Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 2, 2013 9:17 AM

Jul 2013
Riza Hawkeye is Colonel's sensei's daughter... Whaaaa... Small world..
Riza: You(Edward) love her(Winry).
Ed:Phhheeeew..... Great scene
Invading Ishbal...Empire Strikes Back.
Sep 26, 2013 4:35 PM

Jun 2012
Great to finally hear the history in detail.
I like that Kar98k with the ZF-41 scope, but it's strange that a gun designed in 1935 is present in the era this series takes place.
Hawkeye saying, "I'll follow you into Hell if you ask me to." Haha, it's love!
Yasu-kunSep 26, 2013 4:42 PM

Oct 21, 2013 4:22 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Riza's tatoo looks very important. Nice back too!

Seriously now, this episode really exposes how the Ishvalan War was nothing but genocide. And Roy Mustang will make sure that everyone involved has to pay for it. Including it seems himself.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 26, 2013 4:59 AM

May 2013
Not as strong as it was in the manga
Nov 30, 2013 4:38 AM

Oct 2013
:D
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 26, 2013 2:33 AM

Jul 2013
even in the middle of war and despair.. Hughes managed to pull something like that... damn lol.

I don't know but I now hate May.... shes into Ed first but now shes into Al? doesn't matter if shes a kid. a bitch is a bitch. shes still cute tho
Mar 19, 2014 8:14 AM

Jun 2011
^ Abusing the word "bitch" I see.

Did Al just got himself a girl there? Wow, "VENGEANCE" So now Marcoh is dead.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 8, 2014 3:38 AM

Jul 2013
I couldn't help but notice that Ed's character art has been changing this whole time. He looked so different while talking to Hawkeye compared to how childish he looked right at the start of the anime.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Jun 9, 2014 10:52 PM

Aug 2013
Isn't that tattoo on Riza's back the same as the tattoo on Scar (and his brother)?

The Ishbal extermination is really disturbing. I really can't help but feel disgusted and angered every time they show it. Wrath needs to be skinned alive and dipped in concentrated lemon juice.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 10, 2014 9:45 PM

Jan 2012
I was annoyed at Ed's reaction to Riza's hint that they would eventually be held accountable for their actions. He seemed so shocked and rather immature - "they're the good guys, they shouldn't be punished!" They are good people but they slaughtered civilians. Genocide. War crimes. Ed's reactions are sometimes over the top and childish because he thinks in black and white. It's true that the Homunculi triggered it, but did they pull every trigger themselves?

I like how Riza kept repeating they had to remember those they've killed. And I love Roy's end game because it's pretty poignant and I hope it actually happens. Rise to the top to take it down. He wants to give the people enough power to punish him.

Marcoh's blown off head A+ ending
NinahJun 10, 2014 9:49 PM
Sep 24, 2014 4:40 PM

Apr 2013
I feel sorry for the Ishbal people. They were murdered and used as test subjects for the fucking Philosopher's stone. Fuck you Wrath. Burning in hell is too good for you.
Sep 25, 2014 12:42 AM

Jan 2014
Some good background on the war.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 30, 2014 2:57 AM
May 2012
Always-Hungry said:
I feel sorry for the Ishbal people. They were murdered and used as test subjects for the fucking Philosopher's stone. Fuck you Wrath. Burning in hell is too good for you.

Yeah, poor Ishbalan people, really :'(
Why are they cutting a lot of scenes like y'all saying. That's too bad :/
Damn, I fell asleep again after the ending song, and I was dreaming about this Anime ahahaha.
Feb 9, 2015 10:59 PM

Nov 2014
I love Riza and Roi and I would most probably cry if they died, but they -and who ever participated in Ishbal- DO deserve to die.
A proper anime for me would finish it by killing them. I mean I get they are ordered to do so, but there is always a quit option isn't it? How different they are from Scar? If not even worse.
Apr 20, 2015 9:58 AM

Apr 2013
So we get the backstory, this time things are a bit different then in the 2003 version. I like this one better.
Jul 18, 2015 10:19 AM

Jun 2015
PrimeX said:
even in the middle of war and despair.. Hughes managed to pull something like that... damn lol.

I don't know but I now hate May.... shes into Ed first but now shes into Al? doesn't matter if shes a kid. a bitch is a bitch. shes still cute tho

lmao xDD
Jul 25, 2015 10:35 PM

Oct 2014
Interesting backstory, it was interesting to see that Riza's dad was Mustang's master in learning alchemy and see how they met and became such close allies (along with Hughes). Kimball seems like he would be a tough enemy.. I wonder what happened to him?

Also, the scene at the end of Mei telling Al she hopes he gets his body back soon was pretty funny
Sep 7, 2015 4:45 AM

Jul 2009
It was nice to see Riza's dad and how he was important for Roy. I am curious about Riza's back, I don't remember it in the original.
Haha it was fun when Riza told Ed that he loves Winry :D

It was good to see the Ishval's war.
Dec 14, 2015 5:25 AM
Nov 2014
Every passing episodes I learned something new, great episode. Cool to see Riza getting some development.
Dec 30, 2015 7:00 AM

Nov 2011
Gosh! The episodes last for too little! Narration very calm and subdued to revive interest, we think the backstory that lie behind each character, I'm curious to find out more about the character of Rize. Excellent soundtrack.
Feb 4, 2016 7:30 PM

Jul 2013
As a non manga reader and first watcher of FMAB every episode is so different and interesting compared to the normal FMA.

The really terrible thing about this episode is that this art of war also exists here in real life. Exactly like this people die. So it's extemely realistic what I really like about this episode.

Haha Ed blushed when Rize asked him if he loves Winry, cuuuuute :D

That tattoo on Rizes back is the secret about the flame Alchemy right? Also interesting to see that her father was Mustangs master. It was nice to learn a lot more about Rizes character/past.

Holy shit the last scene at the end, vengeance written with the blood of Dr. Marcoh.

PS: To see Hughes again made me pretty sad ;_ ;
Natsu88Feb 4, 2016 7:35 PM

Nov 27, 2016 1:39 PM

Aug 2011
Man, I used to somewhat like Riza, but after this episode.... I'm so disappointed in so many characters at one time, I don't know how to watch it further.

Scar seems like a nice guy comparing to Roi, Riza, Hughes and other soldiers. The guy has some reasons at least, unlike those who murder just because they got stupid orders. This cowardice, indifference and submission to someone's will makes my butt hurt a lot.

And the moment when Hughes says that he fights in order to survive??? Duhhhhh gtfo. At least Armrstrong is still a nice guy (?).

Nazi Germany parallels are truly on point in this anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2017 12:40 AM

Jan 2016
Seeing Hughes again hurts, talking about his wife ):
Apr 10, 2017 12:38 PM

May 2016
Scar sure knows how to write vengeance in a cool way xD that was brutal but he deserved it.
Jun 4, 2017 12:58 PM
Apr 2017
I kinda hoped they reveal the reason for starting the civil war with Ishvalans. I mean, Father used people from Xerxes to create philosopher's stone and I thought the Ishvalan extermination would have similar cause. But it looks like they used Ishvalans to create philosopher's stone to enhance the army and kill more Ishvalans. So Envy started the war just to give Wrath a reason to sign Order 3066 and wipe out Ishvalans?
Jul 8, 2017 9:53 AM

Jun 2017
I really liked Al at the end saying that he's much taller than Ed and that he's very different from him and Mei being like "aaaaaaa", I love those two!
Mar 14, 2018 9:47 AM

Dec 2009
I never connected Ishval with the Jewish until recently.

Such strong ties to WW2 and I never noticed.
Jan 13, 2019 8:03 PM

Jun 2015
im hopping on the riza x roy ship, they're cute
hughes talking about his family made me a little sad though :(
Jan 27, 2019 2:52 PM

Oct 2013
Interesting. It was good to see more of the battle of Ishval after Alchemists entered it, although from what I read from the earlier posts, it was way more complex in the manga in terms of the plot.

As anime-only viewer I must say I really liked this episode. It showed the tragedy of Ishvalians, doubts of many Alchemists and why that one particular Alchemist had such a powerful abilities (well, thanks to Philosopher's Stone as it was shown).

I'm curious what is this scar on Riza's back and what's the meaning of it. Maybe it's the thing her father was talking about with Mustang right before dying?
Jan 29, 2019 2:43 AM
Jun 2017
This anime series is so cool
Apr 4, 2019 10:07 AM

May 2016
Rize and Mustang having a pretty deep connection before they got in the military reminds me a lot of Edward and Winry's situation.

Hawkeye and Marcoh gave their detailed perspectives of the Amestria-Ishval war and it sure was bloody and painfully one-sided back in the day. Since Barque was killed, Kimblee is definitely the biggest asshole that needs to face the conseauence of his services because it definitely looked like he had too much fun carrying out the mission. It seems that Roy's first order of business as the next Fuhrer President would be giving reparations to the Ishbalan people but doing so means that it won't end well for a lot of State Alchemists who participated in the operation.

It looks like Marcoh got killed by Scar after he told him the grisly details surrounding the extermination of the Ishbalans. You can tell that he was really mad by how his whole head was blown up but the doctor probably wanted that as a sign of penance.

Apr 15, 2019 6:43 PM
Oct 2018
al hyping himself at the end lol
Aug 31, 2019 2:38 AM
Aug 2019
Flashback to the Ishvalan extermination.

Riza's father was Mustang's teacher, and Riza decided to follow him
Nov 5, 2019 9:46 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Alphonse is a lover lol, great episode
Mar 22, 2020 5:51 PM

Feb 2020
i don't usually read the other comments posted before posting my own but idk this time i did and it's a shame so much was skipped out from the manga! i thought this episode was decent but after realising how much backstory was missed i do feel a little disappointed. but i'm trying to judge this show based on the show, not how well it is adapted, so this was a perfectly functional episode imo

anyhow here are some of my thoughts:

nice to see that mustang has been so dedicated to his cause since a young age, he's very idealistic

oooh riza's back tattoo!! must be her father's teachings. and nice to see more focus on riza herself

i often forget, amongst all the badassery he does, that ed is still so young and insecure about himself and carries so much guilt for everything that happens to everyone

the ishbalan massacre is so ruthless, they don't hold back much. and each time, they show another aspect of it, such as a different character reacting or fighting, which makes it even more brutal

hughes! love that guy! but interesting placement of his conversation with roy about gracia, they are talking about their future beyond the war when the military has effectively ended the future of ishbal

kimblee is such an unhinged character, i hate him but i love seeing him act so wild and with so much abandon compared to mustang etc

al being his own hype man at the end yes you go son!

scar killed marcoh!! that was gruesome
Jul 16, 2020 9:20 AM

Aug 2018
A powerful and pretty sad episode, that whole war thing is really familiar of something that happened in real life if I'm not mistaken
Nov 12, 2020 4:38 AM

Jul 2017
More about the Ishval war is known a little from the perspectives of Riza and Dr. Marcoh in this episode. It felt like something was missing, since it did feel a little too quick but I still found it solid nonetheless (although it definitely could have been a lot better). Especially seeing Roy and Riza when they were younger, and seeing how there were a lot of soldiers who were opposed to what was happening but still had to partake in it. We even see Kimblee use the philosopher stone to take out a massive number of Ishvalans too sadistically. Seeing Riza try to push Edward forward was a nice moment too.
Jan 3, 2021 5:19 AM

Aug 2017
Finally, Roy, Hughes and Rize's perspective on the war. I was really waiting for this answer.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 18, 2021 7:53 AM

Jul 2020
great flashback of Riza, Mustang, and Hughes

glad Dr. Marcoh is dead so he can't be used of now

okay next.
Aug 2, 2021 3:39 PM

Aug 2011
"All this destruction, for what purpose? All that's left is sand." What a powerful statement by Mustang. I thought it was a powerful image when they were chatting on the field and you see the Ishvalan scarf bloodied just lying in the background. It made me think about the purpose of war, the reality of taking human life for the purpose of proving whose right, but who is really the winner? Watching them shoot unarmed Ishvalan was hard, and as equally hard watching the alchemist who transmuted the wall preventing them from escaping the gunfire.
desu desu binches
Dec 9, 2021 9:50 AM
Nov 2020
I never noticed before that Hughes was standing in the background and overheard the entire conversation between Bradley and the leader of the Ishvalans.
Mar 2, 2022 4:02 PM

Feb 2021
Politics are too one dimensional to enjoy other than "white military people are bad". If this had been going on since the creation of the government centuries ago, and the soldiers truly were affected by guilt, don't you think some of them would be smart enough to be suspicious of something going on? Or at least to resist orders that are clearly evil without any moral ambiguity?

I'm also not understanding how all of these war related themes are relevant to Ed and Al getting the philosopher's stone and their bodies back. It honestly feels like bad political filler in an attempt to make the world seem interesting. There's literally no broader conflict, other than trying to work around their subborn beliefs (and the plot conveniently alters or retcons to support that), to cause them to rethink their morals or philosophy as they dig further into their mission. Fma 2003 easily beats this story in thematic depth

I didn't like panda girl the first time I watched this but I dislike her even more now. This story needs more characters like King Bradley and Kimblee the fucking menaces they are
May 28, 2022 4:00 PM
Apr 2022
Sometimes i feel bad to scar but his character makes me hate him
Sep 22, 2022 11:58 PM

Aug 2019
God this was such a bland episode. While I admire that Hawkeye is a strong female character who's competent at what she does, she's really boring as a character when it comes to conversations with anyone who isn't Mustang imo. The Scar scenes were slightly more interesting and so was Al's scene towards the end, but everything involving Hawkeye's flashback bored me to death.
Nov 16, 2022 2:32 PM
Mar 2021
excellent episode
Feb 1, 2023 8:55 AM
Apr 2022
Well it was okay!.
Apr 14, 2023 12:26 PM
Apr 2023
May 8, 2023 2:31 PM
Sep 2021
the last alphonse interaction was adorable. 4 stars bc of that
Jun 2, 2023 4:50 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Reading the earlier comments in this episode discussion thread, it looks like a lot of good stuff has been cut from the manga. Makes me sad that we didn't get any of that, but honestly, this episode was already pretty good before knowing that said content was cut. Maybe I felt like they could have expanded upon this backstory a bit more, but overall it still felt sufficient enough. I would like to look into what specifically was cut though, because there apparently are some pretty major character development scenes that would have enhanced the character writing and their relationships significantly.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 23, 2023 7:22 AM
Jul 2023
Riza it's not your fault i Hate how they portray soldiers who were powerless to change anything beyond they're control. These young soldiers like Roy and Riza didn't entire this war by choice and they were decived under the disguise of doing justice. RIZA is being self righteous by trying to look like the hero of ultimate sacrifice it's just drawing attention to herself. Riza and roy are good people who were forced into a situation they don't like. The only people who should feel guilty for the murders of ishbal are those monsters who schemed the whole thing.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.