2.9%
Movie Remakes of Asian Movies
6.7%
Live Action Movie of an Anime
43.3%
104 votes
Sep 13, 2009 4:43 AM

Aug 2009
This sort of pisses me off now and then when I waste money watching and renting movies which seemed to be overall...Shit.

So I want to hear all your opinions on this.

Since I hate all of them, I'd go with Asian Movie Remakes, they're the worst.

Tell me if threads like this, has already been made.
I wasn't here very long.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 13, 2009 4:45 AM

Nov 2007
No brainer for me. Movies based on games. There have never been any that have been worth a damn at all. At least remakes of Asian cinema have had some successful titles (even if inferior to the original).
Sep 13, 2009 4:49 AM

Aug 2009
Asako said:
No brainer for me. Movies based on games. There have never been any that have been worth a damn at all. At least remakes of Asian cinema have had some successful titles (even if inferior to the original).

Name 3 that you call Successful Asian Remakes.
Sep 13, 2009 5:04 AM

Mar 2009
Movies adapted from comics or graphic novels (and even anime). They tend to turn out really terrible and disappointing, especially for the avid readers of the comics/novels.
Sep 13, 2009 5:07 AM

May 2009
Movies based on games.

Uwe Boll must die in a fire!
Sep 13, 2009 5:09 AM

Nov 2007
lkl said:

The majority of big horror movies in the past decade or so. (Thriller, not splatter).
Sep 13, 2009 5:10 AM

Feb 2005
It all depends obviously.
But in my experience, movies based on games tend to fare worst. I can't think of one that didn't.
Sep 13, 2009 5:22 AM

Aug 2009
HeVi said:
Movies based on games.

This.
Sep 13, 2009 5:23 AM
Mar 2009
Live action based on anime includes Hollywood productions right?

Cos that's why I chose it.

Sep 13, 2009 5:24 AM

Aug 2009
Orreh said:
HeVi said:
Movies based on games.

Now that you've mention it.
I did see a few Uwe Boll films, and it was absolutely a waste of time.
Sep 13, 2009 5:25 AM

Aug 2009
chinlamp said:
Live action based on anime includes Hollywood productions right?

Cos that's why I chose it.

Hollywood?
No, more like Japanese film production.
Saikano Live-Action sort of..fails.
Sep 13, 2009 5:43 AM

Dec 2007
Movies based on books. I don't get why is it so hard to even get right the chronological events of the book. I'm not even talking about destroying all that I have imagined...
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Sep 13, 2009 5:43 AM

Sep 2009
At first I was going to say movies made from anime, but then I thought of supermairo the movie and double dragon and street fighter.

I actualy liked the deathnote movie, it had different plot devices and was still thrilling. So, it was not as good as the anime, but it was good in its own way. I like cheesey movies, bad movies, they make me laugh.

But movies from games? They just seem to lack imagination and guts to make a really phenomenal movies like a game. I mean, if they had made Supermario and actualy have them eat mushrooms, gro tall, shoot fireballs, make it a really goo attempt like say how 80's movies tried to with animatronics, well it might have been ok. I think Turtles was the only real success.

I am watching you masturbate....you're good.
Sep 13, 2009 6:54 AM

Feb 2005
LoneTrooper said:
But movies from games? They just seem to lack imagination and guts to make a really phenomenal movies like a game. I mean, if they had made Supermario and actualy have them eat mushrooms, gro tall, shoot fireballs, make it a really goo attempt like say how 80's movies tried to with animatronics, well it might have been ok. I think Turtles was the only real success.
And much of the problem, unlike with anime, manga/comics or books, is the fact that games seldom feature story all the time. Much of the gameplay would be far too boring to stick into a movie, whether that's grinding for EXP in some cave, running through a bizarre landscape while tackling monsters or blasting though countless enemy soldiers somewhere.

Which means that most game adaptations needs to either concentrate the story, or if there is not enough story, add in something new.

Now that I think of it, the Resident Evil movies weren't really bad, they managed to stick in a story not too far removed from the original franchise.
Sep 13, 2009 7:45 AM

Sep 2009
Baman said:
LoneTrooper said:
And much of the problem, unlike with anime, manga/comics or books, is the fact that games seldom feature story all the time. Much of the gameplay would be far too boring to stick into a movie, whether that's grinding for EXP in some cave, running through a bizarre landscape while tackling monsters or blasting though countless enemy soldiers somewhere.

Which means that most game adaptations needs to either concentrate the story, or if there is not enough story, add in something new.

Now that I think of it, the Resident Evil movies weren't really bad, they managed to stick in a story not too far removed from the original franchise.

But actualy, unlike most games Resident evil was based off the early zombie movies but with a modern scietific aspect/twist to explain everything of why they exist and an elaborate consipracy theory. So, really that's a case of games copying movies/sci-books which as well does'nt really work to well. Resident Evil suceeded because it had a good plot with depth and a used tried and tested format of zombies.

Even then they lost alot of the ambience of resident evil, they lost the detective aspect and they got lost in the hollywood of love instead of focusing on the real survival part.

The game was set out like a movie and with all the cut scenes reading documents, uncovering new elements fighting a multitude of differnt monsters.

There is a lot lacking in hollywood production in general which is why is fails a lot. They tend to focus on the ego of the character, love and making them look good action packed with lots of explosions special effects and long sexy leg shots rather than the story.

In recent times the only character that really has hit the mark for this type of aspect is Roshak from Watchmen. He really embodied the detective who just wanted to uncover the truth, expose the lies and have justice without giving into emotion and staying level headed despite what was going on around him/in him a true hero unlike Dr Manhattan which embodies the complete childish and apathetic character with a gun.

I feel if the used the Roshak characterisation in a resident evil film then it would have been better, but they opted to go the more mainsteam hot girl sex icon root so the film lacked in a lot of areas.

I still say turtles was good for game to anime/ movie. Overall despite it not being brilliant(actualy the new anime turtles is prety good) it covers all the bases and is a real success really.
TrollTrooperSep 13, 2009 7:51 AM

I am watching you masturbate....you're good.
Sep 13, 2009 8:09 AM

Jan 2008
Based on games in my opinion, not that Uwe Boll helps much.

I wouldn't combine graphic novels/comics with books really, although both have their decent adaptations and complete failures.
Sep 13, 2009 8:16 AM

Jul 2007
Moveis based on games. The best we've ever had is the RE franchise and that's not saying much. There's plenty of great graphic novel renditions from 300 to Road to Perdition, likewise The Departed proved Asian movies can be adapted strongly, and Speed Racer gave hope for the anime adaptations to come.

But games... games has never worked.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Sep 13, 2009 8:41 AM

Jun 2008
lkl said:
Asako said:

I actually thought that "The Ring" was better in the remake.
Sep 13, 2009 9:09 AM

Aug 2009
Battle Royale

/thread
-Fixing-
Sep 13, 2009 9:33 AM

Jul 2008
Baman said:
in my experience, movies based on games tend to fare worst.
Sep 13, 2009 9:44 AM

Mar 2009
Dragon Ball failed so hard.
Sep 13, 2009 9:48 AM

Jul 2008
Baman said:
It all depends obviously.
But in my experience, movies based on games tend to fare worst. I can't think of one that didn't.
Sep 13, 2009 10:28 AM

Jan 2009
Movies based off of games, only movies that are based off games that are remotely enjoyable are the Resident Evil series.
Sep 13, 2009 10:44 AM

Jul 2009
I can't pick two for the poll so I picked live action anime but for real, live action anime and moives based on games are in a tie

Sep 13, 2009 2:08 PM

May 2009
I don't get mad at movie remakes because I am not a weeaboo.

Isn't it so simple? Don't like the movie, don't watch it. Though, you can't help it, making yourself look like some elitist fuck. Stick to the original shit and just ignore these type of movies.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2009 2:24 PM

Jun 2008
Movies from games. The only one I can think of would be Advent Children which didn't end as a disaster, especially when Completed came out.
Wilio said:
Battle Royale

/thread
What exactly are you trying to say?
Sep 13, 2009 3:21 PM

Jun 2008
From what I've seen, I'd say movies based on games.
Sep 13, 2009 4:53 PM

Jul 2009
Movies based on games need to die in a hole
Sep 13, 2009 5:34 PM

Jun 2009
Tachii said:
Movies from games. The only one I can think of would be Advent Children which didn't end as a disaster, especially when Completed came out.
Wilio said:
Battle Royale

/thread

AC is CGI though, at least. Live action adaptations are far, far less likely to work.
And I'm curious what this means as well. Because the Battle Royale anime adaptation is also pretty meh. The book is easily the best.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 13, 2009 5:54 PM

May 2009
** wow
not how i expected the poll to look like..

i thought from most hated..

~ live action movie version of anime
~ remake of asian
~ games
~ and THEN graphic novels..

*reminds you of grudge movie failure*

.[We Are The Ocean]. - "Nothing Good Has Happened Yet"
Sep 13, 2009 6:04 PM

Jan 2008
xEPICFAILx said:
** wow
not how i expected the poll to look like..

i thought from most hated..

~ live action movie version of anime
~ remake of asian
~ games
~ and THEN graphic novels..

*reminds you of grudge movie failure*

*reminds you that every game to film adaption has failed*

Plus The Departed and The Ring were actually pretty good.
Sep 13, 2009 6:13 PM

May 2009
Resident evil..

Silent Hill.. ?

.[We Are The Ocean]. - "Nothing Good Has Happened Yet"
Sep 13, 2009 6:52 PM

Jan 2008
The Resident Evil films were terrible. The plot had barely anything to do with the games at all, the acting was mediocre and the entire series was simple, mindless action, plus the second film was completely incoherent. All the random superhuman clone bullshit came from nowhere, was entirely unnecessary and added nothing but a reason to include special effects to attract the attention of those who can't tell the difference between explosions and an intelligent plot.

Silent Hill, in my opinion, is one of the better adaptations and was actually pretty good for the first half, with the atmosphere and grey children sequence being rather well done. Pyramid Head, on the other hand, had no real reason to be there, the CGI of the real/otherworld transitions was frankly horrible and the ending was dire. Oh, and the entire unnecessary retelling of the story after the 'thriller' Bubblehead Nurses didn't add much at all and was practically one big waste of time.
Sep 13, 2009 7:02 PM

Aug 2007
Maybe I'll go with movies based on games save for some of the listed movies and Christopher Lambert as Raiden.
Sep 13, 2009 7:06 PM

Jan 2009
For the most part, I'd have to say movies based on games. Most of them are complete shit.

The only movie based on a game that I can think of that is okay is probably the resident evil movies. Oh and the Silent Hill movie. I guess it's basically the survival horror genre.

Oh and Uwe Boll must be crucified.

....anybody watch the Alone in the Dark review on TGWTG?
Sep 13, 2009 7:19 PM

Jun 2009
Live Action Movie of an Anime are the worst...They ruin animes doing that.
Sep 13, 2009 7:29 PM

May 2007
Live-action films based off anime are overall pretty bad...remakes are a close second, simply because they often fail at capturing the original concept.

lkl said:
Asako said:

The Departed
Amazing film. They did a great job re-imagining Infernal Affairs.

....although come to think of it, that's all I got XD

Tachii said:
Wilio said:
Battle Royale

/thread

That the movie sucks eggs.
Sep 13, 2009 7:31 PM

Jun 2009
Seasonreaper said:
The Resident Evil films were terrible. The plot had barely anything to do with the games at all, the acting was mediocre and the entire series was simple, mindless action, plus the second film was completely incoherent. All the random superhuman clone bullshit came from nowhere, was entirely unnecessary and added nothing but a reason to include special effects to attract the attention of those who can't tell the difference between explosions and an intelligent plot.

Silent Hill, in my opinion, is one of the better adaptations and was actually pretty good for the first half, with the atmosphere and grey children sequence being rather well done. Pyramid Head, on the other hand, had no real reason to be there, the CGI of the real/otherworld transitions was frankly horrible and the ending was dire. Oh, and the entire unnecessary retelling of the story after the 'thriller' Bubblehead Nurses didn't add much at all and was practically one big waste of time.

Well as far as the movies storyline he didn't really interrupt it, and from the profit standpoint I can easily see why they put him in there. Pyramid head's a fan loved character, not to mention quite the rapist;

good stuff. and i actually enjoy both the movies and games for resident evil, but mostly just because milla jovich is hot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 13, 2009 9:29 PM

Mar 2008
I picked movie Remakes but overall not just Asian movies.
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Sep 13, 2009 9:32 PM

Jan 2009
Seasonreaper said:

I found the first Resident Evil movie to be pretty decent, it didn't follow the game plot but it still used the same tactics of "scare" from the games and i overall found it enjoyable. I agree it got progressively worse as time went on.

And i haven't seen SH so i don't really have an opinion on that ^_^
Sep 13, 2009 9:42 PM

Apr 2008
AngelicLight said:
Live Action Movie of an Anime are the worst...They ruin animes doing that.

This.

Sep 13, 2009 9:54 PM

Jul 2007
live action anime movies suck
Sep 13, 2009 10:05 PM

Oct 2008
Id have to go with movies based on games, just look at Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive and every game movie made by Uwe Boll. The only decent game movie I've seen was the Silent Hill film and as far as live action animes, I've seen bits of the Initial D movie and from what I could tell it was pretty ok. Sin City was pretty cool as far as a GN movie goes. But yea, some things just don't belong in the hands of Hollywood.
Sep 13, 2009 10:43 PM

Aug 2009
Movies based on animes. Hands down. With crap like Blood: Last Vampire and DBZ, they have maintained their image of being the most dimwitted idiotic conversions in the history of mankind.
On the other hand, the close one is 'movies based on games' as others have pointed out. Resident Evil and Silent Hill are the only exceptions to date.
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny
- Lao-Tze.

Sep 13, 2009 10:48 PM

Apr 2009
Does this explain your question?
Sep 13, 2009 10:55 PM

Jul 2008
rebekah said:
Does this explain your question?
No, but this does...
Sep 13, 2009 11:01 PM

Mar 2009
I'd have to say, movies based on Comics. Granted there are a few good ones, i.e. Iron Man, Sin City, Constantine, but all others are just a slap in the face to the comic. i.e. Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men, Blade, Hellboy, Most of the Batmans, Daredevil(OMFG I want to kill Afleck!!!),Ghost Rider, Elektra, Fantstic 4, etc, etc. The list could on for ever...Urahara Out!!
Sep 13, 2009 11:03 PM

Dec 2007
At least Dragonball: Evolution didn't give me a headache unlike what can be said about an Uwe Boll film featuring zombies and the home they reside in.

Yeah, game based movies tend to fare much worse...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2009 11:08 PM

Jun 2008
Live Action Remakes of Animes/Mangas... ichi the killer, battle royale, Dragonball Z, nuff said.
I'm back.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.