Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 28, 7:03 AM

Jan 2017
Excellent deduction on Maomao's part. But I'm really curious about that Lakan guy, he seems knowing about a lot of secrets. Also I was wondering why Basen looks familiar; it's because he looks like Gao Shun lol! Must be his brother or something~
Jan 28, 7:46 AM
Nov 2023
I love gaoshun's ?son? or brother? in this ep hehehhee
Jan 28, 12:24 PM
Jul 2017
trash mystery and solution. i saw it coming from a mile away as soon as i heard of bowl lol

also how to reduce value of a courtesan, they keep hinting it's def having his way with her or something
Jan 28, 1:15 PM
Feb 2021
I'm quite a fan of the series but this episode was just ordinary with the plot too predictable to fully appreciate
Maomaos astute :// Hope for better next week
Jan 28, 1:22 PM
Oct 2010
Fun episode even if the mystery itself was silly.

Putting aside the idea of a deathly-ill artisan putting this thing together rather than writing an actual will (I mean the solution wasn't even a clear answer, just another puzzle that the two oldest immediately threw their hands up over presumably because he knew the youngest was the best smith or something), if she hadn't come at the right season for the light to pass through the window at the right angle, without obstruction from spring-grown leaves or the trunk of the tree, and at just the right time of day (admittedly the hint of having tea was there for the family itself), everything would have fallen apart.
Jan 28, 1:37 PM
Dec 2023
Nothing much happened
Jan 28, 5:43 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to ChallengerUPC
Is any one else finding this half of the season kind of boring compared to the first half? I miss the other characters. The other setting had more going on and was far more interesting
@ChallengerUPC Yes, I also miss the other part of the palace with Xiaolan and the various courtesans and their ladies in waiting . There aren't many supporting characters that I'm interested in now that Maomao has relocated to Jinshi's quarters. The series seems even more episodic than the first 12 episodes. I'm not sure I'm going to stick with the show if it turns into Maomao She Wrote.
Also, without the amazing Ryokuoushoku Shakai OP this show just doesn't feel the same. That was the main thing that kept me coming back in the first quarter.
Jan 28, 6:28 PM
Mar 2019
Easy investigation today, felt a bit too quick.
Jan 28, 7:45 PM
Aug 2021
Solid episode. I'm excited to learn more about the courtesan's story though. It feels like that will tie in to Maomao's origin somehow. We don't know much about our girl's family yet, other than her "dad".
Jan 28, 10:40 PM
Oct 2019
Another Day, another case for Maomao.

I just realized Lakan got the same eye color as Maomao, ain't no way right? Right?

Omg the Preview.
Fat Jinshi LMAO
Jan 29, 1:23 AM

May 2015
It's funny but I found this episode had a little bit Fairy Tale (I said TALE)-vibe, with the heritage for the three brothers, the hidden treasure, and the sun as a key.
Jan 29, 1:24 AM

Mar 2008
Interesting little puzzle

Maomao does seem to know lead is toxic but I do wonder if she is aware of all the different ways it is toxic. If she knew fumes should have suggested being careful not to breathe them in.
Jan 29, 2:20 AM
Mar 2019
Maomao at her finest ones again. I really like the cerebral nature of this anime. it requires my full attention otherwise I'll miss something.
Jan 29, 2:47 AM
Apr 2010
This anime is so goddamn slow... How much of the manga are they gonna cover in the 2nd half anyway?
Jan 29, 9:24 AM

Jan 2024
Oho, will Jinshi get the make-up and the womens clothes now? I want to see that tranformation! :D
Jan 29, 1:56 PM
Sep 2016
amazing cant wait for the next one
Jan 29, 5:23 PM
Mar 2019
This is detective episodie, a classical story about brothers with inheritance problems and there are personality conflicts that need to be resolved.
Jan 29, 5:45 PM
May 2018
Really just feels like a filler episode. I'm kind of disappointed with the recent episodes, wish they'd dive more back into the apothecary side of things.
Jan 30, 7:57 AM
Feb 2015
The lead investigation was interesting that the three materials may mean that only by mixing it the technique can be perfected and only the youngest noticing it can be the artisan. Why Jinshi want makeup, is it for making him ugly too?
Jan 31, 6:37 AM
Jan 2018
Reply to Berry101
This anime is so goddamn slow... How much of the manga are they gonna cover in the 2nd half anyway?
@Berry101 first half was one volume , so probably just till the end of Vol 2 of the LN
Jan 31, 5:05 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Another great episode. This episode definitely gave off detective vibes which was definitely unique. Excited to see this weeks episode 😛
Jan 31, 5:48 PM

Jul 2016
*Jinshi asks Xiaomao to put makeup on him*
Me: Oh? Finally crossdresser Jinshi? They sure were taking their time for this moment.
*preview shows up*
Me: Oh... it's just Jinshi but fat. Meh.

Probably the worst case the show has presented so far. Not only was it boring asf, its execution let little-to-no room for the viewer to participate and the conclusion ended up being incredibly lazy as well. Again, just another excuse to show how intelligent and well-versed in pretty much everything Xiaomao is.
Also little brother is 100% gonna die from lead poisoning just like his father. After all, he apparently never made the connection and Xiaomao decided to be cryptic instead of straight up telling him about the metal's high noxiousness.
Jan 31, 9:22 PM

Jul 2023
An okay episode. The father was clever.

Still, what is that Lakan trying to do?
Feb 2, 9:58 AM
Jul 2021
Apologies if someone has already mentioned this but with Lakan’s story about the courtesan, could it be to get her pregnant? It seems like the courtesan was most likely Maomao’s mom, could he have somehow orchestrated that?
Feb 5, 7:49 AM

Oct 2017
The case was simple again with a bit of complexity, was nice to see the conclusion that the brothers are getting along. Interested to see how Lakan will be involved in future events and what he did to lower the value of the courtesan. Got her pregnant or something? Idk. Anyway what's Jinshi gonna do with makeup?
Feb 5, 10:29 AM

Sep 2014
The riddle this time around was pretty easy. Curiously elaborate for the dad to set up though.

This was the first episode which felt a little boring..

Maybe I just miss the interactions with all the girls from the rear palace. This new setting just lacks the energy.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 5, 1:28 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Amazing Maomao, great a cool work with the enigma and the 3 brothers!!!
kekeke
Feb 6, 7:41 AM
Aug 2014
Weird that she would suspect lead poisoning but didn't tell the son that working with lead is dangerous and instead just telling him to see a doctor once he gets sick.
Feb 6, 9:24 AM
Aug 2014
Overall a pretty good episode. I thought the puzzle was kinda dumb cause I saw it instantly when the stand had an outline on it showing something was there before.
Feb 8, 5:31 PM

Aug 2022
This Lakan guy gives me Ibara vibes.
, makes me think something along those lines will eventually happen in this show too. And by the way, why do all these kinds of characters look like Aladdin's Jafar? 🤣
Feb 10, 5:26 PM

Jun 2014
Mysteries and puzzles are easy for Maomao.

The preview for the next episode is interesting.

Feb 19, 10:23 AM

Jan 2022
I miss Maomao being in the rear palace :( the 2nd cour hasn't been as interesting. Lakan is annoying af with his secrecy and ulterior motives. Excited to see Jin in makeup >:)
This never updates so that's cool
Feb 24, 12:02 AM

Oct 2019
Yet another very exciting episode! Allow me to geek out a bit:

The eutectic alloy of tin and lead -with 63% and 37% respectively- has a melting point of 183 °C (361 °F), so it could melt via focused sunlight, but probably not as fast as we were shown.

However the triple eutectic alloy of tin (16%), lead (32%) and bismuth (52%) melts at a mere 95 °C, below even the boiling point of water. That could indeed melt as fast as we were shown with concentrated sunlight. In other words bismuth was the third metal in that drawer Maomao did not recognize.

On another note.. did Lakan lower the value of Maomao by having her kidnapped and sold to the palace? Was that his 'devaluation method'?
SharpedonFeb 24, 12:09 AM
Feb 27, 3:34 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh I really like this kind of enigma with the sun and the different keys, feels like a Layton game ahaha though they could have just forced the drawers locks at some point
Mar 3, 11:41 PM

Oct 2013
Holy moly, so Maomao is also good in metalurgy?! She has been educated really well on various fields, not only on medicine, herbs and poisons. Her father really succeeded in raising a diligent and smart daughter.

What a cute story with a nice and realistic happy ending. All brothers managed to reunite and be together, living in peace and co-operating once more.

Jinshi is a lil' bit oversensitive, I feel. Lakan might be a weird asshole, but it wasn't mischievous to admire grand craftsmanship of an item used in religious rituals.

Speakin about Jinshi, I wonder why he wants Maomao to put some make-up on his face.
AdnashMar 4, 12:00 AM
Mar 7, 4:47 AM
Oct 2018
Very clever. The father was the trickster mentor type, he taught his kids one final lesson after he was already dead.
Mar 15, 11:32 AM
Jul 2022
How in the blazes does she figure this shiz out.
Mar 30, 12:27 AM

Jun 2020
A pretty easy mystery this time around because even I was able to figure out the solution b4 Maomao did. I liked Maomao realizing that Basen reminded her of Gaoshun, I was curious last episode when she said he looked familiar. Too bad she actually respects Gaoshun a lot more lol

Apr 9, 8:48 PM

Jul 2013
This is straight up a detective conan episode lol
May 19, 1:16 PM
Jul 2020
sherlock holmes who?
Today, 12:10 AM

Jun 2009
Thank god this guy died during the perfect time of the year. And they visited during the perfect time of day. And the weather was perfect. Yeah, this episode was pretty stupid on top of being (again) pretty boring.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Does this ever get good?

El_Jiro - 2 hours ago

24 by FFZackFair »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

205 by LotteGiants »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Nov 4, 2023

158 by Anshika_Sh »»
Jun 10, 10:36 AM

» What year does apothecary diary takes place?

hercules28 - Apr 12

5 by bryanyuchen »»
Jun 9, 10:38 AM

» Fun fact about Maomao

Fukoku - Oct 22, 2023

11 by bryanyuchen »»
Jun 9, 10:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.