Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 20, 2014 8:33 AM

Sep 2008
For someone who's constantly refered as "bad with magic" Tatsuya sure has variety of over-the-top spells.

They keep mentioning how his magic abilities are below-average and he keeps throwing top of the line spells which are considered rare like it's everyday occurence.
And that would be fracking AWESOME if they gave some fracking background on WHY he is able to do all that. This is why adaptations should sometimes do things out of LN/VN/manga order.
He is sooo OP it is insane and his sister seems like she wants his D desperatelly, all the while his family hates him and military worships him. Why is that? Supposedly it gets explained in some later arc.
I guess I'll get basic explanations somewhere in 3rd season.
None of things I mentioned are super-annoying on their own. But they are all present here and they just keep stacking while nothing gets explained.

Oh, and his families: "We hate you because you are weak." is a bunch of bull. He possesses single most powerfull magic in existance AND is capable of using advanced version of some of the rarest magic spells in existance. What were they expecting? God incarnate? Jesus level of spells is not enough obviously.
Jul 20, 2014 8:35 AM

Apr 2014
Ashishgup said:
I can safely say that this is one of the best episodes I've seen this year. I mean, it was just so damn epic. It reminded me of the feeling I used to get while watching No Game No Life.

I enjoy this anime a lot. I mean, it's already a 9.5 for me. I don't really rate all that liberally, given that my average is around 7.3 or something, but this anime really deserves it. I just don't understand why it's rated so low. I mean, if it's because Tatsuya is overpowered, then I don't see how that is different from Sora being overpowered (No Game No Life). I mean, NGNL is obviously much better than Mahouka, but not by the margin the average ratings indicate. The animation, the action, the music are all pretty good. The characters could definitely use some improvement, and there could be lesser focus on the girls in the show, like it has been recently, but that's pretty much it :/

Well, anyway, I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

Its rated low for its stupid bland characters and boring dialogues. Not to mention almost every female character shown worships Jesus kun. And lets not forget the constant praises and onii samas we hear from imouto chan.
Jul 20, 2014 8:43 AM

Jan 2014
Baku219 said:
Our Tatsuya,
Who art in First High,
Thy omnipotence come,
Thy engineering be done,
On Earth as it is in First High.
Give us this day our daily aid,
And forgive that we doubted thee,
As thou wast only a Weed.
And lead us not from dependence,
But deliver us by thy assistance.
For thine is the First High, the Magic, and the Harem.
Of Tatusya, Son of Yotsuba, and Taurus Silver.
Amen.[/spoiler]

MOTHER OF LOL
10/10 WOULD RECITE THAT AGAIN

But, seriously. This episode is gonna be on Mahouka's best episodes.
All those damn action scenes.. I was like "WTF JUST HAPPENED? OH SHET"

5/5
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Jul 20, 2014 8:51 AM

Apr 2009
nina4life said:
Oh, and his families: "We hate you because you are weak." is a bunch of bull. He possesses single most powerfull magic in existance AND is capable of using advanced version of some of the rarest magic spells in existance. What were they expecting? God incarnate? Jesus level of spells is not enough obviously.
anime only watcher here, too.. but from what i can infer, the family wants a straightforward strong magic user (like Miyuki).. Tatsuya is in every way, abnormal and not a good image for the family..

anyway, i really like Mikihiko's look here.. finally, someone who looks and uses magic like a classic wizard or druid.. he's also kinda better than Tatsuya because he defeated Cardinal George without getting defeated himself (until that other guy tries to hit him and he needed protection).. let's face it, making Tatsuya use self-restore means he kinda got defeated there once..
Jul 20, 2014 8:59 AM

May 2013
First good fight in 16 episodes... but still that's better than nothing.
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Jul 20, 2014 9:06 AM

Sep 2008
Good image?
I have yet to see a single powerful magician presented in a show who doesn't regard Tatsuya as "monster". He is feared and respected and admired by every single living being except for his family.
I certainly understand what you are saying, and it would make sense if not for all of the encounters seen up to this point.

Everyone sees him as genius. Everyone admires him.
This episode only prooved it further. That chairman (whatever title he has) came to watch the match for Tatsuya specifically.
He is a magician who sees every single student in country on competition he's head off, but the one who piqued his interest is Tatsuya.
Bad image? Bad image with whom? Great families? The big guy (can't remember name) is from a great family and notice how he acts around Tatsuya. He knows how strong he is.

Oh well, we'll see. I'll probably stick with the show even in 2nd season so hopefully something gets explained.
Jul 20, 2014 9:17 AM

Jul 2013
oh mai gad i wantz me another episode :3
this episode kicked ass, and it wasn't too corny cause tatsuya didn't get all the credits, although he's the true MVP
Jul 20, 2014 9:47 AM

May 2014
They cut out the part that Tasuya had given up winning against the prince and the cardinal until Miyuki believed he won't lose.

Masaki in the LN was more concerned his team will be disqualified after he bombarded Tatsuya with 16 shots than if he fatally injured Tatsuya.

He used Elemental sight??I didn't get in the LN that he used it.

Tatsuya did actually loose the fight with Masaki until regrowth kicked in,it's like a cheat in a game that gives you instant hp after being defeated.

I read a debate regarding a real Masaki/Tatsuya fight?What will be faster Rupture blowing up liquids in his body and Tatsuya imploding or regrowth kicking in before he dies?Can Tatuya destroy multiple Rupture's activation sequence before 1 hits him,since Masaki can spam him.

Am the only one that hope that the fight didn't took up the whole ep because I want certain chapters from volume 5 (first and last) to be animated this season and that Yokohama will be properly adapted?

@nina4life
there are still more to Tatsuya and why his family with a few exceptions hates and disrespects him and why he was turned only to Miyuki's guardian instead of being the candidate for heir as clan head (he's the oldest Shiba male) ,that the LN hasn't revealed yet,well we are speculating that there is more reasons than just because he sucks at normal magics (Gram Demolition (is not even considered as magic as it's just a psion cannonball that destroys activation and magic sequences),Decomposition and his Regrowth aren't considered normal magics).Read LN spoilers if your not interested in reading the LN's in various forums.

edit: about Flashcast,is the ability to use magic (5 or less processes) without a CAD,which makes it quicker to activate.
darkreaperixJul 20, 2014 9:56 AM
Jul 20, 2014 10:03 AM

Dec 2013
Six pages of debates on whether Misaki is anywhere near as good as a rival for Tatsuya, and then it suddenly turned to a comparison between Tatsuya, Iyazoi from Problem Children and Kirito from SAO. Seriously, lets stick to one universe, alright?

Personally, Misaki had a greater advantage in the Monolith Code than Tatsuya. Tatsuya's specialty magic revolves around Combat, and whilst Misaki's does as well, Misaki's magical abilities weren't restricted as much as Tatsuya's in the 9SC. Most of Tatsuya's best spells were all technically "illegal" off an actual battlefield, and thus disallowed at the competition, plus he wasn't allowed to use his own special CADs. If we had to place both on the same battlefield against one another, not only does Tatsuya have the advantage of more OP Combat spells to use against Misaki, but he also has better-tuned, personalized CADs which he himself thought up and manufactured. Even if Misaki had personal CADs, I highly doubt that his would be as well tuned as Tatsuya's. Top of the fact that Tatsuya also makes use of Ninjitsu and his physical self is probably at its peak as well, then you pretty much got no competition here, Misaki loses hands down.

This episode was done plenty well, imho. I loved how the face off during the entire episode wasn't contrived and moved quite fittingly. That each student could come to the aid of each other, and all the stuff they did to ensure their team won was pretty good. The only issue I might have with the entire episode was that the sixth man on the field felt like a nobody. They didn't introduce him, he didn't seem to have any specialized skills. He literally just came out to be knocked out. It felt like anyone could have been partnered with George and Misaki and they probably should have won anyway. Did anyone get the same feeling?

About the end of this episode, for a moment there with Mikihiko's surprised face when Leo was talking about a motorcycle accident, I was thinking maybe the one on the motorcycle was actually Mikihiko himself, and he surprised because he didn't know the victim was Leo or something... that's the feeling that I had from that scene.

Also, now that they won by crazy means, the word should be out that First High basically threw out three Course 2 students and beat the best of all the rest of the High schools. This should be big news both at the games and to the public, considering the match was broadcast live. I wonder how the fallout and aftermath of this game will be like?

This is one time that I'm actually admitting that I can't wait for the next episode of Mahouka. Woah...
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 20, 2014 10:24 AM

Jan 2009
in school competition there isn't distinction on bloom and weed, so those from other school don't know they are second course (remember his uniform for competition has emblem), let's hope that in next episode they don't skip part about how was 1 and 2 course created.

elder found him interesting because he didn't win with high magic power but with right selection of small spells.

about family there is much more complex situation than what was shown in anime up to now. for everyone who want to know more about his family, there is short side story in LN about event that made yotsuba what is today (Volume 8 Untouchable — The Nightmare of 2062), it's about his mother and aunt.
jack4sJul 20, 2014 10:27 AM
Jul 20, 2014 11:04 AM

Nov 2012
That was awesome, I wonder how Masaki will feel when he wakes up. Tatsuya's tactics are too good that is almost unfair for the other competitors.
Jul 20, 2014 12:00 PM
Feb 2009
damnnn Tatsuya too Baws
Jul 20, 2014 3:34 PM

Jan 2014
best episode so far, I loved the fight, epic moment when tatsuya restored himself then suddenly take down Crimson Prince with just one thick in his ear and the effect range just went too far. so bad ass onii-sama~
Jul 20, 2014 3:38 PM

Aug 2013
Fuck! Tatsuya is a monster, I thought he would suffer enough to defeat the opponent, but with a good strategy and strength seemed so simple, I want to see how it will draw attention from now
and Miyuki is really cute, Tatsuya always strives for her sake, and she always supports her brother, I like her personality
let's see how the competitions continue ..
Jul 20, 2014 3:53 PM

Apr 2011
Tatsuya is OP as fuck. That was pretty badass though. Winning by snapping your fingers next to someone's ear and magnifying the soundwaves until it ruptured the guy's ears. Was glad he didn't end up doing the whole job himself though, his teammates definitely did their part.

I wonder if the Ancient Magic that Mikihiko was using hurts him physically ... that might explain why he looked so out of it at the end. Awesome how he took down the Cardinal. Leo had a good save, too, and took out the final guy. They didn't even need to mess around with the Monolith, they just went TPK on their asses.
Jul 20, 2014 4:54 PM

Aug 2007
Ugh... I'm finding this show so boring, but I'm so far into it I just want to finish it...
Jul 20, 2014 5:06 PM

Feb 2014
hamoun said:
Great episode. Although I find It strange that no one gave a reaction to Tatsuya's awesome dodge of two of those "air missiles" or how he ran so fast and shot 14 of the targets while jumping Matrix-like in the air hanging upside down and dancing with his gun.

He's a weed so he's probably just lucky or something.

Oniiiii samaaaa
Jul 20, 2014 5:14 PM

Jan 2014
Why couldn't the other episodes have been this good?? O.o I hope they keep this up
Jul 20, 2014 6:05 PM

Aug 2013
One of the better episodes. I'd rate it a 9/10.

I really like the new OP and ED now that I have heard them a few times. They are extremely catchy.
Jul 20, 2014 6:11 PM

Apr 2012
Wow Tatsuya so badass :D

this episode filled with cool action

Nice, Very Nice :D

Jul 20, 2014 6:36 PM

Jun 2012
THAT WAS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!
Jul 20, 2014 6:36 PM

Jul 2010
The Monolith-Code battle was pretty intense.
Masaki versus Tatsuya! Using self-restoration to win!
The fighting was pretty fun with Tatsuya spinning and jumping all around to counter the attacks.
Jul 20, 2014 7:35 PM

Oct 2013
Pretty awesome episode, that showdown between tatsuya and Masaki was just epic and we get to see more of tatsuya's op-ness.
That Flash Cast to end the fight between them was awesome. Can't get enough of the action in this anime.

Why was mikihiko so nervous when leo mentioned the motorcycle incident? was he the one driving the motorcycle? Or the whom leo said he was protecting?
Jul 20, 2014 8:29 PM

Apr 2014
Don't forget guys Tatsuya had a limiter placed on him which restrained his magic a lot. So yeah that's like beating Masaki with blindfolds and one hand tied up behind his back.
Jul 20, 2014 9:19 PM

Apr 2013
Sure not impressed. Tatsuya can only be defeated by himself.
Jul 20, 2014 9:46 PM

Sep 2012
lilypippili said:
Why couldn't the other episodes have been this good?? O.o I hope they keep this up

Well, technicaly half of Yokohama arc is like that so you're gonna like it. Of course if they'll adapt it well...
Jul 20, 2014 10:53 PM
Apr 2014
argilium said:
anime only watcher here, too.. but from what i can infer, the family wants a straightforward strong magic user (like Miyuki).. Tatsuya is in every way, abnormal and not a good image for the family..

Agree. The Yotsuba is one of the Ten Master Clan which seem to have the highest authority within the Modern Magicians community. If I were them and I have a son who doesn't have the quality to be a modern mage, I would do the same thing they did. Otherwise, I will risk losing my standing as the leader of Modern Magicians and my family will lose its power within the community.
Jul 20, 2014 11:26 PM

Feb 2013
Sweet fucking episode!
Jul 21, 2014 12:02 AM

Sep 2013
Newhopes said:

Nope thats what tatsuya said he probably wouldn't be able to beat Juumonji no matter what he did.

Lol, you should re-read the LN.
My favorite works
Jul 21, 2014 12:06 AM

Apr 2014
CatRules said:
argilium said:

Agree. The Yotsuba is one of the Ten Master Clan which seem to have the highest authority within the Modern Magicians community. If I were them and I have a son who doesn't have the quality to be a modern mage, I would do the same thing they did. Otherwise, I will risk losing my standing as the leader of Modern Magicians and my family will lose its power within the community.

Nah his parents are just retarded that's all.
Jul 21, 2014 11:01 AM

Mar 2013
predatorvmt said:
Newhopes said:

Nope thats what tatsuya said he probably wouldn't be able to beat Juumonji no matter what he did.

Thats where it comes from......

Jul 21, 2014 11:29 AM

Aug 2012
I'm kinda disappointed for the fact that they made Masaki looked like Tatsuya's rival. Without dwelling into any LN spoilers, Tatsuya is waaaaaaaaay better than Masaki in all aspects (except for normal magic); physical ability, battlefield IQ, experience, better tuned CAD, and an imouto cheering at the sidelines.

"Masaki is also restricted because of the rules." Fun fact: Majority of Tatsuya's spells are high-grade "illegal" godly skills which only a few could cast whilst Masaki can wield some other numerous "acceptable" offensive spells.

"Tatsuya admits that he doubt that he'll win against him in an all-out fight." I'm disappointed about this actually. Iirc, this was never said in the LN nor implied in any way.

Putting all those aside, I think this is a pretty good adaptation of the rookie final match. I can't wait to see the end of this arc animated. :3
Jul 21, 2014 11:37 AM

Aug 2011
Tatsuya is basically god. He can do no wrong. And he's super duper self-insert.
Jul 21, 2014 11:49 AM

May 2012
Onii sama will never dissappoint his imouto
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Jul 21, 2014 12:57 PM

Feb 2014
julyan said:
I'm kinda disappointed for the fact that they made Masaki looked like Tatsuya's rival. Without dwelling into any LN spoilers, Tatsuya is waaaaaaaaay better than Masaki in all aspects (except for normal magic); physical ability, battlefield IQ, experience, better tuned CAD, and an imouto cheering at the sidelines.

"Masaki is also restricted because of the rules." Fun fact: Majority of Tatsuya's spells are high-grade "illegal" godly skills which only a few could cast whilst Masaki can wield some other numerous "acceptable" offensive spells.

"Tatsuya admits that he doubt that he'll win against him in an all-out fight." I'm disappointed about this actually. Iirc, this was never said in the LN nor implied in any way.

Putting all those aside, I think this is a pretty good adaptation of the rookie final match. I can't wait to see the end of this arc animated. :3

Masaki handicapped around 20% by rules.
Tatsuya handicapped 98% by rules. Sasuga onii-sama. Miyuki crying like a retard. lol. So dramatic.

Newhopes said:
predatorvmt said:

Thats where it comes from......

Then your knowledge about god Tatsuya is not enough.
Jul 21, 2014 2:20 PM
Oct 2008
Dear god the animation in that battle they really went all out
Jul 21, 2014 3:11 PM

Jul 2010
Xancia said:
Can't end an episode without an Onii-sama~
Jul 21, 2014 7:13 PM

May 2008
There seems to be some misconception about Tatsuya & the reason why the Yotsuba family doesn't accept him.

The official reason as stated in the Light Novels is that Tatsuya is a atypical mage that cannot use regular or modern magic. He can only "Destroy" (Decomposition & Gram Demolition etc) and "Create/Recreate" (Regrowth( Name of the restoration magic)).

Although this is not directly stated in the Light Novels (but it is implied) but the real reason that he is not accepted is because he is a dangerous existence. Not only is he incredibly intelligent, powerful and
JustiX-NLJul 21, 2014 8:01 PM
Jul 21, 2014 8:22 PM
Sep 2013
Just seeing how amazing this part was, made me contemplate what I'm doing with my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1KQIgjF-L0
Jul 22, 2014 2:51 AM

May 2013
JustiX-NL said:
There seems to be some misconception about Tatsuya & the reason why the Yotsuba family doesn't accept him.

The official reason as stated in the Light Novels is that Tatsuya is a atypical mage that cannot use regular or modern magic. He can only "Destroy" (Decomposition & Gram Demolition etc) and "Create/Recreate" (Regrowth( Name of the restoration magic)).

Although this is not directly stated in the Light Novels (but it is implied) but the real reason that he is not accepted is because he is a dangerous existence. Not only is he incredibly intelligent, powerful and

So Yotsuba fear Tatsuya? And what they do? Instead of raising him in luxury as a valuable family member, they treated him like a thing and maked him and Miyuki hating them. Yotsuba's logic...
Jul 22, 2014 3:25 AM

Jan 2014
jakkubus said:
JustiX-NL said:

So Yotsuba fear Tatsuya? And what they do? Instead of raising him in luxury as a valuable family member, they treated him like a thing and maked him and Miyuki hating them. Yotsuba's logic...
That's one retarded ass family Tatsuya got there. Ostracizing the most promising member of your clan instead of spoiling him rotten is the most effective way to turn him into a potential threat.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Jul 22, 2014 6:08 AM

May 2013
Sapewloth said:
jakkubus said:

That's one retarded ass family Tatsuya got there. Ostracizing the most promising member of your clan instead of spoiling him rotten is the most effective way to turn him into a potential threat.

Aleister Crowley from Toaru had a bettter way to deal with superpowered problem children... but he was a genius and Yotsuba are retards. :P
Jul 22, 2014 7:41 AM

Apr 2013
I want to see Tatsuya become even more powerful x.x

Jul 22, 2014 8:11 AM

Apr 2008
duderus said:
I want to see Tatsuya become even more powerful x.x

It'll probably require Miyuki dying or being really injured to make that happen I'd wager
Jul 22, 2014 8:54 AM

May 2008
Sapewloth said:

You don't seem to understand that such treatment (spoiling him) wouldn't work on Tatsuya because he approaches everything in a logical way and not emotional.
The only one he really care's for and wont betray is in the end Miyuki.
JustiX-NLJul 22, 2014 9:06 AM
Jul 22, 2014 4:25 PM

Feb 2011
[spoiler]
OH MY GOD WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT ANIMATION GDAGDA

Oh.. wait.

Jul 22, 2014 8:22 PM

Jan 2013
Blind_Guardian said:
I wonder if the Ancient Magic that Mikihiko was using hurts him physically ... that might explain why he looked so out of it at the end. Awesome how he took down the Cardinal. Leo had a good save, too, and took out the final guy. They didn't even need to mess around with the Monolith, they just went TPK on their asses.

Mikihiko still hadn't fully recovered from being slammed into the ground by Cardinal George. That's pretty much the reason he was flabbergasted by both Leo and Tatsuya; he just realized how massive the endurance gap is between him and them (though obviously he still doesn't have a clue regarding Tatsuya). Leo's is a descendant of a Fortress Series Magician (mentioned in the early episodes, can't remember which one) so physically he's basically the Magic equivalent of a super soldier (not sure how aware of that Mikihiko is, either.)
Jul 22, 2014 9:26 PM
Jul 2011
The part where Tatsuya uses his sixth sense when being cornered, and uses his self-restoration was it?
Then, make a big screeching noise with a snap of finger.

With his sixth sense, he was able to cancel out more of Masaki's projectiles more than with his five senses.
I was thinking many of those projectiles might go through, but of course even for less than a second, for 0.99 seconds.

Tatsuya recovered so fast, even at the timing being blown away by Masaki's attacks.

Mayumi and the others worried when they think that Tatsuya's attacking lessens as both Masaki and Tatsuya draws closer.

But aside from Tastsuya, Leo and Mikihiko actually survived through the end.
I wonder if some of Course 1 students change their opinions at Course 2 students.
rladls717Jul 22, 2014 9:29 PM
Jul 23, 2014 11:56 AM

May 2011
Glad to see from people's posts (who've read the LN) that Misaki isn't close to Tatsuya's level like he's made to be in this episode. I'd like to see Tatsuya continue to be OP and on top of everyone else ;D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2014 7:01 PM

Dec 2010
Probably the first enjoyable episode of this series. Hope it keeps up.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.