Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 6, 2020 3:01 AM

Dec 2019
When I was a child, probably shiki and another. Also I was very religious so the anime Beelzebub was a no go for me. I actually still haven't picked t up to this day. I should some time. I mean I'm fine with demons now- rather I love them. I love shows with demon lord protagonists like The Devil is a part timer, or yuushibu... although Maou-sama retry I did drop. I was so hyped for it, but it ended up of poor quality.

As a child so many things made me uncomfortable. Like horror, and demonic stuff in general.

Now I can take pretty much anything

Well... unless scat counts.
Jan 6, 2020 4:18 AM

Apr 2012
It's not levels of darkness which might make me uncomfortable, it's gratuity. Most typically in Madoka knock-offs. (Most definitely not in Madoka itself.)

Note that justification can be aesthetic. Vampire Princess Miyu TV is incredibly dark and not actually terribly meaningful either, but it doesn't feel gratuitous, somehow, because of how its aesthetics work.

Now and Then, Here and There is something you appreciate, rather than enjoy as such, but still, 'uncomfortable' would not be a suitable word. It's reflecting real-world problems which don't have nearly enough visibility.
Jan 6, 2020 4:41 AM
Jul 2018
I grew up watching shits like anaconda and walking dead, anime is too childish to scare me or make me uncomfortable
Jan 6, 2020 4:52 AM
Jun 2015
Texnolyze. One of the most lifeless animes I've ever seen where humanity has come to it climax of evolution and just doesn't care anymore. It's the most Nihilistic show ever and what's scary about it is that it could happen. Just a bunch of humans with no purpose only then to behave as animals and just kill each to the brink of extinction.
Jan 6, 2020 5:03 AM

Feb 2017
I don't think I've ever seen one so dark it was hard to watch. I normally like darker anime and manga. I find darker story lines more interesting. Although, not an anime, Metamorphosis was very unexpectedly dark so that took me a bit by surprise.
Jan 6, 2020 6:02 AM
Sep 2018
First time through Berserk and Devilman Crybaby. Back to back that’ll end a man’s whole career
Jan 6, 2020 7:09 AM
Jul 2018
roycedeep said:
Humble Apologies if this comment is considered Off-topic but the only Dark category which made me feel Uncomfortable at start was the manga “Dead Tube”. But I kept on continuing it, turns out I can handle such plots.

Anime which I consider being Dark are:
1. Paullea Madoka Magica
2. Overlord
3. Grasia Series
4. Higurashi Series
5. School Days
6. Re:Zero
7. Magical Girl Site
8. Akira (Movie)
9. Perfect Blue (Movie)
10. God Eater (Why? Because Episode 10)
11. Shinekai Yori

All the above 11 anime/anime movies which I mentioned are all watched and I recommend it to y’all if you haven’t watched some from it.

I mean...I think if someone has watched/read a lot of gory stuff, DeadTube shouldn't be quite as disturbing. Yes, it's the goriest thing I've read, but I think because it's such a tasteless manga, that it didn't make me feel uncomfortable that much.
Jan 6, 2020 7:38 AM

Aug 2012
The last episode of Blood-C with the killer bunnies.
Jan 6, 2020 7:52 AM

Apr 2016
I put my vote in for:
- From the New World
- Now and Then, Here and There

These titles succeeded in bringing about lots of discomfort when I watched them. Very bleak storylines and color schemes to go with them.

personal note: virtually every other title i see on this list was cringe dark, it was more of a slugfest of violence, or an undercut adaption so the impact wasnt as great. or i just havent seen the specific title :/

Sometimes you just gotta realize that you can't watch every
anime you want to. The struggle is far too real for that.
Jan 7, 2020 12:49 AM

Jul 2019
Some scenes in higurashi no naku koro ni. It just got so disturbing.
Jan 7, 2020 1:03 AM
Feb 2015
Made in Abyss and Babylon (I love babylon though)
Jan 7, 2020 4:53 PM

May 2018
probably flowers of evil...

everything made me uncomfortable, from the artstyle to the story and characters. I also feel like by it having a more realistic artstyle it felt more real which put me more on edge and made me more uncomfy.

it was so hard for me to watch... I dropped it. its a good anime, dont get me wrong, but it felt like bugs were crawling under my skin while I was watching it. just the situations the characters were in.... eughuuuhhhhhhh
I watched it until the main character was forced to go on a date with his crush, wearing her p.e uniform underneath his normal clothes in secret. When I think her name was Sawa(?) poured water over him, meaning that his crush would see him wearing her p.e kit underneath his normal clothes.

When it happened I screamed and slammed my laptop shut, I felt so full of dread for what would happen, I didn't want to know, I still dont, because Ive never watched any more. I still dont even know her reaction of anything.
Jan 7, 2020 4:59 PM

Oct 2019
Texhnolyze. That show was just pure depression.
Jan 7, 2020 5:16 PM
Sep 2017
End of Eva? Though the uncomfortableness is really the point for that show.
Jan 7, 2020 5:24 PM
Have a nice day

Apr 2017
MaskOfIce said:
As for the examples that made me uncomfortable, the fastest answer I can provide is Made in Abyss with that infamous 10th episode. I still remember where I was when I watched it and the fact that I watched it just before meeting up with friends for dinner. I was a bit off that night.

I had to take a break from the anime for a couple days after watching that episode for the first time. Can hardly wait for the pain and discomfort the next movie will have to offer.
HollaniJan 8, 2020 4:20 PM
Jan 7, 2020 5:26 PM

Sep 2018
The final arc of Grisaia s1 was pretty brutal and gross. It is about several students and a teacher wrecking a bus and trying to survive. It does not end well.
Jan 7, 2020 5:39 PM

Jul 2019
chillyvanilla said:
elfen lied was definitely it. i couldn’t make it past the 3rd episode

yes i'm glad someone said it. i was the same way, i just felt sick
Jan 7, 2020 7:01 PM

Nov 2008
Higurashi wins the Prize for 'Scariest Anime Ever Made"...for me.

And I watched Hellsing....so let's just think about that for a bit....

Made in Abyss actually did make me nauseous at one point. Still finished it though and it's still one of my favorites. xD

Jan 7, 2020 7:16 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:

Made in Abyss actually did make me nauseous at one point. Still finished it though and it's still one of my favorites. xD

I first watched Higurashi when I think I was...9? Maybe it's because I didn't completely get the plot, since I was young, because it didn't scare me. However, at the time I had only watched kids anime before, so Higurashi made me incredibly uncomfortable.
Jan 7, 2020 7:25 PM
Sep 2018
FlowersInTheRain said:
Berserk for me. But still a great show overall. I have it in my favourites.

*Crisp High 5

I fuckin love Berserk!
Jan 7, 2020 7:33 PM

Jan 2018
Awoot said:
End of Eva? Though the uncomfortableness is really the point for that show.

End of EVA made me laugh like no other anime has ever been capable of
Jan 7, 2020 7:45 PM

Nov 2008
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Chiibi said:

I first watched Higurashi when I think I was...9?

Oh my LORD. XD You must have been a tough kid; Disney movies were still scaring me at that age. LOL

Jan 7, 2020 7:55 PM
Aug 2011
Chiibi said:

Oh my LORD. XD You must have been a tough kid; Disney movies were still scaring me at that age. LOL

Oh yes, some of the earlier Disney cartoons were quite dark. Especially The Land Before Time. Though I'm not sure if it was made by Disney or not. There's also Bambi and 101 Dalmatians.

As for anime, I don't think I've ever been scared by one. Though a scene with that chimera dog in the original FMA, when it said 'EDUARDO' with such a creepy voice, was a little disturbing to say the least.
ClainJan 7, 2020 8:05 PM
Jan 7, 2020 8:06 PM

Nov 2008
Clain said:
Chiibi said:

Oh yes, some of the earlier Disney cartoons were quite dark. Especially The Land Before Time. Though I'm not sure if it was made by Disney or not.

That was by Don Bluth who LOVES being dark...and I love him for it. He used to work for Disney but left during the 80s to make The Secret of NIMH, An American Tail, and my favorite, All Dogs Go To Heaven that actually had the balls to

I would work for this man if I could. There is no American animator who has more of my respect. He is the reason I love animation.

Jan 7, 2020 8:08 PM
Jul 2018
There was an episode of the 2003 version of FMA that freaked me out when I saw it as a kid years ago. Forgot the name of the episode, but it was the one that was about Lust helping an alchemist in a village where people were being infected by some disease that turned people's skin into crystals.

To this day, that episode still grosses me out.
Jan 8, 2020 11:43 AM

Aug 2015
That one scene from Inuyashiki where the villian just murders an entire family for no particular reason. It wasn't the whole anime but that one scene made me pretty uncomfortable.

As for an entire anime? Elfen Lied and Grave of the Fireflies, simply because I knew the endind to that movie.
Metal, games, and good friends make life worth living
Discord: kingkrazy#0336
Jan 8, 2020 6:04 PM

Jul 2015
I’m not very easily phased but Kara no Kyoukai 3 made me a bit uncomfortable.
Jan 8, 2020 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
Ergo Proxy, I mean literally.

Seriously, that:
Tekakurika said:
Gyo was non-hentai stuff that disturbed and disgusted me. And that is rare nowadays

Hey, why no one mentions Utsu Musume Sayuri?

That was the movie that made me question my whole existence and why I'm watching it in that moment instead of doing something else.
That thing was full of shit.

Also this Shoujo Tsubaki movie and no one comes at me and tells me "butbut a deep meaning!" please. No, just no. Take that away from me.

Am I enough of a masochist to look for Utsu Musume Sayuri?
Jan 10, 2020 6:47 AM

Apr 2010
Maneki-Mew said:

Seriously, that:
Tekakurika said:
Gyo was non-hentai stuff that disturbed and disgusted me. And that is rare nowadays

Hey, why no one mentions Utsu Musume Sayuri?

That was the movie that made me question my whole existence and why I'm watching it in that moment instead of doing something else.

Also this Shoujo Tsubaki movie and no one comes at me and tells me "butbut a deep meaning!" please. No, just no. Take that away from me.

You can just to know what is being uncomfortable on another leve is. Stuff is like 3 minutes long and you can find it on youtube in like 2 sec
Jan 10, 2020 9:20 AM

Dec 2014
Akame ga Kill ... That Universe is very fucked up, and I had Beoing's in my stomach each time I turned the page... Yeah, I am talking about the manga, because I read it first.
Jan 11, 2020 8:29 AM

Mar 2015
Nightshift Nurses. Absolutely fucking disgusting.
Jan 11, 2020 9:29 AM

Apr 2011
Anime? Not really
Manga? Yes definitely

Even without sound, just manga pictures like from Junji Ito's manga or anything eroguro make me pretty uncomfortable. Though Junji Ito's works are all gems imho.
Jan 11, 2020 9:32 AM

Mar 2018
I'm fairly desynthesized when it comes to this stuff, so I do not remember anything that caused me to feel uncomfortable.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Jan 11, 2020 9:41 AM

Jan 2020
Never experience one or maybe gorey stuffs just not affects me lol

Made by k3ti
Jan 11, 2020 12:47 PM

Jul 2014
Violence Jack: Evil Town. It's absolutely terrible in terms of its overall quality (mediocre animation, an abysmally one-note cast of characters, an unengaging narrative etc) though its subject matter was more than enough to freak me out. They went absolutely overkill with the all the rape and even added an absolutely unnecessary scene where a group of kids are hacked to bits. I'm no prude when it comes to transgressive and violent content, but Evil Town overdid it to the point where it just became mind-numbing and unpleasant.

Oh, and episode 9 of Devilman Crybaby was profoundly disturbing to me, and I mean that in the best way possible.
Take care of yourself

Jan 12, 2020 8:59 AM
May 2019
I appreciate all the new titles I need to go watch. The closest I felt to "uncomfortable" or more sad I'd say was corpse party
Surprised nobody has brought up corpse party at all, or ninja scroll.
Jan 12, 2020 9:07 AM

Aug 2019
7kaneki7 said:
I don't know if Hentai counts, but Euphoria is the one for me. Especially in episode 2 when it seems like the girl is just getting tortured. She did not seem happy at all and I really hated that. I don't like to drop series, so someday I'll bring myself to finish that episode ;-;

didnt he literally shit in her mouth
Jan 12, 2020 9:22 AM
Jul 2018
ISKKILL said:
I appreciate all the new titles I need to go watch. The closest I felt to "uncomfortable" or more sad I'd say was corpse party
Surprised nobody has brought up corpse party at all, or ninja scroll.

I think in the case of Corpse Party, it's considered so bad, so gory just for shock value, that it lacks that emotional punch that comes with good dark anime to really make you uncomfortable. Like, I remember now when I first watched Death Note, I felt kind of uncomfortable, by how serious it was, how the protagonist wasn't a conventional good guy.
Jan 12, 2020 9:26 AM

Jan 2015
Monster, I know it's a masterpiece, but the fact that it's so heavy, made me stopped after every episode, I watched 1 episode, stopped, pondering, not in the mood to continue, repeat, truly dark and good at the same time.

...whether it's now or ten years from now, if you are going to evolve as a person, generally you need to be broken down first. -Ayanokōji Kiyotaka-

Jan 12, 2020 9:30 AM

Aug 2016
Now and Then, Here and There got pretty disturbing at times. I guess Bokurano too, some of the main characters' stories were pretty brutal.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jan 12, 2020 9:32 AM

Jun 2016
I wanted to make a joke about bad lighting since I first saw this thread but I can't think of any show that it was so bad I couldn't see.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 12, 2020 9:39 AM
Jul 2018
ThatRazorGuy said:
Violence Jack: Evil Town. It's absolutely terrible in terms of its overall quality (mediocre animation, an abysmally one-note cast of characters, an unengaging narrative etc) though its subject matter was more than enough to freak me out. They went absolutely overkill with the all the rape and even added an absolutely unnecessary scene where a group of kids are hacked to bits. I'm no prude when it comes to transgressive and violent content, but Evil Town overdid it to the point where it just became mind-numbing and unpleasant.

Oh, and episode 9 of Devilman Crybaby was profoundly disturbing to me, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I mean I watched at home with my mom often Criminal Minds etc, I'm used to heavy topics but that was shock value. The whole ova screames shock value, when they name their main Violence Jack and the ova simply Evil Town lol Evil Town and Violence Jack sounds something a 10 yo kid came up with to appear as cool.

Tekakurika said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Seriously, that:

You can just to know what is being uncomfortable on another leve is. Stuff is like 3 minutes long and you can find it on youtube in like 2 sec

I tried. Nothing can disturb me after Made in Abyss anymore ... which is most likely a lie. Curiousity traumatizes the cat.
But this is just one of these things when you don't have to say and think anything at the end than "??? ... okay then."
Jan 12, 2020 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Andre_Alexander said:
Monster, I know it's a masterpiece, but the fact that it's so heavy, made me stopped after every episode, I watched 1 episode, stopped, pondering, not in the mood to continue, repeat, truly dark and good at the same time.

I never felt Monster was too heavy or uncomfortable, but I can kinda understand why it would feel that way to someone. About the pacing, yeah, it's been years since I last watched Monster, but people, including me at the time, always complained about the pacing. If you have no interest in the story early on, then I don't recommend continuing it.

@Maneki-Mew

I feel like that one dark scene from Made in Abyss is kinda overrated in how dark it is. Yeah, it's uncomfortable, but I don't think it was that uncomfortable. Then again, I've watched and read Berserk, Vinland Saga, and a lot of other messed up series.
Jan 12, 2020 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Andre_Alexander said:

I never felt Monster was too heavy or uncomfortable, but I can kinda understand why it would feel that way to someone. About the pacing, yeah, it's been years since I last watched Monster, but people, including me at the time, always complained about the pacing. If you have no interest in the story early on, then I don't recommend continuing it.

@Maneki-Mew

I feel like that one dark scene from Made in Abyss is kinda overrated in how dark it is. Yeah, it's uncomfortable, but I don't think it was that uncomfortable. Then again, I've watched and read Berserk, Vinland Saga, and a lot of other messed up series.

I've seen many horror but that was on an emotional level really disturbing.

And there were two scenes of D.Gray-man that really let me feel similar.
Normally I'm not that much invested in the characters in normal horror or heavy realistic themes that I'm feeling that uncomfortable.
Although I almost always feel for characters, even if I don't know or like them well. It's really very easy to evoke sympathy from me.
Jan 12, 2020 11:04 AM

Sep 2016
AquaMailman said:
Watamote made me uncomfortable, though I still enjoyed it. Seeing Tomoko suffer that self-inflicted loneliness and not even comprehend her situation was depressing. I also watched Welcome to the NHK right after Watamote, so the sad vibes lingered and hit even harder. I had no positive energy for about two days after I finished binging these shows.

same here, i don't have any problem with gore or violent shows so i thought i would never feel uncomfortable watching anime, but watamote proved me wrong. i didn't relate to the mc, since i don't have social anxiety, but for some reason seeing her acting that way made me feel bad
Jan 12, 2020 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
There are alot to list but Gunslinger Girl takes the cake for me. Literally had to drop after watching episode 3. FMA 2003 had its moments too but managed to finished it.
Jan 12, 2020 11:21 AM
Jul 2018
Maneki-Mew said:

I've seen many horror but that was on an emotional level really disturbing.

And there were two scenes of D.Gray-man that really let me feel similar.
Normally I'm not that much invested in the characters in normal horror or heavy realistic themes that I'm feeling that uncomfortable.

Oh sorry, I thought you guys were talking about the scene where:

Maneki-Mew said:
Although I almost always feel for characters, even if I don't know or like them well. It's really very easy to evoke sympathy from me.

As much as many people try to deny it, I think a lot of us, including me, easily feel sympathy for characters.

SkyDrop said:
There are alot to list but Gunslinger Girl takes the cake for me. Literally had to drop after watching episode 3. FMA 2003 had its moments too but managed to finished it.

I've only heard of Gunslinger Girl, and how it's very monotone. In what way is it disturbing?
Jan 12, 2020 11:52 AM

May 2016
I usually don't really get uncomfortable but there are two animes so far that did a great job. Goblin Slayer by far is the most uncomfortable one with the rape scenes and how the goblins treated girls. And some scenes in AoT where people got eaten.
Jan 12, 2020 11:56 AM

Jan 2013
Hmm probably Texhnolyze, the entire setting was uncomfortable.
There's a few other anime but I can't quite remember at the time.
Jan 12, 2020 12:05 PM

Sep 2016
I enjoy Dark anime in general a lot,they give me a disturbing vibe (does that make sense)

Happy Sugar life was really something else,it started off innocent but as you watch the episodes the music,the characters get more and more twisted.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

89 by Lucifrost »»
10 seconds ago

» Dumb narcissistic perverts is supposed to be funny?

Ri-KoRin - Yesterday

38 by animegamer245 »»
1 minute ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that. ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Apr 27

89 by SobbleBoy27 »»
8 minutes ago

» Are European anime settings easier to get into!!!

Afriendlypaw - May 20

26 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
37 minutes ago

» help

arhttr - Yesterday

32 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.