Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Jul 24, 2015 3:00 PM

Oct 2012
Noo, Hanekawa just what did they do to your hair? How come you are no longer class president?
Also, wasn't she quite irritated compared to the first season?
And the opening scene was sure really weird.

And as for SHinobu.. I expected her voice to be a little more childish and I'll have to get use to it but I think it's better that way. She seems to be pretty good character so far. I really like how close and intimate relation she has with Araragi and her poses were also brilliant. Their ending interaction about his life-span totally got me. Also, judging from one hair-washing shot, is she invisible now to everyone other than him? (maybe only when there are no shadows)
Aug 9, 2015 5:04 AM

Apr 2010
Shinobu can be either pretty cute or really scary.
Aug 20, 2015 6:20 PM

Sep 2014
Relax in the bath. EP 4.

PLot: Karen is poisoned by a fire bee by Kaiki. It appears he is behind the charms from the Nadeko incident and this as well. Koyomi learns the details from the Fire Sisters, Hanekawa who has been helping them, and Shinobu who has taken the role of Knowledge provider from Kaiki.

Character: *Rant mode: I did not like Hanekawa this time. Encouraging and helping a couple of preteens track down a shady hustler was the stupidest thing a supposedly smart girl could have done. It may be Big Brother Mentality but if you sent my younger siblings off on this kind of hunt, there would be cursing and other things. I don't care what kind of training Karen had, things could've gotten a lot worse and s*^t would be really bad.

Hanekawa you f&*ked up and in doing so got your best and only friend's sister hurt. Reflect on that.

Shinobu: she became a star this time not only for her VA but her characterization. After the big mystery of her in Bake, seeing what she is actually like was fun. She does remind me of Holo from Spice and Wolf so thumbs up. Her words of not forgiving Araragi paints a complexity to their relationship that draws you in and her added role of Monster Encyclopedia means more fun interactions later on.

Koyomi: Dude was waaaay to calm after what happened. I guess his friendship with Hanekawa has more influence than I thought. I liked his part in the bath conversation that while he's happy that Shinobu is back more, he also has a wall that he won't cross with her. The talk of his life-span will hopefully be expanded upon since it is a popular and never ending debate/story element of long lived characters and how it paints their relationships with others.

ANimation/sound: That bath scene was amazing. I seriously want that style of bathroom.

5/5. The return and inclusion of a fun character made this great.

Extra: I heard that most of the symbolism is from Araragi's perspective and that the bath is more ordinary than it looks. If that's the case, then Shinobu's over the top jump was more hilarious in hindsight.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Aug 27, 2015 9:20 PM

Sep 2014
Love the "Kako" of Shinobu. Also the music during the episode was awesome.
Sep 2, 2015 3:31 PM

Nov 2013
What can i say, brocon imouto at her best, go Tsukihi go :3
Karen and Tsukihi are my fav characters already, they're so cool. Loved how Hanekawa calmed him down and pointed out that he calls them "-chan" (just so you know that means he really loves his sisters and feels emotionally attached to them greatly), well you know when imouto calls her onii-chan it means LOVE XD
Poor Karen, but I know onii-chan will save her :P

New Hanekawa is so kawaii, and of course she would win and Gahara knows that, that's why she was really scared. But incest is wincest anyway.

Shinobu part was great, that feel when you got your personal loli, what a pedodream, I can just imagine. Pedos would offer her a freaking giant pile of donuts to keep her mouth shut for sure XDDDD
I liked her haha, her 8 yrs old ass in his face and their conversation about his age. Death do us part, not as Gahara would expect. Hah, I imagine that, when she's over 30 and he's still 18, well they would break up much earlier.
tsundereharasserSep 3, 2015 1:36 AM
Oct 8, 2015 10:59 AM

Jan 2014
How I love Tsubasa!
In this version is hot as well!
Oct 27, 2015 9:43 PM

Jul 2014
and so, she speaks...Shinobu...i like her
kaka
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2016 10:20 AM

Sep 2015
That Shinobu laugh... "Kako"... lol

The amount of fanservice in this is huge :P
Apr 15, 2016 5:32 PM

Nov 2015
This is wrong... this is so wrong... this is NOT ok...
I can not understand the need of this level of perv...
Too much...

Anyway...how is that Shinobu passed from being totally quiet and emo-like in Bake to... this en Nise? I don't understand this personality change.
May 2, 2016 2:37 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Painful! An episode that is closer to the visual spectacle of altering hormones rather than take a good plot.

---
¡Penoso! Un episodio que se acerca más al espectaculo visual de alterar hormonas más que llevar una buena trama.
Jun 21, 2016 2:42 PM
Jul 2015
Well, everyone was absolutely unlikable in this episode. I'm hoping for something to make up for it soon...
Jul 19, 2016 6:53 AM

Oct 2014
shinobu is best girl ftw 10/10 waifu status
Jul 31, 2016 1:43 PM

Apr 2013
Woah Shinobu talked :o
This episode felt a bit slow and boring at times.
Dec 7, 2016 10:25 PM

Sep 2016
ayee shinobu im liking her more interesting character
Facta Non Verba
Feb 9, 2017 3:14 PM

Jun 2013
That was not how i expected Shinobu's personality to be~
Regardless great episode as always
Apr 1, 2017 9:24 PM

Apr 2015
Episode started weak, but turned around when Shinobu showed up.

Tsukihi-chan walking in on her brother in the bath with a loli, walking out without a word, and then coming back with a knife was hilarious.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 3, 2017 2:55 AM

Dec 2014
So Shinobi talked. I hope she doesn't turn out to be a lolita cutesy waifu material.
ClefairiessJun 9, 2017 6:14 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2017 3:16 AM
May 2012
shinobu was cute when she didn't talk.

Aug 10, 2017 8:12 AM

Dec 2015
I'm really glad they came full circle to kizu, this is probably one of the most important episodes so far in the series imo as kiss shot and Araragi finally take the next step in the life they share together.
~
Aug 17, 2017 3:40 AM

Jul 2012
I've only read the LN, so this is the first time I've gotten to hear Shinobu talk, and she was great :)
I'm glad they were able to reconcile with one another after what conspired. It should be fun watching their interactions from here on out. And I wonder when she started her donut obsession haha.

I also love that Tsukihi came back with a huge kitchen knife. She's great 😂

But I wonder how much time Karen has left, and how will they learn to get rid of her disease? This will be their first oddity they'll have to deal with without Oshino's direct help.
Aug 28, 2017 8:46 PM

May 2014
BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL OML HELP

Seriously tho, after that I could prolly just watch a series solely about Shinobu. She stole the entire episode and makes Gahara's interactions with Araragi look boring (even tho they're not).
I loved their interactions, it's almost like watching Yin and Yang personified...and that's without knowing their history. It's all pretty warped. Especially with how sexualized (even by Monogatari standards) their interactions were, but how okay and almost ordinary they felt because of that. Like, I couldn't imagine Araragi bathing naked with Sengoku or Hachikuji and having banter with them without freaking the hell out.

Definitely want more of Shinobu, that's for sure. She's not what I was expecting at all!

Plot moved forward a lot this ep too. So it's actually Kaiki who somehow got the Bee to sting Karen? Interesting.
Sep 13, 2017 5:07 PM

Jan 2015
Whorekawa got no chance stealing araragi, why did Senjo even felt threatened?
Sep 23, 2017 12:33 PM

Jun 2016
hOLY SHIT. HANEKAWA CUT HER HAIR. WHY? I prefer her having a long hair. Heck, she's still cute. Haha.

So, it was Hanekawa Hitagi was talking to. I didn't know they're in good terms. Haha jk.

Yay! We get to see more of Araragi's little sisters. They're sooo cute. Poor Karen got "poisoned" by that Kouki guy. Goddamnit. And she's not the type of girl who's showing her weakness (according to Araragi), and she's been in pain.

So many holy shit moments this episode. SHINOBU TALKS! WAAAAAH. I'm so sorry, but the whole shower scene of Araragi and Shinobu gave me lady boner especially them in the bath tub together then Shinobu is playing with Araragi using her feet then she fucking touched his body then Araragi touched/stroked her hair. Lmfaaoooo stooop, me! Lmfaooo.

Hahahahahaha! Ohmygod Tsukihi was about to stab Shinobu when she saw her together with her brother in the bath tub. My stomach. Waht athe fufck that aahedghsgsdgnsdhj. That had me laughing my ass off ohmygod. afhbasdgibaiuguihbsgibd!

Such a good fucking episode. Ohmygod.

P.S. Fucking Shaft unceasingly amaze me with that animation quality. Foahnsguhsdiguhsndijgnasu!

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Nov 26, 2017 2:41 AM

Sep 2016
Tsukihi aww man shes a savage she came back with that knife lmaoo i need me a chick like that scene was wild haha
Facta Non Verba
Dec 31, 2017 8:29 AM

Dec 2016
I don't know which is stranger, Hanekawa's new hair, Shinobu actually talking, or the design/contents of Araragi's house. This is a pretty tough one so I may have to report back later lmaooo

Also imma need to see someone fight Kaiki pretty soon or my head is going to explode
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 10, 2018 10:07 PM
Mar 2017
Glad I got to see more of Shinobu in this episode.
At least more of her body. lol
Seriously, I would have taken the doughnut offer she made to Araragi.
Aug 30, 2018 2:45 AM

May 2018
Then Shinobu finally spoke... I loved this episode lolicon, and this body of Koyomi... *-*

5/5 9,5/10
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Feb 14, 2019 3:47 AM

Jun 2017
Damn you NISIO!! Why you gotta ruin Hanekawa's perfect look, Long haired girls are in almost every way better than Short haired girls, especially as short as a tomboyish loo, stupid ass. The only redeeming grace for this series is Shinobu.
EmperorAlfredFeb 14, 2019 5:36 AM
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Mar 31, 2019 3:44 PM
Aug 2018
What happened to Hanekawas hairstyle? Where are the braids and the distinctive cat hairclips (or w/e that were)? :-(
And I am glad her bust is back to normal, after watching Kizu...
Apr 27, 2019 3:23 PM
Apr 2016
Damn, Shinobu finally started talking again. Haha his sister walking in on them was great.
May 2, 2019 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
Hanekawa with short hair is so hot

Shinobu talked! Also, her laugh sounds like it came from One Piece Ka Ka

Idk why, but Tsukihi coming in the bathroom with a knife as a weapon and the top of a pot as a shield made me chuckle
May 14, 2019 3:39 AM

Dec 2018
Seems Shinobu become the replacement to Meme for spirit and curse consultation. And she even called Meme a kid.lol.

And they take a bath in the same bathub. Oh my.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Jun 8, 2019 9:11 PM

Sep 2017
What the FUCK did they do to my girl Hanekawa. They butchered her. She's dead. How could you do this to me, Nisio Isin. I'm still not completely sure what's going on as this episode didn't really fully explain the whole curse situation (although you can certainly put a few of the pieces together). Shinobu finally talked, and she has just as much sass as she did as Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade. She and Araragi had an interesting dynamic that I am interested to see develop. Tsukihi grabbing a knife to kill Shinobu was really funny. I give this episode a naked loli out of ten.
Jul 25, 2019 6:55 PM

Nov 2017
Ka-ka! Shinobu makes her grand entrance in this episode!

&++ Hanekawa with short hair. ナイス
Jul 30, 2019 4:37 AM
May 2019
Hanekawa looks perfect with short hair 👌👌👌 hands down
Aug 31, 2019 3:17 PM

Jun 2015
Now after finishing the whole series, this bath scene really speaks a LOT about Araragi and Shinobu's relationship.

Started the series for Gahara,
Stayed till the end for Shinobu.
Dec 6, 2019 5:46 PM

Feb 2017
They made Tsubasa look more like Hitagi. Gee, I wonder why.
Dec 12, 2019 3:01 PM

Apr 2015
Good episode, but the plot of this show even compared to Bakemonogatari is way too slow. Shinobu talking was cool, but could have been a lot more concise.

Ultimately the best parts were when Araragi realized how much his sister was suffering, when his other sister walked in on him with Shinobu, and when Shinobu talked about the possibility of Araragi outliving his family and friends (that entire moment of Shinobu trying to get Araragi to kill her is really elevated with the knowledge of Kizumonogatari, even if that also consequentially means we don't really learn much new in that scene).
observing a woman's body
Feb 10, 2020 5:53 PM

May 2014
Tsubasa has shorten her hair.
She looks different (and less like a nerd) and very cute actually. It fits her good. She looks less chubby like, though she weren't that chubby from the beginning. Also her boob size has decreased from Kuro.
Didn't get the idea. Why the size of her pairs decreased over time. LOL Nevertheless, the new hair suits here better than the old one and it looks like she went over to lenses. Cool!

The fire sisters going on his nerves is very hilarious to watch. Little siblings can be hard to deal with. I bet anyone with siblings had have its share. Nice to see that the plot develops further. About time we got to know more about the demon that is hunting Karen. A bee that gives you an incurable fever to death, neat!

This was told by none other than Shinobu. Her introduction was awesome!
It had also some other memorable moments, like:
After being thrilled with so much, this scene took everything in the cuteness department. Nevertheless, funny moment when Tsukihi actually found out that Araragi was a lolita. And guess what, she is a kuudere. None other than her shall have her precious older brother

Anyways, great ep. I love how they tell the story through different angles. It makes it more interesting than what it actually is. They have done it since the beginning and it looks like this is Monogatari-thing. I haven't seen in any anime before. So yeah, love the way they play with angles.
May 15, 2020 4:20 AM
May 2020
It was very touching to see Shinobu and Koyomi talk after watching the three Kizumonogatari movies
Jun 8, 2020 9:19 PM

Aug 2017
Damn, I dont like Hanekawa with short hair :(

This episode is very important if u watched Kizu before Nise and I think that the dialogue makes more sense if ppl did the same thing. For obvious reasons, that means that im not surprised that Shinobu is talking in this episode since it was very weird that she seemed mute in Bake and she talked a lot as Kiss-shot Acerola-orion Heart-under-blade in Kizu.

Sadly, the show again is unnecessarily slow. 4 episodes and there's hardly an relevant dialogue of Karen with Araragi, ofc except at the beggining of the episode. The titular of this arc is only doing cameos and barely has screentime. What a disappointment!

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 15, 2020 1:57 PM
Mar 2018
seems like everyone doesnt like hanekawa new look but i couldnt care less since she is def worst girl by far.

shinobu finally appears and that was epic. glad i saw kizu before watching nise or else none of their dialogue would have made sense.
Aug 19, 2020 11:51 AM

Apr 2019
Ooo Hanekawa with short hair, did I miss something or did that just happen without any context? Hanekawa helping out Karen and Tsukihi seems fitting since she already helps out Koyomi.

Aye we got to hear Shinobu speak, she's kinda cool tbh, mysterious as hell but kinda cool. I'm guessing most of her backstory and such are explained in the Kizu movies, so until I watch those, I'll just remain in the dark whenever she brings up something from the past lol.

I wonder how they'll save Karen from the effects of the Flame-Wreath Bee?

Also Tsukihi coming back with the knife after she saw Shinobu was pretty funny, hope to see more moments like that.
Sep 10, 2020 8:42 PM

Jun 2020
Omg Shinobu talked while naked so erotic°°

It was funny when Tsukihi came in and come back with a knife and a shield lmao^^

It was very enjoyable too many ecchi in this episode looking forward to watching the next episode later=)
Feb 7, 2021 7:35 AM

Oct 2016
Damn, Hanekawa's hair is just suddenly short, why'd she cut it though and she isn't wearing her glasses anymore, she still cute though.

Let's go Shinobu! Didn't expect her to just suddenly talk, I thought she forgot about being Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade. But she remembers very well, I really love that line, "I won't forgive you and you won't forgive me". Shinobu's and Araragi's relationship is awesome. Pretty cool too that Oshino drilled into Shinobu's head shit about monsters and ghosts because he probably knew it would be helpful to Araragi, what a nice guy.
Mar 7, 2021 2:23 AM

Jul 2019
I'm so glad I watched Kizu before this. This season has started to hook me in now.
Apr 4, 2021 6:40 AM
Dec 2020
Completely pathetic nd disgusting ep. The only thing good was when Tsukihi suddenly opens the door nd finds Koyomi nd Shinobu together. ppl here r appreciating this ep only to look cool.
This season of Monogatari is a piece of dogshit. I'm only tolerating it because I want to watch Kizu, S2 nd Owari.
May 12, 2021 12:11 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
So weird, it feels like these episodes go on for so long but at the same time before you know it’s over. That’s just me though. Maybe that effect comes from just having literally only two or three different locations per episode and having them each filled with a long conversation. Normally I’d be turned off by all this dialogue which is close to becoming a drag, but since the characters and all the back-and-forth are so fun and interesting, it makes it worth it.

I also just love the architectural design of everything and how it’s so extra, especially their bathroom hot damn. What man designed this work of art?

Another thing I noticed that sets this anime apart from others other than it’s obvious unique overall style is that there are NO PANNING SHOTS. Can’t believe I haven’t caught onto it by now but there is no lazy panning shots to mimic camera movement that can be annoying sometimes especially in ecchi. But here any camera movement is entirely simulated by actual animation, making it way more dramatic. On top of that, any motion in general is not half assed, and of course there’s still a lot of stills but when it is like that, it’s like a painting, or motion just isn’t required. I’m rambling on but what I’m trying to say that all this is just crafted, so well.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 21, 2021 10:15 AM

Feb 2019
I don't remember Hanegawa cutting her hair last season, but she looks cuter this way I think ^^
Aug 1, 2021 10:13 AM
Mar 2021
Hanekawa's new haircut looks cute! Since she's no longer wearing those cat ribbons it shows that her stress is gone.
Tons of loli service this ep and Shinobu's "kaka" made me lol
FacktackAug 2, 2021 11:15 PM
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 25, 2012

758 by Dragona_8002 »»
Yesterday, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ariamachi - Jan 14, 2012

349 by Dragona_8002 »»
May 23, 12:37 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2012

256 by tsumetai1163 »»
May 17, 3:29 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Feb 4, 2012

221 by eblf2013 »»
May 10, 7:10 PM

Poll: » Nisemonogatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 18, 2012

324 by Matheus050 »»
Apr 28, 9:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.