Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Le Chevalier d'Eon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2008 4:09 AM
Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yep, depressing to the last. It was a pretty cool show though, and I guess I only wish that it could have ended at least a bit happier. But hey, c'est la vie!
Feb 15, 2008 7:37 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, this was an amazing and tragic ending to one of the best series I've seen in a while. I still feel so sorry for Anna.
Jan 2, 2009 12:10 AM

May 2008
what an ending...
Jan 17, 2009 1:37 PM

Jun 2008
they didn't have to kill Anna too, she was like one person not involved in anything T_T one of the most depressing anime i've ever seen in my life ;_;
Mar 9, 2009 2:25 PM

Aug 2008
This is definitely one of the greatest anime I've ever seen! But...
I don't understand why D'eon live himself as woman??? In the real history he lived as woman in Louis XVI period....
(because king order him to do...)
But...
I expect ending could be different, anyway... the ending is really sad.....
Like everybody said poor Robin and D'eon...
But... Is definitely one of the greatest anime!
Mar 10, 2009 8:31 AM
Feb 2008
Yes this was a great anime I kinda expected this kind of end still it's sad for some reason I felt like crying v_v
Apr 30, 2009 10:32 PM

May 2008
The ending was super confusing, and not in a good way that makes me want to watch the series over again right away. But maybe I'm just slow. ^^;
May 16, 2009 12:19 AM

Mar 2009
great ending to a fantastic show.
Jun 21, 2009 2:07 AM

Aug 2008
Great show, but what a weird and hard to digest ending.
Mar 4, 2010 11:06 PM

Feb 2010
DonKangolJones said:
Great show, but what a weird and hard to digest ending.

agreed.... excellent show. The only reason I wouldn't give it a 10/10 is because of all the confusing elements and of the unexplained motives of many of the characters (Some of the main characters actions were unbelievable).

Excellent show none the less...I enjoyed the historical aspects, lush visuals, and great story. Why did all my fave characters have to die?!?!
Apr 4, 2010 7:49 PM

Jul 2008
Holy crap, that was just tragic. One character after the other just gets killed and each time it hurt me. I remembered D'eon saying how Anna didn't live long in earlier episodes, but I didn't think she was killed off like that. Just....D= I have to say though that the scene where D'eon kissed Anna was done beautifully.

In any case, this was a good conclusion to a good show. I really did adore some of the characters, especially Durand. Sadly, they all ended up dead. _O_ However, I really didn't expect or like, Teillagory's betrayal and Robin's change of sides, but that's just me. Also, I can't believe D'eon didn't have any other friend or family, aside from Queen Marie, with him after going through a crazy ordeal like that. It's also understandable that he dressed up as a women since then. Again, why Anna?! Damn, I am so emotional and jumbled up right now thinking about all this. _O_
Jul 23, 2010 12:26 AM

Mar 2008
I finished watching this Anime a while ago.. I lived abroad for 2 years and Le Chevalier D'eon was always showing there (Animaxx-Asia^^).. but I never understood the story.. (that's why I decided to not list it in my anime-list)
you really need to see every episode to understand everything.. might rewatch it again since I did kind of like it.. but it's really very confusing I have to admitt @.@ ..
Jul 31, 2010 8:30 AM

Jun 2009
What a sad ending. I nearly cried. And Robin? why do he have to change sides? Why do they have to kill Anna? I kinda felt sorry for De'on. Everyone gets killed. Yet it was a brilliant anime. But the anime was confusing but still I rated 10/10 because I really love this anime. And yeah, the kiss between De'on and Anna was beautiful. This anime is one of the best anime I watched.

Aug 16, 2010 9:30 AM
Jul 2010
So Robin became Robespierre...wow. I knew something like that had to happen because there was no way that that Robespierre was the "real" one.

Kind of a depressing ending, but a very good anime overall. I give it a 9/10.
Aug 16, 2010 11:58 PM

Apr 2009
Gave it a 9/10.
Some really deep shit. And tragically romantic as all hell. When the Louis XV killed Anne i actually choked up a bit.

Production IG always comes with it.
Aug 24, 2010 9:47 AM

Feb 2009
Very depressing indeed,but i can't realy imagine it any other way...guess it just had to be that way.And tragic love stories are always more touching,imo.This one for instance was.
I realy liked the moments when they recited psalms,it was very cool.
And the ending was well done and fitting the show.8/10 from me.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Aug 25, 2010 1:10 AM
Oct 2009
Just finished watching it. The ending really got me down, but not because I hated it, but because of its larger historical impact. As a great man once said: "...Whoa"

What attracted me to this anime is that its set right before the French revolution, and, because I like to learn more about it, I jumped right in. I appreciated all of the supernatural aspects and knowing that I can learn more about the real characters if I wanted... but, man, as another commentator mentioned, that's some heavy stuff. That kiss between D'Eon and Anna... not only was it beautiful, but you could really see the emotion in his face. Bravo Production I.G. Great episode, and AMAZING animation :D

Yeah...what do I say? *blown away*
Aug 25, 2010 8:11 AM

Oct 2009
Tragic ending as expected...guess they had to follow the "real story of D'Eon" a bit after all...since he was banished from France and lived rest of his/her life in England...still everything in this episode happened too fast and tad bit confusing. Though i wish they wouldn't have killed almost everyone in the show like that :'(

Especially Anna, i was like WTF NOOOOOOOOOOooooooo, i nearly cried...i expected Robin to save her oh well.

Robin changing his name was unexpected too.

Overall Production I.G did a great job...a great anime i give it 8/10, i really wanted to give it 9/10 but it had a little too many flaws...but definitely a underrated show.
Feb 12, 2011 5:01 PM

Sep 2008
Quite the amazing end to an epic anime.
The plot twists were great and for the most part the characters were very believable.

I didn't like Robin in the end, but I can understand and expected why he took on the role in the revolution. I guess I wanted the 4 knights to be buddy-buddy even though Telliagory broke that a while ago.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2011 5:15 AM

Feb 2011
I think they needed to spend more time on the end of the story. As told in the anime, it made everything that happened seem pointless. 23 episodes of action, intrigue and adventure just kind of fell apart at the end.

There are two types of anime - almost as good as Elfen Lied, and not as good as Elfen Lied.
May 20, 2011 7:15 PM

Apr 2007
DeathReaper said:
a great anime i give it 8/10, i really wanted to give it 9/10 but it had a little too many flaws
This is exactly how I feel. I really enjoyed the series and, from the beginning, didn't want to stop watching, but there are parts that bother me.

Also the English dub is awesome. I don't even want to try the Japanese version.
MonochromeJun 18, 2011 5:26 PM
Jun 26, 2011 1:32 PM

Nov 2007
Is it just me or does it seem like Broglie could be seen as the biggest bad guy in the show and Maximillian is a victim trying to regain what was wrongfully taken from him as he is hunted down by the person who took the place of his father and ancestors on the throne.
Aug 21, 2011 6:53 AM

Feb 2011
To sum it up: The King killed Lia and many others, in order to hide the fact that Maximilien should have been the real king. Also Max and Lia are siblings (awkward incest moment) and are of royal blood.
Overall this anime had great potential but ended as something mediocre. The historical and political part is completely wrong… But what really made me angry are the plot holes, the slow (boring) pacing and the fact that people are behaving randomly and out of character all the time. 6/10
Nov 2, 2011 5:42 AM

Sep 2008
Interesting anime. The anime's plot was quite confusing at 1st but I grasped it eventually. The history part was clear to me. I know all the characters on a historical basis and the events. Which concludes me that it was Robin (New Maximillien) that was guillotined at the end right?

also, poor Anna! and I pity D'eon so much. All was taken away from him. It was weird he lived his life as a woman though.>.>

I guess one of my favorites is still alive aside from the main. Read> Queen Mary :)

thx 2 Rinjii 4 d sigy^^
Dec 29, 2011 2:24 PM

Aug 2009
First episodes were a bit of meh, at first I though it was kinda mediocre, but after this ending and the eps that preceded it, it's quite the opposite.

Aside from all the tragic deaths (Anna and the queen D: ), I though the way D'Eon endeed was pretty depresing too... disguised as a woman and alone, still loving Anna...

DeathReaper said:
a great anime i give it 8/10, i really wanted to give it 9/10 but it had a little too many flaws

Yeah, and specially the history ones... I know it's an anime but, just no.

Plus, the.ED.simply.beautiful♥.
Jan 4, 2012 11:27 PM

Apr 2009
9/10

The art and music was great, and I really enjoyed the historical parallels too. I only really had a problem with the ending (it was summed up too quickly) and I was left a little confused with what actually happened from all of the summarizing. Good anime though. Fun one.
Jul 25, 2012 10:26 AM

Jul 2011
So glad I didnt drop it at the first eps..... a well-deserved 8/10
Aug 13, 2012 9:07 PM
Aug 2012
To sum it up to confuse people in anime
D'eon had to dress as a girl because lia and d'eon are one as in the episode were queen Mary talk to d'eon first time

d'eon spent his time with Mary because they both exist as vessel for the soul

Robin became the robispiere, famously the reign of terror in France he was guillotine in the end

As for why the servant didn't kill the real bloodline (lia and maximillien) because they had some loyalty for being servants

Maybe the saying don't judge a book by its cover goes to anime as well
Correct me if I'm wrong
Nov 17, 2012 9:04 AM
Jan 2009
i got the story up till episode 23. had no idea what went on in 24......i saw it but wtf
Dec 27, 2012 5:13 AM
Aug 2011
Nope, I'm not buying Robin as Robespierre. He is a sweet and humble boy. Even if the traumas he suffered changed him, I will never believe he became the Robespierre we know. A different one maybe?...But then why guillotining him ?D: the dearest character of all. Robin's fate and Anna's death both traumatized me. And the ending was just mindf****. I don't get the last episode at all :D... THis show went from solid 7/10 to wow 9/10 ..to pure wtf. i will give 8/10, probably but I need to rewatch the last episode
Jan 19, 2013 7:10 AM
Feb 2012
I cant find a decent version of this anymore. ANyone knows where i could download this?
Feb 14, 2013 7:20 PM
Feb 2013
Oct 7, 2013 4:43 AM

Mar 2009
HallonTaton said:
I cant find a decent version of this anymore. ANyone knows where i could download this?

Bakabt has a torrent. It's decent.
Nov 28, 2014 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

What a great series finale, really addictive and melancholy, this is that it is a final. Really beautiful designs and animations. The narrative was interesting this time, I was involved 100%.
The characters were interesting and I liked them all.
My vote goes from 7/10 to 8/10!
Dec 23, 2014 7:56 AM

Feb 2012
Oh man this show was pure greatness.

And that ending was awesome and sad at the same time, poor Robin.

Sadly they don't make em like this anymore. :(

10/10, insta fav.
Jan 20, 2015 1:54 AM

Jul 2014
10/10, what a finale. And to think that this anime actually followed real history. Makes me shiver. What a beautiful series.
Feb 17, 2015 11:37 AM

May 2012
Very solid ending if you ask me! Pretty decent and action filled and well that sure made it quite interesting! So all in all a quite good anime if you ask me.
Dec 7, 2015 10:42 AM

Dec 2012
Goodness I had a mouthful to say but this ending has left me speechless. Like what..why...what was the point?

I was not expecting a (nearly) full cast kill off. No one got a happy ending. Neither revolution nor His Majesty brought about a hopeful end result. All of these characters died for ideals that bore no fruit towards a brighter tomorrow. The one that got me the most was Robin. He was naive and inexperienced. Hopeful and ambitious. He devoted his everything to his comrades and the queen, only to have his faith in knighthood, the king, and France torn asunder when all of this was lost. My heart sank when Robin changed his name to Maximilien. It sank even deeper when D'Eon found the pocket watch covered in blood and the glimmer of the guillotine under the clear blue sky.

And then there's D'Eon. His survival is possibly the most tragic because despite putting Lia's soul to rest, he had lost his sense of identity. Seeing him at old age in a dress was very unsettling. The scene ends with words inscribed into a stone "France parole eternelle." From what I looked up (could be wrong), it would roughly translate to "France word eternal." Based on how important words were throughout the series, it feels like this is supposed to represent D'Eon's (and Lia's) unwavering loyalty to France. This can also be seen when they refuse to kill Louis XV, as allowing him to live showed loyalty to France as well as nqm - retribution for his wrongdoings.

To boil all of it down - each character had an ideology larger than life to follow which resulted in each of them being forced to walk down different paths despite the tragedy it brought.

Tragic as it was, it was brilliant nonetheless.

One of the first things I noticed when I started Le Chevalier is that the team behind it understood the culture and time period. I've briefly studied these time periods and how the people behaved. The few mannerisms I could follow were spot on along with the formal language and clever choice of words. And that's hella impressive when subtitles are able to convey those formalities and subtle references. The whole idea of the Psalms having power was fascinating as well. I'd guess to someone not so well versed in the Bible it would have seemed like random chanting but every psalm that was used had a purpose in the context of what was going on.

Overall I found myself completely immersed into the unraveling mystery behind the Psalms and France. Considering how things were going for 20 episodes I was not expecting the tone to become so morbid. The final 2 episodes reminded me of Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal. Most particularly Robin's choices.

9/10, blessed is my score for this show.
ZekkenshinDec 7, 2015 10:48 AM
Jan 26, 2016 2:33 PM

Sep 2014
They just killed and backstabbed everyone, lol.

On a more serious note: The final few episodes have been pretty weird. I liked how they handled some scenes and parts of the solution but also though that a good chunk of the solution was handled pretty poorly. For example, I didn't like how they used the flashbacks of Lia inside D'Eon to show a lot of what has happened. It takes away from the whole journey. I also didn't like how everyone of the 4 backstabbed their friends sooner or later. Every character seemed to have their own selfish ideas what would be best for france and surely france stood above everything else for them.
The end also felt rushed at times. While I thought the pacing of the whole story was done very very well it jumped a bit too much towards the end. The drama felt a bit forced at times. They went for the full tragedy ending, which is fine, but with the pacing it felt like they just tried to pour as much drama in as possible.

It's pitiful that such a great series got such a weak ending, really. A 3-cour might have been a better idea for this for better character development and solution/content of the psalms.

All in all I still consider this a very good show. It just saddens me that it easily could have been even better.
Mar 1, 2016 7:17 AM

Jun 2011
Ending feels like it is supposed to be this epic grand finale or something, I like the feel of it, but throughout the series, there were so many confusing/vague moments that just left me feeling confused. I feel like this is one of the historical series where you gain more out of it if you actually know something about the actual history.

The plot with the cult/revolutionary was meh to be honest, it's like they showed them in one episode, gave them 3 episodes to do something, then off-ed them in 2 minutes, it felt half-assed.

The ending also made me feel that this would have been a much epic/tragic tale had the use of supernatural been removed, but that wasn't possible.

The last few episodes were definitely exciting, but the rest of the series felt kinda boring to me.

Also, what in the world happened to Robin, that change in him was not natural.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 3, 2016 4:09 PM
Apr 2016
After watching this 20 times its dark. Like no one got a happy ending.
Apr 7, 2017 4:24 PM
Dec 2014
Vive la France.

A good show, series like these makes anime almost respectable!
Nov 2, 2018 2:35 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That was a lot darker than I expected. After all the characters went through, ending like that was really tough to swallow. That said, an very good series. Wish they made more stuff like every now and again.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 21, 2019 4:06 PM

Nov 2016
Man I love series that end on a melancholic note like this one. At first it was the plot that got me really hooked with it's great pacing and insane twists, but eventually I fell for the characters too and once the drama reached it's climax I was simpy overwhelmed by so many emotions.

What a gem

8,5/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 14, 2020 2:58 AM

Dec 2008
So...what was the deal with D'Eon siding with protecting the throne (I think that's what they said), despite Louis giving him every reason to kill him? I get he's meant to be loyal to France, but THE DUDE KILLED YOUR SISTER TO PROTECT HIS LINEAGE!

I feel like this is a 3/5 maybe a 3.5/5. Found it dull, vague and anti-climatic at times but there was some merit. I did at least like Durand, Robin was sweet (though maybe they should've sewed the seeds for his heel-turn sooner), and D'Eon was a bit dull for my liking.
May 11, 2021 7:36 AM
Mar 2016
The ending had me so lost. I have more questions than answers. I think the show made a bad job explaining the whole thing, which is a let down since the last few episodes have been back to back bangers. People dying left and right ever since Durand. Didn't expect Robin to go down like that too. I wonder if D'eon lived his later years in regret or was able to find peace? Quite a tragic Ending for everyone in the end.

The pacing was also too slow, especially for the 1st half. The English Dub is Solid so u can watch that since the sub might feel even slower.

A rating of 7.22 (as of now) is way too low imo. It is at least a 7.6.

8/10. Very underrated.
Jul 25, 2022 2:59 PM

Jan 2020
Well, we finally found out the truth behind everything, but it just feels a bit underwhelming. But, what really irked me was the last couple minutes felt an awful lot like propaganda.

Overall, I feel like this was a good idea, but it was just poorly executed. There were some parts that were interesting, but there were a lot of parts that I struggled to stay focused on. For the past week I've just been watching an episode or two a day to try and get through it. Anymore than that and it felt like I wasn't absorbing the content. It needed something to make it more engaging. It certainly wasn't a bad watch, it just isn't all that great either.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Oct 31, 2023 2:56 AM
Jul 2021
Finally managed to finish this trite. The butchering of historical figures was too much to handle, George III didn't freely abdicate, he was the "mad King" that "lost" the USA. Also the way they constructed the MC was pathetic, they should have dropped the entire "Lia" story line/MC mental & sex confusion bit, but I suppose that we had to push a certain agenda even back then....

Plus the feminist trite on episode 8 and 9 was tiresome. This is what I hate about anime, stop doing "historical anime/in historical settings" just to infuse them with modern propaganda like feminism/lgbt b.s.

Bro good riddance & good bye, don't ever come back! It would be even more cringe if done today 2023. Instead of a ghost the MC would be a full on fat ugly asf tranny 🤮🤮

Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣

More topics from this board

Poll: » Le Chevalier D'Eon Episode 1 Discussion

Genevieve11 - Nov 27, 2008

24 by removed-user »»
Feb 23, 2023 6:29 AM

Poll: » Le Chevalier D'Eon Episode 23 Discussion

zippy - Jan 27, 2008

11 by commonxreaction »»
Jul 25, 2022 2:32 PM

Poll: » Le Chevalier D'Eon Episode 22 Discussion

MusashiRose - Mar 4, 2010

8 by commonxreaction »»
Jul 24, 2022 7:35 AM

Poll: » Le Chevalier D'Eon Episode 21 Discussion

zippy - Jan 27, 2008

10 by commonxreaction »»
Jul 24, 2022 7:06 AM

Poll: » Le Chevalier D'Eon Episode 20 Discussion

zippy - Jan 27, 2008

14 by commonxreaction »»
Jul 23, 2022 7:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.