Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 18, 2021 11:44 PM

Mar 2020
That was a good episode.

The 4D chess that they played is insane.

I like the name that Adler takes, it's almost like they're creating a backstory for how the later James Bond was inspired by some agent in the 19th century.
Also further establishing that James Bond is more of a job title than a person's name.

samashi20 said:
I feel like it's unlikely, but I hope the Moriarty's are not serious about going down as the scapegoat, I wouldn't like that ending. I want the villains/antagonists to win for once lol.
They're not the bad guys technically, they've always been the good guys. So it makes sense that they're patriotic and therefore want to scapegoat themselves to unite everyone and attain equality.

What would be interesting is if they start targeting high ranked individuals and Mycroft can't do shit to stop them because they know too much.
He can't kill them because obviously they'll have contingency plans to expose everything, and he can't stop them either.
So it's like a complete onslaught where the only one with ability to stop Moriarty would be Sherlock since he's the only one out of the loop of the deal.

And obviously, Sherlock knows that Lord of Crime only kills corrupt nobles, so does he really have a motive to stop Moriarty?
So I'm pretty sure at some point in this story, Moriarty is going to get too carried away with his plan which will cause harm to both nobles and commoners alike as he states with Robespierre. Therefore, creating the "scapegoat" that he talked about. Eventually becoming the villain of the story, albeit with good intentions, which in turn would get Sherlock on his ass again.
Apr 18, 2021 11:57 PM

Jan 2020
Judevin said:
That was a good episode.

I like the name that Adler takes, it's almost like they're creating a backstory for how the later James Bond was inspired by some agent in the 19th century.
Also further establishing that James Bond is more of a job title than a person's name.

samashi20 said:
I feel like it's unlikely, but I hope the Moriarty's are not serious about going down as the scapegoat, I wouldn't like that ending. I want the villains/antagonists to win for once lol.
They're not the bad guys technically, they've always been the good guys. So it makes sense that they're patriotic and therefore want to scapegoat themselves to unite everyone and attain equality.

What would be interesting is if they start targeting high ranked individuals and Mycroft can't do shit to stop them because they know too much.
He can't kill them because obviously they'll have contingency plans to expose everything, and he can't stop them either.
So it's like a complete onslaught where the only one with ability to stop Moriarty would be Sherlock since he's the only one out of the loop of the deal.

And obviously, Sherlock knows that Lord of Crime only kills corrupt nobles, so does he really have a motive to stop Moriarty?
So I'm pretty sure at some point in this story, Moriarty is going to get too carried away with his plan which will cause harm to both nobles and commoners alike as he states with Robespierre. Therefore, creating the "scapegoat" that he talked about. Eventually becoming the villain of the story, albeit with good intentions, which in turn would get Sherlock on his ass again.

I'm pretty sure Sherlock doesn't like William's methods and wants to ultimately reveal their true identity. They might have the same goals in mind and want to reform their society, but they definitely have different moral principles. So regardless of the good intentions of Moriarty, he would still go after him. He let it slide this time though for the sake of Irene.
Edit: The previous season really portrayed Sherlock as someone who's really not after justice as much as he is after fulfilling his desire of solving more intriguing cases. It felt like he wants to be challenged more than anything.

I too believe that Moriarty will set his plans in such a way that gets Sherlock back on his case, and he will probably be the one to take him down. Everything is starting to fall into place, but man how I wish the Moriarty's could flee to another country or get away with what they did and what they will do.

samashi20Apr 19, 2021 12:02 AM
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 19, 2021 12:03 AM

Mar 2020
samashi20 said:
Judevin said:
That was a good episode.

I'm pretty sure Sherlock doesn't like William's methods and wants to ultimately reveal their true identity. They might have the same goals in mind and want to reform their society, but they definitely have different moral principles. So regardless of the good intentions of Moriarty, he would still go after him. He let it slide this time though for the sake of Irene.

I too believe that Moriarty will set his plans in such a way that gets Sherlock back on his case, and he will probably be the one to take him down. Everything is starting to fall into place, but man how I wish the Moriarty's could flee to another country or get away with what they did and what they will do.
I'm hoping this will leave on an inconclusive end, where Sherlock and Moriarty just always stay in stalemate.
Moriarty killing people, Sherlock chasing him.
"Destined to do it forever" type of thing.

I would also not mind an ending where they both kill each other.
Sherlock shoots Moriarty, but Moriarty had one last trap up his sleeve and that gets Sherlock and he just dies thinking that he won but still lost.

Well the manga hasn't ended so who knows where this will go.
Apr 19, 2021 12:07 AM

Jan 2020
Judevin said:
I'm hoping this will leave on an inconclusive end, where Sherlock and Moriarty just always stay in stalemate.
Moriarty killing people, Sherlock chasing him.
"Destined to do it forever" type of thing.

I would also not mind an ending where they both kill each other.
Sherlock shoots Moriarty, but Moriarty had one last trap up his sleeve and that gets Sherlock and he just dies thinking that he won but still lost.

Well the manga hasn't ended so who knows where this will go.

I prefer those potential endings over Moriarty getting killed!
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 19, 2021 1:07 AM

May 2011
Judevin said:

This. Thought the same and honestly think it was a smart move rather than just a cringe reference. Now with this arc done I hope they go back to focusing on Moriarty's side killing nobles than continuing with the Sherlock perspective.
Apr 19, 2021 1:45 AM
Jun 2017
james bonde... hahaha... nice selection of name...
Apr 19, 2021 2:06 AM

Mar 2009
This show is so over-the-top and silly.
Apr 19, 2021 2:41 AM

Oct 2016
Holy shit, that was a fantastic episode! Sherlock is really getting played in all the shit that's happening here lmao. But, for sure, he himself is excited for what's to come. As am I.

Robespierre really code geassed the French Revolution, I don't know how accurate that is, but it's still pretty cool. And the the Moriarty brothers goals is basically the same as Robespierre, making themselves the enemy of everyone. I guess it was pretty smart of them to tell Mycroft their plans, the government itself is turning a blind eye to their scheming as long as they aren't a harm to Britain.

Well, Irene Adler is dead, but James Bonde is born! Out of all the things, I never would have expected her last name to be Bonde lmao, it's amazing, my jaw dropped when she said it. Can't believe I didn't predict it, I mean she said "new friends... new bonds", should have seen it coming lmao. But yeah, that was fucking awesome. Really looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 19, 2021 3:51 AM
Jul 2018
Seems pros and cons about Irene is James Bond but I didn't care it. Nice cliffhanger.
William's stratagem is getting evil. He tries to dominate London together with his family honest.
Apr 19, 2021 5:25 AM

Sep 2012
James Bond, that gave me an unexpected laugh. Curious to see her actions now that she's part of the organization.
Apr 19, 2021 6:02 AM

Jul 2019
good ep, didn't really mind the name change.
Apr 19, 2021 6:46 AM

Apr 2018
Irene is even hotter now.
Apr 19, 2021 6:48 AM

Oct 2011
That James Bonde was so cringe. I'm dropping this thing, sorry. Season 2 does not exist.
Apr 19, 2021 9:24 AM

Jan 2016
FuMomo-kun said:
k0rvus said:
No, James Bond was always a British agent. That reference is insane though
I meant James Bond is from a different century. Sherlock is from the late 19th century, while Bond is from the mid twentieth century.
I read it as country, my bad. Yeah Bond was created in the 1950s or 1960s
Apr 19, 2021 10:27 AM

Mar 2016
k0rvus said:
FuMomo-kun said:
I meant James Bond is from a different century. Sherlock is from the late 19th century, while Bond is from the mid twentieth century.
I read it as country, my bad. Yeah Bond was created in the 1950s or 1960s

Hahaha That happens to me too!
Apr 19, 2021 1:01 PM

Jan 2021
This episode was gonna be my favorite until Irene mentioned her new name.....I cackled and cringed lmao
Apr 19, 2021 1:51 PM

Jan 2008
Not sure why the subtitle had Bond as Bonde as it's Bond in the Manga

And it's a good twist. Don't know why some are struggling with it.
Apr 19, 2021 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
I was thinking about dropping the show because of how predictable it is, but Irene made it worth watching again.
Apr 19, 2021 7:26 PM

Aug 2015
Become pretty boy, utter line worthy of a parody. Iconic.
whitherApr 19, 2021 7:34 PM
Apr 19, 2021 7:54 PM
Apr 2015
Great ep
Best anime this season for me
Apr 19, 2021 9:00 PM
Dec 2020
Moriraty:- "We will become a common evil for all."

Lelouch:- "First time?"
Apr 19, 2021 9:02 PM
Dec 2020
At first I thought Irene was a btch.

Oh was I so so wrong.
Apr 19, 2021 11:55 PM

Jul 2014
James bond still makes me laugh lmao but hope some won't drop this bcz of the name (ur choice tho ofc)

But hearing the French revolution robespierre being a holmes is interesting
I don't remember seeing that in manga but i think i just forgot it
Still that was good
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Apr 20, 2021 5:38 AM

May 2015
UberBat said:

Maybe for copyright reasons?
Apr 20, 2021 11:44 AM

Dec 2016
I can understand Irene, Bond was the first word that came to your mind after hearing James but naming yourself that just makes you comical ( ̄▽ ̄)

Personally, I don't really like their idea of letting Irene join them. It would've been better if her chapter closed down in this episode by her going to a different country and living her life, that way she could still assist them behind the scenes whenever it would be necessary. I know that the Lord of Crime team needs more people of similar mindset to carry out their plans and Irene was the most suitable but adopting her was kinda unnecessary.

I don't think announcing that she is dead had any merit. That just made Sherlock aware that Irene is still alive but in a disguise. Now it makes it easier for him to pursue the Lord of Crime. Tho that's what they're most likely after. They love to bully Sherlock in their own way.

They are just lucky that Sherlock isn't the type of person to take the easy way out.
Rickydory123Apr 20, 2021 11:48 AM
Apr 20, 2021 12:44 PM

Jan 2021
James Bond came out of fckin nowhere what the heck! I love it
Apr 20, 2021 2:30 PM

Oct 2015
There is such a lack of understanding on who is Irene Adler and what made her so special in Conan Doyle's masterpiece 'A Scandal in Bohemia'. There are so many characters in the Sherlock Holmes canon that are so unique, so well-written and so special to many readers across time and space that adaptations and apocryphal writings cannot help but lavish them with even more attention, which is counter-productive to what made Conan Doyle's detective tales so appealing in the first place.

Irene Adler is one of these characters, even though she only appeared once in the entirety of the canon - which is quite understandable, considering she bested Holmes to his own game. What a fascinating and iconic figure to adapt into other forms of media, right? The problem is that all of these adaptations fail to understand her character. In most of them, she is a rather boring, dull, and pointless 'femme fatale' - and 'Moriarty the Patriot' is no exception unfortunately.
I do not mind the idea of rewriting Adler, what I mind however is the rewriting in question being good and especially respectful to the character: I am sorry to report that using the very tiresome trope of the 'femme fatale' is not doing Irene Adler any favour. Not only is it quite expected, it is also very boring for the most part. You have this brilliant female character, and what do you do with it? This sexy, cliché 'femme fatale'... Come on, can't you be a bit more creative please?

In the case of 'Moriarty the Patriot', I am afraid it is even worse than that: the twist by the end is at odds with what her character stood for in the original story. She was 'The Woman', the one who outsmarted Holmes, and got away with her significant achievement. She even disproved his reductive views on women - Holmes lost, thus had to learn a lesson from this severe defeat in his detective career. We were shown that even the great detective - so full of himself - was not immune to the biaises of the patriarchal culture he lived in. Needless to say that for a story published right at the end of 19th century England (and by a man no less), it made careful strides on how men had to challenge their preconceptions on women. What a progressive story that turned out to be also one of the most compelling detective tales ever written.

What did the scriptwriter working for the 'Moriarty the Patriot' choose to do with this premise? Well.. I guess Irene Adler has to be protected by men now. She also has to become a man against her own will, because as a woman she cannot really succeed I suppose... Oh, and why not naming her 'James Bond', since she is working with the MI6 now, *wink wink*... Not quite the relevant timeframe for this nod, but whatever. Cannot wait for Dr. Who and The Beatles to make their debuts in the upcoming episodes!

As a Sherlock Holmes aficionado, this had to be one of the cringiest things I have ever witnessed. And let's not dwell on the 'Robespierre being Sherrinford (AH) Holmes' or the old French Revolution conspiracy theory I certainly did not expect to find here. I get that 'Moriarty the Patriot' is clearly not 'tailor-made' for me, but I am sorry to say that I truly fail to see what was enjoyable in this messy arc. The narrative was all-over the place. The twisting and the untwisting plot also made very little sense, and was far from being compelling. There was no 4D Chess at play here, just 'bad writing' in my opinion. Cool if people liked it - more power to them - but I am not one of them.

I did not like the first season, but I still wanted to give this show another shot considering the PV for season 2 focused on the 'A Scandal in Bohemia' adaptation. I guess I should not have, I am just not the target audience.
BertKnotApr 20, 2021 3:58 PM
Apr 20, 2021 6:04 PM

Jun 2007
Missing some minor details, like Robespierre's appearance at his execution (kind of hard to give a wry smile when you've blown your jaw to pieces in a failed suicide attempt hours earlier). James Bond part definitely felt like a step too far.
Apr 20, 2021 10:09 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
So the Moriarty's are able to continue working in the shadows without the worry of government interference, thanks to the leverage of knowing Britain's biggest secret. Now things will get interesting.

I'll be honest, I did not see James Bond coming at the end there. I thought she was going to say something cheesy like James Holmes. I love it though, I laughed my ass off.

Also, she looks really good with short hair and little makeup. Guess I'm just a sucker for tomboys.
Apr 21, 2021 1:45 AM

Apr 2017
On one hand, I see a few parallels/plot elements between this show and Geass (revolution/Brit(ish/annia)/disdain for nobility/doing the revolution in a "wrong" way). On the other, if this show wasn't super bishie looking (artwise), I could also see this going quite bland...
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Apr 21, 2021 1:53 AM

Dec 2020
JAMES BONDE LMFAOOOO WITH AN E TOO. thats bloody hilarious
Apr 21, 2021 9:13 AM

Oct 2016
I really find it weird how attached Sherlock gets to Adler in such a short time. Also some other name than James Bond would've flowed better as it feels more like a joke.
Humans only live for a hundred years, it is as unreal as a dream that ends in an instant. What is the point of a person living in this world? No more than just being on a journey, and witnessing interesting things. Although I do not want to die, I do not fear death. I am already on my right path, I have no regrets even if I die.

— Fang Yuan (Reverend Insanity)
Apr 21, 2021 11:26 AM
Feb 2021
NOO WERE GETTING BEATEN BY VIVY THAT ANIME IS TRASH ITS ABOUT SINGING
Apr 21, 2021 9:53 PM
Apr 2020
UberBat said:

And it's a good twist. Don't know why some are struggling with it.
That's what I was thinking the name was fine.
Apr 21, 2021 9:55 PM
Apr 2020
The name change at the end was pretty epic and I can say with certainty that I was not expecting it. This was the best episode so far. I'm liking the direction that this is going and it seems like some big moves will be happening soon.
Apr 22, 2021 4:15 AM

Feb 2019
Adler did the things, guys, she cut her hair with a knife and said the thing. The Bond girl is, in fact, Bond all along.

This series was always corny, an entertaining kind of corny, but this one takes the cherry on the cake so far. I had a good laugh at the whole of that scene, from the hair cutting to the reason why she picked 'Bond/Bonde' as a lastname. Amazing.
Apr 22, 2021 10:25 AM
Apr 2016
theaznkid360 said:
GTFO ...of all the names I was expecting to hear james bond was not one of them
I love it. What a plot twist!! People seem to hate how this show takes a different approach to the original but I absolutely adore it xD
Apr 22, 2021 3:06 PM
Feb 2021
The amazing twist was at the end of the episode when the moriarty family accepted irene adler as one of them.....bonde moriarty was her new name and gave me ultra goosebumps...when she confronted sherlock holmes and said "good night mr.holmes" i did not even understand that it was irene adler.... this series always gives goosebumps but the latest episode was on a whole different level to be honest
Apr 23, 2021 12:29 AM

Sep 2010
Judevin said:

Mycroft doesn't want to stop them at all because he agrees with their endgame. Anime cut down a lot of the previous development he and Albert had funding M6 (with Albert as "M") before the Adler arc. Mycroft wants to use them and support their game, but reminds them they will go down the path of Robespierre after their deed is done.

Meanwhile, Sherlock
ThessApr 23, 2021 12:36 AM
Apr 23, 2021 2:37 AM
Oct 2018
so can someone explain the secrect of french revolution thingie i am lost
Apr 23, 2021 2:41 AM

Jun 2019
Bonde... James Bonde... LMAO... I'm dead.
I didn't expect that at all. I loved this episode so much. Irene getting a new life away by announcing her death to everyone. I love how they execute everything so greatly. I'm so hyped for upcoming episodes.
Apr 23, 2021 7:33 AM
Mar 2020
The end to the British Empire scandal arc was unexpected. The next episode tease about Jack the Ripper is a collision course into more Victorian speculative fiction. I wouldn't be surprised if it brings Dracula into this mess of a Sherlock adaptation.
Apr 23, 2021 1:41 PM

Feb 2020
Wait what, whats wrong with this season. Ik that is fiction and everything, but now its totally unrealistic. Whats the point of playing with british goverment? And that plot , rip seriousness of that series. Also existence of James Bond ruins everything. It looks really bad for me, I will drop soon prob.
Apr 23, 2021 3:19 PM

Jun 2015
oooh ooooooooooooooooh
Bond!!!!
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 23, 2021 9:12 PM

Oct 2013
This is getting out of hand lmao.
Apr 24, 2021 1:35 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I finally finishing this episode with a bit of late attitude. But its okay, because this arc conclusion really a fire. Never expected the plot will come to be like that, with a certain good stalemate to finished their own agenda. Then most importantly about all of the backstory behind their action, especially with the Holmes history and the exact parallel with Moriarty act, i think.

Well, the grand scheme of William really solid. Sherlock once again got left behind with a certain condition which curbed him much. Irene Adler, rip. Then welcome to the life as a new member of the lord of crime organization!

Case closed, and lets move to another frustating case in the next episode ....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 24, 2021 6:18 PM

Oct 2020
H O L Y S H I T my jaw was on the floor this whole episode. The plot twists, the brain fucks - THIS is why I love this anime so much! The whole french revolution backstory was mindblowing honestly I wasn't expecting that (I guess those documents really would've rocked the nation I didn't think it'd be something THAT big) and the fact that Robespierre basically had the same intentions as the Moriarty brothers AND he was a HOLMES!?! This is good stuff. And just when I thought it couldn't get any better... THE JAMES BOND REVEAL! That shit gave me CHILLS like literal GOOSEBUMPS. (Guess haters couldn't handle it tho XD) That literature crossover was a cultural shock and I fucking loved every second of it! I can't wait to see him in the next episode, he's gonna be so damn fine. Another 11/10 episode from one of my favorite anime and I can't wait for the Whitechapel Arc!
Apr 24, 2021 11:46 PM

Oct 2017
Everything in this episode was great, Sherlock and Irene relationship is bittersweet even here. Thou I do hope their ship sail at the end of the series.

Also wth was that end? James Bond? Lmao what.
Apr 25, 2021 6:43 PM
May 2020
I didn't expect James Bond thing at all. It is quite ridiculous, but I like it. Adler joined Mariarty, I expect something interesting out of it. I guess next episode we will have another arc. I'm excited!

5/5 episode for me. James Bond gave me a laugh.
Apr 25, 2021 8:47 PM
Mar 2018
OOF the fact that so many people think that Irene being James Bond is cringy or random just shows how much of a failure the anime is as an adaptation of the manga.

The Manga had a lot of build up that they cut out of the anime to put more focus on William and Sherlock. Albert is M in M16, there is Q who makes a bunch of cool stuff, there is a Miss Pennyworth who goes on a mission with Moran. The manga very heavily uses the James Bond Mythos, and they literally cut out all of it and just kept Irene as James Bond, making it so much more random than it should have been.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuukoku no Moriarty 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2021

169 by Ricky16 »»
May 10, 10:32 AM

Poll: » Yuukoku no Moriarty 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2021

57 by Alesa_ »»
Mar 9, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Yuukoku no Moriarty 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2021

75 by Alesa_ »»
Mar 9, 8:20 AM

Poll: » Yuukoku no Moriarty 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 23, 2021

46 by ReganDesu »»
Feb 7, 5:49 AM

Poll: » Yuukoku no Moriarty 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 9, 2021

51 by ReganDesu »»
Feb 1, 6:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.