Forum Settings
Forums

Weekly Shounen Jump Cancels 'Act-age' Serialization

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 10, 2020 10:54 AM

Mar 2015
JaVzD said:
I think that more than a decision on the part of Jump, it is a decision on the part of the artist, sincerely Jump would have continued serializing it if it generated income, but the artist surely opposed that, since it should not feel good for her to continue the work of a guy who abused women. Be that as it may, it is a shame, since because of this guy there are victims and collateral damage.

would be very bad PR move. shimabokuro (toriko author) series at the time was axed for less even it was more popular. his crime was unknowingly (allegedly) hired underage prostitute (less than 19 years old).
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 10, 2020 11:01 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Phlaryx said:
Why? Why did the writer have to throw all of this away? And for what? A few seconds of touching some young girls? Three years of hard work thrown out the FUCKING window for something stupid and petty like that? The manga was in shonen jump! It was blowing up! It was trending! It was even gonna get a stage play eventually! AND HE FUCKIN THREW ALL OF THAT AWAY! This guy had it made but he just fucked his entire career and the fans of this series. Especially the victims. When reading his comments at the end of volume one he said something along the lines of “it’s thanks to Usuzaki Sensei for bringing my sloppy story boards to life.” Nor exactly word for word but you get what I mean. I though “Gee wiz! What a humble and earnest guy!” I thought someone who could write a story this good couldn’t possibly be a bad person but I guess I’m just a bad judge of character. Like, he was completely unable to look outside of himself when he decided to feel up those girls. I’m starting to regret getting into this manga a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it but now that I know I will never get any proper closure to the series just saddens me. I hope the artist can bounce back from this soon and find more work. I love her art work and it’s a shame for such potential to be affected like this. Seriously Tatsuya Matsuki, you really FUCKED up.

If you made it to the end of my post then thank you for reading. Just wanted to put my thoughts out there before I say goodbye to this series for good. I still plan on catching up to the rest of the chapters at some point but I’m not in the head space to appreciate it right now.

Deadass. Personally I don't think I'll ever finish it. I just don't feel right or at ease to ever progress with the series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2020 11:02 AM

Apr 2016
What a damn shame. I haven't read it, but based on the synopsis looked interesting compared to other WSJ properties. Hope the middle school students get therapy or something. Hate when something liked by millions gets ruined by a shitty person.
Aug 10, 2020 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
Now we wait to see if the artist gets another shot at fame.
Aug 10, 2020 11:31 AM

Jun 2014
Imagine minding your own business and keeping yourself out of trouble while you diligently work on the art of a successful manga series that was most likely going to gain even more exposure and success through eventual anime adaptation(s), stage plays, etc., and then boom, you're out of a job because the dickhead you draw for let his hard on for underage girls get the best of him.

I hope the artist can find more opportunities and success soon.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 10, 2020 12:02 PM
Back to anime

Jun 2017
Well that was seriously dumb of him to do, I'm really pissed about this article btw (though I wholly understand Shueisha's position in this and truly do feel bad for the illustrator getting dragged into this)..>:I
Aug 10, 2020 12:46 PM
May 2016
this is depressing. I was just thinking about how this series could be a potential legend, and it just sucks when these things happen.

Why do some people(matsuki) have to ruin good things for others. Have respect for your career buddy, and don't do stupid cr*p that could ruin it because all that says is that you didn't care about your work if you're willing to screw up THIS much
Aug 10, 2020 1:11 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Let me be clear, the author's actions were wrong and deserve to be punished. My question is why modern society feels the need to punish people for their crimes more than once. He has been arrested and will be punished by the criminal justice system, so why is their some social duty to fire him? Is the company just couching their need to fire him since he'll be stuck in jail and can't work in terms of social responsibility to look good? At any rate, modern society needs to find a way to extend some degree of mercy to the transgressor instead of forcing them to carry their albatrosses for the remainder of their lives.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Aug 10, 2020 2:31 PM

Jun 2015
gaussian_ said:
Let me be clear, the author's actions were wrong and deserve to be punished. My question is why modern society feels the need to punish people for their crimes more than once. He has been arrested and will be punished by the criminal justice system, so why is their some social duty to fire him? Is the company just couching their need to fire him since he'll be stuck in jail and can't work in terms of social responsibility to look good? At any rate, modern society needs to find a way to extend some degree of mercy to the transgressor instead of forcing them to carry their albatrosses for the remainder of their lives.

Sometimes I ask myself that question too. But if I have to give an answer, I guess it's to show an example so it can act as a deterrent. To say it sucks is an understatement that he'll be carrying that permanent black mark for the rest of his life, but he did also caused a lot of grief from Usazaki and Shonen Jump as well as the two girls he harassed.
Aug 10, 2020 2:35 PM

Oct 2015
I did hear about this. Pretty crazy stuff.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Aug 10, 2020 2:47 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Pikmin404 said:
Sometimes I ask myself that question too. But if I have to give an answer, I guess it's to show an example so it can act as a deterrent. To say it sucks is an understatement that he'll be carrying that permanent black mark for the rest of his life, but he did also caused a lot of grief from Usazaki and Shonen Jump as well as the two girls he harassed.

If it is an effective deterrent, then maybe it is worth it, but a lot of harsh punishments/practices in the past were explained as deterrents but didn't work (e.g. hanging people for stealing, leaving the corpse hanging on the gallows, cutting off hands for stealing, etc.) I personally feel that the better deterrent would be to have people rejoin society so that their voices of how they overcame their criminal tendencies could be heard (of course, that does depend on the person being actually penitent.) Have him spend some time in jail while helping him work through his sexual issues with a psychologist, then release him and let him go back to his job while doing community service trying to help others with these issues from escalating as he did. In time, just let him leave it completely in his past if he wants. This is sort of an AA model, where the crime is treated as a mental health issue / addiction. There are a few crimes, like murder, where I wouldn't support this model, but I think it would do more good than having a single moment where everyone looks and says to themselves "Thank goodness I'm not that guy" then promptly forgets about the whole thing.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Aug 10, 2020 2:59 PM

Feb 2011
I hope that the artist is able to move on from this, I feel really bad for her.
眠れないのは君のせい
Aug 10, 2020 3:20 PM

Feb 2019
It is so sad that a good manga has to end abruptly because of the author, but even sadder knowing that it was a manga so unique that triumphed on Weekly Shounen Jump, because is very rare the combination of leading female protagonists and acting in a magazine where the most common and popular stories are nekketsu series about a hotblood shonen boy :(
Aug 10, 2020 3:37 PM
Oct 2018
Wait an absolute shame i was really going to start reading this. I dont see any reason why you would do that you even had a good enough series to be number 1 but its gone too sad it really was something else.
Aug 10, 2020 3:45 PM

Jun 2015
gaussian_ said:
Pikmin404 said:

If it is an effective deterrent, then maybe it is worth it, but a lot of harsh punishments/practices in the past were explained as deterrents but didn't work (e.g. hanging people for stealing, leaving the corpse hanging on the gallows, cutting off hands for stealing, etc.) I personally feel that the better deterrent would be to have people rejoin society so that their voices of how they overcame their criminal tendencies could be heard (of course, that does depend on the person being actually penitent.) Have him spend some time in jail while helping him work through his sexual issues with a psychologist, then release him and let him go back to his job while doing community service trying to help others with these issues from escalating as he did. In time, just let him leave it completely in his past if he wants. This is sort of an AA model, where the crime is treated as a mental health issue / addiction. There are a few crimes, like murder, where I wouldn't support this model, but I think it would do more good than having a single moment where everyone looks and says to themselves "Thank goodness I'm not that guy" then promptly forgets about the whole thing.

You're definitely right. I wish it was like that as well.
Aug 10, 2020 7:40 PM

Mar 2015
gaussian_ said:

would be bad PR move to see that they endorse a child molester as their line up. as simple as that.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 10, 2020 8:29 PM

Mar 2008
I wonder in such situations if mangaka ever self publish their work? I would be pretty amused by that especially if it's someone producing while in prison. Has that happened before?
Aug 10, 2020 11:12 PM

Apr 2020
Looks like this idiot couldn't differentiate from reality and fiction. Too bad for the artist though but she's young, 22, and extremely talented, I'm sure she'll be given more opportunities in the near future.
Aug 10, 2020 11:31 PM
Jan 2016
I'm disgusted by the writers actions but I hope people don't take this as an opportunity to label all mangaka as pedos because there are a lot of them that are just regular people some married, some dating, and some that just shut themselves indoors and don't bug anyone.
I'd rather die a free man then live under the rules of idiots
Aug 10, 2020 11:33 PM

Oct 2018
This is incredibly disappointing. I was contemplating picking up the manga since the plot seemed interesting and the art was gorgeous but then I hear this news. I hope the victims are fine and that the artist gets a better person to work with since her art is stunning. But seriously FUCK the author.
I just cannot comprehend what was going on in his mind. To get so successful with your manga nad even more success to come, he just goes out of his way and squanders it all to cop a feel? I really hope this guy rots away in jail.
I guess I will still check out the manga since I have heard a lot of people saying that act age was really good. Too bad it ends in the middle of nowhere but that's that I guess.
Aug 11, 2020 2:25 AM

Feb 2012
Well RIP, been following this since the incident and it was just a matter of time before they cancelled the series. How you gonna grope some HS girls butts in broad daylight.

He gone man, he gone.
Aug 11, 2020 3:29 AM

Jun 2017
NGL I've never heard of this manga and now I'm curious enough to go out and read it

that aside, i hope this isn't a false-accusation situation and may the right things occur accordingly
Aug 11, 2020 3:33 AM

Aug 2015
I was thinking that the illustrator might continue it themselves.. but i guess that's not the case.
Condolences to the people who love this manga. I was thinking of reading it since a lot of people seems to say it was good. :0

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Aug 11, 2020 7:42 AM
Jul 2018
Never heard of it before, but I hope the artist finds another job soon. Her art is pretty good imo.
Aug 11, 2020 10:36 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
I feel incredibly sad for the illustrator. She and any assistants better get another chance or good support. And I mean GOOD support. Nothing half assed. A lot of people might choose not to work with her over this stupid writer just by association. So dumb.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Aug 11, 2020 11:52 AM

Aug 2010
Welp, my dream of this getting an anime adaptation is down the gutter. Author is a trash human.

This was one of my favorite on-going manga, so this sucks. I feel bad for the illustrator. :/ I hope she gets more work in the future.
Aug 11, 2020 11:58 AM

Dec 2012
Man, if this happened in America, then Hollywood would be canceled completely.
Aug 11, 2020 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
I've been wondering which manga is gonna squeeze into that slot now...

At least he did not deny anything, but he did say the accusations are mostly correct so I'm curious as to the exact truth. I'm also pretty sure Usazaki has some strange stories about this guy. Hope she doesn't still need to testify in court or something.
Aug 11, 2020 5:05 PM
Jul 2020
I really wanted to read this very good piece of work but it is going to be a plot hole because author is just a pedophile touching girls at my age like FUCK the author.

I wonder what charges go against him and the artist should have a different author than him to make the series go on and on again.
WeebSl8yerAug 11, 2020 7:24 PM
Aug 11, 2020 5:19 PM

Sep 2019
So close to the dream. He we always be remembered as a hero.
Aug 11, 2020 6:51 PM

Mar 2015
MiddleClassWeeb said:
I wonder what charges go against him
he charged with the child protection act, with minimum sentence is 6 month and up to 10 years. for the context, jail mean social death in japan, so unless it's serious crime, usually there is no minimum sentence. however, what this guy done is considered serious. that's different than watsuki or shimabokurou which both charged with law that has no minimum sentence.

MiddleClassWeeb said:
the artist should have a different author than him to make the series go on and on again.

here is a thing with japanese Intelectual Property (IP) practice. most of time, IP is fully owned by the mangaka, which mean the duo has full shared ownership. so unless matsuki agree to sell his IP, the artist agree to continue, and then there is publisher willing to purchase the IP, it's not going to happen. nobody want to get guilty by affiliation so publisher and artist has already distance themself from matsuki.
Aug 11, 2020 7:34 PM
Jul 2020
Toarujisuru said:
I feel incredibly sad for the illustrator. She and any assistants better get another chance or good support. And I mean GOOD support. Nothing half assed. A lot of people might choose not to work with her over this stupid writer just by association. So dumb.

I agree with u but I wonder what relationship does the author and illustrator have.
Aug 11, 2020 9:19 PM

Sep 2018
Oh disgusting, my best wishes to the illustrator and the fans of the manga.
Aug 12, 2020 3:23 AM

Sep 2016
It doesn't matter to me what crime anyone commits, I don't really like to see any series get cancelled it hurts my heart.
Aug 12, 2020 4:00 AM

Mar 2015
MiddleClassWeeb said:
Toarujisuru said:

I agree with u but I wonder what relationship does the author and illustrator have.
nothing? they were paired up by publisher (editor).

RiseUp_SS-kun said:
It doesn't matter to me what crime anyone commits, I don't really like to see any series get cancelled it hurts my heart.

Aug 12, 2020 4:37 AM

Oct 2010
Sucks for the fans I guess, it had some following, it was kinda popular. Weird that I don't see any haters here like on the Arms thread.
Aug 12, 2020 11:04 AM

Mar 2014
Honestly devastated by this news, I feel bad for the victims and the artist.
Aug 12, 2020 3:38 PM

Mar 2014
There it goes in the dustbin of history a excellent manga, with touching arcs and characters.
Hope the artist get's a new job soon in the market. She's talented as hell and did nothing wrong.

For those who liked the Acting setting for a Drama with female lead: go read Kasane. Bonus: It's finished.

RiseUp_SS-kun said:

Anime community was a mistake...
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Aug 12, 2020 11:28 PM

Jun 2020
poor illustrator, author is a POS
Aug 13, 2020 12:14 PM

Oct 2010
The worst part of this is how if the mangaka was female and the students were male, nobody would bat an eyelash and would celebrate it.
Aug 13, 2020 3:00 PM

Mar 2015
VyseLegendaire said:
The worst part of this is how if the mangaka was female and the students were male, nobody would bat an eyelash and would celebrate it.
if the victim reported, it will be processed. the law didn't mention about gender specific.
Aug 14, 2020 3:12 PM
Oct 2015
Boutroux said:
Not at all surprised that Weekly Shōnen Jump keeps bringing in paedophile after paedophile.

lmao the age of consent isn't even that high in japan.
the author of toriko didn't even serve jail time, the only reason why he was arrested was cuz prostitution was illegal, not because sex with a 16 year old was.

also the author of Rurouni Kenshin didn't get jail time ether, because the material he owned were only made illegal recently, they were actually legal for quite some time and only became legal afterwards and he didn't get rid of it in time,
he was only fined around $2000 and he is STILL working on the series btw.

Aug 14, 2020 3:14 PM
Oct 2015
Phlaryx said:
Why? Why did the writer have to throw all of this away? And for what? A few seconds of touching some young girls? Three years of hard work thrown out the FUCKING window for something stupid and petty like that? The manga was in shonen jump! It was blowing up! It was trending! It was even gonna get a stage play eventually! AND HE FUCKIN THREW ALL OF THAT AWAY! This guy had it made but he just fucked his entire career and the fans of this series. Especially the victims. When reading his comments at the end of volume one he said something along the lines of “it’s thanks to Usuzaki Sensei for bringing my sloppy story boards to life.” Nor exactly word for word but you get what I mean. I though “Gee wiz! What a humble and earnest guy!” I thought someone who could write a story this good couldn’t possibly be a bad person but I guess I’m just a bad judge of character. Like, he was completely unable to look outside of himself when he decided to feel up those girls. I’m starting to regret getting into this manga a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it but now that I know I will never get any proper closure to the series just saddens me. I hope the artist can bounce back from this soon and find more work. I love her art work and it’s a shame for such potential to be affected like this. Seriously Tatsuya Matsuki, you really FUCKED up.

If you made it to the end of my post then thank you for reading. Just wanted to put my thoughts out there before I say goodbye to this series for good. I still plan on catching up to the rest of the chapters at some point but I’m not in the head space to appreciate it right now.

man he was so stupid. he should have wanted for the series to finish before touching girls
or when he gets famous he would have girls throwing themselves at him
Aug 14, 2020 5:30 PM
Aug 15, 2020 12:58 AM

Dec 2008
Do not diddle kids. It's no good diddling kids.

Sad about Usazaki. Hope she gets other work too.
Aug 15, 2020 8:53 AM

Dec 2014
Real shame, I really liked the series and this was definitely not the way I imagined it ending. I can't even begin to understand what drove the author to do what he did.

I hope the illustrator's career isn't ruined by this. Good luck to her, I hope she can work on something just as good in the future.
Aug 17, 2020 6:18 AM

Mar 2015
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1295302461117337603

Official Statement on act-age volumes and plans for related content of the series.

· No more volumes will be released further. Volume 13 won't be released. Volumes 1 to 12 won't have any more prints for an indefinite period of time.
· All digital distribution of the series will stop in any bookstore, from third parties to Shonen Jump+ and Jump BOOK Store.
· For every planned project that includes applicants, merch will be shipped as scheduled even if they can be canceled.
· act-age's Official 2021 Calendar will be discontinued. All reservations in Jump Store will be refunded and other customers should contact their bookstores.
· Natsucomi's Photo Contest for act-age will be discontinued. Those selected will be able to re-entry for another series.
· Rakujou's DVD Box present in commemoration of Volume 12 release will be canceled. All winners will have a replacement product sent in compensation.
· Jump Shop's 366 Day Stickers for act-age scheduled for release on August 30th will be discontinued.
. act-age has been removed from MANGA Plus. Series doesn't appear anymore on the Manga List of the website.
. Studio Daikokuten Website has been taken down: https://shonenjump.com/studio_daikokuten
. Yonagi has been removed from Shonen Jump's Youtube Channel and every act-age video is now private and unavailable.

considering Shiro Usazaki also deleted every mention of act age in her bio, i think it's better for everyone involved to move on as soon as possible.

thanks for ruining for everyone matsuki bastard. i hope you rot in jail. and jail has no mercy for child molester.
Aug 17, 2020 10:54 AM

Aug 2010
I feel bad for the artist, but that's about it. No pity for the author.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Aug 17, 2020 11:27 AM

Jul 2019
Sad for the manga, the author to rot in prison.
Apaixonado por jogos e animes.
Aug 19, 2020 2:48 AM

Apr 2010
Bro I am tried of this cancel culture. Ya the author fucked up and will be punished accordingly, but does jump really need to scrub the series off the face of the earth? I don't agree with that one bit.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Q2 2024 Anime & Manga Licenses [Update 6/14]

Snow - Apr 5

6 by Snow »»
4 minutes ago

» 'Tokyo Revengers' Gets Anime Sequel

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

18 by Entity72 »»
60 minutes ago

» 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets Second Anime Season

DatRandomDude - Jun 13

22 by SkiesOfBlue »»
3 hours ago

» Video Game 'Guilty Gear: Strive' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Jun 13

28 by 88cric »»
5 hours ago

» 'Boku no Tsuma wa Kanjou ga Nai' Unveils Additional Pair of Cast

Hyperion_PS - Jun 4

4 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.