Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
May 7, 2013 7:16 AM

Dec 2012
More of the peaceful life, not sure how long this can continue, guess we should enjoy it as long as we can?
I really dislike those gay looking people >_> thankfully they didn't stick around for long. Its nice to see peaceful living but I hope something starts happening soon, maybe in episode 7 past the halfway point?
May 7, 2013 7:27 AM

Jun 2008
bastek66 said:
Dammit Hisasi

Where's this from? Looks like a DVD cover for hentai OVA.
May 7, 2013 7:30 AM

Sep 2012
Darklight0303 said:
Pat_To_Do-List said:
Though it was calm episode, it was pretty pleasing. We found out that Ledo was trying really hard to fit to the Gargantian people by searching for work. Though it was understandable considering that he is a mecha pilot that really focused on his job since his early days.
I wonder what was that giant sprinkler for. Was it for cleaning all the building on Gargantia?
Yakiniku party! I really want to taste the meat with old lady special sauce.

jbeat said:
A very relaxing episode to watch..

Relaxing and funny if I do say so myself.

zeroryoko1974 said:
Some people really get mad at fanservice episodes

Some of the SnG audience here are expecting this series to be like "extreme epicness of mecha battle with huge laser gun that can destroy a star to make a black hole" or something similar to that. I think this is really great series! If some of the audience want a mecha battle scene extreme laser and explosion everywhere, I suggest to watch another series with shounen genre.

Or how about they didn't bait us in with those things ON THE FIRST FUCKING EPISODE

The first half of the first episode was a piece of shit. If that was a bait for you, I can just feel sorry.
May 7, 2013 8:06 AM

Apr 2008
Litrydow said:
Darklight0303 said:
Pat_To_Do-List said:
Though it was calm episode, it was pretty pleasing. We found out that Ledo was trying really hard to fit to the Gargantian people by searching for work. Though it was understandable considering that he is a mecha pilot that really focused on his job since his early days.
I wonder what was that giant sprinkler for. Was it for cleaning all the building on Gargantia?
Yakiniku party! I really want to taste the meat with old lady special sauce.

jbeat said:
A very relaxing episode to watch..

Relaxing and funny if I do say so myself.

zeroryoko1974 said:

Some of the SnG audience here are expecting this series to be like "extreme epicness of mecha battle with huge laser gun that can destroy a star to make a black hole" or something similar to that. I think this is really great series! If some of the audience want a mecha battle scene extreme laser and explosion everywhere, I suggest to watch another series with shounen genre.

Or how about they didn't bait us in with those things ON THE FIRST FUCKING EPISODE

The first half of the first episode was a piece of shit. If that was a bait for you, I can just feel sorry.

Oh yes cause cutesy slice of life shit is so much better? Oh wait it's a matter of taste. Which yours clearly sucks
May 7, 2013 8:07 AM

Jun 2010
Deym swimsuits! I like.
May 7, 2013 8:17 AM

Jan 2012
Darklight0303 said:
Litrydow said:

Oh yes cause cutesy slice of life shit is so much better? Oh wait it's a matter of taste. Which yours clearly sucks

I have to say too the first half of the first episode was a mess, it was such a incoherent shitstorm of information it hardly made sense. For once not really liking Gen's writing, the second half got a lot better though. I started getting into it after that. On a constructive note it would probably be a good idea to read the synopsis of a show before you jump to conclusions.
May 7, 2013 8:28 AM

Oct 2012
Obligatory swimsuit episode. And ship slice-of-life. And according to PV next episode will continue with this story-flow.
May 7, 2013 9:56 AM

Jan 2012
I have a feeling this is the calm before the storm. lol
May 7, 2013 9:59 AM

Apr 2008
penguindrum264 said:
I have a feeling this is the calm before the storm. lol

I hope so. Because my rating is slipping with each episode.
May 7, 2013 10:12 AM

Mar 2012
I don't think the battle scene was a mess, nor bait. I think it was the logical thing to show at that point. You see a short scene of his life as a soldier in a galactic war which gives you a better understanding of where he comes from; but also sets up the contradiction between that life and his new life on Gargantia. It was a bit jumbled and kind of heavy on the information side, but that makes sense because they didn't want to waste a whole episode on it and they probably will go back to that storyline eventually.

Personally, I love the way the show has done it so far. You have a ridiculously epic/intense battle scene, followed by a couple more battle scenes that are way less epic/intense, gradually getting more peaceful and carefree. The whole point of the show is a kind of "fish out of water" story about a young future soldier who is suddenly transported to a relatively primitive, relatively peaceful world and how he deals with it. I'm sure there will be more action stuff later, but you can't just have non-stop action every episode or you would completely ruin the point which is that he doesn't know how to deal with peace. He is completely at home in battle, so if there was non-stop action than how would he ever grow as a person or change his views? He straight up says in the first episode that he doesn't even get scared in battle anymore, but then he is super uncomfortable just sitting with a sick kid.

If you want realistic character growth then there has to be an extended period of no battle or war for him to undergo a transformation into a more civilian type of person. That way, when the shit hits the fan and he has to go back into soldier mode, it's with a completely new personality and outlook. Then we will be able to see how his growth affects the way he fights. (and that way the battle scenes and the transformation back into super-soldier mode will be that much more intense)

The pacing is pretty fucking spot on so far with this show, a rare occurrence in anime, it seems.
Let's go bowling.
May 7, 2013 10:32 AM

Apr 2008
StopDropAndBowl said:
I don't think the battle scene was a mess, nor bait. I think it was the logical thing to show at that point. You see a short scene of his life as a soldier in a galactic war which gives you a better understanding of where he comes from; but also sets up the contradiction between that life and his new life on Gargantia. It was a bit jumbled and kind of heavy on the information side, but that makes sense because they didn't want to waste a whole episode on it and they probably will go back to that storyline eventually.

Personally, I love the way the show has done it so far. You have a ridiculously epic/intense battle scene, followed by a couple more battle scenes that are way less epic/intense, gradually getting more peaceful and carefree. The whole point of the show is a kind of "fish out of water" story about a young future soldier who is suddenly transported to a relatively primitive, relatively peaceful world and how he deals with it. I'm sure there will be more action stuff later, but you can't just have non-stop action every episode or you would completely ruin the point which is that he doesn't know how to deal with peace. He is completely at home in battle, so if there was non-stop action than how would he ever grow as a person or change his views? He straight up says in the first episode that he doesn't even get scared in battle anymore, but then he is super uncomfortable just sitting with a sick kid.

If you want realistic character growth then there has to be an extended period of no battle or war for him to undergo a transformation into a more civilian type of person. That way, when the shit hits the fan and he has to go back into soldier mode, it's with a completely new personality and outlook. Then we will be able to see how his growth affects the way he fights. (and that way the battle scenes and the transformation back into super-soldier mode will be that much more intense)

The pacing is pretty fucking spot on so far with this show, a rare occurrence in anime, it seems.

That growth you describe takes MORE than the 12 episodes this series has. That's the main problem. Wasting the precious limited time on episodes like this don't fill me with confidence that the conclusion won't be a rushed smouldering trainwreck
May 7, 2013 10:44 AM
Oct 2012
zeroryoko1974 said:

If the producers had faith in the story, they wouldn't need a fanservice episode: that is why God created OVA's.

I have nothing against fanservice, they can slip it in when they have the chance and so much the better, but to make it the focus of an entire episode or 1/12 the entire series? Depressing.

Oh, and could people stop calling this "slice of life" episode. It isn't, nor is this series. K-On had more character development than this show by this point. "Ledo, stop killing". "Why?" "Because it's bad." "Okay". That isn't development.

As for "life", this isn't a "life", nor is it a "slice". First the appeal of "slice of life" is that is seemingly ordinary, here we have a stranger dropped into a strange land. That isn't "slice of life", that is its very opposite. A "slice" is a part of the whole, but by definition this is the entire whole. Second there has been no "life". We know very little about this world, what we do know is completely contradictory. Gargantia appears to be some sort of communal paradise, everyone is one big happy family looking out for everyone else. Which isn't bad mind you, but in a world where the other social group are huge pirate fleets? Not bloody likely. You can't have a slice of life without having a defined setting, and this show has gone out of its way not to provide one.

In fact, the setting has been so bad, I am beginning to contemplate that this entire show may well prove to be a troll. That the reason things are so disjointed is because it is all happening in Ledo's head, a fantasy he is projecting as he is trapped in the warp. First and last episodes indeed.
May 7, 2013 10:47 AM

Mar 2012
Darklight0303 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

That growth you describe takes MORE than the 12 episodes this series has. That's the main problem. Wasting the precious limited time on episodes like this don't fill me with confidence that the conclusion won't be a rushed smouldering trainwreck

It doesn't really though, because the storyline with the aliens and the Galactic Alliance probably isn't the main storyline. It's a kind of side-story that just serves as a setting for the actual story which is the transformation of the main character. They don't need to be focusing on what's going on there because it doesn't matter except for how it has affected and created the main character. If that storyline somehow merges with the real story (which is him on earth) as I'm pretty sure it will, then it still won't require all that much development because we already pretty much know all about that:

Hyper-militaristic society that is at war with a hostile alien race for control of the galaxy/survival.

There really isn't much else to know besides maybe who the little kid is that we saw, but that is actually more relevant to the Earth plot because that is part of the humanization of the MC, which is the whole point of him being on Earth. Basically, if the show was going to be about a super soldier saving the galaxy from aliens, than I could see what you're saying, and you'd be right. Obviously that's not the point though, the point of the show, what the show is really about seems to be pretty clear: how does a person who is completely and wholly defined by his profession as a soldier deal with a society that knows no real war? How does he react to peace and "useless, inefficient" ways of living? How does he come to learn that humans aren't just cogs in a machine?

The way they've been showing it so far has been perfectly fine. His humanization is already well underway: he is beginning to form friendships, is starting to grow more comfortable with the new way of life and the people around him, etc. If they threw in battle scenes all that would be screwed up (realistically he would just revert back into his soldier-mode). If they throw in all kinds of exposition about the war with the aliens than that leaves no room for his character to change, and would be very out of place with the whole: "learning to live in peace" story.

I guess it's possible that the conclusion will be rushed, though I get the feeling that they're not planning on wrapping everything up anyway. But so far there hasn't been any indication that they will be rushing anything, especially since they seem to be taking their time with his transformation: which is a good thing. Most shows would already have him joking around and perfectly comfortable with his new life, which is horribly unrealistic. Or they would have thrown in an obligatory battle scene every episode which would be unforgivably contradictory.
Let's go bowling.
May 7, 2013 10:59 AM

Apr 2008
Takuan_Soho said:
zeroryoko1974 said:

If the producers had faith in the story, they wouldn't need a fanservice episode: that is why God created OVA's.

I have nothing against fanservice, they can slip it in when they have the chance and so much the better, but to make it the focus of an entire episode or 1/12 the entire series? Depressing.

Oh, and could people stop calling this "slice of life" episode. It isn't, nor is this series. K-On had more character development than this show by this point. "Ledo, stop killing". "Why?" "Because it's bad." "Okay". That isn't development.

As for "life", this isn't a "life", nor is it a "slice". First the appeal of "slice of life" is that is seemingly ordinary, here we have a stranger dropped into a strange land. That isn't "slice of life", that is its very opposite. A "slice" is a part of the whole, but by definition this is the entire whole. Second there has been no "life". We know very little about this world, what we do know is completely contradictory. Gargantia appears to be some sort of communal paradise, everyone is one big happy family looking out for everyone else. Which isn't bad mind you, but in a world where the other social group are huge pirate fleets? Not bloody likely. You can't have a slice of life without having a defined setting, and this show has gone out of its way not to provide one.

In fact, the setting has been so bad, I am beginning to contemplate that this entire show may well prove to be a troll. That the reason things are so disjointed is because it is all happening in Ledo's head, a fantasy he is projecting as he is trapped in the warp. First and last episodes indeed.

Now that's a twist I can get behind.
May 7, 2013 11:00 AM
Sep 2012
stefeman said:
Bwhahaha! Wtf is this shit? xD

Large image:

Lol at the shemales xD Great episode anyways XD

DAT HAMSTER
follow me on tumblr (i follow back, unless your some bloody yugiohentai blog lol)
http://xoxotaku.tumblr.com

May 7, 2013 11:03 AM

Dec 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:

You Sir, are my hero. Totally agree with you.
I like anime.
May 7, 2013 12:32 PM

Feb 2013
This series starts as a great mecha anime with satisfying fights and the plot. Now it becomes a lovely story about sweet girls who use a robot as a grill. Cute girls are pervasive. It's pathetic. Moreover, the idea of successful and happy life is exaggerated. The sweetness, the sweetness and once again the sweetness. I hope it would change.
May 7, 2013 1:07 PM

Nov 2011
Grafogirl said:
This series starts as a great mecha anime with satisfying fights and the plot. Now it becomes a lovely story about sweet girls who use a robot as a grill. Cute girls are pervasive. It's pathetic. Moreover, the idea of successful and happy life is exaggerated. The sweetness, the sweetness and once again the sweetness. I hope it would change.

Seriously, go watch some war documentary. You won't have mecha there, but I guarantee there will be no cute girls, no happy life and no sweetness. There will be blood, death, fear and despair. It's unlikely that Suisei no Gargantia will satisfy your expectations.

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
May 7, 2013 3:07 PM

Jan 2013
Pat_To_Do-List said:

zeroryoko1974 said:

Some of us don't really care about "epic mecha battles", but just want some story development. And there was none to be found in this episode. Or you consider "Ledo being awkward with things" to be development. That was more then clear in the last few episodes. If the episode was a mix between building on what we've learned from the last episode (Ledo's flashback) and him trying to contribute by working, then I would be ok with it. But this was fan service galore that felt really out of place.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
May 7, 2013 6:25 PM

Feb 2013
I didn't think this episode was that great, it was just a filler/fan service episode, there's nothing wrong with that considering most anime of similar genre have them but I feel like nothing happened, not really even character development imo but oh well one filler is enough to turn you away from an anime then you wont watch very many lol
[/url]
May 7, 2013 6:37 PM
Mar 2008
Standard fan service filler episode.... meh
It broke tone, rating goes down ;)

Out of place yes.. also introduced plot holes (what energy source is the fleet using? Oil in a post apocalypse world?) I see no wind power systems anywhere, no solar panels, no oil wells or refineries. so what? Where do they even get electric power from?) Magic?

Anyway, it's odd to see an 12 episode Anime having a filler episode like this....
May 7, 2013 10:41 PM

Jan 2010
eRe4s3r said:

Out of place yes.. also introduced plot holes (what energy source is the fleet using? Oil in a post apocalypse world?) I see no wind power systems anywhere, no solar panels, no oil wells or refineries. so what? Where do they even get electric power from?) Magic?

Anyway, it's odd to see an 12 episode Anime having a filler episode like this....

They got the electric form "Milky Path" go watch episode 2. Around 15:30-17 min..

May 7, 2013 10:57 PM

Jul 2011
eRe4s3r said:

How so? How was this episode any different in terms of Ledo trying to find a place and comprehend his new surroundings. Even with the skirmishes in past episodes, the Anime has still been quite light in tone which if i were to guess, as with all anime of this nature goes, will not last for long.
May 7, 2013 11:40 PM

Sep 2008
I'll let this one slide. Nobody would complain if this was an OVA but now everyone is bitching when it happened to be put in the middle of the series. That's no reason to hate on it. Not to mention this was above average for a beach episode.

Hopefully the show will pick up the story again in the next episode.
May 8, 2013 12:46 AM

Dec 2009
For those of us who are bemoaning the current state of the series: I think there's another way to think about this. Sure, the first episode was false advertising. But maybe it wasn't intentional. I have a hunch that the details of the space setting, the Hideaz and the Alliance and whatnot, was only thought up of after the rest of the story had already been written out. And some genius went ahead and outdid himself, made the background story a little too enticing, practically overshadowing the real plot of the series, sending all of us the wrong message. The flashback of his brother too, was probably some weak attempt at connecting the two.

I mean think about it. Did they REALLY have to go that far to set up an alien trying to mesh into human society? No. And it shows. They spent 4~5 episodes, a full third of the series, to slow down the momentum from the bg story and completely tone down the mecha in order to proceed with the main plot. So no, the producers aren't trolling us. They just screwed up really badly.
May 8, 2013 1:24 AM

Apr 2008
morrownight said:
For those of us who are bemoaning the current state of the series: I think there's another way to think about this. Sure, the first episode was false advertising. But maybe it wasn't intentional. I have a hunch that the details of the space setting, the Hideaz and the Alliance and whatnot, was only thought up of after the rest of the story had already been written out. And some genius went ahead and outdid himself, made the background story a little too enticing, practically overshadowing the real plot of the series, sending all of us the wrong message. The flashback of his brother too, was probably some weak attempt at connecting the two.

I mean think about it. Did they REALLY have to go that far to set up an alien trying to mesh into human society? No. And it shows. They spent 4~5 episodes, a full third of the series, to slow down the momentum from the bg story and completely tone down the mecha in order to proceed with the main plot. So no, the producers aren't trolling us. They just screwed up really badly.

That's pretty much it.
May 8, 2013 5:28 AM

May 2009
morrownight said:
So no, the producers aren't trolling us. They just screwed up really badly.

>Third most preordered anime of this season
>screw up
May 8, 2013 5:59 AM

Mar 2012
I didn't find the back-round story to be all that interesting to be perfectly honest. It seems like a pretty generic: "Future society fighting aliens" plot-line to me. The only interest I really have in it is how it relates to the main character's development as a person, and how he will react if reintroduced to it, or if it is reintroduced to the Earth in some way. The little kid thing is, as I said before, more closely connected to the Earth story-line anyway as it is an example of his humanization. The Galactic Alliance represents his robotic, militaristic "personality" (it cannot be called a true personality), whereas Earth represents his growth out of that and the beginning of an actual individuality.

The point of going "that far to set up an alien trying to mesh into human society" was to show how extremely different his old life is compared to his new life. His old life was constant war and obedience; no friendships, no personal motivations or feelings, no emotion. His new life is in relative piece, with almost unlimited freedom of movement and choice, is full of lively people who wish to be his friend, and most importantly, requires him to have personal feelings and motivations. If they didn't go so far to contrast the old with the new than him being as removed from, and shocked by, the new as he is would make no sense.
Let's go bowling.
May 8, 2013 6:03 AM
Jan 2010
As I saw in which direction it would go I jumped from scene to scene and left out the whole episode.
May 8, 2013 9:08 AM

Dec 2009
bastek66 said:
morrownight said:

>screw up

Yeah, yeah. Producers churn out mainstream garbage and fans get their fix. Have you ever considered that there might be more to anime, or anything for that matter, than what caters to the masses?

StopDropAndBowl said:
I didn't find the back-round story to be all that interesting to be perfectly honest. It seems like a pretty generic: "Future society fighting aliens" plot-line to me.

If you aren't interested in the genre to begin with, of course it will look generic to you. You won't see the potential because your attention is elsewhere.
tealcactusMay 8, 2013 9:55 PM
May 8, 2013 11:26 AM

Sep 2012
Darklight0303 said:

It's not that simple. I'm not a fan of slice of life, but it isn't a shit in itself, YOU just don't like it. And as far as I see your list, you can only enjoy what is action-packed, otherwise you consider it crap.

I won't give a high rating to this if it remains a slice of life until the end, but it would've been even lower if it was that generic space fighting piece of shit all the time. Just some great dialogues and culture shock we've had so far made it better than that. And I still hope there'll be an actual plot in the second half of the show, connecting both the Alliance background and the new Earth.
May 8, 2013 12:22 PM
Jan 2012
I hate the fanservice (and it doesn't help that all 3 girls have the annoying high pitched voices), but I enjoyed all the drag queen scenes. >D I'm glad the drag queens were there instead of this being a pure fan service episode. I understand that this is all part of Red's growth to understand what makes Earthings, jovial (Japanese pervert style?). I wish it was handled more like Shingu's BBQ episode just to show humans having fun, but alas, I didn't expect it to be like that.

Red, yes... Seeing guys dressed as drag queens in an obscure district is part of the real world! Mwahahahaha~!!

So anyways, I've mostly rated this series at just a "good" level except for the last episode, which is still the best of them all. (Episode 5 would've been an "ok" if not for the drag queens.) Red's development is still my main drive to watch the show. I hope Episode 6 is as great as Episode 4.
May 8, 2013 10:53 PM

Jun 2009
Looks like people prefer to see mindless pew-pew laser over Ledo's character development...

The dude's an alien(Well, returning to his roots in some ways or another) who's trying to fit in and be useful. He realize that he is completely useless outside of fighting, and is pretty much a waste of resources.

His effort in trying to be relevant is something admirable, not to mention he learn a little more about Gargantia, it's value and society.

It seem like people don't notice this but....
This story is not about galactic warfare, it's about Ledo and his growth. The whole galactic warfare fight for life thing is just Ledo's background.

Eventually, Ledo may, or may not go back up to space, either way it's fine. If he go back to space, he'll become a soldier who can see things from a different, more human perspective, if he don't, he'll become human and live his life in Gargantia.

Some people do care about seeing how this bland robot slowly develop, grow and slowly become human... If you want pure action, pew-pew laser, limited character development and zero fan-service, you're watching the wrong show. Just go re-watch Star Wars fight scenes on repeat.
AirStylesMay 8, 2013 11:25 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 9, 2013 2:56 AM

Apr 2008
AirStyles said:
Looks like people prefer to see mindless pew-pew laser over Ledo's character development...

The dude's an alien(Well, returning to his roots in some ways or another) who's trying to fit in and be useful. He realize that he is completely useless outside of fighting, and is pretty much a waste of resources.

His effort in trying to be relevant is something admirable, not to mention he learn a little more about Gargantia, it's value and society.

It seem like people don't notice this but....
This story is not about galactic warfare, it's about Ledo and his growth. The whole galactic warfare fight for life thing is just Ledo's background.

Eventually, Ledo may, or may not go back up to space, either way it's fine. If he go back to space, he'll become a soldier who can see things from a different, more human perspective, if he don't, he'll become human and live his life in Gargantia.

Some people do care about seeing how this bland robot slowly develop, grow and slowly become human... If you want pure action, pew-pew laser, limited character development and zero fan-service, you're watching the wrong show. Just go re-watch Star Wars fight scenes on repeat.

Completely forgetting that background setting in favor of your precious development is NOT good writing no matter what you bloody think. I never said I want it to be full action. Just that the universe is not a convenient place to allow the MC to find a place that will NEVER be hit by an invading alien race that is seemingly UNSTOPPABLE. The portrayal right now is naive if it is stays like this throughout the series. If the plot does return then it will be horribly rushed and thus ruin the show even more. The length of this series does not give it the luxury to waste episodes on beaches, bikinis boobs and ass, underage or not.
May 9, 2013 4:00 AM
Jan 2010
Darklight0303 said:

Completely forgetting that background setting in favor of your precious development is NOT good writing no matter what you bloody think.

l-l-l-l-l-look out guys, we've got an expert on writing here! seriously look the fuck out guys this connoisseur of professional writing isn't fucking around
he knows how to make good anime and he isn't afraid to flaunt it around
do not, I repeat, DO NOT under any circumstances try to fight this guy on his home turf, that is, professional anime writing
May 9, 2013 4:30 AM

Apr 2008
wailofthebanshee said:
Darklight0303 said:

Completely forgetting that background setting in favor of your precious development is NOT good writing no matter what you bloody think.

l-l-l-l-l-look out guys, we've got an expert on writing here! seriously look the fuck out guys this connoisseur of professional writing isn't fucking around
he knows how to make good anime and he isn't afraid to flaunt it around
do not, I repeat, DO NOT under any circumstances try to fight this guy on his home turf, that is, professional anime writing

Your mockery would work. If I was the only one saying these things. Thing is. I am not. You lose the last coin. Insert one more to continue or do you accept the game over in this debate?
May 9, 2013 4:31 AM

Mar 2012
Darklight0303 said:

Completely forgetting that background setting in favor of your precious development is NOT good writing no matter what you bloody think. I never said I want it to be full action. Just that the universe is not a convenient place to allow the MC to find a place that will NEVER be hit by an invading alien race that is seemingly UNSTOPPABLE. The portrayal right now is naive if it is stays like this throughout the series. If the plot does return then it will be horribly rushed and thus ruin the show even more. The length of this series does not give it the luxury to waste episodes on beaches, bikinis boobs and ass, underage or not.

Well actually, constantly switching back and forth between intense action and slow, peaceful character development isn't good writing either (it''s called: "inconsistent tone" when you do it) And having character development when there is no real place that it could happen (how does a soldier become a civilian if he is in constant battle?) isn't good writing. And what makes you think they have "forgotten" about the back-story? Because the entire show isn't about that one aspect they have completely forgotten about it? No, what they're doing is exactly what I have said like one hundred times: building the character. The show is pretty clearly a character piece, not a pure action-mecha anime.

What exactly should they have done with this episode instead of a "beach" (they live on the friggin ocean lol) episode? More pirates? How would that fit in with developing the character or building up the Galactic Alliance story-line? Should the Gallactic Alliance have shown up? But then realistically he would just go back to them and go right back into being a soldier, negating the entire purpose of him even coming to Earth in the first place. Should it have been all flashbacks? But his story was pretty clear-cut: he has been raised from birth to be a soldier, and there is some kid that he felt affection for at one time or another. Revealing the kid would be unrealistic because at this point he still hasn't reached the point where he can deal with emotions in a remotely mature manner.

You're basically arguing that they should rush character development so that we can get back to the action. Which would be fine... if the show wasn't a character development story. So I could see saying: "Well I want another type of story. I want an action anime with little-to-no character development." There is nothing wrong with that. But saying that only shows with little-to-no character development even qualify as good writing is ridiculous, and like it or not, that is what you're saying. You're suggesting that they should nix character development in a character-study story in favor of action... wtf? How does that make any sense?
Let's go bowling.
May 9, 2013 4:38 AM

Apr 2008
StopDropAndBowl said:
Darklight0303 said:

Well actually, constantly switching back and forth between intense action and slow, peaceful character development isn't good writing either (it''s called: "inconsistent tone" when you do it) And having character development when there is no real place that it could happen (how does a soldier become a civilian if he is in constant battle?) isn't good writing. And what makes you think they have "forgotten" about the back-story? Because the entire show isn't about that one aspect they have completely forgotten about it? No, what they're doing is exactly what I have said like one hundred times: building the character. The show is pretty clearly a character piece, not a pure action-mecha anime.

What exactly should they have done with this episode instead of a "beach" (they live on the friggin ocean lol) episode? More pirates? How would that fit in with developing the character or building up the Galactic Alliance story-line? Should the Gallactic Alliance have shown up? But then realistically he would just go back to them and go right back into being a soldier, negating the entire purpose of him even coming to Earth in the first place. Should it have been all flashbacks? But his story was pretty clear-cut: he has been raised from birth to be a soldier, and there is some kid that he felt affection for at one time or another. Revealing the kid would be unrealistic because at this point he still hasn't reached the point where he can deal with emotions in a remotely mature manner.

You're basically arguing that they should rush character development so that we can get back to the action. Which would be fine... if the show wasn't a character development story. So I could see saying: "Well I want another type of story. I want an action anime with little-to-no character development." There is nothing wrong with that. But saying that only shows with little-to-no character development even qualify as good writing is ridiculous, and like it or not, that is what you're saying. You're suggesting that they should nix character development in a character-study story in favor of action... wtf? How does that make any sense?

Here's the thing though. This episode COULD HARDLY BE CALLED DEVELOPMENT. It was just gratuitous fan-service and crack. Development, was the previous episode with the whole brother thing and Ledo thinking about how he should fit in.

This was just pleasing the masses.

It's like they ran out of steam on ideas on how to develop Ledo even more so why not distract the audience and stall for time and just throw him in a sea of skin and curves and see how he flails about wildly. Oh and throw some cross-dressers in the mix too for added comedy har dee har har.

And if it is true they ran out of steam on ideas for that then I am not in the least optimistic about this series future.
Darklight0303May 9, 2013 4:45 AM
May 9, 2013 5:06 AM

Mar 2012
You're not reading me: how are they supposed to develop this particular character? He is a rigid, cold, emotionally stunted, calculating individual whose entire life has been war. Peace and laziness are the things that are completely foreign to him. Doing something meaningless and "useless" like going to a beach just for the hell of it with your friends isn't something he has any experience with. You're so hyper-focused on the fact that they had bikini's on that you're missing the point: he has no friends, he has no experience doing useless things; going to the beach, for him, isn't some normal, everyday, insignificant thing. For him it is the complete opposite of everything he has ever experienced or thought to be important.

Would you have been happier if the episode was all of the female characters in burqas, playing cards? Because that would serve basically the same purpose, which is exactly to have an experience for him that serves no purpose other than pure enjoyment. Him talking with the sick kid was good, because it highlighted another aspect of his personality: his rejection of useless people, and of the importance of human life in general. This episode serves the purpose of highlighting his rejection of trivial actions. Did you notice that the entire episode he seemed uncomfortable because he wasn't doing anything important? And that toward the end he started to warm up to the idea and began actually enjoying himself?

That's an important part of the character, as up to that point he has no person-hood outside of what he is doing. If you look below the surface, you'll see that he considers himself entirely a soldier, with no attribute or personal trait that doesn't serve the direct purpose of making him a more efficient killer. Only by being forced into a situation where he has nothing to do can he begin to build his own personality outside of his profession. His definition as a person can't just be "soldier" anymore because there is no one to fight, and he is given no option to replace it. He can't become a "mechanic" because that would be analogous (for the character) to replacing one drug addiction with another. He would just devote his entire being into whatever job he was given as a self-defense mechanism and would have no chance to build his own person. That was the point of having him fetch the BBQ sauce. He finally has something to do, and he devotes himself to it entirely, only to realize that it was just another trivial thing with no higher importance than self-fulfillment. For him, self-fulfillment is foreign. It doesn't exist before this episode. It can't exist without this episode.

Also, if you noticed, he doesn't have any experience with females on the sexual level; he shows no interest in it in the first episode. To him, sexual relations would be fulfilling a duty to the Galactic Alliance and nothing more. Seeing a bunch of cute girls in bikinis would be a shock in of itself to a young man who has no experience with anything of that nature. Further, it makes complete sense that they would be go swimming on a day off of work because they live on boats in the ocean.

You're only seeing fan-service because you're not considering the whole point of the show and the character. I see fan-service, but not useless fan-service. It actually does serve a point to develop the character, arguably more effectively than the previous episode with the sick child. Without seeing WHY these people consider life to be worth something (the pure enjoyment of it) than he could have no way of being convinced that someone like the sick boy should be allowed to live and consume precious resources. Only by seeing that utilitarianism isn't the only worthy drive of human beings can he come to realize the flaws in a purely utilitarian world-view. It's almost as if the development was too subtle for people to realize what's going on, but that actually isn't it either; it's just a knee-jerk rejection of "fan-service" without considering anything else. Get past the horror of girls in bikinis and you'll see the reason why this is arguably the most important episode for character development that they could have.
Let's go bowling.
May 9, 2013 2:22 PM
Jan 2013
They want us to fall in love with all the characters. It's working for me, but I think this is so that deaths will be actually really painful. Bloodshed inbound.
May 9, 2013 6:02 PM
Mar 2008
ImagineThat said:
eRe4s3r said:

How so? How was this episode any different in terms of Ledo trying to find a place and comprehend his new surroundings. Even with the skirmishes in past episodes, the Anime has still been quite light in tone which if i were to guess, as with all anime of this nature goes, will not last for long.

Well by introducing illogical behavior of all characters of course ^^ I think I agree with what someone else said, they overdid the intro episode raising the wrong expectations there, to me the first few episodes (including the flashback in Ep4) were a different tone than a bathsuit filler episode with transvestites and ledo nearly dying (now they also introduce wonky anime physics by a small frail girl catching someone who is falling to his death from a .... what.. sprinkler tower? That's not how physics work ;)

I guess the series just is a slice of life series with a weird tone.. not sure I will stay with it to the end.. but hey.. we'll see what ep 6 does
May 9, 2013 6:06 PM

Jun 2012
Great episode again ^^

Very much enjoyable and relaxing

Although I'd like the story to progress a little more at this point.

5/5.

May 9, 2013 8:31 PM

Mar 2011
morrownight said:
bastek66 said:
morrownight said:

>screw up

Yeah, yeah. Producers churn out mainstream garbage and fans get their fix. Have you ever considered that there might be more to anime, or anything for that matter, than what caters to the masses?

Nope. Not at all. Anime is business and businesses want money. So if a studio creates a shit anime that brings in a lot of money for them, they're doing their stuff right and don't care about any criticism. :/
May 9, 2013 9:42 PM

Sep 2012
Oh man was that an amazing episode, I felt like I was in Ledos shoes during this episode 100%,
So much did I learn from Gargantia's culture and way of living today,
NOT only that,but when Amy took off her clothes ,I nearly fainted,aged She's so Damn cute.

Regardless,this episode did not feel "slow" or "boring" 'imo ,but instead it felt like I actually learned somethin about Gargantia.

ROOFL @ Chamber at the end & how the credits cut him off.
May 9, 2013 10:09 PM

Dec 2009
Edefrem said:
Nope. Not at all. Anime is business and businesses want money. So if a studio creates a shit anime that brings in a lot of money for them, they're doing their stuff right and don't care about any criticism. :/

I beg to differ. The anime business would never have gotten where it is today if they never came up with any new ideas, never dared to venture beyond established trends. By simply riding on the successes of the industry, they will get money, but that is a bad attitude to have in any kind of business. The Japanese in particular are famous for believing in a "kaizen", or continual improvement philosophy. For anime producers, that means experimenting with new ideas that could potentially further expand viewership, and at the same time rake in more profits.

What's more, what you are saying is the reason people don't consider manga/anime a form of art. They think it is overly influenced by viewer demand and desire for profit, leaving no room for personal expression. True art is born with the pure intention of creating something beautiful, without pandering to the masses, because the masses do not know beauty until the artist creates it.

StopDropAndBowl said:
Well actually, constantly switching back and forth between intense action and slow, peaceful character development isn't good writing either (it''s called: "inconsistent tone" when you do it) And having character development when there is no real place that it could happen (how does a soldier become a civilian if he is in constant battle?) isn't good writing.

Here's how I'm reading you: "Character development is important." Yes, the characters are important, but so is the story. I don't think any of us are professional screenplay writers, so no point in arguing with fancy terminology. "peaceful character development"? Since when did character development have to be peaceful. If you want an example of character development alongside action, try AKB0048.

People seem to have a hard time understanding why this anime has so much potential. Well, here are some of my ideas for
AirStyles said:
mindless pew-pew

Say the Alliance manages to reach Ledo, what would happen afterwards? Maybe the Alliance would designate Ledo as an ambassador to Earth, and establish full-scale communication with the folks of Gargantia. Maybe an attempt to get the Gargantians, fellow humans, to join the Alliance in their war against the Hideauze. Maybe more people from the Alliance coming to settle on Earth, learning the culture of the Gargantians, a bit of romance between Ledo and Amy as they show each other their separate worlds, and celebration over the reunion between two long-lost yet once related races of humanity. Or perhaps some drama where the Gargantians struggle over the ethics of engaging in war against another life form, both renewing their sense of fear, their awareness of their position in space and testing their convictions for living in peace with their newfound relatives, a conflict of values on a large scale. What's more, I want to learn more about the structure of the Alliance's government. I want to know about the origin of the Hideauze. I want to know more about Avalon, the utopian city where people are free of their military duties.

I think the biggest shock factor between the first episode and the following ones was not the nature of the story or the setting, but the sudden change in scale. First we witness the largest concerted human effort at survival, a struggle of epic proportions, then we are suddenly whisked away onto a desolate, watery, abandoned outpost (literally, metropolis to fishing village), where nothing happens and Ledo doesn't even feel homesick.

Seriously guys, this is not where the party's at.
tealcactusMay 10, 2013 11:47 AM
May 10, 2013 7:43 AM
Jul 2018

It was a nice episode for me.
Ledo running with those gays. HAHA
He has such a cute face. :3
May 10, 2013 9:05 AM

Sep 2012
I did not read the 16 pages of comments here except a few that I picked up by random. I heard that the general view among western fans for this episode is not as positive as previous episodes. For that, I would just copy and paste what I already posted in the Anime sales thread in the News Board:

Gargantia is, like Shingeki no Kyojin (SnK), reaching new height in terms of final projected sales from Amazon Stalker. And again like SnK, this is not always the case for Gargantia to have this >12k projected sales. For several weeks it had settled on a sales projection of around 9.5k, after debuting with an estimation of almost 11k. The big jump of the sales projection can largely be attributed to the very favorably received ep.5 (it got universal praises for the story, directing, animation and character arts) and to a lesser extent, ep.4, which prepared the ground for ep.5.

I did not read the episode 5 discussion (too busy settling down from coming back from a trip) but the praise for the ep.5 in Japan is pretty universal. Of course the swimsuits and how sexy and arousing they are got a lot of attentions, but the story (about the Ghibli-ish feel of learning the ropes in a new environment), the directing (the pacing and how the various scenes get mixed together, for example how it even finds time to show Amy's brother making a fan to benefit him as well as the doctor and the little girl), the animation (the flying kites etc) and the balance of jokes and shedding light on every character (including Chamber, and ep.5 is the first time I saw him mentioned widely as a "moe character"). It is not an exaggeration to say that ep.5 pretty much establishes the series' high opinion by watchers in Japan.

As for the reactions by western fans as "obligatory swimsuit episode", all I can say is "can I expect fans in the west to look deeper and in more angles than becoming easily blinded by fan service scenes for their opinion about a show?" It seems too many care only for the overarching plot and tend to ignore the small details, which fans in Japan are good at picking up. For example, they made comments about Amy being a heroine not commonly seen in late night anime these days because she is not just good at her work and taking care of people but also has good manner by wiping clean the "flute" she tried before returning it to Ledo. Observations like this got a lot of discussions in the Japanese forums. For viewers in Japan, the word "good balance" is often used to describe this episode. I am sure that just having sexy swimsuit galore on parade would not lead to such positive reactions from viewers in Japan. The fan service of course helps a lot, but as I argued before it also needs other elements to work as well, be it the directing, the animation or the screenplay, before getting people to really love a show. It is a shame that too many viewers in the west could not appreciate that their standard of what means a good balance and how much fan service is too much is not the only good standard to have. Fans in Japan can have very good reasons to enjoy a show that is beyond blindly falling for fan service.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
May 10, 2013 10:11 AM

Jan 2010
will next ep will be more fanservice??
AoiMizuMay 10, 2013 10:29 AM

May 10, 2013 10:50 AM
Feb 2013
Was ok, but nothing special. It's nice they make a more light-hearted episode once and a while, but hopefully they don't turn it into a comedy or pure slice-of-life. And even more hopefully they don't turn it into a harem-anime (at one moment, it seemed they were going that way ;-).

I don't mind a bit of fanservice, but the whores Amy's friends are more than enough.

I miss the seriousness from the first 2-3 episodes. I don't mind when it's compensated by the cultural-differences topic, but this time, it started to feel a bit contrived. Having to walk through a corridor full of lust-craved trannies ugly and pushy as hell... an anime trope if I ever saw one. To the point of almost getting him killed? Yeah, right...

I realise the target audience is a bit younger than that of psycho-pass or SSY, but still...let's not exaggerate *TOO* much.
May 10, 2013 11:36 AM

Dec 2009
symbv said:
It seems too many care only for the overarching plot and tend to ignore the small details, which fans in Japan are good at picking up.

That's a little misinformed. Western fans pay plenty attention to detail, I personally do. But it's difficult to give a good rating when there's a large gaping hole in the plot. It's like a ripped kimono. No matter how beautiful the cloth is, how are you going to sell it if it's unwearable?

Fanservice. There is nothing to dislike about it, aside from the fact that it takes up time in the anime. With such a heavy setting, the inclusion of fanservice means sacrificing time that could have been used to create a more well-rounded story, to tighten the seams, or at least connect the ends.

(28歳 男性 アメリカ(カリフォルニア州)
水着回が見たければ、1000万本は流通してるハーレムアニメでも見る。
13話しかないのに、水着回をやって大丈夫なのかが疑問だ。
http://blog.livedoor.jp/kaigai_no/archives/27592192.html

And I find it hard to believe that viewers in Japan don't care about the story.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

346 by Titadou »»
Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

670 by Titadou »»
Sep 20, 11:57 PM

» Gargantia Season 2 Cancelled

DawnJ - Apr 5, 2015

37 by Drakath_V »»
Sep 16, 2:47 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2013

424 by Titadou »»
Sep 15, 4:43 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2013

579 by Titadou »»
Sep 6, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.