Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people hate how Americans change cultural things like food?

New
Dec 23, 2014 10:44 PM

Oct 2013
Honestly, who cares if Americans add meatballs to their f*cking spaghetti? Who cares if Americans added in fortune cookies to the chinese menu? I'm sick of hearing people complain about this. Meatballs taste good with spaghetti and fortune cookies are fun to read. I don't care if it wasn't part of the original menu from the original country.
I'd go with emobubbles, but someone else already had it, damn bastard.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 23, 2014 10:48 PM

Jan 2013
Food reflects a persons culture. Its like abridging a translated work. You lose something in the translation. Also for the locals its an insult.

In someways, say you have a Panda as example. Then I buy a black bear and paint white spots on it and go LOOK I HAVE ONE TOO!"

It cheapens it.
Dec 23, 2014 10:53 PM

Oct 2013
How can people complain about this? McDonalds serves a completely different menu in its home country................................
Dec 23, 2014 10:54 PM

Nov 2013
The only thing that annoys me a little, is how Americans change the spelling and pronunciation of many English words, just to suit themselves.
[center][size=85][b]MAL Interviews[/size] | [/size][size=85][b]MAL's Chatting Corner | [size=85][color=darkviolet]If you wear Caesar's clothes, you have to behave like Caesar.[/color][/size][/b]
Dec 23, 2014 10:55 PM

Jun 2014
Same reason why some hate anime dubbed: Its not the original.
Dec 23, 2014 10:56 PM

Oct 2013
RedArmyShogun said:
Food reflects a persons culture. Its like abridging a translated work. You lose something in the translation. Also for the locals its an insult.

In someways, say you have a Panda as example. Then I buy a black bear and paint white spots on it and go LOOK I HAVE ONE TOO!"

It cheapens it.

I honestly think that spaghetti with meatballs is of higher quality than spaghetti without meatballs though. If you change something, you don't automatically cheapen it. In fact, you can actually make it better. The original isn't always going to be better than its remakes. Also, things are going to change overtime. Food has probably changed over the past thousand years. So there should be no need to be against changes made in food. The eating experience would be dull if we didn't experiment with new ingredients every once in a while. You gotta change things up, otherwise, you would get sick of eating the same thing.
Dec 23, 2014 10:57 PM

Oct 2013
God-of-Harem said:
The only thing that annoys me a little, is how Americans change the spelling and pronunciation of many English words, just to suit themselves.

The American language branched off from the British language and evolved a little. Things like this are bound to happen.

Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Cowboy Bebop: dub>sub
Originals aren't always the best

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ZelotDec 24, 2014 7:35 AM
Dec 23, 2014 11:00 PM

Oct 2013
emoblossom123 said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Exactly. Same with DBZ, Code geass, Full metal Alchemist, Golden Boy, and Great Teacher Onizuka.
Dec 23, 2014 11:01 PM

Jan 2013
God-of-Harem said:
It's called being better than Europoor. And it is
Dec 23, 2014 11:07 PM

Nov 2013
VitaminCaim said:
God-of-Harem said:

Whatever helps disguise your inadequacy.
[center][size=85][b]MAL Interviews[/size] | [/size][size=85][b]MAL's Chatting Corner | [size=85][color=darkviolet]If you wear Caesar's clothes, you have to behave like Caesar.[/color][/size][/b]
Dec 23, 2014 11:09 PM

Oct 2013
God-of-Harem said:
VitaminCaim said:

Whatever helps disguise your inadequacy.

We can all agree that the American herb and fillet sounds way more suave than the British herb and fillet
Dec 23, 2014 11:17 PM

Jun 2014
emoblossom123 said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Being better or worse had nothing to do with my post. I'm saying, people often like the original.
Dec 23, 2014 11:25 PM

Jun 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
And? I know I sure as hell don't like non americanized chinese what is wrong with me enjoying bastardization food? Are you so elitist that someone cannot enjoy something that is not Original? By changing a dish aren't you making it original again?
I have really funny thoughts that no one will get to hear.
Dec 23, 2014 11:36 PM

Mar 2008
Fierce_Deity22 said:
How can people complain about this? McDonalds serves a completely different menu in its home country................................
Yeah no one complains about vegetarian McDonalds in India or Japan having squid ink burgers.

God-of-Harem said:
Actually when it comes to spelling British English is not any more proper than America English because English never had proper standards to begin with its more like a disagreement on what makes sense. Also some American pronunciations are from dialects that developed in parts of the UK. I am unsure how some words got switched around entirely though.

Dec 23, 2014 11:43 PM

Jun 2014
DangerDan said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
And? I know I sure as hell don't like non americanized chinese what is wrong with me enjoying bastardization food? Are you so elitist that someone cannot enjoy something that is not Original? By changing a dish aren't you making it original again?

Whoa, slow down cowboy. Firstly, no need to get offended over nothing. I haven't dissed subs or foods you like to eat. Secondly, I'm just stating the mindset people have. I'm not sure how that makes me elitist or whatever, but okay. It is understandable if someone prefers an original product over a new version because people in general who are fans of something hate to see change in what they like. Thirdly, not really. Once you adjust an original, I'd considered revamped or changed up.

Are you breathing properly now?
Dec 23, 2014 11:45 PM

Oct 2013
Hey no Tswift references here. :^(
Dec 23, 2014 11:45 PM

Jul 2012
DangerDan said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Just shake it off, shake it off.
Because haters Gonna hate.
Dec 24, 2014 12:10 AM

Jan 2013
RedArmyShogun said:

It cheapens it.
not to be anal but pandas I thought were white bears with black spots.
Dec 24, 2014 3:06 AM

Mar 2011
I don't have a problem with it. Its honestly their take on it and only makes the "original" dish all the more exclusive to its region. It would be like getting mad when other countries try to make American cuisine and suck at it. I'm not in America so I don't expect it to be exactly like something I would get from Tennessee.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Dec 24, 2014 3:18 AM
Jun 2014
The only thing I hate is when they say "period" at the end of a sentence.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Dec 24, 2014 3:41 AM

Aug 2014
I dont hate it because it is always interesting to see different version of the same food.
Dec 24, 2014 3:42 AM

Apr 2012
Why are you people only talking about the UK?

Europe is larger, guys.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Dec 24, 2014 3:55 AM
May 2009
No idea what you are talking about. I have accepted that people would add their own twist to food. However most meals are not developed by americans, they were developed by immigrants who had to tailor their food to suit the pallet of which ever country they were in.
Dec 24, 2014 4:08 AM

Aug 2013
Probably because they are jealous and frustrated of the fact that meatballs with spaghetti actually tastes good, and they were too dumb to ever come up with it themselves. Srsly, if you don't like spaghetti with meatballs, or find it insulting, then don't eat spaghetti with meatballs.

But then again, Americans, don't go into the country of origin claiming that your way is the original way.
Dec 24, 2014 4:13 AM

May 2014
I really dont care about where a food comes from as long as its tasty.
I've been here way too long...
Dec 24, 2014 4:19 AM

Mar 2008
Zarbel said:
The only thing I hate is when they say "period" at the end of a sentence.
I'm pretty sure how people talk when using speech recognition software doesn't count.

The only time someone says "period" at the end of a sentence is when shouting at someone and says it as a way to say thats all they have to say after making a point or demand and they do not want to go at it more. Hardly used though.
Dec 24, 2014 4:33 AM

Apr 2014
I had no idea spaghetti and meatballs was an American thing. Thank you USA!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2014 5:42 AM

Sep 2009
Fun fact: almost every 'foreign cuisine' you can buy in any given country is adapted to suit the local palette. Complaining that fortune cookies are not authentic in the average Chinese restaurant is ridiculous since the entire menu is fabricated to suit American tastes.

Of course, there are some restaurants which cater to migrant communities and they are more likely to have the real thing, although even then obtaining certain produce may be difficult.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Dec 24, 2014 5:53 AM

Apr 2013
Immahnoob said:

Europe is larger, guys.
Nobody cares about Italy.
Dec 24, 2014 6:04 AM

Apr 2012
Sloth_ said:
Immahnoob said:

Europe is larger, guys.
That isn't actually the case with Italy being the fifth most visited country...

And I'm not Italian either.

Autocrat said:
Dec 24, 2014 6:10 AM

Mar 2013
WE MAKE THEM BETTER
LOSERS
Dec 24, 2014 6:26 AM

Nov 2012
Immahnoob said:

Europe is larger, guys.
America is larger too. It's not only the united states...
Dec 24, 2014 6:34 AM

Apr 2013
Immahnoob said:
Sloth_ said:

Are you Romanian?
Dec 24, 2014 7:10 AM

Apr 2012
Kimonos said:
Immahnoob said:

Europe is larger, guys.
America is larger too. It's not only the united states...
The OP is talking about the United States.
Sloth_ said:
Immahnoob said:

Are you Romanian?

Yes.

Autocrat said:
Dec 24, 2014 7:21 AM

Jan 2013
pseudoenigma said:
RedArmyShogun said:

It cheapens it.
not to be anal but pandas I thought were white bears with black spots.

Technically correct. However I find my sollution works either way. I just need more paint.

They seem to be a 50-50 mix, and I'll get into less shit kidnapping a black bear than a polar bear as the later has global wildlife protection.

Anyways @ emoblossom123

Thats not the point. Just call it what it is. Americanized Food. Or as is wrote on cans of it I'm fairly sure spaghetti and meatballs. Its not listed just as spaghetti.
Dec 24, 2014 7:24 AM

Jan 2011
Sloth_ said:
Immahnoob said:

Europe is larger, guys.

Nobody cares about 'Merica neither. Anyway, ask all those visitors that come to visit our cities every year (and they are not few). Americans are the first btw, followed by British, Germans and visitors from Far East (China and Japan).
DeathNyxDec 24, 2014 7:39 AM
Dec 24, 2014 7:26 AM

Jun 2008
emoblossom123 said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Nobe it isn't.

Immahnoob said:

Europe is larger, guys.

They are Americans. You should be glad they know UK at least lol. They probably aren't sure about were France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Belgium, Austria, Denmark etc are on the map.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ZelotDec 24, 2014 7:34 AM
Dec 24, 2014 7:32 AM

Nov 2009
God-of-Harem said:
Actually we just reverted back to the Anglo-Saxox's English spelling as opposed to the UK which kept English words that were changed after being influenced by the French . . . Too be honest you could say that Britain did the same thing that America is doing in regards to food in this convo, i.e. they changed the original spelling.
Dec 24, 2014 7:33 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Monad said:
emoblossom123 said:

Nobe it isn't.

Let's not get into subs vs dubs.

It's not that Americanized food is bad, it's just that some people believe Americanized food is authentic. I have seen a lot of people who believe true Chinese food is Kung Pao Chicken and General Tso. Every now and then, I take my friends out to an authentic Chinese restaurant and they get so lost in the menu since they can't find their more familiarized Americanized version of the food.
Dec 24, 2014 7:39 AM

Mar 2013
Lollolol

I agree. People.are way up their own asses about food thats not the same as "insert country here." More than hslf the time they never even been to said country. As a member of an immigrant family who has a restaurant that sells bastardizations of our country's food (Greek), we sell it that way because it sells. At home we will make authentic cuisine but even then its not exactly the same because vegetables grown on the other side of the world taste different then what is offered in NA. My family spends a lot of money to bring over our own olive oil from our own olive trees but it is a luxery we want to splurge on to have food closer to home.

Talk about how things are made back home and people in NA go "ew" because they aren't used to it. Even the most basic ingredients (oil, vegetables, bread, etc) taste vastly different in Greece and you simply can't imitate the food here in NA from that alone, so they add spices not usually used in Greece to give the food more depth of flavour more palpatable to north Americans (also I think the majority of North Americans destroyed their tastebuds with salt and sugar processed shit but thats another matter).
Dec 24, 2014 7:40 AM

Nov 2009
The reason why they "Americanize" food in the first place is because it sells better. Things that are too foreign usually don't sell as well with the general populace as it isn't anything like what they grew up eating and therefore is much more of a "hit or miss" kind of thing. You can find "Authentic" Chinese restaurants all over the place, but don't expect to find an Authentic Chinese chain, since it will never sell well enough to become a chain. However having said that America is by no means the only country that changes other cultures food to align more closely with their own culture. Take a look at a McDonalds menu in Japan . . . You will be surprised to see that the menu is NOT the same.
Dec 24, 2014 7:41 AM

Jun 2014
I like various cuisines from different cultures.

I would never want to be stuck with just the cuisine of my local area, because it all tastes like shit.

Dec 24, 2014 7:45 AM

Aug 2014
because when they change chinese food

ITS NOT CHINESE FOOD ANYMORE
yet they label as such.
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
The reason why they "Americanize" food in the first place is because it sells better. Things that are too foreign usually don't sell as well with the general populace as it isn't anything like what they grew up eating and therefore is much more of a "hit or miss" kind of thing. You can find "Authentic" Chinese restaurants all over the place, but don't expect to find an Authentic Chinese chain, since it will never sell well enough to become a chain. However having said that America is by no means the only country that changes other cultures food to align more closely with their own culture. Take a look at a McDonalds menu in Japan . . . You will be surprised to see that the menu is NOT the same.

Most "Authentic" Chinese Restaurants have an Americanized section in their menu so they can at least appeal to the people who prefer it. My family owns a Vietnamese restaurant and although most of our food is authentic, we do sell fried rice as a "Hey! If you don't like authentic, you can still get the fried rice!".
And no shocker that the majority of people who do get the fried rice are non-asians... or kids.

Apr 2013
it's just food
people need to relax
an egomaniac and a fool

Dec 24, 2014 7:52 AM

Sep 2011
thats retarded cause different places of the worlds also change up food, ever seen some of the hamburgers they sell in japan? Cause some of them sound delicous.

Who gives a fuck if its authentic or not, just if it tastes good. Its usually the imitators that make the better cuisine anyway cause they add things to the formula alot and can find that sweet spot in ingredients to make something tastier.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 24, 2014 8:04 AM

Aug 2014
JizzyHitler said:
thats retarded cause different places of the worlds also change up food, ever seen some of the hamburgers they sell in japan? Cause some of them sound delicous.

Who gives a fuck if its authentic or not, just if it tastes good. Its usually the imitators that make the better cuisine anyway cause they add things to the formula alot and can find that sweet spot in ingredients to make something tastier.

but they don't taste good goddammit.
Dec 24, 2014 8:06 AM

Mar 2013
RedArmyShogun said:

It cheapens it.
As a Greek person living in NA it doesn't insult me that a lot of Greek restaurants here add dill to the lemon-egg sauce anymore than it insults me that some people prefer peanut butter on toast instead of sugar (what I like lol). Different strokes for different folks. Even within your own culture you're going to find people that like things prepared a little differently than the norm. Culture, especially food, isn't a static thing. Like potatoes are a considered a staple now in Greek food but 200 years ago no one in Greece ate potatoes. With globalization culture-sharing is bound to happen and new foods are going to be introduced and created and flavors are going to be combined. You see it all the time on the food network chanel, chefs creating Thai-infused tacos or whatever and its great that we live in a time we're you can try all these great food combinations inspired by two different parts of the globe. You have to be a petty person to look at a Panda Express restaurant and sniffle over "lost culture." No culture was lost. Chinese people are still eating Chinese food in China. If everyone thought like you we'd live in a very stagnant world indeed.
Dec 24, 2014 8:24 AM

Sep 2009
Immahnoob said:

Europe is larger, guys.

The United Kingdom doesn't even want to be part of Europe.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Dec 24, 2014 8:34 AM

Nov 2008
You can find places where they serve authentic cuisine that isn't Americanized if you look hard enough.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you guys actually read the comments on the threads here

tsukareru - May 11

32 by Malkshake »»
14 minutes ago

» Twitter is officially X.com now

deg - Today

24 by Malkshake »»
15 minutes ago

» I showed the music that I've produced to my father, he liked it

weirdmusty7 - Today

16 by Kwanthemaster »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » is marriage compulsory? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 10

74 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
1 hour ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again?

KiraraFan - May 7

31 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.