Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Jan 14, 2015 7:15 PM

Aug 2014
This was one of the best anime I've ever seen.
I can't even describe it in words the impact this episode had on me.
When you grow up a lot of things change; you encouter talent, fame, money, sucsess, loss. But this all doesn't hold anything against the happiness you have as a kid. Happiness that makes you smile ;)
SternenkindNov 13, 2016 12:38 PM
Jan 29, 2015 8:48 AM

Aug 2014
Anime of the year 2014.
Feb 14, 2015 8:36 AM

Feb 2013
Just finished watching this. I love this anime so much. I don't have anything else to say tbh. 10/10 from me
Feb 14, 2015 10:20 PM
Aug 2014
definitely one of the best sports anime. heck, one of the best coming of age anime. for some reason i'm really really happy peco won. maybe i just root for the underdog, but all the pieces fit into place so well.
Feb 14, 2015 10:35 PM

Aug 2013
Trojan_Invasion said:
Anime of the year 2014.

You're forgetting "Space Brothers".
Feb 19, 2015 5:56 AM

Apr 2009
wow. I'm just incredibly surprised - I never understood why an anime about Ping Pong would get such high ratings, eventually I gave it a try, and wow. Honestly, the best, 11 episode series I have ever seen. Usually short series have flaws due to having to fit everything into such a small number of episodes, but wow - I'm impressed. Thinking back, I can't really think of any flaws, Amazing from start to finish, perfect ending to a perfect series. Masaaki Yuasa really worked wonders on this.
Feb 20, 2015 6:36 AM

Oct 2010
Amazing. Truly amazing.

The characters stayed true to themselves... what a wonderful story and what a wonderful presentation.
Feb 22, 2015 4:05 PM

Jan 2014
I don't remember the last time a show made me feel like this. I don't even know how to describe it.
If I could meet the people who worked on this show I would shake all of their hands and kowtow several times. They have created a masterpiece.
Mar 1, 2015 12:52 AM

Apr 2014
THIS ANIME IS GOLD. 10/10
Mar 4, 2015 10:38 AM

Mar 2014
good thing i gave it a try despite being hesitant at first because of the art style. i didnt expect peco to win against smile but in the end it was all for the best. seeing all of the characters attain their ideal life destinations is what made the ending very satisfying. great ride, im pretty sure i wont be seeing something as unique as this for quite some time
why am i so well drawn into time travel stories?
do i really have that many regrets?
Mar 9, 2015 12:04 AM

Jan 2014
That was great, the animation was perfect ! Smile was my favorite character. 8/10 anime
Mar 22, 2015 8:47 PM

Mar 2012
Seems Smile is truly happy now :) Spectacular anime overall which shows that even with funky animation you can still tell a great story with very well developed characters. The only one thing that kinda bugged me was that Peco was able to beat Smile with injured knee and all. After the intense match with Kazama it's odd that he was still able to play well enough to beat Smile which makes it feel a bit like he just won because he was the MC.

Besides that small gripe, amazing job and congratulations for winning the well deserved award of AOTY :)
Mar 29, 2015 5:55 PM

Sep 2013
Undoubtedly a Yuasa creation.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Apr 1, 2015 10:21 AM

Mar 2013
No wonder it won in Tokyo Anime Awards. I decided to watch this when i heard that news, and i regret nothing. It was brilliant. The dialogues were meaningful.

I'm happy Peco won and Smile's smile was beautiful :)
Also happy for Wenge. I really like listening to their chinese conversations.. :D
Apr 1, 2015 9:03 PM

Nov 2013
This is without a doubt my most favorite episode in anime period. I've watched it five times and it only gets better each time. This series is truly a masterpiece
Apr 2, 2015 6:24 PM

Aug 2014
What a perfect ending to this show. a 10 easily
Apr 29, 2015 8:40 AM

Jan 2012
Nice ending.
who was the black guy.Peco best player as suspected

May 4, 2015 8:07 PM
Aug 2010
oh my goodness, that was so nice.
i'm glad kong got to move forward with his playing! and i knew peco had to win, but i wish smile would have somehow. still, it was really nice to see him look so genuinely satisfied after the timeskip!
まぁ、全部嘘だけどね。
May 28, 2015 11:49 PM

Jul 2011
What thefuuuckk?? that was fuckin amazin'. In only 11 episodes, this show had better story, character development and pacing that most crap I watch nowadays. Its a damn shame the animation is bad but dam that hardly ever took the enjoyment out of it. The music, the picture shots, the way it progressed and the finale was all good. Well shit Im glad I picked this up I was hesitant at first but this shit is fire!!
May 30, 2015 1:15 PM
Nov 2014
Is it just me or does the ending song get less and less robotic as the series goes on? 😭😏
Jun 6, 2015 12:05 AM

Jun 2014
this was a masterpiece
:3
Jun 7, 2015 9:42 AM

Jul 2013
Is there some rule that every anime people like for being subversive has to have a vague ending? I like it when it's done well, but this was unsatisfying. I really want to know if Smile let Peco win or not. I think that's important even given that the show "isn't about ping pong" like people harp on and on about. I suppose his reaction to losing points to him going back to his old merciful ways. I was hoping Smile would become his own hero and become self-reliant but I guess this show is encouraging people to live in mediocrity as long as the person you idolize is happy. It would have made more sense if Peco and Smile were in love since at least there's the love logic. They could have been the least attractive yaoi boys ever. The wrap-up was rushed. It doesn't make sense that Smile became an elementary school teacher. He doesn't have the people skills for that. Still a great show when it comes down to it, but the episode that preceded this one blew it away.
Jun 17, 2015 8:11 AM

Apr 2007
It's been a while since I finished the anime...

I just finished the manga. The bit about
wasn't in there. That was an anime-only invention? I'm really surprised, because it felt like such a natural and fitting end to his story.
Jun 18, 2015 3:59 AM
Jun 2015
Super finale
Jun 23, 2015 10:41 PM

Dec 2013
This felt a slightly rushed but it was pretty satisfying. Wished this series had more episodes :(

Overall 9/10
Jun 29, 2015 8:03 PM

Jun 2013
I was really hesitant to start this series, mainly because of the art style. Then one day I just went "eh, I've heard things about this, I'll give it a go". Two episodes in and I was addicted.

Lotta heartwarming moments and epic moments throughout this series.
9/10 for sure.
Jul 22, 2015 10:53 AM

Nov 2013
Pond said:
It's been a while since I finished the anime...

I just finished the manga. The bit about
wasn't in there. That was an anime-only invention? I'm really surprised, because it felt like such a natural and fitting end to his story.

the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 26, 2015 5:36 AM
Oct 2014
I'm impressed, 8/10.

It isn't as good as I expected though.
Aug 1, 2015 12:48 PM

Sep 2009
Amazing
Aug 3, 2015 3:13 PM

Aug 2014
Such an AMAZING anime! Loved every moment though the animation was not quite that good. Wenge, Smile and a majority of the cast really grew on me despite only being 11 episodes long.

9/10
Aug 13, 2015 6:28 PM

Feb 2015
Just as great on rewatch. Ping Pong is a freaking blast!
Aug 30, 2015 7:25 AM

Jun 2009
It was good. Torn between a 7 and an 8. 7/10 for now I guess.
Sep 24, 2015 9:24 AM

Feb 2010
This anime is great , feels are everywhere...
still dissapointed because Smile didn't go to become a pro player :(
Peco was just like a shounen main character ,but the one most interesting & portrayed so well here was Smile so never mind that.
9/10

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Nov 7, 2015 2:02 PM

Aug 2014
Great Anime , Best Sport anime i have ever seen ( second to it is Slam Dunk ).
I loved almost every episode , great character development although i did not favor a character so much but all of them were likable and very well written.

Story is great also , good animation and sound , loved the unique style of the art/drawing .
OST are just wow ( excellent ) , good OP+ending , also it had amazing ping pong matches.

It lacked some things to get to a masterpiece level but nevermind it is a must watch anime imo.

i would rate it 8.5/10

A Very Enjoyable Anime
Dec 14, 2015 12:16 AM

Jun 2015
Good ending to a wonderful anime.
:)
Jan 8, 2016 4:04 PM

Feb 2012
What a ride, easy 10/10. When they started singing i almost cried.

Gonna miss this show.
Feb 2, 2016 9:12 AM

Jan 2015
This episode was wonderful! The 3 last episodes made me jump the score of this from 6 to 9
Seeing the things that happened to everyone was beautiful!
And the OST... Is perfect!
As I read on some comment on the internet:
"Ping Pong the animation is not about ping pong but about relationships, not only the protagonists but every character has its dramas and clashes to be resolved. Peco and Smile are so antagonistic as the words ping pong (which resemble Ying and Yang), are two opposites that complement each other. It is clear that the whole story centers around the friendship between the two. Smile, winning the nickname for not showing emotions discovers in ping pong a source of joy, it reveals an exceptional player with no opponents that can beat him, returning to the robot he was before, he needs a hero to save him. We see it in the episode where Peco see the photo of Smile smiling, at that time he understands that he must return to play and needs to excel as a player, in the end he not only saved his friend as return to the path to be the best player in the world, his childhood dream that had been abandoned, then you wonder who saved whom."
Feb 26, 2016 12:43 PM

Aug 2015
I will miss this anime :')
Mar 4, 2016 1:05 PM
Jun 2015
It's a awesome sport anime. It not only talk about ping pong but also take you to extremes of sense.
Mar 28, 2016 1:35 PM

Dec 2012
This is definitely one of the better sports anime out there.

Peco became the best one huh?
Mar 29, 2016 4:07 AM

Apr 2015
It's scary how an 11-episode anime has more character development than in other animes.

9/10

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Apr 2, 2016 7:13 AM

Apr 2011
Simple put, an amazing series. Definately one of the best I have seen.

The characters, their symbolism and their growth in just 11 episodes is something you rarely see. The music and the unique animation really impressed me as well.

10/10.
Apr 4, 2016 7:04 PM

Feb 2016
Perfect! Personally I can't fault this show, I have issues with my other favourite anime even when I'm biased favourably towards them but not this one. This one has truly surpassed the mountain.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Apr 25, 2016 1:04 AM

Oct 2015
I like that it didn't complicate itself
And the ending wasn't overexposed
leaving it to the audience

+ the only anime that spelled the brand names right

e.g. pepsi and meiji

- i always hate the main protagonist for no reason
Smile is an exception
Jul 9, 2016 11:59 PM

Feb 2015
Stark700 said:

And a great finale to warp up this show.

warp? nothing in this show is warped!

Barion-Zara said:

And the picture of the ceremony with Peco and the winner and Smile smiling even though he's second was beautiful :*)

smile never wanted to win. he just wanted to play a gamne he thought was fun. it never mattered to him, which is a beautiful thing.

Kitoge said:
OH YEAH! Forgot to mention...that paddle at the end haha

IKR? how old must it be?? lol

IntroverTurtle said:
Anyone notice ocean guy at Peco's Germany match?

i thought it was swedish :T

and no, i didn't!

Jinkuro said:
AOTY.

the heck does that mean?

xchee said:
My reaction:

put some tears in it and that'll be mine.

Pxi2 said:
Are people crying because of how epic it was? I thought it was a pretty happy ending for all of the characters.

i didn't cry, but i seriously teared up in my soul when the children were singing.

yodsanklai said:
Loved this moment.

I KNOOOOOW RIGHT. WAS GETTING TEARED UP AND SMILING SO HARD.

Winter_Fox_Ryuko said:
A wonderful ending, though one change that made me sort of sad was

aw, well hooray for the adaptation :3

rachipupu said:
did anybody notice the timeline?
I thought it was set in 1996 like in the manga, but on the peco and smile's interhigh photo it's written "14 6/20" (June 20th 2014)

And on the Kong's web news, the date is written "2019年 6月 25日" (25th June 2019)
which means the last scene was 5 year after the interhigh match.

thanks for that tidbit!

galimx said:
People can fly.

Amen.

kyothine said:
http://finewhiningandbreathing.wordpress.com/2014/07/01/the-journey-to-enlightenment-in-ping-pong-the-animation/

I’ve recently been catching myself rewatching the last few episodes of Ping Pong over and over again. The show is incredibly well-constructed, with every frame and shot made with the complete dedication that only a genius like Masaaki Yuasa could offer. After reading select chapters from the Ping Pong manga, it’s obvious that Yuasa improved heavily upon the original work by adding his own flair. It’s difficult not to scream out in internal joy when we see folks like Kazama and Smile finally becoming enlightened at the end of the show.

Yes, enlightened. Peco is the hero who, in his own quest for personal enlightenment, touches and changes the lives of the people he meets along the way. He is a perfect Buddhist teacher, capable of uplifting even the most ignorant and unenlightened of people, and he does so with the sublime and simple grace of a true hero.

“Ping Pong: The Animation” does not focus on particular ping pong games at all, and unlike any other sports anime, the show places very little emphasis on ping pong athleticism alone. Instead, we see the shared narrative of the Ping Pong Learner, always on his quest for enlightenment, continually interpreted and reinterpreted in the personal lives and emotional developments of the characters. Ping pong is the human activity that has brought a cast from far-flung and diverse backgrounds and dispositions together, each of whom carrying a personal definition and purpose to ping pong in his or her heart. Yuasa tells us this explicitly when he brings Butterfly Jo, the Old Lady of the Dojo, and the CEO of Poseidon back together for a brief reunion, the first time we ever see all three of them on screen at once.

Throughout every episode, we see varying degrees of people becoming closer to enlightenment, or sometimes straying from the true path. In the very first episode, we encounter a naive Peco whose heart is fundamentally pure and good but has been tainted by the material vices of competitive greed and arrogance. We see a condescendingly elitist Kong, who has become so obsessed with honor and status that he cannot find any enjoyment out of playing ping pong in Japan. When Peco challenges Kong, he suddenly realizes how large and vast the world of ping pong is and begins to question his own talents. He realizes that he is not the center of the universe of ping pong. His pride already wounded, Peco suffers another blow when he loses a ping pong match against Manabu, someone that he had previously condemned for being talentless and unsportsmanlike. In despair, Peco is taught his first lesson.

But like most unenlightened creatures, Peco does not initially understand the true nature of what he was taught. His sudden exposure to such dangerous amounts of information, instead of enlightening him, ironically causes him to forget his own purpose in life. Peco abandons ping pong as a sport altogether and figures himself to be a small fish struggling in a vast pond. He no longer understands what “talent” is and indulges himself in material pleasures, eating chocolates and cigarettes without a care for the world. He largely abandons his previous identity as an athlete, and along with it, his relationship with Smile, who takes over as the ace.

After Peco leaves, Smile begins retreating more and more underneath his robotic persona, engaging in no emotional exchanges and playing ping pong with a frighteningly intense strength. Smile crushes Manabu AKA “Akuma” after the latter arrogantly challenges him to an informal match, but Smile strangely shows mercy to Kong Wenge, sparing him from a humiliating defeat by deliberately throwing a game. But this discrepancy in Smile’s merciful behavior can be explained.

In sparing Kong but crushing Manabu, Smile actually allows both players to become closer to enlightenment. Kong would never allow himself to lose to Smile, as Smile is a low-ranking student from a no-name high school. In contrast, Kazama is a high-ranking player, the star child of Poseidon and Kaio. Kong knows that Kazama may be a worthy opponent and he opens himself up to the possibility of defeat, and with that, the possibility of enlightenment. Kong’s ensuing panic when he sees the monstrous Purple Dragon therefore marks a step closer in Kong’s journey of self-discovery.

Eventually, Kong’s panic subsides when he realizes that both he and Kazama are fighting as fiercely as they possibly can, and with Kazama as the objectively better player at that point in time, Kong realizes that there is no shame in losing. Even Kong’s coach, who screamed at Kong as he almost lost to the low-status Smile, realizes that it was only natural for Kong to lose to Kazama.
Ping Pong: the Animation - Kong Wenge and his coach smiling despite losing
Kong leaves the match with a smile on his face. With a new perspective on life, Kong is reborn and begins rebuilding his life in Japan, not as an arrogant, status-obsessed celebrity but as a humble and loving ping pong coach, surrounded by loyal students and friends who accompany him and his mother on a cold Christmas Eve.

Similarly, when Smile defeats Manabu, the latter finally comes to a realization that he had been running from his entire life; he simply does not have the talent for ping pong. His natural deficiencies (such as his incurably poor eyesight and implied learning disability) mean that his union with ping pong is a completely unharmonious one; although it is true that Manabu could spend tens of thousands of hours improving himself, he is only paddling against a roaring river and will inevitably be swept away by more talented players. Like the ping pong ball that eludes his grasp during the final round, Manabu’s dreams of ping pong greatness are simply unattainable.

With this, Manabu liberates himself from the futile hardship of playing ping pong, for only suffering can come from his competition in a field where he is at such a natural disadvantage. Like Kong, Manabu slowly but steadily rebuilds his life as a new man. Reborn, enlightened, and free from the blindness of purposeless competition, Manabu realizes that he must talk to Peco, who has become an unbridled hedonist.

Manabu screams at Peco, begging him not to throw away his natural talent. Peco, struck with melancholy at hearing words that are far too true, reminisces on his days as a beloved local celebrity ping pong player. Peco tries to run away from it all by jumping in the river for a semi-delusional swim. However, his clothes, just like his inner doubts and material degeneracy, weigh him down in the river, and he flails helplessly. The already enlightened Manabu knows that he must help Peco, and as he lifts Peco’s unconscious body from the sea, he so too uplifts Peco from his material delusions. Having experienced a revelation in the sea, Peco realizes that he must learn ping pong all over again in order to rediscover his purpose in life, returning to Zen Buddhist “beginner’s state.”

After weeks of dedicated practice, Peco returns to competitive ping pong as a new man with a completely changed style of play. And it is then that Peco encounters Kazama.

For Kazama, ping pong is only a means to maintain familial dignity. Kazama gains no personal joy from ping pong, as victory is his duty, something that he must attain over and over again in order to prevent his “family”, namely his team, school, and family’s company, from losing face. He secludes himself in a bathroom every match in order to isolate himself from these people, because in Kazama’s eyes, these “family” members are not family at all — they are simply faceless blobs to whom he owns a communal mandate.

When Kazama hears that Peco purports himself to be a hero of ping pong, Kazama bursts into an unprofessional fury for the first time in his career, shouting “Aren’t you the hero? Aren’t you going to save us all?!” — but he does so only because Kazama is the one who desires most strongly to be saved.

As the two continue playing, Peco asks himself why he plays ping pong. He recalls Smile’s voice in his head, and Peco realizes that he plays ping pong because it is fun in and of itself.

To Peco, ping pong is not a means to an end. It is simply an end-in-itself, a demonstration of sublime human athleticism, an activity that makes one attuned to the blood in one’s veins, and realizing this, Peco forgets about the material leg-wound that hinders him and fills himself with a contagious enthusiasm. To Kazama, it looks as if Peco is flying, and it is obvious that Peco is indulging in the true joy of ping pong. With Manabu’s words ringing in his ears, “Who do you play ping pong for?!” — Kazama is witnessing something that he thought was impossible; a ping pong player truly having fun for ping pong in itself, not out of competitive arrogance, status-seeking elitism, or familial duty.

Still in denial, Kazama, unwilling to acknowledge how desperately he wishes to be saved, shouts that “There are no heroes! You can only trust your own strength.” We see an image of him peacefully locking himself up in a quiet bathroom stall, only for the hero of ping pong to force the rooftop open, allowing light to reach in for the first time.

Kazama looks up hopefully, extending his arm towards the hero, but the hero takes his hand back. The hero does this because he know that he may show his student the path to enlightenment, but the student must engage in the true path of his own free will. And so Kazama actively acknowledges the hero using his own will, sprouting wings of his own and soaring beyond the isolation of the dark bathroom stall.

In that moment, Kazama remembers the words of his father, a man whom he had regarded as foolish and idealistic for constantly dreaming of flying, a man whom he had held in contempt for committing suicide and abandoning Kazama on the steps of a mountaintop: “Do you like ping pong, Ryuichi? Is it fun?” Suddenly, Kazama realizes that his father was right all along, and he returns to the Zen beginner’s state that he had as a child.

He screams at his team — a stand-in for his “family” — to shut up, for he no longer needs their gutteral screams and vicious reminders of his duty in order to motivate himself. He has transcended the need for duty and discovered his reason for playing ping pong from within, and he begins to play with a newfound vigor, gracefully admitting defeat when Peco finally proves himself to be the better player. Finally free from his filial burdens, Kazama can now finally appreciate his teammates, his father, and his family as something other than a constant reminder of an unavoidable duty.

Throughout all of these successive enlightenments, we have been left wondering why Smile has been playing ping pong this entire time. But Peco knows that Smile has been beckoning him. Unlike the others, Smile is actually completely aware of his own unenlightened state. Smile is unenlightened because he has forgotten how to live, and how to be human. His state of unenlightenment cannot be broken by rational, and logical means; it can only be shattered through the awakening of his human spirit. But Smile has locked himself up in a robotic shell, just as he had when he retreated in a locker in his elementary school days, but he cannot open the locker by himself, for a barrier on the outside prevents his access.

He needs a hero to save him, and that hero is the finally-enlightened Peco. In the last game of ping pong that we see in the show, Smile is stressed to his physical limit, and he reaches his arm to hit a shot that no reasonable man would; in order to hit the ball, he takes off the iron armor that encases him without a thought in the world. He reaches for the ball, not as a calculating machine but as a spirited human man, ascending higher than any robot would, and in so doing, he attains enlightenment in front of a crowd of thousands.

Peco and Smile explore the days of their childhood, becoming children at the ping pong table, each returning to a Zen beginner state, and with adrenaline and iron flowing through his blood, Smile revels in his newfound humanity. We learn that Smile had always asked “Think I can be like you, Peco?” not because Smile wanted to imitate Peco’s achievements, as Manabu did; Smile only wanted to be like Peco so that he could become a fully actualized human being.

Smiles remembers his time learning with Peco, and he remembers the sheer joy that only a ping pong game with his only friend Peco could bring to him, and he remembers why life is worth living. Having finally achieved enlightenment, Smile sheds a tear, smiling for the first time since his childhood.

And it is then that Peco, having brought back so many stray sheep into true enlightenment, has completed his heroic mission. “Ping Pong: The Animation” is not a story about sports at all. It is a story of personal growth and emotional development, a multi-dimensional Bildungsroman that explores the maturity and changing beliefs of an incredibly diverse and vivid cast of characters. It is a story about what it means to be human, and like all humans, it expresses itself in different ways.

from reading that, it makes me appreciate smile and love peco/ko even more.

HandsomeMan said:

I'm pretty sure Smile told his coach that he does intend to exploit his knee weakness, but he previously said that heroes have no weaknesses. That and his other speeches pretty much told me that what he meant by that, is that even if he did try his best and exploited that weakness, he knew that Peco would come out on top regardless.

And we saw this when they started their match. Smile was giving his best too during the match. So it's a slightly different scenario from their coaches' history.

so basically exploiting peco/ko's knee would be like patting it. because he's a hero.

so basically more pecoko worship :P
-------
PECOKO WON!!!!!! i was TOTALLY expecting him to get rekt by smile. but he was a dang on powerhouse from smile's first serve! but to be honest, i still would have loved it if smilebwon as well. i would have felt the same :)

and lemme just say....the part when they were fighting, with the flashbacks, and the children singing, smile crying....BEST PART OF THE ENTIRE SERIES!

i love pecoko. i always have from the beginning. i was so happy that the writing didn't go the cleche route - when he lost he would get jealous of smile.

i was disappointed to see them so suddenly adults (how the HECK is the coach and the old lady alive by this point?!?!?!?) but that is just a personal problem since i don't really like people growing up in stories.

everyone moved on and got a life. it turns out that the only name ping pong was calling the whole time was pecoko's.
and turns out in the end, smile and pecoko were both heroes for each other. i can't think of a better friendship i have ever read or seen.

bravo. not only the story is praiseworthy, but the OST is as well, and the voice acting! ESPECIALLY pecoko's. and the little kid voice acting in this ep! it wasn't a rehash of the voice actor but in a higher voice, REAL little kids! i'm so surprised at how much the kids perfected smile and pecoko's personalities and voice attitudes. 100% surprised and proud. the animation was wonderful, again, perfection. especially with the final fight. i have successfully gotten used to the art as well. some people claim it as ugly. no. pablo picasso's later work is ugly (his early work is freaking beautiful). this is just unique. i especially love the eyes. the eyes are so well done. the directing and cinematography, top-notch. literally nothing to complain about this series, not even that it's too short.

after the disaster of shangri-la, i was gifted with this masterpiece in less than half the amount of eps shangri-la's show totaled. the two years were certainly worth all the time i put it off.

10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10!!!!!!

now to go start psycho pass S2.

goodbye, ping pong. "I love ya."
Sep 3, 2016 1:12 PM

Sep 2013
Liked it quite a lot, great last episode and a wonderful coming of age story to boot. It's also one of those anime that gets better upon rewatch for me at least as there were a couple of things that i missed upon the first time i watched it.
Sep 9, 2016 12:02 AM

Oct 2015
very unexpected outcome between tsukimoto and hoshino. I thought Smile was gonna take it but Peco managed to take it even with a bad knee. Peco managed to beat Kong and Kazama with a bad knee, now that was cool. Great anime except for visuals 9/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 17, 2016 7:40 PM

Mar 2015
lihle808 said:
very unexpected outcome between tsukimoto and hoshino. I thought Smile was gonna take it but Peco managed to take it even with a bad knee. Peco managed to beat Kong and Kazama with a bad knee, now that was cool. Great anime except for visuals 9/10.

the outcome wasn't unexpected, smile let peco win so he could fulfill his dream
Sep 24, 2016 1:14 AM

Jan 2013
10 out of fucking 10. I'm generally big fan of "artsy" animes, and boy did I love this. Everything from animation style to character development was out of this world.
Nov 22, 2016 12:57 AM

Apr 2016
Loved this anime. Much as I would like to be like Peco or even Dragon for that matter, in reality I am much closer to the ocean guy :(
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2014

140 by SHS13 »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:28 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2014

163 by mirsips »»
Jul 31, 2023 2:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.