Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 4, 2020 6:00 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe to a point where you couldn't bring yourself to enjoy it? Or at least, not enjoy it much?

When I was a kid, the first anime I watched that really made me uncomfortable from how dark it was, was Higurashi, as it was the first bloody anime I watched. I don't think it was so much as the blood that made me so uncomfortable, was so much as the horror: at the time I couldn't stand horror. But Higurashi was a different kind of horror; a fascinating, addicting horror. It didn't rely on jump scares. It relied on this atmosphere of horror, that came from not understanding WTF was going on, the way characters slowly snapped.

Years later I watched Claymore, which I dropped in a few episodes, because it was dark to a point where there was nothing positive in the show. At least that's what I thought when I watched it as a kid.

Around that time I watched Shiki. I remember how uncomfortable that show made me with how morally gray it became.

I think the reason I didn't enjoy Devilman Crybaby was probably because I knew that insanely dark ending beforehand. Along with how there was nothing light-hearted about the anime.
removed-userJan 4, 2020 6:47 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 4, 2020 6:27 PM

Nov 2016
Babylon episode 7, towards the end it became pretty "dark". I never felt so uncomfortable while watching an anime. Feeling uncomfortable because a piece of fiction succeeded in it's aim is actually what I define as enjoyment, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 4, 2020 6:33 PM

Nov 2011
I felt uncomfortable but I still want to know the full story when I watched a few of random episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion when I was still a kid.
A local TV was broadcasting it in midnight, so I could not watch it full. I felt uncomfortable because I found much blood (LCL) in a robot cartoon. It was weird and scary, but that just added my interest to it. I thought about it for days or even years because of what an experience it was, I only finished it years later after I found internet.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jan 4, 2020 6:43 PM
Jul 2018
FMmatron said:
Babylon episode 7, towards the end it became pretty "dark". I never felt so uncomfortable while watching an anime. Feeling uncomfortable because a piece of fiction succeeded in it's aim is actually what I define as enjoyment, tho.

I meant as in, anime as a whole, but listing individual scenes that made you uncomfortable is fine too. I do agree that scene was uncomfortable.

Jim_Heart said:
I felt uncomfortable but I still want to know the full story when I watched a few of random episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion when I was still a kid.
A local TV was broadcasting it in midnight, so I could not watch it full. I felt uncomfortable because I found much blood (LCL) in a robot cartoon. It was weird and scary, but that just added my interest to it. I thought about it for days or even years because of what an experience it was, I only finished it years later after I found internet.

I can definitely imagine how something as weird as EVA could make a kid uncomfortable.
Jan 4, 2020 6:43 PM

Jan 2016
I'm not sure it's ever been so dark I got uncomfortable I didn't enjoy it, usually when I don't enjoy a "dark" series, it's because it felt more exploitative and like it was using the dark aspects as cheap shocks, whereas something that is legitimately dark and makes me uncomfortable is usually not doing that.

As for the examples that made me uncomfortable, the fastest answer I can provide is Made in Abyss with that infamous 10th episode. I still remember where I was when I watched it and the fact that I watched it just before meeting up with friends for dinner. I was a bit off that night.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jan 4, 2020 6:45 PM

Aug 2015
I have never seen anything that makes me uncomfortable, however I can't deny that reading Berserk's Lost Children arc at 15 years old was quite the experience. After that I lost any trace of reaction against gore.
Jan 4, 2020 6:46 PM

Nov 2019
Watamote made me uncomfortable, though I still enjoyed it. Seeing Tomoko suffer that self-inflicted loneliness and not even comprehend her situation was depressing. I also watched Welcome to the NHK right after Watamote, so the sad vibes lingered and hit even harder. I had no positive energy for about two days after I finished binging these shows.
Jan 4, 2020 6:46 PM

Aug 2017
Limbs cut off as they were slices of bread and characters going crazy in Elfen Lied made me quite uncomfortable but I'd say I enjoyed the show
Jan 4, 2020 6:49 PM
Jul 2018
Pakumen- said:
I have never seen anything that makes me uncomfortable, however I can't deny that reading Berserk's Lost Children arc at 15 years old was quite the experience. After that I lost any trace of reaction against gore.

It's weird how I'm probably one of the only people who think that part of Berserk wasn't quite as fucked up. But in many ways, Lost Children is much more fucked up than the other parts of Berserk. Sure, it wasn't quite as gory as some of the other parts, but there's just something about Guts being forced to:

That just makes it...hard to forget. Berserk has many scenes like that: scenes that are horrifying in a way that may not necessarily make you scared if you're older, but certainly stick in your mind.

AquaMailman said:
Watamote made me uncomfortable, though I still enjoyed it. Seeing Tomoko suffer that self-inflicted loneliness and not even comprehend her situation was depressing. I also watched Welcome to the NHK right after Watamote, so the sad vibes lingered and hit even harder. I had no positive energy for about two days after I finished binging these shows.

I didn't expect anyone to mention Watamote. When I was thinking of anime that made people feel uncomfortable, I was thinking of gory anime. I think Watamote made me a little uncomfortable by how nothing good happened in that anime. Yes, I do have social anxiety, but it's nowhere near as bad as the MC's, so I can't quite relate to it.
While Welcome to the NHK is a drama, it's also a comedy, so I'm not sure how that show could make anyone feel bad by the end. I remember there were scenes that I laughed at, but also felt uncomfortable about. Welcome to the NHK is the only anime I've watched thus far that has made me laugh while making me feel uncomfortable at the same time. It's bizarre.
Jan 4, 2020 6:56 PM

Jan 2009
Grave of the Fireflies, that one scene where Setsuko dies, I really couldn't keep a straight face, it might just be an animated character, the events of the war could've been much worse, or not even nearly as awful, but the indignation I felt at that moment was too real and too much.

I had to stop and, try to calm myself down, it's hard to realize that these things make you want to take responsibility for things you didn't have anything to do with in the first place.

Like what, I'm not American, I wasn't even alive at that time, but either way it made me so uncomfortable that I really can't say I enjoyed the film at all.
Jan 4, 2020 7:01 PM

Feb 2019
Bokurano was pretty disturbing. The violence/horror doesn't exist to entertain or amuse an audience, but rather as a source of exploration into the inconvenient truths of this world also, Terra Formars made me squirm~

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jan 4, 2020 7:02 PM

Aug 2016
If we're talking about dark anime, Mahou Shoujo Site does it for me. Every episode, I thought it couldn't get any more distrubing, it got more disturbing. Yikes. I still fairly enjoyed the show though
Jan 4, 2020 7:05 PM

Aug 2015
I don't know if Hentai counts, but Euphoria is the one for me. Especially in episode 2 when it seems like the girl is just getting tortured. She did not seem happy at all and I really hated that. I don't like to drop series, so someday I'll bring myself to finish that episode ;-;
Jan 4, 2020 7:07 PM
Jul 2018
The episode "Jungle Cruise" from Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex still disturbs me to this day. The fact that you don't see it, only hear it, is both merciful yet at the same time makes it all the more disturbing.

As for something more recent, just about everything involving Riko's... injury in Made in Abyss. Honestly had to close my eyes at parts. Usually I'm fine with animated blood and gore and even enjoy it at times but this was just too much with how slow and drawn out it was.
removed-userJan 4, 2020 7:15 PM
Jan 4, 2020 7:09 PM

May 2019
Definitely Happy Sugar Life. It was bitter, and I couldn't stop watching.
Jan 4, 2020 7:23 PM

Dec 2018
I haven't watched Spirited Away fully yet because when I was around 5, I can remember seeing it somehow and being terrified of the

Also recently it's Devilman Crybaby. When
I kind of expected it to happen from the beginning but when it happened it confused me with emotion, hopelessness, darkness, emptiness, anger and many more.
Jan 4, 2020 7:23 PM

Jul 2019
DrMondaiNashi said:
Grave of the Fireflies, that one scene where Setsuko dies, I really couldn't keep a straight face, it might just be an animated character, the events of the war could've been much worse, or not even nearly as awful, but the indignation I felt at that moment was too real and too much.

I had to stop and, try to calm myself down, it's hard to realize that these things make you want to take responsibility for things you didn't have anything to do with in the first place.

Like what, I'm not American, I wasn't even alive at that time, but either way it made me so uncomfortable that I really can't say I enjoyed the film at all.

Spoilers in spoilers brackets please :(
Jan 4, 2020 7:24 PM

Oct 2019
elfen lied was definitely it. i couldn’t make it past the 3rd episode
β˜…* 𝓑𝓲𝓼𝓲𝓷𝓰 π“šπ“Ήπ“Έπ“Ή 𝓼𝓽π“ͺ𝓻 *β˜…
. . . . * * . . . . . .

Jan 4, 2020 7:35 PM

Aug 2018
The first scene from Tokyo Ghoul.The one where Rize feeds on a bunch of corpse.It was like mine fifth or sixth anime.It was quite disturbing for me. Nowadays I am fine with gore and blood.The only thing which turns me off is rape(like the one in Berserk).
Jan 4, 2020 7:36 PM

Jul 2019
The 2nd anime I watched after Cowboy Bebop was NGE, and seeing Shinji have dementia crises was very disturbing to me. Actually every character was fucked up, I remember that flashback (or somehing) with Ritsuko's mother and Rei as a kid. It didn't stop me from enjoying it but yeah.

One that was more traditionally uncomfortable to watch was Kakegurui. I mean, yeah. It is pretty over the top, how the gamblers react. The psycho girl (they all are but you know who I mean) and Yumeko acting like if they were about to nut while gambling was very uncomfortable, i was watching this shit with a friend too.

Jan 4, 2020 9:01 PM

Feb 2019
DrMondaiNashi said:

It made me uncomfortable not because of setsuko's death but because of seita's stupidity. The guy kills his own sister in a way.
Jan 4, 2020 9:56 PM

Jul 2007
Genocyber, because of several scenes. Also I couldn't finish Violence Jack and Mad Bull 34.

Also Gyo was disturbing with how stupid it was.
β˜†β˜†β˜†
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
β˜†β˜†β˜†

Jan 4, 2020 10:17 PM

Oct 2013
Well the cringe / gross make an anime uncomfortable to watch , not really the "dark" stuff (I like horror and thriller...)

For me it's the shows like Nazo no Kanojo X (the saliva urgh) or Aku no Hana (sick relationship), Watamote (have pity for this human being)
For horror stuff Gyo isn't a bad choice I think, since it have a good "gross" feeling

Edit : ooh I forgot Narutaru! just, THIS anime
TitadouJan 4, 2020 10:25 PM
Jan 4, 2020 10:22 PM
Feb 2016
Star-Storm said:
Definitely Happy Sugar Life. It was bitter, and I couldn't stop watching.

Definitely my mood the entire anime, I wanted something to disturb me and this really did. Still kept watching though because I like to suffer apparently.
Jan 4, 2020 10:36 PM
Jul 2017
Well only Mai Chan no nichijou for me.
That last chapter was.......... seriously fucked up.
Other than that I'm mostly OK with most stuff but I can't say I've seen a lot to say that.
"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Act like it."
"Why don't you eat make up? Then you can be beautiful on the inside too."
"'Sick'? Call me 'twisted'. 'Sick' makes it sound like there's a cure."
"What's messed up isn't my thinking, what's messed up is this god damn world."
"The world isn't perfect, but its out there doing the best it can for us. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
Jan 4, 2020 11:05 PM

Oct 2010
The ending of School Days made me feel really uncomfortable since I went into it blind. :/
Jan 4, 2020 11:17 PM

Oct 2013
I have yet to see such an anime, and yes, that includes Devilman Crybaby and Claymore as wewll as other shows along those lines.
Jan 4, 2020 11:27 PM
Dec 2018
As of yet there wasn't any anime that made me uncomfortable, but then again i haven't watch many Dark Anime.
Jan 5, 2020 6:10 AM

Aug 2016
I have not seen any anime that made me uncomfortable. It's animation in the end. Some movies however can make me uncomfortable.
@RealTheAbsurdist, if you think Devilman Crybaby is dark, you need to watch Texhnolyze. It is probably the darkest shit in existance in anime industry.
Jan 5, 2020 6:43 AM

Jan 2018
Definitely Shiki, but I still really enjoyed it, despite how uncomfortable it made me feel. In fact, I think that was the entire point. A purposefully unlikable cast, an ethical dilemma that left you struggling to choose a side to root for, the sheer brutality of the citizens towards one another. Some will treat these things as criticisms, but I personally feel like those are what made the series so memorable.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jan 5, 2020 7:05 AM
Jul 2018
RandomFriday said:
I have not seen any anime that made me uncomfortable. It's animation in the end. Some movies however can make me uncomfortable.
@RealTheAbsurdist, if you think Devilman Crybaby is dark, you need to watch Texhnolyze. It is probably the darkest shit in existance in anime industry.

I watched a couple episodes of Texhnolyze. Didn't make me feel nearly as uncomfortable as Devilman Crybaby's ending, but I heard Texhnolyze doesn't have a happy ending either.
Jan 5, 2020 7:09 AM
Jul 2018
I'm just here for recommendations seeing as how this hasn't happened to me. Clearly the edge lord in me isn't phased by much.
Jan 5, 2020 7:10 AM
Jul 2018
Berserk for me. But still a great show overall. I have it in my favourites.

Jan 5, 2020 7:35 AM

Dec 2015
Neon Genesis Evangelion for me, but it was mostly because I could see my stepfather in Shinji since he was going through severe depression back then. I love Evangelion to this day but it took me very long to finish it.

NHK ni Youkoso. I didn't find anything about it funny so I focused on the message it was trying to portray, and since I was unemployed back when I watched it it proved very effective because it made me realize I don't want to end up like Satou.

After watching Hotaru no Haka I desperately needed to clear my mind. I liked it very much but it absolutely crushed me. I didn't even need to relate to it to become a wreck.

In terms of horror anime I've yet to see anything that made me feel like that but then again you need Audition levels of fucked up to achieve that with horror, and Audition is my favorite movie so I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.
Jan 5, 2020 7:36 AM

May 2015
would absolutely pick Now and Then Here and There, tbh its problem was that it was so dark the anime just felt pointless, and the ending was the equivalent of telling someone who his family got murdered "well, atleast you aren't starving in africa"
Jan 5, 2020 8:39 AM

Feb 2018
I don't know that I've had this exactly, but I did get really upset with Elfen Lied episode 8. Usually, if I'm uncomfortable watching anime (or any movie/show) it's because it's either a super tense scene or a comedically awkward scene, both of which, when done right, makes me scared of what happens next.
Jan 5, 2020 9:06 AM

Feb 2011
Akira. I've seen it once. Never again. I'm not into horror at all so I'm biased. I watched it when I was about 14 and found it very disturbing. The animation in it is unbelievable good especially considering it was made in the 80s without computers. I think the creepy looking character designs and the music added a lot too. I wont choose a specific scene as it has quite a few disturbing parts. It's horror on a psychological level but it's also extremely graphic and gorey and the storytelling is so good that when awful stuff happens to characters it's a lot to deal with.
Jan 5, 2020 9:17 AM

Sep 2018
Gore doesn't really make me uncomfortable, I rather like dark (but well done) anime, in fact I loved all the anime OP mentioned. If I had to name an anime which was uncomfortable to watch for me it'd proly be Aku no Hana. It creates such a paranoid and claustrophobic atmosphere that it becomes tough to watch but that was what the show was trying to do and it did a great job at that.
Jan 5, 2020 9:43 AM

Sep 2014
Im not a fan of gorey stuff mostly, It was good in Hellsing Ultimate for reference.

What actually made me uncomfortable was Now and then, here and there https://myanimelist.net/anime/160/Ima_Soko_ni_Iru_Boku it was still good though

What I actually didnt like at all was Watamote. Maybe because a friend from school committed suicide a year earlier. Maybe because it just wasnt good.

Oh nearly forgot the infamous Ghibli one. I havnt touched Grave of the Fireflies in ages for good reason though.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 5, 2020 9:56 AM

Aug 2017
its not necessarily dark but Senko-san, Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita! (except for the last episode) and Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru! made me uncomfortable cuz lolicon and/or furry, in case of Senko-san, trend.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 5, 2020 10:10 AM

Apr 2010
Gyo was non-hentai stuff that disturbed and disgusted me. And that is rare nowadays

Hey, why no one mentions Utsu Musume Sayuri?
Jan 5, 2020 10:40 AM
Apr 2016
I guess Elfen Lied was that one uncomfortable series which I still watched, if I recall correctly. At the time, even back then, the depiction of excessive violence appeared to me questionable, in the very least. Right now I am more likely to find justification in an excessive depiction of violence, since there are legit themes that work well with it. Child abuse, war horrors, anti-utopia. All must have clearly defined relations to the reality we are living in, to reflect it and what is wrong with it. But Elfen Lied never was such a thing.

Without knowing the context, I will by default assume any series not striving to become a statement or a critique, while employing depiction of excessive violence, to be simply catering to deviants craving said violence. Many will be surprised how simple humans are when it comes to justifying their urges and issues.
Re:formed
Jan 5, 2020 12:54 PM
Jul 2018
K-ON! Death, plage, misery ard sexual assault everywhere. Mugi is to mean. Ritsu is too evil. And Kyuubei is a beam of hope and light in the swarm of DARKNESS that is this series. Heard some people died trying to watch it. Poor souls. Poor weak souls!
Jan 5, 2020 4:21 PM

Oct 2008
Aoi Bungaku Series, I will say that that anime was brilliant in its execution.
It made me feel uncomfortable/doubtful of whether I wanted to finish it and I loved that feeling. I want more anime like that, reason being that I want to be able to appreciate such series. An anime that you don't drop because it bores you or pisses you off. But because it depresses you and feels like this goes against your taste.
There aren't any like it as far as I can find. Maybe "Hell girl yoi no togi" but it was to short lived.

Sadly "Itou Junji: Collection" wasn't as good and disappointed me.
Jan 5, 2020 6:04 PM

Mar 2015
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Maybe to a point where you couldn't bring yourself to enjoy it? Or at least, not enjoy it much?

When I was a kid, the first anime I watched that really made me uncomfortable from how dark it was, was Higurashi, as it was the first bloody anime I watched. I don't think it was so much as the blood that made me so uncomfortable, was so much as the horror: at the time I couldn't stand horror. But Higurashi was a different kind of horror; a fascinating, addicting horror. It didn't rely on jump scares. It relied on this atmosphere of horror, that came from not understanding WTF was going on, the way characters slowly snapped.

Years later I watched Claymore, which I dropped in a few episodes, because it was dark to a point where there was nothing positive in the show. At least that's what I thought when I watched it as a kid.

Around that time I watched Shiki. I remember how uncomfortable that show made me with how morally gray it became.

I think the reason I didn't enjoy Devilman Crybaby was probably because I knew that insanely dark ending beforehand. Along with how there was nothing light-hearted about the anime.

Anime relied on shock value like Devilman Crybaby should not be tolerated. On the other hand i think Claymore is an amazing anime, I read the manga also so I think you should consider rewatching it, it paid off in the end though there's seem endless suffering at times.

And to your question, I feel uncomfortable multiple time when watching Nana, mostly because how stupid they act at times...
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Jan 5, 2020 11:34 PM

Oct 2018
Devilman Crybaby is pretty disturbing and made me bit depresed.
Jan 5, 2020 11:43 PM
Mar 2017
Humble Apologies if this comment is considered Off-topic but the only Dark category which made me feel Uncomfortable at start was the manga “Dead Tube”. But I kept on continuing it, turns out I can handle such plots.

Anime which I consider being Dark are:
1. Paullea Madoka Magica
2. Overlord
3. Grasia Series
4. Higurashi Series
5. School Days
6. Re:Zero
7. Magical Girl Site
8. Akira (Movie)
9. Perfect Blue (Movie)
10. God Eater (Why? Because Episode 10)
11. Shinekai Yori

All the above 11 anime/anime movies which I mentioned are all watched and I recommend it to y’all if you haven’t watched some from it.
Jan 5, 2020 11:45 PM

Jan 2017
That must've been "Free". That Anime made me watch into endless depths full of existential nightmares.
Jan 6, 2020 2:46 AM

Jan 2015
goblin slayer was very nasty disturbing
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is there a website like MAL but for western cartoons?

Deadaccount2974 - Feb 5, 2021

4 by Alexseabra »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you think shoujo/josei romance are usually better than shounen/seinen romance ?

ZXEAN - 4 hours ago

29 by JoeChip »»
16 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

151 by NightVampire »»
16 minutes ago

» Anime with least plotholes

JoeChip - Yesterday

30 by JoeChip »»
21 minutes ago

» Anime of the Season

Raajdeep - Yesterday

43 by SuperAdventure »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.