Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jun 9, 2013 8:50 PM
Jun 24, 2013 2:32 PM
Aug 2012
This is actually one of the only anime where i prefer the anime ending to the manga ending. Its wierd
Jul 14, 2013 3:14 AM

Feb 2013
Great series. Enjoyed it all the way.

Funky_Junk9 said:
i found a link of the possibility of a season 2 seems plausible
http://www.tv.com/animation/there-technically-is-going-to-be-a-season-2-of-elfen-lied/topic/106-1058673/msgs.html

If you look closely that post was in 2008.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Jul 15, 2013 1:54 PM

Dec 2012
So humans will still eventually be replaced by Diclonius
Jul 30, 2013 4:57 AM
May 2013
Great anime, first I hesitated watching it because of violence, but eventually I decided to watch it and it was awesome.

OMFGeoff said:
So humans will still eventually be replaced by Diclonius

I guess so since the anime focused more on romance/psychological and nobody is trying to stop them.
Aug 7, 2013 10:47 AM

Jul 2013
She murdered his family pretty much and he's all "I love you, let's cuddle"...
I would've liked to have seen some more gore and killing sprees for the finale but it was still pretty decent.
Aug 16, 2013 12:33 PM
Jul 2013
Different Anime from what I usually watch, but I have to say the ending is certainly not what I expected. I actually wanted Nyuu to live. ;_;

Overall 7/10. :)
Aug 17, 2013 3:59 PM
Jul 2013
Jym said:
The real, final, happy ending to Elfen Lied!

A lot of confusion about the conclusion of Elfen Lied has been expressed in this forum. I will clear up the confusion. Please note that the Anime is different from the manga! The anime is meant to stand alone and conclude without a second season. The basic point of this story is about the importance of Family, compassion, love and forgiveness.

Yuka and Kouta are the Mother and Father of the group and Mayu, Nana, and Lucy/Nyu are the children. The children have never been in a loving family group before.

Lucy didn’t die! That was her silhouetted at the entrance returning to her new family. She was saved by Kouta’s forgiveness and love. She had returned after destroying all the people who wanted to hunt her and Nana down and kill them. This was the only thing she could do to save her new family who would never be safe otherwise.

What about Kouta and Lucy? Don’t they love each other? Yes, but as a Father loves his Daughter! There would always be the underlying issue of Lucy killing Kouta’s father and sister to make sexual love possible. Lucy knows this and is happy to be forgiven, accepted and loved as a family member.

Here are a few more observations and speculations.

Kouta and Yuka will get married. 1st cousins get married all the time. It is legal in the USA, Japan and most other countries, IT IS NOT INCEST.

The clock suddenly working symbolizes Lucy has fixed herself by merging the Nyu part of herself and is no longer a murdering mutant.

Lucys horns. They were what prevented her from blending into society and being accepted. When they were shot off it would allow her to appear normal.

There you have it, Happy Ending!!!! Feel free to comment yea or nay.

I agree with most of what you speculated. I was thinking the same thing, except for the part where Kouta and Yuta ends up getting married.

I think what Kouta with Lucy had was more than just a strong friendship/father-daughter relationship. If I remember correctly, Kouta did mention to Lucy that he liked her.

Even though Yuka's character had a motherly, house wife kind of role, there just isn't enough evidence to convince me that she's the one Kouta marries

But then I could be being biased since I'm a bigger fan of Lucy than Yuka.
Aug 19, 2013 4:26 AM

May 2012
Time for a feels trip again
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Aug 19, 2013 4:27 AM

Aug 2013
I think the dark person @ the door was Nya/Lucy. Well I didn't like it at all, lol.

Aug 19, 2013 4:29 AM

May 2012
50Z said:
I think the dark person @ the door was Nya/Lucy. Well I didn't like it at all, lol.

Everyone have their own taste lol
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Nov 3, 2013 6:18 AM

Sep 2013
What an utterly depressing anime. Shows that features orphans with themes like child abuse, child neglect and alienation really gets to me. Put that together with the heart-wrenching theme song, it killed me. The characters in the Elfen Lied have some of the saddest story I've seen so far.

Thank god the anime provided the fans some form of comfort. Manga ending crushed me.
Jan 2, 2014 4:28 PM

Apr 2013
This anime had a perfect ending! No need for a second season! :)
Jan 8, 2014 5:13 AM

Dec 2012
The scene with Kurama and Mariko reuniting was powerful, especially when the possibility of them being a happy family flashed before their eyes during the explosion. Laughed so hard when the scientist guy got his head slapped off, "you're the only one left, a promotion is mi-" nope!

Overall this series was interesting, it was certainly full of shock value and tragedy, but I never really found myself emotionally invested into Kohta or the story as a whole. I liked that despite all of the vicious killing and slaughter these girls performed, I couldn't bring myself to dislike them knowing they weren't at fault. The ending was satisfying enough, I like that they didn't show Lucy at the end and left it to imagination.

Will probably give this a 7/10, may bump it to an 8 later if I feel a stronger connection to it.
Jan 12, 2014 2:08 AM
Jul 2013
This is one anime ending that has left me with such a mental churning, a feeling I haven't received in a while from anime. Sure, there is a lot of titles out there that leave you with a cliffhanger; but this one perturbed me especially because I knew what had just happened, yet it all seemed confusing to me. Sure, the old guy will probably do some more wicked shit (although I don't see how since most of his men have died already), and it is highly likely that it's Lucy's silhouette that's cast on the door. I understood this. Yet... Something still wrenches me. I suppose I'm bitter at the love Lucy and Kohta can never have--or could never have, depending on how you see it. Theirs was a complicated and complex love. I understood that they could never be together because of what Lucy did to Kohta--obviously. However, Kohta saw past this--SOMEHOW-- and still loved her--and KISSED her! As the clock swings into life again after who knows how long, it says to me that it could happen still. It's moral and irrefutable to say that it will never happen, I know; yet, with this in mind, I just hoped that they did.

Of course, this is just a minuscule rant because of a ship that isn't anime-canon. I appreciated everything else, but I'm not precisely sure what to rate it, for this is my initial reaction to the ending, not the series as a whole.
Jan 14, 2014 9:48 AM

May 2013
7\7
Jan 21, 2014 4:46 PM
Nov 2013
What a great anime.
Elfen Lied and Neon Genesis Evangelion are excellent at leaving me drepessed...
Excellent ending, with a open perspective if Lucy/Nyu survived or not.

Nana was the character that deserved the most a happy ending. After all the physical abuse she suffered since she was a baby.
Feb 4, 2014 7:29 AM

Oct 2013
yeah defs gonna hit that manga up now. neeed more closure
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 4, 2014 8:45 PM

Jan 2014
I never really cared for lucy anyway... the whole romance side of elfen lied really pissed me off -- I WANT GORE -- nana and kuruma are my favorite characters ^^
Feb 4, 2014 8:47 PM

Jan 2014
lilypippili said:
I never really cared for lucy anyway... the whole romance side of elfen lied really pissed me off -- I WANT GORE -- nana and kuruma are my favorite characters ^^
read the manga oh and
look at the extra episode
anime with cute girls is my thing.
Feb 22, 2014 12:37 AM
Dec 2013
Amazing end! A true masterpiece!
Mar 14, 2014 1:30 PM

Jan 2014
So short, yet so mind-boggling.
G R E A T ! My favorite so far.
The next favorite one has
quite a challenge to deal with.
I'm so impressed, I'll say it's
P E R F E C T ^_________^

cynicism,love,sad destinies,
bloodshed tear-jerking and
all of this in just 13 episodes.
Mar 15, 2014 10:50 AM

Aug 2013
What a great ending... I am glad that Nana survived.
Mar 22, 2014 3:15 PM

Jun 2013
Unarguably one of the greatest shows of all time.
Apr 3, 2014 3:29 PM

Dec 2013
I still have hope for this series to receive a remake + season 2.

News has been inactive but the dvd sales keep on piling up, latest sale was starting in september 2013 bluray version

This seriously can't be the end ofit.
Apr 13, 2014 4:58 AM

Aug 2013
Wow.. I have so many unanswered questions D:
But this was a great series.
So much blood and gore even to the last ep.
Gonna miss Nyu/Lucy /:
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

"There is something in this world that no one has ever seen before. It is gentle and sweet. Maybe if it could be seen, everyone would fight over it. That is why the world hid it, so that no one could get their hands on it so easily. However, someday, someone will find it. The person who deserves it the most will definitely find it. "
— Aisaka Taiga and Takasu Ryuuji
Apr 15, 2014 6:11 AM

Oct 2013
4/10
Gay.
May 19, 2014 4:56 PM
Feb 2014
none of them were bad, they just grew up without love and affection, lived only with their habiidades, making killing people was a normal thing for them.
May 20, 2014 1:58 PM

May 2014
Incredible series
Jun 9, 2014 2:44 AM

Jun 2014
Nice anime , also a season 2 or a remake with better graphics would be good but i think it will never happen sadly anyway i give it 8/10
Aug 8, 2014 11:18 AM
Jun 2013
Meh, I guess it got slightly better towards the end. Although first I only disliked it because of all the unnecessary violence, nudity and trying to be edgy. But this last episode left so many unanswered questions. I'm guessing there are a bunch of theories. This is mine (although it's probably pretty obvious)

I'd say the person at the gate was obviously Nyu/Lucy. She also lost both of her horns. That's probably important since they even created an otherwise unnecessary scene just to show that she lost the other one too. Also the clock was fixed. Nyu was trying to fix the clock earlier but she failed every time. My guess is that the clock suddenly fixing symbolized the completion of Lucy's goal: apologizing to Kouta.
So I guess the clock = Lucy and as Nyu she's trying to fix the clock. As in she's trying to complete the goal of apologizing to Kouta. But every time she fails. The clock keeps breaking.
So at the end she apologizes and the clock works. No idea what the deal with the horns is.
Tl;dr: Lucy = clock, Lucy wants to apologize, can't -> clock broken, Lucy finally apologizes -> clock works.

It feels like they wanted to make a second season but never did. The leader of the institution that did tests on Diclonius' was a Diclonius? Okay, I guess. And one of his sons was, too. Was Kurama a Diclonius too? Who knows, probably not.

There was also some weird stuff that I'd probably get an answer to if I watched it for a second time. But I really didn't like the anime so I'm probably not gonna do that.

I guess I'll watch the OVA for funzies, I don't really care if it sucks because to me this anime was pretty bad anyway. Yet I watched all of it. I guess it was interesting enough to keep me watching so I'll give it a 4/10.
Aug 18, 2014 10:26 PM

Sep 2013
Umm..Kohta she cut your sister in half and decapitated your father in front of you and your OK with that?

What shit.

I dont even know what was that limbless SAT soldier's purpose. He gets cut down, survived and gets cut down again.

There were hardly any likeable characters and plotholes are still left open. Hmph probably an incomplete adaptation.

I originally wanted to give this an 8/10 but Im lowering my score now to 6/10.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Sep 11, 2014 10:24 PM

Jan 2013
Whoa, probably an unpopular opinion but I liked the ending. Got hit by feels for that Mariko girl in the wheelchair and her father, and I'm pretty happy Nana survived in the end :))

8/10
Sep 22, 2014 7:23 PM

Aug 2014
Everyone kept telling me how gorey and violent this series was, and after finishing it i think they were exaggerating, if anything some of the nudity was excessive in my opinion.

I dont see how Kouta remained so calm and kissed a girl who sliced his sister in half and cut his fathers head off o.O

all & all 8/10 from me.
"Whatever happens, happens."

Oct 1, 2014 12:58 AM

Oct 2013
I remember when I first finished this series in 2007 or sometime around then, I pulled an all nighter, watched it in one sitting, and was so shocked and flustered at Lucy's unbelievably tragic end, I laid down and sobbed for as long as I possibly could and passed out.

Did I now? Not at all; oddly enough, I ended up crying at the terribly touching scene between Mariko and Kurama and during Lucy and Kouta's talk on the stairs, which I don't recall doing before. Actually, I was pretty much teary-eyed throughout most of the episode and I'd still consider this one of the most depressing endings I've ever watched. But I'm trying to figure out why Lucy's demise didn't hit me nearly as hard as it once did. Was it because it wasn't emotional unlike the aforementioned two scenes (just shoot, aim, kill)? Was it because I already knew what would happen and how? Hmmm.

Of course, this all assumes Lucy was actually killed; the final scene strongly implies she didn't. I'd like to think she was, honestly, as odd as that sounds, just because it's so much more tragic and so much more emotional. Normally these ambiguous "main character I love was killed but there's implications s/he may not have been after all!" endings end up making me find any excuse possible to determine s/he survived, but I guess this is the one exception.

Overall, though, I still loved it. The first half most certainly seemed weaker than I remember, though I largely blame the dub for killing my ability to immerse myself in it, but the second half hit me pretty hard. Maybe because I finally grew accustomed to the dub; Lucy's dub VA was definitely fantastic, arguably better than the Japanese, and she successfully reminded me why I always loved Lucy so much. Anyway, now to decide if it's still worth the 9/10 and a spot as one of my favorite anime. I almost feel like it's only worth an 8/10 now, as the shock value didn't hit me nearly as hard as it did way back then. On the other hand, the emotional depth of many of the scenes (Mayu's sexual abuse, Nyu's chopping her hair and crying/apologizing, aforementioned scenes in this episode, etc.) hit me harder now than it did when I was a dumbass 14 year old who didn't know what emotional depth means, and I probably have a better appreciation for its themes now than I could've imagined then also. meh, I guess I'll decide later.

As an added note, I'm quite content Bando wasn't killed. For some reason, I had it in my head Lucy killed him back in episode 2 or 3... but I'm quite glad she didn't. The dude ended up being one of the most interesting parts of the series, oddly enough; largely because his voice acting in the dub was damn good.

Now I've really got to read the manga sometime.

Final thing that needs mentioned: Lilium is positively one of the most hauntingly beautiful anime pieces I've ever heard. It's use in this series is largely responsible for the impact of its tragedy. I could not possibly imagine the scenes in this episode alone without it. It's no wonder that it's the melody that brought Lucy and Kouta together.

/end Zadirant
ZadionDec 11, 2014 5:25 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 2, 2014 7:31 PM

Jul 2012
This is one of the most controversial anime (other than SAO, NGE, and a few other) that I've seen on the MAL forums. I expected this to be as bad as Pupa but it was kind of decent...Minus a few parts.

What I liked:
- "What is a human" theme
- Nana and papa subplot
- Somewhat complex storyline

What I disliked:
- Forced fanservice/ecchi: groping, unnecessary nudity, random blushing
- Cousin x main guy relationship: was this necessary? It was so cringe worthy
- Lucy's backstory was rushed and unnatural
- Gore; done too much to the point where it was funny
- Plot devices too convenient

But yeah it was pretty decent and not as bad as how some elitists say it was. Debating between 5 and 6 score atm.
Oct 3, 2014 3:56 PM

Jul 2014
Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it!

One of my favs, the end was really nice and I enjoyed the whole anime.
I've heard that the manga is even better, going to read it aswell.
It wasn't me who was wrong, it was the world!
Nov 8, 2014 9:01 AM
Aug 2014
I both hate and love endings like this. I hope it was Lucy who was at the door ^^
Nov 18, 2014 4:31 PM

Oct 2014
Very good ending to a very intense, deep, and psychological series. Multiple scenes very very emotional - Kurama dying with his daughter, Lucy and Kohta's talk, Lucy saving Nana, etc.

Also, great ending left open to interpretation. I think it was Lucy at the door personally, and that she didn't die with the soldiers, and that her horn flying off was what she wanted the soldiers to do (shoot it off, hence why not all her arms were blocking bullets) - then she could look more normal and maybe try to integrate with society better.

I'd give the overall anime a 8/10.
Nov 29, 2014 5:06 AM

May 2013
Well I finally got around to finish this anime.

Sort of mixed feelings with this one. As I am aware of it's flaws I can't help but say I found this show enjoyable, even though the characters were utterly awful and had shitty personalities. To make matters worse I watched this dubbed and man, this show probably has the worst dub I have ever seen, I'm pretty sure I could voice act better than most of them.

Also, the story, as it actually did have the potential to hook me in to the point where I was 100 percent engaged, I couldn't help but notice the amount of plot holes and unanswered questions there were at the end of it. With all the over the top gore and attempts at being "dark" I just couldn't take this shit seriously so I resulted in the old "Switch my brain off and let's see where this shit goes". The story had potential with a somewhat complex story line (to an extent) but just failed and was executed poorly.

Nether less I enjoyed the heck out of this anime, and enjoyed the episodes leading to the end.

Still contemplating whether to give this a 6 or 7. Well I'll eventually make my decision...
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Dec 8, 2014 3:46 PM

Jun 2014
I have mixed feelings, but overall I quite enjoyed it, loved the ending especially.
Dec 17, 2014 8:01 AM

Aug 2014
I really hope it was Lucy who stood at the gate.. Anyway, I really loved the whole anime, especially the Lucy x Kohta parts, I always wanted them to be together. Of course so many questions left that we have to answer for ourselves, but I guess that's how most ending work.. I'd give it a 9 out of 10 because of the excessive blood/nudity that I'm not used to.
Dec 26, 2014 1:22 PM

Jul 2014
Old but gold. I thought it was an interesting anime, turned out better then I expected. 9/10
Jan 4, 2015 3:48 PM
Jan 2015
I just recently finished re-watching this because I wanted to understand it better. It seems that most people wanted Kohta and Lucy/Nyu to end up together because the whole story is so tragic that some light at the end of the tunnel would have been nice. So after many sleepless nights, I came to my own, depressing conclusion:

No one was at the door. The final time you see Lucy, she is shot at and loses her second horn. It looks as though her vectors are thrown in the air kind of like "I surrender", and the blood/horn coming off suggests she was fatally wounded. If, like people suggested, it was the death of Lucy and the return of Nyu, it wouldn't explain how Nyu escaped the situation where there is still an army of guns firing at her.

The bit that really gives it away for me is the end scene...it's all symbolic. The music box ending and the clock starting is obviously symbolic of Lucy dying but not necessarily of Nyu returning as it was hinted throughout that death would be somewhat of a freedom for Lucy. So with this symbolism in mind, why should the figure at the door be taken literally? Dogs are often used in film (And it is based on truth) to bark at a ghost/spirit/entity that humans can't see or feel, and when Kohta comes out there is no sudden gasp or realisation of Nyu's return...because IMO, he can't see her, only the dog senses her.

And that is the conclusion of hours of tossing and turning in bed. I love a happy ending in the right context, but this is as happy as a "I kill everything" ending can be.
Jan 4, 2015 10:36 PM

May 2011
^

Some good theories/analysis in here.

Elfen Lied was quite the emotional experience. I should definitely check out the Manga to get closure after a breather. Don't get me wrong, the closure for this Anime was artistic, and already stands alone. But it is my heart that needs closure.

Kurama, you will be remembered. Nana, may you find happiness. Lucy... Lucy.. Lucy.
Jan 31, 2015 4:40 PM

Sep 2014
so..... seen the lion king i wasnt that sad... Nice ending, for me the only question left un answer was the horn man
Feb 20, 2015 4:06 PM
Jan 2015
Great Anime! Personally I've become a huge fan of endings that leave open interpretations as to how the Anime really ends. There's really something beautiful about being able to choose how you believe a fantastic show ends in your own mind.

So I personally believe that It was Nyuu behind the door, and since there's no definite answer as to whether or not it was, I can feel confident that my answer is the right one in my own mind.

Again great series. 10/10
Feb 27, 2015 5:21 AM

Feb 2015
Enemigo said:
I just recently finished re-watching this because I wanted to understand it better. It seems that most people wanted Kohta and Lucy/Nyu to end up together because the whole story is so tragic that some light at the end of the tunnel would have been nice. So after many sleepless nights, I came to my own, depressing conclusion:

No one was at the door. The final time you see Lucy, she is shot at and loses her second horn. It looks as though her vectors are thrown in the air kind of like "I surrender", and the blood/horn coming off suggests she was fatally wounded. If, like people suggested, it was the death of Lucy and the return of Nyu, it wouldn't explain how Nyu escaped the situation where there is still an army of guns firing at her.

The bit that really gives it away for me is the end scene...it's all symbolic. The music box ending and the clock starting is obviously symbolic of Lucy dying but not necessarily of Nyu returning as it was hinted throughout that death would be somewhat of a freedom for Lucy. So with this symbolism in mind, why should the figure at the door be taken literally? Dogs are often used in film (And it is based on truth) to bark at a ghost/spirit/entity that humans can't see or feel, and when Kohta comes out there is no sudden gasp or realisation of Nyu's return...because IMO, he can't see her, only the dog senses her.

And that is the conclusion of hours of tossing and turning in bed. I love a happy ending in the right context, but this is as happy as a "I kill everything" ending can be.

I actually like this theory a lot^^ I think it's way better than just that Lucy came back.
The ending is sad but in a weird way beautiful too.

I'm glad Nana got a new home though I couldn't help but cry when Kurama died with his real child. It was just so sad and I felt bad for Nana.

In the end almost everything ended up happily. Although I didn't warm up too much for the last discussion between Kohta and Lucy. Okay it was sad and all but it doesn't erase that Lucy killed so many people including Kohta's sister and father just cause he told her a little lie. That is not good enough for a reason to me do that. And I thought Kohta would have been more devastated about that.

I don't know yet how to rate this cause I enjoyed it quite a bit but there were many flaws in it too.. Maybe 8/10 ?
Homeless_SwallowMay 4, 2015 6:12 AM
"Oh, I wasn't trying to be funny.. I would've put a 'Haha' at the end of it."

Mar 26, 2015 7:41 PM

Nov 2014
I just finished the series. Sitting at my desk dumbfounded. F**king hell.

6/10 overall.

It was better than expected, but I doubt i'll watch it again.
Mar 31, 2015 4:34 PM
Mar 2015
SPOILER WARNING.

I thought it was a decent anime. For more read my review of it. At the end I think Lucy was standing there. She got her other horn shot off on purpose so she could look more human, perhaps signifying that she no longer intends to destroy the human race but be Kouta's lover.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Sandgolem - Aug 26, 2007

178 by Sammstar »»
May 29, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

112 by waleedmel »»
May 19, 10:02 PM

» How is this still rated 7.5?

Dirittoprocedura - Apr 29

25 by Phloup »»
Apr 29, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Chelle - Aug 21, 2007

199 by vikivill »»
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Nov 30, 2007

105 by GarlicDead »»
Mar 31, 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.