Forum Settings
Forums

Is it just me or are there no ugly and fat girls in anime today?

New
Jun 6, 2014 8:34 AM

Nov 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that in every highschool in modern anime there are no ugly or fat girls. Might sound like an odd thing to complain about but honestly it just seems to make the envirement feel really fake. Its like every girl was mass produced in a factory like a bunch of Moe dolls. I know I've probably complained about this before but I find the stereotypical Moe girl to be less cute and more generic and dull. For those who didn't hear yes I think this...

http://www.forodragonballz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Moe-Can-Change-anime.jpg

..is not really all that cute. My point is though it really makes the anime feel more plastic and its harder to feel attached to the envirement or at least it is for me. What are your thoughts?

Just to make it clear I'm not talking about MCs but side characters and background characters!
EmperorDemonGavaJun 6, 2014 12:47 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 6, 2014 8:37 AM

Mar 2012
I guess it depends on what you consider ugly. For example, I think the MC from Kyoukai no Kanata is ugly and there's also almost everyone from Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou.
Jun 6, 2014 8:37 AM
Sep 2013
Inb4 dragonquest is an ugly fat girl who feels insecure because anime of the lack of her kind in anime
The end is nigh

Jun 6, 2014 8:39 AM

Sep 2013
Some mangakas like to create ugly and/or fat side characters. It depends on the artist of the original work.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Jun 6, 2014 8:39 AM
Aug 2012
Do glasses girls count?
Jun 6, 2014 8:43 AM

Nov 2011
WatchingYouPost said:
Do glasses girls count?
Seeing as how they seem to be aimed at guys with glasses fetishes then no.

Massive_Cunt said:
Inb4 dragonquest is an ugly fat girl who feels insecure because anime of the lack of her kind in anime
Don't be such a what your username says!
TyrelJun 6, 2014 9:31 AM
Jun 6, 2014 8:57 AM

Jan 2013
Accel World had a fat male MC and the amount of hate it receives is a good indication as to why anime don't have much fat or ugly girls.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 6, 2014 9:03 AM

Jul 2011
Is it just me or i never see this in old anime either?
Also Sket Dance have a important supporting one
Jun 6, 2014 9:03 AM

Feb 2013
I prefer it this way.
I'm not a big fan of ugly and fat characters, especially females, I don't care about the male characters though.
Jun 6, 2014 9:05 AM

Apr 2013
Because nobody wants to look an ugly ass drawing for 13+ episodes.
an egomaniac and a fool

Jun 6, 2014 9:17 AM

Feb 2014
I don't see what is wrong with that.

In fact, I'm not sure anyone would want to watch a show about far or ugly girls.
having cute girls is awesome, if it were to change, anime would become less good.
Jun 6, 2014 9:17 AM

Sep 2011
Jody32 said:

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't their less fat people in Japan then any other developed nation in the world? So it wouldn't be so unusual for that transition to happen.
only 3.5% of the population is obese, thats so little especially since someone can be obese while looking averagely proportioned.

also to the op's question, most of the time when someone portrays a fat person in anime its in bad tatses or mean spirited. There is really no reason whatsoever to draw characters fat for the sake of drawing them fat, if you work it into the plot somehow then yeah but most of the time it will just again, be mean spirited.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 6, 2014 9:21 AM

Jan 2013
skyzblue said:
Accel World had a fat male MC and the amount of hate it receives is a good indication as to why anime don't have much fat or ugly girls.
Tbh i look at that one as an exception because the MC for that show was an eric cartman lookalike. Like come on man.
Jun 6, 2014 9:24 AM

Mar 2008
People do not want to see ugly or fat people as a general rule, in any medium. Look at TV shows and movies, they are just the same. If you see a ugly or fat person they are usually a bad guy, or someone you are otherwise supposed to dislike.

I can personally say that I do not want to see, fat and/or ugly people in Anime.
<^_^>
Jun 6, 2014 9:25 AM

Aug 2013
Nobody wants to look at fat and ugly girls. I do like anime with one or two ugly background characters though, like that gluttonous girl in Persona 4. They're good for running gags and comedic relief.
Jun 6, 2014 9:30 AM
Jul 2018
Some variation would be nice but it probably wouldn't sell very well. At least that's what I imagine the reason being.
Jun 6, 2014 9:37 AM
Apr 2014
I want a Anime about sumo wrestling.
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Jun 6, 2014 9:40 AM
Apr 2014
Kirie_Himuro said:
So many people assuming that nobody wants to see "ugly" or fat girls in anime. I would like to see more of this because sometimes I like characters to be balanced out and have a level of realism, I mean sure for many people they don't want to see that precisely for that reason but still variation would be refreshing in my opinion.

Rakaxo said:
I want a Anime about sumo wrestling.

There are anime about/with sumo wrestling.

Name please?
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Jun 6, 2014 9:43 AM

Sep 2013
JizzyHitler said:

also to the op's question, most of the time when someone portrays a fat person in anime its in bad tatses or mean spirited. There is really no reason whatsoever to draw characters fat for the sake of drawing them fat, if you work it into the plot somehow then yeah but most of the time it will just again, be mean spirited.

Well, I agree. Anime is all about stereotypes and the stereotype regarding fat ppl is that they're either a) (if they're being portrayed in a sympathetic way) gluttons or b) evil/mean/creepy (ugliness = bad character). So if a character is portrayed as fat it either says something about his eating habits or about his bad character.

I don't think I've ever seen an anime where someone was fat just for the sake of being fat and a completely normal person apart from that.

Jun 6, 2014 9:44 AM
Feb 2013
Because moe is the shit
Jun 6, 2014 9:44 AM

Jun 2013
Because all fat goes to boobs. Which is awesome....
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Jun 6, 2014 9:45 AM

Dec 2013
Gin no Saji had a fat girl. Not bad, yo.
Jun 6, 2014 9:48 AM

May 2010
there's a girl in Fairy Tail in Mermaid Heel guild that is fat.
also the one from Gin no Saji, that's a badass one. i like her.
Jun 6, 2014 9:51 AM

Sep 2013
Come to think of it, I heard the girl in Buyuden gets "chubby" later on in the manga. Not that I read it, but might be worth a shot if you like sports manga.

Jun 6, 2014 9:52 AM

Aug 2013
petalshreds said:
there's a girl in Fairy Tail in Mermaid Heel guild that is fat.
I was about to mention her but I don't think she counts considering she can become skinny whenever she wants.
Jun 6, 2014 10:08 AM

Jan 2010
...Has this ever been a thing? Not just with ugly women, but with ugly people in general. Or hell, ugly characters not limited to humans. No Aku no Hana yet. Interesting.
Jun 6, 2014 10:19 AM

Sep 2012
hentai_eucli said:

In fact, I'm not sure anyone would want to watch a show about far or ugly girls.
having cute girls is awesome, if it were to change, anime would become less good.

I would, because the storyline might actually be creative and dramatic.Example: MC is being bullied because of her obesity since she was a child.We see her struggles with her school life and romance.

That could be really sad. Especially since bigger girls are viewed as unattractive to most Japanese.
Jun 6, 2014 10:24 AM

Dec 2012
Princess Jellyfish.
Jun 6, 2014 10:27 AM

Apr 2013
You can say this about any form of entertainment from Hollywood to TV shows to magazines. Most people don't want to see ugly women on TV when they can see a hot person. And I agree.
Jun 6, 2014 10:33 AM

Aug 2013
Kirie_Himuro said:

I would like to see a female or male character actually find someone romance wise that accepts them regardless of being fat or whatever, but that's just wishful thinking I'm sure.
Accel World, it mainly happens in the OVA though.
Jun 6, 2014 10:34 AM

Aug 2011
Super Sonico, the girls aren't exactly fat (or ugly), but they certainly aren't skinny. They have some nice meaty bodies that were refreshing when most anime girls are all skinny as hell.

baconrollz said:
Gin no Saji had a fat girl. Not bad, yo.

Tamako is hot.

Kirie_Himuro said:
I would like to see a female or male character actually find someone romance wise that accepts them regardless of being fat or whatever, but that's just wishful thinking I'm sure.

You don't see them together at any point in the anime, but this does happen for Daru in Steins;Gate.
Jun 6, 2014 10:37 AM

May 2012
There's a (very unconventional) fat girl in Silver Spoon. She is also a side character, but hey at least she's there!

EDIT: Ahh, beat me to it, Baconrollz and Petalshreds!
Jun 6, 2014 10:42 AM

Apr 2012
Crossgame has a fat, female manager, but yea it's rare. I don't think it is a practice exclusively in anime. Hollywood movies tend to do the same.
zzzeallyJun 6, 2014 10:45 AM

Jun 6, 2014 10:43 AM

Jul 2013
one piece has alvida but i'm not sure if she counts
Jun 6, 2014 10:43 AM

Dec 2012
Kirie_Himuro said:
tsudecimo said:
Princess Jellyfish.

The main character is considered attractive by other characters with her glasses off and with a makeover from what I recall, but yes there are other female characters that would fit into it. It's just a shame that they have to be otaku/NEETs like it's making the assumption that everyone like that is unattractive.

Maybe, the male lead is still more attractive than her. I think the point of the story was to show self acceptance, social commentary, and themes about inner and outer beauty.

You will have a better time looking for that in manga. Off the top of head there this one shot

Other manga revolving about similar issues:

http://myanimelist.net/manga/13619/Cousin
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=13881

I'm sure you can find more, if you search. Manga in general just has a lot more variety and handle certain themes and issues, that can't be found in anime, since it's not as limited as anime, and is more ambitious.
Jun 6, 2014 11:00 AM

Jun 2011
orchidork said:
one piece has alvida but i'm not sure if she counts

Jun 6, 2014 11:07 AM

Sep 2012
One Piece has Kokoro, Big Mom, Lola, Mariegold...
Jun 6, 2014 11:20 AM
ざわ・・ ざわ・・

Oct 2012
There's always that one fat girl though xD
Jun 6, 2014 11:31 AM

Feb 2013
[quote=DragonQuest3]Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that in every highschool in modern anime there are no ugly or fat girls. Might sound like an odd thing to complain about but honestly it just seems to make the envirement feel really fake. Its like every girl was mass produced in a factory like a bunch of Moe dolls. I know I've probably complained about this before but I find the stereotypical Moe girl to be less cute and more generic and dull. For those who didn't hear yes I think this...

http://www.forodragonballz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Moe-Can-Change-anime.jpg

..is not really all that cute. My point is though it really makes the anime feel more plastic and its harder to feel attached to the envirement or at least it is for me.[/spoiler]
this is called Generic Cuteness... and their ugly counterpart, Gonk

i haven't watched non-modern school anime, except maybe Boys Be..., and i'd love you to give some examples of old school anime with fat/ugly girls

as i believe high school anime with cute girl designs was always the case (but obviously less titles to choose from)
just that the cookie cutter character design for kawaii/moe girls has changed since the olden times
see: http://i.imgur.com/rFpoRTQ.jpg

DragonQuest3 said:
WatchingYouPost said:
Do glasses girls count?
Seeing as how they seem to be aimed at guys with glasses fetishes then no.

the glasses girl from Boys Be... was actually pretty ugly (first row, third from left), this coming from a guy with a glasses fetish xD there were way prettier designs they could go with, so i believe i was intended;
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/boys-be_9450.jpg

it was even aknowledged in-universe that she was ugly eh

there's also Class Rep from Seto no Hanayome, which is pretty ugly with her glasses on, and even with the glasses off, her design is still cute-but-generic... another example of glasses girl not pandering to glass fetishists
see here

this is what WatchingYouPost had in mind i guess =/ not the "moe-meganekko" or "she cleans up nicely" kind of glasses girls you had in mind;

DragonQuest3 said:
What are your thoughts?

personally i'm okay with this; altho the girls from that pic have rather generic designs...
but if i actually played the "Moe can Change!" game i might get attached to them; its not good to jump to conclusions just from the art style and character designs

also, as other people said
a) japan is not a fat country at all
b) fiction/escapism is nicer when its about beautiful (or at least not ugly) people
c) aku no hana and accel world got some flak for this
d) something about Princess Jellyfish;

also note that Princess Jellyfish is a josei, and the main girl from Sakamichi no Apollon (another Josei) had a bit of a horse face /= ; i guess that josei is pretty safe from the moe art style

generally i agree that there should be more ugly/fat characters, but considering points a through c, there are good reasons they aren't more common; as other users said, manga offers a wider variety of stories featuring ugly characters
inb4 DragonQuest3 doesn't bother to read/reply
romagiaJun 6, 2014 12:10 PM
Jun 6, 2014 11:32 AM
Aug 2013
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Jun 6, 2014 12:28 PM

Nov 2011
Is it just me or did most people think I was talking about MCs? I meant with the side characters I can understand why an MC is generally attractive not that I'd mind some uglier MCs as I'd feel it be a breath of fresh air but I really just meant like within the class theres no diversity.

I was watching Touch and I was looking through the crowds and saw their was diversity amongst the highschool girls and felt it was much more pleasing than the plastic models of today. There's even a few chubby and ugly side characters I mean it just feels so much more real than a bunch of generics.
Jun 6, 2014 12:30 PM

May 2013
Well of course ugly characters aren't used. They aren't appealing at all. In fact, they often repel fans, causing sales to go down tremendously. I mean look what happened with Accel World. Sure, it wasn't a failure by any means, but a fair few people were turned off by the main character.
Jun 6, 2014 12:37 PM

Sep 2012
Read more manga.
Jun 6, 2014 12:43 PM

Nov 2011
Dark_Chaos said:
Well of course ugly characters aren't used. They aren't appealing at all. In fact, they often repel fans, causing sales to go down tremendously. I mean look what happened with Accel World. Sure, it wasn't a failure by any means, but a fair few people were turned off by the main character.
I'm not talking about ugly MCs. I just mean side characters or within the class. Moe girls are ugly.
Jun 6, 2014 12:44 PM

Mar 2014
Do side characters count?
Jun 6, 2014 12:46 PM

Nov 2011
mclovinballz said:
I was talking about side characters!
Jun 6, 2014 12:47 PM

Jul 2011
mclovinballz said:

A lot of them were already given
Jun 6, 2014 12:52 PM

Mar 2014
DragonQuest3 said:
mclovinballz said:
In that case, I've seen some, but they're usually for comedic purposes or for pity most of the time.
Jun 6, 2014 12:56 PM

Nov 2011
mclovinballz said:
DragonQuest3 said:
In that case, I've seen some, but they're usually for comedic purposes or for pity most of the time.
I worshipped for 5 seconds.
Jun 6, 2014 1:02 PM

Nov 2008
Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls has some cute chubbers for you.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » are mal reviews full of destructive criticism or constructive criticism?

deg - May 3

22 by LaurieHorvath »»
16 minutes ago

» Ever stopped watching an anime bc you like it so much ?

Yonahim_Zz - May 8

39 by Yonahim_Zz »»
22 minutes ago

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - 2 hours ago

4 by TsutanaiFuun »»
39 minutes ago

» why is myanimelist aka mal not popular in china?

deg - Today

22 by TsutanaiFuun »»
40 minutes ago

» Happy Mother's Day, Who Are Anime's Best Moms ?

tchitchouan - Today

20 by 3miL »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.