Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Cells at Work! CODE BLACK
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 7, 2021 2:30 PM

Apr 2015
How to ruin images. No longer any wholesome platelets anymore. They are now delinquents!

It's no joke, this is definitely much darker than the OG, but in a weird way also enjoyable.

Great opening episode! Can't wait to see more!

Can we simp this huge breasted white blood cell?
Jan 7, 2021 2:36 PM

Feb 2014
Why red blood cell protagonist in this version is a wimp like Shinji?
Jan 7, 2021 2:38 PM

Mar 2020
I watched both Cells at work shows today and the question I ask myself is "which one of them will end up on top?" For now Hataraku Saibou Black is without a doubt the one winning the battle.
made by Nate
Jan 7, 2021 2:47 PM

Dec 2016
Intense first episode! And this is just the beginning cuz it will get a lot darker from now on >.<" Still, looking forward for next week!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jan 7, 2021 2:58 PM

Dec 2015
When the Red Blood Cell (AA2153) first met Shu and he was talking about how the body changed over the years. I pictured someone who worked in a 9-5 desk job in a bad working environment. That led him/her to over-eating, drinking, and eventually to smoking. I think it's cool we have this one and the original playing at the same time. For me, I prefer the original because it puts me in a better happier mood; but I do like Code Black too because it makes me think.
Jan 7, 2021 3:26 PM

Dec 2020
Poor red blood cells. They have to give up their nucleus, mitochondria and their ability to *ahem* reproduce. Since cells reproduce asexually to begin with, every month is NNN. Gotta "bottle up them emotions".

This was great so far and I feel it will get even better now that the groundwork is laid. MC is a tiny bit too whiny but angry loli platelets definitely have a lot of potential.
Jan 7, 2021 4:05 PM

Dec 2016
I love the white boob cell , the opening is also good
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jan 7, 2021 4:49 PM
Apr 2019
Starting off with hypemic hypoxia.

And looks like next week is histotoxic hypoxia.
Jan 7, 2021 5:38 PM

Jan 2020
Intense problems from the beginning, it seems that it was the other side of the coin of what was seen today in the other version! And this is only about to get worse with that advance, what a sick and neglected body

Humans may have two eyes, but we can only see one thing
Don't use the scores to see an anime
ええい! なんでも やって やる
Jan 7, 2021 5:39 PM

Jul 2012
Man, what an interesting setting! Really liked this first episode, even more than the original series' one!

Btw Junya Enoki sure is bussy this season lol
Jan 7, 2021 6:13 PM

Jan 2011
god i don't know what to do on thursdays now lol there's too many genres from super comfy with laid back camp and 5toubun to back to back cells at work and Higurashi it's serving me some serious whiplash saving the non darker than black version for tomorrow.

but i'm ready to learn again granted we started off with something we all know is awful but some people still do it because they can't help it but yeah that was brutal on this super unhealthy body

seeing how battle harden the little workers are is scary lol
Jan 7, 2021 6:17 PM
Apr 2020
Wow! Sugoi! This is extremely fascinating! First episode is really great! This is the complete opposite of the Cells at Work! world, a chaotic one. So everyone, take care of yourself!

Jan 7, 2021 7:05 PM

Nov 2012
I'll be honest in saying this, I wasn't a big fan of the original Cells at Work anime (not even watching S2 from this season).

Only reason I'm watching this one is cause I heard it darker than the original series and well cause the white blood cell waifu. Idk if I'll stick with this till the end or end up dropping this.
Jan 7, 2021 7:16 PM

Feb 2017
Thanks to the fact that all the stars aligned we can enjoy two versions of the same story simultaneously, but I still wonder if it was better that the very soft version comes out earlier since at least that one cannot get as sinister as the version that I'm commenting on right now. From the very first minutes one can realize by the very acting of the characters that everything is different in the body that we are visiting this time.

I think it was a quiet but adequate beginning since we started with one of the most deeply rooted vices of the modern man, but this is just the start and I would like to see as the episodes go by how much this version can scale in its themes.
Jan 7, 2021 8:11 PM

Aug 2013
Only watched 1 episode of the original and put it on hold.

Been looking forward to this and it did not let me down. So much better I'm instantly craving for more.
Jan 7, 2021 8:25 PM

Oct 2008
feels like a much darker version and the person is much more toxic and has a lot of vices and probably a fatass!
VA Enoki Junya has a lot is really busy this season huh!
and narrator this time is TsudaKen! nice!
5/5.

Jan 7, 2021 8:25 PM

Feb 2013
FMmatron said:
Sondfer said:

Well this is only the beginning, now alcohol and everything else will pile up.

Abusing P.E.D/steroids would be nice as well xD

The dude here is a middle aged slob, I don't see why he'd use any of those.

Ryuseishun said:
It’s basically the same premises as the parent story but given a slight Dorohedoro-like sense of crudeness and dreariness. Part of me wants to believe MAPPA animates this. The art quality choice is likely intentionally implemented, but it lacks a genuine depth in terms of soul and identity. Feels like a dark shounen with some feeling of “wanting to find that light at the end of the tunnel” bit.

Heavily prefer this over s2 of the OG, which seems very lacking in charm now.

It's still the exact same series though. If it doesn't have charm now, then it never did. Or perhaps it just wore off because of prolonged status quo adherence.
gedataJan 8, 2021 12:10 PM
Jan 7, 2021 9:31 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
the army of female white blood cells gives me life<33333
Jan 7, 2021 10:19 PM

Oct 2017
Cells at Work original = body of a child.
Cells at Work Code Black = body of a grown adult.

The anime even mention in the past this body isn't like that.

Is kinda ironic really, we got so much shit going on once we grow up.
So much stress/ depression/ anxiety/bad habit/ lack of sleep/unhealthy diet.
Jan 7, 2021 10:20 PM

Apr 2012
The way I interpret both series is that...
- The original takes place within the body of an innocent child probably an elementary student. Which explains the naive positively surrounding the host body with everything sparkly clean and efficient. Problems are quickly resolved effectively.
- The Code Black version is probably a full grown adult most likely a salary man who hates his life. Everything is run down and falling apart with minimal workers that are clearly overworked and are either irritable or indifferent. The "outdated" training video was a great representation of tbody's former shell of what it was.
Janethan23Jan 7, 2021 10:48 PM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jan 7, 2021 10:21 PM

Oct 2017
Janethan23 said:
- The original takes place within the body of an innocent child probably an elementary student.
- The Code Black version is probably a full grown adult most likely a salary man who hates his life.

Exactly my thought lol.

Black = body of a corporate slave.
Jan 7, 2021 10:49 PM

Jan 2013
90/10 they're censoring the fanservice shown later (bare breasts, panties), big boob cleavage may be as far as they'll go.
Jan 7, 2021 10:55 PM

Apr 2012
Ventus_S said:
Janethan23 said:
- The original takes place within the body of an innocent child probably an elementary student.
- The Code Black version is probably a full grown adult most likely a salary man who hates his life.

Exactly my thought lol.

Black = body of a corporate slave.

Lol... I was in the middle of updating my post when you quoted me. Here's the complete thought I had in mind..

- The original takes place within the body of an innocent child probably an elementary student. Which explains the naive positively surrounding the host body with everything sparkly clean and efficient. Problems are quickly resolved effectively.
- The Code Black version is probably a full grown adult most likely a salary man who hates his life. Everything is run down and falling apart with minimal workers that are clearly overworked and are either irritable or indifferent. The "outdated" training video was a great representation of tbody's former shell of what it was.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jan 7, 2021 11:22 PM
Jan 2018
damn this episode highkey making me feel guilty for mistreating my body so often, anyways really enjoyed the darker concept of this, altho the original was fun this honestly seems more in line with humanity today and the shit we put our bodies through
Jan 8, 2021 12:26 AM

Jun 2019
I'll try to get enough sleep now. This episode made me feel guilty.
Jan 8, 2021 1:28 AM

Oct 2016
Damn, that was great. I am definitely liking this more than the original, not that I don't like the original, but this is just more interesting. While the original is good for relaxing.

People need to watch this show, I am sure it will make people conscious about their health. Platelets are now delinquents lmao and obligatory white blood cell is hot. Looking forward to the next episode.

If any of you drinking or smoking excessively out there, it's time to stop. Not just for yourself but, for the waifus living inside of you.
Jan 8, 2021 1:45 AM

Jun 2013
Hmm the white cell had huge boobs not sure how to feel
Jan 8, 2021 2:34 AM

May 2018
PS
Maybe it would be a good idea this show to have a warning sign "Hypochondriacs, stay away from this at any cost!".
Jan 8, 2021 2:37 AM
Jun 2017
I've first watch the second season of the cells at work before this one...

and well i love this cells at work black version as this time it deals with some harmful things that can happen within a body due to lifestyle of a person...

the first episode deals with stress and smoking...

love this one... as it simplified what could happen to someone who intake cigarettes and also while on stress..
Jan 8, 2021 2:49 AM
Apr 2019
I already feel bad for RBC baldy senpai and that Touka's brother RBC. Strong start, obviously better that the original Hataraku saibou s2 start. Hope it's getting better, darker, and full of depair like this eps lol
Jan 8, 2021 3:24 AM
May 2010
FuMomo-kun said:
I just watched episode 1 of the main series' second season, and this was so different from it that it was funny in its own way.

The platelets weren't cute at all. lol

I like that we are now following a guy. He's kind of attractive.

The owner of this anime's body must be extremely unhealthy. The blood vessels were so dirty!

I didn't know nicotine attached to haemoglobins. That was actually scary to learn.

It's only episode 1, and I already want to take care of my health.

It's not nicotine, but actually carbon monoxide in smoke that binds to haemoglobin. Nicotine is the substance that causes addiction due to triggering the acetylcholine receptors in nerve cells which result in a temporary feeling of pleasure.

But man, that was depressing. If this can turn people off from smoking, that's great; nobody should be doing this kind of shit to your own body, as well as others' through second-hand smoke.
Jan 8, 2021 3:33 AM

Aug 2019
feel like this spin off might hit close to home to some people
Jan 8, 2021 4:35 AM
Feb 2017
Animation was clean af in this episode Tokyo Revengers is in good hands
Jan 8, 2021 4:46 AM

Nov 2016
gedata said:
FMmatron said:

Abusing P.E.D/steroids would be nice as well xD

The dude here is a middle aged slop, I don't see why he'd use any of those.

Just wishful thinking, the idea seems too far-fetched anyway.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 8, 2021 5:01 AM

Jun 2019
This was really good. Seeing the body in bad condition and what the cells have to do in that state. This was terrifying to watch.
Jan 8, 2021 5:28 AM

Dec 2010
Kana-chan isn't here but at least Yoko Hikasa (Densetsu no Baba) is here to take her place.

Really nice first episode. It is everything people said about it. A body where every single "bad" thing can happen will happen.
Jan 8, 2021 7:02 AM
Apr 2019
This was such as solid start for a first episode. The stark difference between the world of the other Hataraku Saibou are great. I would like to see how various pathogens works upon this setting.
Jan 8, 2021 7:04 AM
Sep 2019
That was a really interesting first episode to Code Black, I might like what else this series has to offer.

Plus am I the only one that thinks that the White Blood Cell looks like Erza from Fairy Tail, because I feel like that there are similarities between the two characters and I'm the only one that thinks this.
Jan 8, 2021 7:07 AM

Dec 2017
Wonderful, it is something that is really worth watching. It gave me smiles, made me apprehensive, moved me a lot, and with a rich content. If it's like this in the first episode, imagine what it will be like in the next ones. It looks like a ten, it looks like the best of the season.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 8, 2021 7:12 AM
Jul 2018
FuMomo-kun said:
I just watched episode 1 of the main series' second season, and this was so different from it that it was funny in its own way.

The owner of this anime's body must be extremely unhealthy. The blood vessels were so dirty!

I didn't know nicotine attached to haemoglobins. That was actually scary to learn.

It does not. When smoking, CO (carbon monoxide) is created by incomplete combustion and is then inhaled.
Jan 8, 2021 8:36 AM

Aug 2014
Damn, That was so dark it took me off guard. Looks interesting tho.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jan 8, 2021 10:55 AM

Mar 2016
l0l1n470r said:
FuMomo-kun said:

It's not nicotine, but actually carbon monoxide in smoke that binds to haemoglobin. Nicotine is the substance that causes addiction due to triggering the acetylcholine receptors in nerve cells which result in a temporary feeling of pleasure.

But man, that was depressing. If this can turn people off from smoking, that's great; nobody should be doing this kind of shit to your own body, as well as others' through second-hand smoke.

Carbon monoxide attaching to haemoglobins is even scarier! Isn't that stuff invisible and odourless?

One of my biggest fears is getting health problems through second hand smoking. lol
Jan 8, 2021 11:37 AM

Feb 2020
I literally watched the first episode of Hataraku Saibou!! before Code Black, and all I could say was ... "wow". It is insane how the atmosphere is completely different, and I loved it!!

Just a random guy who likes random stuff (ᐛ)و
Also, nice to meet you ;)
Jan 8, 2021 12:00 PM

Feb 2014
I'm not sure what plot I prefer of this spin-off, the main gritty and depressing setting, or the female WBC's massive rack. XD

Putting that aside, this first episode of Cells At Work: Black was pretty good. It showcased just how dire the whole body is in and how tough it is for the cells to do their job effectively.

Another thing I like is the visuals. While the animation is about the same as the original series, the visual design really does a great job at showcasing how gritty the setting of the insides of this body is.

Looking forward to the next episode, as I see some potential fanservice chances already. =3
Jan 8, 2021 1:35 PM
Jan 2021
im just imagine about autoimun or leukimia things, when white cells kill red cells, maybe there would be dramatic scene lol
Jan 8, 2021 2:29 PM

Jan 2012
Well this sure was different. In many ways.

And that was some huge chest ^^" Wish it wasn't so exaggerated but oh well.
Jan 8, 2021 3:12 PM

Sep 2011
Getting Tsuda as the narrator for this was such a great move and perfect contrast to Noto Mamiko in the main series. Also the OST when White Bloodcell entered was really great.
Jan 8, 2021 6:59 PM

May 2018
Jan 8, 2021 8:33 PM
Mar 2018
Watching this alongside Hataraku Saibou!! is going to be tough. What a 180

Jan 8, 2021 9:48 PM
Sep 2020
Very interesting, different from the previous series which told about a fairly healthy body, now it tells about the body of a smoker

For a start this is quite interesting
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Mar 18, 2021

160 by Beguni »»
May 27, 8:54 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 28, 2021

68 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 19, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Do you love your body?

Shizuna - Apr 8

7 by johnythepvpgod »»
Apr 12, 5:41 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Feb 25, 2021

110 by Penguinu »»
Jan 12, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 4, 2021

68 by Distrekzy »»
Sep 27, 2023 7:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.