the weight of the feel is immense. I teared up there.

So, at the 18th, both Kousei and Kaori are struggling in their own way. To play the piano and make Kousei's feelings reach the audiences, and to undertake a dangerous surgery for a chance at living a normal life again. BLESS THEM WITH MIRACLES!!!

Oh damn, the moments before Kousei's performance got the heaviest feels in the entire ep. Especially when Kousei said to himself that he had to play because he's a pianist and that everyone else is waiting for him, watching him. I straight up cried during the scenes where compilations of short flashbacks are shown just before Kousei began to play the piano in a way that the audiences can feel the feelings behind the notes.

Wonderful ep with heavy feels...
Apr 13, 2019 9:52 AM

Dec 2018
They spent their moment together in a snow, not for the last time hopefully. And what the? Don't tell me this anime is into magical stuff.

Oh boy they give us a flashback of Kaori's words not only 1. That could only means something.....

"The people I cared for are being taken away by music." Well that's not entirely true because what connects them are music. His mother teaching him how to play piano, Tsubaki admires him for his skill in piano, and lastly Kaori appoint him as her accompanist on her performance. Without music I thought he wouldn't have meet Kaori otherwise.

He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Jul 3, 2019 1:00 PM

Sep 2017
Being admitted to the ICU is literally never a good thing. Tsubaki is right. Kousei needs to be saved right now. Kaori's condition will rip him apart. I loved the distinction between Emi and Aiza practicing with so much enthusiasm and then cutting to Kousei's empty piano. Perfect letter, Kaori. Kaori is incredibly strong, being able to stay so positive when she was just admitted to an ICU. I hope the surgery goes well. Wonder what happened to his part-time job. Her standing up is a big deal, isn't it? Were his glasses CG there, lol? Miike pulling an Emi and trying to go incognito at the concert. He really is in the same condition he was in two years ago. "Is it the pressure?" If only you knew, random audience member. This show has a lot of misplaced comedy, but Tsubaki's cough was pretty great and was perfect for pushing Kousei to play. Kousei's performance was beautiful. One more episode left. I heard this show has an amazing ending, so I have high expectations. Let's see if it disappoints me or not.
Aug 6, 2019 4:11 PM

Aug 2007
It's amazing that Kousei gave Kaori a reason to have the surgery and try and push to live longer. If anything, her last thoughts are full of her giving her all. She made the best memories she could have, and inspired people. It's the most you could ask for. It's tragic they also fell in love with each other, but at the same time beautiful.

Hopefully Kousei can really comprehend that Kaori dying is a completely different type of death than what he experienced with his mother. Instead of desperation and fear that his mother pushed onto him with her last years, Kaori gave him hope, growth, and his first romance in a relatively short amount of time. He had to find the love his mother gave him, but with Kaori it was there all this time.
LycanAug 6, 2019 4:17 PM

Nov 7, 2019 7:21 PM

Jun 2017
Another episode that made me tear up, no surprise though. I'm really hoping Kaori makes it through the surgery. Also, I'm glad Kousei was able to play from the heart and not freeze up in fear.
Jan 20, 2020 8:04 PM

Jul 2016
Way to go, Seto. Failing at helping Kousei once again...

And by the way... man, you can really tell this is Shounen after all, uh? Kousei is at the edge of the abyss yet a few encouraging words (and a sneeze) were enough to bring him back from the suicide pit.

OK episode I guess. Too late for me to feel anything for Kaori so let's just see how this story will conclude.

P.S.: Are you really telling me that the anime will conclude and we will never know what goddamn illness Kaori had?
Feb 21, 2020 2:36 AM
Feb 2020
Best episode , My favourite episode , All things will happening , whatever you think in watching this series
Apr 6, 2020 3:31 AM

Mar 2020
So, our journey is coming to an end now. Let's hope for one big final blast at the end. I'm afraid she won't make it, I don't know, I got this feeling. Untill now it was a very good anime with a roller-coaster of feelings, à perfect 8/10
[url=https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Scuderia1615&sclick=1]
Apr 16, 2020 9:43 AM

Feb 2019
Damn it. My heart is being ripped apart.

The things they talked about on the rooftop... So the surgery is on the same day as his concert. I assume she basically confessed her feelings to Kousei. There's so much she doesn't know about him. So much that she wants to know. So much that she's jealous of Tsubaki for knowing everything.

She's scared. At that moment, my eyes went watery as well.

But she wants to keep living because she wants to spend more time with him, to know more about him.

Depressed Kousei is hard to see, especially when he was slouched before the concert, even drawing the concern of his rivals.

It almost seemed like he was going to go through what he went through two years ago, sitting in front of the piano, hands on his head, cannot play. But he remembered that he was there because of a lot of people: Tsubaki, Watari, Seto-sensei, Nagi, Takeshi, Emi, and everyone who has been waiting for his performance like Miike. And that was the most beautiful piece he's ever played for me personally.

But I know where this is headed. Beautiful and uplifting as it may be, I know what's in store.

Please pull through, Kaori. But I know that's a worthless plea.

My heart is going to be torn to pieces next episode.
Apr 30, 2020 6:06 AM

Feb 2018
This is very touching, really and next is last ep
May 8, 2020 4:42 PM
Oct 2019
Another solid episode. It's just what this show does at this point.

But more Kaori foreboding sadness. Don't die. Even while Kousei is playing, Kaori's uncertainty is the undertone.
May 8, 2020 4:54 PM
Oct 2019
HagePotPotato said:
Another solid episode. It's just what this show does at this point.

But more Kaori foreboding sadness. Don't die. Even while Kousei is playing, Kaori's uncertainty is the undertone.

Omg, what!? This is the next to last episode?

I had thought there were 24 or 26 this whole time!

Color me relieved that the sadness is almost over. But now I'm terrified of what may come in the finale...
Jul 6, 2020 8:33 AM

May 2018
Wahey, Kousei managed to bring himself together at the end
Jul 6, 2020 8:33 AM

May 2018
Wahey, Kousei managed to bring himself together at the end
Sep 25, 2020 11:06 PM

Aug 2018
Very heartbreaking episode, I don’t even know what else to say, my heart was pounding all the time while watching it
Dec 7, 2020 7:48 PM

Jan 2017
It's easy to lose sight of people loving you when you're fixated on loving a specific person, at least Kao can act as a stepping stone of sorts for Kousei to improve himself as a musician

That doesn't mean I want Kaori gone, but... :(
Feb 8, 2021 4:10 PM
Jul 2013
That joyful upbeat OP was well out of place. They should have used that time for Emi's performance.
I get a feeling if Kaori dies, Kousei is going to do something really stupid.
Mar 7, 2021 2:44 PM

Mar 2019
As Nagi would say..."What a cliche". That snow came at the perfect time. I just can't get over Kao's condition. It's like everything bad happens to her even though she always stays strong.

The rooftop scene was beautiful. Arima actually playing feels like something is still alive. Best moment from Tsubaki. That sneeze saved everything. Hoping it saves Kao as well. Only one way to find. 1 more episode, the final one, where everything ends. Let's see how Shigatsu wa kimi no uso ends.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Mar 17, 2021 11:39 AM

Apr 2017
Wow, they didn't even bother with the brunette girl's performance.

The protagonists performance is not even worth mentioning since in proper battle shounen fashion, it was completely smothered by the talking.
cunnysseur
Apr 1, 2021 7:13 AM

Feb 2019
An absolutely beautiful piece.

I REALLY hope Kaori doesn't die next episode.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
May 12, 2021 2:36 AM

Feb 2021
The hospital roof scene was sweet yet emotional. I really like Arima being able to pull off in the competition after such a low morale. I hope Kaori makes it in the end or it'll be a breakdown for me ;-;

Aug 14, 2021 4:50 AM

Jun 2021
It's amazing how both Kousei and Kaori find strength even when it seems impossible to do so. I'm so scared of what may happen in the last episode; I had cold sweats with this one, so I can't imagine how I'll feel with the following one.

It's worth mentioning that the soundtrack made everything a hundred times more emotional. It is so well done.
Jan 10, 2022 7:54 AM

Jul 2021
I was so scared that Kousei would be in the same shape as the beginning of the anime, but luckily, he managed to overcome the difficulties and play the piano. I hope everything goes well with Kousei's presentation in the next episode.
asdasdsadad
Aug 13, 2022 1:23 AM
Mar 2022
I cried so much after watching this episode. I don't know the reason why, but it feels painful. One of best episode that made me cry since I watched JJBA:GW. I'm going to rewatch this anime every year till I die. I have nothing else left to say.
Oct 8, 2022 11:37 AM
Jun 2021
finaly some fucking around and story that makes feelings give a meaning
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
Apr 23, 4:46 AM

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.