Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 27, 2010 2:19 AM

Feb 2009
Painful... that was a hard to watch and emotional episode... let's see next one.
Jun 16, 2010 6:24 AM

Jun 2008
Lilah said:
Waaah! Luffy!!! :( That was awful.

How is he going to get out of that? Obviously he will, but the warden said that there is no way to neautralize the amount of poison that he ingested D:

Hehehe, Bons-chan's Nami attack is going to be good (assuming it is Nami) ^_^

Dec 24, 2010 12:38 AM

Oct 2009
Luffy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D';
Nearly cried ;_;
AozureDec 24, 2010 12:49 AM
Jan 30, 2011 5:11 AM

Feb 2010
Am I the only one who felt the naruto-ness of this episode???
Jan 30, 2011 8:49 AM

Mar 2008
vizhmaster_vizhu said:

Yeah, pretty much. Unless Naruto has a claim on the main character losing a fight.
Jan 30, 2011 1:15 PM

Apr 2009
fortunately this isnt like naruto/bleach where the main character wins every enemy he encounters
Feb 1, 2011 6:21 AM

Feb 2010
FlareKnight said:
vizhmaster_vizhu said:

Yeah, pretty much. Unless Naruto has a claim on the main character losing a fight.
idk, when he was down and Magellan was walking away, he got up and magellan turned back, I was hit by an unspeakable naruto-ness. :D
May 10, 2011 3:49 PM

Jul 2007
now that was an awesome episode. Luffy was completely hopeless against magellen's poisen abilities. I don't think ive ever seen luffy in that much pain before. What was with his black eyes to?

It looked to me like the poison was taking away all of his senses. I about flipped out when he actually jumped inside the hydra's mouth. My god. How is going to recover from this shit.

It seems like he is up against another opponent that is just unbeatable, like Aokiji.

May 10, 2011 3:53 PM

Jul 2007
smokes said:
fortunately this isnt like naruto/bleach where the main character wins every enemy he encounters

Smokes, tell me your joking. I agree with you on bleach, but have you even watched naruto. If anything this is the exact apposite to what you said. One piece s bout the main protagonist and the crew of the straw hats winning nearly every battle for the most part accept for a few enimes they counter like aikoji and kuma. I mean at least untill the 400+ range.

Naruto is bout a child growing up, starts of pretty weak. learning the ways of the world, trying to protect the ones he loves and almost nearly every person enemy, he meets his stronger them him. He is constantly challenged and in near death states almost all the time. The world he is in is in my eyes much more dangerous then the world of one piece.

At least the first half of the grand line. . Nearly every enemy they encounter are bout the same level as the straw hats. It was pretty apparent in archipeligo when they refereed to the grand line as being the pathway for the 11 rookies. Things may change in the new world, im not sure, but the first half of the grand line is like "kiddy's paradise" compared to the new world pirates.

Naruto on the other hand grows up in a world full of enimes and skilled lvl ninja that are far more powerful then he is. He by far does not come off as a hero in the series defeating every villain he comes across. naruto is different then other shonens, thats kind of why i like it alot.

Any one who doesn't agree you can go can it. I have my opinion, and you have yours. Thats all there is to it.
ArtimesGamerMay 10, 2011 4:46 PM

Jun 23, 2011 2:59 PM

Jun 2009
You know what? Moments like this are really effective BECAUSE the viewer is used to Luffy winning nearly every fight. In Naruto you expect the main character to have a tough time, while that isn't the case in this series and, honestly, I think that makes this scene, as well as the Aokiji and Kuma fights, more effective than in Naruto.

Not that I'm knocking Naruto.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 30, 2011 7:39 AM

May 2010
Oh shit no! LUFFY! :`-(
Feb 4, 2012 3:40 PM

Jan 2012
i expected luffy to win laboring under the assumption that the bigger fights were later on, which is why i was pretty much horrified by the end of the episodes. i like when one piece surprises me like this - i've been so used to the world of east blue and grand line that it's hard remembering they've gone somewhere far more dangerous. now that i think about it i don't know how he would have beaten magellan anyways. ugh poor luffy, that looks so painful.

the music got beautiful and epic towards the end. i'm still in love with one piece's soundtrack. the episode was abnormally well drawn too.
Nov 23, 2012 9:25 AM

Mar 2010
Defeated. Thought luffy's will power or whatever would help..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 7, 2013 11:08 PM

Nov 2012
Rasco said:
Defeated. Thought luffy's will power or whatever would help..

Same. I'm guessing the poison held him back though.

but man, that looks like it HURTS.
Jul 16, 2013 4:43 AM

Jul 2013
Why nobody talks how is strange that luffy doesn't die???
How is it possible to survive????
Nobody, in this anime, ever ever, dieeees!
ARE YOU OK WITH THIS? SERIOUSLY? IS LIKE, NO MATTER HOW STRONG OR HOW DANGEROUS AN ENEMY IS, YOU WILL ALWAYS SURVIVE!
SO WHAT'S THE POINT?
THE ONLY DANGER IN THIS ANIME IS, IF YOU GET DEFEATED, YOU WILL SLEEP FOR 2 OR 3 DAYS LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO!
Somebody PLEASE ANSWER ME, am I the only one who isn't ok with this?
Only the strong reborn from ashes.
Feb 1, 2014 8:25 AM

Dec 2012
Lilah said:
How is he going to get out of that? Obviously he will, but the warden said that there is no way to neautralize the amount of poison that he ingested D:

My question too ^
Oh Luffy :(
Feb 1, 2014 8:32 AM

Jun 2011
FenixPT said:
Why nobody talks how is strange that luffy doesn't die???
How is it possible to survive????
Nobody, in this anime, ever ever, dieeees!
ARE YOU OK WITH THIS? SERIOUSLY? IS LIKE, NO MATTER HOW STRONG OR HOW DANGEROUS AN ENEMY IS, YOU WILL ALWAYS SURVIVE!
SO WHAT'S THE POINT?
THE ONLY DANGER IN THIS ANIME IS, IF YOU GET DEFEATED, YOU WILL SLEEP FOR 2 OR 3 DAYS LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO!
Somebody PLEASE ANSWER ME, am I the only one who isn't ok with this?

He still lost. Luffy couldn't make it to Ace, that's what. Death is not the only solution.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 13, 2014 11:53 PM

Aug 2013
kevin_video said:
I never liked the opening. I can't stand it. I still say that it makes Luffy sound incestuously gay for Ace.

Not surprisingly, this episode wasn't nearly as epic as the manga version.

And I gotta wonder, with the guy who played Jimbei dead (suicide for those that didn't know), I wonder who they're going to replace him with.

Really? are you 10? they obviously just have an extremely close bond as brothers, Luffy has no interest in women, men, or anything sexual from what we've seen at this point... and I like it that way, romance fucks everything up in anime.
Sep 11, 2014 11:51 PM

Apr 2011
Lilah said:
Waaah! Luffy!!! :( That was awful.

Hehehe, Bons-chan's Nami attack is going to be good (assuming it is Nami) ^_^

exactly what im thinking when watching this... how the hell is he going to get out of this now *click next episode*
Oct 4, 2014 10:08 AM

Jan 2014
Still painful to watch.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 15, 2014 9:06 AM

Oct 2013
On to the next 1

May 24, 2015 5:50 PM

Mar 2014
man that episode had me in tears
Jun 14, 2015 4:00 AM

Jun 2015
LUFFY!!!!!!
Aug 7, 2015 3:01 PM

Jul 2015
Poor puffy he got rekt
Apr 2, 2016 9:14 PM

May 2013
Awwww, Luffy TT^TT

it's alright. He lost to Crocodile 3 times before he won. Magellan was just trial 1 >< They both use poison and Luffy survived Croc's poison hook, so...
Jul 27, 2016 12:53 AM

Mar 2015
Wow Luffy's in a real pinch now
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 2, 2016 2:45 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Seeing Luffy like that, was really awful. He really had a hard time here :<

Mar 17, 2017 4:18 PM

May 2014
I can't believe how many people dislike this opening song...it's so good?
I think it captures Luffy's feelings perfectly, plus it has this strange nostalgic feeling- like I'll come back to it in years to come and just get hit with a truckload of feels.

This was an awesome ep from start to finish.

Luffy's resolve is quite something, but it was really sad seeing him fight a losing battle. He seems to be doing that a lot lately, and I can't help but feel his frustration. ;-;

Gotta love the way Luffy and Ace's relationship has been written- we haven't seen them interact much in the story, but you can feel the strength of their bond even when they're far apart!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 9, 2019 4:34 PM

Jun 2016
If I would use any word to describe the New World it would be "hopeless". Up until this point the Straw Hats always won, even if it was hard at times, even if they lost very occasionally, by believing in themselves, being there for their nakama, and not giving up they always won. Then we get to the halfway point of the Grand Line and we met 11 people comparable to Luffy, all of which are called "rookies". We have an absolute slaughter where Luffy himself is speechless with fear and hopelessness and asks Robin what he should even do, nothing he does can save the day. Then after thinking all of his friends died temporarily he nearly gets his new friends killed in Amazon Lily if it weren't for a lucky burst of haki.

Now we had good times until Magellan showed up but yet again believing in oneself and not giving up just isn't enough. Luffy's "I'm willing to give up my arms to win" thing would have been enough to win fights before this, that selfless action and refusal to accept his fate would account for something. But here he simply slightly hurts Magellan and hurts himself far more. Magellan treated Luffy like a rat he had cornered and was exhausting, he never even had to try. I kept hoping Luffy had a good idea in mind, near the end when he kept missing Magellan and ended up kicking into the fire I was praying that Luffy had a plan in mind, a plan to break something behind him and collapse a bridge on Magellan or something but it was evident that the pain he was in and the distortion of his senses turned him into a man wildly swinging with his all and it not measuring up to anything. Even in the end, he recklessly jumped in to a Hydra absorbing so much poison that it shouldn't be possible he should live. That reckless refusal to give up just ended up looking sad and hopeless this time. It's like the New World's goal is to truly make it known that Luffy is a rookie and what's got him this far isn't enough anymore. They were warned after all.

The inspirational perservering side of Luffy just seemed sad this episode. His screams, agonizing enraged faces, blue eyes to possibly signify that his vision was as good as gone, that beautiful animation when he took a gasp of the venom fog that had been so beautifully foreshadowed with Magellan's sighs being enough to scare people all made it is so powerful. Where do we even go from here! I came here excited to see Luffy beat Magellan more than he was being hurt himself, kinda like with the Lucci fight, but all I got was a sad Luffy struggling to put a dent in his foe before being drowning in poison!!! WHERE DO WE EVEN GO FROM HERE!

Luffy's a man who decides he's going to do something and does it, there's no stopping him. Or at least that's how it was up to Thriller Bark. I would say this tone the series had was challenged starting with Kuma vs Zoro at the end of Thriller Bark and it hasn't let up since.

Sir_Lexa said:
mulderman said:
Second time Luffy got completely owned by an overwhelming power.

What was the first???

Aokiji? Kuma? Sentoumaru? Smoker?

Crocodile also did pwn Luffy a few times before he finally won too. But for an absolutely hopeless fight I'd say this was up there with the Kizaru incident, and Aokiji. Smoker did beat Luffy that's a good point and I would say if Luffy didn't get that lucky Haki burst and Margaret died then we'd call that an overall loss too.
Aug 21, 2020 11:58 AM

May 2020
Damn, Luffy can't fail! I hope he somehow has a backup plan.
Aug 23, 2020 11:14 AM

May 2016
Luffy straight-up did a suicide run on Magellan by tanking all that poison damage just as long as it means that he could take him down in the process but what we ended up seeing was one of the most agonizing and painful moments in Luffy's life, damn. He's gonna end up in Level 5 as a result but that's because he's being left for dead at this point...

I kinda wish that they showed more of Bon Clay seducing Hannyabal by using Nami's likeness~

Sep 23, 2020 3:27 AM

Dec 2007
i just remembered that luffy once used haki, if he could use that again in his anger of the fight he might'v have a chance, but it turned out to be this...
May 12, 2021 2:44 AM

Apr 2021
I wonder what s up nexttt !!! I mean obviously luffy will not be dying anytime soon but goddamn he's in some big mess
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
May 28, 2021 7:11 AM

Jun 2019
It's always so hard to see him suffer like that. :'(
Aug 27, 2022 8:57 PM

Apr 2018
Not sure how Luffy will win this ;[
Feb 6, 2023 10:01 AM
Feb 2022
Buena pelea, pero al final Luffy perdió. Ha llegado al nivel 5, aunque en forma de prisionero. ¿Cómo escapara de esto?
Jun 12, 2023 8:33 AM
Oct 2019
This is too painful to watch 😭

I have no idea how Luffy gonna get out from this situation.
Jul 8, 2023 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
It’s ironic, if Ace faced off against Magellan he’d win easily. Although Luffy may not have the fighting advantage in devil fruit power, I believe he is somewhat resistant to poison because he’s rubber.
Nov 12, 2023 12:46 AM

Mar 2017
Some great use of sound design this episode. Like when Magellan emitted the poison gas. It was a good shift in tone coming from the pacing beforehand. How they conveyed Luffy feeling the effects of the poison with visual and auditory hallucinations was really well done.
Jan 7, 1:45 AM

Dec 2022
I want Bon Clay to disappear from my screen and never come back. He's so fucking annoying.

Jan 27, 12:22 PM

Oct 2019
what's gonna happen next 😭😭
Apr 30, 10:22 PM

Dec 2022
shockingly well done, really captured how badly Shit Man fucked Luffy up
May 23, 1:08 PM

Jun 2017
luffy getting ragdolled.I don't see him beating Warden unless he uses his Haki or by the power of friendship..cough
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1120 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Yesterday

18 by Cersil »»
9 minutes ago

» The most attractive person in the show? ( 1 2 )

tommygunn34 - Sep 17

90 by ShyBD »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1090 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jan 13

94 by Atlas77 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1070 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Jul 29, 2023

322 by eustasskidd11 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1067 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Jul 1, 2023

88 by eustasskidd11 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.