Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 4, 12:47 AM

Aug 2022
good sol episode.but the preview killed me. that old guy really pisses me off.
Feb 4, 1:36 AM
Sep 2021
OK it's an undercover mission maomao looks beautiful in her new appearance, the story is picking up even more from these types of mission, excited to know what it is all about.
Feb 4, 1:50 AM

Mar 2011
I'm not gonna lie but I laughed hard when Maomao observed Jinshi very intensely from up close :D. I really enjoyed the make-over scene and I feel like it was a moment Maomao could shine without pushing it too hard and I like and appreciate this. Overall this episode was very enjoyable after some more boring and plain ones that didn't really contribute to the story that well in my opinion.

It was actually obvious that this would be the way to decrease the value of a courtesan. So I guess Lakan was talking about Maomao's mother? And next episode we will get more backstory on that? I really like this (excep for I still don't like Lakan even if he turns out to be Maomao's father which I'm not sure yet but it looks like it).

I mean... it's not that surprising that Maomao's adoptive father worked at the palace before. I just didn't think he would have been an enuch. That's interesting...

Also it was nice to see Maomao's Jinshi's interactions... Except for when Jinshi was pouting because Maomao didn't say anything? Just grow up, boy!
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Feb 4, 3:15 AM
Feb 2022
The anime continues with, what will happen from now on
Feb 4, 4:43 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to Dayan
Nachtwandler_21 said:
@Embient also, in this setting "ka" is used by the royal family...

given this fact, maybe Jinka is his actual name, I'm guessing.
@Dayan in fact not.

Feb 4, 4:49 AM

Dec 2007
Nachtwandler_21 said:
@Dayan in fact not.

well, it was a nice theory while it lasted ... still it's an interesting choice for home to make, maybe he secretly wants Maomao to figure it out.
Feb 4, 5:50 AM
Apr 2021
Drimson said:
@Alex_the_reaper

thks 🤌🤌🤌
Feb 4, 6:44 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to Alex_the_reaper
Drimson said:
@Alex_the_reaper

thks 🤌🤌🤌
@Alex_the_reaper Also
Feb 4, 7:01 AM
Sep 2016
OLM is an astounding studio indeed. "Kusuriya no Hitorigoto" boasts amazing animation quality so far. And whilst not really a big title, their 2nd anime, "Pon no Michi", also didn't have any animation flaw yet so far....
Yet, THEY STILL SUCCUMBS TO BAD HORSES CGI!!!!! wwwwwww
Holy sh*t, Shirobako didn't lie, japanese animators HATED drawing and animating horses!!!! wwwwww
FEAR THE MIGHTY BAD HORSES CGI ALL YE MORTALS!!!!!

Next EP preview:
- titled "Lakan"
- preview shows Maomao's pinky
- The 2nd cour OP shows Lakan being shocked from remembering smth (abt a certain lady)

We are getting closer and closer to the meat of Lakan's story.... Is next EP going to be THE one?
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Feb 4, 8:51 AM
Jan 2024
It was overall one of the best episodes
Feb 4, 10:55 AM
Dec 2023
Loved seeing Jinshi ugly, and the ending is suspenseful. What's gonna happen next?
Feb 4, 12:20 PM

May 2018
Jinshi can look beauty in both genders.

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Feb 4, 12:36 PM
Jul 2017
lol so predictable. the general had his way with the courtesan and that is how mao mao is likely born 0/10 writing
Feb 4, 2:08 PM

May 2018
Maomao is so cute <3
Feb 4, 4:37 PM
Mar 2019
Prelude to something happening after 2 quiet episodes.
Feb 4, 9:57 PM

Nov 2019
I think Maomao is misunderstanding things...
she looks at Jinshi as if he were garbage at the end of the episode...
Feb 4, 10:48 PM

Jul 2017
Jinshi wanting Maomao to put on makeup for him, it's for disguise, as much as Maomao's freckles are of concern. And true as intended, he wants her to make him up like a commoner, but his makeup is now equal to that of a low-ranking official, something which is out of bounds to someone familiar of the janky courtesan streets. And with Gaoshun's clothes, Jinshi is transformed into a commoner...but not yet, the facial features are a must as well...which Maomao tries to tease Jinshi by putting lipstick on his lips, but that made him look too much of a maiden. And the last step, a mix of potent irritants to swell his voice. As much as Maomao is returning hime, Jinshi's location is also on the way, and that frightens her, and karma hits her back from both Gaoshun and Suiren.

By appearances alone, Maomao looks like the courtesan mistress, and Jinshi...erm, Jinka, is the commoner attendant. He's sure having too much fun being Maomao's lackey in the pleasure district, with Basen as bodyguard. The chicken skewers were so nice that for once, Jinshi really embraced his inner commoner stance, something which is considered a luxury for him. And the truth about Maomao's father being a eunuch is finally revealed to Jinshi, as an apothecary who studied abroad, and was confined to the Emperor Dowager. But Jinshi's question of degrading the courtesan's value: becoming high-class courtesans to offer their bodies; or be taught in value of purity, to the point of pregnancy.

Such fundamental values are sacred and not to be broken, that is, until something rears off its head, like Lakan.
Feb 5, 3:17 AM
Oct 2019
Jinshi as a woman, looks a lot like Ah-Duo, I'm just saying...

oh boy with all the hint, i really hope that mf Lakan isn't Maomao real father...

That preview, it's gonna be spicy next episode!!
Feb 5, 6:26 AM

May 2015
How to make up with Mao Mao !
Feb 5, 7:23 AM
Jan 2023
I just wish more would happen between Jinshi and Maomao -3-
Feb 5, 8:15 AM

Oct 2017
Maomao looked so pretty, can't have enough of her. Jinshi with the lipstick though, damn. He kinda looks funny with the disguise. Glad to have more Jinshi and Maomao. Also as I thought it's pregnancy after all.
Feb 5, 9:25 AM

Dec 2022
well well just binge watched all 17 episodes and gotta say deserves the all the fuss
i personally really enjoyed this
gotta say i knew what decreases the value of a courtesan and i was spot on
also woman jinshi is way too much he might even make the king gay
Feb 5, 9:37 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Cute episode again, good conversation between the two main ppl.

Hyped for the next episode :)
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Feb 5, 9:41 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to KyouKaiTen
I still dont understand why Jinshi need to dress as a commoner to visit that restaurant. Dont they also say the pleasure district will kick you out if you smell bad too.
@KyouKaiTen she spoke of Verdigris House specifically, not necessarily all the pleasure district. And he had to dress like a poor commoner so courtesans wouldn't be glued to him.
Feb 5, 1:39 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The great secret was revelated!
purity or pregnant, those issues are what devalue the "courtesans"!
kekeke
Feb 5, 2:23 PM

Jul 2013
Finally all caught up!!

I'm seriously kicking myself for having almost missed out on this gem - I remember thinking "meh, sounds mid" last summer when looking at upcoming anime, and a couple weeks ago I looked again and felt the same + the mixed reviews put me off. By pure chance ep 16 happened to be the latest upload when I went to go catch up on Frieren, and I was bored enough to think "fuck it, let's give episode 1 a try".

The pacing is incredible, the art is outstanding, Maomao is SO refreshing as female lead, I could go on... Quality-wise this is on par with Frieren to me.

I'm just praying we get a second season. ;_;

Oh-- as for the episode itself. Well I'm embarrassed to say I did squeel a little at the role-reversal lol. Jinshi is down bad and so am I (for both of them)
Feb 5, 6:48 PM

Dec 2020
This episode and the last one were a bit boring, but the preview of next episode makes it seem like we will get a lot of drama and story progress again. Can't wait for it 😁
Feb 6, 2:30 AM

Jul 2023
猫猫 had to 'uglify' Jishin. He had to meet someone in cognito outside the pleasure district.

As Maōmaō describes how to destroy a top courtesan's value, we get a hint on how Lakan, who is the subject of the next episode and is probably the villain, might have dealt with her mother.

This is just a transition episode. Okay, but sets up the next episode.
patkarununganFeb 6, 2:34 AM
Feb 6, 7:46 AM
Aug 2014
Reply to Cassindra
Kind of wish the show would look more into the relationship between Maomao and her father. To me, it just acts as a plot point right now rather than any actual parental relationship. I get that they might not have the closest of relationships, with Maomao being pretty independent, but Jinshi thinking Maomao didn't want to spend time with him when she clearly wanted to visit her father and help take care of him was a bit infuriating.
@Cassindra Adopted. I'm sure this is a major plot point and can't be reveled right now.
Feb 6, 7:54 AM
Aug 2014
Reply to KyouKaiTen
I still dont understand why Jinshi need to dress as a commoner to visit that restaurant. Dont they also say the pleasure district will kick you out if you smell bad too.
@KyouKaiTen I think there's more to it than just going to a pleasure place. After all, he went to buy out maomao without hiding himself.
Gasaraki-Feb 6, 8:04 AM
Feb 6, 8:38 AM
Sep 2022
Very weak episode. Feels very much like padding at the moment - the whole thing about how to reduce a courtesan's value is pretty much common sense. It was also strange how Maomao avoided the details of her father's past work in the Inner Palace. Feels like this episode could have been compressed into the first half of a more interesting one.
Feb 6, 12:35 PM
Sep 2021
Reply to welcome2atlantis
I think Maomao is misunderstanding things...
she looks at Jinshi as if he were garbage at the end of the episode...
@welcome2atlantis She thinks he went to that inn for company with women
Feb 6, 12:38 PM
Sep 2021
Reply to silent_lurker
lol so predictable. the general had his way with the courtesan and that is how mao mao is likely born 0/10 writing
@silent_lurker Now now, don't go jumping the gun. You may think differently after everything is over
Feb 6, 12:41 PM
Sep 2021
Reply to PurpleMagic
Whoa is MaoMao going to find the truth of her mom!
@PurpleMagic She knows, for a very long time. Everything the reader/watcher finds out, she already knew. She just doesn't want to think about it, or bother with it
Feb 7, 6:09 PM

Jul 2016
Was Xiaomao's father not being her biological one already mentioned before this episode? Because I seriously can't remember the specific moment when that info was revealed.
And wait. Based on Xiaomao's explanation, shouldn't sex-addict Pairin be considered a low-class courtesan then?

Overall, a 3/5 episode for me. Only 4-5 minutes of its runtime ended up being relevant but I guess it was refreshing to see both MCs in a different setting after so many boring cases.

And oh boy, Jinshi looks like he's about to strangle Lakan next episode.
Feb 8, 1:38 AM
Feb 2015
Another makeup transformation episode, I'm weak to this kind of episode. Oh my Maomao is absolutely babe, she's adorable. Jinshi is still ikemen in that disguise, I'm impressed. Today they go out together and dress as opposite. Maomao phrases that if Jinshi put on makeup he can topple the nation lmao. As i guess the way to decrease a prostitute is chastity.

Feb 8, 5:54 PM
Oct 2021
I'm scared, I hope my thoughts are wrong.
Feb 8, 6:17 PM

Aug 2022
I take it back: Ibara was definitely a piece of work, but after hearing Maomao explain how one would go about ruining a courtesan, I felt even more disgusted by the guy. I mean, I was imagining ruining her beauty through something like giving her nasty burns or scars, which are still horrible things...but it turned out to be something even worse than that.

I'm just shocked that, with all the intuitive talent Maomao is blessed with, she hasn't yet figured out that Jinshi can't be an eunuch, after all the hints he's already given her. And what exactly does she think he could do at a brothel if he were a eunuch anyway?
Feb 8, 10:46 PM

Jun 2023
Aiihhh the ending tho ㅜㅜ
Feb 9, 12:19 AM

Mar 2020
Very interesting
Feb 9, 7:02 AM

Nov 2013
Maomao having fun making Jinshi look bad lol lots of work since, even with all the bad make up, he still looks better than most other man
Maomao looked super cute with her own makeup too, she never fails to make me call her cute lmao

wait, is Jinshi going to meet with her adoptive father or did i understand wrong? wtf

serious talk at the end, i wonder if he asked her because the other guy told him about her mother, or if it's for a different reason, i wouldn't suppose that Jinshi wants to lower Maomao's value or something, i mean, he could probably buy her for full price without any troubles if it came to that lol
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Feb 10, 1:17 PM
Oct 2015
I enjoy watching it.
Feb 10, 7:25 PM
Mar 2019
Street smart Maomao in the house. I find it amusing that she gives lessons on how the world really works to Jinshin.
Feb 12, 5:11 PM

Feb 2019
Maomao looked so pretty in that getup!
Feb 17, 6:16 PM

Jun 2014
This episode went by far too quickly.

Hopefully, the next episode will be better.

Feb 19, 10:50 AM

Jan 2022
Jinshi's question was a little unsettling. I guess that confirms that Lakan is Maomao's father and he caused her mother to lose her value. What a disgusting man. So why did Jinshi have to change his appearance?
This never updates so that's cool
Feb 23, 12:54 AM

Dec 2014
This is just a Death Note about people who lived in the ancient Chinese regime.
Is there anybody out there?
Feb 24, 3:57 AM

Oct 2019
A very entertaining episode with an unexpectedly dark ending..
Feb 24, 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
I swear the studio did such a good job. Sure they already had amazing material to work with but the voice acting (of course they take the one that voice Victorique (gossick), who also happens to be a detective kind of main character who's voice perfectly fits mao's sarcastic personality, its the perfect fit, I don't think anyone else could have come close)) and the animation/ facial expressions are just so good. Every episode is so great

Also, damn he looks like his mom with make up x) The servants goin along with mao's shenigans cause they probably curious as well is great 2 lol. Ik the year just started but this is easily AOTY for me. If it wasnt for freiren it probably had no competition left in 2024 lol.

Also people pls, keep LN stuff out of here.
removed-userFeb 24, 10:49 AM
Mar 3, 2:28 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
To be honest Jinshi doesn't even look bad with the special makeup, though Maomao is great with this outfit
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

209 by wumuti »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

118 by wumuti »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

163 by wumuti »»
8 hours ago

» Fun fact about Maomao

Fukoku - Oct 22, 2023

10 by tinshard »»
May 25, 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.