Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 20, 2019 10:37 AM

Dec 2015
Evangelion ! (TV)
I was 10 years-old and anime-hungry after a few years of TV "ban" on jap.animation when Eva went on a national channel. I only knew the name (and that it was scifi) but any drug would have done it. When it starte,the opening first surprised me with two nude female figures (well, why not?) and I was still excited. Then came Misato on screen... and I turned the television monitor off. I was under the false impression this was all about sex or obsession towward female bodies (not that it was entirely wrong after all) so I just gave up on it.

It was only at 14 that I read how incredible it was in a mail-order anime catalog. As soon as I got the money four-five months later, I ordered the whole french-dubbed VHS box. It was a Revelation. The best Easter week-end of my life !
Apr 20, 2019 3:06 PM

Jun 2015
I was told OPM was going to save anime, it didnt.

mawaru penguindrum / nuff said
Apr 20, 2019 6:03 PM

Nov 2018
Mononoke tricked me mostly because of the artstyle and synopsis, but god damn it became really good.
Apr 20, 2019 9:36 PM

Jul 2015
Definitely had to be gakou gurashi for me.
Apr 20, 2019 9:40 PM

Dec 2017
Megalo Box is the only one that comes to mind, thought it would be so much better but it's whatever

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Apr 21, 2019 12:10 AM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Zombieland Saga, after watching the first two episodes I thought it was going to be an absolute masterpiece of a comedy but it just ended up being an idol show (it was still good, but a let down from what I was hoping for and now I can't say I've never watched an idol show before lol).
Apr 21, 2019 12:29 AM

Mar 2019
Made in Abyss totally didn't expect it to become what it did, but in a good way.

Negative would be SaO. Will always bug me with how it turned out.
Apr 21, 2019 9:23 AM
Jul 2018
Damned "Gakkou Gurashi", I didn't expect that 180° spin in the story, gah.
Apr 21, 2019 9:27 AM

Sep 2016
Samurai Flamenco- ends differently than you'd expect it to
Gekkougurashi- looked slice of life
Bunny Girl Senpai- I thought it would be ecchi
Clannad- it looked like it was just going to be a plain slice of life
Fate/Zero- the intro 40 minute episode
Free- thought it would be mostly fanservice
Silver Spoon- looked like your typical guy transfers to school anime at first
Kill la Kill- looked like it was purely for fanservice at first
Violet Evergarden- thought people mainly liked it for its looks at first

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

Apr 21, 2019 9:45 AM

Aug 2017
*Kill la Kill: it looked like pointless ecchi at first.
*Made in Abyss: it looked cute at first.
*Violet Evergarden: it looked sad at first but ended up being very stupid.
*Free: it looked like fujoshi-bait but ended up (especially S2) being a show that deals with friendship. Very good.
*Yuri on Ice!: looked like another version of Free! but I've ended up being very disappointed.
*Toaru Majutsu no Index: it looked generic as fuck at first but I was impressed by the plot and characters like Touma and Acceleretor.
*One Punch Man: it looked funny but ended up being bad and overrated.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 21, 2019 10:01 AM

Mar 2019
Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai

The word bunny girl in the title tricked many people(even me) but when i watched it,the feels i got from it is so hard and it quickly landed as one of my top 3 anime of the season

"You're having lewd thoughts aren't you?"
"My thoughts are a hundred times more lewd that what you're imagining."

--Sakurajima Mai and Azusagawa Sakuta Bunny Girl Senpai
Apr 21, 2019 2:11 PM
Jul 2018
Free! I was initially afraid of the naked muscle and tight swimwear that basically screamed "naughty fanservice", but in the end, it turned out to be just another innocent and fun sports anime, for which I was immensely grateful. Now I'm kinda ashamed for my suspicions. -.-
The second "twist" in Free! was quite bad though, as the ending pretty much nullified the idea the anime had been building up to that point.
May 3, 2019 3:46 AM

Feb 2015
Negative: Shakotan Boogie

This is an old OVA based on a manga by the same creator of Wangan Midnight (manga about tuning cars and street racing). Judging from the premise I thought Shakotan was a little more light-hearted version of Initial D, but instead, it was a story about two borderline rapists who try to get into women's pants with their riced out car (maybe I'd like this more if the subtitles were translated better, it was pretty hard to understand, especially the final episode, which tried to be a bit more emotional).

Positive: Yugioh 5D's

I haven't actually finished this one, but whatever. A few years ago I started watching this, so I can make fun of it. I already watched bits and pieces of 5D's back in 5th grade (4kids version) and I thought it was terrible. The motorcycle gimmick seemed stupid and it was so far removed from what I've expected YGO to be. So when I actually watched it subbed, I couldn't believe how cool it really was. The setting and story were really cool, it had a great cast of characters and one of my favorite soundtracks in anime.
May 8, 2019 11:57 AM

Dec 2017
I don't know why but everyone likes Konosuba so much. Before i watch this anime i have big expectation. unfortunatly But i think it was boring and not funny at all.
May 8, 2019 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
HungryForQuality said:
Death Note was a negative. First 10 episodes were excellent. When Misa came in to the picture, it lost focus and got worse. Then the memory wipe happened, which reduced the tension even more. Then the big death of episode 25 happened which basically followed 10 mostly boring episodes with new characters I couldn't care for.
HungryForQuality said:
Death Note was a negative. First 10 episodes were excellent. When Misa came in to the picture, it lost focus and got worse. Then the memory wipe happened, which reduced the tension even more. Then the big death of episode 25 happened which basically followed 10 mostly boring episodes with new characters I couldn't care for.

THIS. 100% this.

#characterlimits
May 8, 2019 3:38 PM

Nov 2013
i had high hopes for zankyou no terror. fantastic soundtrack, characters appeared to be charismatic and set to oppose one another in typical criminal vs law fashion. (a lot of my favourite movies are this, stuff like Heat)

the visuals were great too. overall though it just seemed to fizzle out. didn't really feel any connection whatsoever to the characters by the end and was quite hoping it would just pick up and really surprise me in a positive way every episode... but it never did :(
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 8, 2019 3:41 PM

Aug 2017
I started Bakemonogatari because of the 4th opening, thinking it was a romcom about a girl in love.
Boy I was wrong.
May 8, 2019 3:52 PM

May 2016
Sakamoto desu ga? tricked me into thinking it was funny for half an episode, before revealing that, lo and behold, it's not.

Sakamichi no Apollon MAL page tricked me into thinking it'll be a cute story with jazz. It was instead a dull story with jazz, in engrish, off-tune, at all times.
May 8, 2019 4:03 PM

Dec 2015
Definitely Death Note. After the first episode I thought it would be a show focus on the supernatural and horror elements. I was suprised on the second episode that it would actually focus on a detective vs the mc, and after it would become the best investigation show I've seen (well, at least on the first arc)
May 9, 2019 6:22 AM

Dec 2018
Made in Abyss: I was clearly not ready for that
Gintama: I started because of the ending 17, i thought it would be badass and serious as hell but after the first episodes i was like "wtf am i watching", but now i'm addict
May 9, 2019 6:34 AM
Oct 2018
Medaka Box, from hearing about this character with an OP power, I assumed the show was an action type, then I watched an episode. I was severely disappointed
May 9, 2019 6:38 AM

Apr 2017
Negative twist: Fairy Tail. First episodes were good, and the setting was amazing. Character were funny and I thought it could be a really good shonen (also the MAL rate was good, and heck, from that day on I understood that I should just follow my own taste and not the others one...).
It got worse and worse, the battles were bad animated and boring as fuck, the plot was non-existent and I hated Lucy.
It got better during Tartaros-hen tho, also the last season is kinda decent, especially because holy shit that plot twist was good, very good. I always think that Fairy Tail could be epic, especially with that last twist.

Super positive: Shokugeki no Souma. Heck I only thought it was cook and tits, not mf epic battles and characters interactions/developments.
Aaaah god, Shokugeki was really good, really really good... *cries in manga*

EDIT: Holy shit I forgot this one: Sword art Online. 'I hate it, the internet hates it, so I do to' Was the thing I always thought about SAO until I watched it... hahahaha I was wrong.
May 9, 2019 6:46 AM
Nov 2018
Kaguya-sama
Thought it was a dumb gag comedy, but turned out to have deeper meaning and fantastic character development
May 9, 2019 6:54 AM

Jan 2017
The Irregular At Magic High School and Amagi Brilliant Park.
I didnt expect much from them but both were fantastic!
May 9, 2019 7:10 AM

Mar 2018
The cute look of Made in Abyss is seriously misleading. The show has some seriously gruesome and horrific moments and it is really quite dark. I adore it so very much but this really surprised me.

May 9, 2019 7:31 AM

Jan 2017
That's will be Kingdom for me...........
May 9, 2019 8:12 AM
Apr 2017
Steins;Gate: first episode (first few, honestly) were almost unbearably slow. I thought it'd turn out to be a borefest but ended up as one of my favourite of all time.

Angel beats: first episode was pretty interesting and I was really hoping it'd lead to more than the painfully mediocre rest of the series. The anime equivalent of an empty room painted eggshell.

Death note: I'd say until episode uuuhh 4 or 6, it was somewhat interesting/entertaining. After that the only question I could ask myself was "how could they possibly milk this garbage for 40 episodes?" and at episode 26 or 27 I couldn't stand it any longer, dropped it and read online what happened next, I'm rather glad I didn't waste any more time on it.

Tokyo ghoul: another show where the first couple of episodes were quite interesting and a show that was much better at the time when my imagination could run wild with possibilities of what would happen. Ended up as a mostly average thing (which is better than the utter shite that followed it, but still).

Satsuriku no tenshi: what I said for TG but ended up as horrid rather than average

Hinomaru sumo: I had plenty of doubts about a sumo-centred anime and the first episode was fairly lame, to be honest. Stuck with it and ended up liking it quite a bit, which is definitely not what I would have expected to say about a sumo anime. Also, the first ending song has about 20 seconds that are more gay than the entirety of yuri on ice, yagate kimi ni naru and doukyuusei all put together and that helps too; wouldn't skip it for the death of me.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
May 9, 2019 10:22 AM

Jan 2017
Positive would be Haikyuu!!, I never thought a sport anime would so entertaining.

Negative would be Saint☆Oniisan, I expected something funnier, and was a little disappointed in both characters. Althought it was still decent.
May 9, 2019 10:35 AM
Oct 2018
Shokugeki no Souma

I thought it was gonna be some stupid food crap but turned out to be quite enjoyable and went on to watch all the seasons and even one of the extras (I almost never watch extras)
--
May 9, 2019 11:02 AM

Jul 2015
Dororo - at first, i thought this was a show to my liking, it reminded me a bit of Mo Dao Zu Shi, i expected to be immersed in that world with demons and all that supranatural stuff.
Sadly, after a few episodes it became repetitive, and felt like a mediocre episodic anime (for me, at least). Still, there were some episodes that i enjoyed which were better related to the main plot, and i also haven't finished it yet, so we'll see.
May 9, 2019 10:25 PM

May 2017
darling in the franxx. a hype first 6 ep. then bullshit the rest of the way.
May 10, 2019 1:15 AM
Aug 2018
Death Parade definitely leaved me with the impression of being a comedy slice of life show with its opening which is fine but nah, it was even better and i love it
May 11, 2019 7:09 AM
May 2019
I thought ACCA was the worst anime of its season because of how boring and expotition-filled its first episode is. Turns out its sitting on my favorites list now.
May 11, 2019 7:52 AM

Apr 2015
Definitely Yuuki Yuuna.
I thought it were a lighthearted " magical girls fight evil monsters" anime, but it turned out a bit different
May 11, 2019 10:47 AM
Oct 2017
Shinsekai yori, my first impressions was that it was a boring mystery anime and initially I couldn't care less about it but I carried on watching because the MAL rating was quite high, I thought at best it might turn out to a decent anime, by end of it, I would have to say it's one of a very few masterpieces in anime.
May 11, 2019 11:19 AM

Apr 2011
Berserk the three movies
my friend liked Griffith at fist sight and cheered on him whole series until she saw the ending of 3rd movie... needles to say she's still shocked after 4 years and complains to me that I made her watch it
May 11, 2019 11:42 AM

Feb 2019
Positive - Bunny Girl Senpai. I thought it would only be an ecchi show (I don't bother looking at tags or summaries) but I was deceived in a good way. What a fantastic show. And I was watching Monogatari before I've begun watching Bunny Girl Senpai, so I got into it pretty quickly.

Negative - Tate no Yuusha. The first 4 episodes were really good and then it became a piece of shit. I'm really disappointed.
May 11, 2019 12:25 PM

Dec 2018
index, it sounded like a original premise with great potential, but it's just another harem battle with intentions of shounen
May 11, 2019 2:15 PM

Sep 2015
Most recently Ao no Exorcist seems to try disappointing me. At first it looked like something that might be interesting and now it looks like it will be a nother "weird magich high school bullshit". Reminds me of the disappointment of Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari.
May 11, 2019 11:32 PM

Sep 2018
I would say Highschool dxd tricked me because it looks like some basic fanservice show but if you look past that the plot is amazing and the fights scenes become very funny. I've heard people say the fanservice ruined it for them but it's a good show.
May 12, 2019 1:03 AM
Oct 2018
Ansatsu kyoshitsu I thought it was an average comedy anime at first but it was awesome as hell
May 12, 2019 1:08 AM

Jan 2009
Ga-Rei Zero just because of how misleading the first episode is
Aug 1, 2019 4:29 PM

Feb 2014
K-On: because of Yuru Yuri (which I found to be an absolutely boring and mostly unfunny moeblob) I got hesitant to ever start any other CGDCT, but decided to give K-On a chance due to all the praise it gets, it turned out to be actually funny, didn't care that they spend more time eating cookies and drinking tea than actually practicing or playing any music, and the dumb dialogues like "fun things are fun" are the exception, not the rule.

YKK: I thought I would hate it because it looked like it would be a slow SoL in which nothing ever happens, turned out to be a manga with wonderful atmosphere, excellent art, impossible to hate characters, and really easy to binge read.

A Cruel God Reings in Heaven: I can't quite call this manga bad, but idk, just got a very hard time getting through all of it, I guess I was expecting some sort of persecution thriller a la Monster, it took 10 volumes to reach the events mentioned in the synopsis, and most of the manga happens all in the same place, the mansion in which the main character reside.
Aug 1, 2019 4:49 PM

Jul 2017
I thought Haruhi Suzumiya and Monogatari were going to be just normal slice of life anime, boy was I wrong
Aug 1, 2019 6:48 PM

Nov 2015
Assassination Classroom: I went in blind and paid no attention to visuals or synopsis. The title and first minute of the show had me expecting a serious show, but nah. The opening kicked in and people started dancing.

Konosuba: Went in expecting it to be funny and enjoyable. Couldn't even continue past the first episode it was so boring.

Shield Hero: First few episodes? Just fine. By episode 10 it turned to shit.

Aug 1, 2019 9:09 PM

Oct 2017
Shinsekai Yori.

I hate most of the characters in it in first arc.
The story later on turns it into a masterpiece. (im story department only)
Aug 1, 2019 9:15 PM

Jan 2018
For me it would be Made in Abyss.

Thought less of it since most of the characters are kids.

Turned out to be a bit darker though so haha
ええ、私はそこにいてそれをやった

Aug 1, 2019 9:39 PM

Jul 2019
SAO, 1st 2 episodes were really solid introduction, then the time jumping and side stories started ( they weren't really bad, it just made you care less about "main story").
Aug 1, 2019 9:44 PM
May 2018
Hunter x Hunter viewers know whats up.
Aug 2, 2019 4:05 AM

Jun 2015
relife, it thought it was a comedy but by ep 4, the really hilarious comedy till ep 3 just vanished and it took a major downturn.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» does anyone find it childish and cringe whenever attacks are yelled or named in shonen anime/manga?

Phantomnocomics - 3 hours ago

8 by velvetnyan »»
5 minutes ago

» Any arcs like greed island?

sasukerr14 - 3 hours ago

3 by MichaelJackson »»
16 minutes ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad?

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

14 by Alriven »»
17 minutes ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Yesterday

23 by Serafos »»
26 minutes ago

» Gainax just filed for bankruptcy

HidamariSou - Yesterday

16 by ColourWheel »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.