Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 18, 2020 11:33 PM
Mar 2015
Great job Shigure stirs the pot bringing Akito into their midst Torhu is a wonderful person to sooth Yuki of the despair he feels
May 19, 2020 12:08 AM

Nov 2018
This week's episode gave us a lot of emotion and Yuki's scene of him crying with Tohru at the end of the episode was such a good scene for the feels. The insert song made the scene that much better also.

Akito is really just the kind of asshole you don't want to be around but things are being stirred up now that she is there and so is Kureno. Shigure is also scheming something up lol.

There was also a Kyo x Tohru moment in this episode that was really nice and heartwarming. Also, Tohru is worrying about everyone's parents so she decided not to bring up her mom in front of them so she wouldn't hurt them because not all of them have good parents. Can't wait for Season 2, Episode 8 next week!

[font="\"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.[/font]

[/center]
May 19, 2020 2:46 AM
May 2018
Wow, last scene hit differently than in the manga; what a gorgeous scene. It was emotional in the manga but with the animation, it also became beautiful. I almost cried. I'm glad they translated Yuki's last line correctly, back in the day wrong manga translations confused some fans.

Hatori's scalpel scene was a nice addition to the anime.

Kyo's scenes with Tohru tells us that he is always watching and observing Tohru. To me, he is the only one who really understands Tohru.

I like how they mentioned Ren. Although we won't meet her for a long time, it is nice that they give hints about her.

It is one of the best episodes that released so far.
May 19, 2020 2:50 AM

Feb 2014
Thanks to Akito's arrival, everyone's emotions have been stirred up a little. This was clearly evident on Momiji's face. The way he mentioned how he couldn't wait to go back to Tohru, while wearing a sad smiling expression on his face, showcases how much he wasn't looking forward to seeing Akito.

Neither was Kisa, since she was worried that Akito might lash out on Tohru the same way that Akito did to Kisa in the past. Poor girl. =(

Yuki was the most effected by Akito's arrival, though, which was expected since he's been traumatised by Akito's constant abuse for most of his life. After meeting up with Tohru by chance on the beach under the beautiful shooting stars, he was finally able to open up the lid of his feelings to Tohru, followed by a surprise kiss on her forehead while crying at the same time.

The whole directing of this scene was brilliant, as was the special ED song that played, too. Looking forward to seeing how the next episode adapts the next few chapters of this arc. =)
May 19, 2020 3:07 AM

Jul 2017
The past of Yuki, reminiscing his memories of his first love meeting young Tohru and the love-hate relationship of the manipulative Akito. What a boy, treading between the lines of heaven and hell.

Congrats Hiro, another family member's on the way. And eccentric Momiji chances splitting watermelons because it's a joyous season. For Tohru though, Hiro's words still sting like a bee, and even worse, don't ever try to break a watermelon by mere hands.

To get to know them better though, Tohru inquires about the Soma members' biological families (or rather, Kyou and Yuki's). Pretty understood on Kyou's part, but Yuki's a deep black hole.

And to think that Akito would personally come over with Hatori (the usual master's pet) and Kureno (the unfamiliar figure) unannounced, it's like a premonitioned "disaster" waiting to happen. All's an ordeal for the Soma members, an ordeal that they didn't wish to see happen once again. And at least, with what we've seen of the exchange between Shigure and Akito, both know how to play at their own game, and things will only stir up to be even more heart-wrenching as time passes by.

The highlight of this episode being the ending moments of Yuki and Tohru, opening "the lid" (which was his heart that's locked in trembling fear due to Akito's manipulation), and FINALLY confessing his memories to the unsuspecting Tohru from cradle to life, from young to now. She has been his dear support, and that to me, oozes the charm of how Fruits Basket is in the romance sense: fruits that are hardened on the outside, but fresh and sweet on the inside, a moniker that tells the true tales of it all.

Just an amazing episode throughout.
May 19, 2020 3:11 AM
Apr 2020
Another beautiful episode. The ending was so sad yet wonderfully done and heartwarming. Yuki has my whole heart and soul. And don’t even get me started on how my heart jumped when he leaned in but then, nope, forehead.

Finally Hatori is back! Missed him x Shigure hehe.

Another episode leaving lots with questions. Who the heck is dis brown haired dude. Whomst is Ren? Why Akita hella horny like that? What’s up with the “My mom killed-“ What lid? And of course, the big big question: The fuvk is Mr. Shigure planning?

Series is getting deep and m y s t e r I o u s. Lovin it!
May 19, 2020 3:56 AM
May 2016
Tellatez said:

Finally, thanks for this information
May 19, 2020 4:42 AM

Oct 2011
kudos for Yuki's voice actor... the way he delivered that last line broke my heart
May 19, 2020 5:01 AM
Aug 2019
Fedezis1 said:
Tellatez said:

Finally, thanks for this information

Wait no actually there's one more left I just rechecked the manga

May 19, 2020 5:36 AM

Jan 2019
Phobez said:
Still quite a mystery what Shigure's motives are. I don't think it's anything completely evil or anything, but maybe more like a whatever-it-takes approach? Regardless of the consequences for others?

Akito was really intimidating here. The music helped too. She just gives me the intimidating and creepy vibes. The Soma family is really abusive, especially the closer you get to the top i.e. Akito...

Lots of emotional moments this episode. Tohru wondering whether her talking a lot about her late mom hurt the others. Still find it difficult to imagine how most of the Zodiacs basically had no moms with their absence and lack of care. Good thing at least Hiro's mom seems to be fine. "I love goats" though, that's one strong and kind mom! So how did he end up being such a brat lol

Kyo continues to show how perceptive he is of Tohru. I like how they've become so close like this. But it seems Kyo lied about what happened to his mom, saying she got into an accident when we know she committed suicide.

And what caught me by surprise was that last scene on the beach. It was beautiful and very emotional. It seems in the past, Yuki would've crumbled upon Akito doing something like that. But now he knows that he's not useless or worthless, because Tohru has shown him that. That kiss on the forehead and the tears. That was just so beautiful. Everything about it was perfect: the music, the setting, the dialogue.

"That's because you're like the sky. Because you're... so dear to me."

Looks like we're headed towards more conflict. I'm on the edge of my seat here waiting to find out what everything is all about (Shigure's scheming, Akito's motivations, what Yuki's gonna do, etc.).
He probably became a brat because he was spoiled lol
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
May 19, 2020 5:37 AM

Jul 2014
It was plain to see that Shigure bringing Akito along would stir up a lot of issues and emotions, and so it swiftly proved. Still not quite sure what Shigure's really after, but I'm eager to see him earn some form of comeuppance already, even if just for his close relationship with Akito if nothing else. Also, as emotional as the ending with Yuki was, I may be just dense but I'm really not getting what he's actually saying (i.e. it seems like he's leaving while still protesting against Akito's control. what?).
May 19, 2020 6:09 AM

Dec 2016
Kyo's kindness towards Tohru was very sweet <3

When I see Akito on scene, I sense bad news >_< Hopping Akito doesn't do anything bad to those children.

The ending scene with Yuki and Tohru was very beautiful ;-; Remarkable episode!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
May 19, 2020 6:33 AM

Sep 2017
Each time he appears on screen, I really want to slap the shit out of Akito
May 19, 2020 8:32 AM
Sep 2019
OMG YUKI AH

BEST EPISODE EVER????

MY HEART AHHHHHH
May 19, 2020 8:39 AM
Jan 2020
Can we all just pause and appreciate how precious Hiro's mother is? :)
May 19, 2020 8:40 AM
Nov 2018
I am a little confused, why is he sad that Tohru is dear to him?
May 19, 2020 9:25 AM

Apr 2016
Yuki's desire to be needed by someone is so relatable
May 19, 2020 9:37 AM

Nov 2008
vangieee said:

He's sad because he loves her but knows he can't make her his. That's why he compares her to the beautiful sky. You cannot actually obtain the sky.

May 19, 2020 9:39 AM
Nov 2018
[quote=Chiibi message=59834768]
vangieee said:

He's sad because he loves her but knows he can't make her his. That's why he compares her to the beautiful sky. You cannot actually obtain the sky.
Chiibi said:
vangieee said:

I see, thanks so much for the clarification. he can’t make her his bc of the curse right
May 19, 2020 12:56 PM

Sep 2015
ShinYabaBaga said:
Can we all just pause and appreciate how precious Hiro's mother is? :)

Hiro’s mom is best Sohma mom! Shes fantastic.
May 19, 2020 1:20 PM

Jun 2014
svttaejin7 said:

<CUT>
Another episode leaving lots with questions. Who the heck is dis brown haired dude. Whomst is Ren? Why Akita hella horny like that? What’s up with the “My mom killed-“ What lid? And of course, the big big question: The fuvk is Mr. Shigure planning?

Series is getting deep and m y s t e r I o u s. Lovin it!

The brown haired dude is Kureno, the guy Tooru's friend Uotani likes (episode 5). You will find out who is Ren a lot later. You'll also learn more about Akito's and Shigure's reasons a lot later. Kyou didn't want to say that his mom killed herself, so he said she was killed in an accident. The lid on the box of feelings they don't want to feel yet. Yuki mentioned it before (episode 4 I think) and both he and Tooru have that box with the lid.
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
May 19, 2020 2:05 PM

Apr 2016
Looks like Kureno is supposed to be what Yuki COULD have become had Shigure not rescued him from being locked in the room. Completely obedient to Akito, tolerates anything, with no self respect whatsoever. A slave. And yet... why did Kureno leave Akito's side to go wander around town and bump into Arisa? Twice? He even expressed feelings for Arisa with his "almost kiss". Feels contradictory.

Good thing Haru came along. Given Hattori's and Kureno's inaction to save Yuki from the dark room or to save Kisa from being beaten when Hiro revealed his feelings to Akito, Haru may very well be the only one to step up when things get physical. Maybe Akito is smart enough not to do that in Haru's presence. I don't think they have anything to say that would cause Akito to go ballistic right now. We'll see.

Cool to see Hattori again. One of my favorite characters. Hope we get to see him have fun chilling out here and not just super serious for the whole time.
May 19, 2020 5:47 PM

Jan 2019
Yuki just seems so broken down as a person, and Tohru builds him up in a way that no one else in his life does.

Also, maybe an unpopular opinion, but at least in this episode, Kyo kinda has an ugly smile. Looks way more attractive while he's brooding.
May 19, 2020 7:48 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Damn. I've always been strongly Team Kyo, but that end scene made me hurt for Yuki so bad.

I have a very very bad pit in my stomach. I hope they all return safe and sound.

Curious if people know what gender Akito is in this reboot. I know generally Akito's gender/sex has been vague; Although I thought Akito was a female, but maybe I'm getting confused with the old version; subs called Akito a he though.

Also really really love the new ED. Very nicely mixed in this ep
May 20, 2020 3:58 AM
Dec 2019
Question : Akito is a male or female?
May 20, 2020 6:30 AM

May 2015
The whole Akito thing is soooo weird. I know that there is supposed to be a reason for this behaviour and why all of them including adults listen to him, but right now it's all seems very overdramatic.

Regarding ships in this series, I just don't know. I like Kyo and Yuki equally and their interactions/chemistry with Tohru are equally likeable. Well, I'll try not to dwell on it much and just see how everything unfolds.
May 20, 2020 7:29 AM

Jan 2019
I freaking got goosebumps, this episode hit my right at my core
[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] aa[/font]

May 20, 2020 12:15 PM

Jun 2017
That last scene was touching and Yuki's words were so deep and poetic that it really nailed to what he's going through.

"That's because you're just like this sky. I'm so sad...because you're...so dear to me."🥰

I'd still ship Kyou of course. Nothing's changed. But I got to admit, this scene moved me.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
May 20, 2020 1:36 PM

Jun 2014
TrisEverdeen said:

Curious if people know what gender Akito is in this reboot. I know generally Akito's gender/sex has been vague; Although I thought Akito was a female, but maybe I'm getting confused with the old version; subs called Akito a he though.

nikkurai9999 said:
Question : Akito is a male or female?

It gets found out much later in the manga. If you REALLY need to know, read the spoiler on Akito's MAL page. https://myanimelist.net/character/374/Akito_Souma When it says ''anime version'' in the spoiler, it means the old anime. The new anime is supposed to be the same as the manga.
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
May 20, 2020 1:45 PM
Sep 2012
I loved this ep, but am kinda confused because of the ending scene. I read the manga 5 years ago, so maybe I just remember it wrong, or it's the first time I'm really investing in Yuki (as I always really shipped KyouXTohru). Or maybe Yuki is just a more relatable character now that I'm older.
So to the manga readers, what do you think?
May 20, 2020 2:14 PM

Jun 2008
Momiji's face when he said that he wanted to go back home was heartbreaking.
Hiro's mom gets the award for being the first openly super supportive mom.
Why Kagura and the sparkling snake were not invited, bah.

Kyo was wonderful this episode and I'm so sorry for Yuki T__T

ワンダーランド花 ♥

May 20, 2020 5:56 PM
Apr 2019
I've been watching this anime on and off, and it's been years since I reread the manga. Having said that, this episode was simply beautiful. It means so much that they've put effort into making this adpatation as heartfelt and as genuine as it actually is.

-"What I have to do, and what I should do. It's so simple...but maybe because it's so simple, that's why it's so difficult"

-"Because you're like that sky..."

-it's also nice to see that although Hiro is such a brat, he's trying to become more emotionally intellegent. I like seeing his regret...hopefully he'll become more responsible with his mouth in the future

aplacebeyondMAL said:
Also, maybe an unpopular opinion, but at least in this episode, Kyo kinda has an ugly smile. Looks way more attractive while he's brooding.

You're not the only one! Although I pretty much hate how Kyou has been animated from the get go. In the manga, specially in the middle, he's freaking georgous...but none of that is present in the anime! I think they've made his eyes too small? and his hair is textureless and bland. (just to say, I also dislike a lot of instances of how Tohru has been animates, and not keen on Arisa either. Everyone else seems fine though, and I think they did a particularly good job on Yuki and Haru)

mijnster said:
I loved this ep, but am kinda confused because of the ending scene. I read the manga 5 years ago, so maybe I just remember it wrong, or it's the first time I'm really investing in Yuki (as I always really shipped KyouXTohru). Or maybe Yuki is just a more relatable character now that I'm older.

I think what it was (and I get this impression from both the anime and the manga) was that

"What I have to do, and what I should do. It's so simple...but maybe because it's so simple, that's why it's so difficult"

What do we thnk he meant by this part? Is it just ...moving forward? "just" forgiving the past? Or is it something else? Does it have anything to do with
or not at all? I always got a little confused here.
fliffy_May 22, 2020 5:12 PM
May 20, 2020 10:52 PM
Jul 2018
Everyone seemed down when Akito's name was mentioned. I hate Akito.
Anyways, the ending scene was soo beautiful (and emotional). Don't know the actual meaning behind the last lines that Yuki said tho.
May 21, 2020 12:50 AM
Sep 2012
fliffy_ said:
mijnster said:

I think what it was (and I get this impression from both the anime and the manga) was that

"What I have to do, and what I should do. It's so simple...but maybe because it's so simple, that's why it's so difficult"

What do we thnk he meant by this part? Is it just ...moving forward? "just" forgiving the past? Or is it something else? Does it have anything to do with
or not at all? I always got a little confused here.

Ah, thank you for that beautifully written interpretation.

I think the part about what he should do, probably has to do with dealing with his PTSD, and becoming a more open person overall.
May 21, 2020 1:17 PM

Nov 2010
Valyrian1124 said:
Looks like Kureno is supposed to be what Yuki COULD have become had Shigure not rescued him from being locked in the room. Completely obedient to Akito, tolerates anything, with no self respect whatsoever. A slave. And yet... why did Kureno leave Akito's side to go wander around town and bump into Arisa? Twice? He even expressed feelings for Arisa with his "almost kiss". Feels contradictory.

Kureno said in the episode with Arisa that it was his day off, but he never quite knows what to do in those days cause he's used of doing what he's told. So since it was his day off, he was just wandering around and ran into Arisa both times. What comes to feelings, it was pretty much love at first sight as he loved Arisa's laugh.
May 21, 2020 1:44 PM

May 2018
wow this was a great episode. Finally Yuki is progressing romantically
May 22, 2020 6:37 AM

Jul 2009
Is it bad to wish Akito could die?!
May 22, 2020 10:37 AM

May 2018
that scene at the end with the shooting stars was so beautiful! literally at an anime movie standard in that scene wouldve preferred it if it was kyo though

uuhhhhh so much is happening! everything is piling up ts all going to erupt soon! each episode feels more darker and if just constantly feels like something bad is about to happen! aaaaaaaa its getting intense asf as we learn more and more its hfhfskhsjjhkjdsk
SeijatachiiiiMay 24, 2020 8:22 AM
May 24, 2020 6:21 AM

Sep 2011
Shigure made his move because he needs things to change if he is ever going to get what he wants, whatever it is. And I agree with Hatori, that it's better than not doing anything, but the sad part is that Akito doesn't even seem to be that interested in Shigure, maybe because he isn't as "rebellious", so the other ones are the ones who might get hurt. Again, still better than just going through the motions since they are on the way to breaking free from this cycle of abuse. Or at least I want to believe so. Akito's presence still affects Yuki too, and it would be weird if it didn't, but it did feel good to see that he wasn't left in the bad state that Akito wanted him to be. I can also now see just how important that memory of having helped Tooru in the past is. It hurt to see Kisa worried that Akito might hit Tooru like he hit her though, and I'm still not over how cowardly that was. And even Momiji who is always, at least pretending to be, cheerful got like that. Wishing he could "go back." I wonder what happened between him and Akito since he isn't liked, and I'm not even sure if that's a good or a bad thing. Akito might leave Momiji alone to ruin the life of the others, but then again, he might as well be even more merciless to someone he doesn't "like." And it seems that Kureno is nearly completely passive and submissive to Akito's will after all, and I'm not sure Tooru's 'light' can reach him if even the other members of the Zodiac don't get to see him a lot, if at all. At least I liked the moments between Tooru and Kyou, and I also like how Yuki didn't go to see Akito at all since he already had the displeasure of meeting him by accident.
May 24, 2020 7:13 AM

Sep 2018
Even this time the episode seems not enough, the ending seems to presage something not pleasant, but the most important thing is that the next episode arrives because time has flown again while watching this here. The narration although there were various comic moments, basically it had a melancholy and a sadness that left room for a few tears every now and then, from time to time I said, do not get strange ideas. The special ending of this episode is catchy.
May 25, 2020 7:52 AM

Mar 2016
Man I love how kyo is becoming less aggressive and all cutesy, its a bit annoying no one could say no to seeing Akito and were just chill to leave Tohru and Kyo but oh well. Akitos a bitch
May 25, 2020 10:35 AM

Apr 2018
Very good and emotional ep. Yuki is thankful for what Tohru has done for him, Kyo and Tohru moments, and congrats to Hiro for having a sibling.
May 25, 2020 1:15 PM

Jul 2019
When Shigure said he was only gonna take the family to greet Akito and told Tohru to stay with Kyo, I felt that. Everybody felt that
May 25, 2020 6:26 PM
Mar 2020
Wondering why they decided to make Akito a male in the anime series??

ALso damn I really thought Yuki was gonna kiss Tohru, had me shocked for a min!!!

smhh where the tohru x kyo stans @ ???
May 26, 2020 12:03 AM

Nov 2012
I keep hoping there's a reveal where Ha-kun tells everyone Akito's a woman! AND that he's been slowly poisoning Akito's sake and the witch is dead. Seriously, take out the sociopath and get a new leader.
May 29, 2020 2:34 AM

Mar 2012
Lovely episode. Really loved the scene between Tohru and and Yuki - beautiful background, beautiful colors, beautiful music, the dialogue between the two I loved it so much. This is exactly why I hate love triangles.
Jun 2, 2020 11:54 AM

May 2016
What makes me feel the best other than this kinda episode with great story,art,voice
acting,ost.

Best episode of the season for me. 10/10

Jun 11, 2020 5:23 PM

Jul 2016
Omg, that was SO beautiful. I have no words, I just feel. It's so good to see Yuki finally open up about himself and showing that to Tohru.
Jun 12, 2020 1:59 PM

Feb 2017
Great moments with both Kyo and Yuki. Beautiful stuff.

Jun 14, 2020 3:54 PM

Aug 2017
this ending scene was so heartwarming and beautifully done ;;
really solid direction for yuki being able to confront something he's been scared of/letting something go that he was bottling inside for so long.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2020

240 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 28, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2020

127 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 27, 11:42 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2020

124 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 27, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2020

106 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 27, 10:51 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2020

142 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 27, 10:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.