Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 17, 2015 4:22 PM

Nov 2011
bakcheia said:
However, I think it is good that the anime/manga tried to at least provide some perspective on her side of the story, and no I do not think it was an "asspull" at all. Kousei's mother was a person too and one that deeply loved her son. However, she became sick, and, in turn, incredibly fearful for her son's future without her. I think it would have been cheap if they had depicted her only as a faceless aggressor who only tormented her son. Her reasons weren't justifiable in any sense for abuse (nor is abuse justifiable or acceptable ever), but at least they are trying to show us how her good intentions for making him so good he would be successful spiraled out of control because of how scared she was. Nothing she did was acceptable in the slightest, but at least now we can see where she went wrong, and why Kousei has felt so conflicted about her. It is character development, and I think it was very necessary.

Does this excuse any of her clearly abusive behavior? Absolutely not.
Does it devalue any of the pain and trauma that Kousei had from the experiences? Absolutely not.
Does it provide some development to her character and show us that she was not always cruel? Yes.

I don't believe she was fearful for Kousei because of the context, the way it was shown to us. I believe that was part of her excuse for abusing him because she was confronted with it. This is part of what I'm saying about the lack of build up, and what (I think) surfboard and Alex are talking about when they're saying the directing is bad. There's no reason to assume what Saki is saying in that scene is genuine. Had we seen more scenes with her showing that it was genuine (perhaps through other perspectives so as to not intrude upon Kousei's epiphany), then this sudden conclusion for Kousei might be okay, but for the viewer/reader they didn't provide enough. It was already implied that she wasn't always abusive, but that's not. the. point.

The point is this: The abusive situation was left entirely unaddressed, making Kousei's epiphany seem cheap/phony/fake and belittling said situation. If we want to say Kousei forgave Saki, we need to focus on the wrongdoing that is being forgiven, not pretend it didn't happen or gloss over its presence. We don't even have enough evidence to show that Kousei understands he's been abused/wronged in the first place, making any kind of conclusion he comes to inconclusive.

I could even argue that "the shadow of my mother was my imagination" is Kousei implying that his mother wasn't abusive at all.

If there is any character development for Saki, it's speculative rather than substantive. The story itself hasn't shown anything worthy of making the audience change their perspective on Saki (her excuses right after hitting Kousei in public, again, are not applicable). That's been my whole point. This episode was aimed at making the viewer think of Saki as a better person without addressing the abusive situation properly, when that's the entire reason we've been viewing her as a bad person to start with.

bakcheia said:
I don't think Kousei would have felt so conflicted and torn up over his mother's death if he didn't love her so much, and this episode only served to show us the times of kindness and love that Kousei's mother imparted on him that he shut out because he could only remember the pain. They nicely tied in lines that we've heard before like "touching the keys like a baby's head" (or whatever that line is) and the sleeping under piano while his mother played as things that he picked up from being around his mother. NeturalSide listed some other instances above that I feel subtly depicted that Saki wasn't always a terrible parent, Kousei just buried these times under his rightly deserved emotional turmoil. Regardless, I am sure they could have tried to allude more to these instances of love to balance it out more, but those little gestures were definitely some instances of hints in the manga/anime that clued us in to the fact that it wasn't bad all the time for this mother/son relationship (thus why I have a hard time crying "asspull"). There was some good in there too, and as much as Kousei deserves to feel wronged and angry towards his mother and should still feel that way, he has to accept that she was a person who made many awful mistakes and try to move on, little by little, if he wants to grow up. That's easier said than done and this series is trying to show that in my opinion, and I think they are ultimately succeeding. I feel the manga/anime had a true climax and resolution here, and I felt it was well-deserved and a nice payoff.

How is it succeeding in showing Kousei moving on and accepting his mother's flaws when his mother's flaws aren't addressed by him? This is why I'm crying foul over his "recovery". If Kousei is just ignoring what happened rather than addressing it, then this is not forgiveness, but denial, and I wouldn't consider denial to be a good outcome by any stretch.

bakcheia said:
I was never under the impression they were trying to get us to sympathize with Saki, I think they were just trying to show us the breadth of her character. She loved Kousei to the point of suffocating him with her fear, emotionally and physically. I think that context is really important. I do not, however, believe the series was trying to ever make her seem like a good person. Kousei and Hiroko both admonished her in many scenes, and they made an effort to show that here. I feel they were just trying to show that Kousei had to learn that while his mother was cruel to him, she also gave him many gifts and taught him many things (as shown in that scene were he tells Hiroko how she lives on in certain parts of him). Just because he was abused doesn't mean he has to hate his mom for forever and live in the shadow of her brutality, but he can also love parts of her too, and I think that is ultimately what this episode wanted to show us. If Kousei wants to grow and move on like he says, he needs to take what little good from his previous experiences and become his own person, not his mother's puppet.

What breadth? Yet again, it was already implied that she was at one point not abusive, but that's not the point. See the above.

You're saying the show didn't try to make her seem like a good person, then you start talking about all the "good things" she did, which is precisely the show trying to make her seem like a better person. My point is that the "good things" don't negate the "bad things", so there's little point in talking about said "good things". They are beside the point. The point is the abuse. The abuse needs to be addressed. No amount of talking about other aspects of Saki's character will change that the abusive aspect of her character needs to be addressed by the story/Kousei for this to be meaningful/not offensive.

Refusing to address Saki's abusive traits is denial, not forgiveness. Denial is not healthy, and that's what this episode portrayed as a good thing. Hence why this episode is offensive.

This isn't the first time abusive situations have reached improperly positive conclusions in this story, but again, this episode showcased said problem excellently.
Jan 17, 2015 4:31 PM

Jan 2014
Happy to see more of Saki's good side for a change, and learn more about Hiroko's relation with her.

Somewhat dissapointed though at the overall zero plot progression made this episode.

TripleSRank said:

It was an "asspull" from an emotional standpoint; as Alex said, this was flipped at this point for emotional impact, and I find it more insulting than anything. If they were really trying to get us to sympathize with Saki legitimately (Kousei is damaged, so we couldn't quite sympathize in the way he does), then the narrative should have built up to this rather than pulling a sudden reversal at the last moment.

They did. Remember Kousei in the beginning constantly stating that "they never understood he was always the only one on his mother's side"? Then there's also Hiroko, who's always been a sympathetic character, yet seemed to always support Kousei's mother. If Saki was so bad, why would she do that?

Finally, even if they hadn't, anyone could/should have spotted this from a mile away. The problem is that people continue to apply a good-doggy/bad-doggy approach to complex human characters and relations.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Jan 17, 2015 4:45 PM

Nov 2011
MAD_Minori said:
According to that, I heavily recommend reading the ANN review by Rose Bridges, who describes the purpose of this episode in a very detailed and comprehensible way.

I addressed your points in my reply to bakcheia, but I'll try to take a look at this sometime soon. I've had my fill of reading and writing walls of text about Shigatsu for the moment.

MAD_Minori said:
I wonder why we talk so much about Kousei's mother in general. This episode was not about her. It was about Kousei, his performance, his life, and his decision why he wants to be a "weird pianist". This episode is the de facto start of the new cour, which will show Arima as a very own character, rather than someone who gets pushed and abused all time.

Kousei's past and how his mother affected it is a crucial part of who Kousei is, so talking about her is a necessary extension of talking about him, especially considering how often he thinks about her.

Laionidas said:
TripleSRank said:

It was an "asspull" from an emotional standpoint; as Alex said, this was flipped at this point for emotional impact, and I find it more insulting than anything. If they were really trying to get us to sympathize with Saki legitimately (Kousei is damaged, so we couldn't quite sympathize in the way he does), then the narrative should have built up to this rather than pulling a sudden reversal at the last moment.

They did. Remember Kousei in the beginning constantly stating that "they never understood he was always the only one on his mother's side"? Then there's also Hiroko, who's always been a sympathetic character, yet seemed to always support Kousei's mother. If Saki was so bad, why would she do that?

It's natural for a child to love their parent, and it's also natural for a child to not understand that they're being abused, so I don't see how Kousei saying that is supposed to make us sympathize with Saki. As for Hiroko, I don't know. We haven't seen many scenes of her and Saki together after Saki got sick, which could have been useful for showing Saki as being genuinely concerned about Kousei's future, as I noted in my previous post. In the primary scene that is shown, Hiroko scolds Saki for hitting Kousei, so I don't see her as supporting Saki's actions.

Laionidas said:
Finally, even if they hadn't, anyone could/should have spotted this from a mile away. The problem is that people continue to apply a good-doggy/bad-doggy approach to complex human characters and relations.

I agree. Anyone should have spotted this from a mile away. That's why the entire first half of this episode discussion is so sad.

Tbh I'm being a bit sarcastic in my agreement with you. I just think most aren't following this through to its logical conclusion, or if they are, they're stopping part-way.

As for the "good-doggy/bad-doggy" part, you'll have to elaborate more. I'm not sure what you're getting at.
TripleSRankJan 17, 2015 4:51 PM
Jan 17, 2015 5:17 PM

Feb 2014
TripleSRank said:
As for the "good-doggy/bad-doggy" part, you'll have to elaborate more. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

He meant that people are so worried about labeling people as good or evil that forget she is a human (technically ;-)
Jan 17, 2015 5:52 PM

Nov 2011
surfboard_ said:
TripleSRank said:

He meant that people are so worried about labeling people as good or evil that forget she is a human (technically ;-)

Ah. Well I did mention earlier that I wouldn't be this judgmental irl. I'll requote for him.

Thanks for clarifying.

TripleSRank said:
Her actions were evil. I'm don't want to get into whether good people can do evil things, because it's mostly beside the point. I've already acknowledged that she could have changed after this incident (although we have no reason to assume so at this point), but she had a history of abusing Kousei both physically and verbally, so we can't call this specific incident a mistake. She was an abuser. It's just more public in this case; of course she would make excuses.

Also, just in case someone misunderstands, I'm more judging of characters in stories than I am of people in real life. We have a full picture and generally greater understanding of the former, while we usually lack one or both with the latter. I agree that, in real life, to just say someone is an evil person is a lot more weighty and difficult, in part because we aren't in a position to understand someone's life, what they had to go through, what influenced them, what they really think/feel, and so on. Don't confuse my (harsh) criticism of Saki with a criticism of someone you know irl, even though the former relates to the latter.
TripleSRankJan 17, 2015 5:56 PM
Jan 17, 2015 7:29 PM

Mar 2012
And the anime has officially caught up with the pacing, ep. 13 ending right at chap. 26 of the series, which is due to end on chap. 44.

As to whether this whole turnaround with Saki is unnatural: should more have been revealed about Saki's loving nature before this so it doesn't look like she's been whitewashed? Surely. But none of what's presented in ep. 13 is inconsistent with everything beforehand. We already know that some of Saki's images and quotes in Kousei's are inconsistent with each other. It's just that this episode definitively tells us that her loving side came before the onset of her illness and that her abusive side came after, and what the reasons are for the change. I personally would've preferred that Kousei find closure with his mother after Hiroko tells him his mother's side of the story, but I don't think there's anything unnatural with Kousei coming to that realization himself after recalling how his mother played.

Consider that he basically lost track of some memories of his mother after he broke down that day years ago because all he could recall was that he threw the music sheets at his mother in their last encounter. After that he never played again until recently, so it makes sense that everything only came together after his memories were triggered by playing this. Could it have been done better? Yes. But then again, it's hard to pick bones with a series that's delivered so much more already.
Jan 17, 2015 7:33 PM

Oct 2013
Yet another death flag for Kaori, and this one is probably the most alarming yet...

It seems this show is really intent on pushing the point that "abuse is a good thing if you're trying to push someone into doing better for themselves." I understand Kousei's feelings; it was his mother, and this resolution felt like him finally coming to terms with her parting. He had a right to feel how he did. He had a right to look beyond her abuse, accept her, and weep for her.

But the show does great misdeeds by trying to make the viewer think she was right, too.

Aside from that, the pacing in this series is getting atrocious. This was a good episode, but I actually struggled to pay attention during a few moments. This hasn't bothered me in any of the previous episodes, which I thought were beautiful, but it's finally hitting me that it's kind of repeating the same format: character has mental trouble>public music performance>spend 10 minutes of air time having the character fight against his/her trauma and overcome it through a monologue and flashbacks played over the performance>mental trauma dealt with>repeat.

Hopefully the series begins something new rather than nailing the same strategy over and over until it becomes predictable and trite. Then again, considering how many other viewers here said they cried, maybe I'm the only one who finds it's starting to get old. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood to be able to "get into it" this time. Maybe the fact the series is trying to paint child abuse as a good thing if it's "out of love" kept me from really enjoying it. I dunno.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 17, 2015 10:56 PM

Feb 2012
Ehh the moment was ruined when Kousei started crying like a little girl. I hope Kaori dies, I get a hard on for sad shit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2015 11:22 PM

Jul 2009
Since a while back, I have an eerie feeling that Kaori will be "killed off" eventually. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I like this show, but it could really use less repetitive sentences in every single episode. =/
Jan 17, 2015 11:30 PM

Feb 2013
TripleSRank said:

I don't believe she was fearful for Kousei because of the context, the way it was shown to us. I believe that was part of her excuse for abusing him because she was confronted with it. This is part of what I'm saying about the lack of build up, and what (I think) surfboard and Alex are talking about when they're saying the directing is bad. There's no reason to assume what Saki is saying in that scene is genuine. Had we seen more scenes with her showing that it was genuine (perhaps through other perspectives so as to not intrude upon Kousei's epiphany), then this sudden conclusion for Kousei might be okay, but for the viewer/reader they didn't provide enough. It was already implied that she wasn't always abusive, but that's not. the. point.

The point is this: The abusive situation was left entirely unaddressed, making Kousei's epiphany seem cheap/phony/fake and belittling said situation. If we want to say Kousei forgave Saki, we need to focus on the wrongdoing that is being forgiven, not pretend it didn't happen or gloss over its presence. We don't even have enough evidence to show that Kousei understands he's been abused/wronged in the first place, making any kind of conclusion he comes to inconclusive.

I could even argue that "the shadow of my mother was my imagination" is Kousei implying that his mother wasn't abusive at all.

If there is any character development for Saki, it's speculative rather than substantive. The story itself hasn't shown anything worthy of making the audience change their perspective on Saki (her excuses right after hitting Kousei in public, again, are not applicable). That's been my whole point. This episode was aimed at making the viewer think of Saki as a better person without addressing the abusive situation properly, when that's the entire reason we've been viewing her as a bad person to start with.

She clearly expresses fear and a regret for dying well before her time when she is alone on her death bed, wondering what Kousei's life will be like after her death and wishing "she could have stayed with him longer". And that is internal monologue, so unless she is lying to herself, I don't really see how this scene does anything else other than to substantiate the sentiments she expresses to Hiroko about fearing for his future (and a heavily implied fear of death). The scenes are included for a reason, and this anime has never really provided us with a cause to ever question the validity of a character's internal monologue. Even still, Saki was quietly telling Hiroko about most of her fears for Kousei right after she fell in a very emotional voice. It didn't seem like she was being insincere to make excuses in public, especially since the version of this scene in this episode shows no one around them at the time of the confession. With this context, I would have to disagree with your view of the whole situation, and wonder when the anime ever led you to assume there was a reason to question any character's genuineness in the first place. If you feel that way, that is fine. But I see no reason why we should question how authentic she is in these moments, she is clearly at a breaking point and finally answering Hiroko's accusations. I felt (along with quite a few other people on here) that they provided enough to think she was honest in what she said, so the whole "they didn't provide enough" argument is a matter of opinion I suppose.

And again, how is this episode trying to make us think she is a better person? They include scenes from Hiroko's perspective where Hiroko calls Saki a bad mother, and we even see the ones of Kousei crying and afraid after losing his ability to hear the piano, which has been shown to be symptomatic of his abuse and pain. I doubt they would include scenes like this if they wanted us to do a complete 180 and think Saki was mother of the year and that Kousei was wrong to ever feel traumatized by her abusive behavior, because they only serve as reminders to us of Saki's abusive side and its effects.

TripleSRank said:
How is it succeeding in showing Kousei moving on and accepting his mother's flaws when his mother's flaws aren't addressed by him? This is why I'm crying foul over his "recovery". If Kousei is just ignoring what happened rather than addressing it, then this is not forgiveness, but denial, and I wouldn't consider denial to be a good outcome by any stretch.

His mother's flaws have been clearly addressed at length in past episodes through flashbacks that are told in his point of view... so how isn't that his mother's flaws being addressed by him? They weren't resolved at these previous times, but the same flashbacks have been played and reflected upon over and over by Kousei. As you have acknowledged, we've seen the awful sides of mother for the majority of the season. Kousei has attempted to move past his mother's influence primarily by trying to find why he is playing, and playing for Kaori has kind of been the driving force behind that. In this episode, he played a song he initially associated with his mother when she wasn't ill and, as far as I can tell from what we are shown, not abusive (even though these would both change and his emotional ties would too). By playing the song, and through the various flashbacks, it seems pretty implied that this is his way of addressing the issue. His mother was a pretty terrible person, but he had to see all sides of her before he could begin to move on. It could go as far as forgiveness, it could also be denial, but he isn't letting her control his life as strongly anymore and that is moving on a little bit. If he all of a sudden got his hearing back magically this episode and was super happy, I would feel annoyed by the whole situation. But clearly, letting go of the ghost of his mother was just a step on the path of acceptance.

TripleSRank said:
What breadth? Yet again, it was already implied that she was at one point not abusive, but that's not the point. See the above.

You're saying the show didn't try to make her seem like a good person, then you start talking about all the "good things" she did, which is precisely the show trying to make her seem like a better person. My point is that the "good things" don't negate the "bad things", so there's little point in talking about said "good things". They are beside the point. The point is the abuse. The abuse needs to be addressed. No amount of talking about other aspects of Saki's character will change that the abusive aspect of her character needs to be addressed by the story/Kousei for this to be meaningful/not offensive.

Refusing to address Saki's abusive traits is denial, not forgiveness. Denial is not healthy, and that's what this episode portrayed as a good thing. Hence why this episode is offensive.

This isn't the first time abusive situations have reached improperly positive conclusions in this story, but again, this episode showcased said problem excellently.

The "breadth" being the fact that they tried to round out her character more so she is more developed. She is still an abuser and there is no denying that, but, as you said, it was only implied that she wasn't abusive before, and now we got to see more of the times when she wasn't. It just fills her out as a highly problematic, abusive human being, not a creepy faceless ghost of Kousei's past. I'm saying the show didn't try to make her a good person, and I said that the good things don't negate the bad things already. It is trying to depict Saki as a PERSON who isn't one-dimensional, or able to fit into some binary of good vs. evil. She is complex. Saki was terrible and was abusive to her son, but it was implied that this abuse wasn't a constant, so it was necessary to see the love between mother and son to understand her as a whole, even though that whole was ruined by her awful actions. Knowing that she did a few good things for her child doesn't change the fact that she was horrible, or make it seem like they are trying to make her character less alienating.

Kousei never says he forgives his mother either, he is just saying that he "is moving forward", rather than dwelling in his mother's shadow. I think there is a distinct difference in that. I don't think this episode was trying to tightly wrap up all of his complications with his mother, but rather signify some sort of paradigm shift in Kousei where he won't let his being a victim of abuse control him as greatly anymore. I personally felt like they focused a lot on his abuse this season to the point where I didn't need to see so much of it this episode to know that Kousei was trying to move past the point of letting it rule him. I think he is teaching himself how to cope with the pain and take some control of it. I didn't need an Evangelion style two-episode finale showing Kousei re-hashing scenes of his abuse to understand he was trying to move on.

Regardless, clearly you found the depiction of abuse here offensive, and you are totally entitled to that. We obviously have different opinions on how this show depicted its MC's abuse and attempt to get over said abuse. Thanks for the thoughtful debate on the subject. :) I think we've both expounded upon our ideas to the point where I have conveyed how I feel more than enough, so I doubt I will respond anymore because I don't have any more to say than I already have.

See you around. :)
bakcheiaJan 17, 2015 11:59 PM
Jan 18, 2015 1:44 AM

Sep 2013
oh my god, kaori :(
Jan 18, 2015 3:42 AM

Jan 2014
TripleSRank said:
In the primary scene that is shown, Hiroko scolds Saki for hitting Kousei, so I don't see her as supporting Saki's actions.

She is NOT supporting Saki's actions, but she IS supporting Saki. Those are two different things and the latter does suggest there is at least some positive side to Saki. This is how things have been throughout the show, from Hiroko's perspective, but also from Kousei's or our own. Kousei might not have understood the abuse, but he certainly didn't appreciate it either.

On a side note -and it may sound a bit strange- abuse in a music-educational context is a tad different. It's not in any way "better" I guess, but it is quite common and to some degree (this "some degree" is important, and Saki's abuse definitely crosses a line) accepted as it stems from the music rather than the person. Most good music teachers/mentors I know have something about them, they're neurotics, alcoholics, are verbally, passive and or physically agressive, etc. Music tends to both require and unlock a lot of emotions and musicians, especially the geniuses, suffer the side effects of this which, at varying times, can be both a blessing and a curse.

Zadion said:
Yet another death flag for Kaori,..

She has a Neurenberg amount of death flags over her head by now, to be honest I stopped counting them. At this point it would almost make a bigger impact if she would NOT die.
LaionidasJan 18, 2015 3:47 AM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Jan 18, 2015 4:18 AM

Feb 2014
Hopefully this is the last time we see him have a freak out on stage and I think it will be, 3-4 times is enough (move the story forward already).

I see a lot of people got sad this episode, did not affect me much.
Jan 18, 2015 5:14 AM

Mar 2013
I think everybody here made his/her point on Saki's character and personnality.
TripleS, bakcheia, Laionidas and tingy made their points clearly and we had a nice long debate on the matter. (I may have forgotten some people, my bad ^^)
But let's not forget that this episode wasn't about Saki, but about Kousei's ability to move on.

Anyways, I personally wanted to say that I want to see the next episode even more than before, after all these 12 pages I've been reading this past hour. It'll be interesting to see what you guys will say about the next epiosode on the forum. I think I'll come around again.
Jan 18, 2015 8:14 AM

Feb 2014
AidoWand said:
But let's not forget that this episode wasn't about Saki, but about Kousei's ability to move on.

Nobody cares about pompous characters. Discussing Saki is a lot more substantial, even if it was carried on based in misunderstandings.
Jan 18, 2015 11:11 AM
Jan 2014
I'm surprised one of the characters hasn't been crushed to death by the weight of her death flags. I mean really there are quite a few.
Jan 18, 2015 11:44 AM

Aug 2013
Hey Shigutsam stop fucking with us with all those death flags already! Stop basically telling us that she will freaking die! How am I suppose to deal with all these feels??!! Fuck you fuck you fuck you!!!!
/rant

I really want to know what was Kousei mom illness. The way they do the superposition, it seem so obvious that they have a similar disease. Is it even curable? Honestly, I think that this part lack a tiddy bit of subtelity. On the other hand, I guess they do that to keep the watcher interested, its some very effective cliffhangers.

He finally made peace with his mother. I won't excuse the mother and I'll never say that she can be pardonned for how she beaten him, but my, what a tragic end she had. Must it be shitty to die drowning in your own sadness... I'm more glad for Kosei to have been able to turn the page. Even if when he turn a page, another trial appear... I think he may be secretly the Grim Reaper.

It was really touching when he started to cry in Hiroko arms. It was very powerful, and especially the voice acting. Kousei bawling seemed really realistic and the way Hiroko chocked on her last sentence made my heart skip a beat. Also, Koharu really is the most adorable thing ever :3

It made me laugh a bit when he was talking about his habits and said that he often crush the pedal too much x')
I have the same habit when playing piano so I know what he's talking about :P

Ahhhhh, you know what? Fuck it. I'm sorry guys, I lost against myself. I lost the fight aaaaand I'll spoil the fuck out of myself. Fuuuuuck it, I can't bear it, all those cliffhanger are too much. Either she ends up dead or not, whatever happens to her, I just want to be at peace and turn the page, just like Kousei did with his mom x'(
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 18, 2015 3:51 PM

Mar 2013
surfboard_ said:
AidoWand said:

Nobody cares about pompous characters. Discussing Saki is a lot more substantial, even if it was carried on based in misunderstandings.

Oy oy oy, what's going on here ? You have to get angry to make your point ? What the hell ...
Jan 18, 2015 3:53 PM

Jul 2012
AidoWand said:
surfboard_ said:

Oy oy oy, what's going on here ? You have to get angry to make your point ? What the hell ...

Just a typical conversation in the Shigatsu subforums.

No surprise there.

Please behave yourselves. That goes to both the extreme haters as well as the extreme fanboys.

And if anyone starts calling any character or MAL user an "emo faggot", I will actually hunt chu down.
Jan 18, 2015 4:42 PM

Feb 2014
AidoWand said:

Just spicing things up for another round of shitposting, mon cher compagnon.
Jan 18, 2015 10:29 PM
Jul 2018
His mother was so beautiful, I love seeing baby Kousei and their interactions before she became sick. I do understand her a little bit better now but it's still not okay to treat him that way. He was finally able to play normally and I'm so glad he could.

Jan 19, 2015 2:13 AM

Jan 2014
We got to see Saki's (Kousei's mother) face clearly this time. A clear symbolism here. We got to see the real reasons of Saki's action towards Kousei. She was definitely just being a mother, regardless of people's opinion. Well, that's life. I can't say her decisions are wrong.

Honestly though I always expected for Saki's ghost to appear with grin every time Kousei plays in the deep ocean (damn those episodes). Kinda laughed when I realized that.

5/5

Jan 19, 2015 2:54 AM

Dec 2014
Gr33ncar said:
couldnt stop crying
heck yea a lot of feels ;_; well anyway that was a splendid performance! and for Tsubaki oh gosh
Jan 19, 2015 3:36 AM

Dec 2014
I spent half of chapter holding back my tears ;__;
It was very emotional. The end leaves you in suspense, I don't want Kaori-chan to die TT^TT
Jan 19, 2015 6:07 AM

Oct 2013
Best episode yet, 10/10!
Seeing the struggle of a parent who know's she doesn't have much time and wants to leave her child with everything she can give him, but overdoes it to the point of abusing him, was heartbreaking. I always love the theme of good intentions leading to sorrow and the way it was presented in "Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso" up until now, showing Saki as the "villain" and with EP. 13 finally reavealing her true intend, was nothing short of fantastic.
Adding to that the emotions when Arima exepts his mothers gift, thus forgiving her and himself for what they have done to each other, was touching to the extreme of me actually crying a little.
An absolutly stunning episode!
Jan 19, 2015 4:27 PM

Jul 2012
EeveeRain said:
Tsubaki is falling in love with Kousei?

It started a long time ago, buddy!
Jan 20, 2015 6:58 AM

Dec 2013
Vexper said:
They should really get that window replaced.

(This is from page 2 but to hell with it XD)
Why even bother? They JUST got it replaced before and she broke it again so I think they just gave up XD

Man, Those feels bro... WHen you despise a character but realise she was really nice and loving :(
I really think she might die at the end of the anime. I hope not but I could kinda see it happening :/
Jan 20, 2015 7:15 AM

Nov 2011
bakcheia said:

Sigh. Pointing out that we both have opinions doesn't change anything. I was trying to get to the source of why I think the depiction was offensive, and why you/others don't think it is. It's starting to look like it would take a scene-by-scene analysis to do so, but that's not going to be possible if I or others start bailing out.

Even so, I'm willing to let it drop here if you/others aren't interested in talking about this further. Since my reply a handful of users have expressed similar sentiments as my own, and more have at least taken a middle-ground stance as opposed to the "feels" stance, so it does seem like something has come out of the discussion.

If anyone wants to pick up where bakcheia left off, or wants me to address his points anyway, I don't mind doing so. This is admittedly taking more effort to unearth than I thought it would, so I can understand the desire to let it be.

Edit:
Shadowsnake777 said:
Man, Those feels bro... WHen you despise a character but realise she was really nice and loving :(

Case in point.

My claim about the presentation isn't just related to my dislike of the series. The majority of viewers are reacting like this.

She wasn't really nice and loving, dear "feels" viewers. She wasn't.
TripleSRankJan 20, 2015 7:20 AM
Jan 21, 2015 4:18 AM

Dec 2013
TripleSRank said:

Case in point.

My claim about the presentation isn't just related to my dislike of the series. The majority of viewers are reacting like this.

She wasn't really nice and loving, dear "feels" viewers. She wasn't.

I meant by her actions. It's called tough love. All I really meant by that was she wasn't JUST thinking about herself the whole time.
(plus I didn't mean just "feels" about the mother as well, all I really meant was that it creates a lot of emotion and such)
No need to get so worked up over it XD
Shadowsnake777Jan 21, 2015 5:11 AM
Jan 21, 2015 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
Abuse ≠ tough love.

I have nothing more to say to that, for now.
Jan 21, 2015 2:33 PM

Jan 2014
Well, that was kinda nice. Better than the previous episode at least :)
Jan 21, 2015 3:44 PM

Feb 2013
The violinst playing after him made me worry a bit, as I only wanted to hear Kaori playing. Good thing it only lasted 10 seconds. xD
Jan 22, 2015 2:57 AM
Dec 2012
I honestly pinked away a tear xD.
I'm realy loving this anime!!!
I hope they release an OST because man i'm getting eargasms.
Jan 22, 2015 6:10 AM

Apr 2008
This was a great episode! I even teared up a bit, which I knew would happen sooner or later with this anime. Death flags for sure! She just lives her life with little regard for the future. Poor Kousei... how will he handle this?

Jan 22, 2015 10:10 AM

May 2010
Now Arima is talking! I like his development.

Don't make me feel bad for his mother now, damn... So she did it all for his sake. Still think abuse wasn't necessary but... well it makes sense somewhat.

Gotta love Emi, she is so proud of her boy.

Finally a very good episode. The death flags are sad.
Jan 22, 2015 3:55 PM

Jan 2010
The Feels >.< good episode though
"Do you have any idea how stupid we are? Don't underestimate us!"
-Gintama
Jan 23, 2015 2:13 PM

Dec 2008
Beautiful episode.
Although, I now have an understanding of Kousei's mother's motivations, I still despise her and how she went about it.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 23, 2015 7:08 PM

Jun 2013
For me, it was the best part of the manga

Not really the great adaptation I was expecting, seemed rushed :/
Feb 4, 2015 8:05 PM

Oct 2007
It felt like a mess. The music went on its own way and the backstory went the other way. And then we were supposed to feel impressed by his performance when it was not.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Feb 8, 2015 7:42 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Magnificent performance by Kousei. He left them speechless and stole the spotlight.

Lol at Emi midway in Kousei's performance.

Seems like Kaori is in the hospital. She's giving off a DF vibe.

Feb 13, 2015 7:34 PM

Jul 2012
This show needs to chill the fuck out with yelling at me that Kaori's going to die. I don't think I can handle that.

In the end, it turns out that Kousei's mom kept pushing him because she really did care for him. But I still completely disagree with how she pushed him.

"What a beautiful conclusion of Kousei's inner struggle with his mother."
Feb 15, 2015 10:47 PM

Aug 2010
Nice story about Kousei and his mom~ Though im worried for Kousei now that he knows Kaori is sick...
Feb 18, 2015 1:39 PM
Jun 2013
I'm sorry but there's no type of sympathy I can really give to his mother. They can try to portray another side of her character as much as they want but I still think she was terrible.

I am incredibly happy that Kousei is overcoming his struggles. At times, this is so hard to watch (it's so negative and disturbing!) but hearing how the Kreisler turned out and how it was received from the crowd, it evens itself out.

The little comedic scenes that they keep putting in between motions are funny, but for me it's beginning to take away from the seriousness of certain scenes and events. In this episode especially, they are not placed well in my opinion. It kinda makes light of all of the whole build up and resolution of the episode. They make me feel all these emotions when he's on stage playing his heart heart out, finding himself, then immediately after these mini comedy moments...They're not necessarily bad, but it's just too many.
Feb 22, 2015 4:26 AM

Dec 2012
If kaori dies I'll change my rating from 8 to 6

Feb 22, 2015 9:39 PM

Jun 2008
TripleSRank said:
surfboard_ said:

Being able to be faithful to a story isn't a factor of talent or quality. If all you do is follow the story as it is, you're mediocre.
Moving to the anime, everything is pompous and overdramatic. Its so overworked that, like someone said before in this forum, nothing can speak for itself. Its just a "spectacle" for those that don't want to think much. The dialogues are over poetic to the point it becomes nothing but a decoration. Do you remember the episode where Kousei performed that Chopin piece in the competition? They couldn't handle all that slideshow, to the point they had to include strings and repeat the same phrase over and over and over for as long as they could (which for me it was just a way to fit the 24 minute format). As much as it hurts, this anime is nothing but a commercial project, just like many other.

Although I do agree the metaphors, poetic language, and so on go overboard, I don't think it would bother me nearly as much had Kousei's character and the thematic aspects of the show been developed better.

Stop trying to make yourself sound deep. You ain't fooling anyone. You are just some spoiled kid in his SJW face getting offended by the one and other. Thematics aspects and blah blah blah. You couldn't even figure that the show makes no statement about good or bad in term of hitting him. Seriously shut up.
Especially that first post, so much wasted useless annoying mumbling to say a simple "i got the feeling it was making excuses about the abuse".
MonadFeb 23, 2015 2:31 AM
Feb 27, 2015 5:02 AM
Nov 2014
Beautiful ep, made me teary abit.
Feb 27, 2015 6:00 PM

Nov 2014
Noo Kaori please don't :(

Glad to see Kousei finally saying goodbye to his mom
Hi there
Mar 14, 2015 9:50 PM

Apr 2009
Well the mother's not so bad anymore now that we see her true side, IMHO the violence part from her is still unjustified. OK the last scene is I'm sure intended to mirror her mother's case and we're all assuming (given the hints we all got) where this would all lead, and we all hope and pray we're all wrong. >_<
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 17, 2015 10:37 AM

Dec 2013
Holy shit, the death flags. Powerful episode, and the second ending as well, it just amplifies everything.
Mar 20, 2015 3:49 PM

Mar 2012
Sure, lets just forget how she constantly beat the crap out of a kid for making simply mistakes just because of a few flashbacks saying nice things about her. Speaking of flashbacks, they really need to tone them down....

I bet on his next performance he's gonna screw up again.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
Apr 23, 4:46 AM

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.