Forum Settings
Forums

Lesser of Two Evils: Studio Pierrot or Toei Animation?

New
Oct 6, 2014 1:46 AM

Jan 2014
When someone asked me, which highly popular animation studio gets a bad rap of adapting its source material? Two studio comes to mind: Toei and Pierrot.

Continuing from the previous thread about Toei Animation, which studio do you think is the lesser evil between these two: Pierrot or Toei? By lesser evil, I mean which is the " lesser bad" between the two of them in terms of anime adaptation, quality and critical acclaim.

Toei Animation - One Piece,Slam Dunk, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Toriko

Studio Pierrot - Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tokyo Ghoul, Kingdom, Bleach

Both of these studio animate two long popular running shounens (Naruto and One Piece), and in the past few years, both of them get the flak for their inconsistent animation (off-model), bad adaptation and padding. In Pierrot's case , it's fillers and Toei's case. its shoddy animation quality. Or Both

So, who would you choose? Why.
peeyajOct 6, 2014 1:50 AM
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2014 1:52 AM

Jan 2009
Yu Yu Hakusho's animation can still be compared to modern long running anime, same is true with Bleach the animation of Bleach is not that totally bad so i choose Studio Pierrot
Oct 6, 2014 1:54 AM
Dec 2013
Hard one. All the adaptions for Perriot's side have had better animations such as the fight scenes in Naruto, Tokyo Ghoul and Bleach.
Oct 6, 2014 1:55 AM

Dec 2013
Inb4 butthurt fans
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 6, 2014 1:55 AM

Dec 2012
Pierrot just gave us this, so I'm taking their side -
Oct 6, 2014 1:56 AM

Sep 2012
It's Pierrot, no contest.
Oct 6, 2014 2:28 AM

Mar 2012
I find it kind of funny how the people with the strongest opinions on Toei and Pierrot are the ones who've barely seen anything past their several hundred episode long shonenshit adaptations.
Oct 6, 2014 3:34 AM

May 2013
Well, both studios has their greatness and flaws so neither.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 6, 2014 3:39 AM

Feb 2014
Both are lazy shitty animation studios who employ art school dropouts with no talent whatsoever.

Even when they have a high budget and plenty of time to work on something, they still mess it up.
Ockap1812Oct 6, 2014 3:42 AM
Oct 6, 2014 4:15 AM

Mar 2013
DEEN.

But yea Pierrot is pretty bad too.
Oct 6, 2014 4:17 AM

Jan 2009
You've watched 3 series from each studio. I'll take your OP premise as a joke.
Oct 6, 2014 4:28 AM

Nov 2012
They're both pretty bad studios, but if I were to choose, I'd say Pierrot is slightly better. The animation for Bleach is more consistent than the animation for One Piece (which isn't saying much to be honest). And they did a pretty good job with Tokyo Ghoul considering the source material is pretty ass, they cut a lot of the shit out (no pun intended) and gave us a decent adaptation and one of the best finales in all of anime. It's a shame they're gonna ruin it by making a second cour of the show though.
Oct 6, 2014 7:32 AM

Dec 2012
I don't consider Pierrot to be evil/bad in the first place.

I'm really grateful, that they were the studio to adapt Naruto, I might not have loved the series as much if it was done by another studio. The music, VA cast, art, the special animation (Which is honestly my favorite animation of the anime I've saw) they are just really great. One thing that I noticed while re-watching the series, was some added scenes, that weren't in the manga, but greatly complement the source material, makes me feel the director really understands the characters and the story of the manga, recent example being with Sasuke in the war arc, and how much they added to Kakashi vs Obito, and Madara's massacre.

There is only one bad thing about their adaptions which is fillers, which for me personally, doesn't affect me a lot, since I literally skip all of them, even the good ones, so this is a non issue for me. And I frankly don't see any other studio doing a better job with an original long running adaption.

Awesome studio, and I won't have it any other way.
Oct 6, 2014 7:37 AM

Sep 2011
fst said:
DEEN.

But yea Pierrot is pretty bad too.
you raise a deen, i raise you A1

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 6, 2014 8:25 AM

Jun 2014
Pierrot used to be awesome back in the 80s, but they haven't done anything good in the past 20 years or so. Toei puts out a good show once every few years, but has mostly suffered the same fate as Pierrot.

Oct 6, 2014 8:36 AM

Jan 2010
I...Didn't realize there was hate for Pierriot and Toei. They've always just been there for me. Fillers I can understand, 'cause you can't have the show catching up with the manga. Hell, it gave us some great stuff like One Piece's G8 arc or that one bit in Naruto when the kids were trying to unmask Kakashi. Unless we're talking straight up art/animation quality, in which case I got nothing to say.
Oct 6, 2014 8:38 AM

Jan 2013
man people are really butthurt about tokyo ghoul.

Get over it guys, summer is over.
Oct 6, 2014 8:42 AM

Aug 2014
Toei is a LOT worse and holy shit are they lazy.
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Oct 6, 2014 8:43 AM

Nov 2012
looking at piece of shit art of yyh manga, yuyu hakusho adaptation is very good,
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Oct 6, 2014 9:25 AM

Mar 2012
Pierrot is an amazing studio, almost on par with Madhouse, sadly it just gets shitty source material (yyh, naruto, bleach)

Toei is terrible and has no redeeming qualities except its successful attempts at kissing Ghibli's ass.
End Zionazism
Oct 6, 2014 9:42 AM

Apr 2014
Pierrot is a pretty good studio. I mean they made GTO which was simply fabulous and many other great adaptions such as Hikaru no Go, Tegami Bachi, Yumeiro Patissiere, Tantei Gakuen Q and many more.
Oct 6, 2014 9:49 AM

Mar 2014
Ockap1812 said:
Both are lazy shitty animation studios who employ art school dropouts with no talent whatsoever.

Even when they have a high budget and plenty of time to work on something, they still mess it up.

Damn that was harsh
Oct 6, 2014 9:50 AM

Dec 2012
sullynathan said:
Ockap1812 said:

Damn that was harsh

But mostly baseless.
Oct 6, 2014 9:59 AM

Feb 2013
ninjastarforcex said:
looking at piece of shit art of yyh manga, yuyu hakusho adaptation is very good,

YYH looked fine till the chapter black arc. I think it's better in that department since th e visuals of the anime are rather dated.

That said, Pierrot made GTO so they win
Oct 6, 2014 10:00 AM
Mar 2011
they both have odne more and make more money for the industry then every ones fuck buddies like kyoani and Ufotable
whi nahve 0 maintream his ot there names and make litlle to no profit year on year im compare toei make aorund 40% of total indusrty profit

fact not opinion
toei as awhole have more well know anime under them then most sudios combined i no fan boy i state fact

i love to see a kyio ani anime try to make 900,000 ,000 yen[ that is what toei and bandai make form precure alone]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 6, 2014 10:03 AM

Dec 2012
FGAU1912 said:
they both have odne more and make more money for the industry then every ones fuck buddies like kyoani and Ufotable

LOL

fact not opinion
toei as awhole have more well know anime under them then most sudios combined i no fan boy i state fact

Well the topic is asking about opinions on their quality, not their commercial success. Which Toei obviously is ahead at.
Oct 6, 2014 10:04 AM

Feb 2010
I like both of them but Toei had some of the greater titles.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 6, 2014 10:09 AM

Jun 2010
Toei a shit. Maybe now they got better at it, but back when I watched their stuff, they pretty much ruined all VN and LN adaptation they did.

Oct 6, 2014 10:11 AM
Mar 2011
tsudecimo said:
FGAU1912 said:

LOL

fact not opinion

Well the topic is asking about opinions on their quality, not their commercial success. Which Toei obviously is ahead at.

the industry is an industry make miney and mianstrem show put anime on the map worldwide so that is fact is a sucsess and its a quitly that kyoani ufotable trigger bones have never had in sapdes like toei

when tv anime began toei were and still are the only mojor film and tv studio that are involed thay gave anime on tv creditably that stuios like Kyoani xebee and there kin have hurt im sorry that is fact

why do you think there is more late night anime thanprime time anime

and beofe oyu bring up TV tokyo or NTV and allike there Tv channels woth commites not film/tv studio like Toei Dai ei or toho
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Oct 6, 2014 10:14 AM
Mar 2011
xbobx said:
Toei a shit. Maybe now they got better at it, but back when I watched their stuff, they pretty much ruined all VN and LN adaptation they did.

niope there veriosn of clanmad was colsser n very way tp the source hell
the clamnad fanbse on mal is hippociretes why thye parise Kyo an changeing the art style of clannad but there ilk bashn Aku no hana ofr chanhing the art style of the manga

Oct 6, 2014 10:16 AM

Jan 2008
Toei will always hold a special place in my shit-list.
Oct 6, 2014 10:16 AM

Feb 2013
toei did more good stuff than pierrot
Oct 6, 2014 10:20 AM
Mar 2011
Imperial_Thunder said:
Toei will always hold a special place in my shit-list.

you have no respect

Oct 6, 2014 11:00 AM

Jun 2010
FGAU1912 said:

the clamnad fanbse on mal is hippociretes why thye parise Kyo an changeing the art style of clannad but there ilk bashn Aku no hana ofr chanhing the art style of the manga

Try to express yourself with proper grammar and maybe I can get your point.
If you were talking about Kanon -the picture I posted- I COULD agree with you. Since they kept the artwork really faithful to the source, and a bit of the story as welll.
But as for Clannad? You mean the movie?
How come? The art is the classical Toei distorted pre-moe stuff. Nothing similar to the VN:

In terms of "faithful to the source" KyoAni did a way better job at it.
Toei's Clannad ruined the Illusionary World aspect of the story, delivering a ending without zero to none connection with the subtle aspects of it on the VN. They made it plain "realistic" that had nothing to do with the original content. Soundtrack was horrible and no piece from the actual VN was kept, not to mention the seyuu-tachi had no idea of what they were doing.
For a matter of fact, Jun Maeda approved the KyoAni script and artwork, while Toei just "asked" for his "opinion" as "consultant" when they did the movie.
Oct 6, 2014 12:02 PM
Mar 2011
xbobx said:
FGAU1912 said:

Try to express yourself with proper grammar and maybe I can get your point.
If you were talking about Kanon -the picture I posted- I COULD agree with you. Since they kept the artwork really faithful to the source, and a bit of the story as welll.
But as for Clannad? You mean the movie?
How come? The art is the classical Toei distorted pre-moe stuff. Nothing similar to the VN:

In terms of "faithful to the source" KyoAni did a way better job at it.
Toei's Clannad ruined the Illusionary World aspect of the story, delivering a ending without zero to none connection with the subtle aspects of it on the VN. They made it plain "realistic" that had nothing to do with the original content. Soundtrack was horrible and no piece from the actual VN was kept, not to mention the seyuu-tachi had no idea of what they were doing.
For a matter of fact, Jun Maeda approved the KyoAni script and artwork, while Toei just "asked" for his "opinion" as "consultant" when they did the movie.

sorry mean kanon i its just hadly and one tak baou kanon but the 2002 verison in better cuase of all the reasn i say cit closer ti the soorce

to me kyo ani stuff looks alot alike

Oct 7, 2014 4:56 AM
Oct 2014
tsudecimo said:
I don't consider Pierrot to be evil/bad in the first place.

I'm really grateful, that they were the studio to adapt Naruto, I might not have loved the series as much if it was done by another studio. The music, VA cast, art..they are just really great.

Yeah I feel the same way about their adaption of Hikaru No Go. Yu Yu Hakusho was also great for its time. On the other hand, Toei is a studio that's just mediocre at everything that it does. Dragon Ball was the only anime they got right and everything they've produced after 2010 has been meh.

Sure Pierrot may have butchered Tokyo Ghoul but at least they put effort into making the the story relatively coherent (given how rushed it was). The music, animation and voice acting were pretty good too. On the other hand, Toei is barely putting any effort into their adaption of One Piece and that's just unfair imo.
Oct 7, 2014 5:00 AM

Nov 2012
SolviteSekai said:
man people are really butthurt about tokyo ghoul.

Get over it guys, summer is over.

I'm pretty sure all mentions of Tokyo Ghoul in this thread before you arrived were positive or neutral, so where the hell did this statement even come from?
Oct 17, 2014 11:29 AM

Nov 2012
at least toei can do this

IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Oct 17, 2014 1:07 PM

Aug 2014
Z4k said:
Pierrot is a pretty good studio. I mean they made GTO which was simply fabulous and many other great adaptions such as Hikaru no Go, Tegami Bachi, Yumeiro Patissiere, Tantei Gakuen Q and many more.

True. Toei has no redeeming quality whatsoever.
Oct 17, 2014 1:08 PM

Dec 2013
Mightyunown said:
Z4k said:

True. Toei has no redeeming quality whatsoever.
They animated Digimon
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 17, 2014 1:10 PM

Nov 2010
Neither are evil, both are very good studios. There's plenty of worse ones to pick on.
Nov 17, 2014 6:03 PM
Jun 2014
Perriot is not that bad, they've done decent with long series such as bleach and Naruto(600+ eps). Of course there are some lows, but never as bad as a lot of toei shows.

The greatest animation quality in one piece doesn't compare to Naruto's animation highs

Eg, you'll never see anything with as much animation as in this video in One piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r818ApIgK5w
Nov 17, 2014 6:07 PM

Oct 2013
Toei still uses those crappy outdated sound effects from the 80s.
Nov 17, 2014 6:12 PM
Jul 2018
World Trigger looks bloody trash, so therefore Toei is worse for sure. Who even funds shit like that these days.
Nov 17, 2014 6:47 PM

Nov 2014
Any studio that constantly screw up adaptations is bad. Just because they screw up less severely in each adaptation, it doesn't change the fact that they fked up. Therefore both are just as bad.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 17, 2014 6:53 PM

Jun 2014
Naisto said:
World Trigger looks bloody trash, so therefore Toei is worse for sure. Who even funds shit like that these days.

Owch.

And here I thought world trigger was decent :/

My real question is what is the best studio that people like xD
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Nov 17, 2014 7:01 PM

Nov 2011
Toei because Pierrot is pure evil
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Nov 17, 2014 7:09 PM
Jul 2018
7starkiller99 said:
Naisto said:

Owch.

aww... well I only saw the first four episodes, maybe it redeems itself o.o? I just think the other shounen this season are much better, like nanatsu no taizai, shingeki no bahamut: genesis and log horizon. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they are the best anime, just that they are a fair amount better than world trigger.
Nov 17, 2014 7:25 PM

Feb 2010
Naisto said:
7starkiller99 said:

Owch.

aww... well I only saw the first four episodes, maybe it redeems itself o.o? I just think the other shounen this season are much better, like nanatsu no taizai, shingeki no bahamut: genesis and log horizon. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they are the best anime, just that they are a fair amount better than world trigger.

Those are all good and probably better than World Trigger but World Trigger is still decent itself. Stuff can be better than other stuff without one of them being 'bloody trash'.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 17, 2014 10:52 PM

Oct 2008
Toei by far,considering what a large studio they are and how many franchises they have under their belt (most of them mega successes worldwide) and how they always manage to fuck up the adaptations since like the early 90's with tons of fillers and crappy production values it just goes without saying.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

61 by Saiunknown »»
2 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

16 by Psyzzy »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

49 by APolygons2 »»
8 minutes ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 43 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

18 by Saiunknown »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.