Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 7, 2019 10:43 PM

Dec 2018
THEY RUINED SUCH A BEAUTIFUL SERIES

Tokyo ghoul was my most favourite anime ever but the ending... they could have done it way better... everyone saw rize coming in the ending like comon. they make the ending so peaceful and cute it became a bit weird. you could have just given a tragic ending smh.

still tokyo ghoul will be one of my most favourite anime for the first and 2nd seasons.

gairickJan 7, 2019 11:23 PM
Jan 14, 2019 9:13 AM

Mar 2016
Haise has now fallen asleep... It's time for Kaneki to wake up!
"YUME WA MOII" That's an awesome phrase to say! Welcome back, Black Kaneki!

Damn, even though it's not a head-to-head fight, Kaneki did manage to defeat Eto the One-eyed-owl! I don't know what he's planning, but I'm 100% she's not even dead.

That's a cool way to die Shirazu... I am not even that fond of him a character in this short 12 episodes, but his death is actually impactful, I can feel the feels! In addition to that, seeing how his squad members and especially Urie who actually cried for him and being so worried about him dying just make the moment even more emotional. He's been a great brother and friend from how it seems so. Press F to pay respect F

Kaneki throwing the blame onto Urie saying that Shirazu died because Urie was weak definitely got Urie wanting for more power.

This season was alright... Its pacing was off in some episodes, fight scenes and death scenes underwhelming in most but a few occurrences, however! It also got its share of enjoyable and fantastic scenes! Hopefully the next season I'm about to watch will be better than this, especially now since Kaneki is finally back!
Jan 18, 2019 10:28 AM

Jul 2014
I actually thought this was more watchable than the first two seasons.

4/10
Jan 29, 2019 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
So Kaneki got hit as a kid by his mom ...
Damn Shirazu with that hole, shame after they just defeated the ghoul.

Honestly, I enjoyed this season a lot more than season 2.
Maybe not as good as season 1 was but at least we had some interesting stories and some decent action.

8/10
Apr 15, 2019 3:27 AM

Mar 2014
A very good binge. I never expected this series would be so captivating that I'd binge the entire first cour so quickly. Although it was only thanks to all the manga readers summarizing missing details for me in forums that I was able to fully enjoy it .

Haise's situation being resolved as Kaneki trying to have a "happy dream" was oddly a nice natural way to end this weird multiple personality issue.
Apr 18, 2019 12:51 PM
Apr 2019
that was depressing
May 11, 2019 7:17 PM
Dec 2017
It wouldn't be Tokyo ghoul without all the senseless killing. The CCG doves and ghouls are always so quick to throw there lives away (and a lot of times for nothing). Like this last raid on the Tsukiyama family. The CCG lost a lot of investigators, and for what? the Tsukiyama's ended up escaping in the end.

Also, what's with the one eye owl and Aogiri Tree? It seems like they only do stuff for kicks. There no rhyme or reason to their plans.

Anyways on to the final season!
Jun 29, 2019 5:46 AM

Dec 2012
Well, that was fairly underwhelming. I don't even say that as a manga reader, either. Even now, I can go back to iconic scenes from the first two seasons that still get the adrenaline flowing. Despite whatever cuts or alterations they made, the first Tokyo Ghoul still had exceptionally breakthrough moments that made them badass all on their own. With :Re, however, I didn't sense any of that. It felt markedly different. Less twisted & gritty. Tokyo Ghoul was filled with all kinds of warped, insane jaw droppers that made my skin crawl and my stomach turn over. With :Re, it was really just...shock value. Lots of blood and gore. It felt like everything was a serious downgrade from the previous seasons. The battles, the execution, the atmosphere. Even the music only really stood out when it rehashed tracks from the first season. Ultimately, :Re didn't feel as coherent and compelling even despite having less ground to cover than the first two seasons.

I was going to watch :Re S2 after I finished the manga, but perhaps I'll just leave it untouched. Clock out while I can still say that the anime is decent for what it does.

6.5/10. When all is said and done, I still think it was decent. Just a serious far cry from its predecessors.
ZekkenshinJun 29, 2019 5:49 AM
Sep 19, 2019 5:21 PM
Aug 2019
I dont know what to feel. The only thing that actually encourgaed me to watch this was the clip I saw in FB when they played unravel, I patiently waited for that time to come. Hahaha I will still watch the part 2 but I hope it would get better. I just want to see Kaneki and the old casts again. 😭😭
Oct 11, 2019 10:53 PM

Aug 2018
Damn the characters i cared about this season died, the pink haired girl and shirazu, at least hinami and touka still alived doe.

Despite its flaws i still enjoyed this but season 1 and 2 are much better especially in fighting scenes and pacing. Also theres a less touka scenes in this season which sucks.
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Oct 30, 2019 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
I kept hearing so much smack talk about how bad this was going to be and as someone who has read all of the manga I was honestly dreading it twice as much. I am happy so say that I think some people blew it out of proportion. As an adaption goes it is not perfect but considering how bad TG looked/was animated, and how bad Root A was overall :Re was a massive step up in a lot of areas. Could it have done with more episodes to explain some things in better detail, yes, but what adaption couldn't? There will never be a perfect adaption. As for anime only watchers it does move at the speed of light and that may be discombobulating to some. In recent years I've gotten used to this "gotta go fast" type of anime and it just is what it is.
Nov 19, 2019 2:19 PM

Mar 2018
Was that Shirazu's body bag with him in it being stolen at the end? If it was I guess he'll be coming back as a ghoul.
Dec 26, 2019 11:41 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow Kaneki is actually back and he's way more charismatic than before, I totally prefer him in this version.
For the anime itself it was average, meh story and poor animation but kinda captivating and it wasn't really bad to watch, Tokyo Ghoul first season was still really better than this imo
Feb 24, 2020 10:23 AM

Mar 2016
It felt rushed, but that's how it is with most 13 episodes anime. They could have made the season longer by adding more details from the manga. I haven't read it, but I can say that it was good enough for me. I felt no attachments to any of the characters as they weren't given enough time to develop. I also didn't see a lot of action due to how rushed it was compared to the first two seasons, which was probably not the main focus. What stood out to me was the story and the visuals. It was enough for me to keep watching it and not feel bored one bit. It was enjoyable, but forgettable. They had some great ideas, but the execution could've been A LOT better. If it did I probably would've given it a perfect score. 7/10 for me which is good but NOT that good.
Mar 22, 2020 2:03 AM

Feb 2010
this show got worse every season... I don't think I'll stick around for cour 2.
Apr 12, 2020 1:08 PM

Jul 2015
Kaneki ken is back, took some time but the beast is back and damn he is strong as hell being able to defeat owl
Rip Shirazu, my favorite member of the team
I have to say this season quite lacked the amount of action that they had in previous seasons, I also noticed a dip in animation quality at times which kind of bugged me
There were quite a lot of characters for which I just didn't care about or were just there for a moment to just die secondds later, also I don't really understand the point of the Quinx unit as they never explained it. Those members look more like a group of misfits rather than a team composed of specially selected people who work for the CCG. Like Saiko felt totally pointless and was just there for comedic effect.
As an anime only viewer i got quite confused at times so I wish they didn't cut that many parts from the manga like Kuzen gave away Eto is a totally different story than what was told at the end of S1

Apr 27, 2020 9:38 AM
Feb 2017
_MushiRock11_ said:
Everything that made Season 1 and 2 good has been poor this Season, honestly.

5/10.
season 2 is a total FLUKE
It has nothing to do with the manga story lmaoooo
I didn’t think this 3rd season was awful, but it wasn’t that good either. What matters to me is that it remained as loyal as possible to the manga and the story.
May 12, 2020 7:43 PM
Dec 2015
Not that great of a season. Rip Shirazu :(
May 25, 2020 7:15 PM

Mar 2015
2 years after finishing the disappointing :re manga, I decided to watch this season already knowing how much content it will cover. I can say this season isn't that bad actually.

There is some details and small bits that are skipped similar to TG S1 but that is expected. Pacing is fast and this resulted in scenes and stuff not feeling impactful enough, I think TG S1 was better in the pacing.

Animation is mediocore and this did annoy me, but it's still better than some of the shit I saw in Root A. the fights are very lackluster but it was the same in the manga.

Nice Op and I really liked the ED. It's been a while since I liked an ED.

It was nice to see all the characters animated. But something felt off with Suzuya and I'm not talking about the obvious new haircut or behaviour but it could just be me. I prefer his original look anyway.

Shirazu's death scene felt really sad and seeing Urie getting emotional gave me the feels. The death scene felt more emptional than in the manga for me because I had some doubts back then.

6/10

This was alright overall, the first season of the original is still the best season and Root A remains the worst while :re S1 is between them.
Now to the second cour of :re...
Aug 27, 2020 2:30 AM

Apr 2013
What a hot mess this season was, from the start I did not know what was going on at all. I did not recognize most characters and the point where the story picked off was completely unknown to me. Lots of deaths I did not care about, at least with Shirazu in the very end I felt a bit sad. Also the worst character got saved by the best character, not the ending I wanted to see. Overall better than season 1, but worse than season 2. 5/10
Aug 28, 2020 9:27 PM

Dec 2009
Since it's been around 3 months that I've finished the manga, I can't differentiate it properly from the manga anymore for not clearly remembering every detail, so because the anime is mediocre and disappointingly bland in production, I skimmed through the anime solely for the action scenes overall, along with any intriguing drama or favorite character moment instead of forcing myself to tediously watch every second of a bad adaption that I can't fully enjoy.

Unfortunately I can't point the differences myself but the wiki fandom reveals them extremely well, and even though I don't remember I can feel that a lot was left out.
There are seconds in the scenes of action that are epic but overall they're disappointingly mediocre with bland directing of sequence and choreography.
I'm not sure how to clearly explain it without knowing what they're called but a lot of the special effects suck. Although it surprisingly is better in the second half.

Aside from it not being fully faithful to the manga with mediocre action, it's decent.
To the point that it's fairly good near the end for what it adapted even though it skipped a huge amount of content of good scenes. 7.5/10.
waalex11Aug 28, 2020 9:35 PM
Sep 6, 2020 5:56 AM
Jul 2018
The action in this season as a whole was trash and not very exciting, not to mention the fact that in the finale of a season, you would expect some massive showdown to happen. It was oddly paced and the action wasn't the best. BUT we now have Kaneki back. rip Shirazu though. I didn't hate the season as much as a lot of people were saying but it definitely wasn't as good as the 1st or 2nd season, not to mention the confusing start because I hadn't read the manga.
Dec 29, 2020 12:32 AM

May 2020
Okay so this was trash
Jan 12, 2021 8:58 PM

May 2020
This Kaneki seems different with the old one. I feel this Kaneki is more badass. Story is messed up and so rush.
Apr 20, 2021 2:03 AM

Apr 2009
They just killed the pink haired waifu. T___T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2021 1:39 AM

Jun 2020
Haise comes hand in hand between Kanae and It was not looking good

Damn it Shirazu is dead really an emotional scene that happened right there sad to see him go, Kaneki is putting up an intense battle between Eto and I must say he is still as strong as before or yet maybe stronger I don't know whether Eto was serious or not but I know there's more coming from Eto than just that

Kanae had the thing she wants now and I think she's happy that it was fulfilled and Tsukiyama was alive, Urie got told the Bitter Truth by Haise

All in all, wasn't the best but I still enjoy watching it and watching how each individual portrays their fights but I guess a little bit rushed at certain things or maybe the pacing wasn't good as it should be, but glad I completed it.
Aug 18, 2021 11:26 AM

Jan 2020
Pacing is still messy but I didn't think it was an awful finale. The eto fight was decent but as a whole, this season was more of a miss tbh. It was hard to follow

Aug 19, 2021 4:07 AM

Jul 2021
I appreciate kaneki slicing eto in half before they could say any more annoying stuff. It was a meh finale I only liked the eto and kaneki fight and last 2 mins.
Feb 2, 2022 3:21 PM
Apr 2021
The 1st and 2nd series of tokyo ghoul were really good, but I feel like they wanted to make money, so they made : re.
-The whole story was some kind of a mess, I never really knew what was happening
-A lot of random characters just appeared in this season. (they should have ended it with the second season, but of course greedy creators have to ruin a show 😴😴😴)
- Yeah Kaneki regained his memory, that´s nice... But why the hell did he turn against Tsukiyama?!
The whole show had some nice scenes, emotional dialogues,...But it lacks the effort of creators

Overall underwhelming show 4/10 😓
Mar 15, 2022 7:12 PM

Nov 2010
Kaneki is back and I didn't expect him to be this ruthless and powerful. He beat that One Eyed Owl like nothing. I remember it was such a menace back in S2.

Shirazu really died? I thought he'd live since he was still regenerating somehow.

So, that's how Noro looks like behind the mask. I thought he's unbeatable.

Kanae is a Karren? so he is a she?

7/10
Aug 28, 2022 1:48 PM
Dec 2021
so... at first I expected to write this review disappointed. Because this entire season was like... entertaining, I watched it all in one day, but nothing special. There were a few times when I didn't completely get the plot, or already forgot who which person is. And perhaps what bothered me the most; it felt like a lot of times the atmosphere just wasn't placed right for the supposed emotion. I mean like a lot of moments that weren't meant to be funny came across as comedic and certain serious scenes weren't taken seriously enough. Maybe it's a problem with the pacing. I haven't read the manga, but everyone seems to be pointing out that as the problem.
And there's still things I would like explained. Such as, how did they manage to brainwash Kaneki in the first place? I was so confused at the beginning. I genuinely thought he had died at the end of season 2. Did they think adding another torture scene would be too bad for the audience? That doesn't make sense with how much violence is in the show (not that I'm complaining, imo it's great, adds just the right amount of over-the-top drama). But also, what other way would there be to cause his amnesia? Surely it can't be through just a simple surgery.

However. Most of this was fixed for me in this last episode. It felt like all the confusion came together and finally formed a coherent story. Kaneki found his true self again, that was great to see. I didn't really like how he treated Urie at the end, but whatever. Comes with his character, I guess. I can't wait to see how things turn out in Season 2 (or 4, if counting all together). Also, I'm curious to find out what's with that man with the trenchcoat - who pretended to cry but then started laughing when he was alone (forgot his name).
Also, lol, I thought Kanae was a man the entire time. I genuinely just now learned that it's a woman. What is it with the animators giving 90% of the characters the same length hair??

So, overall, I think it was pretty good. I gave the first two seasons a 9, this one obviously isn't as great, so 7/10.
Aug 31, 2022 2:07 PM
Aug 2022
it was such a great episode since it had so much action and surprises
Sep 10, 2022 11:10 AM
Apr 2021
a bit fast for an end but i like it
Sep 24, 2022 11:11 AM
Aug 2018
TheKoopaKing said:
It wouldn't be Tokyo ghoul without all the senseless killing. The CCG doves and ghouls are always so quick to throw there lives away (and a lot of times for nothing). Like this last raid on the Tsukiyama family. The CCG lost a lot of investigators, and for what? the Tsukiyama's ended up escaping in the end.

Also, what's with the one eye owl and Aogiri Tree? It seems like they only do stuff for kicks. There no rhyme or reason to their plans.

Anyways on to the final season!

In pretty much all the big fights all i can think of: you know the enemy is there, why not just blow the damn building up. if CCG have realized something called missiles existed they wouldnt have to burry hundreds of men every episode. Then again, in this universe it seems that anyone that is a named character is basically immortal until the plot demands it.
Does the Reaper Dream of Darkness Darker than Black?
Oct 15, 2022 8:18 AM
Aug 2022
Urei is the only one with character development in this season and I'm glad to see that sasaki or something is finally finished. Many things didn't make much sense like why are they attacking shuu's father in the first place? Others were right the first season is the only one that felt like a seinen. The rest doen't make much sense and feels more like a shounen rather than a seinen.
Oct 16, 2022 7:40 PM
Mar 2022
toppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Dec 13, 2022 6:48 AM
Sep 2019
MTO BOM MTO BOM MTO BOM MTO BOM MTO BOM
Jan 19, 2023 11:18 AM
Jul 2022
boring imo..........
Mar 12, 2023 12:06 AM
Mar 2023
I WISH THEY WOULD MAKE MORE EPISODES
Apr 1, 2023 5:52 AM
Aug 2021
wtf was this season,ups and downs on this last ep
Apr 3, 2023 11:45 AM
Dec 2022
ftgyhujıkkıoıoo
Jul 17, 2023 2:08 PM

Jun 2023
So I have finally finished the season.
There is a lot to say about it, so here is my comment:
(Since I haven't read the manga, I can't make any comparisons to it.)
On the one hand, it's good! The realisation is well done, as are the animations. Story-wise, on the one hand, it was definitely worth watching and the variety of genres like action, horror, mystery etc. was maintained compared to the previous two seasons. The new team of investigators (new characters) is also basically a good idea. 
But that brings us to the big weakness of this episode: Tokyo Ghoul:re simply has very little to do with the two seasons before it. When I finished season 2, I expected it to pick up exactly where it left off. But no: there's a big time jump (nothing bad, actually) into an almost different story. (But) Suddenly there are ghouls fighting on the side of the humans. But why? 
In general, these 12 episodes seem very compressed, like they're trying to simplify a story for which 20 episodes would be appropriate. I mean, there's fighting in almost every episode, which doesn't seem varied to me personally. That brings us back to the point of manga: I probably just lack information that is there and that's why I feel a bit stupid watching it (for example, it takes me a long time to remember new names). 
Also: I specifically don't like the idea that Ken doesn't really exist anymore and can never unfold his consciousness again or something like that (or I just understood it wrong). These are points where I wish the previous Tokyo Ghoul would return.  
I wouldn't call this season bad by any means, but some things could have been done better.
Sep 13, 2023 3:38 PM
Jul 2021
Not understand why Kaneki is so rude and vile.
Oct 29, 2023 12:37 PM
Oct 2023
temporada confusa, mas o final com a touka foi legalzinho. se não fosse o final, seria 1
Jan 14, 1:38 PM
Dec 2017
Mar 30, 1:45 AM

May 2021
Gah this season was trash (imo)
Only ep I even half liked was this last episode. Smh
May 7, 1:13 PM

Jun 2017
it has been years since reading the manga so my memory is a little hazy but strictly as a standalone i liked the anime.
Kaneki kyun is back in town boyz and is going to turn it upside down
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

49 by bakakisima »»
May 7, 10:23 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2018

240 by bakakisima »»
May 3, 1:09 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2018

417 by bakakisima »»
May 3, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2018

194 by F0xFae »»
Mar 29, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2018

172 by CaravanRiot »»
Mar 16, 9:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.