Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 24, 2014 11:19 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
I work at my parents pho restaurant, and as I was serving tables, I got involved in a discussion with these two customers. One of them was teaching the other how to use chopsticks, but after about 5 minutes, he gave up and switched to a fork. Soon after, the guy who got the fork said he didn't need to learn a pointless skill since forks are more efficient and can be found everywhere.
So... Can you use chopsticks and when did you learn? Do you think it's a pointless skill to have? Are forks superior?

I learned how to use chopsticks when I was 6... a bit late for an asian kid, as I learned it with my second grade class. I do not think it's a pointless skill, because noodle soup dishes aren't the same with forks and chopsticks. You get to do the constant stream of noodles with chopsticks and I find it easier to put the noodles in the soup spoon easier with chopsticks than with noodles. Forks are superior in everything else though excluding soup noodle dishes... though I still would use chopsticks for anything asian... and italian...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 24, 2014 11:24 PM

Nov 2010
No I don't know. I haven't had the need in the 22 years I've been alive. I wouldn't say it's pointless, I guess it is pointless if you like to use forks, but a fork is useless if you like to use chopsticks. Idk if I would say forks are superior, never really used chopsticks.
Mar 24, 2014 11:24 PM

Oct 2013
Couldn't care less if I was in an Asian restaurant and I was the only one using fork, although I do know how, my mom and I lived in Japan for about 2 years (At least that's what she said, I was 4 at the time)

Oh and chopsticks are much nicer in my opinion as well since wood are biodegradable and chopsticks are made from wood usually.
R4velMar 24, 2014 11:27 PM
Mar 24, 2014 11:25 PM

Sep 2008
I can use chopsticks. I don't remember when I learned I just kinda did it lol.
My Vietnamese friend uses a different way of holding them that I can't use xD, but I think people learn it there own way just as long as they keep at it.

It is a nice skill to learn because not everyone uses forks and if your in a situation where no forks are available like certain restaurants then it'd be pretty silly looking to use your hands. It's also a good way to use muscles in your hand that you don't normally use.
I'm just a deer
.....╚╩ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ╩╝..... ╚╩ᶘᵒ̌ ᵜ ᵒ̌ᶅ╩╝.....╚╩ᶘᵒ̌ ࿄ ᵒ̌ᶅ╩╝.....╚╩ᶘ°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ ³ °̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ᶅ╩╝.....
I'm not food
If you want a reply leave a comment on profile.
Sorry if you see my emotes differently.
I'm on an iPad.

Mar 24, 2014 11:29 PM

Oct 2013
I like to stab thinks with a fork, I like my plates to be noisy, also, chopsticks sometimes have slivers and shit
Mar 24, 2014 11:30 PM
Jan 2014
Chopsticks were invented long before forks, convenient or not, it's part of Asian cultures. Would look like a fool to eat sushi with a fork now would it?
Mar 24, 2014 11:30 PM

Sep 2008
I also use chopsticks for a variety of things...
Poking. Stabbing. Button pusher. Long finger extender. Stirring. Drum solo. Walrus imitations. Weapon. Stick replacement. Finger stilts. Etc. etc.

It's great for when you don't want to touch something so use chopstick instead
I'm just a deer
.....╚╩ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ╩╝..... ╚╩ᶘᵒ̌ ᵜ ᵒ̌ᶅ╩╝.....╚╩ᶘᵒ̌ ࿄ ᵒ̌ᶅ╩╝.....╚╩ᶘ°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ ³ °̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ᶅ╩╝.....
I'm not food
I'm on an iPad.

Mar 24, 2014 11:35 PM

Nov 2012
yeah i can use them. taught myself when i was in elementary school for some reason. i would say forks are superior though.. at least for me
Mar 24, 2014 11:37 PM

Apr 2007
Yeah but forks are easier.

I'm from a non-chopstick-using part of Asia. The spoon for rice and fork for everything else utensils combo > chopsticks.
Mar 24, 2014 11:38 PM

Oct 2013
Food taste better when you're using you bare hands: tacos, tortas, gorditas, dayum!
Mar 24, 2014 11:39 PM

Dec 2012
Yeah, only when eating out in a Chinese restaurant
Mar 24, 2014 11:40 PM

Oct 2013
UnoPuntoCinco said:
Food taste better when you're using you bare hands: tacos, tortas, gorditas, dayum!
Crap just thinking about drinking soup like washing your face sorta makes me puke lol.
Mar 24, 2014 11:40 PM
Sep 2013
Yeah, I know, but I rarely use them. I've used them in public before, if I was at an Asian restaurant.
Mar 24, 2014 11:42 PM

Jan 2013
UnoPuntoCinco said:
And tamales.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Mar 24, 2014 11:42 PM

Nov 2010
Pond said:

I'm from a non-chopstick-using part of Asia. The spoon for rice and fork for everything else utensils combo > chopsticks.
What about a spork?
Mar 24, 2014 11:43 PM

Oct 2013
Cabron said:
UnoPuntoCinco said:
And tamales.

I can't eat tamales without a fork, I think i'm a failure
Mar 24, 2014 11:47 PM
Nov 2008
sort-of, i can pick food up and go at it for a couple of minutes but eventually my fingers just give out and say 'just use a fork, man.'
Mar 24, 2014 11:55 PM

Apr 2007
Sometimes I just use a spoon to eat rice because it's easier to scoop everything but I do like to use chopsticks to pick food up. I like chopsticks because it gives me more control. It just depends on what you're eating. That guy sounds like he's just making excuses not to learn but it's actually not that hard.
Mar 25, 2014 12:00 AM

Sep 2010
I can use them but I prefer eating rice with a spoon. I don't get people that say eating with chopsticks is hard but I've been using them since I was a kid so I probably don't get it. Eating with a fork is easier though.

UnoPuntoCinco said:
Cabron said:
UnoPuntoCinco said:
And tamales.

I can't eat tamales without a fork, I think i'm a failure
a huge failure
Mar 25, 2014 12:01 AM

Sep 2013
My father taught me how to use chopsticks when I was a teenager. He used to travel to Japan for his work, so he learned the technique very well. He also introduced me to Japanese food, and I am grateful to him for that. I have been eating Japanese food regularly for many years, while I only rediscovered anime recently (although I first watched it in the late 1970s).

I find certain foods far easier to eat with chopsticks than with a fork. When I eat noodle dishes at home, I always use chopsticks. In Japanese, Korean, and Chinese restaurants, I use chopsticks. Using them does not necessarily make one a weeaboo, but using them poorly and making no effort to improve one's technique might be an indication of weebness.

I remember an incident many, many years ago (probably c. 1995). I was on a camping trip in northern Idaho, and I brought instant noodles with me since they were easy to prepare in that situation. I was sitting beside a dirt road, using chopsticks to pick up and eat the noodles. (How else would I eat them?) Some rednecks drove by in a pickup truck; they slowed down and stared at me. I thought it was funny. They might have thought I was a weeaboo (although that term wasn't yet in use at the time) or some sort of crazy nerd.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Mar 25, 2014 12:02 AM

Oct 2013
Now I feel sad, guys.

Does a torta de tamal counts?
Mar 25, 2014 12:07 AM

Aug 2013
Yeah...I'm really fast too.
Like Mako.
perv4lyf
Mar 25, 2014 12:12 AM

Apr 2012
Yes I can use chopsticks. I had a chopstick in hand when i came out of my mom's uterus. Forks are for the white man :|

Mar 25, 2014 12:13 AM

Oct 2013
Zeally said:
Yes I can use chopsticks. I had a chopstick in hand when i came out of my mom's uterus. Forks are for the white man :|

Hey, we mestizos also use forks, are you being reacist man?
Mar 25, 2014 12:18 AM
Jan 2013
Not sure, I haven't used chopsticks since I was like 7. Who knows? Maybe all my anime watching has given me super chopstick using skills?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2014 12:34 AM

Apr 2007
IntroverTurtle said:
Pond said:

What about a spork?

Sporks are the worst of both worlds. Terrible at being a spoon. Terrible at being a fork. What is the point of a spork?
Mar 25, 2014 12:39 AM
Nov 2008
Pond said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Pond said:

What about a spork?

Sporks are the worst of both worlds. Terrible at being a spoon. Terrible at being a fork. What is the point of a spork?
i once used a spoof - it's a plastic spoon with a slightly serrated edge for cutting.
Mar 25, 2014 12:58 AM

Mar 2013
Heredity said:
Pond said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Pond said:

What about a spork?

i once used a spoof - it's a plastic spoon with a slightly serrated edge for cutting.
You're forgetting a Sporks main purpose which is to fling food at others.

Fling your leftovers at others and you're sure to get the fullest of pleasures with a Spork.
Happy Halloween
Mar 25, 2014 1:01 AM

Apr 2007
Wouldn't flinging leftovers at others with your bare hands would give the most pleasure?
Mar 25, 2014 1:03 AM

Mar 2013
Pond said:
Wouldn't flinging leftovers at others with your bare hands would give the most pleasure?
I prefer to keep my hands clean when eating. Unless the type of food requires so to use hands.

With a spork you can fling without being noticed.
Happy Halloween
Mar 25, 2014 2:19 AM

Oct 2013
With ease. I eat sushi a lot
Mar 25, 2014 3:06 AM

Jan 2014
I wish I could use them properly.

It's not a pointless skill, I think it can make the food taste different/better. If I am sounding strange, think like how different it would be to eat rice with a spoon instead of a fork or drink wine using a tea cup.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Mar 25, 2014 3:07 AM

May 2013
Noodles taste better when eating with chopsticks. #Fact
Mar 25, 2014 4:09 AM

Mar 2008
I can use them with both right or left hand and I am right handed. I can pick up a pea or a single grain of rice. Its not hard for me.
Mar 25, 2014 4:18 AM

Jul 2013
I can use them. Since I don't get the option to use chopsticks very often however I wouldn't say that I'm all too precise with it, but I can eat just fine using them.

And I wouldn't say it's pointless. I don't need it often but I like to use them whenever I get the chance to.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Mar 25, 2014 4:52 AM

Sep 2011
Yes I can. Not as precise as, say, a Japanese person, but I'm not bad at it either.

I first tried using it probably 3-4 years ago when I first tried japanese food. But only recently (like 2 months ago) have I started using it regularly when I eat chinese food (or japanese, but that's less frequent).
It's really not that hard.

I don't think fork is superior. Both have their good and bad points.
Mar 25, 2014 5:02 AM

Apr 2012
Yeah but I'm not a expert at though. I started using them when I first tried sushi probably about 6-7 years ago.
Mar 25, 2014 5:07 AM

Nov 2013
I live in Japan, so I'm gonna go ahead and say yes.
Mar 25, 2014 5:22 AM

Jun 2007
Yes, but a fork is far more comfortable for the long term. I do often cook using chopsticks though.
Mar 25, 2014 5:34 AM

Sep 2008
*ties fork/spork to each chopstick. Solves everything :U*
I'm just a deer
I'm not food
I'm on an iPad.

Mar 25, 2014 5:43 AM

Jul 2012
I've always found using chopsticks surprisingly easy. Not too sure how good my technique is though.
Mar 25, 2014 6:10 AM

Nov 2012
Yeah I can use chopsticks. Even have some in my kitchen drawers.
That being said I do think forks are superior.
I usually only use chopsticks if the situation calls for it, like going to a ramen house.

Im a Devil's advocate. Its just too fun.
Running on borrowed time.

Mar 25, 2014 7:47 AM

Apr 2007
Shiratori-san said:

It's not a pointless skill, I think it can make the food taste different/better. If I am sounding strange, think like how different it would be to eat rice with a spoon instead of a fork or drink wine using a tea cup.

Rice with a spoon is the correct way to eat rice*, and I will defend this position to the death. While wielding a spoon.

*eating with your hands is also acceptable
Mar 25, 2014 8:03 AM
Jan 2014
Does stabbing the food with a chopstick like a fork count?

I Have no skill using them. So I'll stick to fork/spoon any day of the year xD
Mar 25, 2014 8:09 AM

Dec 2012
I know the technique, but I'm not very good at it. Forks are easier than chobsticks, but chobsticks are more fun...
Mar 25, 2014 8:10 AM

Sep 2013
I wish I could, but I'm laughably horrible at using them.

Pond said:
Shiratori-san said:

Rice with a spoon is the correct way to eat rice*, and I will defend this position to the death. While wielding a spoon.

*eating with your hands is also acceptable
Dual forks are the way to go.
Mar 25, 2014 8:40 AM

Mar 2012
I learned to "use" them a few years ago when I was in Korea, but I can only use the regular Asian restaurant ones (wooden and quite round). I just can seem to hold the metal and flat ones.

I think it's a pointless skill to learn in the west, due to forks being more common, but as a whole I consider chopsticks superior since you can pick smaller/thinner stuff with them.
Mar 25, 2014 8:45 AM

Aug 2013
No, I use a fork and knife like the rest of the civilized world.

But really, I've tried and it makes eating food feel like a chore.
Mar 25, 2014 8:52 AM

Jan 2013
I can use chopsticks with great ease, and I often prefer to use them when eating Asian food. But forks are easier in general.
Mar 25, 2014 9:40 AM
Jul 2018
Yes. Although I still request a fork as it's my preferential utensil. My ancestors do not care about the manner in which I eat my food, after all.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again?

KiraraFan - May 7

19 by MalchikRepaid »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » is marriage compulsory? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 10

67 by kihel »»
12 minutes ago

» Cyber Trucks vs NFTs

KittenCuddler - 2 hours ago

4 by Daviljoe193 »»
16 minutes ago

» Favorite MAL thread maker?

barababas - May 4

33 by DreamWindow »»
1 hour ago

» Why do Americans work

vasipi4946 - May 6

43 by DreamWindow »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.