Forum Settings
Forums

Can men and women really ''just be friends''?

New
Pages (15) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 19, 2013 7:57 PM

May 2012
Sophilia said:
Mkayyy said:
For any guy that said no... Would you fuck any of your friends that are girls? Oh and let's not forget sisters and mothers too (assuming you consider them as friends) would you fuck them too?

Anyone saying no is 100% pervert or is desperate for sex. Anyone saying no is a liar
Servant pls.

See like this bitch woman, we're just friends. I'm joking online friends obviously don't count
Mar 19, 2013 7:58 PM

Dec 2012
Yes. But I'd assume it would depend if you would find them physically attractive or not..
Mar 19, 2013 7:58 PM

Jun 2011
Yes, because believe it or not, not every relationship has to end in romance. Platonic relationships exist.
Mar 19, 2013 9:05 PM

Jan 2011
Only if she's ugly.
A man can not be just friends with an attractive woman. It doesn't work that way. Unless he's gay...

Or a freak. >_>
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Mar 19, 2013 9:13 PM

Feb 2010
The better question would be how likely is it for a male and female to remain just friends. Trying to shoehorn individuals into expected behaviors mostly for what they are is shallow water to start with.
Mar 19, 2013 9:34 PM

Mar 2012
Akito_Kinomoto said:
The better question would be how likely is it for a male and female to remain just friends. Trying to shoehorn individuals into expected behaviors mostly for what they are is shallow water to start with.
Even then it's unclear. Are we only considering straight, cis males and females? How are we defining friendship? How are we defining alternatives to friendship? Why is it implied that friendship is not a distinct type of relationship, but something that only serves to precede romance?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 19, 2013 9:34 PM

Nov 2008
Vinter said:
Only if she's ugly.
A man can not be just friends with an attractive woman. It doesn't work that way. Unless he's gay...

Or a freak. >_>

There could be an age difference at work, some people don't want an older male or female and some don't want a younger one.

Mar 19, 2013 9:38 PM

Oct 2011
Ask Luka, she knows all about it.
Mar 19, 2013 9:53 PM

Mar 2012
Vinter said:
Only if she's ugly.

Or a freak. >_>
I have several gorgeous female friends (#sickbrag) and I am perfectly happy being just friends with them. We're friends and that's what our mutual relationship is. It's that simple.

Also, the very notion of just friends really irks me. It seems to imply that friendship is an inferior type of relationship, as if to say "well, you obviously don't care about that person THAT much, otherwise you'd want to be in a romantic relationship with them!" Which is untrue.
LoneWolf said:
Mar 19, 2013 10:06 PM

Sep 2009
No.

Even the idea of friendship is based on mutual gain; be it mental, physical, or emotional.

A romantic relationship, or one that is deferred, is no different. Most men are just delude themselves into thinking if they stick around that they'll either become a viable option down the road or down the road they'll stumble across a more suitable relationship. It's the same with women who delude themselves into thinking all their male friends are actually just friends.
Mar 19, 2013 10:29 PM

Jul 2012
Vinter said:
Only if she's ugly.

Or a freak. >_>

Yeah this pretty is exactly what I wanted to say.

Hell naw, males and females can't just be friends it doesn't work like that.
Mar 19, 2013 10:31 PM

Apr 2012
it depends.
But if I did have feelings for someone no I couldn't just be friends.

but ultimately the answer would be yes it is possible XD.

Mar 19, 2013 10:31 PM
Oct 2012
definitely. So your telling me if you have had a childhood friend who happens to be a girl but is butt ugly you couldn't be her friend anymore?
Of course not you would be her friend but no more then just that.
Mar 19, 2013 10:36 PM

Mar 2012
LordLagann said:
No.

Even the idea of friendship is based on mutual gain; be it mental, physical, or emotional.
You said no, but then went on to explain why the answer is yes.
LoneWolf said:
Mar 19, 2013 10:45 PM

Oct 2012
I'm going to say yes they can, but not always.
Mar 19, 2013 10:53 PM

Sep 2009
Baptism said:
LordLagann said:
No.

You said no, but then went on to explain why the answer is yes.

I'm sorry I didn't elaborate it more. I went on to explain on why it's not an actual friendship...unless those are the parameters of which you set your friendships by, then by all means I am wrong.

That kind of relationship is neither romantic nor platonic, and one I hardly call a caring friendship. It's not too different from being a ghost, dead people that don't realize they have died. That's no friendship, that's just two people who don't possess enough sense to know when to turn away.
Mar 19, 2013 11:21 PM

Mar 2012
I wish I had friends.
Mar 20, 2013 12:28 AM
Dec 2011
I dunno i think no

i had lot of girl friends most of them relationship ended very bad..
Mar 20, 2013 1:21 AM

Dec 2012
Sou said:
Smooched said:
I wish I had friends.

You have MAL.

That's even sadder..
Mar 20, 2013 1:34 AM

Sep 2011
So far the general consensus seems to be that men and women can be friends, but that it's significantly harder for men.

Personally, I've had (and still have) several male friends, without there being any overt sexual tension. Some of them I know have been ''interested'' in me before, and so have ended up in the friend zone. That's something I think about sometimes, how maybe it's all a one-sided friendship and how maybe one of my guy friends happens to be madly in love with me without me knowing. That'd be weird, and part of me doesn't want to find out.

It can obviously be harder to stay friends if you both happen to be healthy, attractive, young people. That's to be expected. But it's not always the case, and I think it's idiotic to say that guys only want to be friends with girls they don't find attractive.

I think Billy Crystal was wrong.

Baptism said:
Come on, Jenny. You're better than this.

*sigh* I'm sorry. You happen to have the same name as my cat btw. That fact always manages to make me chuckle.

BryanBosslingMar 20, 2013 1:39 AM
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Mar 20, 2013 4:37 AM
May 2009
Why not?
Its hard to be just friends, if its the two of you. But if its a group its pretty easy.

Unless it some how ends up as one giant orgy.
Mar 20, 2013 4:43 AM

Feb 2012
Of course they can. If one of them is homosexual, that is.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Mar 20, 2013 4:47 AM

Apr 2010
Minus the cases where one or the other is gay or asexual I can't really see them just being friends. Just impossibru.
Mar 20, 2013 5:10 AM

Mar 2010
I assume you're friends with them because you find something about them attractive, whether it be personality or looks. I know deep down I try to be friends with girls because they're cute even if they don't have the perfect personality.
Animal instincts etc ..
So, no, there's no way in hell they can be just friends.
Mar 20, 2013 5:49 AM

Mar 2011
Gay best friends ftw.
Mar 20, 2013 5:57 AM

Nov 2012
Kolle said:
definitely. So your telling me if you have had a childhood friend who happens to be a girl but is butt ugly you couldn't be her friend anymore?
Of course not you would be her friend but no more then just that.
this comment deserves more attention.
Mar 20, 2013 6:37 AM

Jun 2012
KingLear said:
Of course they can. If one of them is homosexual, that is.

xD Not sure, even if someone if homosexual, the other part can fall fot him/her.
Mar 20, 2013 6:51 AM

Mar 2012
I know it goes without saying, but just in case it didn't, this thread is proof that people on MAL watch too much anime.

QueenJenny said:
Baptism said:
Come on, Jenny. You're better than this.

*sigh* I'm sorry. You happen to have the same name as my cat btw. That fact always manages to make me chuckle.
As in my actual name? Who names a cat "Josh", haha? That's such a human name.

shintai88 said:
Its hard to be just friends, if its the two of you.
I live with a girl and we hang out, just the two of us, pretty well every day. I'm not attracted to her and I assume I never will be. It's not hard at all.
JoshMar 20, 2013 6:58 AM
LoneWolf said:
Mar 20, 2013 7:09 AM

Jun 2012
No

Mar 20, 2013 7:20 AM
Jan 2013
Its tough because one side usually wants there to be more. I do think it is possible though.
Mar 20, 2013 7:32 AM

Oct 2011
Is it like when a girl says "omg cen we just b frends?" to a guy when he asks her out? In that case no. Guy better run away to find another woman. Otherwise, it it's all natural and the force of nature makes it swing that way, they can be friends. You know, unless if they did something that the other person finds really attractive then all hopes lost. Otherwise they can be fwends fiveever for all I care.

Life is not really black and white, you can't just say men and women can't be friends. There could be so many factors that lead to this. Like age, if a man don't want to date women older than him and the women is same, they can be friends sure. Or if a man find a woman and helps her but he not really interested cuz of something then they can be friends or whatever. this too hard to explain but I think you understand. It's not like math, which problems ultimately only has one answer, This however is a problem that has more than one answer depending on the solution and all the factors.
Mar 20, 2013 7:41 AM

Dec 2011
Sure they can. I don't know about other guys but I don't find every single female I've ever met to be physically or mentally attractive in a romantic or sexual way, even if many other guys think so.

I do think it's common for at least one person in the relationship to harbor feelings but that's certainly not always the case. For example a lot of childhood friends are able have this sort of relationship without feelings getting in the way. Of course I've heard a few stories about that type of relationship ending with one person secretly in love so eh... Idk.

I guess perhaps I'd say it's difficult and uncommon but not impossible. I'm certain I've had at least two good platonic female friends myself.
LayedBackMar 20, 2013 7:59 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2013 7:42 AM

Aug 2012
If men and women "can't just be friends". Then I must have a lot of girlfriends that I wasn't even aware of.... wow
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Mar 20, 2013 7:43 AM

Jul 2012
This
Kaleidx said:
I assume you're friends with them because you find something about them attractive, whether it be personality or looks.

I think it is possible, but the 99% of the time I don't think so.
In regards to the ugly argument, to genuinely consider someone ugly your friend, you must be someone who is able to look past physical appearence, and something about their personality must attract you, so much so, that you don't even notice/consider their physical appearance.

And the other argument is the childhood friends one. That friendship was already formed when you were children and your hormones hadn't kicked in yet, which is different to a man and a woman becoming "just friends" when they meet during thier adult lives.
Idle_HandsMar 20, 2013 8:14 AM
Konbu is important
Mar 20, 2013 7:48 AM

Feb 2008
Yes. Most of my best friends are male.
Mar 20, 2013 7:50 AM

Aug 2012
Kaleidx said:

I assume you're friends with them because you find something about them attractive, whether it be personality or looks.

So you don't think it's possible to have the same reasons to be friends with opposite gender as you would with same gender?

Like similar interests/opinions/beliefs/hobbies/etc

What if you're married? Would you have to get rid all of your opposite gender friends just so you don't feel like you're cheating?
GhostonyMar 20, 2013 7:53 AM
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Mar 20, 2013 8:39 AM

Sep 2008
The more interesting question is, can a man and a woman be friends and then "upgrade" to something else (and no, no "friends with benefits" please). Pretty much every single woman I've encountered believed they can't. Once you're friends, then you either remain friends or stop being friends whatsoever.
Mar 20, 2013 9:26 AM

Jul 2012
Hoppy said:
daintybiscuit said:
Hoppy said:
I have a female best friend that I've known since Grade School and we've never dated ever.

who said anything about dating?

We never screwed either btw. I don't like her in any sexual manner whatsoever.

I'm talking in general, but i appreciate your response ^^
Mar 20, 2013 9:33 AM

Nov 2008
Ghostony said:
Kaleidx said:

So you don't think it's possible to have the same reasons to be friends with opposite gender as you would with same gender?

Like similar interests/opinions/beliefs/hobbies/etc

What if you're married? Would you have to get rid all of your opposite gender friends just so you don't feel like you're cheating?

If you are asked to get rid of your friends in general in order to please your spouse, they aren't worth being married to.

Mar 20, 2013 9:34 AM

Jul 2012
another note: are we talking about casual friends or people (of the opposite sex) that we spend TONS of time with? you know, the ones that are really one of your best friends.

to me that issue is: when you are THAT close to someone of the opposite sex, there is already some sort of attraction there - the kind that makes you get super close and hang out constantly. I think for adults, this can easily cross into a sexual/romantic relationship.

So i guess to me it IS possible, but more complicated some.
Mar 20, 2013 9:40 AM

Nov 2009
That video is driving home the point that the friend zone is truly a terrifying thing, And obviously really only works on men since guys don't have the equivalent of breasts to keep a girl on the hook ...

But ... I'm gonna guess the video was edited for convenience, having said that I can think of a few situations where girls and guys can be just friends although ... not too common. For instance if the girl is either A) Someone who slept with or is currently dating/married to a close friend of yours (somehow in my mind can't get the image out, thus any sexual tension goes poof ... unless she was a 9 or 10 then maybe still got problems) or B) We share a hobby together but that is basically it, for me that is Hookah, have some friends that are girls and we get together and pitch in to get a tin of sheesh and just smoke hookah although this is basically a friendship based on the fact that they smoke hookah too...

But honestly, with friends you want people you can truly relax around, kind of hard to relax around the opposite sex when you have a giant sex drive (sex drive of the average male is 20 times greater than that of the average female) which probably also explains where friend zoning is pretty much a thing for girls.
Mar 20, 2013 10:34 AM

Nov 2011
I have to suffer from being.... Friendzoned!!
Mar 20, 2013 10:48 AM

Feb 2010
Baptism said:
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Even then it's unclear. Are we only considering straight, cis males and females? How are we defining friendship? How are we defining alternatives to friendship? Why is it implied that friendship is not a distinct type of relationship, but something that only serves to precede romance?

I'm taking the question at complete face value. Male and female. Sexuality be damned.

Though it looks like the just friends label irks you. And yeah, at the same time there's the romance that starts as a romance as opposed to friendship status being a jumping board.

And I really don't think definitions are going to serve us here.
Mar 20, 2013 11:10 AM

Mar 2013
Of course it's possible.

My best friend is a homosexual man, whom I enjoy talking about blow-jobs with.
Mar 20, 2013 11:43 AM

Jan 2013
The argument that sexual attraction causes male/female friendships to fail falls apart completely when you talk about bisexuals, because by that logic they would not be able to make friends at all.
I don't have a signature.
Mar 20, 2013 11:52 AM

Sep 2011
Yah theres friends that are girls that i have no urge to be with or sleep with. But the girl i ended up falling for was a friend at first so i can kind of see where this might come from though its a huge exageration to say you cant be just friends

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 20, 2013 1:33 PM

Mar 2013
Generally, no.
Yes only in exclusion when both have no sexually attraction to each other (asexuals, for example).
Mar 20, 2013 2:10 PM

Dec 2012
I doubt it's a matter of whether or not the people involved are attractive enough..I don't know how to explain it, but it does exist..the question should've been " Do the people in these friendships always end up developping feelings for each other or not ? " and mostly, they do.
Insert wise quote here
Mar 20, 2013 4:48 PM

Mar 2012
I'd like to believe it was possible, but I'm not 100% sure it is.

EDIT: There are exceptions too the rule, such as if 2 people grow up together, think they can be friends because often you find that you don't really have any sexual feelings for people you've known since childhood.
NicoleMar 20, 2013 4:55 PM
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Mar 20, 2013 7:40 PM

Oct 2009
Nicole said:
I'd like to believe it was possible, but I'm not 100% sure it is.

EDIT: There are exceptions too the rule, such as if 2 people grow up together, think they can be friends because often you find that you don't really have any sexual feelings for people you've known since childhood.

Did you mean Westermarck effect? I doubt it.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Pages (15) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

857 by zzz »»
6 minutes ago

» When did you first experience heartbreak in a romantic sense?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

35 by Zarutaku »»
19 minutes ago

» Has anyone here tried learning an artificial language?

Malkshake - Yesterday

8 by traed »»
35 minutes ago

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

91 by hell_angelicx »»
44 minutes ago

» What is one thing your country is famous for that you wish it wasn't ( 1 2 )

MadanielFL - Mar 31, 2023

72 by bucciest »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.