Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 14, 2014 3:56 AM
Dec 2010
count_demonicus6 said:
...there is also the idea that the other proxy was going to embrace him at the end of this episode as he had no escape\

why specifically embrace when in the prior episode they were in combat? i don't quite understand, especially when Vincent dropped his gaze like that. Your theory is solid, though!
Mar 2, 2014 7:51 AM

Jan 2009
1. series feels too serious for me. no comic relief or any kind of emotions anywhere. hard to connect w/ characters like this.

2. this ep didn't mean much cuz i don't even care about chracters. one more episode for me, then i'll drop.

4/10
Apr 25, 2014 12:18 AM

Aug 2013
I did not expect that brutal massacre at all. It was like why is this happening? Why is the proxy chasing Vincent? And then the end sequence with the pendant...Vincent what are you hiding?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 18, 2014 10:47 AM

Oct 2013
xchee said:
I did not expect that brutal massacre at all. It was like why is this happening? Why is the proxy chasing Vincent? And then the end sequence with the pendant...Vincent what are you hiding?

They better explain that.

May 18, 2014 7:55 PM

May 2013
I liked the scene of the Proxy's rampage. It was a good homage to Battleship Potemkin and The Untouchables.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Aug 9, 2014 6:36 PM
Jul 2018
I'm loving this show. Great osts.
So proxies are that monsters.
Re-l Looks so much like Amy lee from evanescence lol
Aug 10, 2014 2:37 PM

Dec 2007
HE HAD HIS EYES CLOSED THE WHOLE TIME?
Nov 13, 2014 1:05 PM

Aug 2013
I'm not hyped at all. My friends ratings are high, so it is only reason why I'm (still) watching it. I love sci fi, but it seems to be another 'bakemono-fi'. Animation sucks. When I seen Higurashi, I was convinced that it looks ugly, but Ergo Proxy looks much much uglier.
A hope that plot will get more interesting soon...
rsc-plNov 13, 2014 1:09 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 14, 2014 12:18 AM

Nov 2014
rsc-pl said:
I'm not hyped at all. My friends ratings are high, so it is only reason why I'm (still) watching it. I love sci fi, but it seems to be another 'bakemono-fi'. Animation sucks. When I seen Higurashi, I was convinced that it looks ugly, but Ergo Proxy looks much much uglier.
A hope that plot will get more interesting soon...

just drop it if you have better stuff to do. if you don't like the ambience nor the characters by now, it's not gonna get better
Nov 21, 2014 3:39 PM

Jul 2013
WOW didn't saw it coming Vincent is a proxy (99% sure)
Fun fact: Fake story of Re-I getting attacked by stalker is true :)
Mar 18, 2015 8:26 AM

Aug 2014
So it seems the higher organizations are trying to cover the monsters up. It seems like they can't really do anything against them though.
Apr 17, 2015 1:43 PM

Sep 2014
So this show seems pretty chill, but I can't see anything half the time. The brightness on my screen is up all the way but I'm struggling so hard
Jun 8, 2015 6:39 PM

Jan 2015
Weird animation in this one, cool episode anyways, I'm still a little confused xD
Jul 26, 2015 5:29 PM

Jul 2015
Yeah, definitely enjoying this. Vincent is a proxy. So that's who the one proxy was fighting in Re-l's apartment.

What's up with the statues talking for Grandpa though?
Sep 4, 2015 9:05 PM

Nov 2012
This show is promising. It's got a lot of potential with its story and characters.
Nov 14, 2015 9:34 AM

Jul 2015
Great episode, the animation have take a step down but it's understandable that they wouldn't been able to keep the level of episode 1.
Dec 6, 2015 7:35 AM
Mar 2014
I knew Vincent had somthing to hide.

They want to hide all evidence of the "specimen" i wonder how they will do that after that massacre at the mall.
Feb 2, 2016 10:29 PM

Aug 2013
Holy fart... the suspense is killing.
When his eyelids are opening.. so badass.
Apr 28, 2016 1:25 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
kie_ said:
I'm not understanding anything but it's interesting XD

yes! But I totally want to see more *-*

May 10, 2016 5:49 AM

Jul 2015
this ep got me really into it due to the suspense. much better t han ep 1.
May 15, 2016 6:54 AM

Oct 2015
Damn this show sure likes its greys and browns.

My first impression is that Ergo Proxy is good at enticing the viewer with its cyberpunk/post-apoc setting that feels alien, and it has good direction in the sense that it is a tense experience, but it lacks personality.

6/10 material so far.
Aug 10, 2016 2:48 AM

Apr 2013
I don't like how they build-up in between but I'm intruiged by the mystery of these proxy beings.
Oct 10, 2016 12:43 AM

Jan 2010
The messages sent to fellow citizens, or "model citizens" to be specific, is actually being made for those that aren't by the looks of it. In the context of the story, those that are already model citizens appear to be, for lack of a better term, brainwashed by whatever powers that be to act in accordance to the ideal image of a citizen, thus those that act against that image would need some level of convincing to live that idealized lifestyle. Something as simple as picking up trash gives a sense of logic and order to the city of Romdeau, despite the city's untold mysteries getting constantly covered up. Also, the word "fellow" is interesting as it gives a sense of companionship togetherness in spite of the inherent hierarchy of the city.

Immigrants are strangely outed here, possibly due to them being outsiders to the city, thereby having questionable allegiances and pasts. A sense of fear creating a distinct separation between groups of people? Perhaps a sense of nationalism? I dunno.

Manipulation of information, huh. I suppose in a number of futuristic, Dystopian-type settings, information becomes the main currency of trade and manipulation. When it hits the point where you can quantify memories and identity, you'll start to have these kinds of setups, specifically that of identity, privacy, and self-preservation in a world where you're defined by numbers.

Oh, so I assume this sort of council is being represented by...Roman sculptures? At least I think they're Roman. Kinda more heavy handed than being represented by obelisks, and a lot less subtle in the reference. Though, I'm not sure what to make of it beyond the avatars being used to denote the speakers as being linked to both historic philosophies and the arts, specifically in this futuristic setting.

The chase in Yoslis Park was interesting since I"m not sure how much of it was intended. Everyone stood by as the monster ripped apart everyone while chasing Law. Maybe that was a way of expressing how detached everyone was from reality, not recognizing danger when they see it. Perhaps it was a limitation of the animation budget, leaving everyone in still frames as opposed to having them properly run for their lives. Amidst of the massacre, you had a mother and baby killed with a robotic child attaining sentience. Though, at this moment, I'm not exactly sure what this is supposed to mean beyond shock value.

Oh, and I still don't know why the chase even happened. Either I missed something or it'll be explained in a later episode. At the very least, with a name as significant as "Vincent Law," I figured he had a greater role in this story than the easily frightened immigrant who may or may not be interested in Mayer. On the side, I saw the art and animation dip a number of times throughout the episode. I'm not gonna hold it against the anime, but it does make me wonder what's going on behind the curtains of the anime. Lastly, I just realized that the credits are shown on a slant.

...Interesting choice. It's different, I'll give it that. Perhaps it's a stylistic choice that bears no weight on the show itself, but if Ergo Proxy is trying to be as smart as it's portraying itself to be, I'm gonna pay attention to as much as I can.
Nov 16, 2016 11:16 PM

Oct 2012
Well that escalated pretty quick
"Signature removed"
Dec 3, 2016 11:22 AM

Jan 2013
I found it funny when the Proxy just kept flinging people all over the mall.
Can't believe Re-L actually thought for a second she had a dream rather than actually having experienced it - Good thing she came to her senses when she got back to her home.
Dec 18, 2016 9:52 PM

Feb 2016
This show is pretty dang good, I was wrong to listen to the negative reviews, clearly they were nitpicking and trying to be edgy lol.

I find it humourous that the 'entourage' is both a helpful AI assistant as well as the surveillance cameras for the state. Thought the telescreen was cool, Ergo Proxy raises you a walking one.

All the entourage auto reiv seems to be of the opposite gender of the citizen. I wonder if that was a well reasoned deliberation behind the design?

Ah once I've seen a few more it actually becomes quite ingenius, the subtlety behind the reasoning.

Cloud_IllusionDec 22, 2016 4:28 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Apr 7, 2017 1:10 PM

Jan 2016
after watching this ep i went back to watch the first episode and yeah Vincent is the other Proxy that was crying with Re-l.
This is weird but i like it.

Gotta say, that mall massacre was pretty epic, rip to the mother and kid thought they would have a bigger role.
Mr_ShnbApr 7, 2017 1:14 PM
May 6, 2017 12:41 PM

Jun 2013
That scene in the mall, what a mess. This seems like a pretty dark story, but there are some moments of levity, like when Re-l must get Daedalus out of the room or get rid of Iggy.

Still in the dark about why the proxies are so obsessed with Re-l, and what they were made for.
Jun 12, 2017 1:55 AM

Jun 2017
How hard is this show trying to appear edgy and intellectual? Are we supposed to feel something about the dead baby, or is it just to reinforce its "Dark" and "Realistic" tone? And for gods sake, naming the talking statues after dead philosophers has got to be the most tryhard thing I've ever heard. Unless their thought somehow relates to the themes of the series (and given the number of names they dropped, I doubt it), then it's just a pretentious way of looking smart. Art needs to stand on its own two feet in telling something meaningful about the human experience. This is just...
Oh well, I'm gonna keep watching to see if keeps being unintentionally funny.
Nov 10, 2017 3:36 PM

Dec 2015
Killing infants eh? This show is trying so hard to be edgy...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 23, 2017 8:52 PM

Nov 2017
Really enjoying where this is going. Not sure if this series can maintain this level for 20+ episodes, but I'm hopeful.
Jan 17, 2018 9:18 AM

Mar 2012
DON'T BULLY THE LOLI ANDROID ;_;

Vincent couldn't try to avoid leading the murderous proxy away from the crowd? Jesus dude.
Mar 7, 2018 4:52 PM

Feb 2013
Dang... was it this good the first time I watched it? It really is like watching a movie. I don't want to stop! 5/5

Pino started praying.

As for the dead baby... this society does not care. As mentioned in the first episode, if the population drops too much they will just "make more". Given how information is controlled, it "never" happened.
BurntJellyMar 7, 2018 4:55 PM
Apr 9, 2018 1:34 AM

Jul 2017
Wow creepy af. Feel sorry for the mother and the baby.
Apr 9, 2018 10:52 PM

Sep 2017
Quite awesome. Looks more like the sci-fi I want to watch.

Iggy was quite hilarious when he danced over to the laptop to search for new clothes.

The immigrant could be another PROXY,the one who appeared before. The escalator death of mother and child were quite dramatic. Also the references to Amrita(the elixir of immortality) and Hayflick limit as medical term were awesome. They really did their fair share of work.

And pseudology actually means a false study. Look it up. This is shaping up to be quite the mystery thriller.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 13, 2018 10:29 PM

Jan 2018
Ahhh, so the higher ups are covering shit up. I thought it was weird for Iggy to glow red eyes and talk rather robotic in the previous episode. So he was tapped by the government already.

God damn, this child is creepy as fuck.

Creepy, yet cool simultaneously:

Of course the child gets infected. Why am I not surprised? Although I did not expect the baby and mother to die like they did. Holy shit!

I'm guessing the men are hunting the girl because there are footage of her kneeling and praying so they're gonna kill her for being infected? That's fucked up. They're self-aware now, so it's practically like killing a real little girl. Well now I feel bad for her.
And Vincent has that badass glare. I like that. Staring death in the face. That's how you should go out.

I hope Vincent and the girl lives. And I hope Lil overcomes her fear of the Proxy. She looks so vulnerable.

Jan 28, 2019 8:02 PM

Mar 2016
So, I guess self-awareness is some kind of religious experience for these things. I'm also guessing humans becoming'self-aware' in their own way and escaping from whatever weird society this is will be a big part of the story?

Interesting that her Cartesian doubt is influenced by the unreliability of those around her , or more accurately the system around her. (yeah, it's impossible to ignore the cogito and ergo and meditation when it's staring me right in the face.) It's way too easy to change the facts when they're being solely record in some kind of digital space, and human memory is meaningless in the face of contrived psychological issues.

"make waste." "Load." Propaganda for healthy digestion? lol
syncrogazerJan 29, 2019 7:38 AM
Mar 10, 2019 4:07 AM

Feb 2018
Pretty good episode , I'm really liking this so far .
Apr 4, 2020 7:45 PM

Dec 2013
Let's go to the mall, so to speak.
Apr 24, 2020 8:45 PM

Mar 2020
imma go listen to creep
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Sep 21, 2020 12:33 AM

Jun 2020
hella good episode, i know its going to get slow later but right now im hooked.

also, paranoid android as the ed???!!
Nov 26, 2020 1:38 PM

Jun 2010
A bit slow and dawdling with too much dialogue so the level of tension isn't rising despite Re-l facing obstacles all around her.

The baby dying was shocking but the way it seems to have exploded was rather excessive and lessened rather than heightened the effect.

Amusing that all those bureaucrats stonewalled Re-l with the excuse that she was suffering a psychological shock from the attack only for it to turn out to be true when she collapses when returning to her old apartment. You could say that the urge to secrecy and deceit hurt her in this way.
Jan 16, 2021 2:16 PM
Jul 2013
Re-watching after seven years thanks to YouTube recommendation. It's better the second time around, or I was just too young. This is a true Seinen.
"I may be paranoid, but I'm not an android." Come on, you can not find a better ED.
Feb 22, 2021 6:20 AM

Jan 2021

Plot requires your full attention
Jun 2, 2021 9:03 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode! I kinda forgotten how Re-L is a detective for the bureau. It's so badass seeing her use the shotgun like that.

Even though I still remember vividly of the plot (as well as who the other Proxy is). I really wish I don't have memory of the show so I could still be surprised years later.

Anyways, love the animation and atmosphere! Getting on the groove now!

Let's watch some more!
Sep 29, 2021 10:55 AM
Nov 2020
Loving this so far even if I only have a loose grip on what's happening.
Jul 6, 2022 3:32 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The conspiracy around the Proxies is really mysterious especially how they want to censor everything related to it especially Re-l's investigation about it, though seems like that attack was a major one with that amount of death/wounded they just can't handle the Proxy like that
Sep 8, 2022 11:49 AM

May 2018
I'm guessing the red suit boy is special in some way. Also rip family
Sep 9, 2022 4:50 PM
Sep 2022
a little confusing lol
Sep 24, 2022 2:19 AM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
Everyone is such an asshole treating her as if she were crazy when they know damn well she's not.
That baby falling down the stairs scene... was inspired by/homenage to movie "Battleship Potemkin (1925)". I liked it

Aight so that guy has something to do with the proxy
nostalgiaasSep 24, 2022 2:23 AM

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BUD - May 19, 2008

317 by INoLuv »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

pietel - Dec 13, 2007

194 by Spirelord »»
Sep 8, 8:36 PM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

235 by Spirelord »»
Sep 8, 7:50 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

BUD - May 5, 2008

129 by Spirelord »»
Sep 8, 4:55 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 12, 2008

84 by Spirelord »»
Sep 8, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.