Forum Settings
Forums

I don't understand people who hate on long anime they completed

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 15, 2022 11:19 AM

Jan 2021
Maybe because they don't like that particular anime :?
Jan 15, 2022 11:31 AM
Nov 2019
SmashBlack said:
Like seriously, I see a TON of MAL users that don't even drop a long anime they hate at all, they just go and watch til the very end and then proceed to give it a bad score, like @Karhu and @Lockensocke for example, they watched the entirety of Gintama and Hunter X Hunter respectively but still gave them 1s anyways, and even if some MAL users actually do drop long anime they hate, they still watched a ton of it, like @mkzxwing for example, he dropped One Piece but he still watched 625 episodes of it anyways, so can someone tell me why these people never even seem to drop long anime they hate at all, especially really long ones like Gintama and One Piece?

i think you're confused. "dropped" doesn't necessarily mean they hated it, it could just mean they forgot about it and don't want to go back (i know thats for the on-hold section but c'mon nobody uses that)
and what does length matter at all? have you not rated anything low? how's that any different from rating a long show low?
and on more than some cases, fans keep telling you that "it gets better" so you kinda have to watch it to the end or the time you already have spent watching it will be wasted (gintama being a prime example of this)
my last point is, how can you even talk about something if you haven't watched it fully? like, consider if someone drops code geass right before the ending. they obviously would think it's shit but if they watched it to the end the score would have increased tenfold
Jan 15, 2022 12:13 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
Why do you fucking care? If they dropped it early, you'd say "NOOOOOOOOOO you can't judge an anime if you haven't completed it!" Also, this site is called "MyAnimeList, not YourAnimeList," meaning that people can rate however they want. If you don't like negative reviews of your faves, then don't read them. (like I do).
Jan 15, 2022 12:18 PM

Oct 2019
My personal theory is that they are hidden masochists who got baited by the fans thinking the show will get better or they are masochistic critics who must see it all the way through
NoonDaMoonJan 15, 2022 12:22 PM
Jan 15, 2022 12:24 PM

Dec 2020
IpreferEcchi said:
You can't justify scoring a long anime poorly unless you have seen most of it, so you know it deserves it.

Just about to say this, thanks.

@SmashBlack I dropped Fairy tell after 160 episodes, if I'm not mistaken, and I consider that a good amount of time to gauge if a long show is good or not. For me, fairy tail just wasn't.
"Did you forget already? In my word the color "red" doesn't exist. These must be...my tears. Ever since I woke up from my coma...I think I've been waiting for this very moment. You'd do well to remember this, Maya. The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over."
(Ace Attorney T&T: Bridge to the Turnabout)
"I'm my worst critic." (Kendrick Lamar)
Jan 15, 2022 2:12 PM

Apr 2019
There are people who don't watch shows with even thinking about ratings.

Watching a long show for whatever reason: many days
Changing a meaningless number in a meaningless database: 1 minute

Jan 15, 2022 2:16 PM

Oct 2020
I was one of those guys. Every single time, it was because "it gets good at x episode". I have never had an anime get good in 1500 episodes of watching anime. It either was good, or wasn't. If I don't like the premise and characters or story, it will never ever get good only get worse. That's like telling someone who hates buff men screaming shonen to watch dragon ball z and "wait for it to get good". It will never get good, only worse.

I drop shows now so no more of that nonsense

Jan 15, 2022 2:22 PM

Mar 2021
Some just want to hate on it so they'll watch it till the end to nitpick every single flaw so that they shit on it and some others watch so that no one can tell them "you dropped it before the good parts."
Jan 15, 2022 2:49 PM

Jul 2020
AniMarter said:
Dropping anime is for cowards. Finish what you start. Rating something without watching it all is a bad way to go about it. Etc.
Also, I forgot to say this, but dropping anime doesn’t make you a coward. If anything, watching an anime till the very end even though you hate it means you’re a coward because you’re WAY too afraid people will criticize you for dropping your favorite show. Also, even if you don’t watch something entirely, you still have an opinion on that show, and that’s what truly matters, not finishing something so that you look “intellectual” for hating the show. Plus, there are some series out there that don’t even look like they’re gonna finish anytime soon and that applies especially for manga. Series like Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Vagabond, D.Gray Man, Vinland Saga, Made in Abyss, Land of the Lustrous, One Piece, Kingdom, and Real don’t even look like they’re close to being finished, so if you hate any of these series and didn’t drop them, than you’re suffering will basically never end since those series will basically never finish for a long time. Plus, even if you do finish these series and hate them, you might not even have any actual reasons as to why you hate them and might just hate them simply because of stupid reasons like the guy who gave Hunter X Hunter a 1 I mentioned earlier.

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Jan 15, 2022 4:22 PM

Jul 2021
ehhh I mean a lot of anime take time to get good. but at most I would watch around 70-80 eps before dropping. I dont see any point in watching a long 300+ episode anime then giving It a 1, it's a waste of time.

Jan 15, 2022 4:23 PM

Jul 2021
BigMac7 said:
Some just want to hate on it so they'll watch it till the end to nitpick every single flaw so that they shit on it and some others watch so that no one can tell them "you dropped it before the good parts."
yea its hella annoying when people do that lol

Jan 15, 2022 4:24 PM

Oct 2012
Sure, call me a masochist if that pleases you, but let me correct you on one thing. No one, and I mean no one -- finishes a show just to hate on it. Trust me. I hate on a show before I finish it, but sometimes I finish it anyways. Ironically, probably the only reason you inferred that finishing it leads to the hating is because you presumably believe finishing is a prerequisite to judging fairly, but you allow for judging before finishing on account that having "an opinion on that show [is] what truly matters".

I've seen this too often. People will create this disingenuous "out" to disqualify critics: If they finish it, they're a masochistic hater and their opinion no longer matters. But if they don't finish it, they haven't seen the whole thing and their opinions don't matter. In your case, you seem to be saying it matters that they have an opinion, but it's unclear whether you think their opinions themselves matter.

SmashBlack said:
Plus, even if you do finish these series and hate them, you might not even have any actual reasons as to why you hate them and might just hate them simply because of stupid reasons like the guy who gave Hunter X Hunter a 1 I mentioned earlier.
I wonder what you say about people who love Hunter X Hunter and "might not even have any actual reasons" and love them "simply because of stupid reasons". Given that HxH is highly ranked, there's so many more of those just statistically.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 15, 2022 4:27 PM

Oct 2012
_spoon_ said:
ehhh I mean a lot of anime take time to get good. but at most I would watch around 70-80 eps before dropping. I dont see any point in watching a long 300+ episode anime then giving It a 1, it's a waste of time.
So 70-80 is good, but not 300. Where did you find this magical rule of a episode limit you're allowed to watch before it becomes an unreasonable waste of time?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 15, 2022 4:29 PM

Jul 2021
katsucats said:
_spoon_ said:
So 70-80 is good, but not 300. Where did you find this magical rule of a episode limit you're allowed to watch before it becomes an unreasonable waste of time?
usually anime take a long time to get good. so I will watch around 70-80 before dropping unless it is so bad I cant bear to watch anymore if it has not gotten good by then then it probably never will

Jan 16, 2022 2:19 PM
May 2021
Attackonfiller said:
Slimsith said:

Yeah I thought I was like that until I watched "Aikatsu!".
That series is like a brainwash kind of deal.
Teletubbies might be the Acid/LSD, but Aikatsu! is ghetto crack.
F that.

As an Aikatsu! fan, I couldn't be any more confused as to what you mean by this. I really need help with that Teletubbies analogy especially xD

To understand is to be subjective.

Your a fan of Aikatsu!, I am not.

There's no need to go into details, it's just the way it is.

If you didn't like my comparison, I'm not going to apologize over an analogy I made.
I could've compared it to worse.

However in respect to the Teletubbies comparison, hmm.
1-Bright colors.
2-Soft art style of the characters
3-More bright colors.
4-Did I mention the fxxking bright colors?

Anyway it's a weird idol anime, with eyesore transformations that got way too annoying mixing between hand drawn then weak cgi, but I never played the game and for some, there are people like you, who enjoy it.

I felt agitated watching it, so I dropped it.
SlimsithJan 16, 2022 2:22 PM
Jan 16, 2022 2:26 PM
May 2021
NoonDaMoon said:
My personal theory is that they are hidden masochists who got baited by the fans thinking the show will get better or they are masochistic critics who must see it all the way through

I agree.

Some people have this "No Drop" rule.

That's fine, it's their pleasure to be tortured, in a sense.

Personally, it's not my choice of tea to suffer while watching anime.
Jan 16, 2022 2:43 PM

May 2020
to be fair, an anime like hxh where the first half was really good and the 2nd half was awful makes sense why people finish it and give it a low score. if the back half is bad but the first half was good obviously they had a reason to keep going and finish it
Jan 16, 2022 2:53 PM

Aug 2014
Why would you give a short series a bad score? it didn't take up much of your time right? End of the day just because someone finished it doesn't mean it automatically deserves a good score... They gave it a chance, they may have hoped it would get better or they hope that more happened within the series but it didn't for them and thus it deserved a bad score in their eyes.

Jan 16, 2022 2:58 PM
Dec 2020
I can understand why the dude dropped One Piece only because he was in that episode, the pacing in that whole arc is actual trash, when I was watching it, I had to die and come back to life just to see a character move, its still my favorite anime tho
Jan 16, 2022 5:01 PM
May 2021
anirudhtsuki said:
Slimsith said:

Aikatsu! at 6 episodes.

Out of all of them, Aikatsu! is the worst of them all.

S1? I'm surprised you even watched 6 episodes. Why did start it? May i ask

@Chandela recommended it to me, praising it highly.

I figured sure, why not.

I did some research about it, it is based off a game in Japan, but I don't know the mechanics of that game, but figured okay I'll try it out.

Well, here we are.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis and Virgin Soul are based off a mobile trading card game and they kicked ass.

Aikatsu!, is a long series like 170+ episodes, plus there are sequels, movies, and so on.

Anyway 5th episode and I quit, I marked it on 6, I haven't even rated it, because there is a probability chance I'll go back to it.

I think I'll catch up on One Piece, before I go back to Aikatsu! though.

Jan 17, 2022 2:43 AM

Jul 2017
Slimsith said:

If you didn't like my comparison, I'm not going to apologize over an analogy I made.

1-Bright colors.
3-More bright colors.

Anyway it's a weird idol anime, with eyesore transformations that got way too annoying mixing between hand drawn then weak cgi, but I never played the game and for some, there are people like you, who enjoy it.

You can dislike it all you want of course. I just wanted to really understand what you meant by the analogy, as it was a unique one lol. I'm glad I got it clear now lol

Jan 17, 2022 8:12 AM

Feb 2010
One Piece has been airing for like 25 years. Enough time for anyone to change their taste and mind about the show multiple times over. You're making it seem like a person's taste and opinion is fixed from the start and can under no circumstances change over time. It can definitely happen that you watch OP for a couple of years but eventually grow out of it and drop it. Or people change the score of a show years later because their opinion changed.

Then again I wouldn't put much weight on the scores of people who liberally use 1s a lot for decent titles they personally dislike and not just for literal the worst of the worst like Mars of Destruction. It's usually performative rather than sincere and by getting triggered by it you're giving them exactly what they want: attention and another situation where they can flaunt their negativity and feel superior for not enjoying something. Let them sit in their negativity and misery andjust keep enjoying yourself and having fun. That's the best counter to that kind of attitude.

Nuggey said:

"It gets better later on," is about my most hated statement so to avoid ever hearing it, I don't drop shows. I watch shows that I think are awful to the very end so I can explain to anyone who asks why I think it's so bad, but this is just my reason.

It is usually a stupid statement and should be ignored by people who aren't already enjoying the show in question to some degree. 'It gets better' usually comes from fans who enjoyed it from the start, they just enjoyed it even more later on. Transposing that experience to someone who actively dislikes the show early on, never made sense to me. Like can turn to love quite easily over time, but hate turning to like is much more difficult and rare.

I always tell everyone who has to ask 'Is this worth continuing if I dislike it so far' to just drop it because listening to the fans who had a completely different experience from the start is most likely just gonna generate more frustration. That's literally how you create vocal haters imo.

If I were you I'd do myself a favor and just not listen to these comments in the future and drop shows if you dislike them early on instead of getting egged on to hatewatch them by ignorant fans. Better for everyone involved, no?
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 17, 2022 9:14 AM
May 2021
Attackonfiller said:
Slimsith said:

1-Bright colors.
3-More bright colors.

You can dislike it all you want of course. I just wanted to really understand what you meant by the analogy, as it was a unique one lol. I'm glad I got it clear now lol

What were you expecting?

I personally was expecting some kind of backlash from you, but then again I haven't invested anytime into Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh!, so I can't give any opinion on them.
I did read some manga of Pokemon and that was good, but I'm skeptical about the anime, despite it's fan base and Pokemon is a pretty damn lengthy series with alot of movies and stuff too, so I'm passing on it.

Pretty much after Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT and Dragonball Super including OVA's and movies, I'm tapped when it comes to long running series.

Urusei Yatsura is one I've recently finished and that was pretty good, I'm surprised they're doing a remake this year, but I'm looking forward to it.

I apologize for not liking Aikatsu!, but that is a long series and I did my best to make it through 5 eps, I was agonizing at 3, but if anything it tested my limit and I broke.

So, it did change me.
Jan 22, 2022 2:54 PM

Oct 2013
SmashBlack said:
Like seriously, I see a TON of MAL users that don't even drop a long anime they hate at all, they just go and watch til the very end and then proceed to give it a bad score, like @Karhu and @Lockensocke for example, they watched the entirety of Gintama and Hunter X Hunter respectively but still gave them 1s anyways, and even if some MAL users actually do drop long anime they hate, they still watched a ton of it, like @mkzxwing for example, he dropped One Piece but he still watched 625 episodes of it anyways, so can someone tell me why these people never even seem to drop long anime they hate at all, especially really long ones like Gintama and One Piece?

There's a lot of factors to it that are possible, especially when talking of long running stuff like OP. You can grow out of it. Your standards (which hopefully aren't static since you where a kid) rise and change up a bit too. On the other end, the show itself can get worse, monotone, or maybe the art doesn't fit any kind of modern standard anymore (all of which are true for op as far as i see). There's also things called completionism and stubbornness. Someone can just be watching something they don't really like with a friend, because stuff is more fun with friends, depending how you go about it (for a really extreme example, from a different media type, one of the most common arguments i've seen on people defending fallout 76 is 'it was fun because i played it with friends' despite the game being a buggy, grindy shitshow with nearly nothing in it for a few years). Oh, and since after episode 100-150 its like 40%+ stretched scenes, and 20% reminder scene, making an 'episode' closer to half an episode, and i've watched THAT on x1.25, x1.5, and finally in x2 speed and with seek-skips, so effectively i watched something closer to 300 episodes of it.

Now as per why? At the start i DID enjoy it (100~ episodes or so). Then just because we talked about it with a friend and sometimes watched together (when i started speeding up and skipping), thought it might get better again after a while or something (which it didn't and the art quality just kept dropping and/or staying the same... In a show that's running like 20 years that's bad, yeah. also grew out of it.). Then out of stubbornness and for a good (or rather more objective) review. Got your answers i hope?

Too much assumptions here on your part too. 1 - the quality is consistent 2 - the hundreds of episodes are available at all time (meanwhile the thing is ongoing and people DO age and change, both their and the industry standards rise too), 3 - the episodes are the same (as i said, its not the case, instead they're super stretched in both op and other shounen), 4 - they're watching at x1 speed and with no seek skips which significantly cuts the, 5 - all people are the same and should live by the same standards and ideas... And many more weird things to assume.
mkzxwingJan 22, 2022 2:58 PM
Jan 22, 2022 3:01 PM
Jul 2018
Because quality of an anime changes throughout the season/seasons depending on the anime
Also you can give a proper review if you finish it
Jan 22, 2022 3:08 PM

Mar 2008
I would agree if it's something they were downloading episode by episode but if they are just casually watching it on TV or downloaded every episode in a torrent and just dont want that bandwidth usage go wasted I can see how they would sit through it all.
Jan 22, 2022 3:17 PM

Apr 2020
I don't watch long anime anymore, but I would never continue watching something I can't get into. I could actually be watching something I like with less episodes or reading manga.
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Jan 22, 2022 3:19 PM

Dec 2018
All these smart answers and nobody mentioned that they life in thier mothers basement and don't have anything better to do with thier life XD
Jan 22, 2022 3:19 PM
Dec 2020
SmashBlack said:
IpreferEcchi said:
You can't justify scoring a long anime poorly unless you have seen most of it, so you know it deserves it.
Why would you do that though? You'd essentially be wasting a fraction of your life just by watching long anime you hate. There's better uses for the time you spend watching a long anime you hate, you know.
It's their choice that they want to waste their life, why do you care
Jan 22, 2022 3:37 PM

Jan 2008
It does seem very strange to give a 100 plus episode anime a 1.

1 indicates there was nothing you liked about it. Masochists maybe?
Jan 22, 2022 4:57 PM

Oct 2020
An Anime should have at least some bigger parts which I would rate 7+ to make me watch nearly 100 episodes or more, otherwise I would rather drop it at some point
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What anime you think was carried by a single character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Today

52 by luckyrune »»
3 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

96 by Kruszer »»
7 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film.

Old_School_Akira - 8 hours ago

36 by KittenCuddler »»
8 minutes ago

» Filler arcs are not that bad, you're just too old and have access to the internet.

LenRea - Jun 9

27 by Lion_Sin »»
12 minutes ago

» does anyone find it childish and cringe whenever attacks are yelled or named in shonen anime/manga? ( 1 2 )

Phantomnocomics - Jun 8

66 by Lion_Sin »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.