Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 17, 2014 2:59 PM

Jun 2014
Xari said:
We forgettin' about Kill la Kill, ain't we?

Don't make me throw up
Sep 17, 2014 3:01 PM

Jun 2014
I don't like female leads (most of the time), simply because I cant relate to them. Has nothing to do with a sex thing

Like Psycho-Pass
Sep 17, 2014 3:14 PM

Oct 2013
Even if you have the need to insert yourself in the MC there are quite a few criteria more important than the gender... Having the same gender is even far away from being able to relate to the character. A character is not only defined by the gender.

If done right there isn't a problem with a female MC. At least most female MC's aren't as pathetic as a lot of male MC's.
Sep 17, 2014 3:18 PM

Jun 2011
If done right there isn't a problem with a female MC. At least most female MC's aren't as pathetic as a lot of male MC's.

they are usually more annoying or perverted though (not sure about the perverted part but seems like it to me)
Sep 17, 2014 3:22 PM
Sep 2014
I have no problem with female protagonists in general,but I do have problems watching an anime for its female characters sometimes. Anime has a tendency of expressing how strong a female is by how often she randomly beats the guys around her up. Though it looks funny for a couple times,it gets extremely annoying later. About the anime u mentioned:
Scrapped Princess was fun to watch.
Itazura na Kiss made me despair for women in love.
Kara no kyoukai was AWESOME & Shiki is without doubt the best female protagonist I've seen. Your friends are morons. Period.
Skip Beat! was & still is one of my favorite anime & manga. How can you not love Kyoko? It's inconceivable -__-
Sep 17, 2014 3:26 PM

Jun 2011
Lyla3 said:

Itazura na Kiss made me despair for women in love.
never watching that lol
was going to try skip beat until I looked it up, the synopsis totally isn't my type pus its a shoujo romance
Sep 17, 2014 3:46 PM

Jul 2012
Itazura na Kiss was the best romance. Wat r u talking about

I like shoujo/josei protags sometimes (see: Soredemo Sekai, Ao Haru Ride, Kamisama Hajimemashita, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Chihayafuru), but generally, anime female leads are shit. Even if they're good at fighting and "badass", that doesn't necessarily make them good.
Sep 17, 2014 3:48 PM

Jun 2011
mayukachan said:

I like shoujo/josei protags sometimes (see: Soredemo Sekai, Ao Haru Ride, Kamisama Hajimemashita, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Chihayafuru), but generally, anime female leads are shit. Even if they're good at fighting and "badass", that doesn't necessarily make them good.

im not a fan of romance, so what Lyla3 said about it automatically turned me off of it (literally don't know anything else about it)
Sep 17, 2014 3:50 PM

Jul 2012
Killaclown said:
im not a fan of romance, so what Lyla3 said about it automatically turned me off of it (literally don't know anything else about it)

Yeah, don't watch it if you despise romance. I only praise it because it's the only anime that explores every part of a relationship (like every step of it) and as a romance-fan, that's what makes it really fulfilling to watch.
Sep 17, 2014 3:52 PM

Jan 2014
sumusiko said:
Xari said:
We forgettin' about Kill la Kill, ain't we?

Don't make me throw up

From the awesomeness?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 17, 2014 3:56 PM

Jun 2011
I only praise it because it's the only anime that explores every part of a relationship (like every step of it) and as a romance-fan, that's what makes it really fulfilling to watch.

well that sounds pretty cool if you are into that genre
RedRoseFring said:
sumusiko said:

Don't make me throw up

From the awesomeness?

I've only seen one episode but it kind of got my attention so I'm definitely trying this one out.
Sep 17, 2014 3:58 PM

Jul 2012
I've seen feminist essays against Kill la Kill and they're pretty legit. I'd have to say KlK is more sexist towards females than empowering.
Sep 17, 2014 4:00 PM

Jul 2013
^There is nothing more sexist than Danshi Koukousei
lol
Sep 17, 2014 4:02 PM

Jun 2011
mayukachan said:
I've seen feminist essays against Kill la Kill and they're pretty legit. I'd have to say KlK is more sexist towards females than empowering.

why is this? (don't think I seen anything in the 1st ep. like that)
Sep 17, 2014 4:04 PM

Jul 2012
Killaclown said:
mayukachan said:

I think one of the reasons (that I read in that essay) is that they're exploited sexually, like how the female characters get their clothes ripped off and fight in barely anything.

epicm14 said:

Honestly, the females in Danshi Nichijou were kind of realistic, although weird.
Sep 17, 2014 4:11 PM

Jun 2011
mayukachan said:
Killaclown said:

I think one of the reasons (that I read in that essay) is that they're exploited sexually, like how the female characters get their clothes ripped off and fight in barely anything.

hopefully its not as bad as ikkitousen, if it actually has other things going for it than I probably wont mind (unlike ikkitousen seemed) but yeah I can see how that's kinda sexist.
Sep 17, 2014 4:13 PM

Jul 2013
epicm14 said:

elaborate please
Sep 17, 2014 4:19 PM

Oct 2010
Probably the running sketch about high school girls or the literature girl... But it's difficult to spot sexist tones in an anime that ridicules every single one of its characters, the main male being the prime example. In short, I don't know where does that come from either.
Sep 17, 2014 4:22 PM

Jul 2013
hybreezy said:
epicm14 said:

elaborate please

Especially in the high school girls are funky thing the only thing about them that I could compare them to are those crazy modern day tumblr feminists

Most of the females were made to look crazy, but that made the show hillarious and it was the feature of the show I loved the most
lol
Sep 17, 2014 4:30 PM

Jun 2011
epicm14 said:
hybreezy said:

elaborate please

Especially in the high school girls are funky thing the only thing about them that I could compare them to are those crazy modern day tumblr feminists

Most of the females were made to look crazy, but that made the show hillarious and it was the feature of the show I loved the most

they were all crazy though, and that show is awesome
Sep 17, 2014 4:40 PM

Jul 2013
Yeah as jal basically pointed out nobody is safe from ridicule in that show and they're pretty much all portrayed as crazy people in some regard. I mean that's why it's great, but I'm just sayin there's no biases involved.
Sep 17, 2014 6:29 PM

Aug 2013
There are plenty of terrible female leads (ex.Amnesia) but there are some shows with very good female leads.

My favorite this year was Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii. Nike wasn't spineless but she wasn't a raging bitch either. I really like her.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Sep 17, 2014 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
like honestly if you cant relate to women at all youre probably kind of sexist. if you cant relate to emotions you feel normally when expressed by a girl its probably bc youre not really viewing the girls as human equals, so fuck you.

on another note, i am a girl, i watched all of klk and i didnt think it was sexist. i would understand that mindset, and probably agree with it, if the men werent all naked too. klk was a show about hot naked people, most of whom were ladies. and like yeah, one of the reasons its about mostly women is so they could show constant naked women, but the ladies of klk, while naked, were one of the most raw, powerful and unique group o ladies ive ever seen in anime. like, yeah, i saw them titties but at least they were more than god damn love interests. they were all different and defined by their desires and passions, not by their relation to some male love interest. it even had a powerful evil woman villain, which is rare even in shows with girl mcs. idk. its not like fan service is something at all new to anime, so who fucking cares. they were just more naked than usual, but they were also pretty great. idk. its fine. idk why the fucking world had to throw a tantrum about hot klk ass when there are far more sexist things to whine about.
Sep 17, 2014 7:00 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
FloatsBoats said:
Came in to say Motoko Kusanagi is the best lead out of males and females.
Sep 17, 2014 7:12 PM

Jul 2012
here's the link to that kill la kill essay. i won't say i disagree or agree.

waterfallsxo said:
There are plenty of terrible female leads (ex.Amnesia) but there are some shows with very good female leads.

My favorite this year was Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii. Nike wasn't spineless but she wasn't a raging bitch either. I really like her.

Same
Sep 17, 2014 7:38 PM

Apr 2012
I love strong female leads.

Holo from Spice and Wolf
Lafiel from Seikai no Monshou
Aoba from Cross Game
Erin from Kemono no Souja Erin
Yamada from Honey and Clover

Imo they are better than most of my favorite male leads. It's lame to dismiss a character just because they are female >_> I also dispute the notion that you have to be able to relate to the character to appreciate a good character.
zzzeallySep 17, 2014 7:42 PM

Sep 17, 2014 7:47 PM

Sep 2012
Bad male characters is bad writing.

Bad female characters is sexism.

Oh lord.
Sep 17, 2014 7:50 PM

Jul 2013
I don't enjoy female protagonists in shows when there's romance. Like Nobunagun... oh God. They should've put a shoujo tag in that not shounen. I enjoyed KlK but there's no doubt I would've enjoyed it better if Ryuuko was a guy. Her fanservice is just... I don't know. I'm not being sexist here I'm just not used to female protagonists is all.

Bimbougami ga! was great.
Sep 17, 2014 7:50 PM

Jul 2013
Zeally said:

Holo from Spice and Wolf
Aoba from Cross Game

Imo they are better than most of my favorite male leads. It's lame to dismiss a character just because they are female >_> I also dispute the notion that you have to be able to relate to the character to appreciate a good character.

Holo's just an alcoholic gold digger
Sep 17, 2014 7:51 PM

Jul 2012
Red_Keys said:
Bad male characters is bad writing.

Bad female characters is sexism.

Oh lord.

I actually agree with you in this one lol
Sep 17, 2014 7:54 PM

Apr 2012
hybreezy said:
Zeally said:

Holo from Spice and Wolf
Aoba from Cross Game

fite me '-'

Sep 17, 2014 8:00 PM

Jul 2012
PrimeX said:
I don't enjoy female protagonists in shows when there's romance. Like Nobunagun... oh God. They should've put a shoujo tag in that not shounen. I enjoyed KlK but there's no doubt I would've enjoyed it better if Ryuuko was a guy. Her fanservice is just... I don't know. I'm not being sexist here I'm just not used to female protagonists is all.

Nobunagun's main girl was fun. I liked her.
I definitely would have liked KlK more if everyone was genderbent.

Zeally said:

Loved her. She's a really realistic character.
Sep 17, 2014 8:32 PM

Apr 2014
Well! I knew about it this but never wanted to say shit about it, I just hate when people like that hate on shows like these.

I like Medaka Box, and Senran Kagura (Mostly the Specials, but still)
CM said:
Right now, me, right now, in Cleveland, Ohio, take fucking care of me right fucking now. Don't worry about where I'm supposed to be tomorrow. Don't worry about what segment I'm supposed to be. Fucking fix me. My fucking ribs are broken, my knee is fucking torn up, I'm fucking sick. Fucking help me.
Sep 17, 2014 8:37 PM

Mar 2013
Zeally said:
hybreezy said:

fite me '-'

If I gave her an apple, she would be faced with the classir Irishman's dilema; does she eat it now, or ferment it so she can drink it later?
Sep 17, 2014 9:21 PM

Dec 2012
Mladen said:
Do you even need to relate to protagonist to actually like the anime? That is pretty stupid excuse in itself.

I agree. I certainly don't have to be criminal to enjoy Black Lagoon or a merchant to appreciate Spice and Wolf.

More like cradle-robber since she's way older than Laurence, but no.
KruszerSep 17, 2014 9:28 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 2, 2014 4:05 AM

Jan 2008
Thank you for this topic. You have raised some good points about some of the issues I have been having with anime lately.

I am in your friends' situation in the sense that I cannot relate to female characters as well as to male ones because I am a guy. Why? I do not know - it's just the feeling I have without any logical explanation.

I think I can provide you an analogy which best explains my situation. Let's say you are a sports fan and there is a team you support, which has a rival team (think Barcelona and Real M. for the most obvious case). Let's say I am a Barcelona fan. I enjoy watching them play good football and enjoy seeing them win. But Real M. also plays good football, sometimes even better than Barca. So why don't I enjoy watching them winning? They are all football players after all? It's stupid, right? Well, to a fan of Barca it's not stupid, it's just something that feels natural and cannot be explained.

It's the same feeling with me when watching female characters being awesome and being overall better than their male counterparts - I just cannot enjoy it. For the record, this has nothing to do with having a female protagonist but more with the relative competence level of male and female characters in the show. For instance, I loved Scrapped Princess even though it had a female lead, because Shannon was a great male character and I enjoyed watching him kicking ass and protecting his sister even though he technically wasn't the lead. On the other hand, I do not enjoy shows like Mirai Nikki, Shana and Accel World even though they have a male protagonist. The "stars" in those shows are all females and they carry most of the action.

Regarding the self-inserting part, I do not actively picture myself as the protagonist trying to imagine what I would do. It's more like something that happens on a subconscious level - how I like seeing my favorite character being cool, even though he might be completely different from me and thus impossible to relate to.

I don't know if your friends have the same issue as me, but I just wanted to share my own thoughts and experiences on the topic.
Dec 12, 2014 6:30 AM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:

After completing Itazura na kiss I didn't know what to do with my life anymore, atleast for a week. haha xD
I'm never wrong. I once thought I was wrong, turns out, I was mistaken.
Dec 12, 2014 7:22 AM

Mar 2013
Female main protagonist problem #1
-Not being main

Dec 12, 2014 7:41 AM

Nov 2014
RinArcher said:
Breaz said:
Female main protagonist problem #1
-Not being main

This.

Attention for some reason, always shifts to a Male MC when there's a Female MC that could be so much better if she had more screen time.

Dec 12, 2014 7:45 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I don't see why you even need to relate to or project yourself on the protagonist of an anime you're watching in the first place. It's not like you can ever be that person anyway.

Thus I don't see why having a female lead is any different from having a male one, regardless of your own gender. You are a third-party viewer after all.
Dec 12, 2014 8:56 AM

Apr 2013
Mladen said:
Killaclown said:
the last show I watched with a female main character was psycho Pass I think... though that character kind of sucked

She felt unimportant. It was all about the guys. Rarely anyone will say how she's their favorite :P

She was a very nice MC to follow ImO.
Most awesome female lead overall may be Kou Shuurei from Saiunkoku. Not a lot of male main characters can even begin to compare to her~
ZefyrisDec 12, 2014 9:00 AM
Dec 12, 2014 9:03 AM

Oct 2014
Hmmm, interesting. I never actually thought about a main character's gender until I read this thread.

I dunno, it just doesn't bug me if I'm watching an anime with a female lead. I'm currently watching Psycho-Pass which has a female lead and I don't see it as a problem.
Dec 12, 2014 9:05 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Ayase Chihaya from Chihayafuru is probably the best female MC I've seen
Dec 12, 2014 9:06 AM

Jun 2011
Zefyris said:
Mladen said:

She felt unimportant. It was all about the guys. Rarely anyone will say how she's their favorite :P

She was a very nice MC to follow ImO.
Most awesome female lead overall may be Kou Shuurei from Saiunkoku. Not a lot of male main characters can even begin to compare to her~
just read the synopsis, doesn't seem like my type of show but I would fire her she sounds like a horrible concubine :p
Dec 12, 2014 11:46 AM

Apr 2013
That show has a lot of harsh political intrigues (which can sometimes turn into murder attempts and the like ) in medieval China, and she's thrown in the middle of it and manages just fine. Actually, awesomely fine.That MC is pure awesomeness. While she may make a horrible concubine, she's a godsend for the emperor as an unexpected ally x).
If you ever feel like watching an anime that isn't action-focused with a female MC, that's a must see.
Dec 12, 2014 4:59 PM

Apr 2011
I have nothing against INTERESTING female leads ... however, most of the characters that I hate most in anime are females (especially the violent tsundere type), so if I loathe a female protagonist, then I'm far more likely to drop it with a low score. See also: Cross Ange.
Dec 12, 2014 7:30 PM

Nov 2014
HaXXspetten said:
I don't see why you even need to relate to or project yourself on the protagonist of an anime you're watching in the first place. It's not like you can ever be that person anyway.

You don't need to, but you'd want to. You don't want to relate necessarily in personality and looks, but you'd probably want the same friends as the MC, be in the same situations (even the life-threatening ones), et cetera.

If you can relate to the protagonists, it's more likely that you'd understand his or her motives. An example I can think of is one of the reasons I didn't like Death Note too much is Light isn't a relatable character at all. Yes, he wants to god of this new world he creates, but certainly not everyone wants that, and I often questioned why he did what he did.

I suppose in the end it depends on what your tastes in anime are.
Dec 13, 2014 2:29 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
tanteiRE said:
HaXXspetten said:

You don't need to, but you'd want to. You don't want to relate necessarily in personality and looks, but you'd probably want the same friends as the MC, be in the same situations (even the life-threatening ones), et cetera.

If you can relate to the protagonists, it's more likely that you'd understand his or her motives. An example I can think of is one of the reasons I didn't like Death Note too much is Light isn't a relatable character at all. Yes, he wants to god of this new world he creates, but certainly not everyone wants that, and I often questioned why he did what he did.

I suppose in the end it depends on what your tastes in anime are.
Yeah I have to disagree. Or rather relatability is good in the way that it's probably easier to understand a character's mindset, but that's all really. For example have you ever met any extreme tsunderes in real life? Like the way they're portrayed in anime? I sure as hell haven't and I don't think I'd want to either, however I still love watching them in anime because it's just entertainment media and a fictional story that has nothing to with me after all. In the same way I think most "evil" characters will be much harder to properly enjoy if you have to project your own values and morals onto the story. You mention Light as an example, well naturally I don't agree at all with his way of thinking but that doesn't change the fact that he made the overall story incredibly tense, exciting and just all-round clever. In other words his character itself (combined with L's admittedly) brought a ton of entertainment value to the show as a whole and therefore I think he's a great character, because the whole reason you watch anime to begin with is to be entertained, right? Thus if a character succeeds with that, then the whole purpose if fulfilled.
Dec 18, 2014 1:27 PM
Nov 2014
These people are stupid.

Refusing to watch amazing anime with amazing female protagonists, all because they can't self-insert themselves into someone of the opposite gender. Pathetic really.
Dec 18, 2014 1:30 PM

Apr 2014
MyBoySeb said:
These people are stupid.

Refusing to watch amazing anime with amazing female protagonists, all because they can't self-insert themselves into someone of the opposite gender. Pathetic really.
You're gonna hate in your first post on MAL, you really want to get hated fast, don't you?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

28 by Damuzen »»
2 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

58 by Rachiba »»
3 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

7 by Piromysl »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 4 hours ago

13 by cyandaqil »»
9 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 10 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.