Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 2019 4:54 PM

Oct 2017
simo000 said:
Lots of hamfisted exposition, shallow characters (even going as far as to label each one the 'athletic one', 'smart one', etc) and your classic OTT grimdark 'twist' coupled with hilariously warped facial expressions to hammer home just how horrifying it all is.

What this show seems to do surprisingly well is create tension. Lots of creative visual tricks and good use of sound to build dread.

Still, anime fans these days are so easily impressed.

Yeah sure, shallow characters. (laugh)

Sad that people think they should know the whole characteristic of characters in one single episode. The entitlement is strong here.
Jan 11, 2019 5:19 PM

Oct 2008
Ventus_S said:
simo000 said:
Lots of hamfisted exposition, shallow characters (even going as far as to label each one the 'athletic one', 'smart one', etc) and your classic OTT grimdark 'twist' coupled with hilariously warped facial expressions to hammer home just how horrifying it all is.

What this show seems to do surprisingly well is create tension. Lots of creative visual tricks and good use of sound to build dread.

Sad that people think they should know the whole characteristic of characters in one single episode. The entitlement is strong here.

i have no idea what entitlement has to do with anything.

But yes, it doesn't bode well that in this first episode we have our three protagonists verbally labelled with their primary characteristic instead of.... I dunno... showing us that? Through action, conflict, drama, etc. I'm sure they'll develop as the show goes on but it still bothers me how the show seemed to go out of its way in this first episode to dumb the main characters down as much as it could.
Jan 11, 2019 6:09 PM

Dec 2013
The classic dark twist on a seemingly happy story.

I’m glad that the demons weren’t CG.

I can’t wait for the rest of this arc to be adapted.
Jan 11, 2019 6:38 PM

Aug 2007
I liked it well enough but I wish they hadn't telegraphed it quite as hard. It felt like I was watching a not-quite there Shinsekai Yori.

I wasn't expecting monsters and I thought it'd be about human experimentation but it was so obvious that this orphanage was up to good that the grand reveal was very expected. "Have you noticed we can never leave this place and everyone who leaves never writes us?" "I'm sure they are just too happy to even remember us!"

Yeah...that's so not suspicious.

Still, it was a fun ride and I am looking forward to see where this goes (and how many people die).
Jan 11, 2019 6:49 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't read the manga but I really enjoyed it. That last scene with Mommy was better than most horror movies in the past decade.
Jan 11, 2019 7:00 PM

Dec 2014
Umm I didn't expect the girl to die this fast until I saw the truck for the first time.
I need sleep.
Jan 11, 2019 7:11 PM
Apr 2017
Is this me or the story is PRETTY MUCH Like "Little Nightmares"🤔🤔
Jan 11, 2019 8:24 PM
Jan 2019
Disliked it.
Too much time spent in ep.1 on happyfuntimes to actually be horror, and nothing except happyfuntimes and cheap jumpscare horror really going on at all.

The horror is even undercut by the fact that the villains are idiots (who the hell just expects a single metal bar to be an effective barrier to stop kids? Not to mention just leave corpses lying around in the open in random trucks). I mean, i'm apparently expected to be excited to see kids established to be genius outsmart the big scary monster adults. Who are then established to be dumb...

I guess the show is gettting 8+ on the force of source material, but the show itself felt boring to me so far.
Jan 11, 2019 9:39 PM
Jun 2010
My god that was dull. An entire episode of almost nothing to set up a twist that's already heavily hinted at in the synopsis. Should have been condensed into five minutes. I'll guess give this another episode since the premise is interesting, but I'll probably drop this show if it's not much better.
Jan 11, 2019 9:43 PM

Jan 2018
It would have been a lot better if they started the way manga did. Manga started with a sunny day, Emma narrating everything. A peaceful start but it still had that ominous vibe. But the anime just gave away the element of surprise and they should have played the op at the end. Rather than just starting with a scene from page 24 they should have done that.

BUT still that last horror part was done so well that I felt that shock again. Hope the animation quality won't drop in the latter episodes.
ARK-13Jan 11, 2019 9:46 PM
Jan 11, 2019 11:00 PM

Oct 2014
I could see this coming just by reading the summary and of course there were the id numbers and the ambiguous talk about kids never writing when they left. Still, I wasn't completely prepared for the reveal of Conny.
This start feels kind of like what I wish seraph of the end (owari no seraph) did. The protagonist and his friend try to flee with a group of kids from the vampire captors but they're all killed and his friend goes missing. So yuwhatever is supposed to be driven by the loss of his friends but I don't know anything about them and he doesn't have anything going for him, nor the setting, I wasn't a fan of that series.
But here there's a bit of set up for these kids and it's going to focus more on them trying to escape. Leaves a lot of questions to keep me interested; what are these creatures, where is this place, how normal is the rest of the world, etc. Honestly my only concern is that the show clearly won't be able to come to a conclusion, and I question whether we'll get even a satisfactory conclusion to the arc.
Deadman wonderland starts with a similarly violent/horrifying premise and the anime covers 1/3 or a bit less than half the manga, it does fine for what it can cover but it just couldn't come up with a proper ending. That's my main concern for this series.
Jan 11, 2019 11:00 PM

Oct 2017
malMaxi said:
Disliked it.
Too much time spent in ep.1 on happyfuntimes to actually be horror, and nothing except happyfuntimes and cheap jumpscare horror really going on at all.

The horror is even undercut by the fact that the villains are idiots (who the hell just expects a single metal bar to be an effective barrier to stop kids? Not to mention just leave corpses lying around in the open in random trucks). I mean, i'm apparently expected to be excited to see kids established to be genius outsmart the big scary monster adults. Who are then established to be dumb...

I guess the show is gettting 8+ on the force of source material, but the show itself felt boring to me so far.

Umm, this series is not about horror anyway, so ofc the emphasis would not be on that.

And believe it or not, most of the kids have lots of screen-time later on, so it's very important to introduce all of them steadily by spending more screen time on the peaceful time.

Also that ending point is perfect, if they rush the early exposition, the contrast wouldn't be there, the character dynamic wouldn't be there, also it defeats the horror element completely by pushing the plot since the story is going to shift in direction starting ep2.
Oh, and trust me, villains aren't idiot at all, unlike most shonen jump villains.

Btw, if you're here looking for horror/ gore/ shock factor like Attack on Titan, you come to the wrong place. Also the early plot twist is not meant to be hidden, the author knows very well people see it coming. The focus of the series is on how characters use their wit in the end.
Ventus_SJan 11, 2019 11:04 PM
Jan 11, 2019 11:06 PM

Oct 2017
plutodiplomat said:
I could see this coming just by reading the summary and of course there were the id numbers and the ambiguous talk about kids never writing when they left. Still, I wasn't completely prepared for the reveal of Conny.
This start feels kind of like what I wish seraph of the end (owari no seraph) did. The protagonist and his friend try to flee with a group of kids from the vampire captors but they're all killed and his friend goes missing. So yuwhatever is supposed to be driven by the loss of his friends but I don't know anything about them and he doesn't have anything going for him, nor the setting, I wasn't a fan of that series.
But here there's a bit of set up for these kids and it's going to focus more on them trying to escape. Leaves a lot of questions to keep me interested; what are these creatures, where is this place, how normal is the rest of the world, etc. Honestly my only concern is that the show clearly won't be able to come to a conclusion, and I question whether we'll get even a satisfactory conclusion to the arc.
Deadman wonderland starts with a similarly violent/horrifying premise and the anime covers 1/3 or a bit less than half the manga, it does fine for what it can cover but it just couldn't come up with a proper ending. That's my main concern for this series.

Yeah, Seraph in the end writing is pretty bad.

I really do like some of the characters , some of the setting, and the art-style (at least in manga), but really, most of the plot progression are uber cliche and make no freaking sense. It ends at a pretty garbage part too with original content paddered up.

Anyway, don't worry, season 1 has and very suitable place to end since that's the end of first arc, and it'd leave you completely satisfied if the studio didn't fucked it up. This series is kinda slow burn early on, but later chapters are super exciting. Took me 10 chapters to really get into it back when I read the source.
Ventus_SJan 11, 2019 11:09 PM
Jan 12, 2019 12:56 AM

Jan 2019
Wow. First episode and I'm hooked.
Can mew imyagine an imyaginyary mewnyagerie mewnyager imyagining mewnyaging an imyaginyary mewnyagerie?
Jan 12, 2019 1:01 AM

Oct 2015
Damn watching it in animation is something else. I can't wait to see the first arc fully adapted.
Jan 12, 2019 1:29 AM
Nov 2016
Ok not gonna lie, I haven't read the manga but this was a good episode, it started pretty good so I hope it stays like that through the whole anime. They handled the tension pretty good as well.

And yeah, poor Conny, she didn't deserve that, they even made her innocence more charming the way she was dressed while saying goodbye, with her hat and all. I think Connie death should have happened in the 2nd episode, they needed to focus the first episode in Conny by making the viewer bond with her, this way her death in episode 2 would have been even more impact-full but yeah, if this will only have 12 episode then I can understand why they made her die in the 1st episode, with only 12 episodes this needs to have a faster pace.

Still, it was a nice start, can't wait for the 2nd episode.
Jan 12, 2019 1:29 AM
Dec 2018
I love it, it was amazing. The characters are great and very well think. I hope that this anime will be great.
Jan 12, 2019 1:43 AM
Dec 2018
gadboyz said:
DaisukiAishiteru said:

the ending with Mom scared me

IKR, i hope the impact of shock moment in the next episodes can be same or more.

I didn't read the manga, and with this scene scared me a lot. The animation for lograte scare is great. I hope that continue of that mode.
Jan 12, 2019 2:51 AM

Aug 2017
i knew it was going to be a horror, but the twist still freaked me out ><

despite some obvious verbal exposition near the start and a few rough bits of animation, i thought it was a pretty good first episode. pretty excited for the next episode, this has the potential to be good

Jan 12, 2019 3:09 AM

Oct 2017
Mullerio said:
Note: i didnt read the manga but maybe i gonna start now :)

I only knew 3 thing before watching this
1. THe manga is good (so i heard)
2.Child protagonist
3. its a Horror mystery with some kind of "monsters" or "demons"

I am not the biggest Fan of Child Protagonist because most of the time they act way overaged or way to dumb,as for this series the Main Characters are 11 where this problem is most present,but for the first episode it was kinda well done all act like kids (dk about ray because when he is still so calm when he knows the secrets about this orphanage it could be a bit problematic),the thrill was good and cant say anything on the Mýstery part yet because we know NOTHING about the demons

Overall it met my expactations and i hope it will stay that way,when not i gonna start reading the manga when i didnt already...

Hehe, please do pay attention to EVERY children's behaviors, especially the 3 mcs.

Those are all foreshadowing of future events. Everything will make sense in the end.
Those attrition to detail in how the 3 mcs act is what makes the first arc of this series so good. Really hope the studio don't skip any detail cuz all of them are important.
Jan 12, 2019 4:38 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Now thats a pretty big gate there. Quite the number of kids that they have living here. Though its nice that everyone seems to be getting along nicely. It was cute seeing all of the kids express the things that they want to do when they leave the orphanage. Conny though is such an endearing girl. To think that the reason for the kids not writing back is because they get killed on their leave day. That along with the fact that the kids were just meat for the rich sure was a shocking revelation. Interesting first ep. While the first half did well to introduce the setting and the cast the second half sure got dark pretty quick.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2019 5:27 AM
Jan 2016
Wow awesome first episode!

Character introduction were really well made, we could see completely Norman, Emma and Ray personalities.

It escalated fast for suspense and horror, poor Connie, i did expect something dark to happen, for sure, but didn't expect demons to appear.

Last moment with Mother's expression created a clifhanger, i wonder what will happen enxt episode!

OST were awesome in my opinions and animation and art aswell!
Jan 12, 2019 6:07 AM

Sep 2015
WHAT AN AWESOME OPENING SONG. UVERWORLD NEVER DISSAPOINT.
Was so excited for this as a manga reader, and i am not dissappointed at all. Can't wait to see more. The art is very nice, and the animation is not bad. The ending gave me Tokyo Ghoul RE PTSD , though.
Jan 12, 2019 6:35 AM

Sep 2015
Ventus_S said:
simo000 said:

I lost it at the shallow characters part XD. And I like how you keep replying to every negative comment
Jan 12, 2019 6:45 AM

Jan 2019
I enjoyed the episode. I started reading the manga after watching it, I'm that impatient. It was obvious that Conny's death was coming, but her lifeless face terrified me.

Also the ending with Isabella and the bunny. It had this beautiful music going on and then it had to scare me. XD

Also, Ray has Killua's VA and I love it already. (I think Norman has Alluka's VA as well lol)

I'm kind of concerned about how the pacing will be, but we'll see.
Jan 12, 2019 6:55 AM

Feb 2017
AhmedJafar1 said:
Ventus_S said:

I lost it at the shallow characters part XD. And I like how you keep replying to every negative comment

the plot convenient is so obnoxious .

I mean could u give me a legit reason why does the so called [ restricted area ] is so frkn easily to access by the children like that ?

that being said ,
if it has a deep reason behind it , pls don't spoil me lol
Jan 12, 2019 7:11 AM

Sep 2015
nina444 said:
AhmedJafar1 said:

the plot convenient is so obnoxious .

I mean could u give me a legit reason why does the so called [ restricted area ] is so frkn easily to access by the children like that ?

that being said ,
if it has a deep reason behind it , pls don't spoil me lol

Every single detail well be explained , do not worry, just keep watching, a lot of mind games will start from next episode
Jan 12, 2019 7:26 AM
Jan 2019
Currently reading the manga, i think they did a good job on the adaptation. Poor Conny!!
Jan 12, 2019 11:16 AM

Dec 2016
Shiningu said:
Sephyros said:
Voice acting is terrible, the annoying voice fits emma but ray one is disgusting that's terrible

I would like to think that you are saying that the voice doesn't match the character, and not that Miss Mariya Ise's voice is "disgusting"

Hm yeah right saying that would've been better
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Jan 12, 2019 11:25 AM
Mar 2018
Well I was expecting something nasty and drastic to happen towards the end of the episode; considering the theme it was going through. Conny's death or Emma's cry didn't give the chill; which was given by the superb background music. I knew that Mom character was a bit suspicious right in the OP song. With number tags on them I was sure they all were part of some shady experiments. This series is really going to be fun.
Jan 12, 2019 11:51 AM
Aug 2018
Animation is pertty op is dope and last scene is disturbing
Jan 12, 2019 12:44 PM

Mar 2018
I don't know the manga but I had a feeling that something was wrong. I actually thought it would be a spin of " The Island" or "Never Leave Me Alone" and that they are clones and their organs harvested but this was also an interesting twist. Anyway, I am hooked. I wonder though, why Mom is actually participating in this.
Jan 12, 2019 12:45 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Hatsuyuki said:
The episode was handled well. I'm glad this series receives the attention it deserves when it comes to this anime adaptation. The opening however doesn't really fit the show imo.

Have to agree, nice visuals for the OP, but doesnt fit, wanted something darker and more suffocating.

Pyoung said:
I have been reading this manga since the day it came out and loved it after the first chapter. I was so filled with emotion during this whole episode. A lot of crying.. I loved it wow. I think they did a great job at making it better than the manga and the sound track is amazing. This is definitely my favorite anime of the season so far but as you can tell I'm biased.

I started this manga last day of the last year, and was not surprised, considering the hype, it is still a great read but solely that.
WHOEVER, the adaptation for ep1 alone is the most scared and tense I have been so far with the series, and did alot more for me than the manga ever did!

Incredible what you can do with an immersive score, really great sound effects and just great execution overall, that ending scene with mother got me, this seems to be shappening to be an adaptation that surpasses the original for sure.

Cloverworks is doing it seems, they already done an amazing job with Bunny Senpai last season, they are really killing!
Jan 12, 2019 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
Outstanding animation and great development
Jan 12, 2019 1:31 PM

May 2014
Awesome adaptation of the first chapter! Loved the first arc of the manga so I'm excited to be able to recommend it to my non-manga reading friends. The art is pretty good other than the few instances of low FPS 3D animation - actually the quick cut to
, plus the music made it have much more of an effect. Hope they are able to adapt the entire first arc of the manga at least.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Jan 12, 2019 1:33 PM

May 2014
JudoJD said:
Pretty disappointing tbh
All that hype yet you can tell what's going to happen from a mile away

For the people who've read The promised neverland....do the plot twists get any better onwards
I didn't not read the manga for one of the most predictable first episode turn of events I've seen in a while..."don't even read the synopsis. IT WILL SHOCK YOU REEE" sigh 😅

Yeah the first episode wasn't so much supposed to be a twist - anyone who's read/watched anything in a dystopian setting knew exactly what was going on. Hence why the "reveal" was done in the first episode itself. Once the main arc really gets underway, it definitely gets to the point where it isn't nearly as predictable or typical for shows of this genre. But it'll take some eps to get there.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Jan 12, 2019 2:05 PM

Dec 2017
Wow, this looks really promising. Unless most of the others here I haven't read the manga and I'm not even sure what this show will be about in the end but I loved the first episode. I hope they don't screw up, don't rush it, etc.
I'm just thinking about whether to read the manga or not. The story looked so good that I guess it'll be worth it but it's hard to say more yet.
Jan 12, 2019 2:25 PM

Jul 2017
I've never read the manga, nor did I look at the genre before I watched that so that episode was a shock, lol.
Not at all what I thought it was about.
Totally loved it though, can't wait for episode two~
Jan 12, 2019 2:55 PM

Oct 2017
I think nowadays most people are too impressionable. All I could think since the beginning of the episode was: "When the dark twist is going to happen?". Ok, a cute five years old girl is dead and you want me to look close at her face just in case I don't get it.

Other than that, the main trio doesn't make it easier. I hated the emo kid at the moment i saw his design, and I'm sick of "inteligent" white haired boys. Only Emma is kinda likeable, but not enough.

Maybe the show is not bad, simply I don't get the hype.
Jan 12, 2019 4:34 PM

Jan 2017
Holy f*ck. The pilot didn't let me down. I heard so much about it's source... God damn!
I like it when series set down the tone of how serious it is a the start... But with connie's death almost reduced me to tears. She was too innocent.
Cant wait for the for the next one.
Jan 12, 2019 4:53 PM

Aug 2015
pretty good first episode, hyped for this season!

Jan 12, 2019 5:53 PM
Jul 2018
Now that I've listened to it on repeat for about 30 minutes, I have to say that OP song is a banger and a half.
Jan 12, 2019 7:31 PM

Oct 2013
Dunno how do you feel, mates, but I think this anime might be the best one of this season.

Astonishing voice acting, beautiful art and animation, interesting plot covered in mysteries, while everything started so airily. Can't wait to see next episode of this show!
Jan 12, 2019 9:46 PM

Sep 2008
The way they build characters in this episode feels so formulaic. They outright tell us the strengths and weaknesses of the characters (smart or athletic etc). Then there's the segment with each of them saying what their dream for the future is. Not good.

I still enjoyed it, though. Will be interesting to see where it goes. It's starting off a bit like Shinsekai Yori.
Jan 12, 2019 10:10 PM

Apr 2014
5layer said:
The way they build characters in this episode feels so formulaic. They outright tell us the strengths and weaknesses of the characters (smart or athletic etc). Then there's the segment with each of them saying what their dream for the future is. Not good.

I still enjoyed it, though. Will be interesting to see where it goes. It's starting off a bit like Shinsekai Yori.
lmfao there is a reason for that but w.e
Jan 12, 2019 10:42 PM
Jan 12, 2019 11:51 PM
Oct 2017
Personally I was not impressed. The plot was laid on thick from the beginning and it was obvious where it was going. Maybe if I was still 15 I'd love this but the older I get the less I like overtly edgy things like this. I'll give it a few more episodes on whether I decided to drop it or not but I'm not feeling it at all at the moment.

The opening song was great though.
Jan 13, 2019 1:11 AM

May 2016
I like how they mixed in the really eerie and ominous atmosphere in some scenes throughout the whole episode like the part with the low fence before the big reveal. Even if they're super happy, something just doesn't feel right about the whole situation. You can tell that something's gonna go wrong real bad but you can't exactly tell what it is until you actually see it. I love how they animated and colored the demons and the grotesque sounds they make while moving their body or even just their eyes really made me feel like I was with Emma and Norman cowering under the truck. Rest in Peace, Connie and the others.

The anime remained loyal to the manga's artstyle and it's so smooth, especially the backgrounds. The small faces in some scenes distracted me at times but it didn't detract my enjoyment towards the episode at all. I didn't expect the opening to sound like this but coupled with the visuals, it's actually pretty good. They could've added a little bit more details like Norman lockpicking the House's door because Mom locked it from the outside but it's still really good.
Kajo_Senpai69Jan 13, 2019 1:16 AM

Jan 13, 2019 1:15 AM

Jan 2017
a vegan: "see??! You see the abalogy of humans treated as animasl?? Now you feel guilty for eat a beef?!"
me: "wow! Great! it´s Chicken Run in anime version!"
Jan 13, 2019 7:06 AM

Oct 2014
oh man, the music towards the end was realllly nice
Pages (12) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2019

306 by MrList »»
Jun 13, 5:12 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2019

318 by MrList »»
Jun 11, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

247 by LordPotatoII »»
Jun 8, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

568 by sbrxx_99 »»
Jun 6, 8:38 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2019

219 by masons_anime78 »»
May 23, 9:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.