Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 30, 2016 8:58 AM

Jun 2015
metsujin said:
katsaroulhs said:

Yes, but not doing anything, when you know you are one of the very few who can help, is worse.

Also I am not talking about his very first encounter. Everyone would piss their pants if they had to fight a monster like that for the first time. It feels like Shinji has almost no development. He stays the same negative, frail and pathetic little kid, even after helping AND getting recognized.

Always saw him as a "Why me? I never asked for this." type of person, which on some level is understandable to be honest.

Yeah exactly.
Why him? Who cares. Just make a choice and stick by it. He could have just denied the invititation from the start, thus never taking part in any of this.

As I have said, I didn't hate him at all. As a character. He was ok. But, he pissed me off so many times because he kept acting like a little, when he had previously shown maturity.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 30, 2016 9:14 AM

Mar 2010
katsaroulhs said:
He didn't have any development. He was simply waiting to notice him. Throwing tantrums around. He actually became worse.
Shinji becomes more expressive and open to the people around him. After interacting with Rei, he becomes more accepting of his role as an EVA pilot and doesn't voice a single complaint (he dives in lava to save Asuka without the proper equipment, he takes the task to stop Jet Alone, he gets into EVA Unit 02 and helps Asuka defeat an Angel, and so on). We see Shinji in a whole new light as he competes with Asuka, openly argues with her, and engages with her during episode 9. He expresses confidence in his ability to handle EVA. If that's not development, what is? He wasn't simply waiting for Gendo to notice him, his goal was to possibly get revenge on him and to free himself of him - Misato talks at length about this as the parallel is drawn between her relationship with her father and Shinji's with his. Shinji's preoccupation with people's perception of him and his obvious want to be acknowledged by the father he has mixed feeling about is what leads him astray from this as he becomes more dependent on the EVA and lets his role as its pilot define his identity. Not a single tantrum occurs in those episodes unless you mention the part where he's being psychologically probed by an Angel at one point. Even immediately after that and being near death, he doesn't voice a desire not to pilot until the incident in episode 18 despite the trauma clearly affecting him (he comes back the next episode because he can and wants to). He does the same when he's absorbed by EVA Unit 01 for a month, he acts as if everything's normal and wants to fulfill his duties as a pilot even when there's clear danger of being contaminated like before.

You're frankly talking out your ass, likely out of dislike for the character.
Jan 30, 2016 9:15 AM

Jan 2014
Although I love HxH but I liked the antagonist more than Gon and Killua. The protagonist I like is Chihaya, she is the only female protagonist that have personality of Shonen male main character.

By the way why so much Shinji Ikari? I'm curious. I only watch 1st and 2nd movie of Evangelion and didn't notice anything interestig about him, what should I watch to get know more about Shinji?
Jan 30, 2016 9:17 AM

Jun 2015
It seems there is something wrong with your reading comprehension skills.

How many times do I need to say I do not dislike him as a character?
He is just neither very well written, nor "realistic".
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 30, 2016 9:20 AM

Jun 2015
Ah, changing the subject now, are we?
Jan 30, 2016 9:24 AM

Oct 2014
Shinji feels like he has only been done complex for the sake of being complex. He didn't feel "well done" at all to me, unless one considers "being complex" alone as making a character interesting, but I don't think so.
Jan 30, 2016 9:27 AM

Mar 2010
katsaroulhs said:

Didn't read that.

Doesn't change the fact you were objectively wrong regardless of your apparently uninformed opinion of a character you like.
Jan 30, 2016 9:31 AM

Jun 2015
Grey-Zone said:
Shinji feels like he has only been done complex for the sake of being complex. He didn't feel "well done" at all to me, unless one considers "being complex" alone as making a character interesting, but I don't think so.

What is "complex for the sake of being complex"? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Shinji might not be likeable to all viewers, but he is relatable and fleshed out.

HiatusXHiatus said:
By the way why so much Shinji Ikari? I'm curious. I only watch 1st and 2nd movie of Evangelion and didn't notice anything interestig about him, what should I watch to get know more about Shinji?

>Eva rebuild movies

There's your answer.
Jan 30, 2016 9:38 AM

Jul 2015
Emiya Shirou ...................
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 30, 2016 9:40 AM

Jan 2014
TonyTheme said:
MagicalMahou said:
His development in the second season was some of the best I've seen in the realm of literature, taking into account the subtle dialogue and problems he shares with the two main heroines and his relationships with other people. The changes seem small but this is a huge step forward, in my eyes.
There is nothing subtle to be found in Yahari and the circumstances that surround his development are as contrived and as unreal as his methods of self-sacrifice and helping people.

I don't think we're talking about the same person, since Hachiman said himself that he did what he did for selfish reasons, more hinted at self-degradation which was proven false when he opened up to the girls because of his desire for 'ingenuity' which is all the more selfish and miserable on his part.

>contrived
>and
>unreal

dont they mean the same thing? lol

That's a confirmation bias if I've ever seen one.

Unless you're Professor X or the Second Christ, I don't think any person knows exactly everything about every singular teenage experience so how can you call it unrealistic? It's a pretty biased stance to base characters on how you understand human beings when there are a thousand other interpretations out there. But fine, I'll spoon feed if that makes you feel better.
Recall, the setting of Oregairu is in an elite school which, in turn, selects people who are academically smarter than the rest. Of course, this brings up traits that correlate to being smart which is occasionally 'cynicism' and 'overthinking' since careful listening and being critical is very essential to learning. Hikki's mentality derives from this; his personality based off of experiences which he uses to generalize others in a negative light from what he's experienced and how often he experiences them.
On his characterization, let me say simply this. Your difficulty in relating to or accepting the priorities of the characters doesn't mean they or their priorities are unrealistic or psychologically inverse. If you find it stupid or infantile, that's completely your refusal to understand it. Or at least, try to. And yes, I read your review. That was barely trying.
It's quite a shame Oregairu's being admonished by the same ideas it constantly debunks; that people can completely understand each other.

(If you want to use 'unrealistic' and 'Oregairu' in the same sentence, talk about Yui. How she was able to get admitted into that school is beyond me)
MagicalMahouJan 30, 2016 9:45 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2016 9:47 AM

Jan 2016
Okabe rintaro aka okarin I think he done well when you start to watch steins gate he seems selfish but when the plot progress you see him as a caring person who will do anything for his friends and overall his charisma was to big to not notice it
Jan 30, 2016 10:22 AM

Nov 2015
Not disagreeing with any of the opinions here, but my pick is Yasuri Shichika from Katanagatari, in terms of development. Light is a pretty strong choice too.
Jan 30, 2016 10:44 AM

Jun 2013
TonyTheme said:
katsaroulhs said:
He didn't have any development. He was simply waiting to notice him. Throwing tantrums around. He actually became worse.
Shinji becomes more expressive and open to the people around him. After interacting with Rei, he becomes more accepting of his role as an EVA pilot and doesn't voice a single complaint (he dives in lava to save Asuka without the proper equipment, he takes the task to stop Jet Alone, he gets into EVA Unit 02 and helps Asuka defeat an Angel, and so on). We see Shinji in a whole new light as he competes with Asuka, openly argues with her, and engages with her during episode 9. He expresses confidence in his ability to handle EVA. If that's not development, what is? He wasn't simply waiting for Gendo to notice him, his goal was to possibly get revenge on him and to free himself of him - Misato talks at length about this as the parallel is drawn between her relationship with her father and Shinji's with his. Shinji's preoccupation with people's perception of him and his obvious want to be acknowledged by the father he has mixed feeling about is what leads him astray from this as he becomes more dependent on the EVA and lets his role as its pilot define his identity. Not a single tantrum occurs in those episodes unless you mention the part where he's being psychologically probed by an Angel at one point. Even immediately after that and being near death, he doesn't voice a desire not to pilot until the incident in episode 18 despite the trauma clearly affecting him (he comes back the next episode because he can and wants to). He does the same when he's absorbed by EVA Unit 01 for a month, he acts as if everything's normal and wants to fulfill his duties as a pilot even when there's clear danger of being contaminated like before.

You're frankly talking out your ass, likely out of dislike for the character.

Thanks god, we are saved! Jesus is finally accepting his divine mission o/.

Shinji is a 14 years old child and is fucked up in the head. He's a logically written, great and realistic character and it's pretty easy to understand his attitude and outlook on life. He is miserable, whiny but very intriguing and real.
I wish people would stop limiting their view of NGE to just its surface level, so that they might actually begin to see the big picture.

I love your realism, Irony level is also strong.

Yea best pussy running-away selfish mediocre weak minded unstable emo looser victimized chosen one teen. Dat epitome of wishfulfilment in many ways i guess.
Keep self projecting everywan~ and get your congratulations! I sure hope it might help you!

Well, shinji do not like to be disturbed and i agree with that!
Jan 30, 2016 10:47 AM

Jun 2015
TonyTheme said:
katsaroulhs said:

Didn't read that.

Doesn't change the fact you were objectively wrong regardless of your apparently uninformed opinion of a character you like.

Because what you call "development", I call necessary adaptability. I never got the feeling that he was getting better. It felt like he was playing along.
Seiya0890 said:

Wise words.
Jan 30, 2016 10:52 AM
Jul 2018
katsaroulhs said:
metsujin said:

Always saw him as a "Why me? I never asked for this." type of person, which on some level is understandable to be honest.

Yeah exactly.
Why him? Who cares. Just make a choice and stick by it. He could have just denied the invititation from the start, thus never taking part in any of this.

As I have said, I didn't hate him at all. As a character. He was ok. But, he pissed me off so many times because he kept acting like a little, when he had previously shown maturity.

You guys are probably aren't familiar with the term "Reverse Character Development" and that's the case concerning Shinji, from the first episode of NGE you are met with Shinji as perfect as he could be and as the story progresses it starts peeling off layer after layer from Shinjis Character by presenting to you his fears, thoughts, needs and past images which in turn helps you get in to his psyche and for the untrained eye (in your cases i might say) yes this might come off as whining but its actually not.
Jan 30, 2016 10:59 AM

Jun 2013
katsaroulhs said:
metsujin said:

Yeah exactly.

"I didn't like him because he didn't do what I wanted him to do, why is he depressed anyways grr, why can't he be psychologically stable when I want him to be!!!"
Jan 30, 2016 11:14 AM

Jun 2015
Triple-A said:
katsaroulhs said:

Yeah exactly.

You guys are probably aren't familiar with the term "Reverse Character Development" and that's the case concerning Shinji, from the first episode of NGE you are met with Shinji as perfect as he could be and as the story progresses it starts peeling off layer after layer from Shinjis Character by presenting to you his fears, thoughts, needs and past images which in turn helps you get in to his psyche and for the untrained eye (in your cases i might say) yes this might come off as whining but its actually not.

Ok. There is a term for everything. I prefer the "whiny wuss for no reason" term.
Each to his own.
TyrelJan 30, 2016 12:04 PM
Seiya0890 said:

Wise words.
Jan 30, 2016 11:15 AM

Jun 2015
katsaroulhs said:
TonyTheme said:
Didn't read that.

Because what you call "development", I call necessary adaptability. I never got the feeling that he was getting better. It felt like he was playing along.

He is changing as a character. Therefore, it's character development.
Jan 30, 2016 11:17 AM

Jul 2013
katsaroulhs said:
TonyTheme said:
Didn't read that.

Character development doesn't necessarily mean a person changing to become a better person. It could also be the opposite.
Jan 30, 2016 11:17 AM

Jun 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
katsaroulhs said:

No he is not changing. he is pretending to change. Therefore he stays the same.

Did I say it's bad? No.
But please stop with the "he is so deep and realistic, he is depressed and pushed by everyone blah blah blah". He is just a weak kid, thrown into a hellhole.
Seiya0890 said:

Wise words.
Jan 30, 2016 11:18 AM

Jun 2013
katsaroulhs said:
Triple-A said:

Ok. There is a term for everything. I prefer the "whiny wuss for no reason" term.
Each to his own.
Bioshocked said:
"I didn't like him because he didn't do what I wanted him to do, why is he depressed anyways grr, why can't he be psychologically stable when I want him to be!!!"

You are an imbecile. Nothing more to say.

Insulting me is not an argument. Shinji has so much character development I don't even know how you didn't get the show was around his depression and the people around him having their own problems, mate.
Jan 30, 2016 11:19 AM

Mar 2014
JustALEX said:
Lol @ you people saying shinji...

You guys understand that one of the key and most important traits to any protagonist is to have a transition or what many people like to call "character development".

You could argue there was some...but not enough.

Shinji more or less stays the same almost the entire anime.

And NO...I'm not gonna count any of the movies...the 26 episode anime is what matters most.
Wrong

He does receive character development

The thing is that unlike most characters that get character development he develops backwards instead of forward
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 30, 2016 11:21 AM

Jun 2013
ITT: Ignorant people thinking everything has to be good in the end to be development

You guys should've payed more attention in English class.
Jan 30, 2016 11:25 AM

Jun 2015
katsaroulhs said:
AltoRoark99 said:

Did I say it's bad? No.
But please stop with the "he is so deep and realistic, he is depressed and pushed by everyone blah blah blah". He is just a weak kid, thrown into a hellhole.

No he is not "pretending to change". I don't even know where you got that from.
Jan 30, 2016 11:26 AM

Mar 2015
natsume takashi from natsume yuujinchou. i think this pic explain how many effort in detail author put in character

reading trough the thread, this is the reason why i think character development is overrated.
KumaJan 30, 2016 11:32 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 30, 2016 11:28 AM

Jun 2015
Bioshocked said:
katsaroulhs said:

Each to his own.

You are an imbecile. Nothing more to say.

Insulting me is not an argument. Shinji has so much character development I don't even know how you didn't get the show was around his depression and the people around him having their own problems, mate.

Ah I see what you are saying now.

When a characters becomes complete shit and annoying throughout a show WITHOUT ANY REASON, this is called "backwards development".

And who told you I didn't notice the nature of the show? We are not arguing the goals od the anime itself, or the connections between the characters/plot points. We are arguing about the (nonexistent) development of the main character, even though his surroundings provided plenty opportunities for him to develop and grow.

It's like he said "fuck it, I am gonna get more depressed and weak on purpose".

Oh well. The anime was almost perfect, from start to finish.
AltoRoark99 said:
katsaroulhs said:

Did I say it's bad? No.

From the fact that as soon as things started looking grim again, he became worse.
Seiya0890 said:

Wise words.
Jan 30, 2016 11:30 AM

Jul 2014
JustALEX said:
Lol @ you people saying shinji...

You guys understand that one of the key and most important traits to any protagonist is to have a transition or what many people like to call "character development".

You could argue there was some...but not enough.

Shinji more or less stays the same almost the entire anime.

And NO...I'm not gonna count any of the movies...the 26 episode anime is what matters most.

Shinji doesn't change in drastic spurts but rather in cycles. That's part of what makes him a brilliant protagonist in my opinion. He's similar to Alex from A Clockwork Orange in that regard.
Take care of yourself

Jan 30, 2016 11:31 AM

Jul 2015
Okabe from S;G.

He went through a lot of character development, and it was done really well.
Jan 30, 2016 11:38 AM

Jun 2013
katsaroulhs said:
Bioshocked said:

When a characters becomes complete shit and annoying throughout a show WITHOUT ANY REASON, this is called "backwards development".

And who told you I didn't notice the nature of the show? We are not arguing the goals od the anime itself, or the connections between the characters/plot points. We are arguing about the (nonexistent) development of the main character, even though his surroundings provided plenty opportunities for him to develop and grow.

Well no, Shinji try and did what he was supposed to do multiple times. Piloting a giant robot to save the world is no easy task for a sad teenager questioning his life. Also, Shinji's weakness is explained perfectly during the show: The hedgehog's dilemma. He does have character development, he does not stay the same throughout the show, he has ups and downs, therefore he is evolving. He wasn't annoying if you take in what kind of life he has, but I guess if you can't relate with him, then it's no use. I don't think this will change the way you see Shinji, but he's a realistic potrayal of "kid trying when he doesn't want to".
Jan 30, 2016 11:44 AM

Jun 2015
Bioshocked said:
katsaroulhs said:

Well no, Shinji try and did what he was supposed to do multiple times. Piloting a giant robot to save the world is no easy task for a sad teenager questioning his life. Also, Shinji's weakness is explained perfectly during the show: The hedgehog's dilemma. He does have character development, he does not stay the same throughout the show, he has ups and downs, therefore he is evolving. He wasn't annoying if you take in what kind of life he has, but I guess if you can't relate with him, then it's no use. I don't think this will change the way you see Shinji, but he's a realistic potrayal of "kid trying when he doesn't want to".

I have come close to depression several times, albeit for completely different reasons. I also have never piloted giant robots to fight huge monsters, so I can't relate to that.

Maybe you can? I do not know.

And that hedgehog dilemma... I remember someone talked about it in the anime (I believe it was Misato? Or maybe Ritsuko?).
So I searched it and it basically means that even though humans want to be together, they will inevitably hurt one another.

It's true... for everyone. So?
Seiya0890 said:

Wise words.
Jan 30, 2016 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
katsaroulhs said:
Triple-A said:

Each to his own.

suit yourself mate i just wanted to highlight what you've probably missed.
Jan 30, 2016 11:47 AM

Jun 2015
katsaroulhs said:
AltoRoark99 said:

From the fact that as soon as things started looking grim again, he became worse.

I'm assuming you mean episode 16. That was clearly a problem too big for him to deal with. And it has nothing to do with how he previously interacted with Rei, Asuka, and the others.

You need to understand that "development" does not mean "getting stronger".

You're looking at NGE from just the surface level and thus you fail to see the big picture.
Jan 30, 2016 11:48 AM

Jun 2015
Triple-A said:
katsaroulhs said:

Each to his own.

suit yourself mate i just wanted to highlight what you've probably missed.

Sorry for this passive aggressive post.

Anyway, NGE was one of those anime that had me glued to the screen, so I didn't miss anything. There were some things that I just couldn't understand.
AltoRoark99 said:
katsaroulhs said:

I'm assuming you mean episode 16. That was clearly a problem too big for him to deal with. And it has nothing to do with how he previously interacted with Rei, Asuka, and the others.

You're looking at NGE from just the surface level and thus you fail to see the big picture.

You are wrong. It was one of the few anime I DIDN'T look at it just from the surface.
Seiya0890 said:

Wise words.
Jan 30, 2016 11:48 AM

Mar 2014
Shirou Emiya from Fate/Stay Night the Visual Novel
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2016 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
Ikari, Shinji.

Abused child gets thrown into an impossible situation and slowly spirals into madness.

Extremely relatable and well-developed character. If I were his age and forced to carry the weight of the entire world on my shoulders, a growing psychotic depression would be the least of my problems.

Definitely one the best MCs in the history of anime. In fact, I automatically label anyone who hates this character an idiot. No offense.
Jan 30, 2016 11:52 AM

Jun 2013
katsaroulhs said:
Bioshocked said:

I have come close to depression several times, albeit for completely different reasons. I also have never piloted giant robots to fight huge monsters, so I can't relate to that.

Maybe you can? I do not know.

And that hedgehog dilemma... I remember someone talked about it in the anime (I believe it was Misato? Or maybe Ritsuko?).
So I searched it and it basically means that even though humans want to be together, they will inevitably hurt one another.

It's true... for everyone. So?

It's true especially in Shinji's case. He knows about it, so he doesn't want to interact with other people that much because it'll end up being the same as it was with his father from his point of view. But then, Shinji opens up to Kaworu, and hey would you look at that, he's different now, almost like.. character development..
Jan 30, 2016 11:58 AM

Jun 2015
katsaroulhs said:
AltoRoark99 said:

You are wrong. It was one of the few anime I DIDN'T look at it just from the surface.

Well to me it sure sounds like that's what you're doing, since you seemingly refuse to look any deeper than "he's a whiny little pussy bitch with daddy issues."
Jan 30, 2016 12:05 PM
Dec 2014
My vote goes to shinji. Here is a funny guide how to act like him. really insightful and it shows how much effort in characterization and consistency has been put into NGE. http://www.wikihow.com/Act-Like-Shinji-Ikari
Jan 30, 2016 12:06 PM

Jun 2015
katsaroulhs said:
TonyTheme said:
That's completely true if you ignore most of the series like episodes 7-16. His change in character is even outright commented on and he does not voice a single compliant as he grows into his role as a pilot before understandably regressing due to pivotal events in the series (and even then, he doesn't complain and expresses desire go out to help both Asuka and Rei when they're in danger despite being grounded). His almost refusal to grow up as he falls into his role more readily, particularly when he comments on his reason for piloting after receiving praise from his Father during episode 12 (in contrast to his initial goal to move away from him) is a vital part of the series.

He didn't have any development. He was simply waiting for his daddy to notice him. Throwing tantrums around. He actually became worse.

The show's not tagged as dementia for no reason
-
OT: Kurosawa in Onani Master Kurosawa was really good, though it's a manga. I was disgusted by him in the beginning, but as the story moved along, he quickly became one of my favorite protagonists.
ixaaJan 30, 2016 12:09 PM
Jan 30, 2016 12:06 PM

Sep 2011
Thread cleaned

No baiting please or you'll be banned. This topic so far is good. There's no simple listing so this thread will remain open for now as long it's kept like that without long periods of simple listing with zero reason. People who try and do this on purpose will receive a warning/ban.
Jan 30, 2016 1:17 PM

Oct 2014
Emiya Shirou. He's a total baller with some incredibly poignant character development. The only reason people don't like him is because they think his ideals are immature (which is half the point of the damn game you idiot). Also, Kiritsugu is a poorly written edgelord with no personality and would not have had any depth if not for some last minute character development and a two episode long flashback that comes out of nowhere.

Dr. Tenma from Monster is another really good one who never gets talked about, mainly because Johann Liebert is such a showstealer. Shinji Ikari is obviously overhated. Gon Freecs is surprisingly underrated, given that he comes from such a popular series. Alibaba Saluja is awesome as well, he's one of those MCs that truly goes through a total (and well done) metamorphosis over the course of his series.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Jan 30, 2016 1:48 PM

Oct 2015
Akane Tsunemori From Psycho Pass
From a rookie with constant doubt and hesitation to a full on badass that can deal with situations with a focus and determination , an Epitome of character development plus she is cute as hell ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Simon From TT Gurren Lagann
Again sublime character development and simple yet cool design that goes hand in hand with another character that I feel served a big role in Simon's Character's growth

Kakeru Kurosawa From Onani Master Kurosawa
Character Growth & changing oneself by going through hardships as well as fighting every obstacles in his way , Kurosawa is so relatable for me to a certain degree ( not the Onani part ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )
OddManfiestoJan 30, 2016 2:41 PM
Jan 30, 2016 1:52 PM

Jul 2015
Horatio_Nelson said:
Emiya Shirou. He's a total baller with some incredibly poignant character development. The only reason people don't like him is because they think his ideals are immature (which is half the point of the damn game you idiot). Also, Kiritsugu is a poorly written edgelord with no personality and would not have had any depth if not for some last minute character development and a two episode long flashback that comes out of nowhere.

While I totally agree with your views on Kerry and Shirou I don't think it's really most people's fault .Ufotable didn't really put much emphasis on his character in the anime and as a result many of his decisions were simply seen as him being retarded .After rewatching the anime when I had read the VN route I noticed that there were a few scenes which I barely even remembered yet were actually hints to his character e.g
Then again it could be seen as people's fault since they don't even try to understand but in truth UBW doesn't present itself as such a thought provoking anime .
Jan 30, 2016 1:58 PM

Aug 2014
Horatio_Nelson said:

Oh yeah I forgot Shirou! I find it a shame that so many people hate him, but can you really blame people for not understanding him, when most people don't watch anime to analyse it and go into depth about it? Kiritsugu isn't as great as Shirou, but I wouldn't say he is a poorly written edgelord who had no depth prior to the last 5 episodes.

And while we are at it, I would also say Battler from Umineko. Not only is his design amazing, but the way he changes from ep to ep is amazing. Best part is when he realizes

And only continues to get better from thereon.
Jan 30, 2016 2:06 PM

Jul 2015
Snappynator said:
Horatio_Nelson said:

Oh yeah I forgot Shirou! I find it a shame that so many people hate him, but can you really blame people for not understanding him, when most people don't watch anime to analyse it and go into depth about it? Kiritsugu isn't as great as Shirou, but I wouldn't say he is a poorly written edgelord who had no depth prior to the last 5 episodes.

And while we are at it, I would also say Battler from Umineko. Not only is his design amazing, but the way he changes from ep to ep is amazing. Best part is when he realizes

;_;

I can't believe I forgot Battler .I'm ashamed to not have mentioned him yet have him on my faves list .

Oh lord I can imagine what would happen if someone made an Umineko anime .
Jan 30, 2016 2:11 PM

Oct 2015
Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya: he's smart and not air-headed, and you get to listen to that very fascinating thought process of his.
Jan 30, 2016 2:16 PM

Aug 2014
SodiumChloride said:
Snappynator said:

;_;

I can't believe I forgot Battler .I'm ashamed to not have mentioned him yet have him on my faves list .

Oh lord I can imagine what would happen if someone made an Umineko anime .

"Battler is such an idiot"
"WHY CANT HE JUST ACCEPT MAGIC IS REAL??!"
"I dropped this cuz Battler is too stupid"

Basically what I would expect tbh.
Jan 30, 2016 5:55 PM

Jan 2016
I just finished watching Guilty Crown and I have to say, I find Shu to be a great protagonist. He really matured throughout the show, becoming a sin eater, to protect everyone. He had always been a caring person and for him to transition into a leader that had to show strength through force and intimidation was hard for him, but he carried on because he knew that it was the only way. In his situation it would have been impossible to control the masses without an iron fist, sure he went a bit overboard at times and lost his sanity for a few split seconds, but in reality people have done way worse things for less noble reasons. Without his harsh methods most of the people at the school wouldn't have survived.

After losing his arm and being betrayed by the people that he had protected, he didn't harbor any hate or resentment towards them, because he too despised himself for what he had done, showing a great deal of empathy for people who had wronged him. In the end he even hoped to selflessly sacrifice himself by absorbing all of the corruption in the world, yes Inori was dying and he wanted to transcend with her but he still didn't have to do what he did.

Despite a few moments of self doubt and self loathing, he did a great job.

On a side note, the author should have let him die with Inori, she was his world, she was the only thing that he needed. Taking her away from him was just cruel, he literally lost everything all over again. To me it would have made more sense for him to kill himself after saying goodbye to everyone, than to live a life where you have nothing left and you have nothing to look forward to, a life where all you can see is darkness.

Or they could have opted for a happier ending, I wouldn't have minded shacking him up with Ayase.

Jan 30, 2016 6:45 PM

May 2010
Male: badass, cool and plain awesome, with sexy design/voice. Different from your normal boring protagonist, making unusal or unexpected choices. I won't be including Light or Lelouch, that'd be too obvious :D

Tomoya Okazaki
Kiritsugu Emiya
Keiichi Maebara
Keima Katsuragi
Battler Ushiromya

Female: Ones that actually have something interesting to say, and/or are cute and funny at the same time.
Tohru Honda
Rika Furude
Risa Koizumi
Usagi Tsukino
Tomoko Kuroki

Additional: Ikumi Amasawa from Moon. visual novel. She might not be one of my no.1 favourites, but I rarely see a female character this complex anywhere. Perverted in a twisted way, seeking love and acknowledgement, while deep inside being disgusted by her own behavior. That's pretty dark, but I loved it, totally unexpected.
Jan 30, 2016 7:32 PM

Jan 2016
TitanAnteus said:
There are people out there that like that anime?

It has over 350k members, so I guess so?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why Ecchi is good for the anime industry

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

16 by Anjuro »»
3 minutes ago

» Is Shojo Anime making a comeback?

RedTea33 - 4 hours ago

4 by NotActuallyReal »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » How dominant is anime in the content you consume?

RobertBobert - 10 hours ago

28 by NotActuallyReal »»
18 minutes ago

» Do all anime studios have a “trash” anime?

Tabbs919 - 9 hours ago

15 by Zedlin »»
26 minutes ago

» How does the portrayal of good and evil in anime reflect cultural values and societal norms?

Gashadokur0 - 8 hours ago

6 by Zedlin »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.