Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 25, 2014 12:18 PM

Jan 2013
The old battle OST <3
Klein is like me, even if it's an obvious trap, I still need to save the NPC.
Oct 25, 2014 12:22 PM

Dec 2009
Man talk about deja vu, that felt like season 1. Very nice.
Oct 25, 2014 12:39 PM

Aug 2011
what happen to the last part of ending? It just cut off... am i the only one?
Oct 25, 2014 12:43 PM

Nov 2013
The little action that was there was really good.
The story was boring, the dialog (oni-chan) cringe-worthy. Really, when there are so many characters it just becomes a mess; everyone gets a bit of screen time and no one stands out. Kirito x girl is more enjoyable than Kirito x 10 girls at once.
Oct 25, 2014 12:56 PM

Dec 2013
Fight scene + Swordland = Pure awesomeness
They kinda rushed the Minotaur fight scene though...

IT'S A TRAP!
iPinoyOct 25, 2014 1:07 PM
mods are cucks
Oct 25, 2014 12:57 PM
Jun 2011
i was reading this legend and it going to backfire at them big time
Oct 25, 2014 1:01 PM

Sep 2014
elior1 said:
i was reading this legend and it going to backfire at them big time

DO you have short summary on the legend of this tale lol ? Or if anyone else does that would be great.
Oct 25, 2014 1:04 PM

Apr 2014
The OST was so good. Great Episode.
Oct 25, 2014 1:07 PM

May 2014
See SAO, unadulterated action and an epic fantasy plot don't require much.

Some ACTUAL team work, some comedy, in-between exposition about your "game mechanics" which are there for convenience. Just remove Yui and Kirito and this would be perfectly serviceable.
Oct 25, 2014 1:09 PM

Aug 2014
The nostalgia was good, but the episode wasn't anything special. Nevertheless, it wasn't bad, and i actually looked up the legend. Wonder who'll get Excalibur - hey, maybe it won't be the obvious choice.

I'd totally save that Freyja girl, but only for the sake of completion. Klein had other things in mind... little does he know it actually is a trap. Yes, i got spoiled...

3/5. "Swordland" <3
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Oct 25, 2014 1:22 PM

Jul 2010
The hell? That giant wants to marry the tiny Freyja? He even says he has something "in store for her". I don't what to think about what they could possibly do together.

Oct 25, 2014 1:24 PM
Jan 2012
from wat im seeing so far, this story better got the way i think its going to go

though im slightly uminpressed with the fights and the quest. i mean a full dungeon raid like this taking aproximately 1-2 seems weak and the bosses seem uninspiring.

not to make sound off but log horizon's full raid mid bosses seem more epic then these guys and that raid is taking months.
Oct 25, 2014 1:26 PM

Dec 2013
Wow this arc is going njust faster than I imagined. I liked the action I this episode and I'm hyped for next weeks boss fight!
Oct 25, 2014 1:34 PM

Mar 2013
Fight scene was excited but overall kinda boring.
Oct 25, 2014 1:44 PM

Oct 2013
these characters take this game way too seriously. It's not like SAO or GGO where there was actually a threat of dying or anything.

Also, am I the only one who finds it annoying that Asuna went from one of the main attackers in SAO to a background healer in ALO? Don't get me wrong, healing is great, but why Asuna? I know she did the final attack on the minotaur, but for the most part, she just stood back there and chanted a spell once. I would have preferred it if the healing job went to one of the less badass characters such as Sicila or Lizbeth (Heck, Sicila would have been perfect. that dragon of hers was a healer). I guess I'm just a littled irked that Asuna went from kickass swordsgirl to damsel in distress to praying for Kirito in GGO to a healer
I'd go with emobubbles, but someone else already had it, damn bastard.
Oct 25, 2014 1:50 PM

Oct 2013
Log Horizon raid was bettah.... well Log Horizon everything was better but thats not the point....
(well maybe not the Harem aspect, SAO wins that one ^.^

My god, boring bosses, boring raid, boring story. Stupid over-dramatisation..... The in game map will be destroyed! Suguha is like O_O noooooooo, such a shocker, damn, its almost as if their life is on the line...... GM can't restore the map because he aint got the backup? wut, well thats f***ing stupid. What kind of company doesn't backup everything in case of failures? That stupid little b**** is annoying.

A GM should ban Kirito for hacking an item in which is Yui.

Sinon is finally degraded to a background harem member..... well to be fair she gets buttcrack shots so she's more important than some of the others.

Damn I hate Harem anime like this :l
I nearly slept through the entire episode.

Well I guess imma watch a real MMORPG anime instead of SAO which masquarades itself as an MMO anime but it ain't. Its a generic fantasy setting with rare MMO references....
I am a human.
Oct 25, 2014 1:52 PM

Jan 2013
Sword of Fire and Ice!
That's what his fighting reminded me of xD

I like that they made more sword fights again as well as sword skills coming back, but I feel like it's not as epic as normally. Maybe because it's a short arc.
Oct 25, 2014 1:56 PM

Dec 2011
Holy crap... so that cardinal system can destroy the entire map when the time comes :o

Kirito and the gang had a little bit of trouble with minotaur, but they concentrated their attacks and killed it, Kirito looked like a true badass with his sword skills... okay okay, everyone looked badass XD.

Deja vu level: BADASS!

Klein found a girl that he likes... a trap everyone says... hmmm...

So the NPCs name is Freyja and her MP is so high, which makes her a mage.

Dem buffs by Freyja doe...

Since they kept repeating "trap" don't tell... Freyja's actually a guy...

Now that's quite the giant last boss to be honest.

I can't wait to see how their fight is going to pan out next episode.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Oct 25, 2014 1:57 PM

Apr 2013
I guess I liked them visiting a dungeon again and it was interesting seeing the new sword abilities (although I think Starburst stream was better, the fire and ice effects were nice...) Still, the quest storyline is too stupid for me to actually care about anything and well, as good as that battle soundtrack is, it gets repetitive after a while.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 25, 2014 1:59 PM

Jul 2007
AppoX said:
Log Horizon raid was bettah.... well Log Horizon everything was better but thats not the point....

Okay we start with obligatory trollbait. Okay.

My god, boring bosses, boring raid, boring story. Stupid over-dramatisation..... The in game map will be destroyed! Suguha is like O_O noooooooo, such a shocker, damn, its almost as if their life is on the line...... GM can't restore the map because he aint got the backup? wut, well thats f***ing stupid. What kind of company doesn't backup everything in case of failures? That stupid little b**** is annoying.

GMs have no control over this. The thing that should be restoring and backing it up is the thing that is doing the damage now. The AI/system that created the quest. We met Cardinal System in SAO already when it tried to erase Yui.

And yes. An AI system growing capable to self-consciously design something that destroys an entire world(albeit virtual) is danger-worthy.

Sinon is finally degraded to a background harem member..... well to be fair she gets buttcrack shots so she's more important than some of the others.

another trollbait.
Its not like she has shown to be very useful in this fight or something~

Well I guess imma watch a real MMORPG anime instead of SAO which masquarades itself as an MMO anime but it ain't. Its a generic fantasy setting with rare MMO references....

And we finish with a big trollbait of conclusion. 6/10 would not bite the bait again.
Oct 25, 2014 2:06 PM

Jul 2014
Smartninja said:

Klein does know she's only an NPC, right? :P

Kirito and Asuna's daughter is a program that monitored emotions in SAO and is navigation pixie in ALO. Everything is possible in VRMMOs :o
Oct 25, 2014 2:11 PM

Apr 2011
Very good episode. Enjoyed this compared to last week. Cant wait to see the final boss fight its going down.
5/5
Oct 25, 2014 2:12 PM

Feb 2012
Yeee Klein my man finally doing it big.

Boss at the end looked good, hope the fight is epic next week, not Kirito solos him.
Oct 25, 2014 2:13 PM

Dec 2012
Lmao Klein~ xD
Skill connect gives me second thoughts :/
So what happened to Kirito's Dual wielding?
Oct 25, 2014 2:14 PM

Sep 2014
CookingPriest said:
AppoX said:

GMs have no control over this. The thing that should be restoring and backing it up is the thing that is doing the damage now. The AI/system that created the quest. We met Cardinal System in SAO already when it tried to erase Yui.

And yes. An AI system growing capable to self-consciously design something that destroys an entire world(albeit virtual) is danger-worthy.

another trollbait.

And we finish with a big trollbait of conclusion. 6/10 would not bite the bait again.

That actually seems really scary lol. An AI that knows how to destroy things on its own. Question is why did it generate this quest in the first place ? Is the AI feeling threatened by the players or something ? The cardinal system is part of the seed right but why is ALO the only game to fully use it instead of a stripped down version of the seed like other games ?
Oct 25, 2014 2:24 PM

Oct 2013
CookingPriest said:

My God, I criticise an anime and instantly I am a troll -,-. Well I used to like SAO, well I didn't consider it exceptionally good. But good entertainment noneless. But then the SAO arc ended and the author started milking it for money... Now I just watch it to have something to talk about with friends, and comedic value of course.

CookingPriest said:

Oh come on, GMs/admins that have no control over their own game? -,- You telling me some self-conscious AI has more powers over the game than the developers themselves? Ok Cardinal system is for restoring and backing up data. But come on, they should have manual backups in case the cardinal system breaks up.... It shouldn't be a surprise a random quest/area generating AI with powers over virtually everything in the game could do something undesirable and would need fixing. They should have methods of fixing it.... I know its sci-fi but the admins should at least prepare for a problem that was likely to happen sooner or later. (well maybe not at such a large scale)

CookingPriest said:
another trollbait.

Well I didn't intentionally 'trollbait'. I use this site extensively to critique things and say things that piss me off about certain anime. Should I word it a lot friendlier and say "Sinon doesn't get enough screen time anymore. She isn't as important as she used to be...."? though thats an understatement. And her helping in the fight was basically just 5 second long scene of her shooting an arrow. (well I was half asleep so I might've missed something else...)

CookingPriest said:

Well sorry to disappoint you. But 6/10 sounds reasonable. More than I'd rate SAO objectively looking at it.....
I am a human.
Oct 25, 2014 2:33 PM

Oct 2013
T3hSource said:

Some ACTUAL team work, some comedy, in-between exposition about your "game mechanics" which are there for convenience. Just remove Yui and Kirito and this would be perfectly serviceable.

TBH action dragged on in that one fight for me. Still this Arc has been good though I think I would still take the Aincrad arc over this despite its choppy pacing.

AppoX said:
Oh come on, GMs/admins that have no control over their own game? -,- You telling me some self-conscious AI has more powers over the game than the developers themselves? Ok Cardinal system is for restoring and backing up data. But come on, they should have manual backups in case the cardinal system breaks up.... It shouldn't be a surprise a random quest/area generating AI with powers over virtually everything in the game could do something undesirable and would need fixing. They should have methods of fixing it.... I know its sci-fi but the admins should at least prepare for a problem that was likely to happen sooner or later. (well maybe not at such a large scale)
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1295299&show=60#LbxLJBe9poslE1jS.99

The problem is that the creators of ALfheim Online (or rather the remade version of it) did actually not build it from scratch. They built it off the engine which is called the 'seed' as given to Kirito at the end of the first series, which was later distributed for free. While it is unclear how exactly the seed system works what is clear is that games designed on it have to follow its VR rules. In this case, Alfheim can only back up character data not world data. One of the key features of the seed is that AI is allowed to run unhindered as it is the core of its AI programming basics.

Hopefully that make sense and if not think about it as in terms of a computer. Yes, your computer can crash and you can back up your data but if your core breaks down (hard drive), then you are hooped. Yes, in both cases they/you could simply rebuild everything however the likelihood of getting everything the same is low to near impossible. Do you think you could rearrange everything back to the way it was if your harddrive cut out? Personally, I have 3 TB of data which I would be extremely pissed to lose and acquiring everything again would be a pain.
shawnofthedeadzOct 25, 2014 2:43 PM
Oct 25, 2014 2:35 PM

Mar 2012
I could cry listening to SAO's main theme :s So much nostalgia!
Kirito being the boss, as always =D This scene was almost a rip-off of the scene where Kirito almost died against the other monster in Aincrad :p

Pretty interesting episode.
Oct 25, 2014 2:48 PM

May 2010
Was a great episode, lol'ed at Klien as he ignored everyone's warnings but in the end it did pay off with a temp hp boost for the big show down, only time will tell how bad a trap it really was though.
Oct 25, 2014 3:05 PM

Aug 2013
Well, nothing unexpected there. It's sort of staring to remind me of the first season.
Oct 25, 2014 3:08 PM
Feb 2014
Bomb2chest said:

That actually seems really scary lol. An AI that knows how to destroy things on its own. Question is why did it generate this quest in the first place ? Is the AI feeling threatened by the players or something ? The cardinal system is part of the seed right but why is ALO the only game to fully use it instead of a stripped down version of the seed like other games ?

Well Cardinal follows Inet trends and lore and generates quests out of it while only changing some parts so that players can interact with the story themselves. The basics of the story are intact for recognition value.

This obviously has merits and disadvantages. The upside is that the system can come up with new quests on its own without having anybody thinking about those all the time (plus implementing them, bugtesting, etc.) .

This is important as ALO is not run by a big company as it was before but privately by only a few people (they formed a small company called Ymir). After what happened with Sugou no big company would like to touch ALO for years until the storm surrounding it calms down.

The downside is shown during this quest, Cardinal can actually destroy ALO if it gets a "bad" input.

As for why only ALO uses it in its full form is simply for gameplay reasons.

Cardinal was originally developed for SAO (the game, before it became a death trap), hence it has a good affinity to roleplaying games.

On the other hand things like quest creation wouldn't make that much sense in GGO e. g., a PvP (mostly) and PvE (secondary) game without real quests.
Oct 25, 2014 3:09 PM

Oct 2012
I am very very pleased by how very few things SAO 2 has skipped from the LN. I'm just surprised this Arc was 3 episodes instead of 2, considering the next one is much longer than Excalibur.
Oct 25, 2014 3:22 PM
Jan 2012
AppoX said:
CookingPriest said:

Actually

i agree that the log horizon raids felt better, more detailed battles and the bosses were really tough, took those guys 10+ tries to kill one. these bosses were pussies by comparison, taking only the first try and a cheating device to kill.
Oct 25, 2014 3:28 PM

Sep 2014
Caleb8980 said:
Bomb2chest said:

Well Cardinal follows Inet trends and lore and generates quests out of it while only changing some parts so that players can interact with the story themselves. The basics of the story are intact for recognition value.

This obviously has merits and disadvantages. The upside is that the system can come up with new quests on its own without having anybody thinking about those all the time (plus implementing them, bugtesting, etc.) .

This is important as ALO is not run by a big company as it was before but privately by only a few people (they formed a small company called Ymir). After what happened with Sugou no big company would like to touch ALO for years until the storm surrounding it calms down.

The downside is shown during this quest, Cardinal can actually destroy ALO if it gets a "bad" input.

Cardinal was originally developed for SAO (the game, before it became a death trap), hence it has a good affinity to roleplaying games.

On the other hand things like quest creation wouldn't make that much sense in GGO e. g., a PvP (mostly) and PvE (secondary) game without real quests.

Thanks a lot of that makes sense. One last question though. What would cause the Cardinal to generate a bad quest or a bad input ?
Oct 25, 2014 3:38 PM
Jan 2012
Bomb2chest said:

Thanks a lot of that makes sense. One last question though. What would cause the Cardinal to generate a bad quest or a bad input ?

I dont think it's necessary a "bad" input. the program is designed to generate quest and judgin from it's authority it doesnt really seem to have boundaries of desireable or undesireable quest, thats probbably the GM or developer's job to monitor.

and
Oct 25, 2014 3:46 PM

Mar 2009
T3hSource said:

Yep. This is the Sword Art Online I actually like. No bullshit, no drama, no female characters being useless and/or getting molested. Just the characters going through the levels, taking down enemies. The rest of the series should have been like this.

And it's always good to see Klein.
Oct 25, 2014 3:51 PM

Aug 2014
Bomb2chest said:
Caleb8980 said:

Well.. I can't give a good explanation and I'm not even sure if this is the right answer for your 'last question' but... The Cardinal simply make quests by Travelling the network, gaining information on legends, while changing it a bit so the players can feel that they are part of the legends. Wheter it is good or bad, the Cardinal is not in fault, afterall it's not a human. It merely do its work of making quests from collected infomation.

Basically, the answers is the information it gains. You understand? If not, please read more about Norse Mythologies.
I love Minimalist Arts. Such Simplicity, yet hold so much Meanings to me.
Oct 25, 2014 4:05 PM

May 2013
I think it's funny to see everyone be like "Oh, Klein is hitting on a girl... how can he? It's a definitly a trap!" standing there... as Kirito's harem squad... because god forbid anyone besides Kirito liking a girl or a girl liking someone else than Kirito.
"The fool who believed in miracles now walks among the dead." ~ Blade of the Phantom Master
Oct 25, 2014 4:08 PM

Sep 2014
Michael5191 said:
Bomb2chest said:

Well.. I can't give a good explanation and I'm not even sure if this is the right answer for your 'last question' but... The Cardinal simply make quests by Travelling the network, gaining information on legends, while changing it a bit so the players can feel that they are part of the legends. Wheter it is good or bad, the Cardinal is not in fault, afterall it's not a human. It merely do its work of making quests from collected infomation.

Basically, the answers is the information it gains. You understand? If not, please read more about Norse Mythologies.

So essentially the quest is not bad in the AI eyes but it just happened to be a random quest that can be bad ? If so that makes sense seeing as if they fail the the game land will be destroyed and if they pass the game land is safe.
Oct 25, 2014 4:24 PM

Mar 2013
"Listen to what Yui says."
This is clearly bullshit now.
How come their party have an advantage of having an administrator-type person on their side telling them shit like weaknesses and back-story?
On a side note, Klein was the star in this episode. Not that I'm complaining, I'm tired of Kirito taking all the glory anyways.
Oct 25, 2014 4:29 PM

Oct 2013
Shiba- said:
How come their party have an advantage of having an administrator-type person on their side telling them shit like weaknesses and back-story?
On a side note, Klein was the star in this episode. Not that I'm complaining, I'm tired of Kirito taking all the glory anyways.

She's no different from raid addons that give timers and stuff.

In fact, in ALO you can actually get such assistant fairies, but obvious those won't be AIs.
Oct 25, 2014 4:36 PM

Mar 2013
Rinth said:
Shiba- said:

In fact, in ALO you can actually get such assistant fairies, but obvious those won't be AIs.
Yes, but isn't is as clear as day that Yui doesn't behave and act like the other assistant fairies?
I just can't possibly see such fairies exist like Yui in that game..
Oct 25, 2014 4:40 PM

Feb 2011
I'm so happy people are using the wikia :)

On another note Yui is what is considered a Top-Down AI, this becomes a key difference after MR arc but that isn't important for now.
Oct 25, 2014 4:42 PM

Jul 2012
Another awesome episode continuing from the last episode which I also liked. It ended right before the boss battle so it's gonna be hard to wait for the next episode but at least I'm excited about the next episodes of this anime again, I wasn't excited for the next episodes during the first cour of this season.
Oct 25, 2014 4:43 PM

Oct 2013
Shiba- said:
Rinth said:

Yes, but isn't is as clear as day that Yui doesn't behave and act like the other assistant fairies?
I just can't possibly see such fairies exist like Yui in that game..

Of course not. When Yui was first summoned into ALO in season 1, she said she's disguising herself as an assistant fairy.

What a normal assistant fairy can still do though is provide raid messages & boss timers like raid addons in real world MMOs.

dim100 said:
I'm so happy people are using the wikia :)

On another note Yui is what is considered a Top-Down AI, this becomes a key difference after MR arc but that isn't important for now.

The difference between a top-down AI and a bottom-up AI is quite interesting by itself.
RinthOct 25, 2014 4:46 PM
Oct 25, 2014 5:14 PM

Jun 2014
This is retarded. Am i supposed to care if a game map is destroyed? ITS A G A M E fuck outta here with that shit. This anime is going down the drain please no season 3. And CookingPriest and others out here in another thread telling me how great this half will be.. Lmao
Oct 25, 2014 5:18 PM
Sep 2013
i miss swordland ;_; glad to hear it again..

they explain everything here before entering MR, which is good.

Hmm this kind of SAO story (with a lot of battle) is not bad, though that i liked SAO with psychological aspect more, like in GGO where they talked alot. I think that makes SAO story better

Qans said:
This is retarded. Am i supposed to care if a game map is destroyed? ITS A G A M E fuck outta here with that shit. This anime is going down the drain please no season 3. And CookingPriest and others out here in another thread telling me how great this half will be.. Lmao

they mean the last 7 episode, maybe.
hahailham1Oct 25, 2014 5:21 PM
Oct 25, 2014 5:24 PM

Jun 2014
-Resident- said:
CookingPriest said:
In before anime secondaries calling this "filler" and missing obvious foreshadowing and build-up everywhere.

Funny thing is, I find this mini-arc to be the most enjoyable one yet, when compared to the rest (anime-wise). It doesn't take itself overly serious, focuses on game mechanics, teamplay and worldbuilding. That's all SAO should have been about, in my humble opinion anyway. Add in the norse mythology to the mix and you've got yourself an enjoyable experience.

Sad to see that it's so short. I hope i'll at least enjoy the next one.

My feelings exactly. I love when they focus on the game!
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Oct 25, 2014 5:25 PM

Dec 2013
Fucking boring once again
Oct 25, 2014 5:50 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode. That combo attack at the start was great.
Lol at Klien falling for the girl and everyone saying its a trap.
Time to fight Thrym. This is going to be tough.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Karoshi- - Dec 20, 2014

618 by MinaseNagi »»
Apr 17, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2014

958 by maki_evergarden »»
Mar 17, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2014

762 by minu11 »»
Jan 26, 5:10 AM

» While you're watching Season 2

Bijou146 - Jan 14

23 by katnissmaezie »»
Jan 24, 11:11 PM

» Do Kirito and Asuna's romance get developed further in this season and subsequent seasons? ( 1 2 )

holo-simp - Jul 20, 2023

51 by qnqel »»
Jan 5, 4:49 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.