Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 13, 2023 2:13 PM

Dec 2019
March Comes In Like a Lion, Mushishi, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Yuru Camp. SoL at their peak.
Nov 13, 2023 2:18 PM

Jun 2022
Ginga no Ursa Minor Blue, Golgo 13 (2008), Warau Salesman, Grey: Digital Target, Area 88, Dallos and A Wind Named Amnesia all come to my mind.
Nov 13, 2023 4:49 PM

Feb 2021
Does Nichijou count as mainstream? If not then that's my answer.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Nov 13, 2023 4:54 PM

Sep 2008
about 70% anime I've seen is as good or better than mainstream ones.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Nov 13, 2023 4:55 PM

Sep 2019
I'm not sure if this might count but i'd choose Shinsekai Yori and Kanata no Astra
Nov 13, 2023 5:22 PM

Dec 2019
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (second season specifically) is imo very close to being the perfect anime. Incredible Sci-Fi world-building, amazing cast, amazing detective/mystery storylines I could go on. It also has one of the very few instances where I prefer the dub.
Nov 13, 2023 5:59 PM

Nov 2020
Reply to removed-user
I don't know if I should name Pluto, because I think it's right now popular on Netflix.
But I name a more unknown work by the same author of Vinland Saga:
Planetes really, really needs much more love.

Planetes

Also I love:
- the different Black Jack series
- Dororo
- Metropolis
- 91 Days
- Undead Girl Murder Farce
- Moriarty
- Last Exile
- Bokurano
- Casshern Sins
- Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
- Fujiko Mine
- Michiko & Hatchin
- Samurai Champloo
- Mushishi
- Natsume Yuujinchou
- Heike Monogatari
- The Twelve Kingdoms
- Guardian of the Spirit
- Golden Kamuy
- Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
- Somali and the Forest Spirit
@Risa92 fr. planetes has excellent animation for something that doesn’t get as much attention
Nov 13, 2023 7:45 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I don't really know how I would define mainstream, but I rarely see Kill me Baby talked about outside of specific circles, so I'll go with that one.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Nov 13, 2023 7:55 PM
May 2021
My favorite anime of all time is The Grisaia Series. Based off the VN (visual novel) which is very popular, season 1 Grisaia no Kajitsu (The Fruit of Grisaia), OVA Grisaia no Meikyuu (The Labyrinth of Grisaia), and season 2 Grisaia no Rakuen (The Eden of Grisaia). There are little specials for each one as well. Everything about this anime is praiseworthy. The MC (main character/protagonist), Kazami Yuuji, has a dark past, darker than any other anime character you've ever seen, and is now trying out a normal student life at this special high school academy that consists of these five other girls who too possess dark pasts. Season 1 is basically Yuuji saving each of the five girls' from their dark pasts, the OVA opens up about Yuuji's past, season 2 continues with Yuuji's past to present day and now it's the girls turn to save Yuuji now. Plot is amazing, not rushed or drawn out, just perfect. The music is just out of this world. The OST is so unique and distinct, certain pieces just hit the feels like Yumiko's theme. Yuuji himself as the MC is definitely not your typical ordinary MC. He puts 99% of the other MCs to shame. Yuuji delivers to the audience what they want and you absolutely cannot call Yuuji a simp, wimp, or any other derogatory term. He is a straight up badass, alpha, sigma, OP (without powers), savage, thot-slayer, non-dense/oblivious, and all the other amazing traits out there. This anime definitely is not mainstream. It was released back in Fall 2014 to Spring 2015 and it is very underrated. I personally don't know anyone who has watched it or even heard of it.
Nov 14, 2023 3:34 AM

Jan 2022
If Violet Evergarden is mainstream, then A Place Further than the Universe

If that's mainstream, then Tsurune S2
Nov 14, 2023 4:18 AM
Nov 2016
D Gray Man ofc cuz u can enjoy it always if u wanna watch it, me watching it every year Only Love :))
Nov 14, 2023 6:51 AM

Nov 2012
Houseki no Kuni and Katanagatari are good damn shows.

My Candies:

Nov 15, 2023 7:42 PM

Aug 2022
Reply to Ispectatort
Legend of The Galactic Heroes. I cannot stress enough how not-mainstream it is or how epic this anime is. There is no better anime series out there. Not a lot of people know about it though. So it stands on cca. 12 spot on the best anime list.
I agree!

The fact that this post was first one on this thread thus far to mention LOGH speaks volumes to the series' reputation as "the best anime few people watched."
Nov 15, 2023 8:40 PM
Jan 2022
Odd Taxi has got to be one of my favorites thats not mainstream.

If even Odd Taxi is a bit too mainstream for you I also really liked Children of the Whales and Heavenly Delusion.
Nov 15, 2023 9:03 PM
Jan 2020
Reply to TitanOfPlasma
If you grew up with video games from the 90s, High Score Girl is that anime. You'll discover that attention to the details is one of its strongest points, just like Bocchi the Rock!, but without being neither as popular nor highly rated.

Besides, you'll be rewarded with a light-hearted and warming romance story and with a fun and clever comedy along the way, even if you weren't a 90s teen like me.
@TitanOfPlasma I didn't grow up with video games from the 90s but really enjoyed watching High school girl, it was so damn fun to watch it. Idk, it felt like the author knew what he was doing... It felt realistic, natural and kind of relaxing with a great lead. It was a pleasant surprise to find this anime. Also the cgi(?) animation just went hand in hand with the story.

These kind of surprises are what makes watching anime or any other entertainment stuff so damn fun and exciting!
Nov 15, 2023 9:07 PM
Jan 2020
Pompo:the cinephile movie
Mutafukaz movie
Goodbye, don glees! Movie
Jin-rou movie
Director satoshi kon all movies

Bocchi the rock
High school girl
Katanagatari

Many others are there... Just can't seem to recall their names...
Nov 15, 2023 9:20 PM
May 2012
Reply to Spunkert
Kemono no Souja Erin is very unknown to most people outside Japan.
@Spunkert agree, Kemono no Souja Erin is the only anime that I remember I felt that the popularity and the ranking is crazy off.
Nov 15, 2023 11:41 PM

Jun 2014
Depends on where you draw the line for "mainstream," but one masterpiece that definitely can't be considered mainstream is Princess Tutu.

I know it sounds lame af, but it's actually genius
Nov 16, 2023 12:03 AM

Oct 2021
Reply to nishant0
Mushishi is pretty good.

Frieren which is currently airing is better than jjk, aot and most of the mainstream anime like these.
nishant0 said:
Frieren which is currently airing is better than jjk, aot and most of the mainstream anime like these.

In my opinion, you can count Frieren as a mainstream series, because it´s by far the most popular show, which has started airing this season. It´s still great nonetheless.

By greatest anime that's not mainstream, I would say: K-ON, Nana, Initial D, Wangan Midnight, Bocchi The Rock, Yu Yu Hakusho, (Hunter x Hunter, idk if I should count it as a mainstream series), The Vision of Escaflowne, Trigun, GTO, Outlaw Star and LinkClick.

I´m currently watching Ruruoni Kenshin (1996) and The Apothecary Diaries and I would add them to the list as well, but I haven´t finished them, so I´ll propably add them later.

Nov 16, 2023 12:20 AM

Mar 2022
Reply to epidemia78
12 Kingdoms for fantasy adventure

Dennou Coil for sci-fi

Kamichu for SOL

these three shows are immaculate works of art and really go to show that anime isn't always just disposable junk media meant to be watched on a phone
@epidemia78
epidemia78 said:
12 Kingdoms

I was going to watch this but i heard it has an abrupt end in the middle of an arc, really makes me hesitate.
Nov 16, 2023 12:23 AM

Mar 2022
Reply to TRC_Randy
nishant0 said:
It’s a unique take on fantasy anime,
well nothing we haven't seen before.

nishant0 said:
good soundtrack
good sountrack?
@TRC_Randy
TRC_Randy said:
good sountrack?

I've only watched 2 episodes yet but the soundtrack is indeed amazing and stands out in a good way compared to other anime
Nov 16, 2023 11:16 AM

Aug 2018
@Blueberry173 it's true that 12 Kingdoms does end with a lot of loose plot threads concerning the story arc of one particular character. It's frustrating but still very much worth a watch.
Nov 17, 2023 9:29 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to Ispectatort
Legend of The Galactic Heroes. I cannot stress enough how not-mainstream it is or how epic this anime is. There is no better anime series out there. Not a lot of people know about it though. So it stands on cca. 12 spot on the best anime list.
@Ispectatort

LOGH is a mainstream anime, there is a reson why it's on MAL's top 10. Then again there are pople who wrote anime like Code Geass, K-ON and Trigun that is somehow not mainstream, so I don't expect much from MAL users.
DadfFNov 17, 2023 10:12 AM
Nov 17, 2023 10:04 AM

Aug 2022
i guess it depends on your definition of "mainstream", but girls' last tour is probably the least mainstream anime i'd call a masterpiece through and through. just a beautiful work of art.

"86 part one is far better than part two and one of the most masterfully told stories i have ever seen" -bocchi 'the rock' johnson

real quote. she said it not me
Nov 17, 2023 10:25 AM

Aug 2023
Mushishi. Every episode/story was so good that I can't even explain in words.

And Golden Kamuy
Nov 17, 2023 10:30 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to -Sleek-
Mushishi. Every episode/story was so good that I can't even explain in words.

And Golden Kamuy
@SLEEK__ASSASSIN

I would say Mushishi is mainstream enough, it even has a live action adaptation after all.
Nov 18, 2023 8:33 AM

Oct 2021
Aria. Does that count as mainstream?
Nov 19, 2023 12:15 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Reply to Alpha-Nine
I agree!

The fact that this post was first one on this thread thus far to mention LOGH speaks volumes to the series' reputation as "the best anime few people watched."
@Alpha-Nine I wonder if people are intimidated by the length and age, or by the whole political space opera thing. Or at least that's why I haven't dug into it yet...

Nov 19, 2023 12:17 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Reply to Ricchan__
nishant0 said:

In my opinion, you can count Frieren as a mainstream series, because it´s by far the most popular show, which has started airing this season. It´s still great nonetheless.

By greatest anime that's not mainstream, I would say: K-ON, Nana, Initial D, Wangan Midnight, Bocchi The Rock, Yu Yu Hakusho, (Hunter x Hunter, idk if I should count it as a mainstream series), The Vision of Escaflowne, Trigun, GTO, Outlaw Star and LinkClick.

I´m currently watching Ruruoni Kenshin (1996) and The Apothecary Diaries and I would add them to the list as well, but I haven´t finished them, so I´ll propably add them later.

@FujiwaraSenpai__

These days I would agree, btu initial D, YYH, hxh and trigun were all pretty popular back in the day, weren't they? the mainstream anime of the 90's and 00's.

escaflowne was definitely underrated though. and linkclick~ (I guess that's mainstream within the chinese produced genre but in general nah)

Nov 20, 2023 12:29 PM
Nov 2023
I'd say Space Dandy and Girl's Last Tour are extremely underrated.
Nov 20, 2023 1:37 PM

Jul 2014
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is well-respected and acclaimed, but it's far too underseen to be called mainstream. So I'll go with that one.
Take care of yourself

Nov 20, 2023 1:48 PM

Jul 2014
Damn near every great anime isn't mainstream, and the vast majority of mainstream anime aren't great, simply accessible.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Nov 20, 2023 1:49 PM

Sep 2018
Legends of the Galactic Heroes and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Lowkey people are sleeping on the Sensei. It's got so much content that would be loved by twitter clout.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Nov 25, 2023 1:04 PM

Jul 2010
Personal favorite is Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. Hidden romance gems are classics like Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road.
Nov 26, 2023 11:05 AM

Jul 2010
@Asdzd
Still look at the stats, what percent of members heard or had an interest to watch them, I was teen when I watched them for the first time. In Japan Rumiko is the one of the most popular manga artists, they definitely heard or watched/read Maison Ikkoku there, not so sure about Kimagure Orange Road.

It has much better MAL stats than titles I mentioned, still I wouldn't say it's mainstream (at least not oversea), I classify very popular titles on that list (anime we all heard of) or with significant stats for new or relatively new titles with not so big hype.
Nov 26, 2023 11:46 AM

Jun 2020
Ascendance of a Bookworm

So niche that the anime went pass the English translations of the Manga, and I dont see any indication of it getting another season. Light Novel is dope.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Nov 26, 2023 11:51 AM
(╯˘ -˘ )╯異世界

May 2018
I never hear anyone talking about Made in Abyss, so I'll go with that one. It's definitely underrated and a must-have for drama and fantasy fans. However, it's tougher than it looks. Here's a trigger warning for those who are not fans of splatter, violence, or horror.
RinkimirikutaNov 26, 2023 12:33 PM
Nov 26, 2023 11:58 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to iunne
Depends on where you draw the line for "mainstream," but one masterpiece that definitely can't be considered mainstream is Princess Tutu.

I know it sounds lame af, but it's actually genius
@iunne
iunne said:

This. If you haven't seen Princess Tutu yet, stop whatever you're doing and watch it.

Once you've done that, as far as things yet to be mentioned goes, watch Kodocha and KareKano.
Nov 26, 2023 12:08 PM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I think these three oldies are better than 30 of the top anime list at least.

Golden Boy
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Oruchuban Ebichu
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Dec 2, 2023 2:14 AM
Jul 2018
There are many only if you care to look more on MAL... like here is one, Gunbuster.
Dec 2, 2023 2:23 AM

Oct 2019
well, pretty much none of my favourite anime are mainstream....

So, my answer would be the same as what i consider some of the best anime ever made general.

to which i would say:

Steins;gate, made in abyss, Monster, pluto, Sonny boy, Perfect blue, disappearance of haruhi suzumiya....

I guess Mob peycho and vinland are close to mainstream and i consider them 2 of the best.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 2, 2023 3:57 AM

Dec 2022
Reply to APolygons2
well, pretty much none of my favourite anime are mainstream....

So, my answer would be the same as what i consider some of the best anime ever made general.

to which i would say:

Steins;gate, made in abyss, Monster, pluto, Sonny boy, Perfect blue, disappearance of haruhi suzumiya....

I guess Mob peycho and vinland are close to mainstream and i consider them 2 of the best.
@APolygons2 Haruhi was the one of the biggest hits of its time though, so definitely mainstream. Often mentioned to this day and widely known among anime watchers. Reminds me of some top waifu over time graph (based on google search trends) on YouTube where Haruhi dominated over the second place by 2x at some point. Steins;Gate is literally #13 most popular on MAL. Made in Abyss is very popular too. The only reason why you don't see them mentioned too much now is because people talk more about recent stuff. Definitely everyone who keeps up with anime has heard or them, if not watched.

Under "not mainstream" I would only count those which most people here probably haven't even heard of. Ones that I would consider are (none of them are even within 2000 most popular according to MAL):

- Seikai no Monshou (Crest of the Stars)
- Kemono no Souja Erin (The Beast Player Erin)
- Saiunkoku Monogatari (The Tale of Saiun Country)
- Saraiya Goyou (House of Five Leaves)
Dec 2, 2023 5:25 AM

Aug 2017
-The entire Toaru-verse (Index, Railgun, Accelerator, etc.)
-D Gray Man
-Planet With.
-Golden Kamuy
-Sora no Otoshimono
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 2, 2023 6:37 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to delirific
@APolygons2 Haruhi was the one of the biggest hits of its time though, so definitely mainstream. Often mentioned to this day and widely known among anime watchers. Reminds me of some top waifu over time graph (based on google search trends) on YouTube where Haruhi dominated over the second place by 2x at some point. Steins;Gate is literally #13 most popular on MAL. Made in Abyss is very popular too. The only reason why you don't see them mentioned too much now is because people talk more about recent stuff. Definitely everyone who keeps up with anime has heard or them, if not watched.

Under "not mainstream" I would only count those which most people here probably haven't even heard of. Ones that I would consider are (none of them are even within 2000 most popular according to MAL):

- Seikai no Monshou (Crest of the Stars)
- Kemono no Souja Erin (The Beast Player Erin)
- Saiunkoku Monogatari (The Tale of Saiun Country)
- Saraiya Goyou (House of Five Leaves)
delirific said:

I think there is a big difference between "popular among anime fans" and mainstream.

yes all these shows are massively well known among your average otaku or weeb. but mainstream is a bigger pool.

If i was to name lesser known shows I adore even by anime fan standards, then i would name:

Akudama drive, Mars red, and sonny boy.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 2, 2023 3:47 PM

Dec 2016
Eureka Seven. It had all the ingredients to be the 2000's Neon Genesis Evangelion in terms of popularity but for some reason it never took off. Not an obscure title of course, but far from something to be considered part of the mainstream either.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How do you behave in front of a cute girl

SgtBateMan - 6 hours ago

20 by Zarutaku »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime you wouldn't watch?

coolyfruity - Yesterday

27 by Damuzen »»
17 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

23 by JaaShooUhh »»
27 minutes ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why?

melodyily - 8 hours ago

29 by Damuzen »»
30 minutes ago

» What anime character has the most annoying/toxic haters? ( 1 2 3 )

Adimus_prime - Mar 8, 2021

138 by Bruh69XD »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.