Forum Settings
Forums

Did getting into anime spark your interest in learning Japanese at all?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 29, 2016 6:59 AM

May 2015
Yes. I didn't want to live in Japan before I got interested in anime so you could say it definitely sparked my interest. I've picked up quite a lot of phrases from it already.

tfw no Japanese class in my school
Jan 29, 2016 7:03 AM

Jul 2014
I like watching Anime but to Learn Japanese was and never will be something I want to do. It's not bad but that's too hard to do even if it was easy. I've actually been watching a lot of Anime lately in English Dubbed more often than subbed anyway(unless it's the only way to watch said Anime)that it's never bothered me anymore now. I don't have a lot of Japanese Voice Overs that I care for to be honest nor have they been memorable for me lately but that's my opinion.
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Jan 29, 2016 7:33 AM

Aug 2015
Not really. What gave me an interest in the Japanese language, kanji, not really speaking it is the fact that I am a wood worker and use Japanese waterstones to sharpen my tools. That has also expanded into sharpening outdoor knives, kitchen knives, razors, etc. As I like to use an collect natural stones understanding specific kanji has almost become a necessity. This is because many of the sources used for procuring these stones are written in Japanese but you can email your order form in English. However, knowing the basic kanji for stone type, mine, strata, etc is helpful.

Would it be interesting to learn the Japanese language, sure it would but it seems to be rather difficult. I have a hard enough time keeping up with English and Spanish as it is. My upbringing certainly did not give me an advantage in learning languages. There was butchered colloquial English and hillbilly.

That said, I do find that I rather enjoy watching subs because there is something soothing about the Japanese language.
Jan 29, 2016 9:38 AM

Sep 2014
Nope but I know what oppai means now, guess that's something. I also learned what honorifics are like -kun, -san, -chan, etc. didn't understand those at all before and I only watch dubs....
BigT232Jan 29, 2016 9:41 AM

Add me on League of Legends: BigT - NA Server
Jan 29, 2016 9:48 AM

Jun 2012
The only spark of interest I got to learn Japanese was from following manga that got dropped by their scanlation groups or works of authors I like never getting picked up. I would drown myself in raws if I were able to read Japanese.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 7, 2016 10:49 PM

Jul 2014
lustinNthrustin said:
Maybe a few phrases/words here and there, but that's about it.
Oh, and FUCK DUBS.

Would you watch Dragon Ball Z in Japanese? Because I know I can't and I know I'm not the only one either.
Feb 8, 2016 1:00 AM

Dec 2015
Yes, I'd love to be able to speak Japanese! And it'd also be great to watch anime without subs.. I have bought a couple of learn Japanese books, but I haven't really had much time to thoroughly look at them yet
Feb 8, 2016 7:45 AM
May 2009
TheHatredDMC said:
lustinNthrustin said:
Oh, and FUCK DUBS.

Would you watch Dragon Ball Z in Japanese? Because I know I can't and I know I'm not the only one either.

After watching Dragon ball Z in the dub that I liked, Not english, I can say I would not be able to stand Goku in Japanese.

Dragon Ball maybe, Z no way.
Feb 8, 2016 8:28 AM

Jul 2013
TheHatredDMC said:
lustinNthrustin said:
Oh, and FUCK DUBS.

Ok ok, DBZ and Death Note the only exceptions.
But that's just because I watched those shows before I really became a fan of anime.
Feb 8, 2016 8:30 AM

Apr 2015
I know like a half-dozen words, most of them common weeaboo words, so no.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 8, 2016 8:31 AM
Sep 2015
None of those choices actually. I've always wanted to study an Asian language and add it to my repertoire, but I didn' really mind which one it would be as long as I was motivated to do so. I originally planned to learn Korean because I had great interest in the Korean LoL scene but after I started watching anime I have passively learned many words so I think I might want to study Japanese instead. But I haven't started yet. I'll learn Japanese after I finish with my studies.
Feb 8, 2016 9:04 AM
Jan 2016
TheHatredDMC said:
lustinNthrustin said:
Oh, and FUCK DUBS.

Does Dragon Ball Kai count? Because I watched it in Japanese with no problems. I didn't mind the voices.

When it comes to learning Japanese, I would love to, but I'm too thick and not motivated enough to actually carry it out. It would take a lot of time and effort, and while I have the former in spades, the latter is in short supply for me.
Feb 8, 2016 5:34 PM

Feb 2016
Nope, why learn Japanese when Mandarin is far more beneficial.
Feb 8, 2016 5:53 PM

Feb 2016
Will_Wright said:
scottymogal said:
Nope, why learn Japanese when Mandarin is far more beneficial.

That's a very narrow minded view of the question.

just saying learning a language is difficult for me. If I was going to learn a character based language, it would be Mandarin. Try not to take it personally.
Feb 8, 2016 6:01 PM

Feb 2016
I'm a dub girl, sorry. Though the language is very beautiful!
Feb 8, 2016 6:06 PM
May 2015
Yea....like I'm going to learn another language because of one of my hobbies..

Feb 8, 2016 6:50 PM

May 2015
I'm learning a new language but it's not Japanese.
I don't have any intention of learning Japanese in the near or distant future. Reading subs doesn't bother me or take me away from the immersion.
Feb 8, 2016 6:51 PM

Jun 2015
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2016 7:21 PM

Aug 2012
Yes i'd love to learn.. they do some classes over here, so i'll look into that once I attain some funds.
Feb 9, 2016 1:44 AM

Apr 2015
Yes but only after I was majoring another language.
Feb 9, 2016 2:53 AM

Jun 2009
Very much yes. I'm actually thinking of taking Japanese courses soon bc at my level I can pretty much understand general Japanese from listening but I just can't read any of the text. And I'm kind of also interested in playing Japanese games (like Otome games) or reading manga/novels that are rarely translated to english so thats that too.

Feb 9, 2016 4:05 AM

Jun 2015
Just a little bit, but I'm aware I'll probably never learn to speak it because it's ridiculously hard to learn.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Feb 9, 2016 7:47 AM

Feb 2016
well yes ;;
i want to learn it buuut i'm not sure when i'll be able to do it LOL
Feb 9, 2016 11:52 AM

Jul 2013
Lol, fuck no, I don't have time for that. Learning a language is like being in school. No thanks.
Feb 9, 2016 1:05 PM

Mar 2014
For a split second, then I saw the alphabet.
Feb 9, 2016 5:48 PM
Jul 2015
Getting heavily into anime (especially from certain scenes in various shows) has made me aware of just how much I've always been interested in Japan in general. My father used to make a lot of business trips there in the '60's, and he'd bring home pictures, trinket, etc. We've had those roll-up bamboo paintings (I'm sure there's a proper name for them) since then, he used to have a collection of katanas (sold them sometime in the '70's), he had a kimono bathrobe back then. So I've been surrounded by elements of Japan all through my youth, and never really realized it until recently.

I know if I went to Japan for long enough I'd like to visit 2 places; Mt Fuji, and Toyasato.
Feb 12, 2016 11:20 PM

Jul 2014
lustinNthrustin said:
TheHatredDMC said:

Ok ok, DBZ and Death Note the only exceptions.
But that's just because I watched those shows before I really became a fan of anime.

Yay!! Now you can take back "Fuck Dubs" comment back!!!(Exceptions RULE!!!!)
Feb 12, 2016 11:23 PM

Jul 2014
Askorti said:
TheHatredDMC said:

Does Dragon Ball Kai count? Because I watched it in Japanese with no problems. I didn't mind the voices.

When it comes to learning Japanese, I would love to, but I'm too thick and not motivated enough to actually carry it out. It would take a lot of time and effort, and while I have the former in spades, the latter is in short supply for me.

But Dragon Ball Kai uses the same VA's. There's really not much of a difference. I tried watching Kai before it aired in English but couldn't do it. Ended up doing the exact same thing I did with Z: Watched and Enjoyed it in English. I do love the Japanese OP for Kai but that's my only plus.
Feb 13, 2016 6:36 AM

May 2013
It kinda did, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to learn it or anything. However, if I pick up some things here and there, that's fine too.

I watch both dub and sub, but primarily dub.
Feb 13, 2016 11:40 AM

Jun 2014
I have considered it, but I am not sure what use I would have for it.

I love languages, but only study the ones I may have a need for.

Korean is interesting.
Feb 13, 2016 11:46 AM

Oct 2014
Anime played a big part, but honestly wanting to read manga that hasn't been translated was a bigger incentive.
Feb 15, 2016 2:02 PM

Jun 2009
yes! that's why i got into a language high school with japanese as my major, and that was one of the best decisions i have ever made (not only regarding japanese, but my whole life later on)
japanese is now my major in university too, so i guess i never regretted/stopped liking it.
Feb 15, 2016 2:04 PM

Mar 2015
Yes. I was "fluent" in Japanese as a kid, and forgot it all after moving to the States. Q_Q

Didn't think it was a big deal for the longest time because I was all "why does it matter?"... but then I discovered the joys of anime a year ago, and now I'm relearning.
Feb 15, 2016 2:09 PM
Apr 2015
i'd LOVE to learn Japanese.
If only I could add Japanese Studies to my current Accountancy major
but that would violate my contract

i don't have the time to study it online on my own as well, since college, i'm hands full now..
Feb 15, 2016 2:09 PM

Jun 2013
yeh
Feb 15, 2016 2:11 PM

Jul 2015
I don't care at all about learning Japanease, all I know are the most basic of words and stuff and what they mean just from watching subs "Dai-Jou-Bou" "Arigato" shit like that, but nothing more then that.
Feb 16, 2016 9:37 AM
Feb 2016
Definitely. I want to be able to watch non-subbed anime and read non-translated manga. That is my goal, but I don't know if I have the work ethic to keep to it and I don't know how I'd apply Japanese to my everyday English-speaking life.
Feb 16, 2016 6:13 PM

Oct 2015
I really want to be able to do other things while watching anime now... there's so much to get through and I can hardly be staring at the screen the whole time because I have to read the subs. Therefore, it would be great if I could learn Japanese. However, I know it would be extremely difficult... but still easier than enduring dub.
Feb 19, 2016 8:32 AM

Jun 2011
I'd say Anime has certainly sparked my interest in learning Japanese. More than the other languages I would like to learn. I'm currently studying Japanese in College. I still plan to self-study after finishing College.

My main goal with learning Japanese is so I can read and play direct ports of Visual Novels and Video Games in their original forms without relying on subtitles and english text translations. I've always wanted to learn it ever since getting into Anime and it is exciting that it is happening now.
Feb 19, 2016 9:10 AM

Aug 2013
i already had an interest in learning the language before i started watching anime, but i only decided that i would start studying after i watched my first anime. currently studying it now and it's really fun!
Feb 19, 2016 9:33 PM

Jan 2015
In my weeb days absolutely. Before I got into high school I tried learning it on my own through phrase books and dictionaries, then I took it all through high school and for two semesters in university. I was decent enough at it, and I was complimented on my competency using the language when I took a trip to Japan in high school... but because I don't have people to practice with, and because I am one of those people who watches dubs *GASP*, I've lost almost all of the work I went through to learn it. I can maybe remember how to introduce myself and say my age... it's really pathetic.
Feb 19, 2016 9:39 PM

Aug 2013
It did at first, but I didn't really have enough time to devote to it, and still don't, since I have another language on my hand, for when i leave my country.
『パイル』| Twitter
Feb 19, 2016 9:43 PM
Jan 2016
I have interest but what I hear is that a lot of the stuff you hear in anime is slang, something you won't learn in a classroom or wherever you plan on learning Japanese. I would love to learn Japanese and be able to watch without relying on subtitles but it would take a while before I am fully able to understand every little thing that is said.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Would you accept a monochrome anime?

Anjuro - Jun 2

49 by Clonazenyan »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - 11 hours ago

22 by Clonazenyan »»
12 minutes ago

» What makes you identify a bad anime right from the start?

KMIR - 7 hours ago

28 by Shirayukin »»
22 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character that you whole-heartedly hate? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

swirlydragon - Apr 17, 2021

203 by Sheol01 »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » Why is Japan Afraid of Realism in Anime? ( 1 2 )

TheSunLife - Sep 23

58 by Sheol01 »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.