Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 6, 2014 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was fun. Competition got intense again in this episode which I think makes sense at this point of the series. I thought Makoto is awesome in this episode though. I didn't expect him to be that good. I am impressed~

Eh, we didn't see too much of Rei. Sigh. Pretty fun episode overall.
Aug 6, 2014 8:30 AM

Nov 2007
It's that time! The main two when they first entered swimming school. Also time for the sibling to tomb sweeping. lol @ the two brothers meeting up and realizing both of them falling in love with the same girl. Cute guys from both schools' talk. Both teams are doing well.

lol @ those Mikoshiba brothers. So the request in the beginning was a serious match. The main guy seems to be losing in the beginning, but he won against his friend. Then he also won against the red hair guy, but it was few seconds difference.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 6, 2014 9:02 AM

Apr 2008
Gotta say the Mikoshiba brothers are so cute!!! Lol!

Everyone did really well though why did they skip Rei's beautiful 'butter' plus wanted to see him battle it out against Rin... oh well since they both made it through there will be a next time...

Enjoyable episode overall looking forward to the relay. :)
Aug 6, 2014 9:08 AM

Jun 2013
They all did really well in their races. We only saw a bit of Rei though which was a bit sad. But it was great nevertheless.
Aug 6, 2014 9:12 AM

Apr 2013
Seeing the Mikoshiba brothers together was pretty funny. Loved how they both reacted the same way when they saw Gou. The individual events in this episode were nice, but I didn't like how they skipped Rei's race. Can't wait for the next episode because the relay is going to be awesome.
Aug 6, 2014 9:13 AM

Dec 2011
Finally, they are swimming!

Nice episode. We finally got to see Seijuro!

Cool races. Lol'd at that part where they showed like 3 seconds of Rei's race. Haru is awesome.

Looking forward to next week~
Aug 6, 2014 9:13 AM

Nov 2012
the competition starts! was really surprising to see iwatobi rank #1 in like everything.. even rei!
rin was perfect as always :>
Aug 6, 2014 9:28 AM

Apr 2014
Intense racing again! Love it!
And the Mikoshiba brothers are such dorks =D

Also Mako-chan being jealous~ And seeing him with Haru as kids again was just too cute.
Just a super awesome episode as always <3

爆ぜろリアル!
弾けろシナプス!
バニッシュメント・ディス・ワールド !

Aug 6, 2014 9:41 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Mikoshiba brothers' reactions after seeing Gou was pretty funny. So, are they going to fight over her later? XD

Gou trying to suppress her muscle maniacing was fun to watch. She shouldn't strain herself though. :p

Loved all the swimming matches. Makoto could've won against Haru if only he had paced himself. Still a good match though.
Poor Rei.. Racing alone in the Butterfly style. XD
Haru vs. Rin was intense as usual. Ended with 0.02 sec difference! Damn.

Good episode. Relay next week. Sousuke didn't participate today probably because he wants to surprise everyone. This guy is fast though!

Aug 6, 2014 9:42 AM

Apr 2010
Wrote down these while watching.

They finally explained the story behind the dolphin toy!
Haru and Mako looked super cute as kids, and i think Haru is really lucky to have Mako as his bff

I really like their new swimming suits :D

Gou and her muscle obsession gdi.. and the boys making it hard for her to keep up her resolve was really funny. Her blank disappointed stare.. xD

I still can't come to like Nitori at all for some reason no matter how much I try. :(
And Iwatobi groups cheers were as awkward as usual u_u
the Mikoshiba brothers are so cute, not even fighting over Gou or anything!

Haru's character development's really making me happy, he's grown so much since s1.. He's just an imaginary character but I can't help but be proud of him :(( The way he called for Makoto after his loss was heartbreaking.. Q_Q But everything seems to be fine for now.

Great ep, 5/5.
Aug 6, 2014 9:44 AM
Jan 2014
Really enjoyable episode. Can't wait to see the relay next time.

It's great that Nagisa's parents came to the prefecturals to cheer him on. That must mean that they're on even grounds now.

Kinda felt bad for Nitori. Funny how he's copying Rin with strapping his goggles. I wish that he atleast made it to the prelims though.

I really wanted to see Rei's improved butterfly stroke. We'll hopefully see it at the relay.

The race between Makoto and Haru was intense. Makoto really went full out, but still lost.
Aug 6, 2014 9:51 AM

Apr 2013
Nice episode. Good to see Rin; they all did so well in there races.
Aug 6, 2014 10:02 AM

Jan 2013
It was a nice episode.
All that development was for this and the next episode.
Funny to see both brothers ''fighting'' over Kou.

As for the races, they could be a little expanded, some characters had more screentime than the others during the races.
Aug 6, 2014 10:12 AM
Mar 2010
I...I can't. I can't. I.JUST.CAN'T. I CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN'T!!!

This episode of Free! ES was PERFECTION! Oh my gosh, the angst, the atmosphere, the suspense, the friendship, the FRIENDSHIP, the...Makoto, Haruka, I love both of you so much.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Aug 6, 2014 10:16 AM
Jul 2014
Aww, nice episode! Everyone won their respective events (except Makoto against Haru in the 200m free, but that was a given). Looks like they all have a good shot at nationals!!!

Next up, the relay! Who is going to win this year?
Aug 6, 2014 10:23 AM

Mar 2014
That was a nice episode, although the scene where Haru was in a tub made me want to escape full screen...
Seijuuro and Momotarou are so adorable.
Aug 6, 2014 10:31 AM

Nov 2012
I love the way they animate swimming and water in this show, could see the difference between different swimmers' strokes (Most notably Makoto vs Momotarou)

Thought the Mikoshibas might be love rivals but they're so chummy about it it's great

Looks like Makoto's not out of the woods yet...

The cuts from Makoto and Haru's race to the flashback were cool too
Aug 6, 2014 10:39 AM

May 2013
Everone from Iwatobi did well. Haru barely won that freestyle by .2 seconds. Good episode.
Aug 6, 2014 10:57 AM

Feb 2012
The race is on, stay tuned wooo.
Aug 6, 2014 11:21 AM

Jun 2008
People hate this anime just because it's half naked guys.
But they don't know what they are missing out on.
Aug 6, 2014 11:21 AM

Aug 2012
Really loved this episode, especially since we saw a lot of everyone.

Seeing the Mikoshiba brothers was cute. I wonder how Momo feels about his older brother, since it seemed vague whether the two were close or Momo felt pressured. It was all resolved when they saw Gou though haha.

So many things I like about this episode.
Aug 6, 2014 11:33 AM

Jun 2010
This episode was soooo goood. Mini Makoto and Haru were too adorable! I actually lol'd at Rei's race...
But I wonder why Sousuke didn't participate.
Aug 6, 2014 11:38 AM
Jul 2014
Awww I loved this episode! It was great seeing all of them swim. I have to aggree with the other users here about the Mikoshiba Brothers being cute and funny when they saw Gou :D it had me laughing out loud!

Aww I really love Haru-chan and Makoto! They were so cute as kids. It was nice to finally learn what's behind that dolphin that Haru always carries around :). And when we saw him sitting in the bathtub starring at the dolphin it almost made me cry... Haru-chan is such a cutie pie! Always worrying about others (it's funny how he notices everything but he never says anything, instead he worries over it too much).

Can't wait for another exciting episode next week <3
Aug 6, 2014 11:39 AM
Jul 2014
i find hilarious that the only way Momo gets embarrassed is if Seijuuro is involved.
loved this episode
especially since we got to see the old captain
all their races were awesome
and the story with Makoto and Haruka, just, wow, such friendship, many happiness
overall loved the episode
Aug 6, 2014 11:43 AM

Mar 2012
Mikoshiba siblings are just so hilarious lol. Looks like Sousuke gonna have a showdown with Haruka at the relay.
Keep moving forward
Aug 6, 2014 12:12 PM

Apr 2014
Oh, wow. Where do I start?
Okay, I guess the best thing is to tackle this in chronological order. First of all, the matching Nagisa and Rei swimsuits! That's adorable, and, momentarily overlooking the ship, it really shows how close they are, and how much they also would like to support the team.
It was also great to see that Makoto is acting much more like a team captain now. Overall, in the episode, I found that he was much more authouritative and serious, especially when he's the one to start initiating a conversation about an actual issue of importance with Haru. Before we saw the flashback, I thought Haruka might let Makoto win the 200 freestyle because he felt bad about racing him, though once the whole thing about them talking to each other was resolved, I was pretty sure he wouldn't. All the members of the team have matured, with greater character development, and I really appreciate it- many second seasons don't contribute much in terms of that.
Racing with Rin seems to have taught Haru that racing, not just swimming, can be fun. I feel like he actually made an effort to try and win, perhaps because of the team, perhaps because of the fact that he's realized that he enjoys racing, or maybe, several different factors combined. As was mentioned before me, I thought it slightly strange that Makoto would say he was jealous of Rin, because that kind of emotion isn't usually attributed to him. I did see that in the magazine/ book? released about the Free! characters, it was written that "even the sweetest of people can't always be that way", when addressing Makoto's personality. I think he didn't want to say to Haru that he was jealous of Rin because he didn't want to get in the way of them being friends. Haru, who seems more sensitive to others' feelings in this season, might take pause if Makoto were to mention something about Rin.
But think about it, I guess, and Makoto and Sousuke are pretty similar. Both of them have best friends who overlooked them for somebody else, but they continue to cheer from the sidelines, because that's what best friends do. Even though I don't like Sousuke, I'm starting to understand how he feels. Makoto has a more friendly personality, so it comes across as caring with Mako and perhaps bullying with Sousuke, though really, it's all because of a similar situation for the both of them. I noted some potential Sousuke and Seijuuro conflict, and maybe this is because Sousuke might be uneasy about Rin being close to the former team captain. Same with Nitori, and Sousuke's snide comment. It could just all be out of jealousy of Rin's new friends and teammates.
-i will go down with the makoharu ship-
This seems like a good place to transition into a discussion of the Mikoshiba brothers, who are most certainly adorable! It was really funny when they figured out that they both like Gou, though I'm slightly relieved that there wasn't a fight or anything, just some friendly playing around. It's obvious the two share a close bond, just like Gou and Rin, and I think it's great that Seijuuro wishes to cheer on his brother.
As a last note, I was so happy when it was noted that being in the side/ far lanes gives you a disadvantage, because of the waves generated by other swimmers. And Momo doesn't have a qualifying time yet, so I think that's why he's in the far lane [ I haven't been to a meet for quite a while, so I don't remember much :b ].
Anyway, looking forward to the relay next week!

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Aug 6, 2014 12:18 PM
Mar 2012
Mikoshiba brothers together after Gou - poor Rin.

D'aww Mako-chan. No need to be jealous, your relationship with Haru is different, but special, too.
Aug 6, 2014 12:22 PM
Jul 2013
Interestingly enough, Makoto's attitude in this episode kind of mirrors Sousuke's. They are both jealous and want to retain their friendships.
Aug 6, 2014 12:25 PM

Oct 2008
Nice episode, happy to see everybody racing. Makoto was such an adorable child. Excited to see the relay next week, I hope Sousuke doesn't do anything underhanded.
Aug 6, 2014 12:50 PM

Jul 2009
best episode yet. the pacing was just right. the humour was there, a hint of drama too! not too much, which is what made it perfect.

i also like how they skipped over mr.perfection's swim, haha.
Aug 6, 2014 1:00 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow, we didn't get to see Rei's match just because there's no rival? :( But still, great job to him since he's gotten so much better after one year!

Haru's dolphin toy! It's so Makoto to let him have it. The clownfish is cute too. Had a feeling Makoto was jealous of Rin though, it was nice to see him laugh like that, despite losing.

Lastly, Mikoshiba brothers so silly ^^
Aug 6, 2014 1:02 PM

Jul 2013
Lolololol poor Nitori, no matter how much he tries.

Makoto did great, just needed to pace himself.

I wanted Rin to win tbh, but Haru did great.

The ED card was adorable.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Aug 6, 2014 1:14 PM
May 2010
Full episode of feelings, kinda unexpected. Makoto strange request to Haru, visiting Matsuoka's dad grave, a little bit sad.
But the tournament part was pretty good too. Everybody won their brackets, Haru beat Rin-chan for 0.02 seconds, lol.
Also that promise from Gou-chan and Mikoshiba brothers are so into her :DD
Aug 6, 2014 1:23 PM

Aug 2009
OH MY GODDDDDDDD CAPTAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
I MISSED HIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM <333333

I wish there was more Captain and Momo + Gou scenes! <3 //ships Seigou

ahhhhhhhhhh

Even though this episode gave me so much joy from all the 1st places....

My heart hurts a bit because of Makoto T ___ T..... PLEASE DONT BE SAD BABY....//CRY
Aug 6, 2014 1:30 PM

Apr 2010
Mikoshiba made this episode fantastic.
Aug 6, 2014 1:54 PM

May 2013
Aww, Makoto gave Haru the dolphin toy! (^_^)

Lol, Captain Mikoshiba and Momotarou are fighting over Gou!
Lol at Gou's vow to not be overwhelmed by muscles.

Glad we got to see everyone swimming, except Rei. (T_T)

Makoto's request was for their friendship. It turns out even he's jealous of Haru and Rin's bromance.
You'll get your fair share soon even, Makoto!
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Aug 6, 2014 1:55 PM

Dec 2012
I'm just fangirling below so don't mind me, I'm aware some stuff that happened in the episode were not in that context which I described in my post so again don't mind me. The episode was freaking great overall aside from my fangirling :I loved it.

----------------------------------------

*begins fangirling*

This episode killed me. 5/5.

I SHIP RINHARU SO HARD IT'S BAD FOR MY HEALTH, BUT I WANNA SHIP MAKOHARU TOO AND TODAY'S EPISODE JUST KEPT ESTABLISHING THE SHIP ;A; watdoido. Y u do dis?!? ppl who make free ;A;

He said he was jealous of Rin. He wants Haru to himself *flips table* I'm in a dilemma.

I DIED.
Aug 6, 2014 2:30 PM

Dec 2013
Rin x Haru race was really exciting.. Well it's always like that whenever something RIn x Haru happens.

Sousuke looked pissed in the next episode preview, maybe he's jealous of Nanase. Or maybe this is just my fangirl heart speaking.

And also.. that cute little thing when Rin caught Gou when she slipped.. too cute.
#nanodayolo
Aug 6, 2014 2:32 PM

Oct 2012
Loved it!! I really got into watching that race, I was almost disappointed that they cut Rei's short. Wish we had seen more of Nagisa too. Still haven't gotten over how cute Momo is, especially in that end card!
//that rin x haru x makoto love triangle was the reason i loved it so much.
Aug 6, 2014 2:37 PM

May 2014
This was such a sweet episode. Loved the focus on makoto and haru. Was really disappointed that they didn't show rei's full race, but that's alright since they all won :3 Loved seeing captain mikoshiba back and the interactions with his little bro! Can't wait for the next episode.
Aug 6, 2014 2:58 PM

Jun 2008
rothrock said:

I SHIP RINHARU SO HARD IT'S BAD FOR MY HEALTH, BUT I WANNA SHIP MAKOHARU TOO

In the same position. ; u ;
I have to ship them both.
(or maybe they could have a threesome?)
Aug 6, 2014 3:02 PM

Aug 2014
So.... Im guessing no one ships Rin and Gou?
Aug 6, 2014 3:08 PM

Aug 2014
awwww little Makoto and Haru are so cute
Aug 6, 2014 3:12 PM

Dec 2011
My heart hurts watching this. So sweet that Makoto let Haru have that dolphin keychain instead

Aug 6, 2014 3:25 PM

Aug 2009
GREAT EPISODE!! :D
Awww Haru and Makoto look so cute when they were younger >.<!
Why are the swimming scenes so marvelous~ my god the animation is just wonderful.
I'm glad everyone did so well in their races! Such great rivalry and friendship in this anime.
I love it~

Aug 6, 2014 3:32 PM
Aug 2007
Am I the only one worried about Sousuke and Rin the next episode? Because it looks like they're getting into a fight in the preview.

As for this episode, I think I came after watching it. XD It was so dang exciting and all that relationship-building too. Those two pairs of siblings (Gou and Rin, and the Mikoshiba brothers) are also awesome!
Aug 6, 2014 4:19 PM

Aug 2013
AWWW TODDLER RIN AND MAKOTO<333 Kawaii Overload here //^//

Yayy!! Didn't expect all of Iwatobi to win so I was really excited in this episode(:
Aug 6, 2014 4:54 PM
Aug 2014
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED MAKOTO IN THIS EPISODE

That part when it looks like he's crying.....dem feels.

But seriously, I hope there's more development in store for him. He's too awesome of a character.

And the Mikoshiba brothers were just hilarious in this one! I've never truly appreciated the older Mikoshiba brother until this season.
Aug 6, 2014 4:58 PM

Dec 2010
The gay is strong in Makoto
Aug 6, 2014 5:19 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This is why I love Free

5/5
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

189 by hidenashi »»
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2014

147 by CCC47 »»
Jan 20, 9:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.