Forum Settings
Forums

What is one show that you think started out really good, but then ended up being a disaster?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 21, 2018 6:59 PM
Sep 2015
Dimension W and Princess Sarah are the first two that come to mind.
Aug 21, 2018 8:05 PM

Sep 2016
Zankyou no terror and Akame ga Kill (I would also say Code Geass but since there is gonna be a movie "sequel" or whatever its gonna be I need to re watch it XD)
Aug 21, 2018 8:14 PM

Jun 2014
Definitely not a disaster, but I wasn't too pleased with how "Kero Kero Chime" ended.

I still enjoyed it, but the ending disappointed me.

Aug 21, 2018 8:21 PM
May 2017
Hisone to Maso-tan. Never before have I seen such a good first six episodes followed by the most boring, frustrating and nonsensical plot one can imagine. It's the only show where I can actually recommend people watch the first six episodes, then pretend that's the end and drop it.
Aug 21, 2018 8:35 PM

Jul 2016
Just replace "disaster" with "disappointment" and there would be:

-Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
-Megalo Box
-Seikaisuru Kado
-Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai
-Violet Evergarden
-AnoHana
-Darling in the FranXX
-Fate/Apocrypha
Aug 21, 2018 8:38 PM

Nov 2011
Most seasonal anime doesn't have a satisfying ending.

Aug 21, 2018 9:12 PM

Apr 2017
SouthRzVa said:

-Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
-Megalo Box
-Seikaisuru Kado
-Violet Evergarden
-AnoHana
-Darling in the FranXX
-Fate/Apocrypha
Oh come on, I liked Megalo Box’s ending.
Aug 21, 2018 9:22 PM

Aug 2007
I can't say a lot have been outright "disasters", but MANY have ended in a disappointing/unsatisfying way for sure. I try not to judge too harshly if they start out with a good enough premise, as endings for any story are more difficult to tackle than the start...

Still, the most recent one for me is Franxx, no surprise there. Another that comes to mind is Your Lie in April but that one's definitely more of personal taste/frustration, not the general consensus. Will have to think if I've got any more.

EDIT: Reading others, I suppose Erased and Evergarden can be included but more in the "mild disappointment" department.
JG_WezzAug 21, 2018 9:30 PM
Aug 21, 2018 9:29 PM
Apr 2016
Terror in resonance started out nicely but as it progressed it went meh and the end was terrible.
Aug 21, 2018 9:40 PM
Jan 2015
DiTF most recently. 15 episodes in and I was loving it, but then last 4 episodes happened and had me really shaking my head with the plot direction. Not a complete disaster since I still gave it a 7/10, but I felt like it could have been so much better if they kept it more grounded and not completely copy Evangelion's major plot points.
My Queens

Aug 21, 2018 9:42 PM

Jan 2017
Pretty much every anime in my dropped list and Accel World (Dont know how i completed this one coz it was really horrible)
Aug 21, 2018 9:56 PM

Jan 2016
I really liked the concept behind Beatless so I kept giving it chance after chance, but eventually I had to drop it. My brain couldn't take all the filler and recap anymore
Aug 21, 2018 10:02 PM

Jan 2016
SouthRzVa said:

-Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
-Megalo Box
-Seikaisuru Kado
-Violet Evergarden
-AnoHana
-Darling in the FranXX
-Fate/Apocrypha

Ahh, why'd AnoHana disappoint you?
Aug 21, 2018 10:18 PM

Dec 2009
I notice a lot of people, both here and just in the community in general, have cited Darling In The Franxx as an anime that started off good or promising but got worse as it went on... am I the only one who saw it was bad from ep1? I felt like the signs were all there

As for me regarding the main topic, I havent seen any shows whose dip in quality couldn't be predicted. I have seen anime movies with massively disappointing endings - but that's an entirely different matter imo
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Aug 21, 2018 10:20 PM

Jan 2014
Woah, ur just like me except the anime differ.
Gurren Lagann started out great, exciting and most importantly watchable, then it hit ep 17(though i had some other issues with it even before that) and everything after that became completly unwatchable.
Dropped it at ep 20 found out how it ended which was even worse and pretended it ended at ep 17 and just gave it a 5 for whatever reason.

Another one is Re:Zero. Completly unwatchable after ep 11(11-18 i like to call "The Retarded 7" shout out to my Haruhi fans out there) but i finished it with skipping parts of episodes.

Oh shit how could i forget vampire knight.
The first 10 seconds were good(they weren't but for the sake of the thread) and it just fell into a bottomless pit of hell.
This anime makes Twilight look like it had a solid romantic plot.

Rokka no Yuusha. Started great then turned into some of the most drawn out boring shit i've seen with an awful ending.
AstZeroAug 22, 2018 8:41 AM
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Aug 21, 2018 10:27 PM

Jan 2014
YoshiokaNatsu said:
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. It was so much fun, but I absolutely didn't get that ending... I don't wanna spoil so I won't tell more details, but I think those who saw the anime know about what I am mad.

U mean the only reason you don't like the anime is cause it ended on a cliffhanger.
Welp buddy.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Aug 21, 2018 10:33 PM
Jul 2016
Video Girl Ai is so this. The first episode was pretty cool and funny and I liked the music, but after that it became all weird and stupid and I had to rate it like a 3 in the end.
Aug 21, 2018 11:41 PM

Dec 2012
Guilty Crown and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom come to mind right away.

Neon Genesis Evangellion also comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling dow-n.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 21, 2018 11:48 PM

Feb 2016
Neon Genesis Evengalion
Darling in the FranXX

Aug 21, 2018 11:54 PM

Feb 2015
PoeticJustice said:
The_Missing_Link said:
AoT had a great first episode, but it peaked in episode 1 and had a steep decline

I agree. I got death threats back in the day for saying that. Good times.
what a story mark.

.....................................................................................................................................
Aug 21, 2018 11:55 PM

Jan 2018
Boku dake ga inai machi really liked it till that scene came up and then boom my score went from 9 to 3 in just seconds.

Also, Darling in the franxx what the fuck is wrong with last few episodes.

And harem anime with no conclusion.
Aug 22, 2018 12:01 AM

Jun 2017
Zankyou no Terror : It went downhill after Five showed up .

Re:Zero : I loved Episode 1 tbh but then with all the thing in the mansion and Subaru being Subaru every damn episode? Sorry No. If Rem was the MC tho...

Erased: I think the first three episodes were good but for some reason I'd lost interest by Episode 4/5

Controversial one : TTGL. Look , I loved the first half. But they tried to introduce some "political" stuff in the second half and it was just plain boring and I also hated the final battle ,

Aug 22, 2018 12:38 AM

Jan 2013
Yuri on Ice like what the heck... I'm a huge fan of ice skating so I was super excited for this anime and the 1st ep is really nice but the rest of them...
That lack of good animation and tooooo much fanservice too (even if I like yaoi, yuri and stuff like that) tho.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Aug 22, 2018 12:51 AM

Dec 2009
Congintive said:
Boku dake ga inai machi really liked it till that scene came up and then boom my score went from 9 to 3 in just seconds.
curious, which scene are you referring to?
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Aug 22, 2018 12:55 AM

Jan 2014
Crusader_8 said:
Congintive said:
curious, which scene are you referring to?

AstZeroAug 22, 2018 12:58 AM
Aug 22, 2018 1:00 AM

Dec 2009
AstZero said:

EDIT: okay, the image loaded when I quoted it *shrug*

Of all the things about that show, that's what reduced your score to a 3?

~

Aug 22, 2018 1:02 AM

Jan 2014
Crusader_8 said:
AstZero said:

Yes :D.

Aug 22, 2018 1:05 AM

Dec 2009
AstZero said:

So, I know a lot of people love that show, and a lot of people hate on that show. I criticize it immensely and find it to be low in quality, but it's something I can rewatch. In all honesty I would find it totally un-re-watchable if -

~

Aug 22, 2018 1:06 AM

Jan 2017
Vampire Knight, Nisekoi, Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai
Aug 22, 2018 1:10 AM

Jan 2014
Crusader_8 said:
AstZero said:

So, I know a lot of people love that show, and a lot of people hate on that show. I criticize it immensely and find it to be low in quality, but it's something I can rewatch. In all honesty I would find it totally un-re-watchable if -

I don't particularly have an opinion on it. I don't like it that much but i don't hate it either. It was an alright watch and something that kind of loses its rewatch value because of the ending it went for.

The show I do hate with passion tho is TTGL.
Aug 22, 2018 1:17 AM

Dec 2015
Recently? Charlotte who could have been an interesting "comedy" but smashed its introduction for a bad descent into Inferno. KADO: great concept (even if not really original) but what else?

Little Evangelion mention: I don't understand how the beginning was so misleading about what came later. Also, the sect/mystic elements were there to look cool (just like the conspiracy background story, and so many other elements here only because the makers loved them), I fail to see how they are responsible for giving the pseudo-intelligent aspect to the show.

@CodeBlazeFate Oooh, already several EVA mentions ! You might love some

@Turtles_Hunter Wich scenes? o_O I watched everything at age 13 on the familial TV with absolutely no remark (apart a "oh, still giant robots in the 90s, time to do something else" from my mother). The only problem I see are a few "misleading" shots in the opening (who made me stupidly drop the series before).
Aug 22, 2018 1:17 AM

Jun 2015
Most obvious answer would be ERASED. Showed lots of initial promise, then decided to focus on one single story element for the majority of its runtime, consequently stunting the story along with numerous logical holes. Oh, and the ending was pretty ass, too.

Also a side note: in my honest opinion, Darling in the FranXX never showed any potential to begin with. I saw little to no competence in those first few episodes, just a cavalcade of borrowed ideas executed poorly. And it just let itself devolve into that shambolic mess it was destined to become.
AltoRoarkAug 22, 2018 1:24 AM
Aug 22, 2018 1:24 AM
Apr 2017
Tokyo ghoul (it had some real promise at the beginning), death note, boku dake ga inai machi (that last episode, christ).
I somehow ended up watching just because! and it was a decent enough show, a good way to waste some 20 mins and just fine so far as I was concerned. The ending was such a shitshow; not like the rest was the work of a great writer but the last two episodes clearly said "yeah, we really couldn't care less, eff off". Bah.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 22, 2018 1:25 AM

Aug 2017
In my opinion, Darling in the Franxx was never good in the first place. The drama was very silly and the characters (except Goro) were annoying from the start. The fanservice was just there for no reason. Let's not forget that the pacing was bad. I have a similar opinion about Erased.

*Hanebado!: It's not over yet but we are in the eighth episode and the show is a disaster. I liked it in the start with Nagisa's problems but from the third episode the anime is just a unrealistic drama. It seems that every girl doesn't know how to do nothing but care about badminton. Some characters like Connie and Kaoruko are so bad written that I'm laughing when the show tries to make them friendly. Yeah, well, fuck that.

*Dimension W: It have a strong start with enjoyable characters and a good premise. Turn to be a rushed adaptation with a lot of plot holes and things that makes no sense. The villain was so generic that hurts me.

*Megalo Box: What happened here? It had such a strong start with tension, characters with a big presence, good animation, very interesting plot and OST. First 1-3 were amazing. Unfortunately, the fights were pretty lame, the MC is mere a plot device without a past that gave him importance. Joe have a lot of plot armor. The side characters have some personality but they can't carry the show. The ending with Joe dancing!! is garbage. It seemed like a strong AOTS (and maybe AOTY) contended in the beginning of the season.

*Hisone to Masotan: Not so much of a disappointment but wasted potential. The first two episodes were pretty boring and somehow generic. But from ep 3 until the appearance of Natsume and the some weird plot, it went downhill so fast. The anime could've developed the other two pilots. However it has turned serious for no reason. The series started silly turned serious and then returned silly again in the last scene.

Crusader_8 said:
I notice a lot of people, both here and just in the community in general, have cited Darling In The Franxx as an anime that started off good or promising but got worse as it went on... am I the only one who saw it was bad from ep1? I felt like the signs were all there

As for me regarding the main topic, I havent seen any shows whose dip in quality couldn't be predicted. I have seen anime movies with massively disappointing endings - but that's an entirely different matter imo

No, you're not the only one.
NurguburuAug 22, 2018 1:41 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 22, 2018 1:46 AM

Mar 2015
FranXX was already garbage since episode 1, but hats off to the writers for creating an ending that makes the rest of the show look like the best anime this century.
Aug 22, 2018 1:52 AM

Dec 2009
Nurguburu said:
In my opinion, Darling in the Franxx was never good in the first place. The drama was very silly and the characters (except Goro) were annoying from the start. The fanservice was just there for no reason. Let's not forget that the pacing was bad. I have a similar opinion about Erased.

Crusader_8 said:

No, you're not the only one.

for me, it was first looking at the main pic which advertised the show on social media and crunchyroll - a dystopian sci-fi featuring mecha and highly militarized children apparently wearing school uniforms. That alone should've screamed "stay away from me!"

Then I noticed that online, when I was looking for discussion on DITF from actual fans (you know, to look for a different perspective to see if I was missing something), all that *anyone* talked about was a love triangle. Right then I knew, with all the sci-fi and dystopian stuff being advertised, that if the only thing people found worth talking about was the love triangle then the show wasnt worth watching.

But ppl disagreed with that sentiment and thought I was being judgmental, so I watched the show. I should've been able to guess that episode 1 would basically start with the MC narrating cliche coming-of-age metaphors. Then you had masked people in charge of the dystopia with a scientist seemingly sympathizing with one or more main characters. I'm glad I'm not the only one

~

Aug 22, 2018 1:55 AM

Apr 2010
I'm not sure if the word is disaster, but Joker Game. I really liked Sakuma, and then he was gone at episode 3, to never return until the end. When I saw that each spy has his own episode, it didn't feel interesting anymore

Aug 22, 2018 1:59 AM

Mar 2018
Darling in the FranXX, 'nuff said. Or any later works produced/made by A-1 Pictures really.
Aug 22, 2018 2:04 AM

Oct 2013
Most recent one I can think of is DARLING IN THE FRANXX. Although I did enjoy it a bit. But still.. The potential went haywire.
Aug 22, 2018 4:24 AM

Apr 2016
Crusader_8 said:

Yea, the show already felt like an abomination devoid of foresight and care within the first 8 episodes, only fkra vast majority of the second half to reinforce that idea enthusiastically. Went from bad to worse, that show. Hell, even the cover is bad enough to tell you this production doesn't have much care put into its crafting.

Mirai said:
FranXX was already garbage since episode 1, but hats off to the writers for creating an ending that makes the rest of the show look like the best anime this century.
A-fucking-men! God, this show was a piece of shit. The beginning episodes were already a borderline indefensible travesty in their own right, but for everything after episode 13 to be as disgustingly awful as it was (especially after episode 18), boy oh boy is that an accomplishment!

AltoRoark said:
Most obvious answer would be ERASED. Showed lots of initial promise, then decided to focus on one single story element for the majority of its runtime, consequently stunting the story along with numerous logical holes. Oh, and the ending was pretty ass, too.

Also a side note: in my honest opinion, Darling in the FranXX never showed any potential to begin with. I saw little to no competence in those first few episodes, just a cavalcade of borrowed ideas executed poorly. And it just let itself devolve into that shambolic mess it was destined to become.
Agreed. Even the poster reminded me of Big Order, and yea, the symbolism was gaudy and used disturbingly poorly, and genuinely, the show really has no merit outside of the now-wasted potential that some episodes showed off. Oh, and yea, ERASED fucked up too, staring with the disastrous episode 9 instead of 10. Finale was laughable.

Rei366 said:
Recently? Charlotte who could have been an interesting "comedy" but smashed its introduction for a bad descent into Inferno. KADO: great concept (even if not really original) but what else?

Little Evangelion mention: I don't understand how the beginning was so misleading about what came later. Also, the sect/mystic elements were there to look cool (just like the conspiracy background story, and so many other elements here only because the makers loved them), I fail to see how they are responsible for giving the pseudo-intelligent aspect to the show.

@CodeBlazeFate Oooh, already several EVA mentions ! You might love some

@Turtles_Hunter Wich scenes? o_O I watched everything at age 13 on the familial TV with absolutely no remark (apart a "oh, still giant robots in the 90s, time to do something else" from my mother). The only problem I see are a few "misleading" shots in the opening (who made me stupidly drop the series before).
I really don't get people that hate the second halves of Eva and Gurren Lagann and say there up there with FranXX for being their biggest trainwrecks.
Aug 22, 2018 5:01 AM
Sep 2016
For me it was AOT. The first few episodes were really interesting. From ep 5 it was kind of meh..and it started going down the hill from ep 11-12. The Characters are god awful, the pacing was all over the place and the show was getting on my nerves. I really wanted to enjoy the show because of its unique concept. But, it ended up irritating me a lot. I'm quite surprised how ppl adore this show soo much. It's one of those shows which didn't live up to the hype and I feel its highly overrated. I believe the less a show irritates, the better it is.
Aug 22, 2018 5:06 AM

Aug 2017
CHAMPIONOFDEATH said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
As much as I hate this anime, I actually thought the premise of it was pretty good.

However, it decided to take a one way trip to generic psychological anime land, and turned into a horrible anime.
How can you call anything "generic anime land" with a favorite list like that?
Aug 22, 2018 5:15 AM

Mar 2017
Ousama Game. It had an interesting premise to begin with, but then that was overshadowed by edgy nonsense and a horrible plot twist that completely ruined the show. The only redeeming feature in this show is the op, which is pretty good imo.
Inuyashiki is the Best Mecha ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Aug 22, 2018 5:37 AM
Mar 2014
For me it was Erased. It could have been something special
Aug 22, 2018 5:40 AM
May 2014
Erased is the only anime I’ve ever seen that I felt didn’t have a consistent quality to it
Aug 22, 2018 5:41 AM
May 2014
V3rbatim said:
CHAMPIONOFDEATH said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
As much as I hate this anime, I actually thought the premise of it was pretty good.

However, it decided to take a one way trip to generic psychological anime land, and turned into a horrible anime.
How can you call anything "generic anime land" with a favorite list like that?

For someone to have to hate on NGE, their taste is likely going to be as shitty as that. Damn shounenplebs man
Aug 22, 2018 5:49 AM
Aug 2018
unimportantuser said:
While not a show but a movie (and I know people aren't gonna like me for saying this) but Akira. It started out so great with that motorcycle chase scene, some nice action, good character interaction, and stunning animation that still holds up to this day. However as Akira went on I just got more and more bored of watching it, the characters, pacing, and story absolutely killed Akira for me.
this was my exact thought after finishing the movie, it was very promising to begin with but somehow the pace became very disjointed to what it was in the beginning, and I grew very bored.
Aug 22, 2018 5:59 AM
Shattered Angel

Mar 2015
Picture a guy who just got into anime recently, early senior year of high school. Now this kid has only watched about 6 or 7 shows that were really good to him (mostly innocent romance/drama anime).

Now this kid happens upon an anime called School Days. At the time, this kid had no idea what would happen or had no idea what the would witness.

First few episodes were pretty good and kid was enjoying himself. It started to go downhill very quickly. Episode by episode it got progressively more raunchy and the character made less intelligent decisions each time he did something.

By episode 5, the kid can't physically watch anymore. Obviously the kid was me. :[

Luckily I dropped it before all of the weird yandere stuff happens. Which I hadn't heard about until about a year later.

To this day, it's the only show I've dropped. Like I said, I enjoyed the first 2 or 3 episodes. 4th one I was getting uncomfy with it. At the very end of episode 5, I "noped" right on out of that show.
Aug 22, 2018 5:59 AM
Aug 2011
Can I count Digimon Tri, because I think ti started ok to got better to opps train-wreck starting with movie 4.
Aug 22, 2018 6:08 AM

Jul 2007
Attack on Titan. The series had a solid premise and was interesting for the first several episodes, but then it became clear that the plot wasn't going anywhere. Most of the characters are angsty emotional teenagers and the only good character is comic relief (Sasha). I really wanted to like this anime but it just got worse with each episode with its predicable plot twists and unlikable characters who spend most of the time screaming and crying. I didn't bother watching season 2.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» what is one popular anime character trope you're tired and sick of ??

ame - 3 hours ago

8 by shiro-seishun »»
8 minutes ago

» When did the term “Japanimation” started to become “anime” and what was the cause of that?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

29 by traed »»
9 minutes ago

» What do you think next-gen Ecchi anime could be?

Anjuro - 41 minutes ago

3 by Anjuro »»
11 minutes ago

» What's the most interesting thing that came out of an anime girl's mouth?

Catalano - May 21

25 by Jackof-allspades »»
29 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

124 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.