Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Aug 18, 2017 7:38 AM

Jul 2017
I REALLY need more watamote. One of the series I want a sequel to along with oregairu, haganai, myriad colors, eromanga sensei, and chuunibyou.
Nov 1, 2017 6:28 PM
Oct 2017
So I binge watched the anime while being drunk... It doesn't go well.

At first I was laughing, then angry, then pity, a lot of crying in the middle, and lastly suicidal. Failed at that because I was too drunk at that moment. Either way, that night was rollercoaster of uncomfortable feelings. For a show that spans 6 hours, I pause so much because so many cringe you can relate from your experience, and Tomoko-chan is not helping when she cranks it to 11.

Self-deprecation humor aside, I hate how the directors lead us on her improving herself, but then just showed a episodic disheartening failures for the sadist/masochist to enjoy. Episode 11 was the only the healing part, and it was still so sad. sigh.

My nitpick would be a how a loner fujoshi who constantly collapses and eerily quiet at the corner of the class, have no pay attention from her classmates. Maybe I just live in a different culture, or I don't understand how the Japanese schools does it, but shit, we would we be worried af if there was a classmate like that, and would do in our power to pull her outside her shell or simply tolerate her impulses enough to openly enjoy it with us.

Im'ma give this anime 8/10: it delivered it's purpose to cringe the fuck out of you, but I just wish in my bias for a fellow depressed loner to have it good in life. I know you would wish good fortune if that person relates your pain. :)
Nov 7, 2017 5:33 AM

Aug 2013
the ending kinda ruin it for me

English is my second language
Dec 9, 2017 3:42 AM
Aug 2017
Ediel230 said:
cara esse anime não foi la essas coisas eles erraram muito onde ele não poderiam errar. e muito pouco acertos.
mais vi que quando tinha umas cenas de ação eles mandavam bem, pena que eles não focaram em uma historia boa ou em um desfeche bom.

Pois é! O final ficou um tanto aberto pra mim, assim como foi com Little Witch Academia, só temos o mangá para ler agora, caso uma segunda temporada nunca chegue a acontecer.
Jan 3, 2018 4:21 PM

Oct 2015
That Tomoko got lonely until the end of the series, I really was saddened by that. Who ever this cruel bastard that wrote this deserves a kick in the nuts. It was really funny but I wished she did found some new friends in the end or a lover, because she is so adorable and has personality. I think Imae would make a good potential friend and that guy that gave her an umbrella is a potential lover I think, I would have loved to see the fatass again.

I will watch the ova and hope for s2 some time in the future.

9/10 from me because I really highly appreciated it.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 4, 2018 6:49 AM
Dec 2017
I liked the nod to Another, but we're still hungry for the end of this season.
Feb 24, 2018 5:48 AM

Sep 2012
disappointing ending specially cause there is no S2 cause her issue is unresolved. anime can't end until its resolved!!!

7/10
Mar 15, 2018 11:25 PM

Dec 2017
truly an amazing anime. to show such emotional conflict from a comic perspective. so glad i watched it

and all the people complaining about the ending... sigh. like there's no 'slice of life' tag? the manga is completed? man, the ending was great, she accepted herself instead of denying in ep 1

(and all these references, my god, what a masterpiece)
May 20, 2018 5:48 PM

Jun 2016
That was a really big time skip. We only recently really started to see Tomoko come out of her shell and get better at being herself and making it through social situations. I appreciate how this mimicked the first episode, the episode itself made me feel warm inside, I love seeing Tomoko do well for herself, but there's something questionable about it. I wish that instead of getting the first half or so episodes following the same routine, that we immediately started going in the direction that the last half took. Perhaps we could have gotten the firework on the roof episode as episode 3 instead as it was the first super meaningful moment in my eyes. I understand that Tomoko's little cousin pitying her was supposed to feel like one of her lowest moments before things started to go well, so it could have retained that. I think episode 9+ are where it got really special in development. Either the anime could have done that, reordered the episodes to showcase the important ones that developed Tomoko rather than everything, or it could have stayed the way it was and be twice as long. If this was 24 episodes then the journey that was just recently actually established could have continued.

That's my biggest problem with this. As much as I relate to Tomoko. As much as I thought she was a very sad but genuinely well written character. As much as I liked the directing details. As much as I loved the music and art. As much as I liked how supporting characters illuminated exactly the point that Tomoko was always missing. As much as I like all of this, I would boil down the first 8 or so episodes as: A pretty well written character with incredible social anxiety issues and an escapist personality tries to be extroverted and popular on a journey of finding herself, that journey doesn't go anywhere and entails her listening to some people she's envious of, trying to do something to make her popular she misunderstood, embarrassing herself, and ending on a high note. Is her character developing? Not really. Is there something meaningful being said here other than, look at how silly anxious youth is? Not in my mind. Does this formula get predictable and do the jokes always end up being so as well? Yes because the butt of every joke is how Tomoko misunderstands something and makes a fool of herself. I love the idea behind Watamote. I love Tomoko. I love the honest portrayal of anxiety done in Watamote. But these first 8 or so episodes are bare minimum, they don't build off each other very much and they struggle to do anything new. They did establish Tomoko further and further but not to a major degree. And if the show was 24 episodes or had a season 2 then this wouldn't be that much of an issue. It would still, but it would not be as big. Because of this I see the first 8 or so episodes as a 5/10. It's functional, it has some good ideas, but they stagnate and don't go anywhere.

Episodes 9+ started to focus more and more of Tomoko realizing what she wants in honest terms, being honest with herself, trying to bear with painful situations rather than avoid them, or even pursue them at times. They had her getting out of her own head, they had her learn how to have fun and meet and hang out with some beautiful people. This final episode was even a great one at showcasing her development in some smart ways and if it didn't have this time skip that changed her as a character, it would have been awesome. This was only the first couple foot steps in doing something rather than putting a couple stagnating ideas on display though. No matter how much I love the ideas, and no matter how warm it felt to watch Tomoko grow, we only took a few baby steps in this direction. That's not enough to make me give it a 6 even, if it was like this the whole time then maybe, but my 6/10's are shows that are entertaining and manage to make something relatively good out of themselves. Watamote didn't do that yet, it only started to. Because of that, I view this as a functional show with potential, that never reached it and I give it a 5/10.

To touch on what I liked about this episode:
Oct 21, 2018 9:55 PM

Jun 2016
LMAO,I watched all the episodes in a single day. it was very entertaining,there is no 2nd season damn!
Dec 18, 2018 5:16 PM

Aug 2018
Tomoko is a very believable character, many times during this show i had to pause and do something else to get over the cringing, seeing her actions reflect my past self was unbearable, i wanted to give her some tips like she was a real person. AMAZING
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Dec 20, 2018 12:07 PM
Sep 2018
That Another reference though.
Jan 3, 2019 3:07 AM

Aug 2014
still hurts that this show didn't get a second season :(
Jun 29, 2019 1:49 AM
Jul 2018
i liked this anime~ very relatable at times.
Jul 7, 2019 4:02 AM

Jan 2016
yes, Kuroki, it doesn't even matter! It was a fun ride. Now I need to watch the OVA and start reading the manga.

8/10
Jul 12, 2019 3:34 PM

Oct 2017
Damn,that was kinda disappointed ending 7/10
Feb 3, 2020 1:41 PM

May 2016
No improvement at all... 6/10
Apr 27, 2020 11:36 AM

May 2015
RobinTheKing said:
yes, Kuroki, it doesn't even matter! It was a fun ride. Now I need to watch the OVA and start reading the manga.

8/10

You are going to love the manga, Tomoko goes through such an enormous character development that she becomes an almost completely different person. She's still a pervert though
May 28, 2020 5:45 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was entertaining! Got a little stale towards the latter end but a blast nevertheless.

More references, this time to Another and Terra Formers. It's amazing how natural they feel and I've to say, yet again, Kuroki really knows her stuff xD.

Imae-san is a seriously good senpai. I was thinking she would like show her true color after the panties flashing scene but good that didn't happen, lol. And that hug from last episode too following Kuroki's depression strike as a result of Yuu-chan leaving - sweet.

Hilarious how the whole cockroach scene was handled by the way with the addition of the complex camera angles to intensify it.

Finally that running scene at the very end, lol. Quality was fantastic for one thing and the Op in the background really fit in well. Personally, I found it mad hilarious how Yuu-chan abandoned chasing her for a kitty out of the blue lmao. Friendship is a fickle concept, isn't it?

All in all, this has been a fantastic watch! Couldn't help but lol numerous times so enjoyment was ample, for sure. But it kind of got a little stale of sorts towards the end, if I'm to be brutally honest. Plus, it kind of ended on a random note too.

Character development for Kuroki was obviously a missing factor but such is the premise of the show so I can let that slide.

Op and ED themes plus some of the soundtracks, albeit unnoticeable for the most bit, was another department done well, imo. I'm going to miss the wildness of this Op, lol. Hatsune Miku ED theme for one of the mid episodes was my pick among the EDs.

No complaints on the VA acting department either.

A solid 8/10, as such.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 9, 2020 8:10 PM

Sep 2017
In the 12 episodes we got this series is really nothing special. Some comedy with lots of uncomfortable and depressing moments. Some people probably got a lot more laughs out of it than I. Still the tonal shift towards the end makes me wan't to check out the manga. I feel there will be some real character development and emotional payoff if it were to continue.
Jul 9, 2020 4:30 PM

Jan 2020
It's too relatable to the point that it hurts.
Aug 8, 2020 12:44 AM

Sep 2016
Wow, that was easily the worst episode. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I read the manga I would have probably hated the entire series. I was going to give it a 9/10, but this episode made me drop the score to 8/10.
Aug 9, 2020 4:14 AM

Dec 2013
The last epiyshould be the previous one. I hope there's season 2 though. I will read the manga in the future

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Aug 18, 2020 5:16 PM
Nov 2019
This is so relatable and funny oh god
Sep 30, 2020 6:04 PM

Aug 2020
I don't know why but Tomoki playing soccer was oddly attractive..

Nov 6, 2020 9:56 PM

May 2017
We so need a season 2!
Feb 5, 2021 3:58 PM

Nov 2016
Maybe it was better when no one gave a fuck about her after all, better than being the weirdo.

Not the greatest final episode, but running in panic and Another reference were nice xD In the end the status quo was kept and damn, still no second season. Maybe I'm gonna pick up the manga now, even if there won't be much development. I love this type of dark comedy that makes fun of daily struggle and awkward situations. It gives us the chance to laugh about ourselves instead of worrying or getting worked up. Wish there were more series like this. I'm not socially anxious, but I have my error moments and could relate to some of the stuff on an emotional and conceptual level. Tomoko's characterisation was also well done and made it easy to symphatize.

@nanajp @SnowfairyX

Without spoiling anything, I highly recommend to try out the manga.
FMmatronApr 2, 2021 6:29 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 23, 2021 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
And so, this is the end of the anime adaptation. No season 2 for Watamote... yet? What was with that ending. I don't have any words for this episode, but I'm going to whine about "this anime must have season 2". Where is season 2? I hope I will still be alive then for all seasons. Please! Tomoko, hang in there! You can do it!
Apr 1, 2021 11:57 PM

Nov 2007
nanajp said:
And so, this is the end of the anime adaptation. No season 2 for Watamote... yet? What was with that ending. I don't have any words for this episode, but I'm going to whine about "this anime must have season 2". Where is season 2? I hope I will still be alive then for all seasons. Please! Tomoko, hang in there! You can do it!

I haven’t been much of a manga reader for a while but I think this will be one of those series I’m going to start reading the manga for since the chance for a 2nd season at this point is slim to none.
Jun 23, 2021 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
this anime is really great with references, recognized another and snk in this one. in the end, i really enjoyed watching this anime. it did get boring or maybe a little bad at times, but managed to actually do a good job realistic job at portraying social anxiety and stuff like that while also staying funny and entertaining so i'll give it a solid 5/10. ending was an absolute banger as well, really love sewerslvt's remix of it.
Jul 29, 2021 3:03 PM

Nov 2017
Mayne, you don't know fear until you've been in the same room as a cockroach that knows how to fly (even worse if it's toward you). If Tomoko did that in one of my classes she'd get her props fer sure.

And that is that. So just like in the first episode, she's kinda back where she started. Looking up the same term, in her room alone but this time she's like, "Eff it, who cares?"

I would hope this is her "A-ha" moment where she stops caring what others think and just does her thing. In high school, it can be a difficult time to do so (stop caring what others think that is), but the sooner the better that's what I learned.

I guess sketching Tomoko a bunch recently was a good idea after all 'cause this anime was better than I remembered. I would actually like a 2nd season of this because while the social situations ranged from mildly amusing to wince worthy, I would like to see Tomoko win y'know?

Also, that whole running scene with the OP playing in the background was pretty damn good
Aug 21, 2021 10:03 AM

Jul 2015
Oh gosh, it is finally over. I wish I didn't start watching this show at all. Nothing good has ever happened throughout the 12 episode timespan. In conclusion part, she didn't progress her social skills at all. 2/10
Nov 11, 2021 1:43 PM
Sep 2021
it put SUCH A HUGE SMILE on my face when in the end, she just laughed it off and said it doesnt matter. i always feel like an imposter whenever i hang out in groups, and people hang out without me, so i just felt so unwanted most of the time, but this show taught me that, well, who cares? if its fun even if youre just trying to fit in, its worth it. i love this show so much, they did a HUGE 180 in the last couple of episodes, and made me love this show so much.
Mar 30, 2022 11:02 PM

Jul 2019
This is a bit difficult to rate. It was painful to watch at times, due to the fact that it hits a little too close to home. I recognize some of Tomokos reasoning from my own when I was younger and the feeling of being alone and unseen hurts. At the same time it was very funny and I had some hopes that Tomoko would grow and develop into a more confident, while still weird and slightly unpopular, girl. I might have to give the manga a try.

I liked the voice acting, especially Tomoko and Tomoki.
Apr 2, 2022 2:38 PM

Aug 2014
This is after watching all 12 episodes and the OVA episode for Watamote:

Watamote was truly an enjoyable experience. It was entertaining for what it was. 

Its a nice silly anime, that many can find it relatable.  You find it so relatable that you find youself rooting for the female MC, whether its to make a friend in her high school, or get a boyfriend, etc.

I really enjoyed the moments between the female MC and her brother; they were entertaining. I liked how their relationship progressed as the anime went. Heck, I SHIP them!!!

I guess I would have liked to see more of the father of the female MC, since he seems to really love the female MC and pretty much just accepts her for who she is, as we saw in the ending of an episode where he made an appearance.

With all said, Im really surprised that as of the date that I am writing this comment, there is no season 2 or more OVA/special episodes for Watamote.
oooo3333Mar 1, 2023 12:53 AM
Aug 15, 2022 10:34 AM
Aug 2022
Watamote is the type of anime where I personally have to pause it at least 5 times per episode from second-hand embarrassment.
Sep 17, 2022 1:15 PM

Nov 2017
The Another reference! 😂 I can't wait for the second season!
Oct 11, 2022 4:48 PM
Aug 2021
The episode was good, just the ending was a little not what I expected.
Dec 11, 2022 1:17 AM
Dec 2022
No W's to be seen anywhere
Feb 10, 2023 12:33 PM
Nov 2022
Definitely had it's moments, and it's slice of life so I wasn't expecting a whole lot as far as plot, the ending just kind of fell flat.
Feb 26, 2023 11:32 AM
Feb 2023
Томоко является для меня очень жизненым и близким персонажем. Наблюдать за её злоключениями оказалось довольно интересно и даже волнующе.
Feb 26, 2023 1:27 PM
Oct 2022
I am frankly amazed how opposite Tomoki is to any mainstream protagonist. Look at The World of Otome Games Is Tough for Mobs. Even though the protagonist is a mob character, he doesn't stay really. But Tomoki is truly your mob character. 🫡
Apr 29, 2023 8:54 PM

Jan 2017
Rewatched this anime after 10 years and had just as much fun, even though I'm unfortunately not a high schooler who could relate to Tomoko anymore.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Jun 21, 2023 9:17 AM
Mar 2023
jaja,la tomoko esta bien pendeja
Jun 24, 2023 10:12 AM
Feb 2021
very relatable, and cant say much more to it, its just relatable and good animation
Aug 23, 2023 7:56 AM

Mar 2020
crazy how underrated this show is on here compared to Bocchi 
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Aug 24, 2023 5:50 PM

Dec 2022
A comforting anime to watch. Being there for a random non-existent girl that has the same struggles as so many of us in all of her moments.
Dec 1, 2023 9:36 PM
Jul 2021
A fitting, but bizarre end to an amazing series.
Jan 14, 5:45 PM
Aug 2023
That was a wild ride and one of the hardest hitting anime I’ve seen. It’s a show that’s made me feel different from any other show I’ve seen prior. It didn’t feel great while watching, but it didn’t feel bad either. It was just a feeling. Overall, it was one of the most weirdly enjoyable, funny, relatable, and heartbreaking shows I’ve seen in anime. One of my new favourites and Tomoko is best girl. 10/10
Feb 22, 6:46 PM
Feb 2022
Enjoyed this one quite a bit. Great art, animation, style, music, voice acting that all just really fits the vibe. A bit too gloomy for my taste but for obviously trying to be that way it does a great job while not taking it too dark. I had some of my most laugh out loud moments during this show. The MC is adorable and you can’t help but feel for her, root for her, and want to help her. The last episode was a bit lackluster but they did well with the OP shift and at least giving her some tiny relief.
8/10
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2013

258 by rafarab13 »»
May 22, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

202 by rafarab13 »»
May 21, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2013

144 by rafarab13 »»
May 21, 2:51 PM

» Need help identifying a song

XeroBeat - Apr 26

1 by CatChud »»
Apr 26, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2013

240 by Thnikkakid »»
Apr 11, 7:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.