Forum Settings
Forums

The Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread!

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (118) « First ... « 91 92 [93] 94 95 » ... Last »
Jul 5, 2014 3:54 PM

Oct 2012
Definitely can't say the win went to wrong team. Navas was the best player in the match, but he really held the team together by himself. Penalty shots were all classy on Holland's part and the goalkeeper change was a smart move on the coach's part.

GG
Jul 5, 2014 3:54 PM

Oct 2012
Rip Concacaf.
Jul 5, 2014 3:55 PM

Jan 2014
Yes, europe vs S.America, 50:50
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2014 4:02 PM

Jan 2014
Easily the best game of the quarter finals. Finally a game without an early goal being decisive.
Became really intense towards the end!

Would have been nice to have an upset for once but gg anyway.
Jul 5, 2014 4:02 PM

May 2009
I like how Van Gaal had an ace up his sleeve in the form of Tim Krul. This is what he was told by one of his advisors, and so he heeded that advice. And it got him through to the semi-finals, which means Argentina is next in line to face us.

I'm pretty sure Costa Rica was aiming for this from the start. Their play was mostly strong in defensive and weak in offense, and though we had many attempts, none went through. So yeah, their loss (and our win) was truly well-deserved.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2014 4:19 PM

Nov 2013
Welp, we lost. Great game, congrats Netherlands.

Inb4 the final Germany - Netherlands... unless the mafia wants something else. Good Luck!!!
Jul 5, 2014 4:24 PM

Aug 2010
Krul such a beast. Feel sad for Costa Rica but I think Netherlands has better chances against Argentina.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Jul 5, 2014 4:37 PM

Mar 2012
Germany vs Netherlands final, or an Argentina vs Brazil final. 2 really great potential finals with their international rivals.
Jul 5, 2014 5:23 PM

Nov 2011
Yay Krul, hope our team doesn't sell him next season #AshleyOut #PardewIn

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 5, 2014 5:26 PM

Jun 2008
The Argentina/Netherlands match would be interesting. No idea who would come on top.
Jul 5, 2014 5:48 PM

Mar 2012
Damn.

DAMN.

What a game! fucking awesome, I have no words for this, we might even win the cup!!!

woohooooooooooooooo
Jul 5, 2014 5:49 PM

Apr 2013
Tachii said:
The Argentina/Netherlands match would be interesting. No idea who would come on top.

Holland is playing far better than Argentina. With Di María's appearance in doubt, they are favourites. Argentina doesn't win a big game in a WC since 1986(with the hand).

Edit: Di María's appearance is not in doubt, according to Diario Olé from Argentina, he's OUT. Apparently, a muscle injury in the right leg.
FernandoSellJul 5, 2014 6:04 PM
Jul 5, 2014 5:56 PM

Nov 2012
ElPysCongroo said:
Germany vs Netherlands final, or an Argentina vs Brazil final. 2 really great potential finals with their international rivals.
That's why it's going to be Germany vs Argentina. Signed a dutch man.
Jul 5, 2014 7:26 PM

Jun 2008
FernandoSell said:
Tachii said:

Holland is playing far better than Argentina. With Di María's appearance in doubt, they are favourites. Argentina doesn't win a big game in a WC since 1986(with the hand).

Edit: Di María's appearance is not in doubt, according to Diario Olé from Argentina, he's OUT. Apparently, a muscle injury in the right leg.
Di Maria would be a miss but definitely won't turn the tide that much in my opinion. Not like Netherlands is faring that better. :| Narrowly escaping from Mexico and winning a penalty shootout aren't good signs when Argentina was in control of most of their games this World Cup.
Jul 5, 2014 7:37 PM

Apr 2013
Argentina depended on an own goal to beat Bosnia, a goal on the 46th minute and a penalty not given to beat Iran, a goal on the 118th minute to beat Switzerland and a lucky shot to beat Belgium.

Netherlands won 5-1 against Spain, 3-2 against Australia, 2-0 against Chile, 2-1 against Mexico and draw 0-0 against Costa Rica, that you may say was a surprise, but ended 1st in a group with Italy, Uruguay and England.

Netherlands had to pass through big teams (Chile and Mexico had really good players), hard games and well-structured defenses to be in this semifinal. Argentina wouldn't be in it if only Drmic (or the ref from the match against Iran) made one thing right.
Jul 5, 2014 9:03 PM

Jan 2014
So 3/4 of my predictions were right. I had hopes for Costa Rica, but the Netherlands proved themselves once again. I can see the final match being Brazil vs. Argentina. I actually think it would be worse if the Netherlands got 2nd place again.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 6, 2014 3:57 AM

Jun 2013
Netherlands vs Germany please!

Wow, that's soooo exciting.

The game against Costa Rica was pretty tense, Costa Rica really shocked me throughout the game, we actually failed to score against them.

Argentina will be a tough match up but I could see us going through and making it to the finals and hopefully winning the cup. BECAUSE NO ONE WANTS 4 LOSSES AT FINALS. It's unbearable. :c
Jul 6, 2014 4:13 AM

May 2012
Germany easy win. Sorry mijn nederlandse volk.
S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Jul 6, 2014 4:16 AM

Aug 2010
iNaruX said:

Don't know about that. Brasil has a tendency to luck out on a lot of games, at least this world cup has shown that.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Jul 6, 2014 6:30 AM

Jun 2014
I think the finals are going to be Germany vs Netherlands. If it happens then i have no idea who will come out on top and it surely won't be an easy win for Germany as some people say.
Jul 6, 2014 7:42 AM
Feb 2014
Am I the only one who's pulling for Argentina?
Jul 6, 2014 7:59 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Rizeberry said:
Am I the only one who's pulling for Argentina?
I'll be cheering for them probably but I really don't think they'll win

Seems like a European finals to me
Jul 6, 2014 11:08 AM

Jul 2010
A Germany - Netherlands final would be a repeat of exactly 40 years ago. It would be interesting, to say the least.
Jul 6, 2014 12:00 PM

Mar 2012
If we get in the finals and we lose against Germany I'll literally start crying.

If we win too, but then in a different way :$

Can't wait till the next match!!
Jul 6, 2014 12:06 PM

Jun 2014
I was hoping for a Brazil / Argentina final because I am Brazilian and that game would be a classic ending for a world cup in Brazil. I think that anything can happen though, Brazil vs Holland, Brazil vs Argentina, Germany vs Holland and Germany vs Argentina are all possible.

I don't know if Holland is playing better than Argentina or not, for me Argentina looks like a team with talented players but not that good "chemistry" among the players, Holland is more like a team of disciplined and hardworking players that know each other well and form a more cohesive team. Same difference with Brazil and Germany. It's the difference between the schools of football of South America and Northern Europe.

By the mathematical Elo ratings all the 4 teams are well matched:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_Elo_Ratings
Jul 6, 2014 12:07 PM

Sep 2008
pft, colombia vs brazil has shown that officiating dictates the outcome of the game.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
Jul 6, 2014 12:17 PM

Jun 2014
LemanRuss said:
iNaruX said:

Don't know about that. Brasil has a tendency to luck out on a lot of games, at least this world cup has shown that.

Luck out on a lot of games? That's called being a strong team. Football looks like luck but it really isn't. If you look at it, Germany's victories were also down to luck and they didn't even manage to win against Ghana and beat Algeria in the 90 minutes. Same thing with Holland's victory against Mexico and against Costa Rica. Argentina gave me the impression that they controlled well Belgium.

Brazil's victory over Colombia was very clear cut as well. Brazil was clearly superior to Colombia and also superior to Chile (though not so clearly).
Jul 6, 2014 12:21 PM

Jun 2014
kuity said:
pft, colombia vs brazil has shown that officiating dictates the outcome of the game.

I had the impression that Brazil was clearly superior to Colombia.
Jul 6, 2014 12:44 PM

Dec 2013
kuity said:

lol nope
Jul 6, 2014 1:13 PM

Sep 2008
Guaporense said:
kuity said:

I don't know who was the better team in that match to be honest, but 'clearly superior' is the last word I would use to describe that. More importantly, what I'm saying is that the referee set the tone of the match simply by choosing to close one eye to the fouls being committed. In a clean match, who knows what the result would be.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
Jul 6, 2014 1:34 PM

Jan 2014
Jul 6, 2014 4:13 PM

Jun 2008
kuity said:
Guaporense said:

I don't know who was the better team in that match to be honest, but 'clearly superior' is the last word I would use to describe that. More importantly, what I'm saying is that the referee set the tone of the match simply by choosing to close one eye to the fouls being committed. In a clean match, who knows what the result would be.
They gave a penalty to Columbia... there's no such thing as a clean match anyway.
Jul 7, 2014 8:43 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
It's not part of the World Cup, but I just read that Alfredo Di Stefano passed away. I didn't get to see him play, but just by looking at his history he was an icon in Real Madrid.

Jul 7, 2014 8:48 AM

Jun 2014
[quote=FernandoSell]
Tachii said:
Not that big of a loss but that is definitely going to hurt argentina as di maria was a pretty critical midfielder for them. Not good news, since I'm hoping they'll go through the next match
Jul 7, 2014 8:54 AM

Mar 2014
SweetKotomi said:
It's not part of the World Cup, but I just read that Alfredo Di Stefano passed away. I didn't get to see him play, but just by looking at his history he was an icon in Real Madrid.

That's horrible news! I think he was part of the Real equipo that won FIVE international titles in a row, right? I'm very sad to hear this.

Rest In Peace.
Jul 8, 2014 2:02 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28198309
looks like he got away with it
Jul 8, 2014 2:14 AM

Oct 2013
Hm...their 'explanation' why the FIFA can't do anything is redundant. If I remember correctly the FIFA has the right to ascertain such circumstances independently after all. However, I don't think that foul was purposely either.
Jul 8, 2014 2:31 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
ya I think the main difference here is that despite the severe consequences there wasn't any ill will behind that knee, unlike Suarez 100% intentional behaviour
Jul 8, 2014 5:59 AM

Jan 2012
Yeah it was a meaty challenge, that personally, I think was dealt with fairly by the referee. It was definitely a bad tackle but I do not think it was made with any intention to hurt or malice. Football is a physical game and unfortunately this kind of thing can happen. Really sucks for Brazil that this happened to Neymar though.
Jul 8, 2014 6:03 AM

Dec 2013
i can't believe you guys are saying that jumping on a head ball with your knee is normal. It's worse than high foot
Jul 8, 2014 6:11 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
if they suspended players for tackles like that it'd happen like every two-three games
Jul 8, 2014 6:11 AM

Jan 2012
The knee wasn't even raised that much if you watch the playback. Brazil were using physicality to shut down the Columbia striker in a similar way too. Football is a physical game, I think it already suffers from too much encroachment by modern health and safely culture. Football years ago used to be a real battle between sportsmen.

The FA haven't done anything so it wasn't a malicious case.

Really looking forward to tonights game against Germany too but without Neymar this is going to be an even bigger challenge for them.
Jul 8, 2014 6:17 AM

Dec 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_qa75N_oE0

sorry, just watched it again and the clombian player didn't even had the chance to get the ball, there was a body between them.

ReasonDesu said:
The knee wasn't even raised that much if you watch the playback. Brazil were using physicality to shut down the Columbia striker in a similar way too. Football is a physical game, I think it already suffers from too much encroachment by modern health and safely culture. Football years ago used to be a real battle between sportsmen.

The FA haven't done anything so it wasn't a malicious case.

Really looking forward to tonights game against Germany too but without Neymar this is going to be an even bigger challenge for them.

physical =/=MMA

the only thing allowed is shoulder to shoulder, not elbows, knees, a foot on somebody's body or a hand in the face
Jul 8, 2014 6:34 AM

Jan 2012
It looks like how a normal player would rise for a ball. His legs are almost completely vertical and he's jumping. I think the only way he managed to cause so much damage without getting penalized is because it looks like a normal challenge and Neymar is stooped ready to control on his chest so he took it to the spine. The guy definitely meant to come in hard and put him off but I still don't know if you could call it malicious intent. Obviously the FA didn't think so.
Jul 8, 2014 6:46 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Yeah no that definitely does not look that bad to me, I think it'd have been a huge mistake if they'd had penalized him merely for that because if they did I swear they'd have to look into similar matters all the fucking time. I wouldn't even say that's a red card tbh.
Jul 8, 2014 7:05 AM

Dec 2013
ReasonDesu said:
It looks like how a normal player would rise for a ball. His legs are almost completely vertical and he's jumping. I think the only way he managed to cause so much damage without getting penalized is because it looks like a normal challenge and Neymar is stooped ready to control on his chest so he took it to the spine. The guy definitely meant to come in hard and put him off but I still don't know if you could call it malicious intent. Obviously the FA didn't think so.
If he didn't expect the impact he wouldn't lean against neymar's shoulder with his hands. It was a violent foul that deserved red, you don't jump in a football game with your knee in the direction of a player, that's crazy.

Also, that wasn't the first time in the game that he did something violent: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoXR2q1rxQE8rKYKYeYAD8J4nZNMmski1pJlmCq8wQ82UkLGpa

I remind you that i'm not saying that the game was in favour of Colombia, because from what i saw from the game was that he was bad for both sides. I just think that he was violent, broke someon's vertebra, could have made the guy paraplegic and thinks that "it was a normal tackle"
Jul 8, 2014 7:11 AM

Jan 2012
The guy doesn't even need surgery, saying that he almost made him paraplegic is just blowing it out of proportion. It's a bad tackle with no malicious intent and I think the FA dealt with it as they should have.
Jul 8, 2014 7:29 AM

Dec 2013
ReasonDesu said:
The guy doesn't even need surgery, saying that he almost made him paraplegic is just blowing it out of proportion. It's a bad tackle with no malicious intent and I think the FA dealt with it as they should have.

If he had hit a bit to the right, zuniga could have broken that part and damaged neymar's spinal cord and made him paraplegic.

edit: That's like 5 centimeters?

edit:The spinal cord passes through that blank inside the vertebra if you didn't know. What broke is what's in red
Jul 8, 2014 8:52 AM

Mar 2014
I can't wait for the game tonight. So hope Germany advances to the final, otherwise I'll be crying.
Jul 8, 2014 9:01 AM

Jun 2009
Zuniga should've gotten a yellow for that. Unfair challenge, sure, but it's not like he intended to break his friggin' back. To be honest, when I saw it I was thinking "yeah okay get up already you wuss, it can't possibly be THAT bad". I guess the human body is sometimes more vulnerable than you'd think.

It was (really) bad luck for Neymar. It sucks but that's how it goes sometimes.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (118) « First ... « 91 92 [93] 94 95 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.