Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 23, 1:36 PM
May 2017
Excellent ending episode of an excellent series! Kusuriya no Hitorigoto 2nd Season will resume the story in 2025.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Mar 23, 1:56 PM

Dec 2020
Anyone knows the name of the OST that plays while Maomao is dancing?
Mar 23, 2:06 PM
Jun 2022
insane anime! I cant wait for S2... Loved every single EP!
Mar 23, 2:08 PM

Nov 2023
Great ending, and we also get confirmation on Season 2 which comes out next year.

I guess it's time to read the novels.
Mar 23, 2:10 PM
Aug 2022
Gotta say this episode really brought back that enjoyment I had with this show. A very emotional and funny episode.

Maomao looks genuinely so gorgeous when she dresses up.

That dance scene was animated phenomenally, if there’s one thing I love in anime, it’s a good dance scene. I can see that dance being used in anime edits

Ngl for a second I thought Maomao was tryna confess to jinshi 🤣
Mar 23, 2:15 PM

Jan 2008
Lakan can be an asshole, no question about that...I'm not here to defend him. But the "mistake" he made could just as easily have been placed on Maomao's mother, who equally gave into their passion in that one night that conceived Maomao. Fengxian only got pregnant in the first place because she wanted to, as Maomao explained later in the episode. Nonetheless, I think we're all forgetting an even bigger asshole here, someone who doesn't get nearly enough hate the way I see it--the granny madam. It was her that forced Fengxian to bed dirty random nobodies who came in off the street because she was no longer "valuable" after losing her virginity/being pregnant/giving birth, which is how she got syphilis afterward. Now that she was too far gone and losing her mind at that, she could no longer take any customers thereby being a net negative from the money-grubbing perspective of the granny, making the excuse of needing to make money completely pointless now, as she wasn't bringing in anything anymore. The second reason why she's an asshole is that she prevented Lakan from getting near Maomao and Fengxian from the moment Maomao was 3, robbing him of the chances of ever experiencing fatherhood raising Maomao, and being a husband. After those first 3 lost years, Lakan TRIED to come back, again and again, but was chased away by the granny each time for over a decade (who's the actual one that forced Fengxian to be a low-tier prostitute). She also robbed him of ever buying out Fengxian, which he could have spent the remaining years together with her before she eventually succumbs to the disease...precious years that all three parties will never get back. The WORST part of all of this is that the granny is:

Right to the very end, the granny tried to stop Lakan from even knowing of Fengxian's fate and existence if it weren't for Meimei. The granny can go to hell!

At any rate, I think Lakan buying out Fengxian and redeeming the love of his life is a beautiful way to end this season (as well as Maomao's beautiful send-off dance for her mother). Lakan loved Fengxian regardless of what she looked like (she even lost her nose), while being one of the few people's faces he could recognize with his neurological condition of face-blindness. I think that deserves some amount of respect at least.

Maomao explained the reasoning for why she disliked him; for not using his talents better, which is different from when she was young when she disliked him for being a stranger (no thanks to the granny, the old hag). I'm glad Gaoshun said what needed to be said about "...no father wants to be disliked." as he himself is also a father.

I don't think I mentioned it before, but I'm happy they changed Maomao's eye color from purple to blue (probably to not clash with Jinshi's character design), because with the blue rose symbolism in the series, it's as if it's saying Maomao has inherited the beauty of the blue rose from her mother, and the effort of her father-who started the whole blue rose thing when he was first courting Fengxian in their younger years.

The 2nd season has been greenlit for next year! I couldn't be happier that it's going to be in production again. If only Frieren could make some kind of announcement that is more definitive than the ambiguous teaser that could just as easily mean nothing.

2nd Season Teaser Announcement:

I'm also excited about the release of Kusuriya no Hitorigoto's OST releasing in April. I'll likely get that to listen while reading the manga.
Estoy_GordoMar 23, 2:27 PM
Mar 23, 2:27 PM

Apr 2013
Reply to perseii
@ssjokg Since you seem to have a good understanding of the story, I have a question:

Why did Lakan leave Fengxian for roughly 15 (?) years alone at the Verdigris House?

If he thought she was dead, who told him that and kept him in the dark for all those years? Was it the old lady who runs the brothel? (She did smack him with a broom) Was it because Fengxian asked her to tell him that, out of hatred for the man who abandoned her?

Why was the owner lady OK with Lakan buying Fengxian now? Isn't it messed up to sell Fengxian now that her mind is mostly gone due to syphilis, so that she doesn't have a say about this?

If Lakan knew Fengxian had a baby, then why didn't he do anything about his own child, and let Luomen raise her? Was it guilt and shame? If so, why did he ask Maomao to come live with him only now, after leaving her with Luomen for 17 (?) years? Or was he denied custody by Luomen?

It's tragic what happened to Lakan and Fengxian 17 years ago, but Lakan's actions since then (and to a lesser degree, Fengxian's) have been pretty careless and irresponsible.

(A less important question is, how did Fengxian remain at the Verdigris House as basically an invalid for 15 years? We were told time and time again that the pleasure district is a harsh place where women are cast out if they can't make money. Fengxian herself was forced to become a common prostitute after she gave birth. Was it Luomen and Maomao who paid for the expenses all those years? Was this mentioned?)
@perseii When he came back 3 years later the old lady told him she was no longer here and hit him with a broom. After that, she never ever re appeared anywhere (being at all time in that room so no rumours were going around). Only the Verdegris house members know that she's here. From the courtesans PoV, what happened to Fengxian is the worst possible thing that you can do to them. Make them dream of being bought by you, and then disappear after having a child with you. So yes, they're extremely mad at him and are "protecting" her from him.

The other reason no one talk ever about Fengxian is the simple fact that for a brothel, having one of their courtesans suffering from syphilis is a major problem if known by the customers. Furthermore, in this state she's no longer saleable anyway, so telling anything to Lakan doesn't make sense from their PoV.

The old hag is still not happy about selling her to the man that destroyed her (even if it wasn't on purpose at all), even today. But she did promise he could chose anyone, and she knows that she doesn't have long to live either.

As pointed in this episode, Lakan did things about his own child. A child born from a courtesan in a brothel belongs to the brothel. So if you want her out, you need to buy her. For that, you need a lot of money, which Lakan certainly took time to gather as he needed to raise in rank for that. And you also need the brothel to accept to sell her, which they didn't want to, as the old hag hates the guy. Luomen's small house is technically on the Verdigris's ground, and belong to them. So when Maomao sleeps here, she technically sleeps in the Verdegris house, in which she belongs.

Finally, to answer the last question, as well as explain further the old hag's behaviour, the answer is a spoiler (not an important one, but it's revealed quite late in the story (tome is not even translated yet)

ZefyrisMar 23, 2:31 PM
Mar 23, 2:34 PM
Jan 2018
They skipped the reason why mao mao kept making that face when larken was mentioned wtf
Mar 23, 2:39 PM
Apr 2013
I honestly thought the dance scene was very disappointing.
The camerawork was quite shoddy, i was yelling at the screen, "for f*ck sakes hold it still so i can see!"
Mar 23, 2:44 PM

Jan 2009
I'm feeling a bit puzzled how Lakan is called a "criminal" or "bastard". Can someone please enlighten me what exactly he did to warrant these labels?

From what I can see, his biggest crimes seem to have been not answering letters for 3 years since he was sent off - and getting on Maomao's bad side. But neither of that warrants the hate I see. What am I missing?
Mar 23, 2:49 PM
Feb 2024
SEASON TWO HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED!! 🥳🥳🥳
This episode ends in chapter 40 of the 8th manga for those who want to continue reading now that the first season has finished airing

Maomao’s dance was somehow even more beautiful than I could have ever imagined! I’m sad that this season has come to an end, it quickly became one of my all time favorites. The colors, characters, and animation are all just so amazing. She’s an incredible dancer, I’m glad Jinshi got to see (and also that he caught her 😅)
AND THE FACT THAT MAOMAO CARRIES NEEDLE AND THREAD JUST TO STITCH UP HER WOUND 😂
Jinshi’s mom mode got activated, I love that he just tucked her under his arm and set out on a mission (and then carried her princess style (≧∀≦) ). And the way she asked for her bezoar! 😂 maybe she’ll get it next season?
Mar 23, 3:01 PM

Jan 2022
Things finally worked out for Lakan and Fengxian. It does seem like Fengxian was a little manipulative though. I didn't realize that Fengxian cut off Maomao's finger until I read this comment section. Poor girl has been through so much but she's tough!!

I thought Lakan was going to buy out Meimei for her love. The last scene was hilarious. I was really hoping for a confession, but nope, it was just for the ox bezoar.

The dance was nice but way too long lowkey.

I don't remember much since it was over a looong period of time, but overall it was a good watch. I'm looking forward to season 2!!
cooldogmomMar 23, 3:04 PM
This never updates so that's cool
Mar 23, 3:05 PM

Mar 2020
Lakan finally sees Fengxian again, and Maomao dances in the moonlight...

An excellent finale to this wonderful season, with Lakan's reunion with Fengxian being quite emotional, and just a very beautiful episode overall with Maomao's dance as well.

Overall, this was a fantastic series, along with one of the best main female characters I have seen in a while, in Maomao. While not every mystery or every episode hit as deeply, whenever they did, it was excellent, riveting, even bone-chilling. Despite a bit of a lull in the middle part of the series, the payoff at the end proved that the mysteries weren't just episodic one-offs, but very plot-relevant. It stood its ground against the other heavy hitter this season, which was Frieren, and in ways, surpassed even that anime at times, with how impactful some of the episodes were. If you have any interest in Chinese dramas, or even if you don’t, there will likely be something you will find that intrigues you. With a Season 2 confirmed for next year, I couldn’t be more excited to see more of this wonderful series.
Nov 2022
The Apothecary Diaries has really made it into my top 10 list of favorite anime.
Everything about the anime is just super cool. I love the characters, the story and the setting. From the very beginning I was fascinated by the anime and I didn't find any episode boring or unnecessary. Every episode has contributed to the advancement of the plot, even if it doesn't seem that way at the beginning. Maomao and Jinshi are both super interesting main characters who both have super intriguing backstories and the chemistry between the two is also very sweet. All the secondary characters are also really well written and not boring at all. Gaoshun has definitely grown on me the most. He's just a pretty cool servant and has everything in view and always knows what to do.

I also found Lakan's Redemption story very believable and I've actually always liked him as a character.
He was a bit weird and creepy, but now that you know him better, I definitely sympathize with him. And what we saw of him in this episode was just totally cute. I'm glad that Maomao's parents have found their way together again.
I'm super excited for the second season coming next year. I'm hoping for more cute scenes between Jinji and Maomao. I will definitely read the manga and also the light novel because I can't wait that long for the anime to continue. In any case, The Apothecary's Diaries is a 10/10 from me and will probably stay in my top 10 list for a very long time.
Feb 2022
Reply to Estoy_Gordo
Lakan can be an asshole, no question about that...I'm not here to defend him. But the "mistake" he made could just as easily have been placed on Maomao's mother, who equally gave into their passion in that one night that conceived Maomao. Fengxian only got pregnant in the first place because she wanted to, as Maomao explained later in the episode. Nonetheless, I think we're all forgetting an even bigger asshole here, someone who doesn't get nearly enough hate the way I see it--the granny madam. It was her that forced Fengxian to bed dirty random nobodies who came in off the street because she was no longer "valuable" after losing her virginity/being pregnant/giving birth, which is how she got syphilis afterward. Now that she was too far gone and losing her mind at that, she could no longer take any customers thereby being a net negative from the money-grubbing perspective of the granny, making the excuse of needing to make money completely pointless now, as she wasn't bringing in anything anymore. The second reason why she's an asshole is that she prevented Lakan from getting near Maomao and Fengxian from the moment Maomao was 3, robbing him of the chances of ever experiencing fatherhood raising Maomao, and being a husband. After those first 3 lost years, Lakan TRIED to come back, again and again, but was chased away by the granny each time for over a decade (who's the actual one that forced Fengxian to be a low-tier prostitute). She also robbed him of ever buying out Fengxian, which he could have spent the remaining years together with her before she eventually succumbs to the disease...precious years that all three parties will never get back. The WORST part of all of this is that the granny is:

Right to the very end, the granny tried to stop Lakan from even knowing of Fengxian's fate and existence if it weren't for Meimei. The granny can go to hell!

At any rate, I think Lakan buying out Fengxian and redeeming the love of his life is a beautiful way to end this season (as well as Maomao's beautiful send-off dance for her mother). Lakan loved Fengxian regardless of what she looked like (she even lost her nose), while being one of the few people's faces he could recognize with his neurological condition of face-blindness. I think that deserves some amount of respect at least.

Maomao explained the reasoning for why she disliked him; for not using his talents better, which is different from when she was young when she disliked him for being a stranger (no thanks to the granny, the old hag). I'm glad Gaoshun said what needed to be said about "...no father wants to be disliked." as he himself is also a father.

I don't think I mentioned it before, but I'm happy they changed Maomao's eye color from purple to blue (probably to not clash with Jinshi's character design), because with the blue rose symbolism in the series, it's as if it's saying Maomao has inherited the beauty of the blue rose from her mother, and the effort of her father-who started the whole blue rose thing when he was first courting Fengxian in their younger years.

The 2nd season has been greenlit for next year! I couldn't be happier that it's going to be in production again. If only Frieren could make some kind of announcement that is more definitive than the ambiguous teaser that could just as easily mean nothing.

I'm also excited about the release of Kusuriya no Hitorigoto's OST releasing in April. I'll likely get that to listen while reading the manga.
@Estoy_Gordo YES THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I've never hated a character (who isn't even supposed to be an "antagonist") as much as that old hag. Villains can do horrendous thinks and still be an interesting character unfortunately she's neither. Tbh I was surprised by the lack of hate she seemed to be getting (yes ik this episode just came out - I'm referring when I was reading the manga in the comments). Also surprised by the user here who unreasonably despises Lakan even after this episode. After I had read the corresponding chapter for this episode, Lakan actually became my favorite character beating out Maomao by not quite a landslide by a sizable chunk nonetheless. I won't say Lakan is completely free of any blame but if there's any sole person responsible for this whole thing it's undoubtedly the granny.

Anyway I'm just rambling here but it's nice to see that I'm not the only on who hates the granny lol. You also worded the reasons for it way better than I could've so thanks for that :D
Mar 23, 3:15 PM

Apr 2016
Generational classic alongside Frieren. Best mystery anime since Hyouka.
Mar 23, 3:18 PM

Nov 2017
Mao Mao's sublime dance to end the first season in style!
Mar 23, 3:19 PM

Aug 2014
Reply to Mentar
I'm feeling a bit puzzled how Lakan is called a "criminal" or "bastard". Can someone please enlighten me what exactly he did to warrant these labels?

From what I can see, his biggest crimes seem to have been not answering letters for 3 years since he was sent off - and getting on Maomao's bad side. But neither of that warrants the hate I see. What am I missing?
@Mentar it simply of... first impression.
So no matter what the background and explanation being given in the anime, he still that.

Thought it's kind of a bum that they cut the expalantion on why Mao Mao react so strongly about Lakan, aside from her being jealous of his talent.

Here's another reason:
RuiseMar 23, 3:25 PM
Mar 23, 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
even though I already knew the ending because of spoilers I didn't actually expect him to not now she was still alive. I thought he was simply not allowed to see her just like his daughter but he must have thought she was dead the whole time.

She probably would have had a way better life if they actually told him she was alive. Seems a bit of a plot hole
Mar 23, 3:30 PM

Feb 2019
I'm really sad that Maomao doesn't know how much her father cared for Fengxian. She knows the pregnancy was planned but not why or what prevented him from returning home, she probably still thinks he just abandoned her mother or just behaved as a normal customer and got unlucky.

But I guess that makes sense, and it's not like she has to think of things like that.

Anyway I LOVED LOVED this series. The only thing I would nitpick about is that I wish there was more development in Jinshi and Maomao's characters, I felt a bit more emotionally attached to the side characters. But I do care about and like them. I felt that way about Frieren too but it was worse there for me.

I might check out the LN! There were probably so many little things and foreshadowing I didn't notice, but I don't really like rewatching stuff haha so I'll just start the different medium
TeirayoMar 23, 3:37 PM
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Mar 23, 3:40 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to Mentar

@Mentar Theres just this same die hard feminazi simp who makes new accounts every week to blame Lakan
Mar 23, 3:42 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to PaninaManina

ABSURD CASE OF PARENTAL ALIENATION!! 💢

DISGUSTING CRIMINAL, I'M SO MAD! 💢
@PaninaManina

I don't understand why, why?!!
Not only they kept two people who really loved each other UNTIL DEATH apart all this time, they also kept and raised Xiaomao in a brothel when she could had grown up inside the palace with plenty of privileges. Lakan wanted her, needed her! But they left him thinking that Fengxian had died and feeling guilty and not deserving of his daughter.
Where are the mongol army when we need them?
Also, did Loumen knew that Fengxian was alive? Why he let Lakan live that hell?
Also, Xiaomao knew what was happening and took part in it because she felt jealously of his smarts?! That's not the behavior of a "mary sue"! Lakan doesn't deserve him.
Mar 23, 3:47 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Estoy_Gordo

@Estoy_Gordo
Your spoiler.... NO WAY! I'M STANDING IN MY CHAIR LIVID!
This must be the strongest "rage of a thousand suns" I ever felt with anime/mangá!
Mar 23, 3:48 PM

Jun 2019
My 263rd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.

WatchTillTandavaMar 23, 3:52 PM
Mar 23, 3:48 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Zefyris
@perseii When he came back 3 years later the old lady told him she was no longer here and hit him with a broom. After that, she never ever re appeared anywhere (being at all time in that room so no rumours were going around). Only the Verdegris house members know that she's here. From the courtesans PoV, what happened to Fengxian is the worst possible thing that you can do to them. Make them dream of being bought by you, and then disappear after having a child with you. So yes, they're extremely mad at him and are "protecting" her from him.

The other reason no one talk ever about Fengxian is the simple fact that for a brothel, having one of their courtesans suffering from syphilis is a major problem if known by the customers. Furthermore, in this state she's no longer saleable anyway, so telling anything to Lakan doesn't make sense from their PoV.

The old hag is still not happy about selling her to the man that destroyed her (even if it wasn't on purpose at all), even today. But she did promise he could chose anyone, and she knows that she doesn't have long to live either.

As pointed in this episode, Lakan did things about his own child. A child born from a courtesan in a brothel belongs to the brothel. So if you want her out, you need to buy her. For that, you need a lot of money, which Lakan certainly took time to gather as he needed to raise in rank for that. And you also need the brothel to accept to sell her, which they didn't want to, as the old hag hates the guy. Luomen's small house is technically on the Verdigris's ground, and belong to them. So when Maomao sleeps here, she technically sleeps in the Verdegris house, in which she belongs.

Finally, to answer the last question, as well as explain further the old hag's behaviour, the answer is a spoiler (not an important one, but it's revealed quite late in the story (tome is not even translated yet)

Zefyris said:
So yes, they're extremely mad at him and are "protecting" her from him.

OK, I thought so. Other than that brief scene with the old lady and the broom, it wasn't clear to me what the brothel's stance was and how Lakan was understanding the situation.

It's hard to believe that a "master strategist" like Lakan couldn't find out what happened to Fengxian, whom he loved very much (supposedly). If she died, he could've investigated how it happened and where she was buried. If she was sold off, he could've asked around the town for witnesses and rumors, and maybe even get a peek at the ledger to see who bought her (I assume these kinds of things are written down). We don't know if he even tried very hard. Maybe he tried and failed, the brothel being extremely secretive and cut off from the outside world.

Zefyris said:
A child born from a courtesan in a brothel belongs to the brothel.

Thanks, I forgot about this aspect. Now that Maomao is a "free woman" after Jinshi bought her out, Lakan could ask her to live with him, I guess.

But I don't think we ever learned that Lakan was planning to "buy" Maomao, or if his offer was rejected by the old lady. Was this ever mentioned?

Everything you said makes a lot of sense, but it hinges on a lot of very small details that were mentioned in passing, or it feels like speculation and deduction. Or is a lot of this explained in the source material?
Mar 23, 3:57 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Ruise
@Mentar it simply of... first impression.
So no matter what the background and explanation being given in the anime, he still that.

Thought it's kind of a bum that they cut the expalantion on why Mao Mao react so strongly about Lakan, aside from her being jealous of his talent.

Here's another reason:
Ruise said:

Here's another reason:

Wait what? Those manga panels explain a lot! Why did they cut this from the anime?

Her visceral reaction towards Lakan makes a lot more sense this way, we understand what Lakan tried to do once he learned of his mistake, AND we see Luomen's perspective in all of this. As a bonus, I learned exactly how much Fengxian was disfigured from her illness (I don't think the anime shows or mentions this... did it?).

It's just weird and disappointing how manga/LN readers have to explain what happened in such a high-quality anime. This happened to me more than once with this show.

Mar 23, 4:00 PM

Jun 2023
Lakan's story at the end is very touching, I'm happy for them both.. He's not bad at all ㅜㅜ

I really like all the insert songs..

캬아아아아아 I'm gonnna miss you both too♡
See ya next year♡

MatchappieMar 23, 4:15 PM
Mar 23, 4:03 PM

May 2016
We got a headbutt instead of a kiss, I'm fine with that xD.
Mar 23, 4:14 PM
Feb 2024
Best Ending. Best Ending.
Mar 23, 4:23 PM
Oct 2022
I consider everything surrounding Lakan a retcon as far as the anime goes. They set him up as this massive, evil dude, spinning yard about how evil and sneaky he is, and now it turns out he's some simp that got tricked by a classy prostitute.
Mar 23, 4:24 PM
Mar 2015
i am glad that her father bought out her mother It should have happened a long time ago. Glad that she danced for her mother Getting a princess carry was a bonus She almost lost it with Jinshi but that it is another story
Mar 23, 4:26 PM
Dec 2023
I love it........
Mar 23, 4:28 PM
Mar 2019
So, just to clarify...did Lakan buy out TWO or just one? Thanks to anyone who answers. :)
Mar 23, 4:29 PM
Jul 2021
Decent show but way overhyped by the source reader fanclub. I gave it a 7.
Mar 23, 4:37 PM

Jan 2010
great anime 9/10. Looking foward to the second season.
Mar 23, 4:54 PM

Mar 2020
Final episode!! ❤️

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto have been really amazing along with Sousou no Frieren for 6 months.❤️🔥

Seriously these two are one of the best new TV anime that aired recently. Characters, plot & animation. 💯

Also 2nd season announced!!!!! 🔥🔥

Maomao's story has just begun. ❤️

1st season's plot was really intriguing. There's a lot of mystery that needs to unfold. I'm looking forward for 2025. ❤️🔥
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Mar 23, 5:11 PM

Sep 2009
Such a fantastic season one. Wasn't sure what to expect when I started watching but this was my anime for the season and so happy to see that there will be a season two. In the mean time, I think I will go and read the manga for this!
Mar 23, 5:13 PM
Mar 2022
metatron13 said:
So, just to clarify...did Lakan buy out TWO or just one? Thanks to anyone who answers. :)

Only one, Maomao's mom
Mar 23, 5:16 PM
Mar 2019
Reply to SillyPseudo
metatron13 said:

Only one, Maomao's mom
@SillyPseudo Thank you. :)
Mar 23, 5:19 PM
May 2019
Can"t wait for second season!
Mar 23, 5:22 PM
Mar 2022
perseii said:
Zefyris said:
So yes, they're extremely mad at him and are "protecting" her from him.

OK, I thought so. Other than that brief scene with the old lady and the broom, it wasn't clear to me what the brothel's stance was and how Lakan was understanding the situation.

It's hard to believe that a "master strategist" like Lakan couldn't find out what happened to Fengxian, whom he loved very much (supposedly). If she died, he could've investigated how it happened and where she was buried. If she was sold off, he could've asked around the town for witnesses and rumors, and maybe even get a peek at the ledger to see who bought her (I assume these kinds of things are written down). We don't know if he even tried very hard. Maybe he tried and failed, the brothel being extremely secretive and cut off from the outside world.

Zefyris said:
A child born from a courtesan in a brothel belongs to the brothel.

Thanks, I forgot about this aspect. Now that Maomao is a "free woman" after Jinshi bought her out, Lakan could ask her to live with him, I guess.

But I don't think we ever learned that Lakan was planning to "buy" Maomao, or if his offer was rejected by the old lady. Was this ever mentioned?

Everything you said makes a lot of sense, but it hinges on a lot of very small details that were mentioned in passing, or it feels like speculation and deduction. Or is a lot of this explained in the source material?

I'm the LN Lakan tries to buy Maomao from the beginning, the old hag makes him repay twice the damages of the brothel on reputation and loses for over 10 years before even letting him in, and Meimei would receive him. At this point in the story she is actually considering selling Maomao to him if he brings enough money, but Maomao always refuses.
Mar 23, 5:27 PM
Oct 2021
Maomao dance was so beautiful and so graceful. I'm so glad we getting a second season The Apothecary Diaries has been one of my favorite along side Frieren
Mar 23, 5:42 PM
Sep 2015
LOVED IT ! Beautifuly animated. #JINMAO NATION
Mar 23, 5:53 PM

Apr 2022
i would say i'm gonna miss this show, but by the grace of the gods, the second season is already announced! very excited to see more of maomao animated. i think i enjoyed this show slightly more than frieren even. only wish this had a little better animation sometimes but it was still pretty good visually and the soundtrack was really great. opening 1 is still one of my favourite openings of all time as well.
maomao and jinshi's dynamic is jokes but interesting. her dancing with the song was so well adapted. in ways i think this adaptation is better than the manga but in other ways the manga is better. 8/10 for me which is the same score i gave the manga, you can't go wrong with either.
we will be back in 2025 hell yeah.
Mar 23, 6:10 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
What a great finale for season 1. It was so much fun watching this show every week. Unfortunately the show is over now, but it’ll continue since we got confirmation of a second season almost immediately and you can bet I’ll be there watching that as well. A fantastic show, and even though I didn’t consider it a masterpiece like Frieren, it definitely gets a 9/10 for me. Looking forward to the sequel and more of what is in store for Maomao and the other characters.
Mar 23, 6:18 PM
Apr 2021
We got best ending for the episode after they give sad flashback 😭 , im really love this happy ending , cant wait S2 (hope so) , i wanna se jinshi propose maomao 🥰
Mar 23, 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to removed-user
even though I already knew the ending because of spoilers I didn't actually expect him to not now she was still alive. I thought he was simply not allowed to see her just like his daughter but he must have thought she was dead the whole time.

She probably would have had a way better life if they actually told him she was alive. Seems a bit of a plot hole
@FoodstampDayo yes, but look from granny's perspective. You have a good business, you're pimping your daughter, she brings good cash, now she's pregnant and lost value, you sell your daughter to random steanger, she gets syphylis, and the guy who ruined your merchandise returns.
Grandma is mad at him, he ruined her business and most precious asset.
What else she suppose to do. So she kicks him away, gives some comfort to sick/dying asset/daughter (still her blood) and plans to make her daughter's daughter a whore to bring some cash.
Maybe expecting to bring back the cashflow like her daughter/maomao mother did. Like an asset replacement.

Seriously. This "granny" is one of the worst/evil/deranged character in any media.
She ordered her daughter to sleep with randoms when it was known at time risk of syphylis etc. is high and it won't even bring significant cash. At that period, street workers are known to have limited time before they succumb and die. Average lifespan if they fail to get out of that business is 4-5 years or so. Many wouldn't even pass 20-th birthday. Low-ranking prostitutes all suffered from venereal diseases. Whoring for public/randoms was one of the worst thing could happen. Mostly they were peasants daughters sent to cover debts etc. many of them just ended up in some ditch eaten by the rats.
So pretty much granny put a death sentence on her daughter as punishment and acting mad when things happens as expected.

Maybe death is more accepted in that timeline, and this kind of business treated with more "pride", but damn... If you want to blame someone for the entire situation, blame granny. She was the abusive mother who punished her daughter by sending her in the streets which pretty much equal to death sentence. And she was hoping to whore her syphylis ridden daughter's daughter too.
removed-userMar 23, 6:59 PM
Mar 23, 6:33 PM

Jul 2012
Really like the adaptation, but still believe manga is better. Came across randomly, but it was such a good read, was thinking what if it'll get adaptation.
Still was concerned that it just won't fit the animation, but it really wasn't the case. In the middle part the comedy was too exaggerated and some weird artstyle, don't know if it's only me.
Always loved Maomao's adventures and happy that continuation is confirmed. 8/10 overall, can't wait for the scene with
Mar 23, 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
Gosh, it was a great journey until now, Maomao is the smart and cutest (on her way) I know. All the mistery around Maomao's father and mother was so intense, I'm pretty sure that everything will be okay in the 2nd season. Also, her dancing was so magestical; and that moment with Jinshi at the end... damn, I wasn't prepared for it, but it's obvious that Maomao was trolling us.

Guys, I appreciate all the discussions and the lovely time we spent watching this anime, let's wait until 2025 for the 2nd season. xoxo ;)
Mar 23, 6:50 PM
Mar 2023
hermosooooooooooo
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

209 by wumuti »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

118 by wumuti »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

163 by wumuti »»
6 hours ago

» Fun fact about Maomao

Fukoku - Oct 22, 2023

10 by tinshard »»
May 25, 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.